[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: rmsinjured.jpg (574 KB, 2048x1536)
574 KB
574 KB JPG
Previous thread >>65527167

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try disroot, autistici or aktivix

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
First for Freedom.
>>
>>65549030
What does that exactly do?
Would I have to use it after I connected my PC to my TV?
What about my speakers?

Sorry for asking so many questions.
>>
>>65549237
if it works (has no output?) then you should have the right kernel modules for the sound driver. just checking on that
>>
>>65549237
Load the driver module. -r option unload it.
>>
>>65549188
who is that semen demon? The paramedic is also cute
>>
What is an easy way to reset a password?
What happens if I delete the user line in etc/shadow
>>
>>65549660
>What is an easy way to reset a password?
passwd
>What happens if I delete the user line in etc/shadow
You're doomed. But why did you edit by hand that file?
>>
>>65549660
passwd
don't mess with shadow, let the tools do it
>>
debian a best
>>
File: gdm.png (36 KB, 642x387)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
>>65547434
recompiled everything with new gcc version
>297 of 324
wish me luck, this is the one I failed on last time.
>>
File: yl57679e3ml01.jpg (220 KB, 1466x669)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>
>>65549772
\o/
>>
File: rms yell.jpg (22 KB, 400x300)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>65549188
What's the deal with installing Ganoo+Loonichs on a modern UFEI system? I want to install Fedora 28 on a convertible tablet but I'm scared of wiping out the internal storage (not sure exactly what it is, but it's counted as a mmcblk in /dev so it's not a normal drive) which includes the EFI partition. I've found guides which talk about mounting the EFI partition and copying files into it, but they didn't seem very clear.

Pic unrelated. Or maybe it's me shouting at these shitty closed BIOS replacements.
>>
>>65549714
>>65549722
just deleted the thing from a liveusb, booted back in, it let me login without a password and I could set the password from there.
>>
>>65549826
>mmcblk in /dev so it's not a normal drive
It's a normal drive if you have normal drivers
efi partition is a partition in the GUID partition format with type ef00 and type fat 16 or 32
you can mount it at /boot for simplicity
>>
I have a headless computer on the network. I can see it does things I expect it to do, so it is running.
It has a static IP, but I can't ping it even though I have connected to it directly and set my IP in the same range.
What can I do to test what is wrong?
I don't want to call a guy for this.
>>
>>65549772
 * ERROR: net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.18.6::gentoo failed (compile phase):             *   ninja -v -j16 -l0 failed

welp that didn't work
>>
>>65549920
iptables -L

look for icmp rules
>>
Do I need to trim/defrag my SSD under EXT4 and how do I do it
>>
>>65549957
you only need to trim

-manually using the fstrim command (you can also schedule this using cron)
-mounting your drive with the "trim" option
>>
>>65549981
it's
-o discard

>https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt
>>
>>65550001
yes, you're right, thanks for correcting.
>>
Is anyone else having problems booting VMs using OVMF firmware lately? I did a dist-upgrade on debian testing and now I can no longer boot from disks (either images, or raw devices), though I can still boot from CD for some reason.
>>
>>65549981
>-manually using the fstrim command (you can also schedule this using cron)
sudo fstrim -v /
/: 7,1 GiB (7633551360 bytes) trimmed

Did I do it right?
>>
>>65550057
yes.
>>
>>65549863
Can I just wipe out the whole storage device and have Fedora (dib:DD) sort EFI booting out or will deleting the stock EFI partition do bad things?
>>
>>65550046
I tried tried passing through my Windows drive using OVMF on Arch and it worked fine, don't have any images set up unfortunately. What's your issue? I know the name of the OVMF firmware image changed recently, you might have to change your OVMF config file if you haven't done so already.
>>
>>65550146
>will deleting the stock EFI partition do bad things?
idk probably fine to delete. mount it and see what's in there if you're worried.
Make a back up of it with dd if you're super worried.
>>
So I want to calculate hashes of all existing files in two folders and save them to a file, when I add new files I want the list updated, but when I remove the file I want to keep the hashes of the removed files, so I came up with the following script that does the job:
find folder_one -type f -exec md5sum {} + | awk '{ print $1 }' >> hashes.txt
find folder_two -type f -exec md5sum {} + | awk '{ print $1 }' >> hashes.txt
sort -u hashes.txt > hashes.tmp.txt
mv hashes.tmp.txt hashes.txt

Though I cannot help but wonder, is there any way to do it without the temporary file? If i pipe the output of sort directly back to hashes.txt it just comes up empty.
>>
>>65550259
It boots straight into the "UEFI Interactive Shell", which as I understand it is part of the OVMF firmware.
>>
>>65550345
You overwrite the file you read, that won't work.
You could however get rid of the mv by writing to the temp-file first.
>>
>>65549948
REJECT all -- anywhere anywhere reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
Does this mean I reject all icmp messages?
>>
>>65550510
Yeah but then by writing to tmp first and then sorting to the proper file I'd still need to rm the file instead of mv, I was just kinda curious if I can do it with a single command.
>>
>>65550440
The last time OVMF updated for me I had to change my domain's location of the nvram for the firmware.
<loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/ovmf/x64/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader>

>>65550516
yes
>>
>>65550516
No, that rejects everything.
>>
>>65550440
That just means you don't have any bootable drives or images. If you're sure the drives are bootable check your boot order, might be trying to load something else.
>>
>Decide to install Gentoo
>Input "The command"
>That was 4 hours ago
How long is this going to take?
>>
>>65550607
what command? you're not supposed to genkernel all
>>
>>65550575
I've gone into the boot manager and tried manually selecting every drive. Only thing that works is booting from an install CD. I can boot from these drives just fine natively or by creating a VM with standard BIOS firmware.

>>65550546
The location doesn't seem to have changed on debian.
>>
>>65550663
genkernel all doesn't take as long as emerging a base system
>>65550607
depends on your specs and environment variables
MAKEOPTS="-j($nproc)"
or mounting /var/tmp/portage in a tmpfs
>>
>>65550663
>>65550691
emerge --ask --update --deep --newuse @world

It never ends!
>>
>>65549188
>ISIS finger salute
>Stallman is an ISIS terrorist
>>
>>65550683
Once you're in the interactive shell type 'exit'. This will bring you to the UEFI menu. It should look like this. Go to Boot Manager and see if there are any UEFI drivers there, and try to boot from one.
>>
>>65550702
you can ctrl+c and it will stop. you can change your environment and try again. it only stops the currently being compiled software, but anything that has compiled already is still good.
>>
>>65550901
Oh yea I got that, it's just that I wanted some estimate on the time it would take. Get an idea of if I should go to sleep now or if I should stay awake and do the genkernel thing since that apparently(?) takes a good amount of time too.
>>
File: Untitled.png (23 KB, 657x385)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>65550944
be sure to use tmux so you can do something else while you wait
and it will show you how far along your emerge is in the bottom
>>
how do I make KDE look better?
>>
>>65551112
idk dude just customize it bro?
>>
>>65550057
>sudo fstrim -v /
is it worth it? how much time would it take for a 240GB SSD that's almost full?
>>
>>65551838
Please head to wikipedia and read about what trimming is and what it does.
>>
Just trying to change DNS in xubuntu holy hell where do I do it? Have options under ipv4 in network manager, also dnsmasq config files. Wtf is dnsmasq for anyway? Keeps using local resolver 127.0.1.1
>>
>>65552303
Normally you'd do it in your DHCP Server
>>
>>65552303
you are probably using networkmanager so look for DNS settings in your current connection
dnsmasq is a small dhcp and dns server -- things that run on a router. you can set your router to use an upstream DNS server for all hosts that use it for DNS
>>
>>65552303
Modify resolv.conf and chattr +i it ;)
>>
How to install new fonts in void linux?
>>
What does /fglt/ think of systemd and pulseaudio?
>>
>>65552652
Both are bloat and systemd is botnet.
>>
>>65552513
same way you install them on any other distro.
>>
I've decided to give installing Arch on an old tower a try. It only has a usb wireless network device. What level of challenge am I looking at before I'm using a functional desktop?
>>
>>65552652
I love 'em.
>>65552693
go to >>>/g/mg if you're going to bash it (or if they can even keep minimalist general off page 11)
>>
>>65552652
Don't really like the projects but ended up using both of them.
>>
Is Wayland in an usable state over X now?
>>
>>65552791
Google the name of the driver and see what module it uses.Check aur for driver, if its there then copy the package to the usb and install it during chroot
>>
>>65553010
Nope, probly 50 years till it is
>>
>>65549188
Linux® is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds (https://www.linuxmark.org/programs/legal/trademark/attribution)
>>
>>65553010
Almost there. The combination of atomic modesetting and wlroots will make Sway >= 1.0 a serious contender for older systems or RPis.
>>
>>65553010
Not for me any time soon probably
>>
File: bookmarks.png (7 KB, 347x273)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
How do you create bookmarks like these in a pdf document with libreoffice draw? I'm editing an existing pdf that has no bookmarks.

I've been searching for the past hour or so and even on the libreoffice ask website there is no answer to this, why is a feature like bookmarks so obscure in libreoffice draw? don't people normally use bookmarks in pdf files, especially the large ones?
I just want to mark a page with a bookmark so one can go to it directly from the bookmark menu, but no matter where I look, there is no edition option resembling this feature in libreoffice draw.
>>
>>65553289
Do you know if wlroots will fix the display hotplugging issues? I really want to use sway but I need to be able to turn my TV on and off.
>>
>>65553359
idk how libreoffice draw works but can you highlight the text that you want at the start a bookmark and change it's "heading" style?
>>
>>65552652
Both are just fine.
>>
>>65553416
I think so. There's a separate wlroots repo now, so check there.
>>
>>65552652
Shit and shit
>>
>>65553359
As far as I know not all pdf-creating programs support that.
I'd use Latex for that.
>>
>>65553440
Sadly it doesn't have that, text lines are treated as objects too so it makes no difference whether I try that on text, icons or background. There should be a separate feature dedicated to bookmarks.

>>65553551
Latex can edit existing pdf files? if it's about writing to pdf, I can do that with LO writer, it probably has a bookmarks feature too, it's just it doesn't read saved pdf files.

Maybe I should just download acrobat pro and try with tha-
>1GB bloat

Fuck my life.
>>
>>65553908
No, you'd have to make the whole document as tex instead.

And I don't know what LO can do with pdfs, but its quite possible it can't do what you need. Maybe search the net for this, it's quite likely someone else aleady had the same problem.
>>
>>65553965
That's what I've been doing so far, on the official site there is a question: https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/105949/modify-pdf-bookmarks/

No answer though. There're no blogs nor youtube guides that explain how to do this in LO either.
>>
>>65554076
screw LO just search about how to edit bookmarks in pdf files.
>>
>>65554143
Well, I found jpdfbookmarks-2.5.2 and it did the trick, pretty easily too. I'll petition LO to add a similar feature later, maybe. It sucks suck a great kit of software lacks some very basic features like these, I've only used LO for the past couple years for everything.
>>
>>65553017
Thanks.

RtL8821au requires a DKMS installation, according to the wiki, will I be able to do that before I have internet access?
>>
>>65554233
as long as you bring those packages with you to the install environment, so linux-headers, dkms, your driver
>>
>>65554222
>>65554233
>>65554444
big
>>
How do I boot into my newly installed linux distro after installing it?

I'm trying to run it alongside Windows 10 on the same drive, which I think may be the root of the problem. The Windows bootloader doesn't give me any options for anything else to boot into.
If I disable that in my bios settings, I can't boot into anything at all (all I get is something like "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key."
If I use the live disk I used to install it, it can detect the partition and let me boot into it, so it seems as though it was properly installed.
I'm honestly at a loss for what to do here, so any advice is appreciated
>>
>>65554222
>>65554233
>>65554444
Very nice.
>>
>>65554444
This might be bitching out, but I think I'll use a 100 foot cable for network connection and then I can just follow the driver page instructions to DKMS. Thanks for the help.
>>
What email provuder does /fglt/ use and recommend? Searchind for the least botnet possible without running my own server.
>>
>>65554729
cock.li

use the non-meme domains for "serious" stuff.
>>
>>65549188
>That post gave me freedom
>>
Anyone tried pure os? Care ti share experiences?
>>
File: 1519610129867 (1).jpg (58 KB, 645x773)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
How the hell do I download the WiFi drivers for my thinkpad running Debian 9?
>>
>>65555454
How are you on the internet right now?
>>
>>65555454
Get full ISO (no netboot), and then get wl deb and wl-dkms.
>>
>>65555454
Use nonfree image or simply download the driver.
>>
>>65555495
Ethernet cable and separate cable
>>65555516
>>65555518
Using what commands? I'm a complete retard with Linux and just switched from Ubuntu to Debian
>>
>>65555696
>Ethernet cable and separate cable
So what prevents you from downloading the needed drivers and then installing them after initial setup?
>>
File: 5YjYpra.jpg (56 KB, 1000x800)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>65555713
I DONT KNOW HOW THIS IS SO CONFUSING ALSO I MEANT TO SAY SEPARATE COMPUTER
>>
File: hirohtoiho.png (1.18 MB, 926x646)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB PNG
I GOT IT WORKING BROS MY WIFI WORKS NOW I NEED TO SETUP THINKFAN AND THINKPAD ACPI AHHAHAHAHA JUST ANOTHER 3 HOURS BROS WE GOT THIS
>>
I want a certain command to be executed everytime when my user boots up. Where I write it?
>>
>>65556537
systemd?
use your init
>>
I want to change the sensitivity of the trackpoint for my memepad.
The command I run to do so requires sudo.
How can I execute it at startup / login? (I first though about including it into Openbox's autostart but this won't work because it won't have the permission)
>>
>>65556626
udev rule
>>
What program would i use if i wanted to have a cli way to execute a program with a url and have it download all images over a specified size or dimension?
>>
>>65556909
Intelligent way would be using the Ali, so it depends on the website. However, you can create a temper directory, check the dimensions via imagemagick , move the goods and delete the bads.
>>
>>65557072
API*
Fokin booze, Christ.
>>
File: 1518237788217.jpg (1.97 MB, 4000x3000)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>65557083
>>
>>65557072
Im fine with downloading everything on the page and then doing the sorting in post.
But what program would i use? Its not for any specific website, or cms. It could literally be any page on the internet. I tried playing around with wget, but i dont necessarily need the folder structure in which the images would be buried in multiple layers of folder depending on the website. If it could create one folder and dump everything in to it, that would be fine
>>
Does anyone know a wallpaper changer for gnome which is gtk3 and handles hidpi correctly? nitrogen and wallch are out, and the built-in changer is SHIT
>>
>>65556537
~/.profile
~/.bash_profile
~/.zsh_profile
Depends on which shell you're using.
>>
Just installed ubuntu, what do next?
also anyone know how to remove the top panel when you open browser
>>
What things should I take into account if going wm-only.
Aside acpid.
Brightness? Xbacklight?
Wireless manager?
Sth to automount USB?
>>
>>65557658
install the gnome-tweak-tool, chrome-gnome-shell, and checkout some extensions
>>
>>65557708
Do it once in Arch and take a note of every setting you had to change. After this either find graphical interface for these settings or learn how to change them manually and set them up during startup.

Some things you are missing (not complete, as I said you need to try I think)
- xset stuff: for screensaver, dpms, input settings like keyboard repetition speed.
- Some network manager applet: I find the icon very useful.
- A launcher.
>>
>>65557854
Dmenu as launcher, gonna check xset.
Which net applet do you recommend? As far as I know, network-managee-applet has a lot of gnome dependencies

Thank you!
>>
>>65557708
you'll need off the top of my head
session manager of choice
something for sound
dock or taskbar
>>
>>65557928
look into wicd
>>
>>65557931
Session managers? You mean DMs? If that's just going to startx and shutdown. If not, can you give an expample to search?
Thank you for the advice

>>65557946
Thank you, gonna search
>>
>>65557960
something like lightdm or slim
>>
>>65558000
they handle log in, log out, power off and hibernation/sleep
>>
Currently have a hardware(3ware) 6 disk(2tb) raid-6 array.
Its running out of space.
Can i just get say 6x 4tb drives and add one at a time and let it rebuild then when 6 six have been added expand the raid array somehow?
>>
On the news this morning, there was this piece about program privileges being too loose. There was this "security expert" there who said that all modern operating systems have a flaw in that they don't let you control if programs are allowed to capture the screen or not (take screenshots.)

Is that true on GNU/Linux or can you somehow prevent programs from taking screenshots in X11 or something?
>>
>>65558007
>>65558000
>>65557960
>>65557931
You do NOT need a shitty session manager or dm with WM only.
Login to tty then startx
Put programs you want to launch in your wm's autolaunch
If you need to sleep/hibernate lauch the command to do so(depending on how you do it)
>>
>>65558092
Take this opportunity to migrate to Linux software RAID. It's much better on anything that isn't a Pentium 4 or older.

>>65558096
Wayland actually addresses this.
>>
>>65558096
I'm just worried that this would be abused and companies would try to make it so you couldn't take screenshots of DRM-protected content.
>>
>>65557928
Assuming you're using Arch, it really doesn't have that many dependencies on Gnome stuff.

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/networkmanager/

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/network-manager-applet/
>>
>>65557928
Use netctl
>>
>>65558235
That's already the case on macroshart winbugs. Why do you think Netflix requires Win10 and a Skylake or better CPU for the highest resolutions on a PC?
>>
>>65555454
Tether your phone or use the ethernet port.
>>
File: rms-gigolo.png (226 KB, 631x362)
226 KB
226 KB PNG
Today was a GNU plus good day.

>have old FX-8350 build from late 2013
>no upgrades since then other than a GTX 750Ti (I know, I know, AMD wasn't usable at the time with Free drivers)
>haven't booted it up in most of a year because it was slower than my work-issue laptop
>switch to a new job, no more monster Thinkpad, decide to reconnect the monitors/kb/mouse and boot the old PC back up
>apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
>install Firefox Nightly from the Mozilla tarball
>everything just fucking werkz
>it's actually faster NOW than it was THEN because things like Firefox take better advantage of multiple CPU cores
>mfw
>>
File: AnimuThinku.png (107 KB, 400x400)
107 KB
107 KB PNG
odd question, and small scenario and what I think is the problem. When using i3wm ive never had any trouble with the hotkeys, but recently I've been trying out antix 17 and none of the SHIFT + commands work. It seems to ignore the shift completely.

Now when installing it asks about what keyboard model im using, which im not used to so i kept it at the default 105 key intel keyboard. I'm assuming this is where the fault lies with the hotkeys. Im currently using an x230 thinkpad. Anyone know the keyboard model, or have any idea why its not registering the SHIFT? cheers!
>>
>>65558672
There is actually a separate Thinkpad keyboard layout. Check your startup files in /home and /etc/profile.d to see if any keyboard maps are being set. X overrides the kernel keymap so don't worry too much about that.
>>
File: 1510020869031.jpg (32 KB, 645x729)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>65549188

How do i know when I'm proficient enough at UNIX/LINUX? Every textbook and college class says how much you need to learn it, but I feel like what I know still isn't enough to get by in a profession. do i just have to get get good at gentoo or ubuntu? or just know my way around the shell and distros?
>>
>>65559051
There's always more to learn, but focus on shell scripting, common web servers and databases, security best practices, managing the OS itself from the shell, build and use a custom kernel at least once, and familiarity with Python helps too.

So basically install Gentoo and go fucking nuts with it, but run serious servers on Debian or CentOS unless you have a really good reason not to.
>>
>>65559051
install systemd
>>
Hey,
how can programs that run in WINE read Linux filesystems D:DD
>>
>>65559251
WINE maps C to ~/.wine/drive_c and Z to /, while translating Win32 filesystem calls into standard Linux/glibc calls.
>>
Anyone know why tmux is ignoring some of my key bindings when I use it within a tty console session? I use Alt-E (or M-e in tmux.conf syntax) as my prefix, and I have <prefix>n mapped to next-window and <prefix>N mapped to previous window, but only the prefix-n works in the console, whereas everything works fine in an X terminal emulator. I also have root bindings (no prefix) such as Shift-Left that don't work. That would hint that there's something up with how shift is being handled, but other root bindings like M-n don't work either even though M-e,n works. I'm guessing it has something to do with how the console handles control keys compared to X term emulators, but I really don't know.
>>
anybody use tt-rss? should I use it?
>>
>>65559366
I use it and I figured I would pay for the android app. the guy who maintains it is a total dick so that means it's good.
I never use the web interface anymore. Mobile scroll past read is comfy because I can't possibly read every article I collect
>>
>>65549188
God that qt wants to suck Stallman off and basically I'm alone in life
>>
How do i access samba share over ssh? I ssh into my computer at work and i need to access samba on the work server which is only open to lan where my work computer is
>>
>>65559531
You don't. Either use sshfs which isn't Samba at all, or use a VPN.
>>
>>65559617
I tried using sshfs but after is execute the command it just hands and i can no longer access any of my directories on the system untill i ctrl+c the sshfs command
>>
>>65559628
Something is wrong with your system.
>>
>>65559640
Not really it's a fresh install
>>
How do I remove windows xp thats dual booted with ubuntu.
>>
>>65559704
Reinstall your Ubuntu and have it format the disk.
or just delete the partition with GPARTED but I don't know if that's safe
>>
Has there been a poll about which distributions does fglt use?
>>
>>65559114

i'm not creative and have no reason to use linux for home purposes, that's why I gave up coding early on, couldn't practice it at home and didn't think I could make anything worthwhile. Any ideas on things I could do or a goal to reach for? i'd probably be using a VM.
>>
File: clamscan.png (231 KB, 1366x768)
231 KB
231 KB PNG
I emerged clamav with the clamdtop use flag,
configured clamd config for listening on a UNIX domain socket, default is " /var/lib/clamav/clamd.sock" added the same to the config "LocalSocket PATH STRING"
started the daemon clamd. ran clamscan after freshclam,
Clamdtop doesnt show running files although clamscan keeps scanning.
>>
How to decrease the timeout of the grub2 menu (ubuntu)?
>>
>>65559806
If you don't care enough to run it on bare metal you will always suck.
>>
>>65560180
Google it, you lazy bum. You're not asking something that is obscure or difficult to find via a search engine, and the solution is piss fucking easy. Change one line in one file, then update grub. Which line in which file? Google it.
>>
>>65550345
No, you can't. By the way, you don't need to do two lines of find.

find folder_one folder_two -type f -exec md5sum {} + | awk '{ print $1 }' | sort -u >> hashes.txt
>>
What's the most A E S T H E T I C display manager?
>>
File: 1521854226557.png (288 KB, 350x600)
288 KB
288 KB PNG
>>65560276
>current state of """friendly""" linux thread
>using the google for web search
>implying i haven't done it already and nothing happened
I know /g/ is shit, but i expected a bit more than nothing.
>>
What does it mean when some video is under grey'd out 'blog' in Page Info (Firefox) but some video is not and you can actually download it by using Page Info of FF

and how do I download the grey'd out blop files?
>>
>>65560276
Stop recommending the botnet.
>>65560736
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>65560465
startx
>>
>>65560736
I have to ask.
Did you actually google it? Because I find an I just grabbed your specific wording right from here >>65560180 and found an answer, first result on first page.
>>
>>65561078
>Because I find an
God I'm too tired for this.
Because I just*
>>
File: 1427019808991.jpg (3.92 MB, 10000x10000)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB JPG
>>65561078
At this point, i don't even care.
>>
File: arg_linugs.png (51 KB, 512x512)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
Hi guys, Linux newbie here. I've only used Elementary OS for a couple of months. But I now think it's time to switch distros. Deepin OS and Solus with the Budgie environment looks very pretty to me in terms of the UI. Now I need /fglt/ to pick one for me. I cannot try out both, You guys have to pick one for me. Also please mention the advantages and disadvantages of each one over the other.

Pfa
>>
From what I understand if I use Ubuntu 16.04 I'll get outdated software from the default repositories. How do I add the repositories used in Ubuntu 18.04?
>>
>>65561384
You shouldn't. Enable backports or upgrade once 18.04 actually comes out.
>>
>>65560044
jesus christ is that enlightenment? Why do they make the panel so fucking large
>>
Fucking dog shit garbage OS can't fucking unpack multirar file in fucking 2018

fucking kys
>>
lets say i have two network interface
what if i configured only one network interface in netplan will it fuck up the network
>>
>>65561346
>I cannot try out both
Any reason why? You can try them using live usb without installing or through VM. As for Deepin OS, Manjaro also has Deepin DE.
>>
>>65562229
>using rar
>using edgy scene releases
lol
>>
>>65562295
fuck you this is inexcusable
>>
File: 1479073906257.jpg (92 KB, 394x617)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>65562229
>fail to RTFM
>blame the OS
>>
is there a way i can 'copy' a snapshot of my OS (mint) from my laptop and make it work on my desktop? I dont want to reinstall the system and redownload all the programs etc etc
>>
Can you use those tiny raspberry pi screens on a desktop without a hassle like a regular display? Some amazon ratings talk about driver issues and stuff
>>
File: 20180415_151819.jpg (2.3 MB, 4032x1960)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
Why does urxvt look like garbage? How do I make it not look like garbage?
>>
>>65562909
you should probably consider not using default config, so populate a Xresources
>>
>>65562295
Retards like OP are literally why they use rar though.
>>
>>65562909
Write a config.
Or if you are super lazy, install urxvtconfig and set the options via GUI, it's not difficult anon.
>>
How do i install Debian without installing any dumb programs with it? I'm using the netinstall but i always end up with libreoffice, firefox esr and a lot of other shit. Is it the "standard system utilities"?
>>
>>65563127
just fucking delete them after installing?
>>
>>65563134
That takes a lot of time though. Isn't there a way to not get them during the install?
>>
>>65563127
>>65563144
Found out how to do it. For anyone interested then don't select anything else than standard system utilities and then install the DE you want through the terminal or whatever it's called.
>>
>>65563016
I don't know anything about fonts though.
>>
Got wifi disconnects with ac 9260 on Ubuntu Budie 18.04 beta 2.

Works 9260 bad on linux or is it a distro problem? Halp please.
>>
>>65563481
then urxvt is not for you
>>
I want to install loonix on my macbook, just something basic and simple with KDE. Was thinking of going with Kaosx (an Arch derivative) but would I be better off just going with Arch or like Antergos?

Or maybe a Gentoo distro to avoid systemd aids.
>>
File: 1506561748807.jpg (68 KB, 1090x926)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>65562229
Install unrar?
>>
>>65563651
Apple devices don't have a good track record with Linux. Be warned
>>
>>65563996
I'm guessing unrar libre is actually what's causing their problem, because it's shit, but their cuntitude prohibits me from posting the solution. It's not difficult to find.
>>
File: 1501600072068.png (4 KB, 97x96)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>65564190
When I rant and rage I do it because I hate myself.
I fixed it myself.
Srory
>>
Why does every distro aim for minimalism and laptop users with low end hardware?

Where's the modern to to date distros at that are for people not living in 2009
>>
>>65564250
Oh, in that case use unar. Not unRar; unar.
>>
File: 1504478628360.png (74 KB, 300x168)
74 KB
74 KB PNG
>>65564363
[spoiler]It was a corrupt file[/spoiler]
>>
I stopped paying attention to Linux news about 2 years ago due to a busy life, I still run a 2 year old Arch installation, but what did I miss?
>>
>>65564434
It's now a botnet, I read in an earlier thread that every Linux distribution is just a RHEL clone with systemd botnet and it's all gone
>>
>>65564350
>Why does every distro aim for minimalism
9 of the top 10 on distrowatch are bloated as shit though.
> Where's the modern to to date distros at that are for people not living in 2009
Ubuntu, Fedora, and Arch?
>>
>>65564014
It's the ubiquitous 2012/2013 model MBP before they gay'd it all up, should work fine I would imagine.
>>
>>65564350
Minimalism is a lot easier to aim for than featurefulness.
>>
>>65564490
So basically you're saying manjaro
>>
How do I get internet working on Arch while trying to install it on a laptop with no ethernet port?
>>
File: 1442968896311.gif (2.11 MB, 240x256)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB GIF
I'm using cloveros and my speakers aren't working but my headphones work fine. I tested them with Debian so I know it's not a hardware issue, is there anyway to get my speakers to work with pure ALSA? I really don't want to end up using pulseaudio.
>>
>>65564972
What is wrong with PulseAudio?
I use PulseAudio.
It works
>>
Anyone here knows what are some good bitmap fonts (non monospace) for linux? I want to try them on ubuntu. Also how to force the use of bitmap fonts in fontconfig?
>>
>>65565009
I'd rather not use it if I don't have to and I don't feel like installing it.
>>
>>65565028
Why though? I'm noob so that's why I'm asking.
>>
>>65565009
He uses Clover which has it disabled at USE flag level by default.
>>
>>65564250
>>65564379
frogpsters btfo
>>
>>65564919
You can't figure out how to get a full fat desktop install out of Fedora or Ubuntu? Did you try KDE?
>>
>>65565028
Problem is ALSA is barely functional, or just outright shit if you include userspace stuff dmix, and requires a 12 week correspondence course to program for. So you're always going to need some kind of bloatfest mid-level solution. If it's not pulse, it's going to be something about as toxic.
>>
How can I remove the background color of folders when using ls?
>>
>>65565777
Why is Pulse toxic it does everything I need it to do?
>>
I have a problem with the touchpad of my laptop. The right click button basically does a right click inmediately followed by a left click. Does anyone know a solution? I am running Arch with libinput drivers. My laptop is HP Zbook studio G3
>>
>>65564972
Pulseaudio is literally designed to avoid these problems.
>>
File: 1497059859570.png (94 KB, 820x458)
94 KB
94 KB PNG
>>65566037
Dude my fucking Xubuntu 17.10 does the same fucking shit.
I swear it's this meme theme I ahve my but I have been too lazy to google how to do full system wide theme reset on everything (reinstalling when new release is my choice)

I have to HOLD THE RIGHT CLICK so I can retain the RIGHT CLICK MENU while browsing the menu and then release the right click whenever I'm hovering over whatever I want.

but I DONT have the problem with my Ubuntu 17.10 on laptop
>>
>>65565964
It's not great at low latency audio. That's the one remaining legitimate complaint. Everything else was people being mad that PulseAudio exposed a shitton of bugs in ALSA drivers. That got resolved by 2012 or so.
>>
>>65565909
>background color
The only reason ls colors would have a background for a folder is if they're 777 perms.
>>
>>65566133
I think it is a problem with GNOME because I have it on firefox. I use i3 and that is the only "graphical" program I use so I don't know for certain tho
>>
>>65566133
Wait fuck I can just test my theory just by installing new DE like KDE Plasma or Gnome and then using the right click menu
>>
>>65566163
Yes.
>>
>>65566163
try KDE, because it is likely a GTK issue
>>
>>65566314
>install regular ubuntu with GTK
>not a problem
>install xubuntu with GTK
>is a problem
>problem is GTK
what
>>
>>65549188
Asked this in the /tpg/ thread but I feel like this thread might be more knowledgeable on the topic so reposting here:
I'm trying to use Openbox on my Thinkpad T20 (it's got 2nd gen Intel integrated graphics) for the first time and I'm having trouble with compositing. I was having major screen tearing at first, which I attempted to resolve with Compton. I'm using the glx backend and the opengl option for vsync, which fixes my vsync problems, but now when I watch certain videos in MPV (especially ones with higher bitrates) the video will freeze while the audio continues to play. Resizing the window, or maximizing, or un-maximizing, causes the video to properly play back again. Can any other anons with a similar setup share their configurations or any tips on how best to handle compositing for a non-compositing window manager?
>>
>>65566115
>>65565777
Alright I'm convinced, do you know how to unblock the pulseaudio package?
>>
>>65556379
Look on the bright side man, at least you know you need those things. You're not as clueless as you think.
>>
>>65549188
Holy shit what happened to stallman? Or is this an old pic?
>>
>>65565044
What? Why?
>>
>>65566614
Dude stated he is using CloverOS.

CloverOS is technically gentoo, pre-configured by /g/ and with binary packages (so you don't have to compile them. Gentoo supports this.)
Clover is "P├Âttering free" this means no systemd, no pulse etc. This also means programs are compiled without pulseaudio support.
>>
>>65566614
muh minimalism
>>>/g/mg
>>
>>65566644
What's wrong with systemd?
>>
>>65566655
everybody hates it because it's not "muh unix philosophy" but everybody uses it because it's a fuckin breakthrough in init systems
>>
>>65566655
Oh boy, here we go.
>>
did an upgrade after a couple weeks and my compton went ape shit for some reason lol
anyone else experienced this? pretty puzzled
>>
>>65566666
oh boy here we go
>>
>>65566666
Sorry I genuinely do not know, I stated above that I'm a noob, I didn't even know that pulseaudio was loathed/hated.
>>65566663
OK, thanks.
>>
>>65566700
install xcompmgr
>>
>>65566719
i get screen tearing with it unfortunately
>>
Currently using Ubuntu. How can I easily run a program in my terminal if it's in a bunch of nested files? I like how I can type "python3" and it opens up the interpreter. How can I do that with other programs?
>>
>>65566804
dude nigga just type the programs in the terminal
>>
>>65566666
checked
>>
>>65566666
Satan wants peace.
>>
>>65549188

is she giving richard stallman a bj?
>>
>>65562909
http://terminal.sexy
>>65562229
Install unar, the libre unarchiver.
>>65565024
https://github.com/Tecate/bitmap-fonts
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>65564972
why would you install a meme distro made by an inane imageboard?
>>
>>65566133
I "fixed" it by switching to waterfox
>>
>>65566907
Waifu wallpapers.
>>
>>65566982
I hate cowtits.
>>
>>65566963
You could try disabling gpu acceleration or something.
>>
>>65567040
I JUST got hybrid gpu working so no. But thanks
>>
File: 1409941633681.webm (2.95 MB, 624x352)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB WEBM
>try to compile stuff
>don't have the dependencies
>try to compile the dependencies
>don't have the dependencies
>this continues until I forget what I tried to do in the first place

How do I step up my dep game?
>>
>>65566666
witnessed
>>
>>65566663
>but everybody uses it
False
>it's a fuckin breakthrough in init systems
It's not an init system
>>
File: 1521736010008.jpg (88 KB, 640x427)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>65567100
Found the culprit.
>>
>>65566555
In CloverOS you'll need to remove -pulseaudio from the global USE flags and rebuild pretty much everything that touches audio. You will be unable to use the binhost after that so welcome to Gentoo.
>>
>>65566666
Heil our dark lord.
>>
>>65567106
Most distros have most dependencies for things you need. What is it you're trying to compile?
>>
>>65567215
In make.conf? And I already switched to source, so I have to emerge everything again?
>>
>>65567244
Yup. You have to rebuild all the packages that touch audio so that they link against libpulse. Enjoy your emerge world.
>>
>>65567237
fre:ac. I'm on Mint.
>>
>>65567270
Do a git clone --recursive of the github repo. That should pull in most things needed.

On the other hand, what does fre:ac do that ffmpeg won't?
>>
>>65567256
Can't seem to find -pulseaudio in make.conf
>>
>>65566700
nvm, fixed it
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=236102
>>
>>65567331
it's probably enabled by default so you'll have to explicitly set pulseaudio in make.conf
also do -branding unless you really enjoy that gentoo logo
>>
>>65567683
So just add USE="pulseaudio" and emerge pulseaudio?
>>
>>65567732
no, you set
USE="... pulseaudio ..."
in /etc/portage/make.conf
the pulseaudio ebuild doesn't need the flag, the other programs need the flag to know how to use pulseaudio.
emerge --pretend --verbose media-plugins/gst-plugins-meta
is an example of an ebuild that will use pulseaudio use flag
>>
>>65567770
I don't see USE at all either.
>>
>>65567909
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/make.conf#USE
>>
>>65566666
ABSOLUTE WASTE
>>
>>65568058
Turns out the issue was with openssl, I had to use
USE="ssl libressl" pulseaudio
>>
>tfw mounted hundreds of devices in linux but never mounted a single girl IRL
>>
REALLY need to step up my Vim game.
What do?
>>
File: moo.png (160 KB, 640x360)
160 KB
160 KB PNG
>>65568849
start using it
>>
>>65568829
You shouldn't mount anything you can't chkdsk first
>>
>>65568908
No shit!
>not even mad actually
>>
>>65549188
What if RMS died because he refused to be treated using any nonfree medical tools?
>>
>>65569009
He considers non-free services to-be necessary evils. You're supposed to complain to the provider about having to use them.
>>
>>65569029
>The GPL
>complain until they finally listen to you
>>
How do login screens work? I know the WM is launched when the X session begins by modifying the .xinitrc file, but how do you set up something that starts before the first user logs in.
>>
>>65569009
It's not running on his computer, anon. The freedoms are intact.
>>
>>65569115
they're called desktop managers
gdm
sddm
lightdm
etc
>>
File: DG0kYdAUwAEGIy4.jpg (116 KB, 1064x1372)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
Is there any decent solution to display scaling on linux in the year of our Lord 2000 + 18? I finally decided to install Mint and since the screen on my XPS 13 is 1080p the font and controls are super small. I upped the font scaling but the controls and menus are still small. Once I finally fixed that I found that whenever I plug into a second monitor (23 in. so I don't have the small issue) everything is huge as fuck.

Hasn't someone figured out how to scale everything to 125% instead of the ridiculous 200%? I just want to use my computer without squinting or seeing two words at a time, lads.
>>
>>65549524
heh
>>
Kind of related to >>65569754 but different enough that I think I'll ask anyway
Is there any way to have different scaling on different monitors with KDE? I have one 4k and one 1080p, and if I get my scaling right on one monitor, it's fucked on the other, and vice versa.
>>
What is a reasonable swap partition size relative to RAM so that suspend-to-disk works?
>>
>>65569890
Double, I think.
>>
>>65569890
Usually people make it double the RAM, but if you have more than 16 GB of ram you probably don't need a swap partition unless you're doing some really heavy shit.
>>
>>65569890
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management/Suspend_and_hibernate#About_swap_partition.2Ffile_size
>>
>>65569922
I was taught to make swap 2xRAM but that was back when 2GB was considered high-end. I also read on wikis and kernel docs that default hibernation image size is 2/5 installed RAM, so I'm not sure what to trust.

I'll rephrase: what's a good size for a swap partition if I have a 4GB RAM, a 120GB SSD, and don't expect to need swap more than rarely?
>>
>>65549188
Did that fatass have a heart attack?
>>
>>65570114
I have read this, and with >>65570117
in mind, I'm not sure if I should use 2GB or 6GB or somewhere in between.
>>
>>65569754
Use dpi
>>
Using Ubuntu 18.04 and GNOME.

Want to switch to KDE and wayland but stay on Ubuntu, due to support and the whole oficial-ness of it (I have a business and I'm thinking of purchasing Canonical support for peace of mind).

How does KDE's file manager compare to Nautilus (is it Konquerer or Dolphin)? I have a beefy laptop so I'm not concerned with how much space it takes.

If I install a program from the Ubuntu software manager will it download the Qt or GTK version?
>>
File: LObWi.jpg (142 KB, 900x675)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>65566594
>>
>>65570234
use = your ram
alternatively, never use hibernate and just put into low power suspend, because it's much, much better.
>>
>>65570409
all the individual kde programs are pretty brotier but plasma sucks balls so try to stay away from it
>>
>>65568829
But have you ever touched a girl IRL?
>>
>>65570534
why should I stay away from it? I've heard screen tearing is an issue.
>>
Infinality is dead? What can I use instead?
On Antergos
>>
>>65570657
it's prone to crashing and it's not necessary. I put it on the same level as the widgets thing windows did. it's a gimmick that doesn't really add anything but rice
>>
>>65570969
okay, I'll look into crashing issues. While I like the unix philosophy of minimalism, I'm not really into doing that so gimmick and unnecessary aren't really deterants for me.
>>
>>65571024
mostly it's a personal preference thing. so give it a go, and if you like it, keep it
>>
Just migrated from Windows to Arch Linux, what DE should I use? I liked XFCE a lot but Plasma Search is really comfy. Any alternatives?
>>
>>65571418
gnome
>>
>>65571418
Dont use a DE, use a WM such as fluxbox
>>
I am getting a new work laptop this week to replace my T440s (which is perfectly fine, btw, but company policy requires it to be obsoleted for tax reasons or something). Want to put linux on it, but lazy as I am, I don't want to fuss around jumping between distros and versions, so I thought I'll wait till Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is released on the 26th. Mint does however pique my interest. Is there a release schedule for the first 18.04-based Mint version and how much reliabilty would I be sacrificing?
>>
Why do you use Linux over Windows?
>>
>>65571783
I started using it when I was young, because I belived in freedom.
I still do, but now my main motivation is that I am used to it. Missed the package management when I used Windows at work for a while, and it was infuriating that shit like docker was so hard to get working. WSL seemed like a blessing in that context, but truth is, it does not quite work right, yet.
>>
>>65571783
workspaces
supports all my hardware, even the old printer
the software is okay
>>
>>65566804
You either have to move the binary to a path in your $PATH enviroment variable or you have to add the path it's in already to $PATH
>>
>install firefox on a near fresh install of kubuntu
>homepage is set to some chink shit like I've installed some kind of virus

This would NEVER happen on windows.
>>
>>65572348
post it lol
>>
>>65572412
123 sogou.com

Just google it you'll find other people on ubuntu with the same problem
>>
File: 1523751794794.jpg (194 KB, 1200x800)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>65572426
>he's a google used
>>
>>65572348
works on neon.
>>
>>65572558
I think it's because ubuntu has a chink version and that's the homepage for the chink ubuntu firefox?

Bonus meme: it also resets itself even if you change the home page so you have to actually remove the js files from your system entirely to make it not be the homepage anymore.

Yikes
>>
Good GOD Mega application for Mega.nz is retarded.
If it's downloading thing to an external drive,
and you forget it to mount before the program,
the program not only gives you error,
it clears the entire download queue,
absolutely insane how it just doesn't report an error to you about this,
but it just wipes out everything
>>
>>65572654
or just uninstall the package responsible for the files.
>>
>>65572654
>>65572768
>https://superuser.com/questions/179353/how-do-i-find-out-which-package-owns-a-file/964671

sounds like you already deleted the files so maybe when that package upgrades you'll have this "problem" again.
>>
File: 1523220635295.jpg (133 KB, 500x553)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
pls halp

I'm on linux mint 17.1 and I can't install python2.7-dev which is a dependency for Julia.

sudo apt-get install python2.7-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
python2.7-dev : Depends: python2.7 (= 2.7.6-8ubuntu0.4) but 2.7.12-1~trusty1 is to be installed
Depends: libpython2.7-dev (= 2.7.6-8ubuntu0.4) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libpython2.7 (= 2.7.6-8ubuntu0.4) but 2.7.12-1~trusty1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>>
Hello. personal tech support.
Im partitioning a drive with fdisk and when entering the first sector size "+100M" (not quotatiaons) it gives me the error "value out of range", im on pi3 and this makes no fucking sensce.
>>
>>65572895
that's an awful lot of sectors. you sure you have that many?
>>
>>65572895
>>65572919

well, I guess it technically doesn't explicitly say you can use M
>>
>>65572876
= means equal to
you have 2.7.12-1 installed, while it says
2.7.6-8
next to the =
sometimes they use > which means greater than
>>
>>65572976
S-so how do I fix it?
>>
>>65572957
According to those messages, first sector is supposed to be absolute. You can use plus for the last sector.
>>
>>65572991
/code]Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.[/code]

I think you need to install the packages that couldn't be installed. It's an impossible situation, probably by having something that installed newer versions than what your repository expects. Like using the unstable distribution.

Did you manage to make a frankendebian?
>>
*dabs on your file system*
>>
>>65573021
No, it's just stock linux mint. This install is about four years old, and some proprietary software that I had to install back in uni installed several duplicate python installs. I thought I fixed that though and now I'm stuck.
>>
>>65549188
>"Sir we need to hook you up to a breathing apparatus, you're too overweight to breathe on your own."
>"Does it run GNU software?"
>"Sir, nobody cares."
>*cries*
>>
File: 1509285209460.jpg (222 KB, 547x836)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
its actually happening dxvk is going to change everything
>>
Why is multi-display support such a garbage in literally every Linux DE? Popup windows/context menus opening on wrong screen, browsers randomly moving to the different screen on making video fullscreen, which also opens on the wrong screen, constantly losing settings when you swap bettwen screen configurations.
>>
>>65573398
Try a GNU/Linux DE.
>>
>>65573402
Why is multi-display support such a garbage in literally every GNU/Linux DE? Popup windows/context menus opening on wrong screen, browsers randomly moving to the different screen on making video fullscreen, which also opens on the wrong screen, constantly losing settings when you swap bettwen screen configurations.
>>
>>65573441
works for me on gnome.
>>
I tried installing fedora and setting it up as a daily driver with some googling here and there. Where can I get EasyLife RPM file? The official site seems to be dead
>>
>>65573441
Works for me on Fluxbox and Window Maker.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.