[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: maxresdefault.jpg (74 KB, 1280x720)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>2018
>using anything other than KDE Plasma

When will Gnomelets, MATElets, XFeceslets, Cinnamonlets, LXDElets, and Budgielets ever learn?
>>
Screen tearing and artifacts tho
>>
>>65564066
said nobody ever
>>
>>65564081
Go run VLC and drag the screen around on a desktop using an actual GPU, it will look like that solitaire shit from Windows
>>
>>65564066
Works on my machine.

>>65564115
Which year are you posting from?
>>
>>65564066
Kde literally the first DE that didn't have screen tearing
>>
Too many config menus and buttons. Needs a retard-proof mode for those who are too retarded and tend click on every button they see.
Also the dragon is a slut.
>>
>>65563980
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6mZGBEV7aY
>>
>>65564115
I think your compositor crashed or something. It works fine for me.
>>
>>65564198

And the last one to use Wayland. When Enlightenment beats you to the punch, its not a pretty sight
>>
>>65563980
Well, it's the least shitty, I'll give it that
>>
>>65564229
Konqi a cute!!
>>
>>65564258
>inb4 but Enlightenment was funded by Tizen and Samsung
>>
>>
>>65564198
screen tearing on nvidia
and stop telling me to enable that full pipe composition shit or whatever it's called
it just introduces lag
>>
>>65564367
Wayland. There really is no other way to fix that window tearing crap unless you have wayland. QT4 stuff will still run through X-on-wayland (XWayland), but everything >= GTK3 or QT5 will actually run and resize windows without tearing.
>>
>>65564461
>nvidia
>wayland
pfft oh no no no
>>
File: goals.jpg (436 KB, 1570x1330)
436 KB
436 KB JPG
>>
>>65564477
Well if nouveau doesn't support your card well enough, why are you using Nvidia?

Nvidia's drivers have a serious case of NIH syndrome, just look at the EGLStreams nonsense.
>>
>>65564185
>Which year are you posting from?
Obviously 2014. That's when KDE was what he described.
>>
File: 1447221591848.png (384 KB, 640x480)
384 KB
384 KB PNG
>>65564591
>why are you using Nvidia?
for gaming you idiot
why would I choose a graphics card for linux priorities??
>>
>implying i3-gaps isn't the best
plebs
>>
>>65564636
>why would I choose a graphics card for linux priorities??

because your on /g/ not /v/
not everyone cares about Windows gaming here
>>
>KDE
If I had a _single_ Qt program, I might have thought about that.
>>
File: 1523447797176.jpg (29 KB, 608x309)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
I'd rather staple my dick to my underarm and be forced to use MacOS for the rest of my life than use KDE in its current state. It's not a snappy, clean piece of software like the rest of the distros I've tried.
>>
>>65564066
OP is talking about KDE not your buggy garbage called GUHNOMe
>>
>>65564066
Install drivers for ur gpu boi.
>>
Will KDE ever not be buggy?
>>
>>65564820
When you use kde plasma and not your neet xfeces OS
>>
small clock when?
non retarded default pointer when?
>>
>>65564066
that should be fixed as of 5.12
>>
>>65564713
Nobody uses gtk anymore. See github and you'll noticed that all worthwhile pieces of software made in the last few years all target Qt. GTK is a terrible piece of shit after all.
>>
>>65564775
>It's not a snappy, clean piece of software like the rest of the distros I've tried.
KDE is not a distro anon
>>
>>65564885
>Nobody uses gtk anymore
Good for them.
Still, not a single app on my PC uses qt. I don't even have qt on my system.
>>
>>65564880
for nvidia too?
>>
>>65564081
*Except that one faggot
>>
>>65564949
Nvidia won't support wayland for the next few years. Their GBM replacement hasn't been touched for months and they expect everybody to jump onto EGLstreams but that won't ever happen(only mutter supports it but it's a piece of shit contaminated with javascript and LUL74FPS on high-end hw so don't use it).
>>
reminder that KDEfags are degenerate furrfags
>>
>>65565076
no u
>>
>>65564820
I mean, there's not one single piece of software without bugs.
>>
File: gtk-qt-cucks.png (205 KB, 1280x809)
205 KB
205 KB PNG
>>65564907
>refusing to use objectively better software for no reason
Good for you.
>>
>>65565151
>refusing
That a heavy assumption, anon.

I literally never needed one. Only exception was Rstudio and boy was it a piece of shit.
>>
I really don't get it, so many faggots here mention bugs, screen tearing what have you.
For past 2 or 3 years on KDE Manjaro I didn't have almost any problems. The few small things that were annoying there's already a fix.
Maybe try to learn how to use the fucking system and use stable distro. Also, stop being a neckbeard hipster trying to push "holier than thou" image for using the most esoteric shit you can find.
It makes you the same as "think different" faggots... Only on opposite spectrum
>>
>>65564511
Gnome devs are complete cancer, goddamn.
>>
>>65564820
No.
Will GNOME ever not be buggy? No.
Will XFCE ever not be buggy? No.
Will X ever not be buggy? No.

Find the buggy mess that works best for you.
>>
File: 1496790048374.jpg (3 KB, 125x125)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
KDE UI designers are blind, shitforbrains morons

Every major version is a convoluted, restraintless visual dumpsterfire of recent years design trends without a single thought about UX (why and how other platforms they copy from have bothered to implement their stuff)

Is the person responsible about UI/UX there a 14 y/o DeviantTard from Pakistan?
>>
>>65565011
How is Nouveau's GBM?
>>
>>65563980
Xfce4 with i3wm is the best combo.
>>
>>65564511
>>65565253
Newfag question. Does the GNOME developers have influence over GTK+ development?
>>
>>65565297
maybe, but UX is a meme for faggots
>>
>>65565297
At least they don't require client-side window decorations, or waste half my screen on their titlebars
>>
KDE is for gays.
>>
>>65563980
>fullscreen firefox with taskbar on top and on autohide
>can't drag tabs from other windows to a fullscreen firefox with titlebar hidden

it's an abstract bug but until they fix that then I'm not fucking with it
>>
>>65564636
You are behind the times granps. Newer amd cards are the best for Linux gaming now.
>>
I used to be a Gnome hater. But I recently switch to GNOME after years on KDE and it's actually great. I love it. KDE has better performance yes, but fucking terrible UX. GNOME is beautiful, polished.
>>
>>65565327
They are pretty much one and the same, the project git is even hosted at git.gnome.org

Qt otoh is completely separate and owned by the Qt company in Finnland, though I get the feeling KDE has a fair amount of influence on development, definitely more than LXDE, Budgie, and other Qt DEs.
>>
>>65565393
I am honestly curious, what do you like about GNOME's appearance?
I find it to be an appalling mix of iPad with hot corners mixed with what's left of GNOME 2.
>>
>>65564325
How the fuck is this even a fetish?
>>
>>65565489
Don't look at me, I just found it on DeviantArt. I guess they have to live up to the first part of the name. https://mirceakitsune.deviantart.com/art/Toughest-choice-of-a-Linux-user-670160126
>>
>>65565489
>>65565534

Here's something less creepy. Libbie the proposed LibreOffice mascot being consoled by Konqi and Kiki (Krita)
>>
>>65565603
Libbie looks way better when she isn't a polygonal mess.
>>
>>65565441
Well, first off, to be clear, I'm talking about the entire stack when I say GNOME and KDE. Not just the DEs themselves, but their application suite and such as well.

Basically, I was on the "GNOME sucks, KDE is the best" train for a while. I was one of the people shilling for KDE and posting memes about the GNOME devs and such. But then I started to think for myself instead of just lapping up all the GNOME hate. I decided to give GNOME a chance. Not try to bend and twist it into my pre-existing ideas of how a UI should be, but try it their way. I started reading up about the GNOME philosophy and history, and about the reasoning behind their different design decisions. Allan Day's blog ("Form and Function") is especially interesting. I found enlightenment.

GNOME is actually great. Yes, it has its issues, but so does KDE and everything else. None of the existing DEs are perfect. But GNOME is honestly the best there is. It's the standard Linux desktop for a reason. What KDE has over it are more features and customization, and better performance. But GNOME has a polished, user-friendly design. It's aesthetic, it's uncluttered, it's easy to understand and operate. They do actual user testing to see what makes sense to users and what works. KDE is a clusterfuck of menus and options all over the god damn place, and no sane defaults. It takes hours of going through all the settings to get it to work right, and even then it still looks ugly.

I've honestly really come to appreciate and respect the GNOME guys for what they do. I still respect KDE as well, but I've switched to GNOME and am enjoying it a lot. It just looks and works great out of the box, or maybe with a couple of extensions to fix things up. It really is a much nicer and more polished experience than KDE.
>>
>>65565441
Plus GNOME has the best Wayland support by far, and is more stable than KDE. KDE is a buggy, crashy mess, and barely functions at all on Wayland.

I do like how KDE follows standards and traditions, and the global/titlebar menu thing. But I also like how GNOME is innovating and isn't afraid to change things up and tell people to fuck off if there's a better way. Headerbars are actually really nice now that I've given them a chance, especially considering that a Unity HUD like feature is still possible with them (see the GNOME Plotinus extension). Firefox can even be styled with headerbars using userChrome.css (look up firefox-gnome-theme), and it looks awesome and fits right in. I love it.

I really don't feel like I'm missing much from KDE to be honest. I thought Dolphin was the best, and the file-tree sidebar was neat, but GNOME Files looks way better aesthetically and has some cool features of its own. GNOME provides an entire suite of software that's all cohesive and integrated with the system in a polished way, whereas KDE is just a mess. I suppose the only real thing is the file picker thumbnails, but it seems like they're finally working on that after all these years. I saw something on the bug tracker about making GNOME Files work as a file picker.

It feels to me like KDE has most of the developers and GNOME has most of the designers. The design, the front end, the user experience, the cohesiveness, the aesthetics, etc. are all so much better on GNOME. But I can't deny that GNOME uses up far too many system resources, and lacks features (like the file picker thumbnail), etc. There is no best. But between the two, I pick GNOME now.
>>
>>65564229
>Needs a retard-proof mode
No. Retards can get fucked.
>the dragon is a slut.
Mascots are for children, I have no idea why you even seek it out.
>>
>>65563980
>2018
>shilling for a desktop environment
Jesus Christ if they told you you'll be paid for this, they lied.
>>
File: mascot.png (84 KB, 400x408)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
>>65565603
>>65565653
Libbie is cute, but she's no Gracie
>>
>>65565688
That really sounds like Microsoft of the Windows 8 and Office Ribbon UI decisions.

They did user testing too, and for some people maybe it is a wonderful arrangement, but for everyone else...
let's just say I love Ribbon for how easy it makes it to convince Windows users to switch to Libreoffice.

Hey, if it works for you, great, but I run from GNOME every chance I can. I hear KDE on Wayland in Fedora is not the best, but I hear good things about KDE Neon's support for Wayland.

> It feels to me like KDE has most of the developers and GNOME has most of the designers.

That's ironic if true; the common thought a few years ago was the opposite. I didn't like Plasma 4 back then though, maybe I don't like designer OSs?
>>
>>65565844
>>65565603
>>65565653
What the fuck, is all free software marketed by furries to furries or what? Fuck this planet.
>>
File: 1513743168769.jpg (39 KB, 492x388)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Mfw everyone will be on KDE after 5.13 is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXkx2_sGbpE
>>
>>65565253
Yeah, I bet they are the same fuckers that made GTK+3 unusable for me with that awful scaling instead of DPI+ fontsize.
>>
>>65565297
Honestly, this desu. KDE stuff is good under the hood (mostly - fuck KMail etc) but the frontend is a mess. I don't think it can be fixed with a few "usability and productivity" tweaks here and there. I think the entire KDE frontend needs a total overhaul from scratch with proper care given to UX.
>>
>>65565952
Like what? Could you detail what sort of UX do you hate on KDE that is better on GNOME/XFCE/LXDE/Enlightenment?
>>
>>65565976
Not really. It's just everything, everywhere. It's an ugly mess. Menus everywhere overflowing with so many different items. Menus take up extra space, and if you move them to a titlebar button it looks and functions like shit, as if they haven't given it proper attention and polish. It doesn't even display the menu in the correct direction if it would go over the screen edge, and instead just goes off-screen. Horrible spacing and layout in applications. Inconsistencies everywhere. Horrible defaults. It's really just a mess. It needs a complete overhaul. GNOME on the other hand is polished and beautiful. Everything goes through a shit ton of design stages before they even start making anything. They have Human Interface Guidelines that they follow closely, and everything is cohesive and nice across the entire suite.
>>
>>65565653
>>65565603
wtf she is cute. glad I use libreoffice
>>
>>65563980
>inconsistent design
>glossy + skeuomorphic design in 2018
fuck no
>>
File: 1340727520448.jpg (552 KB, 768x1024)
552 KB
552 KB JPG
WHEN WILL IT BE PACKAGED FOR SOLUS
I HATE BUDGIE
>>
>>65566007
>They have Human Interface Guidelines that they follow closely, and everything is cohesive and nice across the entire suite.
That is good. Except that I think their design is crap, which just means that every HIG-following app is the same crap over and over.

>>65566043
What in KDE is skeuomorphic?
>>
>>65566043
If anything, gnome is more skeuomorphic. Put on some glasses maybe
>>
did they finally fix the fuckhuge ugly clock?
>>
I'd use gnome, but it's a laggy piece of shit
>>
>>65565390
>linux gaming
aahahahhahahaha
>>
>>65565895
To be clear, Libbie was just a proposal, as of now LO has no mascot

https://design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2017/11/20/statement-mascot-project/
>>
>>65565895
It's just that Tyson Tan is the only artist that gives a fuck about FLOSS.
>>
>>65565390
citation please
>>
>>65566242
this just again proves that 'creatives' have not a single purpose for linux and 'creatives' don't work for free

in return adobe, maxon, affinity, corel, autodesk etc etc will never have interest in bringing their shit to linux
>>
>>65565895
Cute animal characters are not your cup of tea? Well what other thing you would want? Generic unremarkable and forgettable animu moeblob with no marketable features, on account of it being generic? Or something along the lines of a fucking foot?
>>
>>65566077
What don't you like about the design?
>>
>>65566205

Linux results:
Steam: 10872
Humble Store: 2081
GoG: 837

It's definitely not impossible.
>>
File: Community Design (TM).png (1.56 MB, 1375x1425)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB PNG
>>65565297
b-b-but m-muh community design
>>
>>65566344
You don't need to give away your shit just because you were using Linux making it.
>>
>>65566358
The whole rest of the planet is ok with animal mascots, it's just /b/tards and the like-minded screeching about furries. It's like a childhood mental trauma.
>>
>>65565911
Can't wait.
>>
I love GTK+2. But GNOME fuckers killed GTK+3 to make fucking Tablets and be MacOS X.

KDE Always looks like shit.

What to do?
>>
File: windorse gtk2 GNUM.png (39 KB, 2133x147)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
a typical complaint about GNUM design approach is
>muh large toolbars

hmm...
>>
>>65563980
>KDE
Deepin looks like better technology to me
>>
>>65564325
this image is drawn by nigger
opensuse is has everything draw on the picture
>>
>>65563980
Bundgie is comfy. I can't wait till the QT transition is done. Fuck gtk3.
>>
>>65564115
>not installing proprietary gpu drivers for your proprietary hardware
>>
>>65564258
KDE supports wayland, just not for nvidia
and that is nvidia's fault, not KDE's
>>
>>65566596
Have you tried kde neon?
If you haven't just download the iso and see hiw the system runs.
>>
So, the only complains about KDE is that aesthetic word thrown away by liberal arts fagots?
>>
>>65566262
Just search phonorix benchmarks for the amdgpu driver. It's really good now and 3d works well with mesa.
>>
File: 1518226740759.png (1.09 MB, 1098x1645)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>65563980
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>65566962
Nvidia performs at the top across those benchmarks, only games where they dont is the Deus Ex and dota 2 game
>>
>>65566926
>Have you tried kde neon?
Nope.
I don't use DEs at all. It's just that software migrates from GTK+2 where I can set perfect font rendering and UI size through DPI to GTK+3 which has retarded scaling factors that fuck up constantly.

I wish GNOME developers didn't get such a hard on from tablets.
>>
>>65565895
it's proven that furries and scalies have high IQ and most of them are into STEM.
>>
>>65566969
My distribution uses MUSL.
Fuck off stallman.
>>
>>65566755
You are comparing a file browser to a terminal

Also, the toolbar can be hidden, the titlebar cannot. Unless you use Sway or some other tiling window manager where you move windows with key shortcuts.
>>
>>65564066
Stop using nvidia cards. They don't deserve anyone business.
>>
>>65567247
Force AMD to make better gpu's that are not shit
>>
>>65567411
AMD makes good hardware. Stop falling for marketing nvidiot. They don't even have screen tearing if you use the open source drivers. It's too bad Nvida put a lot of effort into making sure they would be total trash.
>>
>>65567482
Look at the benchmarks nigger, AMD runs on the skidmarks of Nvidia
>>
>>65567247
I have 270x and it tears.
>>
>>65567411
If you want them to make actually GPUs and not GPGPUs that can also game, maybe try buying them?
When the AMD cards are better, still nobody buys them; that's why AMD focuses on cards for datacenters and workstations now.
>>
>>65565911

yup, KDE is light years ahead. The C++ finally show it's power over the years.
>>
>>65567524
When they make a high end competitor that actually runs good and doesn't run like a fucking diesel heater il consider it
>>
>>65567544
> KDE is light years ahead in spite of C++
ftfy
>>
>>65567549
>il consider it
no you won't
>>
File: 1491917608353.jpg (138 KB, 653x726)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>65567589
>no you won't
>>
>>65567053
Then why are you sperging out about things you don't even bother using?
>>
>>65567632
>Then why are you sperging out about things you don't even bother using?
Because GNOME makes GTK+. They are the reason v3 is shit.
And Qt is pretty much used in KDE Projects and that's it.
>>
>>65567496
What benchmarks? The open source drivers work great.
>>
File: 1lmbq5.jpg (76 KB, 502x243)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>not using a completely hand made desktop environment atop X
>>
>>65567549
I have an rx550 and it runs fine. I had an 1030 gt and ran little hotter and louder not mention the Linux support was absolute trash.
>>
>>65567675
>And Qt is pretty much used in KDE Projects and that's it.
QT is used all over the place. It's cross platform unlike GTK. Lumia desktop is also QT based. Which is a freebsd desktop.
>>
>>65565603
>Libbie the proposed LibreOffice
seems they denied that entry.
>>
>>65565911
very nice man KDE is awesome.
>>
>>65568168
I'm mostly talking about the software such as browsers(mainstream), office suites, vector and raster editors.

There are qt alternatives, but mostly sub par ones.
>>
>>65566007
>Menus everywhere overflowing with so many different items.
Seems you are more of a Gnome user, having a lot of choice seems to overwhelm you.

A simple less advanced UI like that of Gnome will help a person like you I think
>>
>>65563980
well said op
>>
>>65564115
Just did that with Plasma 5.12 on Wayland and RX580 GPU
No screen tearing
>>
>>65565844
what software is this for so I can install it right the fuck now
not even a furry
>>
>>65565911
Because of the blur? I don't think so, most people (including me) hate transparency
I use KDE and hope they fix crashes on wayland. on x it runs smoothly
>>
File: plasmaondebian.png (676 KB, 1366x768)
676 KB
676 KB PNG
>>65565297
what the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>65566249
Well he has made the mascott for Krita so he should be glad about that.

Krita has taken the digital drawing world by storm so his mascot will be seen by all the art fags.
>>
>>65566205
you can play plenty on linux
>>
>>65566262
well all of the main KDE devs work and develop on AMD cards is a start
>>
>>65565603
I installed Krita solely because of the mascot, it turned out to actually be a good piece of software.
thank you, based Tyson Tan.
>>
>>65567165
https://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2014/08/27/gnome-design-saving-you-space-since-2009-or-so/
>What’s more, today’s Nautilus compares favourably with file managers from other operating systems/desktop environments. KDE’s Dolphin uses 109 vertical pixels of chrome compared with Nautilus’s 48. Finder in the upcoming OS X version seems to have around 75 pixels.
>>
>>65568304
It's always seem kinda split to me. I have plenty of gtk and QT applications on my system.
>>
>>65567165
>You are comparing a file browser to a terminal
GNOME Terminal just has a titlebar and nothing else. It's thinner than all the examples given. GNOME Files has the same height headerbar as whatever terminal thing he's using there, so it's good enough for the example.

>Also, the toolbar can be hidden, the titlebar cannot.
Just the GTK2 titlebar + menubar alone is about the same height as the GNOME headerbar, so even if you hide the toolbar you're not wasting space with GNOME. It's clean, compact, and looks great. Don't even get me started on the Windows screenshot. Disgusting.
>>
>>65568366
>most people (including me) hate transparency
>meanwhile literally every OS and most linux DEs have transparency enabled out of the box
Do you think the devs just go against """most users""" or you're just wrong?
>>
>>65568381
>Krita
why the popularity? I think that mypaint is actually better for drawing.
>>
>>65568458
What are your Qt-based software? I use:
° Firefox/Chromium/vimb - GTK+
° Libreoffice - GTK+
° GIMP/Mypaint/Inkscape - GTK+
Everything else is pretty much console-based.
>>
>>65568310
An uncluttered environment is just pleasant to work in. It's like a zen thing. KDE is a messy desk filled with all kinds of papers and tools and shit piled up everywhere in a sea of crap. GNOME is a clean and tidy desk with a few key things placed in perfect positions and rotations. GNOME is still more customizable than people give it credit for, if you dive into Dconf Editor.
>>
>>65568468
It can be a nice touch on some menu but who the fuck would put it on a whole terminal
>>
>>65568457
I hope you realize than Dolphin is considered by all to be vastly superior to Nautilus by all in the Linux community
>>
>>65568532
But you can customize KDE in about 10 minutes to look like you seem to want it to look.
>>
>>65564885
Bullshit. There's plenty of GTK applications and they are used by a lot of people. Now, if we change your statement to "nobody wants to use GTK anymore" then you're probably on to something.

>>65565327
>>65565253
GTK is no longer a general-purpose toolkit, it might as well stand for GNOME toolkit these days. The cancerous GNOME developers love to break GTK in all sorts of ways with absolutely no regard as to what happens to GTK applications outside of their precious little GNOME desktop environment. This causes all kinds of problems and developers have to either deal with it and chase a moving target or do a complete rewrite to Qt - or abandon their project.

The simple fact that GTK/GNOME developers are demanding that developers of GTK applications remove features that are fine on most desktops but doesn't fit with "the GNOME way" should tell you something. It's always been possible to start some GNU/Linux program in KDE or XFCE or MATE or GNOME or fluxbox or i3wm or blackbox without running into problems. The GNOME developers really want to change that and make programs "GNOME only". It's disgusting.
>>
>>65568518
Dolphin, Telegram, Krita, Konsole, QBittorrent.
LibreOffice uses VCL that can hookup to QT or GTK depends which DE you use.
Only GTK I use is chrome and firefox
>>
>>65568568
>But you can customize KDE in about 10 minutes to look like you seem to want it to look.
Not really.
I've never seen KDE looking like Adapta for GTK+
>>
At the end of the day, you have to just accept that GNOME is the best. It's the king. It's the standard Linux desktop, shipped by all distros that matter. If someone installs Linux, they get GNOME out of the box. It's the standard. It's what's supported. It's where all the manpower and funding is. Red Hat is building Linux almost single-handedly, and GNOME is a part of that. KDE is like a side hobby project by a group of devs. I'm not saying it sucks - it doesn't - but it just can't measure up in terms of polish and manpower.

GTK is the standard Linux toolkit, used by default by most Linux programs. Qt is cool and has interesting features, but it's really just more of a cross-platform toolkit. It lacks support for native Linux features like GNOME headerbars. Budgie's switching to Qt for its shell, but it's still going to use GTK (native Linux) applications. Purism is making a Linux phone, and it'll support KDE as an option, but it's going to use GNOME and GTK apps by default. That's just the standard.

GTK uses C, whereas Qt uses C++. It's well known that C is superior and cleaner. If you've spent much time on /g/ then you'll know that's a fact. And now it's 2018, we have Rust, which is a modern programming language that does everything better than everything else. It's the future of programming. And guess which toolkit has the best Rust integration? GTK.

Just accept it. GNOME is the standard. GTK is the standard. And there's a reason for that. A good rule of thumb in life is to go with the flow. Don't fight and swim against the current. You won't win like that.
>>
>>65568592
>Dolphin, Konsole, QBittorrent
All those three are toolkit independent for me (ranger, St, rtorrent).
>VCS
I have no DE. It defaults to GTK+
>Krita
Is it any better than GIMP?
>>
>>65568535
Wow it sure has a lot of users despite them all agreeing that it isn't the best. Or maybe you're just talking out of your ass.
>>
>>65568568
Please honestly show me a KDE environment, using KDE applications, customised to look and feel like GNOME. And I don't mean just a bar at the top with a clock in the middle and that's it. Show me applications that have a clean, beautiful, compact look. Show me headerbars. Show me right-click menus that don't have thousands of options. You just can't do that with KDE.
>>
>>65565390
>citation please
AMD cards are the best for GNU/Linux, period. This includes games. The reason is simple, they have free drivers. If you install nvidia's binary blob and upgrade the kernel or xorg or something else then you'll have a problem. Intel and AMD GPUs just work. Yes, Intel's iGPUs work great on Linux, just like AMDs APUs and dGPUs. NVidia is alone in providing no support and worse: preventing free drivers by using signed firmware blobs.

>>65565301
>How is Nouveau's GBM?
nouveau will never be good for anything unless nvidia changes their ways. It's not that developers aren't wasting their time trying, it's just not possible for them to do much. They get to piggy back off all the great gallium work done for the Intel and AMD drivers, but it doesn't help much at all when they can't even reclock the cards.
>>
>>65568585
>The cancerous GNOME developers love to break GTK in all sorts of ways with absolutely no regard
There's a clear roadmap for GTK 4. If you actually read our blogs and listen to us, you'll see we're making intelligent decisions and doing what we can to minimize breakage while advancing the GNOME Toolkit.
>>
>>65568629
It has nicer brushes
>>
>>65568639
>Show me applications that have a clean, beautiful, compact look.
You can't ask me this, I find Gnome to be disgustingly ugly and unusable.

So your ask is impossible, you can make KDE look more like Gnome but it will remain vastly superior, I can't downgrade it to what you want.
>>
OP is actually correct this time. KDE is the master race.
>>
Serious question. Why is Konsole so mother fucking ugly? At least by default. Can you even customize it to look normal? I'm referring to the ugly fat chrome around it, the thick borders, the enormous retard scrollbar, the fat tab bar along the bottom. It looks fucking disgusting. Other KDE applications look okay, but Konsole specifically looks like total shit and really puts me off the entire thing. GNOME Terminal is sleek and lightweight.
>>
>>65568684
Per brushes I use Mypaint.

Honestly, I'd like to go the Qt road, since GTK+3 is awful, but I really don't see myself replacing the apps.
>>
>>65568675
Why the fuck can't I set DPI and change fonts sizes too make a perfect look like in GTK+2?

Why the retarded scaling factors that died fucking work?
Here's an example: >>65560996
>>
>>65568726
>>
>>65564591
>why are you using Nvidia?
I don't. I don't buy nvidia card and I don't buy latops with a nvidia chip in them.

>>65567496
If you compare nvidia's binary blob - which will break your system on a regular basis and cause all kinds of problems - with AMDs free driver then comparaible nvidia cards win by a slight margin. It's different when you compare the free drivers. In AMDs case the free drivers are on-par with AMDs binary blob, in some cases the free driver is better/faster. On the nvidia side the free driver will give you less than half the performance. The gap is huge and it will remain huge because nvidia is deliberately preventing development of a good free driver. This means that AMD is the obvious and only choice - unless you want to patch your kernel and deal with all kinds of problems that come with binary blobs.
>>
nvidia has propriatery driver that they refuse to fix.
If you wanna use linux don't buy nvidia
>>
>>65568599
???
>>
>>65568592
>LibreOffice uses VCL that can hookup to QT or GTK depends which DE you use.
I really with this was more common. It really is quite cool how it just works with the toolkit of the desktop environment it happens to be in. It's quite sad that Libreoffice is unique in this way because it would be so much better if this were the norm. Firefox will just give you that eew gtk file picker regardless of what you're using.
>>
>>65568943
Windows are not rectangles, panel it still shit, window buttons are different from GTK+ Version.

Can I at least remove the bar under the titlebar?
>>
>>65568895
Nvidia overall performs better for gaming on Linux, Dota 2 and Deus Ex aside
>>
>>65567411
HD7970s were awesome. R9 290X was also a good card as long as you got a non-reference cooler. Polaris 10 is also a great card compared to nVidia in the same tier.
300 series were rebrands and refreshed of the 200 series, but even so an R9 390 was a better choice than the GTX970 with gimped memory.
The only series that really flopped badly was the overhyped Vega.
>>
>>65568985
do you even read? do you even have a GNU/Linux system? can you even look at graphs? the nouveau driver doesn't perform at all. Doesn't perform in any game. And it performs worse, not better, the newer hardware you have.

You have the choice of dealing with all kinds of idiotic problems that require work - such as frequent kernel patching and so on - with nvidia and their binary blob or you can do the same thing and use AMD.

There's no competition here, GNU/LInux performance is horrible with all nvidia cards (unless you use their blob). Doesn't matter much if you use a 1030 or a 1080, you'll have a shitty experience. Meanwhile on the AMd side a RX470 8GB is good enough for 3x4k 60Hz with the free amggpu GNU/Linux driver.
>>
>>65568980
All of this can be easily fixed (though I'm not 100% sure about the square windows), I just couldn't be bothered to mess with the config I use with my current theme.
>>
File: 1521905043680.gif (3.57 MB, 1280x720)
3.57 MB
3.57 MB GIF
>>65569102
>unless you use their blob
>>
>>65568975
There is a firefox kde edition available for opensuse, Debain/ubuntu and Arch. It uses dolphin.
>>
Sounds like it still doesn't play well with Nvidia, I really don't want to buy a new card
>>
When will you useless fuckers learn how to disable triple buffering if you have issues
>>
>>65569102
You'll still have a shit experience if you use the binary blob. Trust me I had a gt 1030 only the gaming performance is good. It's horrible on the desktop. I had to switch it out for an rx 550. Which is very good. I have to use the latest kernel though. It doesn't like anything pre 4.15.
>>
>>65568337
https://git.oppaiti.me/Oppaitime/Gazelle/#mascot
>>
>>65569676
What is this supposed to be exactly?
>>
>>65569765
A framework for running a private bittorrent tracker
>>
As a newfag I'm using gnome (default on ubuntu) and while it works fine, why do people hate it? The gnome extensions are pretty cool.

I know jackshit about gtk, Qt and everything else.
>>
>>65568384
wtf i love linux now
>>
File: GNOME arrogance.png (55 KB, 678x757)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>65569903
>>65564511
>>
Does KDE have something like GNOME extensions? The stuff about GNOME has made me reconsider but dash to dock and the gnome extensions are too good for me right now.

>>65570002
thanks. just learning this shit.
>>
I have a T440 with Ubuntu. Can I install KDE (without getting the boot screen saying Kubuntu) with wayland. It's integrated graphics so I'm not too worried about the nvidia issues.
>>
>>65570060
It has Latte Dock as a replacement to Dash to Dock and it has most GNOME extensions features built-in as Plasmoid/Widgets. You can even have a global menu like Unity and macOS.
>>
>>65568384
Are you the same guy that posted a lot of hentai games on his Ubuntu Mate desktop?
>>
>>65570060
KDE doesn't really *need* extensions to be functional like GNOME does but it has widgets you can add for stuff like redshift control/ temp gauges/ network monitor

and like this anon said>>65570092 latte dock has the same functionality as dash to dock
>>
Is there a stable release branch for wayland for ubuntu (18.04)?
>>
>>65570122
maybe
>>
>>65570092
>tfw debian STILL doesn't have latte dock in the repos
>>
>>65569175
Manjaro user here.
I tried installing it from AUR and it didn't work ('not enough storage' problem, there are other comments on the AUR page talking about this same problem).

The reasoning given by Mozilla's devs about why Firefox doesn't use kdialog still blows my mind because of it stupidity. Kinda sad.
>>
>>65564254
8 bit Smashing Pumpkins id'd
>>
>>65565390
>>65568656

AMD driver doesn't show up under proprietary drivers for me on 17.10 or 18.04 beta 2. This is on a dell m4800 with an AMD m5100.
>>
>>65570503
you're probably a thinknigger with like 4 gigs of ram
you probably need to expand your /tmp
Thats what you get for using mannuts though, debian has a firefox-kde and waterfox-kde repo.
>>
>>65570495
>tfw fedora doesn't either
>>
>>65570373
dios mio.....forgive me for I am a sinner.......
>>
>>65563980
All DEs for Linux are trash, twm is LITERALLY all you need.
>>
>>65570503
Use the bin version. Don't try to compile from source.
>>
>>65570993
I tried to install this one: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/firefox-kde-opensuse/

How do I use the bin version?
>>
I heard KDE is prone to crashing (at least compared to other DEs). Thinking of Ubuntu+Wayland+Plasma on a t440 (just intel graphics).
Is this true?
>>
>>65570538
You don't need them and AMD doesn't really care about them anymore. They work on their open-source drivers which are part of the kernel. Nvidia is a waste of time at this point. All you need is the drivers for vulkan and vdapu for video acceleration which are also free software available in the repositories.
>>
>>65571004
Sorry I was thinking of Waterfox which does have one. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/waterfox-kde-bin/
Bin versions are binary blobs so they're precompiled for you.
>>
>>65564066
Literally the absolute state of GNOME
>>
>>
>>65566596
>and be MacOS X
which is ironic since KDE makes a far better stand in for OSX

t. macfag
>>
>>65570002
>>65564511
GNOME is literally cancer
>>
>>65566110
Yes.
>>
File: kororaproject.jpg (150 KB, 1366x768)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>65563980
this is sexier then any kde distro, prove me wrong
>>
Kinda bloated desu, gnome or i3 works fine for my purposes
>>
>>65571751
this looks like shit, sorry
>>
File: Yes sir thats a cock.jpg (38 KB, 480x459)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>65570373
>>65570758
>>
>>65571768
>Kinda bloated
>gnome works fine for my purposes
Gnome uses like 2 to 3 times more resources than KDE does. It's so bad they gnome devs even acknowledged at is a "bug" now.
>>
>>65567411
Force nvidia to make a Linux driver that actually supports the standards that everyone else is using, or to stop gimping development of free drivers.

Also:
>GNU/Linux
>muh gaymen
Pick one.
>>
>>65568926
>>65571074
Linux is actually a significant market share for nvidia
Opencl tensorflow is still a wip, and will likely be way inferior to Cuda tensorflow
So if you want to use tensorflow or other
machine learning you're going to need an Nvidia card even on Linux.
Nvidia literally controls the machine learning and GPGPU market, which is the main use of graphics cards on Linux since gaymers are all on wangblows
>>
>>65563980
>crashing desktop
>uses more than 250mb on startup
>>
File: konquered.gif (21 KB, 710x828)
21 KB
21 KB GIF
>>65571768
>bloated
>uses gnome
>>
>>65563980

> install kde neon, launch update manager, system crash...
> install kubuntu lts, launch update manager, system crash...

At least it's consistent.
>>
>>65570128
>>65570092
Does latte dock have intelligent hide/shows even when an application is fullscreen?
>>
>>65569125
>All of this can be easily fixed (
Doubt that.
>>
>>65563980
I am using old plasma. Have they fix their issue where you could not set different wallpapers on different workspaces?
>>
>>65563980
i would use i3 if i wasnt too brainlet to install it and have it work properly
shit freezes if you use sddm as well
being new is suffering
>>
File: 1504882369799.png (180 KB, 1441x772)
180 KB
180 KB PNG
>get latest kdialog from github
>compile
sudo mv kdialog /usr/bin/kdialog

glorious default action to save file when pressing enter
>>
How do I replicate Chicago95 on KDE
>>
SSD is a must tho. Otherwise you will die while waiting for it to load.
>>
>>65573549
KDE is not gnome, anon, you can actually customize shit
>>
>>65574072
>you can actually customize shit
Yeah, sure.

I'm not doubting that it has 10 thousand checkboxes, but I can always say if I'm looking at KDE.

So no, you can't really customize it.

And I'll never forget the struggle to turn the nepomuk off.
>>
>>65574100
Nepomuk isn't even a thing anymore. Stop basing your opinions on Plasma 4.
>>
>>65565390
>>65568656

I'm about to build a ryzen linux machine. I was about to get an 1050Ti. You are telling me I should get a AMD GPU instead?
>>
>>65574158
Yes. AMD is orders of magnitude better on Linux.
>>
>>65574164
Thanks, that saved me some trouble guess.
Will post when its done, I'll try KDE neon.
>>
>>65574133
>Nepomuk isn't even a thing anymore
I know. It was and it was unremovable shit. During KDE4 all the current arguments were the same.

That said, I can spot KDE even in 5th version. I doesn't look much different overall. And it still can't be made to look decent, unless you like the default aesthetic.
>>
>>65566062
I think when solus 4 will be released.
There is already a Solus KDE iso but it's only for patreons (it' s still in beta i think).
Currently on Solus Gnome btw
>>
>>65567482
I don't mind their hardware, it's their software stack that sucks. CUDA is king, and because AMD doesn't have an alternative I'm forced to use nvidia for work.
>>
>>65566358
Why does software even need mascots? It's fucking software.
>>
>>65574236
Why not?
>>
>>65573930
Not at all, works fine on this ancient drive.
gnome on the other hand would take at least 20 seconds just to open up the application drawer or whatever the fuck they call it.
>>
meh. Deepin is definitely better
>>
I liked this theme. https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1192957/ is there anything else similar? It made the shell and window borders black but didn't set a global dark theme.
>>
>>65563980
xfce
/thread
>>
active control on kde causes the whole thing to crash :( oh well I guess I'll never get unity fully back.
>>
>>65574975
after kde crashes how do I get it back?
>>
>>65564066
this
even with proprietary drivers, it still sucks the most
>inb4 stop using nvidia
yeah let's change the hardware instead of the software am i rite
>>
File: .png (1.46 MB, 1366x768)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB PNG
yep
>>
>>65575010
>yeah let's change the hardware instead of the software am i rite
Precisely. Nvidia completely fucks you around when it comes to Linux. They can go fuck themselves.
Don't buy their trash, and get an AMD card or use Intel iGPUs instead.
>>
File: 8cfa123d.jpg (42 KB, 480x640)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
xfce+compton is much better than KDE for ramlets such as myself. Xfce 4.14 will have opengl instead of Xrenderer so once that's released xfce will be officially superior to KDE.
>>
>>65568629
Krita and Gimp are fundamentally different software. One is a painting program, the other is an editor. I use both for different tasks. I do not paint in Gimp. But, I'm a windowsfag, so take that how you will.
>>
>>65575236
Have you compared Krita to Mypaint?
>>
>>65575236
Krita is digging pretty deep into Gimp's field though. The only thing I still use Gimp for is pixel precise stuff, which Krita isn't great at.
>>
>>65563980
because it takes 1 minute to open dolphin
>>
>>65564066
that's xfeces not plasma
>>
is there a widget to see what networks are in range/connected to? I don't get why isn't not in the default system tray.
>>
>>65575247
No, but asking around my Discord, no one uses it. That doesn't mean much, considering only a couple of us even use Krita and most of them have Adobe licenses, but still.

>>65575253
Considering I do a lot of pixel work, I kind of need Gimp. I have Krita installed almost exclusively to help people out with their projects.
>>
>>65575225
There is almost no difference in memory usage between xfce and kde.
>>
>>65575406
Why are you lying?
>>
>>65563980
Expect that KDE and Plasma 5 is crap and has unforgivable number of bugs and freezes that only low-quality life searching people would accept to be a part of.
>>
>>65575530
100mb is nothing
>>
>>65565911
lel
>>
>>65575641
it's much more than that and if you're a ramlet like me, it matters. Why defend bloat?
>>
>>65575572
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>65564893
I'm new to this terminology anon excuse my autism
>>
File: 3qDesk0.png (126 KB, 1020x1230)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
>linux manlet here
>got my first linux 2 weeks ago
>elementaryOS
>confy
should i change?
>>
>>65576729
Well, if you like it it's fine. But it doesn't really let you change things around and the packages are ancient by now.
>>
>>65576729
Not really. Stay in elementary and get used to using linux and its way of doing things. And then you change distro when you want to rice your desktop.
>>
>>65566062

what's wrong with Budgie apart that is a gnome fork?
>>
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 286x176)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>65576994
>>65578028
roger that, thx boys :)
>>
>>65571768
>bloated
>gnome works fine

Are you genuinely a retard?
>>
>>65574205
sunnyflunk said on IRC that the KDE flavour will not be released together with Solus 4
maybe a beta iso not for patrons only
>>
>not doing custom X/Wayland yourself
God you /v/ fags disgust me
>>
I want to buy an AMD card but don't know which one. Also graphics cards are stupidly expensive at the moment
>>
>>65573342
yes
>>
>>65575048

beautiful
>>
I'm thinking about trying my luck with KDE Neon, but then I saw this: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=139435
It is really THAT bad now? Or most of it, especially Dolphin's bugs are solved by now (18.04)?
>>
>>65578900
>post from a year ago
plasmashell memory leaks aside (which happens on other distros as well), I had no problems with Neon
>>
>>65578900
Antergos is the way to go for kde. Opensuse is good too in my experience Ubuntu based distros are a mess.
>>65578640
What are using it for?
>>
>>65565534
In the spirit of Autism Awareness month

https://aryion.com/g4/user/MirceaKitsune
>>
>>65579003
>Antergos is the way to go for kde.
Why, what does it have better than other distros?
I'm currently on Manjaro KDE. Solid distro, no problems at all.

>Ubuntu based distros are a mess.
Kubuntu 17.04 was one of the best Plasma-based distros ever released, a lot of people are actually hyped and worried at the same time for the 18.04, to see if it keeps being good or regression fucks it all again.
>>
>>65579657
The packages are fully up to date and it comes with preconfigured vanilla kde. Manjaro is good too. Ubuntu and Debian are a mess of old packages and the developers touching things they shouldn't as a result of the old packages. Vanilla package straight from the source are the best. Manjaro is fine but Antergos is more stable on my machine. OpenSuse is good for old hardware because you can use the latest user packages but still enjoy stable system packages. It also has great kde support.
>>
>>65579003
>What are using it for?

gaming

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.