[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: apu-toothbrush.png (81 KB, 713x809)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread: >>67584215
>>
File: gentoo.webm (1.24 MB, 960x536)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB WEBM
first for gentoo

>>67597986
you have customization in /usr?

>>67598155
I agree, but they didn't even think to connect the licensing to the reason it's suffering but obviously that's the reason.
What's even more crazy is that the linux kernel isn't even that copyleft with gpl v2
>>
Ok
>>
stop posting frogs
>>
so ive done several installs of manjaro now, after rebooting after pacman -Syu it wont boot and stops at starting version 231 and some stuff about memory etc. Ive figured out it has something to do with nvidia drivers. In hardware detection i have nvidia nouveau selected, which is default after a fresh install, and i can reboot until i do a system upgrade. If i try to reinstall nouveau i get this error message: xf86-video-nouveau and xorg-server are in conflict.

How do i fix this
>>
>>67602104
make a better meme out of anime first
>>
>>67602119
whatever fuck this broken piece of shit ill just go back to kubuntu
>>
I'm using Arch Linux and ALSA
I have problem with no sound in games in wine while they work fine for example using Steam+Proton
The sound works in the intro while inside of the menu and actual game it's silent. This happens in both games I tested: HL2 and Doom3 BFG.
I have lib32-alsa-lib and lib32-alsa-plugins installed as it said in the wiki.
When I run "wine doom3bfg" in the terminal there are some errors related to audio:
0009:fixme:xaudio2:LEGACY_X3DAudioInitialize 0x3, 340.290009, 0x1108584: Stub!
ALSA lib pcm.c:8424:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred

Help please
>>
>>67602066
Post Stallmans or Linus in the OP.
>>
>>67602345
>xaudio
try 'winetricks xact'
>>
>>67602365
It works now. Thank you.
>>
>>67602347
next time
>>
I assume Wine also have a /system32 or /documents equivalent too? As in, it replicates the windows folder structure right? So that whatever a windows program needs, that's usually scattered everywhere inside a \user folder, is easily replaced on Wine.
I have some applications that places .dll(s) inside the windows system32 folder, if this can be easily replicated on Wine it'd make the transition easier.
>>
>>67602411
np, thanks for posting relevant log information so we didn't need to spend 20 minutes figuring out something the software has already mentioned
>>
Is there a distro like Arch but less barebones? Something which comes with a desktop environment from the start?
>>
>>67602104
"no"
>>
>>67602507
slackware
>>
>>67602507
In that case then what does "like Arch" mean to you? Bleeding edge? Access to the AUR? Pacman?
>>
File: But WHY.png (113 KB, 1918x998)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>Tomcat
I have never hated a program more than I have at this very moment in time.
>lmao just apt-get
Except that doesn't fucking work because this is Amazon AWS we're talking about. 18.04, Tomcat 7, Java 8.
>javax/servlet/GenericFilter
is apparently missing, as is
>org/apache/tomcat/websocket/server/wsfilter
How the fuck is this THIS hard? This should be fucking cake.
>>
>>67602493
yes, it does.
in wine, this 'windows folder structure' is called a prefix, the default if not overridden is ~/.wine
it contains the registry (in flat text format), and the 'c drive', which itself has things like 'windows', 'program files', 'users', etc.
some folders, like 'drive_c/users/<user>/Desktop' are symlinks to your real equivalent folder by default. remember that wine is not a sandbox, and tries to integrate windows programs as much as it can
also note that replacing dll's in the prefixes' system32 folder may also require you to add an entry in winecfg to tell wine to use it over it's internal implementation, if it's something that wine ships a clone of (for example, dropping a hook d3d9.dll in system32 won't do anything until you set 'd3d9' to 'native' in winecfg)
>>
>>67602558
ugh, i ran something that needed tomcat once
getting it to work wasn't /difficult/ per-se, it was just really weird and ugly
>>
>>67602507
install gentoo
>>
>>67602507
No. 1 on distrowatch my man
>1 Manjaro 3947
>>
is there an opensuse version with xfce?
>>
>>67602066
based
>>67602104
cringe
>>
>>67603037
Yes. I don't think there is a xfce media. You have to download the full one and choose it during the install.
>>
>>67603272
are you sure about that? i know on the live versions of opensuse you have to choose either foot or kde, do they really give you the option of choosing xfce on install?
>>
hi i'd just like to say that i've had no problems at all with my linux installation in a long time and am enjoying my time with it
thanks
>>
>>67603371
what distro?
>>
>>67603331
I think so. Last I used it was a long time ago. Wort case scenario it will download it as if it was a netinstall.
You used to be able to make a custom OpenSuSe iso, idk if it is still available.
>>
>>67603405
well there's plenty of support for installing it after the fact in case they don't provide it under initial install, but honestly KDE works so smoothly on it that I guess it just comes down to personal preference
>>
>>67603331
>foot
the DE known as foot
>>
>>67602579
Thanks for that, I'm gonna install openSUSE and use only it for a week. I've already used ubuntu before, but YaST and one click installs from the SUSE website seems really useful.
>>
>>67603037
No, but in the installer you can select xfce in the custom section.
>>
>>67603494
>>67603331
>>67603272
is opensuse with xfce who really liked manjaro but got tired of kde breaking?
>>
>>67603399
obonto
>>
>>67603509
You get a working distro with a resource friendly, working DE. If that's what you seek, yes.
>>
>>67603509
Why not install Xubuntu instead?
>>
>>67603509
>tired of kde breaking?
use kde neon
>>
>>67603565
i dont like apt
>>67603683
is neon older than plasma?
>>
>>67603694
gooby pls, KDE Neon is the "official" KDE distro, maintained by the KDE devs themselves. It ships with the latest KDE.
>>
>>67603509
>kde breaking
>on openSUSE
nigga what, never had any problems
>>
>>67603776
he said KDE breaking on memejaro.
>>
Is "solarized" terminal theme really easier on eye strain as it claims?
Putting all other opinions about it aside, I'll use whatever is easiest on the eyes. If not then can anyone recommend a different theme that's better for the eyes? Specifically when it comes to staring at code in vim for long hours.
>>
>>67603784
>memejaro
why is it a meme? because it is popular?
>>
>install debian on second hard drive, it installs grub on the drive as well as it should in efi partition
>recognizes windows install on first hard drive
>worked fine once, now throws a uefi error when I try to select windows bootloader from grub
>when I interrupt startup and boot from the windows drive it works fine so the bootloader clearly works there
I have secureboot and fast startup disabled
>>
>>67602066
So I edit my config file in /home/myuser/.config/termite but nothing seems to change what gives?
I just want a clear terminal
>>
>>67603814
distrowatchs i++ counter is not a popularity indicator.

it's a meme because 90% of the pure dumbfuck retarded questions in fglt are all come from manjaro users.
>>
>>67603814
pretty much, also it breaks when detecting an xhci controller it doesn't like
openSUSE just werks
>>
>>67603873
>>67603857
>>67603857
you got a good guide to switch from win to opensuse or manj?
>>
>>67603883
wiki.archlinux.org
>>
>>67603814
manjaro and mint are terrible "franken-distros", broken versions of the distros they're based on
if you want arch with a gui installer that sets up a DE for you, use Antergos
if you want Ubuntu with cinnamon, install cinnamon on ubuntu
>>
>>67603857
Not that anon but I seriously am getting sick of this kind of thinking.
We have new users in these threads. Get the fuck over it. You don't always have to take your frustration out on the distros they tend to flock to.
>>
>>67603883
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:How_to_migrate_from_Windows
openSUSE has a ton of documentation
>>
>>67603911
not him, but i understand the frustration
being an arch user, i try to help arch-related questions, so i've seen plenty of times conversations that end with "oh, it was broken because <thing specific to manjaro>"
if you know what you're doing, and want to use manjaro for whatever reason, that's on you. just say you're running manjaro, not arch.
>>
>>67603906
Manjaro just werks AND has yaourt/AUR.
>>
File: a.png (102 KB, 1007x865)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
>>67603933
>yaourt
incase you're being sincere, don't use yaourt
>>
>>67603943
is yay the best then?
>>
>>67602066
i love apu!
>>
>>67603952
whatever you do, be sure it lets you actually read a PKGBUILD
>>
alright I'm gonna try out arch because archfags keeps shitting on apt, if I can't install pcmanfm-qt without installing everything from lxqt using pacman I'm gonna flip
>>
>>67603986
because you expected it;
> yay -S pcmanfm-qt
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (6) libfm-1.3.0.2-1 libfm-extra-1.3.0.2-1 libfm-qt-0.13.0-1
lxmenu-data-0.1.5-1 menu-cache-1.1.0-1 pcmanfm-qt-0.13.0-1

Total Download Size: 1.21 MiB
Total Installed Size: 7.33 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
>>
>>67603997
(ps, i don't use lxqt/kde/other qt-based DEs, just a couple of qt programs, hence no qt itself in that list)
>>
File: 2018-09-14_19:41:10.png (157 KB, 1905x620)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
>>67603997
that's better than apt (of you don't want a bunch of junk laying around on your drive), or maybe I should blame debian for how they pack their packages
>>
>>67604030
debian packages are generally more granular than arch packages
did you remember to disable 'recommends' and 'suggested' packages?
>>
>>67604030
you can see which ones are suggested and recommended, it doesn't install them unless you tell apt to
>>
>>67604055
meant to reply to >>67604045
>>
>>67604055
last time i used debian it installed them automatically until i specifically disabled them in apt's config
this was some time ago, though, like debian 6 or something
>>
anyone use amd apus?
>>
I dualboot Windows 10 and Debian, do I need to be afraid Windows will delete or overwrite my Debian things with the fall update?
>>
>>67604079
My debian install survived 3 big windows 10 service packs in a row. Not even grub mbr was touched.
>>
is there any option to configure and set open source gpu drivers for AMD as it is possible on this windows utility?
>>
Why are all distros shit?
>>
>>67604417
Install GuixSD
>>
Need help picking a distro for my ThinkPad. Never used much Linux outside Xubuntu, though Im a programmer and feel like I could use a more advanced distro if needed.

While I like the community around Gentoo I think I would be putting in a lot more work for no practical benefit. Same for Slackware.

I fucking hate Canonical and the Debian community but it's hard to justify other distros for me
>>
>>67604447
I was considering GuixSD for fun but I heard it needs more time to polish.
>>
>>67604470
It does. But it will be well worth the wait.
I'm using it now though because I'm autistic.
>>
>>67604457
> I fucking hate
That's the main problem you should fix first.
>>
File: E17_bw_screenshot.png (594 KB, 1280x1024)
594 KB
594 KB PNG
What a horrible looking DE
>>
>>67603815
I've double checked that Debian is booted in EFI mode, I assume something is messed up in grub configuration. It's pointing at the right partition for the windows bootloader, but the path might be off or something?
>>
>>67604509
I can just use Kubuntu and be productive but I wish there were better options.
>>
>>67604457
>>67604550
Stick with Ubuntu until GuixSD has KDE. Then install GuixSD
>>
File: whatthfucuk.png (54 KB, 514x652)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
What the fuck did i do?
>>
>>67604571
Looks like a file got reduced by 11,644 bytes between 01Sep and 14Sep.
>>
Recently, while I was installing linux, I noticed that whenever I run the ping command with a URL I get a message saying "Destination unreachable: No Route." However, I can ping external IP addresses just fine. I don't remember having this problem with linux in the past. Just out of curiosity I ran the ping command in a windows command prompt from a different computer and it was able to ping URLs. The same windows computer couldn't ping the same URL when I ran the ping command from the windows subsystem for linux. This leads me to believe that this isn't an issue with my router. Any ideas on how to fix this.
>>
>>67604571
made a decent bait. One of the files is tip other is tlp
>>
Is there really a difference between copying with cp and rsync in terms of data integrity? Assuming I don't use rsync's features to verify hashes (if it has those), it has to be the same, right?

All I want is to just copy a directory tree for backups.
>>
>>67604765
Sounds like a weird DNS issue.
Try setting your DNS servers to a 3rd party DNS server like google dns, clodflare DNS or pick one from opennic and see if the problem persists. If it does, change you DNS servers (however if you decide to change, use an opennic server).
>>
DEVUAN
>>
>>67604765
linux is a kernel
>>
>>67604824
After I noticed this I went into my router settings and manually set the DNS server to opendns. The problem persisted.
>>
>>67604850
what was the url you are trying to ping?
>>
>>67604850
Is your computer getting ip via DHCP or static?
If you do static then the router doesn't tell your machine about what DNS servers are available. You need to configure the DNS servers using resolv-conf or similar.
>>
>>67604030
>>67603986

You're a fucking retard. Your package manager has nothing to do with the package's declared mandatory dependencies.
>>
>>67604791
Should be the same. For backups make sure it keeps all the metadata with the archive -a or similar options.
>>
>>67604571
>>67604779
I legitimately didn't see that it was tip v tlp
How do I unfuck my font rendering?
>>
>>67604863
google.com
archlinux.org

>>67604868
the router is assigning ip addresses on the network, so DHCP i guess. (I'm not very good with networking)
>>
Need a 5.25 USB hub for my PC, are there specific ones I should buy or will they all 'just work'?
>>
So I'm a fucking retard and accidentally firewalled myself out of a server I need to access by ssh. How do I break in safely without completely fucking it?
>>
>>67605100
they should just werk.
>>
>>67604948
then enable the dns resolution feature of your dhcp client? you have some knowledge deficiencies obviously though.
>>
>>67605155
you don't have physical access? have them put it in recovery
>>
>>67604516

Don't judge people on their aesthetics preferences, anon.
>>
>>67605213
It's an AWS server, and I can't delete it because it's got sensitive information. I'm gonna try to remount the volume to another instance and see if that works like I hear it does. The problem is I don't remember how I set up the ufw, so I could be wrong.
>>
Why are the most popular distros like Ubuntu and Fedora so bloated and demanding by default (Gnome desktop)?
>>
>>67605481
popular = bad didn't become a thing for no reason. It's a near-universal rule that always managers to remain true.
>>
any one know the lag Proton/Wine introduces to games?

considering installing Linux as main install im fine with like 5-10ms or some thing but if its higher I might pass. any one tested?
>>
>>67605481
Install Xubuntu
>>
>>67605520
might actually be less lag than windows which is like 3-6ms but just wondering if any one has data.
>>
>>67605520
what do you mean """""""""""""""'lag""""""""""""""""?
input lag?
no.
>>
>>67605520
Don't use it for gaming yet. Survive with W7 for now, use 8.1 with classic shell as a last resort.

5 years from now you should be fine to game on gnu / Linux, nowadays it's pretty shit still.
>>
>>67605520
If your gpu cant do vulkan, there wil be a massive overhead playing games with wine vs natively on windows, easily worse than half the framerate
>>
File: xubuntu.png (50 KB, 1024x1024)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
Why should I ever upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04?

Tried it once and didn't notice any benefit, just got more trouble with compatibility.
>>
>>67605580
One day 16.04 support will end, then no bug fixes, no security fixes, no new kernel and no new software for you.
>>
>>67605559
why is 5-10% worse performance shit.

I don't care if I get 120fps instead of 144 I use a crt that's 120hz.
>>
>>67604874
if I want lxqt-appearance I have to install lxqt-settings which comes with wayland dependencies, is that mandatory too for it to work on my xorg desktop?
>>
>>67605552
Linux dumb ass. I mean the time it takes for the transition layer to process the game in wine/proton you dumb cunt you pretend your a hacker on Linux and don't know the most basic shit..

you prob literally think input lag and response time are different things because your slow as fuck.
>>
>>67605579
is a 980 4g a vulkan gpu? that's what I got. and it will prob be pared with a 5.3ghz 7600k or 9900k
>>
>>67605722
It's not his fault that you can't formulate a question right and use the right words. What you are talking about is overhead.
And why do you make this outrageous claim:
>you pretend your a hacker on Linux and don't know the most basic shit..
>>
>>67602066
I've been using Fedora with i3wm for about 5 months now.

I really like it and it is super stable and does everything I need it to do.

Its the first time i've found myself comfortable using Linux, having tried a few other distros in the past but not really getting it.

My question is;

Is Fedora a shitty distro to get wedded to. Is there going to be something that bites me in the ass in a years time having chosen this distro?
>>
>>67605762
look motherboard+gpu is 3ms windows+game is like 1-3ms

I want to know if Linux+wine/proton is similar to win+game or abit more

your mouse is like 15ms and your keyboard is 30ms and your monitor is 10ms (even if its branded as 1ms)

can some one please test it... ill do it myself but I would like to know.

if Linux+proton is like 5-10ms slower than windows I don't care but if its more that sucks pretty simple question.
>>
>>67605820
Broscience: The post
>>
Hey, I just partitioned my ssd, how do I install ubuntu on that partition?
>>
File: 1523302195132.png (68 KB, 800x1127)
68 KB
68 KB PNG
"start menu" on KDE opens on meta press even when I'm using a virtual machine (so "start menu" pops open both there and on my desktop)
Any ideas on how to fix it?
>>
>>67605891
retard
>>
>>67605861
>>67605820
just set your phone to 1000fps with a app and film yourself clicking your mouse or keyboard and add it up. its not fuckign hard to do.. if its faster than windows by afue ms you literally have the ultimate fuel to convince ESL and esports nuts to use Linux at lans after afue years gaming on windows will die. you win.
>>
>>67605901
I've done it before you fat piece of shit.
>>
why are you partitioning drives. every thing can fit two just buy a m.2 if you have a laptop partitioned drives are not worth the extra effort doing things in bios are so much easier.
>>
>>67605895
are you using spice? spice should lock the keyboard and require a special key combination to return to host machine.
>>
What is the DE on kali linux (in the default distro "kali linux 32/64 bits"
>>
>>67606076
yes and no
It's a gpu-passtrough setup and I'm trying to move to synergy (is there anything better btw?)
Regardless, synergy or spice console - the meta behavior is the same. It it being send to both virtual and physical machine.
>>
>>67606150
Gnome 3. Use the xfce version it's not coded by code monkeys. Gnome is a plague.
>>
>>67606177
if you're not using the spice display then you're not using spice
my gpu passthrough setup uses passthrough usb for keyboard and mouse :/
>>
>>67606220
I am using both, I just have the spice display disabled on windows. It's a workaround to get the sound working, I'll switch to PA server sometime soon.
>>
>>67606297
spice never locks the keyboard because you never clicked on the spice display in the host.
>>
>>67606313
every other input works as intended though
Anyways, is there a workaround/fix for that which doesn't include using spice? I'm gonna stop using it as soon as I get audio working some other way.
>>
I have a bunch of files that being with a unicode symbol that I can't type on my keyboard. I have started to use unicodelookup to memorize the hexadecmal of the first char to auto-complete it since you can do that with ctrl+shift+u
Eg. 6182 for 憂, 627 for ا,
and ff33 for S
Is this niggerlicious or divine intellect?
>>
>>67606481
!graphemica triangle
!graphemica ▲
>>
is it still necessary to use the deb-multimedia repository anymore?
>>
>>67606585
!graphemica 25b2
>>
>>67606481
It's fine, but in general, if you want to be on the safe side of life, just don't use Unicode at all. On the other hand, life's short. Man, crisis incoming.
>>
File: 1536960333933.jpg (61 KB, 523x512)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>67606607
sⅿh desu faⅿ, unicode literally enables free speech
>>
how can I get the temp of my hardware in linux?
similar to speccy or whatever
thanks
>>
>>67606751
Try acpi -t
>>
>>67606804
no output
I'm on gentoo by the way
>>
>>67606820
try
find /sys -type f | grep -ie temp

or
find /sys -type f | grep -ie therm

and see if there is interesting files.

That's all I know. Sorry if it doesn't help. At least just try to boot another distribution, maybe you just miss some kernel modules.
>>
>>67606854
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/o9cIAVTDj5qzgEtThrp5/
some of these seem maybe interesting
>>
I just installed Opensuse, but I seemed to have fucked up the hard drive partition. There is not enough space for all my stuff on the main partition. How do I fix this?
>>
Why is KDE so comfy ?
>>
>>67606751
lmsensors
>>
>>67606904
resize it with gparted
>>
>>67606854
>find | grep
Is this the absolute state of /fglt/, or is there room for help?
>>
is there any l33t way to capture screen on loonix, like /dev/video > file.webm or so?
>>
>>67607075
Gahnoo/Loonix*. Loonix is a kernal.
>>
>>67607075
scrot
>>
>>67607075
ffmpeg
>>
>>67607094
as defined by POSIX
>>67607101
but it wont capture video right?
>>67607105
not l33t enough
>>
>>67607125
There's an ancient relict in x called xwd, x window dump, that you can use to directly gram the screen. Fir video - no idea.
>>
Opensuse xfce broke on me by doing nothing. Jolly. Trying lxde then kde
>>
anybody know how to use linux-image packages in debian based distributions?
I installed the linux-image-virtual-hwe and linux-headers-virtual-hwe packages but no new kernel images appear in /boot
>>
>>67607075
easy screen recorder
>do you even linux faggot?
>>
>>67607075
#!/bin/bash
FOLDER="/tmp/capture"
i=0
mkdir "$FOLDER"
while true; do
/usr/bin/scrot "$FOLDER/frame$i.png"
i=$((i+1))
/usr/bin/sleep 0.05
done
>>
>>67607067
>Is this the absolute state of /fglt/, or is there room for help?
Ho please, shut up.
>>
>>67607219
simplescreenrecorder is also good.
>>
>>67606899
>https://paste.pound-python.org/show/o9cIAVTDj5qzgEtThrp5/
And for temp? Nothing?
>>
>>67607253
just those first 5 that also show up for therm
>>
>>67607267
Did you try another kernel? Like booting with the iso of Arch?
>>
>>67607227
>20fps
well thats pretty 1337 though
is there any way i can append those frames to each other in ffmpeg or so?
>>
>>67607282
I'm in the middle of a really long emerge, I was just curious how hot my cpu is getting
>>
Alright, so I'm in a situation. I'm somewhat familiar with linux, installed Debian on a new PC, installed xorg and i3, but i3 refuses to work.

I have i3 set up on my main computer, but on this new computer i3 will not execute any commands. Mod+Enter, Mod+D, Mod+[1-9], nothing works. However xorg detects keyboard input. if I startx i3 I get a terminal that I can close (which kills the session) and I can type in that window, which tells me that xorg is functioning as expected.

I've tried setting mod to Meta1/4, tried making errors in the config file (i3 detects the errors, which means its reading the file, but no luck), tried everything I can think. What the fuck am I doing wrong.
>>
>>67607294
why not use "sensors"? My sample output right now
$ sensors
radeon-pci-0008
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: +46.0°C (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

k10temp-pci-00c3
temp1: +46.5°C (high = +70.0°C)
(crit = +99.0°C, hyst = +91.5°C)

radeon-pci-0100
temp1: N/A (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

fam15h_power-pci-00c4
power1: N/A (crit = 18.96 W)
>>
Does NFS generate any baseline network traffic? Like suppose I mount an NFS share but then don't issue any reads or writes to it. It should just sit there quietly until I do, yes?

I ask because I set up a NAS. I want it to spin down its drives while I sleep to save them some wear and tear, but they don't stay spun down. Something's waking them up during the night. The NAS box has a separate boot disk, so it can't just be some junk getting written to syslog or the like.
>>
>>67607395
is this from sys-apps/lm_sensors?
>>
>>67607380
Dont use i3
>>
>>67607380
Can you do from a virtual console
startx "$(which xterm)"

And from that terminal
i3 |& tee i3-log.txt

And after that examine closely that file.
>>
>>67607406
yes
>>
>>67607380
post your .xinitrc
>>
>>67607227
>i+1
>not i++
Do you even 1337
>>
>>67607420
~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/modules-load restart
* Loading module f71882fg ...
* Failed to load f71882fg [ !! ]
* Loading module fam15h_power ...
* Failed to load fam15h_power [ !! ]
* Loading module k10temp ...
* Failed to load k10temp

looks like I'll need to enable some modules before this will work
thanks though
>>
>>67607447
>i++
wtf thats way to confusing anon
https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0004-remove-pre-post-inc-decrement.md
>>
>>67607211
nvm figured it out
virtual kernels just pull in the generic kernel. there is no virtual kernel, only a metapackage for backwards compat.

t..thanks ubuntu.
>>
>>67607930
wtf
>>
Can someone explain the difference between opensuse leap and tumbleweed to me and which one to use?
>>
>>67608107
one's a rolling release which means download once, upgrade forever.
use tumbleweed, there's really no reason not to considering they actually do more to verify you won't get fucked updates.
>>
>>67608136
I see. I got another issue using tumbleweed with kde; newly installed packages do not show up in the start menu. how is this fixed?
>>
>>67608215
l2SearchEngine
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/486204-Installed-software-does-not-show-in-menu
>>
>>67608250
>https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/486204-Installed-software-does-not-show-in-menu
so I have to add an entry every time I add a software?
>>
>>67608280
there's a few other options, and it depends what kind of software it is. Read more.
/fglt/ isn't for search engine questions like these.
>>
>>67603952
I switched from yaourt to yay like 6 months ago and haven't had any problems
>>
I've compiled an android kernel, i have 3 images, but all of them are not in .image format. I've tried using AnyKernel2 and AIK to pack the image but none of them are flashable and softbrick the phone,forcing a twrp backup of hte /boot partition.
How the fuck do you actually flash this kernel?
>>
?
>>67608358
Which kernel?
?
>>
>>67604457
try arch
>>
>>67604874
redpilled
>>
>>67608450
ElementaX,NSFW,flashkernel, none of them produce a usable image after compiling them.

I also cannot flash them from the devs package, all of them do not work and caused a bootloop
>>
File: 1534016923286.gif (931 KB, 301x240)
931 KB
931 KB GIF
Greetings anons, I'm trying to install ubuntu but I get [Errno 5] - input/output error when I pick my location for time zones. What do I do?
>>
Holy shit, fuck nvidia so hard.

Shortly after installing ubuntu there were so many problems - super slow boot, hanging on shutdown, sound not working. Lots of kernel modules failing to load entirely. Logs were full of hung kernel threads and soft lockups everywhere.

Nvidia driver removed and suddenly EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY what the fuck is nvidia doing to the poor kernel holy shit
>>
>>67608790
>nvidia_fuck_you.webm
Just realized I don't have this saved for some reason.
>>
>>67608790
>have non-free nvidia drivers
>everything just werks
sounds like it's a buntu shit problem.
>>
>>67608835
Not that anon but I bet it still doesn't all work.
I've always used NVidia proprietaries my entire GNU/Linux lifetime and I always thought the desktop was just choppy and moving windows around, resizing them, or just the desktop experience in general needed to be polished.

I recently installed the nouveau drivers and the desktop is like fucking butter now.
>>
>>67608790
one of the problems installing something like ubuntu is debugging that shit, it comes with so much pre-configured shit. sounds like systemd shit itself when you installed propriety drivers.
>>
File: nvidia_fuckyou.webm (722 KB, 1280x720)
722 KB
722 KB WEBM
>>67608790
>>67608817
>>67608835
>>67608887
>>
>>67608887
>I bet it still doesn't all work.
nah, i'm on xfce and things are fine. Nothing really feels choppy.
>>
Where is the firefox executable stored in KDE Neon? I can't find it in the file picker and I'm trying to find the executable for thunderbird.
>>
>>67608913
You've probably just gotten used to it like I did.
>>
>>67608935
which firefox
>>
>>67608887
Yeah, it wasn't obvious that it was nvidia's fault at first, everything was just kinda slow and shitty and things didn't quite work right. The graphics drivers themselves worked OK.

Seeing the logs though and seeing all the shit that was hanging and breaking, suddenly explained everything. Total shit show. At that point I was surprised that anything worked at all. And all that garbage went away when I took out the nvidia blob

>>67608913
Does xfce really make use of the gpu?
>>
>>67608970
To be fair though anon your experience does sound like it was particularly bad.
Normally it's not that broken, but it does effect some things. Probably the best example I remember is when using Firefox if you'd try to move tabs around or if you were to click-and-drag and image and then let it go, it would basically make firefox freeze a few seconds.
I always thought it was just Firefox being shit, but on nouveau drivers those features are super smooth and responsive.

Other examples are just little things like moving mpv around or moving other windows over top of it and resizing windows rapidly. It was like it all just had a lower refresh rate or something. But again, with the open source drivers all that stuff just seems to be so effortlessly fluid.
>>
>>67608950
it's saying /usr/bin/firefox but when I use the file-picker in thunderbird it's not showing up
>>
>>67609064
I'm 95% sure it's there. You probably just have it hidden somehow like the box in the bottom right corner that only shows specific filetypes, or you're not actually navigativing to /usr/bin properly or something.
If you can type "ls /usr/bin/firefox" and it doesn't say "file not found" then it's there. Keep trying.

Or maybe thunderbird just has some dumb restrictions like not allowing you to send an executable in an email or something. If that's the case then just make an archive
>tar cfvz firefox.tar.gz /usr/bin/firefox
and then upload that
>>
How the fucking pissfuck do I enable certain modes in emacs on startup?
I put it in the .emacs file, it tells me "no such file"
I put it in .emacs.d/init.el, nothing fucking happens
I have to M-x enable the mode every single fucking time for reasons I cannot seem to figure out
>>
>>67609064
works for me
>>
>>67603815
Gave up on that piece of shit grub2, installed rEFInd and now everything works fine
>>
gtx 670 free or non free drivers
>>
I just realized that constant "luminosity" is the perfect way to create a terminal theme that's easy on the eyes.
Playing around with quantities from "RGB" or "HSV" don't do the trick. The new GIMP 2.10 color picker can do luminosity values, older versions don't.
>>
>>67609101
Thanks. Yeah it's there but thunderbird file picker (or gtk file picker) that's not doing it
>>
File: out.webm (2.75 MB, 1280x720)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB WEBM
>>
>>67605764
Fedora is from the Microsoft of linux. It's not gonna die anytime son.
>>
>>67609385
no, but it will break on its next release
>>
Going to buy a external bluray player. Is there Linux recommended ones or is there things I should note before buying one?
>>
>>67602507
ArchLabs. Openbox comes as default WM.
>>
File: 1534299733319.jpg (246 KB, 750x1137)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
>>67608714
pls respond, am willing to go into further detail about situation if needed
>>
>>67609635
post some fuckin' screenshots then, because I don't remember the install blocking you if this happened
also remove any and all hosts files from your router
>>
File: errno5.jpg (643 KB, 3411x1423)
643 KB
643 KB JPG
>>67609656
I get this once the installation begins, it pops up while I'm picking location or setting up my username and computer name. I've tried with various settings.
>>
>>67609762
Are you installing from a CD drive then, or a USB stick? If it were me I'd just download the ISO again, verify the checksum, then install again.
Alternatively, is the hard drive you're installing too actually healthy ie it's not dying?
>>
was it dumb of me to go with the manjaro architect iso
>>
>>67609796
Yes. You should instead install OpenSUSE, and go back to being productive instead of wasting time with broken upgrades.
>>
>>67609791
USB Stick on a new Acer Aspire 5 I just bought. I'll try getting the ISO again, thanks anon
>>
>>67609762
This happened to me, after running md5sum I discovered the ISO was corrupted. Apparently it actually can happen. I always check hashes now
>>
Best talks or interviews re GNU/Linux?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUibaPTXSHk
>>
File: 1530891233155.jpg (172 KB, 850x1204)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>67610009
this david parkman guy is cute. he looks a bit like gyllenhaal, especially his profile.
>>
>>67609821
Alright lads, the problem has been fixed, thanks for the help anons
>>
>>67605734
Yes, it does.
https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver
>>
>>67610009
every (((stallman))) interviews are top cringe material
>>
File: 1536647793846.jpg (52 KB, 800x668)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>Mint Cinnamon 3.9
>GTX 660
>Force composition pipeline
>Nvidia Drivers
>screen tearing every day all day
>crashes after boot with nouveau
>change DE to I3 with Compton
>still tearing
>have to use MPV to avoid screen tearing
>it doesnt tear it drops frames and hangs
>in anime
>60 fps is a nope
>firefox screen tearing while scrolling 4chan
>it hurts my eyes to look at
>other fglt users report linux exclusive eye pain
>first three weeks of my life in linux
>try to ignore it
>boot up windows 10
>mpc-hc is beautiful and not full of tears
>open newpipe on samsung phone
>watch youtube on phone because no tears
>back to workstation
>fuck my eyes
how do you even? is this a larp? does anyone actually use this without constant tearing?
>>
>>67610194
the problem with stallman interviews/ talks is he's unwavering. If you've seen one talk or interview, you've seen them all because he barely deviates.
>>
>>67610201
Gnome is currently the only wayland + nvidia friendly DE because they have EGL streams support. I hear Plasma and Budgie are experimenting with them as well though.
to fix screen tearing with nvidia you need to open nvidia-settings and enable "force full composition pipeline" under "Advanced". Make sure to do it for all your monitors.
>>
>>67610201
>>67610245
also the obvious, you're gonna want to use the non-free drivers, nouveau is ass, regardless if you game or not.
>>
Hi frends.
I'm using debian stretch (thunar+xfce) and I have a weird problem. When I'm in a folder with a bunch of images and I right click one image (to change the name or open with gimp) the program "opens" another image from the same folder.
I installed with noatime if that can give a clue, I'm very new to linux.
Should I change thunar or just gitgud with the terminal?
>>
Where can I get the key for the Trisquel repos?
I tried https://packages.trisquel.info/trisquel/trisquel-archive-signkey.gpg but it says no data found.
>>
>>67610108
>said a fag
>>
>>67610009
The Copyright vs. Community talk is pretty redpilling.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=eginMQBWII4
>>
File: IMG_20180914_140303_311.jpg (302 KB, 1440x1440)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
Hey, I'm at a loss and have no idea how to fix this. I recently did a minimal install of debian sid and immediately after installing proprietary drivers my computer refuses to connect to the internet. Is there any known issues surrounding this?
>>
>>67611422
you probably restarted and didn't do any symlinks yet.
ip a
dhcpcd e****
whatever your ethernet device is.
>>
>>67611450
not gonna do that
>>
>>67611509
ip a lists all your networking devices
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/dhcpcd
this isn't 2006, i have no interest in trying to get you to fuck up your computer.
>>
File: 1.jpg (8 KB, 201x251)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
comrades, in this world of greedy "open sores" corporate shills and consumerist sheeple overshadowing our freedoms, I suggest we work on HURD and get it to a point where it can be considered a viable alternative to loonix and symbolically mark the completion of the GNU free operating system

we need to kick away this corporate-lover loonix shit that undermines freedom made possible by the efforts of the GNU project. who's with me?
>>
>>67611520
Reply wasn't me, just some anon being a fag. Although it didn't work. Looking at dmseg I think it might be an issue with IPv6.
>>
>>67611622
well make sure you have the right device.
But you should really install a DE or Network manager to do this shit for you.
>>
>>67611618
You just sit down and wait til the linux foundation sells out completely. It's already goining down the drain with blob "gifts", microsoft employees in the linux foundation staff and "proprietary isn't that bad" talks at linux cons.
Sit back and watch, once it gets worse enough, people will fork Linux. I doubt that Hurd will be a thing. Since Linux became a thing it has been nothing but a hobby project.
>>
>>67611708
I don't care about linux, it's trash that set general operating system design back by 20 years, not to mention all the non-free bullshit and open sores morons it has surrounding it.

fuck it completely. GNU needs to be free from this, at least in principle
>>
i love this thread
>>
>>67611790
I love you too.
>>
>>67611618
>>67611742
Use and contribute to Dragonfly BSD.
>>
>>67611708
>"proprietary isn't that bad" talks at linux cons.
I knew it was bad but didn't think it was this bad.
>>
anyone set up wireguard?
tried a number of things so far, but every time i bring up the wireguard interface, i can't reach my vps via it's regular interface at all
all the tutorials basically say the same thing, "do <thing i did> and it werks", what could i be fucking up?
>>
>>67611835
>bsd
nah, GNU+BSD projects have been proven to be a meme (kFreeBSD). it's either HURD or something new that is neither loonix nor BSD
>>
File: Freedo.png (136 KB, 626x612)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
>>67611708
Meanwhile on GuixSD
I'm fucking using Linux-Libre and don't even notice a single difference between it and normal Linux, except that I'm using Nouveau drivers instead of NVidia proprietaries.
I'm going to build a new PC soon and will definitely being AMD, then it won't make a single difference.

Who needs blobs?
>>
>>67611864
I don't care about gahnew. BSD is the future.
>>
>>67611876
Redpilled and based.

That said, sadly you often need a wifi adapter.
>>
How do I actually disable bluetooth on startup?
I've tried like 3 different things that've popped up in google results and none of them work. Last one I tried was adding:
DEVICES_TO_DISABLE_ON_STARTUP="bluetooth"
to /etc/defaults/tlp

Why the fuck is none of this working? fucking bluetooth is 'on' every time I boot, it's fucking infuriating
>>
>>67611884
BSD is botnet contribution.
>>
>>67611948
[citation needed]
>>
>>67611884
then why the fuck did you (You) me faggot

GNU is about FREEDOM, you can take your "future" and shove it up your ass
>>
>>67611957
>guknew is the only group who can make free software
alright lad
>>
>>67611955
See, BSD will always be free, but since the license used doesn't require to pass the freedoms you got, it will also be a free contribution to companies which will take parts of BSD and turn it into malware.
>>
>>67611968
anyone can make free software, that is the whole point of it. but to truly preserve freedom and keep our software from being cucked by companies we need strong copyleft and DRM protection, a la GPL v3.

taking DragonflyBSD code and then copylefting it would be insulting towards the DragonflyBSD community. not copylefting would just defeat the whole point
>>
>>67612003
>>67612005
>thinking a "license" will stop companies from using GPL3 code in their closed-source software
wew lad
>>
>>67612014
"being cucked by companies" refers to the collaboration of linux with non-free proprietary software vendors by inserting blobs, associating with them and everything else.

if companies use GPL code in internally use proprietary software nobody cares. if they use it in a publicly available software they will be sued and forced to make their code free (Tivo, Transcend, Xiaomi). the GPL is the only license to have stood up in court multiple times and it will stand up again if needed. freedom will not lose
>>
>>67612060
then fork DBSD and make it GPL.
God knows Hurd is never going to happen. Might as well use something that actually works.
>>
>>67612084
> fork DBSD and make it GPL.
>>67612005
>taking DragonflyBSD code and then copylefting it would be insulting towards the DragonflyBSD community. not copylefting would just defeat the whole point
>>
>>67612005
>>67612101
who the fuck cares about respect, I thought free software was the only thing that mattered?
>>
File: 1533327220218.gif (70 KB, 467x398)
70 KB
70 KB GIF
>he doesn't use the good old more program to display file content
>he abuses cat instead instead of using it to con*cat*enate files
>>
Linux could be CIA and nobody would ever know
>>
>>67612113
what features does Dragonfly have that it should preferred over a more mature codebase like FreeBSD
>>
>>67612272
made with performance in mind.
Doesn't have a lefty infestation fucking up priorities.
HAMMER
>>
>>67612301
i thought bsds were libertarian and gnutards were the leftists?
>>
>>67612319
were you under a rock for the whole freeBSD fiasco?
>>
File: Harry.gif (23 KB, 227x343)
23 KB
23 KB GIF
Aren't you forgetting about someone?
>>
>>67612334
what fiasco? also i'm not the guy you were talking to, i'm the linux mint new user from last thread
>>
>>67612301
I'll look into it.
>>
>>67611859
well, the tutorial on;
https://www.ckn.io/blog/2017/11/14/wireguard-vpn-typical-setup/
did the trick
also, when they said "wireguard isn't a chatty protocol", they really weren't kidding, here i was trying all kinds of shit wondering why my peer wasn't showing up with an endpoint on the server, and it turns out it communicates absolutely nothing until you actually try to send some data between peers, /then/ it connects
>>
>>67612365
>new non-devs join BSD
>they change the CoC to a template from some shitty "geek feminist" site
>include a silly and specific clause about *actions* towards other people being harassment
>a number of devs dropped out and relinquished their repo maintainership.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/21/freebsd_code_of_conduct_controversy/
>>67612398
it still gets BTFO by Linux in various things, but it's getting there.
>>
>>67612364
>so secure it neglects everything that is not security related
not sure if based or autistic
>>
>>67612408
was that for offline events or everything in general?
>>
>>67612570
i would assume everything
https://www.freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
>>
>>67612588
lmao what a joke, no wonder people don't take these idiots seriously
>>
I'm so unbelievably frustrated trying to get rtorrent-ps + pyrocore set up with systemd. The developer in ##rtorrent on freenode has been a patronizing asshole for 3 days not answering my questions and I don't think I'll ever get anything out of him. This is the systemd unit file I am using:

https://ptpb.pw/xPdd

but whenever i start it and attach to the tmux session it creates, it has the error:

/usr/bin/env: ‘bash’: No such file or directory

what the fuck is wrong with the unit file??
>>
>>67604079
Back when I had a dualboot, win10 fucked my EFI partition and bootorder raw on every single update. Didnt touch anything else though.
Daily reminder that having windows on your system is promoting rape of innocent PCs. And no, they didnt ask for it.
>>
>>67612681
Assuming you have a /usr/bin/env then an error saying it doesn't exist usually means there is a mismatch between 32 or 64-bit.
>>
Has anyone else experienced their installation just crapping out from seemingly nowhere? I installed Xubuntu 3-4 months ago alongside my windows partition and had no problems until tonight. It started when the DM would no longer let me advance to my desktop, it would just start loading and bring me back to enter my password again. I rebooted it to see if it would do anything but now I can no longer get into my Xubuntu partition at all, shits completely fucked now and wont boot. What do I install now?
>>
>>67602066
how i can launch windows telemetry diagnostic tool ?
is there even such thing ?
i wanted to know what windows is sending
i am on LTSB
>>
>>67612975
>>>/g/sqt
>>
>>67612988
oh shit wrong tabsorry guys :D
>>
File: ree.png (81 KB, 556x430)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
can someone help me making a wangblows usb?
woeusb shits the bed with
Applying workaround to prevent 64-bit systems with big primary memory from being unresponsive during copying files.
/usr/bin/woeusb: line 1348: false: variable undefined
Resetting workaround to prevent 64-bit systems with big primary memory from being unresponsive during copying files.
>>
>>67611876
AMD GPUs still need blobs though.
>>
>>67611837
somebody doing a talk on something at a con is hardly 'everyone thinks this way now' good chance the audience just thought to themselves 'good talk but we disagree' and left.
>>
File: 1.jpg (9 KB, 271x186)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>67613483
1. install virtualbox
2. make a wangblows VM
3. connect and share your flash drive (and your partition with the wangblows ISO on it) with the wangblows VM
4. boot into the wangblows VM
5. use the wangblows vm to make your wangblows bootable
>>
>>67613610
it's the open sores crowd you're talking about, they'll jizz themselves if they see a chance to make money even by proprietary software
>>
Alright, I've had enough of this bullshit I'm going back to windows 8.1. Linux is a fucking joke.
>>
>>67605155
Console access?
>>
>>67613747
OK m8
>>
>>67613483
https://etcher.io/

Or use dd
>>
There is literally no reason to use any DE that isn't KDE or XFCE, prove me wrong
>>
what docker widget or app similar to plank does /g/ use?
what could you recommend for kde?
>>
>>67602119
Manjaro is basically Arch. Use the Arch Wiki and be more specific than "some error about memory".
Also consider using the Nvidia driver.
>>67602558
You have my sympathy. I wouldn't expect the fact that you're running on AWS to be the cause of any issues. Did you see the warning that it couldn't create the docs directory? Check permissions and follow the guide https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/tomcat.html.en
>>67603371
Good job, anon!
>>67603705
>gooby pls
Only 30 year old boomers will understand this meme
>>67604874
FRIENDLY gnu/linux thread
>>67604457
Do you have a reason not to use *buntu? Arch has better documentation in my experience but both are capable enough.
>>67604765
>no route to host
What IP shows up when you try to ping a valid domain name (e.g. google.com)? That error means that your computer got an IP address for the name but didn't have an appropriate gateway (usually your router) to send the ping to. Can you give us the output of running "route" in a console?
>>67605764
Fedora is the "unstable"/development version of Red Hat, which is very commonly used for servers in large orgs. You'll do well to learn your way around it if you have or want a career in IT.
>>67606071
Partitioning is very easy and reliable. There's no sense in buying a new drive for every OS you want to have the option of booting into unless you're allergic to money.
>>67607067
How would you have done it?
>>
File: abortion attempts.png (179 KB, 500x756)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
>>67613667
>>67613887
tried both dd and etcher, can't boot from either one
pic related
>>
>>67614261
>imagine growing up and finding this picture about your mother
>>
Whenever i restart my computer, the pulsraudio/pamixer controls dont work. Sound is OK. I have to kill pulseaudio and restart the deamon, then it works. What fuckery is this?

Arch btw
>>
File: N0QRBky.png (3 KB, 129x40)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
how do I fix this shit?
>>
>>67614679
uninstall skype
>>
>>67614758
XD owned
>>
>>67614775
what did you expect? wheres too little details to solve your icon problem.
at least tell what de, statusbar or w/e you are using.
>>
File: 1508047107670.png (52 KB, 406x493)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
hello frens
thanks for telling me to use fedora
screen tearing gone now finally forever
>>
File: 1536952820514.jpg (3.73 MB, 4011x2100)
3.73 MB
3.73 MB JPG
Is a firewall necessary for Debian if I only use this device over a modem?
>>
>>67614839
it's only really necessary when you have the device directly connected to a modem
>>
>>67613483
format usb
create ntfs partition and set the bootable flag
copy the contents of windows iso to the newly created partition
run
ms-sys -7 /dev/sdx
>>
>>67614881
I'm sorry for being such a retard, I meant router.
>>
File: En4n083.jpg (173 KB, 3840x2160)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>67614820
Why not try Debian?
>>
>>67614912
if you're using a NAT router and your machine is not in the DMZ, /then/ it doesn't need a firewall, as your NAT won't forward incoming packets to your machine unless specifically configured to do so
technically speaking you can get away with no firewall if you have complete control over what software is listening on your interfaces (such as being the only user), even if the machine is hooked up to a modem with no router/nat/external firewall
>>
>>67614925
I did, but I still had screen tearing on there and my Radeon GPU wouldn't be found
>>
>>67614785
ubuntu 18.04 gnome, default stuff
>>
>>67614938
I have an Archer C7, not in the DMZ, so I should be alright without, even the Debian wiki says it's not really required.
>>
>>67615009
you'll want one when one of these is true;
- running a system with untrusted users
- running untrusted software which isn't otherwised sandboxed
- needing to impose restrictions/transformations on network traffic in fancier ways than just allowing/disallowing software network access outright
quite often on personal computers, a firewall is like putting a lock on your kitchen door, it's not necessary
>>
>>67615092
(by kitchen door i mean any 'internal' door, immediately after posting i realised some houses have doors that lead from the outside directly into a kitchen)
>>
>>67615092
Yeah then it's completely unnecessary for me.
>>
>>67615131
possibly, assuming you're aware of what software is listening on an internet-exposed interface
some software might default to listening on 0.0.0.0 which you may not want internet-facing. if any of this is news to you, you should probably be using a firewall
>>
I have an Arch drive, a Windows drive and a large hdd for what I want to be shared storage. The issue is I have to "sudo mount /mnt" the drive on Arch and open a file manager as root, copy the file then change its permissions. How do I mount this drive and make it useable by the user and other programs like torrent managers?
>>
i broke my computer trying to install manjaro. only thing left is formattimg my hdd but that is not an option. what do
>>
>>67615338
when you first make a volume, the root directory is owned by root, change it's owner and/or allow 'other' to write to it
>>
>>67614888 (heil'd)
>do everything like you said
>reboot
>disk isn't bootable hurr how huge faggot I am
>>
How do I make a live usb on calculate linux?
>>
>>67615472
yes
>>
>>67616222
pv < image.iso > /dev/sdz
>>
>>67616254
isnt thete a way to install etcher using the appimage provided on their site?
>>
>>67616447
>etcher
why would oyu use this piece of electron garbage instead of dd, pv or (for windows isos) woeusb?
>>
>>67616688
dd worked fine for me
>>
how do i find out the physical sector and erase block sizes of an ssd?
>>
New thread:

>>67616892
>>67616892
>>67616892

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.