[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1541647644675.gif (614 KB, 400x355)
614 KB
614 KB GIF
Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/825628

Previous thread: >>68380683
>>
install CRUX
>>
Does Wayland work with Nvidia cards? Are there any other alternatives for xorg?

I need it for running i3
>>
>>68403741
No
No
You dont need wayland for i3
>>
>>68403741
>Does Wayland work with Nvidia cards?
You're asking the wrong question. It's "Does Nvidia work with current wayland compositors?", and the answer is no.
Throw that piece of shit out and buy AMD.
>>
>>68403809
>Laptop
I have no other option.
>>
>>68403809
>thinking a multi billion dollar company has to depend on some old dude on the internet
Nope.
>>
Are there any comic readers out there with library functions aside mcomix? For some reason it gets stuck scanning through a decently sized folder. I managed to find out which file it was, but it can open it fine. It eventually finds a new one, so it's very difficult going through each and every one of them.
>>
>>68403693
Because the hostname contained personal information.
>>
how do you feel about tree
I think it's a really nice program.
Did you know it can print the tree in XML or JSON format? It's true!
Maybe tree isn't the most powerful or most useful utility, but I think it's nice.
>>
How can I use libstrangle to limit the framerate of a game I start with Lutris?
>>
What are some essential or recommended stats/specs programs that can be run through Terminal? I've got Neofetch and Htop, for example.
>>
So I was trying to find a way to change directory from within PlayOnLinux since some programs (e.g. installers on mounted DVDs) require you to cd into a specific directory in order for them to work, and I discovered that you can actually use PlayOnLinux's Wine prefixes through your native version of Wine like so:
WINEPREFIX=[path_to_playonlinux's_prefix_here] wine program.exe

To my amazement, it seems to work just fine even though my system version of Wine is considerably older than the one used by PlayOnLinux to create the prefix, but I'm just wondering if there are any hidden problems associated with doing this or if there's some 'proper' way of doing this from within PlayOnLinux itself.
>>
are there linux guis that don't look like fossils from early 00s?
>>
>>68404968
yes
>>
>>68404628
I like it.
>>
>>68404821
https://github.com/smxi/inxi
>>68404968
Linux is a kernel.
>>
File: 1540924790559.png (21 KB, 700x700)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>68405091
>Linux is a kernel.
>>
>>68405120
Never has there been a more perfect use for that reaction image.
>>
>>68405120
Linux is a kernel, though. This isn't some windows garbage where GUI and font rendering is in kernel space.
>>
>>68405091
Haha, I like the "APPLE CORPORATION OSX" part of that readme.
>>
>>68405134
Your quest to control how other people speak is fundamentally stupid.
>>
>>68405170
no u
>>
File: folder.jpg (259 KB, 1400x1400)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
>>68403722
I been using using ubuntu on my shitpad for a month and decided to install it on my gayman pc.

Everything was going fine, I installed some programs using the repository and the snap packages but now when I try to open a file, it'll launch the colibri browser instead, ignoring the default application.

Wat do? how do I even troubleshoot what went wrong?
>>
>>68405032
which ones
>>
>>68405359
snaps were a mistake.
>>
Is there some easy way to achieve this on ubuntu?
I have a network folder mounted, which i can access as a regular folder, and every say 12 hours i want to mirror all files in that folder into a selected folder on my pc, as a simple backup basically
If the network folder is not mounted or internet is not working then it simply fails silently until next time
>>
>>68405735
do a bash script
check if the folder is mounted
if not mount it
then do rsync from mounted to local folder

if the folder at the moment isn't mountable (network troubles) make an endless loop with all the abouve + sleep in it
>>
>>68405735
Set up a cron job or systemd timer. Get it to call rsync.
>>
So stupid question, potentially.
I'm setting up primus_vk (https://github.com/felixdoerre/primus_vk), I successfully compiled the two .so files on Arch, but I'm not sure what the best place to put them is. I assume I have a bit of freedom because I need to tell primus_vk.json where the file is, but I know that my home dir download folder isn't the right place for a .so file
>>
>>68405793
/usr/local/lib is a nice place to hide it
>>
in pcmanfm, images open by default with feh, but I would like them to open with sxiv.
I right click, Open With, and enter /usr/bin/sxiv in the Custom Command Line, and check the box "Set selected application as default action for this file type"
It opens in sxiv, but opening the image again opens it with feh.
>>
what the fug?

I have two computers
Computer A
----/home/poop
----/home/pee/test

Computer B
--- /home/poop/test

On computer A i create a symlink
ln -s /home/pee/test /home/poop/test

Now on the computer B i mount computer A's directory /home/poop with sshfs somewhere

Now when i go to this newly mounter directory, and click the symlink i created, then instead of being redirected to /home/pee/test on Computer A i get redirected to /home/pee/test on computer B

To put it simply, the symlink redirects me to a directory on the local computer, instead to the directory on the remote computer
So if that doesn't work, then how the fuck am i supposed to create a symlink to make sure it works directly when the directory is mounted with sshfs?
>>
>>68405963
You can use xdg-settings and xdg-open to set the default program for a file and open a file with its default program, respectively. You'd ought to be able to figure out whether the problem that you're having with your file browser is related to the way it sets defaults or the way it opens files. That might steer you towards a solution.
>>
>>68405974
A symlink is literally just a file containing a string, which will be followed when you try to access the file. There is no fancy magic allowing you to escape from mount points; it's working as indented.
You could use a hard link instead, if that's possible/reasonable.
>>
>>68406113
You can't hardlink directories, the penguin won't let you
>>
>>68406085
>You can use xdg-settings and xdg-open to set the default program for a file and open a file with its default program, respectively
Feel like holding my hand through that?
Looking at xdg-settings --help has me scratching my head
>>
>>68406166
ok so xdg-open ~/blah/ok.png opens in sxiv, however pcmanfm still prefers feh
>>
>>68405963
This is why I don't use GUI apps with the Linux desktop. There are dozens of XDG mime app implementations, and none of them work.
>>
So Im learning my way to vim
I like it so far, im doing vimtutor everyday, and I installed Vim Vixen for firefox, so far so good.
But the only thing i struggle with is workflow with multiple files in different directories.
Im doing frontend dev and ive used VScode before vim, so i was really used to
>1) always see the file tree
>2) quicky change open file tabs
Now, i read that having as few plugins as possible is the best route to go, to not be depended on 3rd party stuff and maximalize vim potential.
So how do I make this workflow work?
>>
>>68406138
Create a bind mount then.
>>
>>68406237
Im no expert but i think you need plugins dawg
>>
>>68406237
What I did, was essentially give up on that aspect of vim. It's just too clunky.
I use i3wm and I suggest you do as well!
So it's trivially easy to open a few windows, vertically tile a column or whatever kind of layout I want. Then I have vim open in each separately as needed. I just let vim be an editor for a single file, and I let my window manager manage windows.
My setup could be slightly better with condensing the steps of winkey-enter to open a terminal and typing "vim ..." but it's so minor I haven't gotten around to it.
>>
>>68406179
You should be able to do this:
$ grep png ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
image/png=sxiv.desktop;

If that's what you see when you do that, then I think you've encountered a bug in pcmanfm. You can try using a different version or switch to a different file manager altogether.
>>
>>68406279
man, seriously, ive installed debian netinstall with i3 just yesterday after years with ubuntu. this comes handy
>>
>>68406237
You shouldn't completely avoid plugins though, there are a few really great ones. Lightline for instance.
>>
>>68406237
>>68406279
This is how I do it aswell. Or you can use something like oni instead if you want something more modern
>>
>>68406301
i3 is so fantastic, before trying it I never would have seen the appeal of a tiling WM. Now I can't imagine not using it.
A long time ago I tried a few other ones, but I think even then I liked i3 the best. When I briefly got into haskell, it was cool messing with xmonad. But i3 is just so perfect for my needs that I can't imagine what else a WM could offer me.
>>
>>68406324
Hey thanks, Oni looks pretty nice, hadn't heard of it.
I've always felt a little bad that VS Code is really the best IDE, when things get big enough that I want more than vim.
>>
>>68406166
I gave you bad advice. It's "xdg-mime" that you use for file types. "xdg-settings" is what you would use to set the default application for a URL type.

xdg-mime is basically just a tool for manipulations your mimetypes.list file. A file manager should use the program indicated there as the default, and fall back on the system-wide setting in /usr. It may not need to be pointed out that stopping your file manager and starting it again is worth a try. It may be the case that your file manager loads those defaults when it starts and keeps them in memory. I would call that a bug since you won't always get the expected behavior when you change your defaults, but if that's what it's doing then it's a bug with an easy workaround.
>>
File: i3-patched.png (2 KB, 520x269)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>68406329
There are still some things that seriously irk me about i3 though. They're little things, but that also means they should be easy fixes too, and the fact that there is nothing baffles me sometimes. I hate to say this, but it really does give me the feeling sometimes that I'm the only fucking person actually using i3 actively, which I know isn't true but I just don't get it.

Mostly my problems with i3 are how certain container modes are displayed.
For example a container in either tabbed or stacked mode with only 1 window in it is 100% indistinguishable from a single window. Meaning that there are cases where it is literally impossible to predict where a new window will go when opened.
It bothered me so much I actually patched and compiled i3 myself to fix this (pic related, left is a stacked container, right is tabbed)

Another thing that annoys me which I haven't found a way to fix yet is nested containers. It's easy to create deeply nested containers that only contain a single window and since i3 collapses it you can't tell the difference. This means if you're trying to select what you THINK is the parent container you may have to hit the hotkey several times.
It seriously triggers my autism at the mere thought of having nested containers without being aware of it.

I do still like i3 though, I just don't understand why these simple observations which should effect the day-to-day life of any i3 user as far as I can tell seems to not annoy anyone but me. And fixing them absolutely should not increase the codebase or difficulty of maintaining i3 at all, so I can see no excuse for why anyone would be ok with not knowing exactly what state any window or container is in by looking at it. I hope they fix these things in the future, because then i3 would be perfect in my book.
/rant
>>
>>68406729
Oh, a couple more issues I just remembered:
1) You cannot trivially move a window outside of a container. You HAVE to use the arrow keys to do it and it doesn't even work as you'd expect in all cases.
Sometimes if 2 windows are side by side within a container at some ratio other than 50% width for each and you move one window outside the container they don't retain their widths. They don't even go back to 50% either, they get some arbitrary width in between and it makes no fucking sense.
2) It's _impossible_ in any way to move one container to the other side of another container without one of them having to enter the other first. This is annoying as fuck if you want to preserve their relative widths because when it comes out the other side both containers just default to 50%.

Such little things that can be quite annoying. It wouldn't be half as frustrating if I could at least see the devs or other i3 users acknowledging that these problems exist, but it seems nobody does. It's like i3 is just perfect and it's going to stagnate exactly where it is.
Maybe some fork will be better.
>>
>>68405974
sshfs has an option to follow symlinks
>>
File: 1541675042.png (312 KB, 1919x1019)
312 KB
312 KB PNG
>>68406729
>>68406779
I have never really been bothered by any of these things. I am almost never doing anything terribly complicated with the windows though, it's rare I even go into tab-mode, the only time is when I have a workspace of two columns devoted to texts and some kind of workspace. The texts are tabbed and vim/whatever is the other column, possibly vertically split. That's really as complicated as I ever get, for the most part.

It seems like these have bothered you enough to come up with a patch, why not submit a PR? I like the colors/font in your pic btw. I have stuck with the stock tiny borders and blue and sometimes I wouldn't mind having a bit of border for resizing but it's so easy to keyboard resize that it doesn't really bother me.
What's the font?
>>
quantum is on debian testing fucking finally. didn't fix a problem I thought it would fix though unfortunately.
>>
in openbox
autostart
file, there are some commented lines, comments in the file stating that these can be used when paired with gnome and xfce setting tools
does that mean openbox can integrate inside gnome/xfce or it just start their service?
>>
how can I have different settings for external mouse, touchpad and trackpoint under KDE? or, how can I make KDE not coinfgure any pointing devices so that I can config them using config files only?
also, when using config files for X, is logging out and logging back in the only way to apply the changes? must be a quicker way
using latest neon
>>
>>68407301
cant you just restart X?
>>
>>68407411
that's pretty much the same thing man, takes about as long which is the main issue
>>
File: exb4l9poitquiwxwnytx.jpg (226 KB, 1280x720)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
So just for the hell of it, I want to make a very retro-looking OS. Something that would make any Mac user cry tears of blood. At the same time, I want it to be fully usable on a modern machine.
How should I approach this? Is there any particular distro I should be aware of?
>>
File: 1539270713755.jpg (190 KB, 1036x919)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>68403809
>buy AMD
>>
>>68407513
plan9
>>
Unix is a lot more complicated of course -- the typical Unix hacker never
can remember what the PRINT command is called this week -- but when it
gets right down to it, Unix is a glorified video game. People don't do
Serious Work on Unix systems: they send jokes around the world on UUCP-net
and write adventure games and research papers.
>>
>>68407513
Make something with XFCE
>>
For me, it's zsh.
>>
I'm using centOS
""The stream or file "/home/admin/domains/linkshift.eu/public_html/storage/logs/laravel-2018-11-08.log" could not be opened: failed to open stream: Permission denied"
When I give permission 777 to the folder the site works, when I give it 775 I get this error, I tried chmod and etc
Could anyone please help me? I'm retarded
>>
>>68407862
>centos
hahahahahah
>>
>>68407862
>When I give permission 777 to the folder the site works, when I give it 775 I get this error,
with 775, 'other' doesn't have write permission, whatever it trying to write to it is not running as the file owner, or is part of the files' group
>>
>>68407917
how do I make it the file owner? I tried
sudo chgrp -R apache laravel
it granted it the ownership, but still same error
>>
>>68407929
sudo chmod -R 777 /
>>
>>68407862
What do you need centos for that debian cant do?
>>
>>68407946
I am retarded, but not that retarded
>>68407952
It is not my choice, I am a wageslave who is commanded by his job
>>
is there an lxappearance equivalent for qt?
>>
>>68407929
sudo chown -R user:group folder/file ?
>>
>>68408077
qt5ct
>>
>>68408133
still same error I did
sudo chown -R apache:apache public_html
>>
>>68408164
It should be www-data instead of apache i think
>>
>>68408164
Give us ssh access bro we'll fix it for you.
>>
>>68408186
I have been browsing this site for almost 10 years now, Do you think I am retarded enough to do that?
>>68408171
there is no www-data in centOS
>>
>>68408160
Changed theme,pallet and no qt programs changed theme
>>
File: Systemd_anigif.gif (772 KB, 200x133)
772 KB
772 KB GIF
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

Look at this cancer, fuck systemd
>>
>>68408520
what's the problem exactly?
>>
>>68408387
works on my machine, you need to append
export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct 
to your bashrc too
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Qt#Configuration_of_Qt5_apps_under_environments_other_than_KDE_Plasma
>>
>>68408585
>
export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct 

I did that
>>
>>68408577
Went from easy naming conventions like Eth0 Wlan0 to retarded shit like enp0s1
>>
>>68408632
You are retarded.
>>
I have a custom initramfs that unlocks my encrypted block devices,
mounts root and pivots to the real root file system.
This has worked fine for years.

Now I'm forced to switch to systemd because I have to use Debian for my use case, and Devuan doesn't cover everything I need.

Systemd doesn't see any of the block devies in /dev/mapper/ though, that were created by my initramfs. Either systemd or one of Debian's services seem to overwrite /dev/mapper/.

What do?

I hate debugging boot issues.
>>
I'm thinking about distrohopping again. I tried Debian, I tried Ubuntu, which one should I try next?
>>
>>68408970
plan9
>>
>>68408632
This

>>68408659
no u
>>
>>68407600
Literally this. Just combine a bunch of retro themes and tweak them.
>>
>>68408247
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Audit_framework

Use the powers of systemd to see which user/group is actually attempting to write the file.
>>
>>68408970
Devuan
>>
I'm ricing i3 and need ideas. Show me your desktops/configs so I can steal them!
>>
I've set global cflags but certain programs are not following them.Anything using python or cmake fails to pull in the cflags. Is there other flags specific to cmake and python that i need to globally set for it to pull them in? Or is it a per program setting?
>>
Woke up this morning and my desktop went to shit.

It doesn’t recognize any storage drivers other than my USB drive.

It keeps saying softreset failed (device not ready) and won’t recognize my SSD.

I tried inserting my laptops HDD and it just says softreset failed (1st FIS failed) then continues doing the same thing. I’ve tried different SATA cables and ports.

I have the latest bios version.

Fuck me
>>
>>68409212
By the way it woke up from sleep. But everything was read only. I couldn’t even run shutdown command.
>>
Is there something a bit similar to xrandr to control color saturation?
>>
>>68409695
xgamma maybe?
>>
>sign in on YouTube with chromium
>it signs on the entire browser
>>
>>68409977
New "feature" in the latest chromium.
Check the ungoogled-chromium github for the patches to revert it
>>
I have a Ryzen desktop and an intel i5 laptop. If I install Manjaro on an external HDD can I run it from both?
>>
>>68410001
I mean, it can be disabled in their settings, but at that point it could be a cosmetic change, not giving a fuck about what I want.
>>
>>68409740
nope it only changes gamma correction, thanks though
>>
>>68410012
I had a 3570k with Debian and didn't wipe it clean after installing a 1700. It worked, but your results might vary.
>>
>>68409212
Back. Went and got a USB hard drive and using that for now. I know it can’t be the drives gone bad but I will try them when I can on another machine. Tried different SATA cables and 4 pins. It’s not the power supply because I could hear the HDD spinning and clicking. It has to be the motherboards SATA chip. 2 devices not working and I know my old laptop HDD works I just don’t feel like tearing my laptop apart to put it back in to test it. Guess this is what I deserve for buying a $50 MSI motherboard.
>>
File: hazooki.png (34 KB, 280x300)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>68403722
anyone know what this is? https://endlessos.com/
it comes preinstalled with some low-end asus laptops.
>>
>>68410808
Same as Linpus Linux and the rest of shit preinstalled by your average chinese vendor. It's full of malware, adware, spyware, nagware and crapware. Delete eet.
>>
>>68410870
yeah. i expected as much. well, at least i know that i won't have any problems with debian as it's debian based.
>>
Not exactly linux related but is there a GitHub alternative where I can have free private repositories? I wan't something where I can store my dot files and an install script so when I install new devices, I can just git clone to get my install script and dot files.
>>
>>68411069
gitlab
>>
Is it possible for your OS (Linux/Windows) to turn off settings in your BIOS?

I've been having lag problems with virtualbox lately and I just noticed that virtualization is turned off in the bios.
>>
>>68411166
Pamac keeps saying it's waiting for another package manager to close. There is nothing else running.
>>
File: desktop.png (568 KB, 1366x768)
568 KB
568 KB PNG
I don't like the direction ubuntu is going because GNOME is so bulky and upsetting to use. I switched to lubuntu and it's almost too lightweight, plus the basic tools they give you suck, such as ark and pcmanfm. What's a good distro I can finally feel comfortable in? I don't want to use GNOME, LXQT, or OPENBOX WM.
>>
>>68411289
>pcmanfm
>suck
Get the fuck out of here newfag
>>
>>68411289
yo udon't like openbox ?
>>
>>68411166
Since tools like Ryzen master can alter your CPU voltage and freqa there obviously is some way.
Maybe there's some API exposed to the software by AMD CPU or whatever, I am not a low level guy but provided such tools exist I would not assume it to be impossible
>>
KDE or XFCE?
>>
>>68411289
pcmanfm is great, what's your issue with it?
>almost too lightweight
so rice it up if you want, I find it's easier to add bullshit than try and strip it away
after years of arch and slackware long before that I'm very happy with xubuntu with i3.
>>
>>68406729
I keep on hearing about this i3 stuff. Couldn't they have named it something else? And what's so great about it that people change there whole setup to get it to work? Isn't it just some windows snap type function...
>>
>>68411439
i3wm. It's a tiling window manager, so if you open a program on a blank workspace, it'll be fullscreen. If you open another, both programs will now take up half the screen. And of course you can adjust things and blahblah. But there is no overlapping, and you soon realize that floating windows were a mistake.
You should give it a try. I don't recall if the help file automatically opens when you start, so just keep in mind win-enter will open a terminal.
>>
>>68411467
Hey, might be really cool then. Is it only on certain distros? Could it work on kde? I've got Kubuntu install atm. I can see how it'd be useful... can you still maximize windows if need be or is it set to the template?
>>
>>68411498
Just install i3wm, logout, and on the login screen somewhere there should be a thing where you can choose your WM or DE or whatever.

It's not only on certain distros, I'm sure you could install it on any linux distro. All the ubuntus are essentially the same, or like basically all cousins of debian, or something like that. You can turn kubuntu into xubuntu by just installing and uninstalling a few things, basically.

I never really bothered understanding the difference between window managers and desktop environments, but I believe that i3 would replace the functionality of kde.
It definitely takes a bit of getting used to, coming from a life-long familiarity with non-tiling, but that said I find it ends up feeling pretty natural. It also lends itself to using workspaces more, I find, since you're not cramming all your open programs into one workspace and alt-tabbing through them.
>>
What does -Wall command do? Couldn't find anything on google? Is there a way to find this info in console?
>>
>>68411572
it's a flag for the gcc compiler. There are a fucking lot of them: https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Option-Summary.html
but a few are used very commonly.
-Wall gives all warnings
-Werror is a good one too, turns warnings into errors
>>
>>68411559
Yeah, I see how it could change the way you use a computer os. I'll look into it more as my setup is fresh and ideal for testing it out.
It would further make it feel unique when switching from windows to kubuntu which would be cool to have that change in the way you use the space. I have a large high rez monitor so most of the time a huge window is a waste of space.
Thanks for explaining.
>>
>>68411599
Thanks
>>
>>68411626
No problem. It sounds like you're new to linux, I'm kind of jealous of that fun exploring feeling!
... well, except for how it very often led to me mucking around above my pay-grade and screwing things up haha. But... learning experiences.
>>
>>68404628
you should check out cal
>>
>>68411664
lel. I've tried a ton of distros over the years, I'm not a master of the terminal though, only dipped my toes in and out and when upgrading to SSD the first time I was reluctant to dual boot windows because I've messed up before with grub menu corrupting windows. I have a second SSD to try things out on now so I'm going to make an effort to get under the hood a bit.
In ways I am new to linux though, no doubt.
>>
Sup guys, I'm the guy who had problems with mpv last night on intel drivers. I just got home and switched back to nouveau instead of intel + nvidia + bumblebee and now mpv works.

I'm about to test the X11 restart thing as well. Let's see what happens.
>>
>>68411753
ahh, gotcha cool.
if you venture more into terminal-land, there's a lot of neat things to explore there. I recommend checking out zsh and oh-my-zsh, though I just found fish shell (and oh-my-fish) though I'm happy enough with zsh.
>>
What are the differences between Ubuntu and Mint, besides DEs?
>>
>>68411599
>-Wall gives all warnings
Pfff, not on planet GNU it doesn't.
>>
>>68411921
But why not use Nvidia drivers if you have an Nvidia GPU?
>>
>>68411944
Remember that one Alien movie where the corporation made a whole bunch of clones that were half alien and half Ripley? Mint is like that but with Ubuntu and Debian.
>>
so i'm installing arch on my pc and i am unsure in what display server to use...
on one side i have read the review that wayland performs badly with nvidia and gnome, is this true? should i go xorg?
>>
>>68412061
nVidia works very poorly with Wayland so you have to use Xorg. GNOME works with either.
>>
>>68412061
Go with Xorg first to make sure everything is working and then go wayland if you need it.
>>
I'm doing some website and would like to send emails with php. Sadly, the mail() function do not work. I think I should install ssmtp and configure it so it works. Everything I found about ssmtp is about configuring it for gmail.
Anyone knows how I should configure it ? Should I just follow this gmail thing even if I use something else ?
>>
>>68407640
t. NPC
>>
If portage wants to remove nano2.9.8 and i want to keep nano, i should enter [c]emerge --noreplace nano[/c] right?
>>
>>68411944
One is shit and spies, the other one is a copy, pissed on, shat on and painted green.
>>
For me, it's tr.
>>
>>68411954
well GNU's a bunch of wankers
thankfully there's now the alternative of LLVM/Clang
>>
>>68412061
in my experience everything performs badly with nvidia, but xorg does slightly less so use that
>>
>>68405091
Is there a way to get inxi to run from anywhere like a normal command, or does it always have to be run from where it's located with "perl inxi"?
>>
>>68411966
I can't find a way to make it render the Linux framebuffer console, which I use to log into my user to startx or troubleshoot stuff.

Can I somehow use nvidia on the main Linux image and nouveau on the fallback image?
>>
>>68412469
>I can't find a way to make it render the Linux framebuffer console
Listen to me. You will not get a high rez framebuffer, i explained this last night, you do not need it either.
Uninstall intel shit, uninstall noveau, and just install nvidia.
>>
What y'all use to connect to projectors? I thought of using arandr but the "set laptop screen to projector's resolution and mirror"-thing Windows does seems much more convenient. Unfortunately the projectors are at uni so I can't really try stuff out myself
>>
>>68412564
I don't want a high res framebuffer console. I want *any* type of framebuffer console, I don't care whether its 1080p or some VGA resolution as long as it works. The nvidia driver is incapable of using efifb and for some reason it doesn't use vesafb either.
>>
>>68412695
I'd use xrandr --auto
does that not work well with projectors? I have a presentation coming up and it'd be nice to find out now rather than later.
>>
File: crDgtqQdNXcAEHF8r.jpg (20 KB, 500x350)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>68412754
>does that not work well with projectors? I have a presentation coming up and it'd be nice to find out now rather than later.
I'm in the exact same spot but feel too awkward to just try it out in front of a dozen or so other people
>>
>>68412728
>The nvidia driver is incapable of using efifb and for some reason it doesn't use vesafb either.
You didnt read anything i've posted.
You dont need efifb
You dont need vesafb
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#DRM_kernel_mode_setting
>>
>>68412804
I tried this and shitloads more kernel parameters. I spent hours tweaking and rebuilding initrd images and entering parameters on grub's command line and config files. None of this worked. I had to literally chroot into my system from arch install media in order to undo the damage.

Either it doesn't work or I did it wrong. If you tell me how I can blacklist nvidia on the fallback Linux image, I'm willing to try it again. I just add "nvidia" to the relevant variable in the fallback preset?
>>
File: 1406803019377.jpg (103 KB, 1280x720)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>Using the nvidia driver
I seriously hope you guys don't do this.
Do yourself a favour and buy AMD.
>>
>>68412913
>did it wrong.
You did it wrong.
>If you tell me how I can blacklist nvidia on the fallback Linux image
Thats not how mkinitpcio works. You will need to create a separate kernel package and compile nouveau in to it.
>it dosent work
I am using nvidia. I have followed the exact instructions i have told you to do.
I am using X11.
It fucking works

>>68412973
Why would i want a gimped piece of hardware that is 2 generations behind at their top of the line card?
>>
>>68412995
>Why would i want a gimped piece of hardware that is 2 generations behind at their top of the line card?
Boy, you really fell hard for Nvidia's retarded memes didn't you, goy?
AMD cards are excellent and have extremely high-quality open source Linux drivers that just work. Intel iGPUs are also extremely good too, but that's obviously just an iGPU.
It's seriously extremely retarded to use anything Nvidia.
>>
>>68412200
Ask in the gentoo vs arch thread. There's a couple gentoo guys in there.
>>
>>68413027
>AMD cards are excellent and have extremely high-quality open source Linux drivers that just work
Cept when they didnt(when they were ati) and nvida was the only option and still provides a higher quality driver stack then any ati cards can, amdgpupro or otherwise.
Nvidia has higher performance then any amd card
Nvidia has better feature sets then any amd card(try doing any encoding on an amd and watch as it stutters to fuck)
Nvidia runs the linux world(RHEL workstations use nvidia cards and blob driver)
If you cannot afford an nvidia card, just state that you cant, otherwise there is no reason not to use nvidia in 2018.
>>
>>68412995
>Why would i want a gimped piece of hardware that is 2 generations behind at their top of the line card?
AMD is by far the best option for a just works approach when it comes to Linux, but sure, everyone develops in CUDA.
>>
>>68412973
It's a laptop. It came with the nvidia card. I bought it because of the nice processor more than anything. At the very least I expected the Intel GPU drivers to just work but they didn't.

>>68412995
>You will need to create a separate kernel package and compile nouveau in to it.

Why? Can't I just have it installed alongside the nvidia package? Nouveau gets automatically blacklisted when nvidia is installed.

echo "blacklist nouveau" |
install -Dm644 /dev/stdin "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/modprobe.d/${pkgname}.conf"

I want to somehow make it blacklist nvidia and use nouveau instead, when booting the fallback image only.

>It fucking works

Does your system boot directly to X? Are your boot messages rendered? Do you see systemd messages on your screen?
>>
>>68413089
Why dosent amd create their own cuda?
They should be able to afford...oh wait, no one buys amd cards. Meaning amd is poor and lacks the development powerhouse that is nvidia to keep up with the times and produce a proper toolkit
Its as if...
>but opencl
>but gcn
BAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA
>>
>>68412800
Well I'm assuming if it works with an external monitor it should also work with a projector. If it doesn't so be it. Also why would you want to mirror your screen? having notes and stuff displayed on the laptop seems more useful imo.
>>
>>68413086
>Cept when they didnt(when they were ati) and nvida was the only option and still provides a higher quality driver stack then any ati cards can
The past is irrelevant; fglrx was a trash fire, but it's been put down now.
AMD got their shit together and AMDGPU is the present, and it's extremely good. It's extremely unlikely you need AMDGPU-PRO for anything. The open-source userspace driver is all you need.
>Nvidia has higher performance then any amd card
All that performance is so great when you can't even use it.
>Nvidia has better feature sets then any amd card(try doing any encoding on an amd and watch as it stutters to fuck)
Post some numbers, fuckboi. Although I really don't care.
>Nvidia runs the linux world(RHEL workstations use nvidia cards and blob driver)
Numbers, and nobody fucking cares what RHEL is doing.
>If you cannot afford an nvidia card, just state that you cant, otherwise there is no reason not to use nvidia in 2018.
I literally develop software related to Linux graphics, and I can say that Nvidia can go fuck themselves. I'm not going to write driver-specific shit for Nvidia's special-snowflake interfaces, just so I can get cucked by Nvidia.
AMD or Intel iGPUs are the only viable desktop GPUs at this point.
>>
>>68413027
>Intel iGPUs are also extremely good too, but that's obviously just an iGPU.

Intel GPU obviously can't compete with nvidia or amd but seriously it's often more than enough. The drivers most certainly do NOT just work however. On intel GPU, mpv was freezing my system so thoroughly I couldn't even sysrq out of it. Switching to nouveau fixed it.
>>
>>68413111
>Nouveau gets automatically blacklisted when nvidia is installed.
No it does not. You will need to blacklist it in modprobe.d

You have to create a separate kernel image that has nouveau compiled in to it and then make a separate mkinitcpio init that has nouveau listed in the mkinitcpio config

>Does your system boot directly to X?
No, i do not use a login manager and i manually mount some drives before issuing "startx". I dont use a de i use openbox.
>Are your boot messages rendered?
Yes, the entire init is rendered in the tty
>Do you see systemd messages on your screen?
Yes, i see the entire systemd init.
When its done i an left with a "hostname:login" prompt waiting for me on tty1.
I then login, mount my drives, then startx
>>
>>68405134
Your mission to be a pedantic ass has been accomplished, chief.
>>
>>68413162
>The drivers most certainly do NOT just work however
They have for me. I've got some shitty 2011 thinkpad, I'm impressed by how fucking smooth video playback is on it. I know a thing or two about Linux graphics, and i915 is one of the best drivers.
>freezing my system so thoroughly I couldn't even sysrq out of it
I think that may be a vaapi thing; although that's still related to intel drivers, I guess.
>>
>>68413150
>numbers
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-pascal-aug18&num=2
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=threadripper-2950x-gaming&num=2
>when your top tier card cant beat a third tier card
>>
>>68413201
>just works for me
>im a self important homebrew "developer" that got a commit in to the amd stack
>but it cant possibly not be working for you ,even though everything you said is an intel driver stack issue
>well it cant be not working for you
>im the driver developer its unpossible!!!!
>>
>>68413172
>No it does not. You will need to blacklist it in modprobe.d

I literally just showed you the part of the PKGBUILD that does that.

https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/nvidia#n63

>You have to create a separate kernel image that has nouveau compiled in to it and then make a separate mkinitcpio init that has nouveau listed in the mkinitcpio config

What if I used intel graphics as a fallback instead? Is there a kernel parameter I can use to stop nvidia kernel modules from loading?

>No, i do not use a login manager and i manually mount some drives before issuing "startx". I dont use a de i use openbox.

Hey that's nice. I'm going to try doing it again; let me just figure out how to easily revert this thing if it fails. I swear if I have to boot some USB shit just to rescue my install again I'll go mad.
>>
>>68413201
Maybe they're less stable for newer processors. Laptop has an i7-8750H and a GTX 1070 GPU. Basically running mpv on any file would cause linux to suicide itself to the point I couldn't even get logs out to see what the cause is.
>>
>>68413305
>>68413362
Use hwdec=none in your mpv config and see if that fixes that shit.
>>
>>68413390
Wait, hwdec=no is the correct thing to put.
>>
>>68413390
I thought about trying software decoding... It'd probably fix it, yeah. The problem is it'd also probably disable all the nice gpu-hq video rendering shit, right? What would be the point?

I ended up fixing it by installing nouveau.
>>
>>68413150
This is what Cuckland developers actually think.
>>
I just get a black screen when trying to play visual novels using winehq/playonlinux/winetricks. What am I doing wrong?
(ubuntu btw)
>>
Is there a retard-proof way to host my own email servers? Like a one-button installer that sets up everything with sane defaults? I tried following multiple guides but it never works in the end.
>>68413739
Did you install the latest version from wine website or through your package manager? I found that debian has a very outdated wine version that didn't really work for most games I tried.
>>
>>68413764
I installed the one from winehq.org
>>
File: 1541001374850.webm (1.34 MB, 460x258)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB WEBM
The only way tp be safe o the internet is via VPN. Linux or GNU/Linux or GNU + Linux is not safe and is spyware as well, Deppin is spyware and obviously Ubuntu. Prove me wrong faggots.
>>
>>68413782
did you try running the game with LANG=ja_JP.UTF8 wine ...
>>
>>68413764
>Is there a retard-proof way to host my own email servers?
No. Setting up an email server is actually fairly complicated, and requires you do to a few things that the software you're using just can't do for you.
Also, getting other emails to trust you sure is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>68413150#
>numbers
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-pascal-aug18&num=2
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=threadripper-2950x-gaming&num=2
>when your top tier card cant beat a third tier card
>>
>>68413787
I don't have systemd, so I'm safe.
>>
>>68413868
>Also, getting other emails to trust you sure is a pain in the ass.
I don't really care about that. I'm not sure what part if any I did wrong because I don't know how to test it.
>>
Is there a mouse sensitivity GUI that actually works?
>>
>>68413949
>I don't know how to test it.
Send an email...
>>
if it was worth anything it wouldn't be free :)
>>
File: 2.png (113 KB, 391x368)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>>68414043
>>
>>68414043
That's why I only fuck hookers.
>>
>audio through headphone jack is screwed up on windows
>just works on linux

lmao
>>
>>68412405
Did you try installing it using your package manager?
>>
>>68413844
It's a translated game, but yes.
>>
What distro should I install on my P50? I have been running Ubuntu MATE for a long time but I am getting tired of the old packages in the Ubuntu repos and the lack of cohesiveness in the UI. Only real requirements for me are modern packages (kernel especially) and a desktop environment that looks as good as it functions. I use Gnome 3 at work but the file manager is fucking awful so that's a no go,
>>
File: 1539088708458.png (144 KB, 720x856)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
>>68413787
>>
>>68414090
the answer is always arch linux
when are you people going to understand this
>>
>>68413929
This is why people don't take /fglt/ seriously.
>>
>>68414113
But what DE though?
>>
>>68414118
lol
>>
>>68414067
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>68414128
i3
>>
What program would allow me to pan to a certain location on a video and cut the rest of the video out around it?
>>
>>68414170
ffmpeg
>>
Can I use mpv to turn a video into an animated wallpaper? How?
>>
>>68414179
While at a basic level yes, i dont want to write 50k lines of code to get ffmpeg to do this
>>
>>68414146
Alright here we go, will report back later
>>
>>68414226
Dont. Use KDE gnome or cinnamon.
>>
>>68414297
I have used all 3 of those in the past and several others and none really felt right to me.
>>
>>68403722
I'm doing it, I'm uninstalling windows. If I just boot debian do I still need grub?
>>
>>68414183
--win 0 I guess, read the manpage, doesn't work with compositors, then you meed xwinwrap.
>>
>>68414463
A new free man. Welcome aboard.
>If I just boot debian do I still need grub?
You need a boot loader, and grub is a boot loader, but you can use an other boot loader if you want.
>>
>>68407067
In the official repos or via flatpack?
>>
>>68414613
>using flatpack
Lmao
>>
>>68414463
Does the Debian installer give you the option to not use a bootloader at all? Technically you don't need one on a UEFI machine if your kernel is properly configured for UEFI. Since configuring your kernel is not part of the installation process for most distros, it's up to the docto distro maintainers to set that up. I've never tried to go without a bootloader, but I haven't installed Linux on a UEFI machine in years. Next time I do I'm going to try it.
>>
>>68414655
>Technically you don't need one on a UEFI machine if your kernel is properly configured for UEFI.
Really?
>>
>>68414655
MBR or EFI you need a bootloader no matter what.
You have to bridge the kernel or you wont do anything
>>
>>68403722
I want to have the fastest Linux experience possible to do common tasks (view images, watch video medium quality, browse the web, etc): what should should I do to achieve this?
>>
>>68414801
Install to a ssd.
>>
>>68407862
chown as www-data, set to 775
>>
>>68414694
>>68414754
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/EFI_stub_kernel
>>
>>68414893
Thats literally a bootloader.
You're passing the same exact commands directly in to the kernel. its a fucking bootloader
>>
>>68414907
If your firmware can function as a bootloader, you don't need a separate, software bootloader like you would if your firmware could not function as a bootloader, as was the case for most personal computers for decades. To say that "you don't need a bootloader" is a clear enough way to describe that situation to someone who is not autistic.
>>
>>68414997
You dont need a hardrive anymore, cause you have ram.
>>
>>68415010
It's far more like saying that hybrid cars don't need transmissions and having someone insist that hybrid cars do have transmissions because they still have to have some way of transmitting power to the wheels. You are disregarding the common usage of the word in question.
>>
>>68415068
You still have a fucking bootloader
Whether you pack it in to the kernel or use grub. You still have to bridge hardware to software.
>>
>>68414578
Thanks anon, is their a way to skip the 5 seconds of it listing all the partitions?
>>
>>68415081
You're confusing bootloader and drivers
>>
>>68415139
If you take the image and put it in the kernel and then load it WOW ITS A BOOTLOADER.
Drivers come after the kernel image is loaded
>>
Linux loads the drivers which are also bootloaders, then the bootloaders load linux which then loads the init which in return starts the linux kernel which then starts linux questions in the linux community.
>>
>>68415224
What's the kernel in Linux?
>>
>>68414113
>install arch meme
>system takes ninety seconds to shut down
>googling this finds forum posts of the same issue from two years ago
I guess the Arch way would be to troubleshoot this problem myself and maybe compile my own systemd to fix it?
>>
>>68415246
The Linux kernel is GNU, hence "GNU/Linux".
>>
File: 1540861379331.jpg (302 KB, 750x500)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
>>68415265
well meme'd
>>
Linux is my pepper.
>>
Linux in the pooper.
>>
What DE do you guys use? I've found GNOME to be decent looking, relatively small and relatively functional, but I think I'm looking for something new. I use Cinnamon on my desktop and it's great but probably too mouse heavy for a laptop. KDE seems way too bulky for me, and MATE seems pretty ugly. What else is there?
>>
>>68415331
Mostly I use a text console, for convenience's sake. Most of my work is editing text and that is more efficient on a text console. On the text console, the touchpad can't cause me any trouble if I touch it by accident.

I do use X11 for tasks that need a graphical interface. I have no preferred graphical environment or window manager. Since my interest in using graphical environments is small, I don't want to spend time comparing them.
>>
>>68415331
I've been using xfce for 12 years.

>>68415354
t. rms
>>
>>68415331
Cinnamon's perfectly fine anon
>>
>>68415331
I have Cinnamon right now, but I'm thinking of switching to Openbox or something because it feels like this laptop can barely run it.
>>
>>68415224
No
you have your initramfs and your vmzlinux
Your bootloader loads these so you can bootstrap the kernel and then load from there.
Where its at in the process does not matter, you still have a bootloader
>>
>>68415308
Goatse is not Unix
>>
Which driver should I be using for my Nvidia card? It's a 1060 6GB. I was using the proprietary one but I think it's causing a lot of glitching so I switched to the open source one to see if that helps.
>>
Hello guys. Did someone got to tweak Void Turn Off Screen Time? I can't manage to find the setting.
>>
>>68415699
You should be able to do it with xrandr.
>>
>>68415711
Never thought on using xrandr, I always searched power management related terms. Mind you if I ask too for clipboard behaviour? Want to learn about it.
>>
>>68415692
>1060 6GB
Use the latest stable driver 39X, called "nvidia" in most distros
>>
>>68415744

I've been using that one and I just went back to it, but I've seriously been experiencing some odd graphical glitches. Like my left bar will go to the size of a sliver and the icons won't show up. Same for stuff on the top. Icons mess up. Makes me have to restart. Not entirely sure what to search for a solution or to really ask here, honestly. It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen. I've updated and everything so it's kind of weird.
>>
>>68415792
Your hardware is fucked.
>>
>>68415801

It can't be. No. I bought this card a few months ago. Please no.
>>
>>68415803
You could have bought it yesterday and it could fuck up and die.
Your lack of logs means we cant help further
>>
>>68415824

How do I get the logs for you?
>>
Why does this infinitely loo instead of ending after the final command's output is send to /tmp/f?
It does what I want, but I don't know how it knows to stay open

cat /tmp/f | /bin/sh -i 2>&1 | wine /usr/share/ncat-w32/ncat.exe -l 1234 --ssl --allow 10.00.00.001 > /tmp/f
>>
What are some good distros for old macbooks? I got one from 2009 and im trying to make it usable again
>>
>>68416013
This is pretty wierd shit senpai. Why the shell, why wine and why writing to a file you just opened?
>>
>>68404628
Really good to list entire directories and sub-directories and save output to text files.
>>
>>68416013
> /tmp/f happens before cat /tmp/f, cat reads an empty file.

Also netcat is available on gnu/linux, why are you using wine?
>>
For me, it's sed.
>>
Is there a GUI video player I can use on raspbian with only keyboard input? I was having trouble getting OMXplayer to work through the terminal and in the file browser I needed a mouse
>>
>>68416862
to clarify OMXplayer is working fine through the terminal it just seems like too much typing. I'm looking for something where I can just use arrow keys on a gui
>>
>>68416862
>>68416913
never mind seems turning raspberry pi into a home theater is a shitty idea
>>
What's the current state of open and closed source AMD drivers? I remember about 5 or so years ago both lagged behind nouveau and official Nvidia by a lot. Can I expect comparable performance and stability compared to Nvidia on a recent AMD card?
>>
>>68416951
AMD's drivers have gotten significantly better over the last few years. They changed their driver strategy and it fucking paid off.
There is very little reason to use the proprietary userspace driver (AMDGPU-pro), aside from some very specific GPU compute stuff.
Just stick to the open source driver and it'll run great.
>>
>>68416951
The open driver amdgpu is good enough that nobody talks about amdgpu-pro. Performance and stability-wise it is not comparable to Nvidia though ((because it's not fucking broken)).
>>
Is there a simple way to change display color saturation on Ubuntu?
>>
>>68403722
I'm using Arch with KDE. In Konsole and xterm but not in tty or rxvt-unicode (rxvt comes with its own terminfo), ranger file manager doesn't receive <ctrl-h> which is a command for "show hidden files".
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xterm#Fix_the_backspace_key doesn't work whether it's with "XTerm" or "xterm" (which is in talk page of the wiki) string as evident in .Xresources. .Xresources load fine thorough the command "$ xrdb -query -all". #archlinux on freenode and archlinux forum don't response to me. I posted in forum for months https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=235717
and this is close to two weeks https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=241360

Please, help me.
http://www.ibb.net/~anne/keyboard.html
It's described in there.
This problem is the only one remain with Arch and it's very nagging for me.
>>
>>68404052
>what is calibre
>>
>>68417405
Maybe ctrl h is a keybind in the KDE keybind menu thing. That could be interfering.
>>
>>68417554
It's not because emacs receive <ctrl-h>.
It's an old problem as described in
http://www.ibb.net/~anne/keyboard.html
>>
>>68417447
I can't remember the last time I opened calibre. If it can preview the first image of an archive be it zip or rar, I'll gladly look on it.
Apparently dolphin can preview zip files, but I've had no luck with it. In fact, it doesn't even display some folders as folders.
>>
>>68417613
If you could transport said file, I can test it for you.
>>
I log in from tty and was doubtfully wondering if I can log in to tty with my thinkpad fingerprint reader. using fingerprint-gui on void linux on a T410
>>
>>68417055
xrandr
>>
>>68403722
Trying to setup openbox on my laptop, now on windows it had predefined macro keys, does that play a role here? This part of my RC config should work but does not

<keybind key="F1">
<action name="Execute">
<command>amixer set -D pulse Master toggle</command>
</action>
</keybind>
<keybind key="F3">
<action name="Execute">
<command>amixer set Master 2%+</command>
</action>
</keybind>
<keybind key="F2">
<action name="Execute">
<command>amixer set Master 2%-</command>
</action>
</keybind>

It works on my desktop, what am I not considering?
>>
>>68417055
>>68417832
Isn't xrandr limited to just brightness and gamma?
xcalib has some additional options to adjust like contrast.
It doesn't have saturation though, but I'm wondering if that's because maybe some of the other options effectively influence saturation?
>>
Wtf is guix?
>>
>>68418461
The answer.
>>
>>68418537
No seriously
>>
So only certain mice work with Linux?
>>
>>68418777
Yeah. Live mice are a no-go.
>>
>>68418564
I am serious. But I can't give a very specific answer unless you ask a specific question. I mean I'm assuming you know it's a package manager, so obviously you're asking for more detailed information and I don't feel like writing a 5 page essay to cover everything.
>>
Is there any point in having WINE64? How many programs did you encounter that required it?
>>
>>68418461
pronounced "geeks"
GuixSD
>>
>>68407091

Things inside that file get started when Openbox starts. That's it. You can start anything you want with it, whether it's some Xfce or GNOME program.
>>
>>68411289

>changing distributions because he doesn't like certain programs
Retard.
>>
what X11 window managers would you recommend for bsd
>>
Does Stallman visit /g/
>>
>>68419279
no, mostly usenet and fidonet, and a few ERP MUDs
>>
>>68419305
How do you know
>>
>>68419311
;)
>>
>>68403722
when is linus replacing the tranny coc with gnu's kind communications guideline
>>
>>68419311
/g/ is sometimes a ERP MUD
>>
i like xfce
>>
File: IMG_20181109_110350.jpg (116 KB, 716x451)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>
How is Alpine? I want a minimal comfy i3 desktop and I have some experience with Void but I've never built myself a complete desktop. I'm a debian fag myself but I just want to get away from shitstaind. I can do that on lesbian but any apt operation will ask me to install the shitstaind software suite.
>>
>>68419680
It's shit.
>>
>>68418461
A package manager on steroids. The true zen of managing packages.
>>
Hey senpaitachi, looking for a comfy distro that will support triple screen out of the box and looks pretty
Please advise
>>
>>68420335
>support triple screen out of the box
That is completely independent of the distro.
Just use whatever.
>>
>>68420339
Okay sorry for being a noob retard senpai
>>
>>68420339
Which one is most pretty though
>>
>>68419346
>really starting to love my project
>we talk about going open source
>nervous but excited
>are we seriously doing this??
>omg this dev is way better than me what am Idoing
>he's just pounding through issues left and right
c-could I maybe watch
>he just laughs it off

>days go by, weeks
>still can't look her in the eye
th-thanks
>>
>>68420490
What the fuck are you trying to say
>>
redpill me on being a sysadmin
is it comfy
>>
>>68421162
It's shit and being automated, don't become one.
>>
>>68421177
Whats comfy then after getting a CS degree?
I dont wanna become a code monkey like the majority.
>>
Alright fa/g/s, I'm currently rolling with a w10 + elementaryOS dualboot but I'm looking for a new distro as elementary has been giving me issues for a minute.

Should I roll cloverOS or Xubuntu + Chicago95 theme? I really just want something that just werks but also looks nice and is relatively lightweight. I know these are both meme options but that's kinda why I wanna give em a try.
>>
Working with a raspberry/raspbian jessie image.
Fstab has an entry for /var/log, to be mounted as tmpfs. Now, redis service fails because it has no permissions to write in /var/log.
I've added mode option in fstab entry (mode=0666) but it is ignored, since /var/log has always 0755 (rwxr-xr-x).
What's wrong?
>>
Is there any point to use a command line web browser like lynx? I use it to scrap from sites, but I was wondering if someone uses it differently. I know you can set up an external image viewer.
>>
>>68421300
OpenSUSE leap 15
>>
>>68421504
But does it look decent and just werk?
>>
File: laughing345.gif (1.61 MB, 480x270)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB GIF
>he pronounces it eff-stab
>not eff-ess-tab
>>
File: laughing girl.jpg (204 KB, 828x885)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>68421558
>he pronounces it "pseudo"
>instead of a word short for super-doer
>>
>>68421521
First depends on your taste in GUIs.
Second definitely.
>>
>>68421366
in case x windows is too bloated for you, you might prefer the framebuffer
>>
New thread:
>>68421642
>>68421642
>>68421642
>>68421642
>>
>>68421634
I know some of these words.
>>
>>68421868
the textaroos before the boxybois
>>
>>68421875
cat'ing random pixels to the framebuffer is as an essential part of linux puberty as cat'ing random shit to your speaker is
>>
test
>>
>>68413787
NSA says otherwise

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.