[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1511635794743sqt.jpg (16 KB, 250x250)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Post your simple / small / stupid questions here.

>for Linux related >>>/g/linux

READ THE STICKY >>51971506

SEARCH BEFORE POSTING http://ddg.gg/lite/

DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

redirect any newfriends creating their own threads with >>>/g/sqt
>>
>>64698924
load your hard drive's driver into windows. did your harddrive come with a cd? click the load driver button
>>
>>64698924
check the port/controller the disk is connected to isn't disabled in the bios
what kind of disk is it? (sata/nvme/etc)
>>
>>64698440
>>64698504
pls respond
>>
>>64698932
it came with the pc I bought, I don't have a cd for it
>>64698935
it's a sata
>>
File: dogs then dogs now.jpg (55 KB, 480x480)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
What is the name of the browser addon that deletes a certain type of cookie when you close the browser? The icon looks like a slice of pie.

Have a meme in return.
>>
>>64699072
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/
?

if not maybe its here
http://www.logicalincrements.com/firefox/
>>
>>64699095
Yup. That was the one. Thanks.
>>
Assuming I'm legally consuming media responsibly behind a vpn... is kodi still the easiest and most casual way to download movies/tv/music or is there something new?
>>
>>64698946
>I don't have a cd for it
open up your PC and look at the model name/number physically printed on the drive
then download the appropriate driver from the manufacturer's website
>>
>>64699099
BTW you don't need that on quantum
>>
File: 1425361815341.gif (2.05 MB, 400x334)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB GIF
I want to start casually get into video editing. Do you guys think adobe premiere is good? Is there any universally agreed version to use (like 2015/16/18 etc)? I know the latest version of software isn't always the best.
>>
>>64699141
oh really? Is there a setting I need to turn on or is it automatic?
>>
>>64699151
It's just inherent changes to the browser. Flash cookies are now handled alongside regular ones. Also flash itself is being fazed out.
>>
Ordered a new battery for my thinkpad and also one of those superdrive batteries. Is there any way to check my current hardware with some terminal command? My current battery is pretty fucked and i'd like to see how long it's life was. posting from T430s
>>
Can I replace my CPU with another of the same socket without having to fuck around with reinstalling windows etc?
>>
What is the best all around 15-inch laptop for 850 - 1000 dollars, with an emphasis on the screen? I bought an Asus Vivobook Pro but the screen was the worst thing I've ever seen.

It seems like the XPS 15 is on sale right now for 1500 dollars. I really want this but I think it's too much money. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/dell-xps-15-9560-laptop/91076tjj2wfb/3XSS?
>>
>>64699147
nah torrent sony vegas on the pirate bay. TONS of resources on youtube, google you name it.
>>
>>64699257
most likely
>>
File: 1518181605413.png (401 KB, 720x672)
401 KB
401 KB PNG
Is it possible to make android app without proper IDE (Android Studio/Eclipse) and only using text editor like vscode/vim/emacs?
>>
>>64699224
try upower or look under /sys/class/power_supply/BAT#
>>
File: Untitled.png (39 KB, 1035x608)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
My vidya build was going fine for months. Then one day I got massive fps drop in low intensive games lik csgo. Now I get low fps in all my games whether it's high or low intensive. I don't understand what's going on.
>>
File: Screenshot (19).png (316 KB, 1920x1080)
316 KB
316 KB PNG
is there anyway i can make the buttons bigger?
>>
So I gotta make a multi-threaded banking simulator for class. Each account can be withdrawn from and deposited into, and unrelated accounts should be able to do operations at the same time.
Easy enough.

But accounts that are overdrawn need to be able to wait until they have enough of a balance to withdraw.
I can't for the life of me get this to work. Spent 8 hours doing anything I could to get it working, but no matter what I do I get deadlocks somewhere.

Any advice without me just posting the whole project?
I'm using ordered reentrancelocks to encapsule the withdrawing/depositing in each thread.
>>
>>64699406
Check to make sure you don't have some ridiculous AA setting forced in your drivers.
Run Furmark while looking at the GPU-Z sensors tab and see if anything looks fishy. (clocks not increasing from idle, overheating)
>>
>>64699257
you might have to re-activate but other than that it should be fine
>>
>>64699471
Will do, I'll report back once I do this.
>>
File: 1517008713000.jpg (313 KB, 1024x685)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
How reliable are 2TB WD Greens as external backup drives ie. seldomly used drives? The intellipark shit shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>64699257
might have to reinstall a new driver but not windows

>>64699260
depends on what you need it for. 850 to 1000 dollars seems like a bit much unless you want a gaymen machine or need to do video / picture editing. maybe the wiki can give some help?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Laptop_Buying_Guide

>>64699386
of course its possible if you dont need the features provided by an ide
>>
>>64698936
are you running the setup from windows or from a bootable flash drive?
>>
>>64699548
Don't you need to link the manifest and others to make it work as an app?
>>
File: 1511526027178.png (283 KB, 344x500)
283 KB
283 KB PNG
Sometimes explorer.exe will take up around 100% cpu for a few seconds, my computer freezes for the same time, a single dllhost from the system32 directory comes up, and I'll be disconnected from wifi and the wifi connection won't show up for a minute or two. This has been happening for about a month, once or twice a day. I've run a scan with mbam (nothing came up), run chkdisk (nothing came up), and an sfc scan (it said there were some issues that it could not repair). I've turned off icon thumbnails since apparently corrupted thumbnails can trigger something like this and it didn't help. I've monitored it when it happens with process explorer and during the issue SysMain sechost.dll!SubscribeServiceChangeNotifications+0x290 takes most of the CPU cycles.

I'm somewhat lost as to what it could be. It happens so rarely and to my experience can't be triggered by something I'm doing, so what can I do to try to contain it?
>>
>>64699551
bootable usb
the usb works, I tested it in another computer and it was fine
>>
>>64699570
superfetch
>>
>>64699547
The intellipark shit is endemic, it'll always be a problem.
>>
>>64699147
>I want to start casually get into video editing.

It's best to start with iMovie, which is also free.
>>
>>64699570
When's the last time mbam picked something up and the last time you did a fresh install? Might as well use this as an excuse to start clean again.
>>
>>64699586
Mbam has never picked up something and the last fresh install was about 2 months ago.
>>
i recently started making a website to fuck around with an learn basic web dev, i was wondering how i could achieve something where it looks like text is being typed as it displays, like instead of the line of text displaying right away, id rather it be as if someone was typing it. would javascript be used for this?
>>
>>64699574
try running the setup from windows if you can, otherwise try disabling usb 3 in the bios settings or plugging the flash drive into a usb 2 port.
>>
>>64699540
Oh, also check CPU temps under load. I didn't see the first "under low intensive games." Low intensive games are usually CPU capped, so if your CPU is thermally throttling that will kill your frames.
The CPU-Z stress test should tell you what you need to know there. (It's not as intensive as Prime95 but more in line with what a game will pull. Prime95 uses AVX which can increase temps by a good margin)
>>
>>64698900
Hi /g/, just wondering if there's any comp ability issues with simply throwing over hard drives from old to new laptops. Just threw over a win7 install from my older laptop to my thinkpad. Programs and files are untouched, but I'm just worried there's like old drivers hidden somewhere that's gonna be bloat.
>>
File: anti.png (82 KB, 2560x1440)
82 KB
82 KB PNG
>>64699634
Here are the setting of anti aliasing in nvidia control panel. It looks like nothing on that is enabled so it can't be that
>>
File: capped.png (19 KB, 752x508)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>64699634
Here is the GPU Z tab. At the top you can see the gpu is going full power and back down to idle but I think that's because I keep alt tabbing out of the game to check it. I circled that tab because it always says IDLE no matter if I play the game or not. For information, I'm using Total war warhammer 2 as a test.
>>
is USB storage ok for archiving? just 50gb of quake demos and files
>>
After a long break - I'm going to start developing hacks for video games again, mainly league of legends.

I have access to unlimited ip's but not hardware - so my plan was to virtualize and pass-trough the GPU for testing, reverse engineering and other shit.

What are the downsides of this? Will I have input lag or that's negligible?

I know for sure if I do this on Linux I can be 10 times more lazy as I have access to huge pool of tools to automate 80% of what I will do.
>>
Is there a variant of simultaneous multithreading that more than just doubles physical core count?
For example, a CPU has 8 cores, but 32 threads?
>>
File: wew.png (126 KB, 1788x615)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
>>64699737
>>64699715
>>64699634
So I did the cpu test and nothing strange is happening but I noticed something in GPUZ. That green bar at the bottom shows up while I was stress testing and apparently it says I'm limited by both
>pwr
>Vrel
You can read the description that the program gave me in the image I'm posting. If it helps I got this surge protector (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y24DEU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and I think that's what's limiting the power that reaches my gpu for some reason. No idea why since it was just fine for months.
>>
Best phone to use sailfish os? I'm so done with laggy proprietary software. Want something snappy with a web browser, can make calls and text.
>>
>>64699793
No, impossible. It will always be twice the amount for quite some time.
>>
>>64699829
I don't necessarily mean when will desktop components get over 2 threads per core, just curious about the possibility of running more than that on a processor in general.
At first, I couldn't think of what to type on Google, but after a fair bit of searching, I found out that IBM has a 4-way SMT capable chip, as well as Intel Xeon Phi, and probably more that I can seem to find.
>>
>>64699434
Turn up DPI scaling on your Windows.
>>
File: IMG_20180211_160115.png (78 KB, 1080x1722)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
This comes up when I use Open VPN for Android to connect through Mullvad.

Phone is Huawei. Android version is 6.0.
>>
>>64699449
bool withdraw(double amt) {
if(funds > 0) {
//perform actual withdrawal
//...
} else {
//return false which should tell other code the withdrawal has failed and the user should be told to find some more money
}
}
>>
File: g.jpg (1.72 MB, 1512x2016)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
These lines showed up on my monitor this morning. Defect? or something else? they appear on everything.
>>
>>64699611
Yeah, you'd have a Javascript timer that runs a function to display the next letter when it fires. Then you can have it on a fixed interval, or re-set the timer for a new slightly different random interval for a more authentic effect.
>>
>>64700051
Yeah that's a defect. If it's in warranty, see about RMAing it. Otherwise try a light whack on the side, that sometimes fixes things like this.

Also what is with the colored ring in the middle of the picture? Is this a camera artifact? If it's on the monitor itself, I'd say it looks like something pressed on it there.
>>
File: 1 (12).jpg (1.38 MB, 2016x1512)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
>>64700076

Just my phone I think. I was thinking the same thing after taking the picture. I cant see it on the screen itself. Yet every picture Iv taken I can still see it. The monitors less then 2 months old so I'll just get a replacement.
>>
>>64699989
Sun Niagara runs 8 threads per core. Probably the most extreme example you'll find in general purpose CPUs.
>>
>>64699737
Your clocks are going up to non-idle speeds but your GPU load is practically 0 throughout. Your temps don't budge

>>64699801
vRel might have something to do with it detecting Furmark. Both AMD and Nvidia treat Furmark special since it otherwise runs GPUs to ridiculous levels. It's a "benchmark" that reviewers use that only benchmarks Furmark.
That managed to peg your util. What frame rate were you getting?
>>
>>64700123
Watch it on the phone screen as you move the phone (or take sequential pictures). If the artifact moves with the phone, it's a defect on the camera. If it stays put on the screen, it's a screen defect that is only visible through the camera for whatever polarization or wavelength related reason.
>>
Is there any way to combat ad insertion in streams? Blocking the domain serving the ads kills the whole stream, which I guess is by design.
>>
>>64700167
Close your eyes whenever ads come up.
>>
>>64700164
Looks like it can be reproduced anywhere I point it at the screen. So its likely just my phone. Thank you for that little extra help.
>>
>>64700051
Check cables.
Plug it into another source to make sure it's not your GPU (or plug that into another monitor)
>>
How to solve alsa playback underruns? i have a qemu win 10 client connectet to pulse audio. If I run pulse audio debug it shows me alsa detecting playback buffer underruns.
>>
I have an outdated Linux live cd which I use from time to time to troubleshoot if windows has issues, but it doesn't play audio or video files. I'm gonna update it and make a live USB With the latest version. Does it come with the codecs now or do I need to add them during the install?
>>
In calcurse how can I repeat an event on several days of the week? For example I have a class on Monday and Wednesday. I created an event on Monday and want it to repeat every Monday and Wednesday afterwards until a certain date.
I know I could create two events and repeat each one but I thought using terminal applications was about efficiency?
>>
>>64700258
- ensure pulse is running with high priority (low nice)
- consider increasing your buffer size
>>
>>64700269
Why not just download the latest iso?
>>
>>64700274
High priority is set.
How can I increase the buffer in pulse audio?
>>
>>64700232

I switched to an old cheaper monitor and there were no lines. Used the hdmi cable I used for the older monitor on this one and lines were back, So it cant be the cable or gpu. And no lines using another monitor would also mean its just this screen. It also looks like they appear on the menu display too. I'll just organize to get a replacement under warranty.
>>
>>64700277
That's what I did, does it come with all the codecs? From what I remember older versions required an extra step. Also is Rufus the best to create the usb?
>>
how do i get rid of this black background on "faded" stuff that htop suddenly started doing
left is now right is before
>>
why do people buy servers and fill it with like 12 "vms"?
Why not just have one linux distro on it and settle with that? Why deal with the slow overhead of having a bunch of concurrent linux vms on a server?
>>
>>64700286
Is your VM itself on high priority?
>>
>>64700339
Set the "black" color for your terminal colorset to the same shade of gray you have as the background.
>>
>>64700370
that's not fixing it
Right is the left computer but sshed into another computer where htop shows fine so the terminal is handling it fine but that specific computer seems to do it this certain way.
>>
>>64700290
I honestly don't know. But I don't remember needing to update anything to play video when I installed my current distro, so there's a pretty good chance it does have them.
Yeah, rufus/unetbootin/universal usb installer are fine.
>>
>>64700288
Yup, it's the monitor.
>>
>>64700361
I have static threads bound to CPU cores but don't have high priority, to I set it with virsh edit?
>>
I keep getting shocked. This is independent of my computer I think as it'll happen getting out of the car even after driving 8+hours a heavy bit of static to my metal keyboard body once knocked the power off for the whole PC. I'm being careful but can't predict when I'm "charged". Any way I can circumvent the risk of my system restarting without spending money?

>>64700352
One reason is likely security. Virtualization means the good shit doesn't have to sit in that system. In the event one VM is compromised you still can turn it off.

to my knowledge it is still possible for a server computer to be hacked from within one its VMs though
>>
if my linux machine has two gigabit ethernets is it possible to use them both somehow
>>
>>64700491
You can have 2 connections doing different things, or you can look into teaming.
>>
>>64700491
you receive two ip addresses from your dhcp server and then pick a gateway. you can have per interface settings for servers but I don't think you can have two default gateways
>>
>>64700480
Touch the computer case first.
>>
How far back does browser history go? Does it auto delete after a certain point? If so how can I keep them?
>>
>>64699224
lscpu

Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit Byte Order: Little Endian CPU(s): 4 On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3 Thread(s) per core: 1 Core(s) per socket: 4 Socket(s): 1 NUMA node(s): 1 Vendor ID: GenuineIntel CPU family: 6 Model: 23 Stepping: 10 CPU MHz: 1998.000 BogoMIPS: 5302.48 Virtualization: VT-x L1d cache: 32K L1i cache: 32K L2 cache: 2048K NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-3
>>
What's the least botnet chromecast/firestick type device? My Panasonic is "smart" it can stream media over DLNA, but it chokes donkey dick on 1080p movies, while AppleTV can play 1080p fine, even when the DLNA media is local and the Apple is streaming from the internet.

I'd like something that can browse SMB shares or cast easily from VLC/Windows/Linux
>>
>>64700951
rpi or similar with openelec
>>
>>64698900
This shitty retard program:
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bulk_file_changer.html

"BulkFileChanger". It's terrible. By default it NEVER respects the order you fed it files, and will instead sort images in a retard computer-logic order such as 1,11,21 or something. The way to evade this failure is to add one second to every date you change. So if you wish to inject 100 images in between two images, you best hope the latter image was saved 100 seconds after the former, else this program will fail you.

Will someone please recommend to me a date changing program for Windows 7 that isn't complete dogshit? I only wish to batch change file dates, and fill the dates from an arbitrary file. Is that so much to ask? This program can do it but only if I rename everything to conform to its computer logic order, since otherwise it will completely ignore the order I put the files in unless I add a second difference between each file. What the fuck, honestly. I left the dev explicit feedback on this failure half a year ago yet the shit still hasn't updated.
>>
>>64701077
Well I was about to say "never mind I figured it out" but that's not true. I googled "change file date command" and the first link was a superuser thread, where a comment stated there's another nirsoft program called nircmd that does it straight from the command line. So I just took a command I thought would work and applied it in BulkFileChanger's "action" menu thing, and I thought it worked but clearly it did nothing, since the files have a second apart from them which was how I left them earlier. I still need a replacement to avoid this failure program entirely.
>>
hi /sqg/ i have problems configuring my cock.li account in thunderbird. i'm using the domain @420blaze.it and the server name is pop.420blaze.it, which doesn't work, saying the smtp is incorrectly configured. I changed it to mail.cock.li, which works, but says my account password is incorrect and that authentication failed. pls help
>>
Is there any advantage in using startx (xinit) instead of a display manager like lightdm ?
>>
>>64701246
not in the sense that it does something lightdm doesn't, just in that it's one less thing to load and run
if you don't need anything lightdm does over xinit, then you can pick either
>>
Why do server CPUs have so many cores?

Why do home CPUs have several cores? If having many is not important, why don't they have 1, like they used to? If having more is important, why don't they have as many as server CPUs?
>>
>>64701246
It has a graphical login screen. With xinit you log in on the console and then run xinit/startx, or have it start automatically.

A display manager also works around certain GPU/driver combinations that nuke the VTs in some way when they init.
>>
>>64701281
>Why do server CPUs have so many cores?
Because they do a LOT of things at once, like servicing many concurrent requests.

>Why do home CPUs have several cores? If having many is not important, why don't they have 1, like they used to?
It is important, especially as more programs become multithreaded and we demand more multitasking from our computers. It also provides a way to give you more computing power since we've been hitting a wall for the last while one making a single core much faster.

>If having more is important, why don't they have as many as server CPUs?
Because that costs more and past a certain point it adds very little for typical use cases.
>>
>>64701281
because they often work with tons of threads, many of which are quite heavy
consumers often run a handful of threads, but only a few of them at most use a lot of cpu time
>>
>>64701297
>>64701305
Thanks
>>
File: 1516088870733.jpg (103 KB, 768x960)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
Is there a way to transfer contacts from old nokia phone running symbian ANNA S60 to android?
>>
I installed some shitty gnutella/ed2k app that stole the magnet link association from qbittorrent
when the checkbox in qbittorrent to "associate with magnet links" didn't do anything, and qbittorrent didn't show up in the list of options in the control panel "set file associations" menu, I resorted to fucking about half-blindly in the registry

now magnet links work again but the magnet entry has entirely disappeared from that "set associations" menu, so I probably deleted something I shouldn't have
how much of a big deal is this
>>
How do you specify multiple files in cmd? Like I have two different ones right on my desktop, how do I apply a command to both of them at once?
>>
Keepass or keepassxc? On W7
>>
>>64701339
The SIM card
>>
>>64700043
Transactions are randomly done in the main, so I can't wait for the user on anything.
However, even if this was stupid, this did help me. I was using a method to wait for enough money before I tried to withdraw, but maybe just looping outside the withdraw and waiting in the if then statement would work.
It doesn't seem like it'd change anything but it's worth a shot.
>>
>>64701706
SIM card have limited storage, I want to transfer about ~1000 number, also there's a limit on the name space.
>>
I have multiple email accounts, what's a good way to manage them all in a single interface which also isn't a security issue? I wanna be notified whenever one account receives new mail but I worry that the software storing passwords could be an issue unless they're encrypted?
>>
>>64701608
https://keepassxc.org/docs/
>Q: Why KeePassXC instead of KeePassX?
>A: KeePassX is an amazing password manager, but hasn't seen much active development for quite a while. Many good pull requests were never merged and the original project is missing some features which users can expect from a modern password manager. Hence, we decided to fork KeePassX to continue its development and provide you with everything you love about KeePassX plus many new features and bugfixes.
>>
What's a good playlist to burn in a pair of new headphones
>>
>>64701754
I know xc is an update of x but what about the original keepass
>>
>>64701771
Yeah, sorry. They had a q&a thing on that too, but that paragraph seemed more convincing for KeePassXC's case than the other, so my mind went blank and I went with it. But they had one comparing to regular KeePass, too.

https://keepassxc.org/docs/#faq-keepass
>Q: Why KeePassXC instead of KeePass?
>A: KeePass is a very proven and feature-rich password manager and there is nothing fundamentally wrong with it. However, it is written in C# and therefore requires Microsoft's .NET platform. On systems other than Windows, you can run KeePass using the Mono runtime libraries, but you won't get the native look and feel which you are used to.
>KeePassXC, on the other hand, is developed in C++ and runs natively on all platforms giving you the best-possible platform integration.

It seems to talk about feeling, and context and shit... I'm not sure. I guess what to take away is it doesn't matter vs. KeePass.
>>
So I'm trying to reinstall windows on an old laptop of mine. There's a Win7 product key on the bottom, so that's no problem, but I don't have the damned install CD and the Microsoft no longer provides the ISO for free. Is there a way to get the ISO without resorting to piracy? I do have a legit product key, I've just lost my installation disc.
>>
I remember I had some old pictures on my android phone that I deleted like 2-3 weeks ago, is there a way to get them back? Like does your phone automatically cloud-store them or have they been overwritten by now?
>>
>>64702019
>Microsoft no longer provides the ISO for free
You sure?
>>
>>64701608
don't the keepassxyz clones only exist because the original client only runs on windows or something

>https://keepass.info/features.html
>Process memory protection: your passwords are encrypted while KeePass is running, so even when the operating system dumps the KeePass process to disk, your passwords aren't revealed.

the original client has security features like that and i trust it more than the clones to get them right (if the clones even have anything like that)

i don't see a reason to use a fork of it on windows, i use keepassx and tried keepass2 (both from apt) on linux and they're both like worse versions of the original client on windows
>>
>>64702019
Did you try this ?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7
>>
>Why do some USB cables enable me to tether my phone to my laptop throught them and others just charge it?
>Why do older phone charger plugs just maintain my phone battery instead of actually charging it even without any use?
>What to look for when buying a charger/charging cable to ensure the shortest charge time?
>>
My router interferes with my radio so the quality of the radio becomes shit. The router and radio are in the same room and I can't but them somewhere else. What can I do against it other than buying a new router or radio.
>>
>>64702329
Try changing the channel your wifi uses.
>>
I have an old SSD that was used for another computer and it had a split partition so when I put it into my new computer it reads as "system (D:)" and "windows (G:)"

I'm using a new ssd for my OS and was wondering how I format and turn the D and G partitions back into one drive?
>>
You know how you can go on a board and search for a thread in the catalog?
Is there a way to do this globally on the whole website?
I'm trying to find threads about a topic that doesn't strictly fall into the category of just one board, but I don't want to open up like 20 boards and search the catalogs one by one.
I guess I could write a script that does this, but I don't have the time to do that right now.
>>
File: 1473487902556.jpg (68 KB, 645x773)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
Can anyone explain to me what does entropy (in computer science) mean?
>>
>>64702365
Disk management. Just delete the partitions and format.
>>
>>64702429
Thanks
>>
File: 1494770179433.jpg (25 KB, 451x630)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
What is the difference between PCI and PCIe connectors? how comes PCI cards cannot be used in PCIe slots?
>>
>>64702210
God someone please answer all three of these.

I have like 4 usb cables lying around but only one of them allows me to browse through my phones files.
>>
>>64702520
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI
>>
What causes computers to bootloop?
>>
>>64702654
A loop in the boot.
>>
File: 1516932454537.jpg (41 KB, 1024x520)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
https://my.mixtape.moe/mgdbhc.mp4
is my hard drive toast?
crystal disk info says nothing is wrong,i bought it sometime in 2016 so the warranty is gone
i'm trying to reset to sell the laptop it's installed in but it keeps freezing
i didn't really use it all that much
could it be from the laptop itself?
if there's nothing i can do to fix the hd i can just toss it out and sell the laptop without it because i just want it gone
>>
>>64702659
but why? and how to fix it?
>>
Since version 58 Firefox displays websites sometimes completely wrong and I have to reload them to be shown correctly. Does this problem come from FF or not?
>>
>>64702728
too broad an issue, might as well just say "my computer is crashing, how fix"
a bootloop is caused by the system being unable to boot fully, rebooting for one reason or another before it can complete, consistently, causing a loop
could be a software/driver issue, could be hardware, could be malware, who knows
>>
>>64702757
Don't have this problem neither on Linux nor two W7 machines with 58 FF, maybe you have outdated addons?
>>
>>64702786
>maybe you have outdated addons?
Just checked, it's not the case.
>>
>>64702777
thanks
>>
>>64702665
my hard drives make such noises when they don't get enough power. check if it's the psu/plug fault
>>
>>64702932
how do i do that?
>>
File: 1501203642500.png (135 KB, 465x376)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
>>64698900
Is there a name for this sort of thing? It prevents cables from fraying and I want an iphone charger that has it.
>>
best way to archive just around 50gb of shit?
>>
My IP address changes every time I restart my PC and it's inconvenient, I do not have a home network and I assume I get my IP from a DHCP that's in the apartment building somewhere, can I just assign a static IP on the pc and hope it doesn't conflict or is that not how things work?
>>
really stupid question here but for the last few days my internet has been rubberbanding. doing a speedtest will show what i am supposed to be getting and another test a second later will show a tenth in download speed, pretty sure the line is unstable in some way as ping tests show a roller coaster.
what is the most likely problem?
>>
File: staticIP.png (14 KB, 400x455)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>64703454
I assume you are talking about your local IP (not your public IP).
You can set a static IP.
>pic related, windows static IP config

For IP conflict, can't tell for sure. There may be an error message.
>>
>>64703119
It's sometimes called a 'molded strain relief'
>>
Is there a way to turn off mobile data usage for certain apps on android? This was one of the most useful features when I had an iPhone, surely there's a way
>>
File: 1.jpg (57 KB, 470x687)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>64700269
Porteus allows you to have an adapting live medium
>>
Is it pointless running a game at over 60fps if my monitor is only 60hz?

and say I upgrade to a monitor that is 4k with 144hz, I would want a computer that could run games at 4k as well as at 144fps?

Would 60fps still look better on a 144hz monitor?
>>
What is the best value for an internal SSD?

Looking for something between 500-900GB
>>
Testing my new PC I built

Under load the CPU is at around 50c and the GPU is around 70c

8600k with a corsair h100i

gtx 970 evga stock cooling
>>
>>64704011
Forgot to ask whether this is pretty standard operation
>>
>>64703856
Yes, it is pointless.
I don't even think there are 4K displays capable of 144hz yet.
>>
>>64704011
That's totally fine
>>
>>64703856
What makes you think that just because a monitor is *capable* of a higher refresh rate that the same framerate will somehow look smoother?
>>
>>64704169
I asked a question because I don't know the answer you sperg
>>
>>64704185
Clearly, I'm just genuinely curious as to what makes you think the same fps will look different
>>
>>64702757
Anyone?
>>
Can someone link me to one of those website archiving services? The one that is frequently used here preferrably. I'm trying to google it but it's not showing up.
>>
>>64698900
That stupid Grand Summoners ad broke both the 404 redirect, and something in the catalog(I have to manually refresh to get it to work now). How do I fix this?
>>
About to finally get a monitor, should I get LG 23MP48HQ-P or BenQ GW2470ML?
LG 23MP4HQ-P
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025346
BenQ GW2470ML
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014441
The LG is IPS and 5ms but I'm worried there's going to be some ghosting
>>
How do I update my plex server, and will it mess with my custom setup?
>>
How can i activate Windows 10 Enterprise, i tried using that pico shit and it tried to install all kinds of malicious stuff so i cancelled it
>>
How do I torrent safely?

UTorrent is fucked so I can no longer use that.. What other ways can i download torrents that is safe? What programs to use.

And where to find torrents. Full tv series like ghost adventures.
thx
>>
I graduated with a BA in biology and have been working as a research cuck for the past year or so. I've been working on genetic circuits and biological computers, where you manipulate DNA and RNA to work as a computer.

This has spurred an interest in going back to get a non-meme degree like CompE or CompSci. But I'm not sure which I should do. I don't want to work in biology anymore. I am interested a little more in hardware, so compE should be my choice right?

Anything I should learn to prepare myself? Have been learning to code with python.
>>
>>64704221
What are the odds of having exactly the same frame rate unless the game in question is locked to 60 FPS? Normally if you can maintain constant 60 you could run at least 80~100-ish uncapped.
>>
File: Capture.png (56 KB, 1058x393)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
Anyone knows how can I edit values in a .dll file?
Im trying to change the font size in a game and using ILSpy i managed to find where the data is stored in a file called UnityEngine.UI.dll
So do I use a hex editor or something to find a value and change it?
If thats the case I did that and it changed nothing which means I have the wrong file :(
>>
What can I do to produce a BSOD crash in a VM? For win7 / 2008 Server
>>
>>64704924
open metasploit and start sending exploits.
>>
>>64704747
Is BitLord any good?
>>
Is there a way to read a password protected .sdf database on Unix? SqlServerCe 4.0.
>>
Whats the advantage in using a e-mail client (like Thunderbird) over, say, gmail in the browser?
>>
File: 1515236477665.jpg (165 KB, 728x546)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
how do i make my dell laptop not run games in snail mode when on battery

theres no high performance power option just balanced and dell
>>
So my pc is randomly turning itself off, complete power off no shut down. Could happen 5 minutes just browsing youtube or half way through downloading a game. Recently got a new hard drive, installed new windows it also has a new psu. Its not overheating my temps seem fine, all fans working, wiring all seems to be good inside? What could it be bros?
>>
My PC hard freezes and reboots occasionally. It always freezes and reboots when I open up a cmd prompt or try to access system things like Apps & Features. It doesn't freeze when I access around files in the Windows drive.
At first I thought it was a PSU problem (it's like 8 years old now), then I thought it was my Windows' SSD (also 8 years old) but there seems to be no issue with its general health. This also started happening after I transported my PC for a couple hours driving, so I checked all the wiring again and nothing was apparent.
What could it be bros?
>>
I just reinstalled my system and forgot to backup the custom commands I'd had in my bin folder.

One of them was for a movie stream, but I can't remember the damn title. Something like alsprk.tv or something similar. Do any of you know the name of the damn stream?
>>
A week or so ago WhatsApp decided my phone was 2old and stamped me as incompatible

No big deal, I'll get a new phone whenever, but then I remembered there were a couple of meetings on there which I had not noted down elsewhere yet

When i try to open the application it shows like I just installed for the first time, and when I try to sign in it loads for a while and says ''sorry but fuck off lol''

Is there any way to retrieve my conversations?
>>
>>64705049
Try changing the PSU cable and the power outlet.
Try in multiple rooms in the house.
>>
>>64702210
>>64702615

You need to use a cable that uses all four contacts/pins/wires. Some cables only pass the two power pins.

Older phone chargers and most older desktop/laptop USB ports only put out ~half an amp(500ma). Newer USB chargers are rated up to 3 amps(3,000ma).

Looks for a Charger that is rated for 2 or more amps at 5volts. If your phone has a proprietary quick charge get a compatible charger. Some non standard quick charging schemes also send a higher voltage down the cable.

The wall adapters have small text printed on them, usually on the underside. Look at the text that says "Output 5v, [some number]a".
>>
>>64704996
Privacy, local storage, arguably better UI for multiple accounts.
>>
I'm downloading 36 GB worth of artbooks from MEGA using their desktop program.
Free users have to wait a few hours before downloading more than 5 GB which I would be okay with, but more often than not the counter just resets back to a several hours and doesn't download anything.
24 hours later I'm at 15 GB and this dynamic bandwidth limit seems broken.
>>
>>64705049
Before you do anything else, I would open your case up and unplug and replug every cord that's easily reachable, especially the power cables (inside and outside.)

See if that helps things. If not, because it has a new PSU, I'd then try unplugging your HDDs from the system, booting the computer to your BIOS and letting it chill for like 10m. If the PSU is the issue, there is a chance it will still turn off.

>>64705149
Same thing as above, unplug and replug everything that you can reach, even if it looks fine. Moving your case around can loosen cables a bit and loose cables can easily freeze your system.

Assuming you're on W10, are you able to use the computer for long periods if you avoid the above-mentioned programs? If so, it is likely a software issue, and you may want to refresh your W10 system
>>
>>64703119
It's called a grommet or a boot.
>>
>>64705315
If you have a dynamic IP address, turn your router off for 30s and get a new IP.
Try using a free VPN service.
Retrying likely resets the counter, if it's not done with the initial timer. Wait at least 6-12 hours before retrying
>>
>>64704996
It's cleaner than having five tabs in your webrowser open, one for each email address. It can also run minimized in the background and check mail at intervals.

It's probably only useful for you if you have several addresses and need to check them often.
>>
Ok so if I buy 120 or 144 or higher refresh rate monito, I get it that stuff will be smoother at higher FPS. But what I dont know is if something is running low FPS (~20fps) will it appear WORSE on a 144hz monitor than it would on a 60hz monitor because the monitor is refreshing faster? Does low frame rate become more apparent?

Im like %85 sure the answer is no but hey that's why its a stupid fucking question
>>
>>64704747
qBittorrent is very similar to μTorrent, but it is open-source. User-friendly and cross-platform as well.
>>
>>64705399
>Does low frame rate become more apparent?
Yes, but not because it looks worse on the new monitor, you will simply develop a higher standard
>>
>>64704670
Open up your plex server in your browser, go to settings and there should be an option to update. It's doubtful an update will affect your setup, but it depends on how long it has been and what sort of edits you have made
>>
>>64705363
I have a static IP.
The program seems to handle the resetting/resuming/downloading all on its' own, it just sucks at it.
I could stop the download, but a now 20 GB folder would take a fuckton of time to even start up again.
>>
>>64705399
No, it's not like the switch from CRT TVs to HD, where all old game systems literally look like shit with better pixel definition. Everything will look just as good, but, as the other anon said, once you're exposed to higher framerates, it may be more difficult to go back
>>
>>64705459
That sucks. Afaik, mega has patched all ways to get past the download limit, so waiting patiently and using a VPN may be your only options.
>>
>>64704747
>UTorrent is fucked

uTorrent is beyond fucked

Use transmission, vuze, or deluge instead.
>>
How much do you guys actually enjoy programming?

I thought I did, but as part of my university course I get a job for one year and I've been on a downward spiral wondering if I've made some huge mistake. I mostly do javascript and java and I'm ready to go fucking crazy. There's no fun at all, and I've got no enthusiasm to program in my spare time at all, and I've begun wondering if I ever actually liked it or if I was just lying to myself. Is there anything I could try or do I actually not like it after all?
>>
>>64704805
Sounds like you want a degree in electrical engineering/compE with a minor in CompSci.

They probably share some course credit requirements. Start out with base/core classes for both so you can get a feel for what you like before committing to one.
>>
>>64704873
dll files are usually shared libraries. You might change things in multiple places unintentionally.

I'm not sure if they have a checksum for integrity at the start/end of the file. If they do your changes won't work.
>>
>>64705167
Look for files types commonly associated with streams and playlists.
>>
>>64699403
>>64700879
Thanks lads
root@debian:/home/henry# upower -d
//...

Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
native-path: BAT0
vendor: SANYO
model: 45N1037
serial: 4813
power supply: yes
updated: Mon 12 Feb 2018 10:44:54 AM PST (73 seconds ago)
has history: yes
has statistics: yes
battery
present: yes
rechargeable: yes
state: charging
warning-level: none
energy: 11.35 Wh
energy-empty: 0 Wh
energy-full: 32.16 Wh
energy-full-design: 39 Wh
energy-rate: 31.234 W
voltage: 12.097 V
time to full: 40.0 minutes
percentage: 35%
capacity: 82.4615%
technology: lithium-ion
icon-name: 'battery-good-charging-symbolic'
History (charge):
1518461094 35.000 charging
History (rate):
1518461094 31.234 charging

Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT1
native-path: BAT1
power supply: yes
updated: Mon 12 Feb 2018 10:46:01 AM PST (6 seconds ago)
has history: yes
has statistics: yes
battery
present: yes
rechargeable: yes
state: charging
warning-level: none
energy: 0 Wh
energy-empty: 0 Wh
energy-full: 0 Wh
energy-full-design: 0 Wh
energy-rate: 0 W
percentage: 0%
capacity: 100%
icon-name: 'battery-caution-charging-symbolic'

root@debian:/home/henry#
>>
>>64705614
executables look for dlls in multiple places with different priorities, starting in their own folder
anon can leave his unityengine.ui.dll in the same folder as the game executable. that particular exe will use the local version of the dll, while any other programs on the computer that try to use it will still find the unmodified shared version in whichever folder it lives in
plenty of windows applications use techniques like this, usually for shit like the microsoft visual c++ redistributable dll because ms are retards and break compatibility every version, so programs that use it must only use the exact version they were developed with and not any more-recently-updated system versions
>>
Im going to buy a replacement charger for my laptop, im tight on money so I'll go second hand, the seller has the exact Part Number my current one uses but he says he's selling it because his motherboard died. This made me wonder, generally speaking can a bad charger damage a laptop?
>>
>>64705832
It can damage a laptop battery, yes, they can shorten the lifespan, but it won't be long before it'll need to be on the charger full-time anyway.

As far as standard off-brand chargers go, you don't need to worry about any other parts being affected though
>>
>>64704996
laws written in the 70s when people still used physical pens and fucking paper allow law enforcement to seize without a warrant any emails that stay on a mail provider's server for 3+ months, counting it as "abandoned" just as a letter sitting in the post office would be
yes, even if you connect to that mail provider every day during those 3 months and look at the email, as long as a copy of it stays on the server

using an IMAP client like thunderbird to download all your mail and preferably delete it from the server avoids this
>>
File: 1506613558885.jpg (301 KB, 814x678)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
>>64698900
question
If i'm on a p2p filesharing network like gnutella and a search turns up files with shit like "pthc" in the name
how do I get these peers v&

though actually i'm using a program that connects to multiple protocols at once (ed2k+gnutella+gnutella2) and I'm not sure how to tell which one they're on
>>
>>64703088
sorry for the late reply. connect the disk to some other (working) computer and see it everything is fine
>>
I installed Debian without any desktop environment (muh minimalism). How do I make it boot straight into i3wm? Do I need to download any supplementary drivers for Intel graphics? What is a good program with a GUI that I can connect to WiFi with? (I don't want to do it in the terminal for now.) I tried the Gnome Network Manager but dmenu won't find it. Also, recommend me a program to set the trackpad to register a tap as a click, like there is in Gnome's settings.
>>
Ok, got a question I have no fucking clue if there exists a way to answer.

so, there is a youtube video series I find entertaining and easy to fall asleep too, I have downloaded it, and now I have a bit of an issue.

there are 1-2 minute long ads along with an obnoxious intro for each video.

I could download a video editor, import them, edit the video, render, then fucking hand break it and hope to god they got the file size down enough that its not fuckhuge, but im wondering if there is a different solution.

videos come out with linked videos, like for anime, you get episode 1 of X series, they cut the op and ed out of each episode, and you only draw on it once.

is there a way with video linking, to stitch together these videos, start them, skip the shit bits, and start the next video without the need to edit render and loose more quality that youtube already striped out once.
>>
>>64705894
My battery is already near ruined thanks to leaving it plugged in all day so no worries then, was worried mostly about it damaging the motherboard. Thanks.
>>
>>64706137
It's worth trying out MKVToolNix, to see if you can just trim those parts out. Not sure how chapters work when you trim a segment in the middle of a video, but it should retain them
>>
>>64706137
>without the need to edit render and loose more quality
this shouldn't be an issue at all if you use a good tool like ffmpeg or avisynth -- you should be able to cut shit out and move it around while just "copying" the videostream instead of decoding it and re-encoding, as long as you don't change between different video formats
but also use youtube-dl instead of whatever shitty chinese adware-laden site you used. it downloads yt vids without including ads
>>
Is the next generation of Intel/AMD processors going to be vastly superior to the current ones when/if they fix the Spectre/Meltdown bullshit on a hardware level and those huge performance draining OS workarounds aren't necessary anymore?
I'm debating whether to throw a new PC together now or try and make it worth for just a little while longer.
>>
>>64705967
email is so fucked. When will we use a better system?

Write message --> encrypt --> send --> recieve --> decrypt --> read --> destroy

Am I missing something here? Why is it so hard to ensure only two parties can send and receive information?
>>
>>64706068
leave them alone or, if you're adamant, give the authorities a call and explain your entire situation to them. they probably won't do anything, but then it'll be out of your hands

>>64706136
install i3, then add "exec i3" to your xinit file
i have zero experience with linux+laptops, so hell if i know anything else you asked
>>
>>64706367
AMD > Intel at this point, like they were with dual-core and x64
>>
>>64706385
>encrypt
>decrypt
your email client should handle these
>destroy
can also be automated, and with full-disk encryption it should be fine to keep a local copy
>>
>>64698900
What's the best free way to clone a HDD?
>>
>>64706385
>Why is it so hard
this isn't hard though, you can install addons like enigmail to pgp-encrypt your messages in thunderbird relatively easily
however you can only actual encrypt the message if you are communicating with a partner who ALSO uses pgp, because she must set up a key pair and distribute the public key to you
if you're emailing other addresses all you can do with it is digitally sign your email as evidence against tampering

however if you're the president of the united states or kim jong un or some shit this may not be the best option, because chances are NSA and KGB are dumping a lot of money into quantum computers to break RSA
>>
File: 1512758805852.png (651 KB, 767x1031)
651 KB
651 KB PNG
>>64706480
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
hope this helps
>>
>>64699582
How do you get an endorphine rush from this? What is wrong with you?
>>
>>64706512
>>64706480

I should have stated Windows. Sorry
>>
I have 3 system monitors running, HWinfo, HWMonitor, and Rainmeter. It seems they are causing constant write activity on my SSD in the order of 0.001-0.01 MB/s. Is that normal?
>>
>>64706348
U used ytdl gui, the videos have ad placements in them by the creators, you know, the whole cant get paid for shit through youtube anymore so finding sponsors is a better proposition kind of deal.

will look into them, either of them easy to use interfaces or have front ends at all or is it all cli shit?
>>
Can NSA/FBI look through my smartphone front facing camera?
>>
>>64706589
Yes. Will they ever? Well, that depends on what kind of man you are, anon
>>
>>64706589
yes

>>64706136
you need to install a display manager like lightdm, gdm, etc.
>>
>>64706587
they are primarily cli tools but there are some guis written for them so illiterates like yourself can benefit too
>>
Is there a difference between restarting a router by plugging it off, and going to router settings (192.168.0.1) to reset it?
>>
Does anyone know whats default keyboard manager thing thats opens in systemtray in opensuse?
>>
File: Majors.png (119 KB, 1800x1120)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
>>64705587
Thanks for the reply. I attached an image of the classes, looks as if the CompE is really similar to Computer Science. I'll have to think over between CompE and EE. I'd be starting at the junior year.

Thanks again.
>>
do all chrome extensions work on chromium
>>
>>64706703
Do you know the desktop environment? Keyboard managers are frequently tied to the DE

>>64706800
yes
>>
File: 1515723305320.jpg (690 KB, 2048x1638)
690 KB
690 KB JPG
There was a version of windows 10 stripped bare that was being shilled here a while back. it wasn't LTSB it was a 2016 build they literally removed all the telemetry from. anyone know the name of it.
>>
>>64706068
> pthc on gnutella in current year
They're law enforcement, dumbass.
>>
>>64705614
>>64705825
Alright guys thanks for the input.
I will keep on trying.
>>
>>64707005
Windows 10 AME.
>>
>>64706959
KDE but im pretty sure it was something different
>>
>>64707005
it was a 2015 build and doesn't include ANY of the security patches that came out after that either.
It's an absolutely retarded project, and you would have to be even more retarded to actually use it.
>>
I'm a retard using Chrome and searching things on Google
I recently found out that doing this means willingly giving my anus to Big Brother and I don't like that
How do I get out? What are the best alternatives? Is there a way to port my bookmarks over to whatever new browser I get?
>>
File: 1514840544759.jpg (1.1 MB, 1440x1260)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
How do I get dmix to work? I cannot get it to play two audio streams. I have it in .asound.conf but I am still getting an error.
>>
>>64707086
>Is there a way to port my bookmarks over to whatever new browser I get?
firefox, chrome and most other browsers support importing and exporting bookmarks in the same html format

i use duckduckgo
>>
>>64707086
firefox
use startpage for your search engine (basically a proxy for google search)
yes you should be prompted to port over all your bookmarks when you first open firefox.

also, do not use duckduckgo. The creator of this "privacy oriented" search engine was also the man responsible for "The Names Database" which specialized in gathering data about as many people as possible.
You can read more about that here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_Database
>>
>>64707102
>>64707116
Thanks, anons
>>
>>64698900

Is Discord safe to use or basically "botnet"?
>>
Using traceroute, I see there's one hop between me and my ISP, but it's a private address, is that normal and what could it be?
>>
So I updated qBittorent to 4.0.3 due to it continuously bugging me to, but it turns out one of the trackers I use hasn't whitelisted it and they're reluctant to whitelist it at all. If I run the installer for 3.3.16, will it keep my torrents and settings? When I update it by running the installer it does, but I'm not sure if reverting to an earlier version will work the same way. Is there an alternative way to keep my torrents? I don't want to have to redownload all these torrents, there's 200 of them I'm seeding.
>>
File: 1513508924082.png (44 KB, 342x374)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
>>64707086
startpage, searx.me, maybe duckduckgo
>>
>>64707392
before trying anything, make a backup of qbittorrent's folders in %programfiles% and %appdata% and put it somewhere safe
>>
>>64698900
what kind of job can i get working with computers if i suck at math and science, but also hate people so i can't do anything along the lines of sales?
>>
>>64707392
also jesus why are bakabt admins retarded
"we can't allow this torrent client because it has a bug where a small minority of users might see reduced upload speeds. never mind that our site already has a very restrictive ratio limit to enforce seeding and those users with 10% slower seeding will just have to seed 10% longer, it is BANNED"
>>
>>64707392
I did this too (bakabt) and I installed the older torrent client. It worked fine, but the columns were all messed up on 3.3.16. I suggest uninstalling 4.0.3 completely, going into the program directory and %appdata% to delete config files and anything you can find that might be leftover from previous installations. Then install 3.3.16 fresh and add the torrents again.
(before any of that, select all torrents, right click and choose copy magnet link, then when you reinstall, click add magnet link, and paste all of them in)
>>
>>64707436
IT technician
>>
>>64707436
get a job doing data entry in some shitty cubicle where you spend 8 hours a day typing numbers from one spreadsheet into another spreadsheet until some new hire who knows copy-and-paste replaces you and 5 of your officemates, and then an even newer guy who knows basic programming 101 shit writes a script to automate the task and replace the entire department

apparently businesses are somehow full of shit like this

>>64707470
IT is a primarily social-interaction job. the shitty entry-level positions are about wrangling retards who call the help desk asking how to use a mouse or complaining that their computer "doesn't work" when the screen's not turned on
higher level sysadmin shit is different but at the same time it requires the same basic critical thinking and instruction-following skills that are needed to not fail science classes
>>
>>64707466
>select all torrents, right click and choose copy magnet link, then when you reinstall, click add magnet link, and paste all of them in
note that this will cause anon to
a.) lose all his client-side records of seed ratios, and
b.) do a lot of fucking micromanaging if he stores his 200 torrents in an organized file structure instead of dumping them all in the default directory
>>
>>64707536
>b.) do a lot of fucking micromanaging if he stores his 200 torrents in an organized file structure instead of dumping them all in the default directory
You think too much of me. I'm pretty unorganized as it is.

I just installed it with the intent of backing up the torrents should the install act up at all. So far it hasn't, it's acted pretty normally. Thanks for the help guys.
>>
Can someone link me to a free API to fetch football/soccer scores live. The ones I found are super expensive
>>
so i am trying to embed multiple soundcloud links on one html page, whenever i do it, they're all the same song, despite the links being different. is it because i'm using the same iframe css for all of them?
>>
>>64705226
>>64705226
>>64705226
>>64705226
anyone?
>>
>>64705551
I imagine half enjoyed it and exploring everything from the get-go and the other half only started to enjoy it after a 500 hour grind of learning fundamentals and then finally feeling like you could craft something remarkable.
>>
Why is 4chan broken while using uMatrix?

I thought they fixed that ad shit? The CSS in the page is nuked unless I allow certain malware domains
>>
>>64707852
No idea but I straight up miss half the catalog options.
Seems like stuff is embedded into them or something.
>>
>>64707852
Read the archive for the one liner for ubo.
Add the malware domains to your host file.
You will have to refresh the page when the css breaks but thats it.
>>
>>64707869
I'm having trouble even loading a normal page, not the catalog. It's been a few years since I've atttempted to use 4chan on a desktop.

>>64707936
I don't use UBlock Origin, are the regex patterns compatible with umatrix?
>>
>>64707955
>i dont use obo
You're about too.
You cant use the oneliner with umatrix, you will need to ubo.They do different things
>>
>>64701339
>>64701735
Bluetooth. Or see if Symbian can export to a vcf that you can transfer by other means.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-i7577-5241BLK-PUS-Inspiron-Display-Gaming/dp/B0764HW117
Opinions on this laptop?
>>
>>64708021
Are you retarded?
Honest question.
Whats is your usage scenario with a laptop with 1h hour of battery life,bulky as shit and heavy as a bag of bricks?
>>
That 5400rpm hard drive is kind of meh, but it looks good otherwise.
>>
>>64708068
>>64708021
>>
>>64708064
Not him, but some people really just need a portable desktop and don't particularly care about weight or battery life.
>>
>>64708103
I will go on a limb here and say that the most he does on that laptop is compile two lines of Java and shitpost on 4chan while playing Dota.
>>
>>64702520
About 15 years or so, and similar to the difference between SATA and IDE/PATA. PCI is what we had before PCIe -- it was slower, slow enough that AGP had to be made as a separate thing because it was bottlenecking GPUs of the time.

They're entirely different physical interfaces that are physically and electrically incompatible, though they use the same interface at the software level.

>>64702654
Starts booting -> crashes -> starts over -> crashes again
>>
>>64708021
Powerful and suitable for gaming. However it's going to be very bulky, thick and heavy. It's the sort of thing you buy to lug to LAN parties, not to tote with you to do work on the go.
>>
>>64707672
are you rooted? you can change your device id to see if that could spoof your device. it works sometimes. you have to edit the build prop.
>>
>>64707998
Fuck it I'll just keep phoneposting, or leave 4chan altogether for other chans.

Fuck this kikegook and his underhanded greed. I was here since 2007.
>>
>>64708222
Why are you throwing a tantrum?
Install ubo, its the superior choice for blocking.
Type in the oneliner and be on your way, thats literally all you have to do
>>
>>64707672
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1948558

thats a pretty decent guide a little outdated though. you'll want to make a back up too. preferably a nandroid one. that might be able to spoof your device and put whats app back to normal. what version android you running? if you're rooted try making a titanium back up and restoring it onto a compatible device. im not too sure how whats app works but if its saved locally that might do it.
>>
>>64708222
dude just use clover or overchan its way comfier anyways
>>
>>64708198
I think I rooted it at some point?
I've got superuser on it which is that, right?

How would I go about ''spoofing'' my device id?

>>64708245
>>
File: 1518474132633.png (38 KB, 621x286)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
What's this about cancerous ads I keep hearing about.

t. phoneposter
>>
>>64708277
>How would I go about ''spoofing'' my device id?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1948558

like i said in the previous post you'll need to edit your build prop. if you have cwm or titanium you'll need to make a back up to be safe. at the very least make a backup of just your build prop. for your android version you'll want to put 4.4.4 at the very least. also keep in mind you're risking the biscuit ive done this before and been fine but i haven't had an android 2.3.6 device in like ten years so i don't know how it would effect it. you should be alright though. also to verify root you can download root checker on the play store
>>
>>64708234
I already tried UBlock Origin for a couple of weeks and I didn't enjoy the interface at all even after changing it to advanced mode, I'm not going to change the addons I use on all of my 5 computers just because kikegook can't keep it in his pants.

This isn't about throwing a tantrum, the site has gone to shit if we have to evade invasive ads and other nefarious stuff going on.

>>64708258
It's what I've been doing for the past 3 years, but sometimes you need a desktop to post verbosely in threads.
>>
File: ugh.png (5 KB, 545x92)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
i've only got a 27 GB hard drive and want to downgrade my shitty netbook from win10 to win7 to stop the torrent of "update required" notifications i can't do anything about since i don't have the space to download it, how would i go about doing a full wipe and reboot? i've literally only got 2 programs i've yet to uninstall and my hard drive is still over half full, and every time i try to install the win7 disk image from my flash drive it can't make the required folders and quits.
>>
>>64702197
>https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

No dice. It tells me to contact the manufacturer of the laptop (who is not responding to my emails).
>>
>>64708364
most of those are security updates, you should do them not ignore them
>>
>>64708356
Risk of failure is fine, I'm getting a new device next week. Just need to check some messages
>>
>>64708382
even if i wanted them i couldn't download them, don't have enough space on my hard drive even after purging literally everything i don't use on a regular basis
>>
File: 1457415887409.jpg (163 KB, 584x436)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
Could somebody somehow get my normiebook password from the cracked version of spotify I am using? Like whoever did the crack? I log in through facebook for spotify.
>>
>>64708021
Not bad for the price, but like others stated the battery life will be crap. Be prepared to keep it plugged in when you are out with it.
>>
>>64708356
AHAH
>ES File Explorer
>[your device isn't compatible with this version]
>>
>>64708064
>>64708193
It being big and having a shit battery isn’t that big of a deal to me. My current laptop is from 2010 and is even larger than that one. I travel a lot for work, so having a laptop to play games on is my main goal.
>>
>>64708364
If you understand the risks of dodging security updates and still want to do it, you can. Disable the Windows Update and BITS services. Then head to Task Scheduler. Browse to Microsoft\Wangblows\WangblowsUpdate and disable stuff in there. Then Microsoft\Wangblows\UpdateOrchestrator and disable stuff there too. Then use Explorer to browse to C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\ (gaining ownership of dirs if needed), right click on Reboot, properties, security, advanced, and add an entry denying full control to Everyone. Do the same to other tasks and ones in WindowsUpdate as well. This prevents the system from "fixing" them to be enabled again.

Killing off those tasks in UpdateOrchestrator should kill the auto reboot nonsense if there's one pending. Killing the services and the tasks in WindowsUpdate should stop further updating.

If you want to update manually, change WindowsUpdate and BITS back to manual, start them, update, and switch them back to disabled. The scheduled tasks aren't needed to perform updates.
>>
GOOKMOOT HAS PUT A FUCKING AD ON THE 404 PAGE AND NOW 4CHANX WONT FUCKING REDIRECT TO THE ARCHIVE
WHAT THE FUCK
>>
>>64708555
If you're going to have internet, you could try out GeForce Go or see if you can pipe Steam In-Home Streaming through a VPN. It only needs a computer powerful enough to stream video the resolution of your screen.
>>
I was gifted an iphone 4S a few years ago. Most of the screen was obstructed by cracks already but after falling out of my pocket, while a light is visible behind the screen and the touch screen is (audibly) functional, the display itself stays black.
Is this something a replacement screen should fix or am I fucked?
>>
>>64708593
>Killing off those tasks in UpdateOrchestrator should kill the auto reboot nonsense if there's one pending.
Note that this WON'T affect the notice telling you there's a pending reboot. It's like a disarmed bomb in a movie. You can watch the time tick down in the Updates window and then when it reaches 0, if you've done things right, nothing will happen and Updates will act slightly confused about it. You can also click check for updates and watch it fail because you disabled its services.
>>
>>64708657
>gifted
Fuck off.

>Is this something a replacement screen should fix or am I fucked?
Yeah. The screen panel itself was broken before you got it. You just broke it that last little bit to where it no longer works at all. Replacing the screen --the actual screen, not just the glass-- should fix it.
>>
how would I edit my i3 config so that firefox child windows will all show up floating?
>>
>>64708503
>ES File Explorer
>not compatible
It's sparing you. Be thankful. If it was compatible you would now have a shitton of ads including on your lockscreen,

Use FX File Explorer instead.
>>
>>64702757
what websites? are you using any add-on or extension?
>>
I have received my psu, I was an ignorant and connected it to current and switched it to on obviously nothing happened,after I smelled a strange odor like burned plastic, did I have damaged something? Some people says that it's normal for a new psu to smell like that , could it be that I hadn't smelled the psu in the first place and I sensed it only after?(pic unrelated)
>>
>>64703373
a MEGA.nz free account?
>>
>>64708593
my problem isn't really about the updates, it's more that i can't install windows 7 for one reason or another (this time i can't delete the $windows~.bz folder, which i'd delete if the disk cleaner didn't get hung up on scanning the crash logs, so now i'm doing a system scan thing i found on a microsoft forum to hopefully fix it to make my win7 installer work).
>>
>>64704560
does the Wayback Machine from Archive.org help you?
>>
Can I just order a monitor on Amazon and return it within 30 days if I don't like it?
>>
>>64708698
It was a gift from my mother for passing my courses, m8. Thanks for the help though.
>>
>>64708823
Boot the Windows 7 install stick. As soon as you're at the first screen where you have a window and can move your mouse, hit shift+F10 to get a command prompt. Run "explorer" from that and you should get a file explorer. Use this to delete whatever you like. Remember, in the installer your C: drive may have a different letter, so look around before you delete.

For a clean install without format, you want to delete $windows~.bz whatever, C:\Windows, C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86), C:\ProgramData, and really most stuff that isn't C:\Users. Rename Users to Users.OLD because the new Windows install won't recognize your old user dir. Also copy out any data that programs may have stupidly saved into Program Files before deleting that.

When you're happy with your file management, close that stuff to go back to Windows Setup. Tell it to install Windows into the partition you just deleted the Windows directory from.

When it prompts you, make a new user. After installation is complete, take ownership of the old user's dir, and move its files back to your new user dir and delete the rest of Users.OLD if nothing interesting is there.

And no, you can't preserve your installed programs. Go reinstall them.
>>
File: 1517252767497.jpg (29 KB, 640x519)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
Are l0phtcrack and pkCrack still viable for breaking into contemporary security systems or is it safe to say both are obsolete? Any experience with these two programs?
>>
>>64708881
I was bitching about the word "gifted", not disbelieving you. We have a perfectly good verb for transferring property as a gift: "give", "given". "Gift" is a noun, and "gifted" as an adjective describes 'special' children.
>>
>>64708940
Anon, not him, but do you ever get hungered so hard that when you finally burger your face it's like a femanon is (you)ing you?
>>
I have 2 gpus I can fit in an matx board. Can I use both if they're different models with different power demands

PSU covers them both and other components
>>
>>64708376 here. Halp.
>>
>>64708364
Just make a slipstreamed Windows 10 install disk on another computer with all the updates you need. Rinse and repeat every couple of years. You're going to wind up back in the same spot with Windows 7 because they both keep every OS update they ever install in \Windows\Installer
>>
File: 1518165617763.jpg (20 KB, 402x403)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>64708912
much obliged, i'll ping back here if it works
>>
>>64708991
Yes.
If you are Nvidia you can use one as a main and the other as a PhysX card.
If AMD i believe they support crossfire between different cards but dont quote me on that.
>>
>>64708376
>>64709034
There is a subreddit with untouched install discs, from digitalriver, though you'll have to find it yourself. Just use one of those and use your key during install. I'm not sure how legal it is, but I'm not sure how illegal it is either. You definitely won't get in any trouble, if that's what you're worried about
>>
>>64702019
http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
>>
>>64709057
It's a 750ti and some other cars I can't I'd but it's still Nvidia
It has a mini HDMI port of all things so i know it's a shitty card

I was gonna pop them into my old i5 tower and see what I can do with these 2 shit gpus
>>
So I'm trying to purchase an EVGA 1060 6g and I'm having a lot of trouble finding one from reputable merchants. I looked at a bunch GIGABYTE cards, that are a lot cheaper. What the hell is the difference between Gigabyte and EVGA?
>>
>>64709057
>PhysX
*hearty chuckle*
>>
>>64708800
Happened with most websites. Yeah I have some addons, but I checked them and all have been updated since FF Quantum was released.
>>
>>64709100
Depending how shit the shit one is, using it for PhysX may make things worse. Basically sort of like those really early GPUs that were more decelerators than accelerators -- you throw a task at it and it takes longer to do it than your other hardware would have if you didn't use this pos in the first place.
>>
>>64709123
At least you are not unloading garbage simulation on your CPU and instead use some low tier card.
>>
>>64709142
No,please stop.
Try playing Cryostasis with a rig from that period without additional card and see how it goes.
It was used well and I personally enjoyed it in the Metro series.
Used 480GTX+8800GT G92
>>
>>64709127
could you try removing/disabling them for a while accessing websites?
>>
>>64709171
GTX480+8800GT sure. The 8800GT was an alright card back in the day. GTX750 Ti + 6200GT, the old pos card may not be such a help.
>>
My router wireless signal died and for now I can only connect through ethernet. How do I get my computer to use that ethernet connection to hook up my phone?
>>
>>64709247
Set up internet connection sharing on the computer so it puts up a wifi AP the phone can connect to. How you do it depends on OS / desktop environment.
>>
with 4chan-x, how can I set custom CSS so the quick reply is always docked/stuck to the bottom right corner of the window

it does that if you drag it there, but it doesn't necessarily persist between pages and can end up elsewhere on the page
>>
>>64709302
I think there is a pre-existing setting in 4chan X or maybe stylechan/oneechan that does this
>>
>>64708364
>>64709053
>try to boot from usb loaded with win7 installer iso
>go to lenovo bios
>nothing there
>go to advanced startup, restart, select use device > efi usb
>"cannot find the specified drive"
what the fuck am i doing wrong? do i need to do anything other than load an iso onto a flashed drive to boot from it?
>>
>>64709369
>stylechan/oneechan
these definitely do it, but they have enough other changes that I dislike that I don't use them. I was hoping for just a css snippet I could stick in 4chan-X's options.
>>
File: 1122018182020.jpg (107 KB, 1080x478)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>64709398
>>64709599
also fuck windows and fuck lenovo
>can't reset the pc
>system doesn't have a USB boot option
>>
is there any youtube channel i can watch to learn about cybersec and infosec?
>>
>>64709746
linustechtips
>>
>>64709599
dead
>>
Why aren't these questions stupid?
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (117 KB, 1280x720)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>64709821
stoopy is in the eye of the beholder
>>
>>64710045
am i stupid
>>
Excuse me I have an el1358g-51w and wanted to upgrade my ram, after watching this video https://hooktube.com/watch?v=PUyy_S-1gVk I was wondering if this ram https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00569K7LM/?tag=pcpapi-20 would fit inside the computer without any complications or am I doomed from the start ?, And before you guys tell me to just buy the parts to build a new computer.
>>
>>64710090
Buy a prebuilt.
>>
>>64710090
>And before you guys tell me to just buy the parts to build a new computer.
Sorry for not finishing. Me getting the parts is at least a year and a half to two years from now.
>>
https://www.ebay.com/itm/152819348885
gonna be traveling, will this run tekken 7?
>>
>>64708356
When I open the [system] folder normally, it says i need to ''remount'' it before i can save changes.
When I open the [system (root)] folder, it comes up empty every time.
>>
How hard would it be to crack a zip with no special characters?
I know its not in days but just wondering what kind of hardware i would need to crack it in under 1 month.
>>
>>64710250
cracking time would depend on the password length and your cpu, so it's very difficult to estimate
>>
>>64710250
hire a monkey
>>
>>64710286
>CPU
Cant i crack it using a GPU? or multiple?
Do CUDA cracking tools dont exist?
>>
>>64709398
>do i need to do anything other than load an iso onto a flashed drive to boot from it
uh, yes
you need to CLONE the disk image onto the flash drive, not just store it as a file
>>
>>64699147
Final Cut Pro 7.
>>
>>64709398
Anon, use Rufus to make your USB bootable.
You dont just copy the ISO to your USB.
>>
im trying to install the paper theme/icons for debian with xfce, however whenever i follow the instructions and type "sudo dpkg -i paper*.deb" it says that the file or directory doesn't exist. please help
>>
>>64710495
>>64710689
doesn't matter anyway, thanks for the help though
am i completely fucked or is there another way that DOESN'T involve using a flash drive, CD-ROM port (which I don't have) or resetting the windows install (which doesn't work either but i'm not sure why)?
>>
>>64710892
Let me get this right, you want to do a clean windows install deleting all your old files?
>>
File: 1122018204134.jpg (56 KB, 854x480)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>64710892
fucking hell I always forget the pic
>>
>>64710904
preferrably of windows 7, yeah. all the files I care about are on the flash drive anyway.
>>
>>64710923
Could you post what your USB looks like?
How did you made your Windows installer?

You downloaded the ISO then what?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.