[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: lgtvthing.jpg (79 KB, 1454x1091)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
Do OLED TVs still suffer from short lifespans? I know LG OLEDs use color filtered white OLEDs so there shouldn't be any color shifts from blue OLEDs sucking dick, but how fast do they degrade over time outside of that? I've heard that they basically drop to TN quality within 2 years, but that sounds pretty extreme.
>>
>>68406053
I’m avoiding OLED for now just because the price is so high and I don’t want it to degrade after a couple years. I don’t know how to answer your question, I’m just saying I’m holding out for now on OLED because of what I’ve heard.
>>
color shift nor brightness loss are going to be issues, the most you have to worry about is burn in and that can be avoided if you dont use your tv like a retard
>>
File: week-60-hdr-100-small.jpg (36 KB, 461x260)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
arent going to be issues*
>>
>>68406073
the best oled availible right now (lg c8) costs 1500 bucks (55 inch). pretty cheap for the best display money can buy. yes you heard right. I said display because it is also better then any monitor on the market.
>>
>>68406501
>I said display because it is also better then any monitor on the market.
They absolutely suck dick for anything other than movies due to input lag and risk of burn in, and they're too dim to use in a brightly lit room. OLED has a valid use case but it's a very specific one.
>>
>>68406053
Doesn't Samsung have some competing tech like Quantum Dot or something?
>>
>>68406668
The C8 has 21ms of input lag, not the fastest, but faster than just about any LCD that doesn't specifically sell itself on low input lag.
>>
>>68406687
its just lcd with an extra filter between the backlight and lcd
>>
>oled tv as a monitor
ok if youre fine with replacing it after every 1,5 years
>>
OLEDs will remain a meme until they fix the burn in problems and the brightness
>>
>>68406750
Burn in only happens if you watch ESPN 10 hours a day and the brightness is fine, close the shutters a little or something.
>>
completely off topic from this OP but.
what's normally the price of a good tv without having a fuckton of screen bleed and dead pixels on it?
>>
Normalfags run away the moment they hear OLED just as they did with plasma.
>>
>>68407104
And that's a good thing.
>>
>>68406816
Seriously? It happens to everyone. If I gayme my in-game HUD will burn in because it's static, same if I watch a channel and the channel logo is present. mLED will be much better at least it won't burn in
>>
>>68407104
Rtings confirmed that in the long run burn in is practically a certainty
good luck getting your TV replaced if that happens because it will, sooner or later
>>
>>68407104
I support their decision as a former plasma TV owner.

Sucked up 300W of power, suffered burn in from game HUD's, weighed a fucking ton.
>>
Got my 55' OLED in September 2017 to hook up my PS4 Pro and my Rig. Literally 0 burn in so far despite the fact that I let my Desktop be displayed idly for hours. Take that for what you will.

The TV was worth every penny btw

LED subhumans be seething itc

>inb4 reddit spacing
>>
>>68406053

had mine for a year. Left it on shopping channels, static news channels and finance channels.

So everything you shouldnt do.

The TV is as good as when I just bought it. Any kind of image retention is gone within 20 seconds of a new scene so literally what is the big deal.

Also OLEDs are cheap as fuck just buy another in 5 years when it fucks up lol.. which is probably a myth anyway just like people told me when i bought plasma.
>>
Is the C8 actually worth it over the B8?
>>
>>68407248
Panels are the same.

Only thing that changes is the case
>>
>>68407248
>>68407260
Wrong, B8 vs C8 is actually the one noticeable difference because the C8 uses a superior processor. Always go C8 if you can get it cheap.
>>
>>68407232
Cool story, marketing pajeet.
>>
>>68407260
bullshit
take the sony TVs for instance
way better processing and shit
it's not just about muh panels and case stupid fucking faggot kill yourself
>>
Is the x900f a solid telly? I'm getting it as it's the next best thing after OLED.
>>
>>68407404
>>68407270

zero evidence that picture quality is better. Sure maybe that enhanced motion setting will be smoother ;)

I'll wait.
>>
>>68407490
Cope
>>
File: t..jpg (5 KB, 104x122)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>68407247
>OLEDs are cheap as fuck
>>
>>68406668
>they're too dim to use in a brightly lit room
i fucking hate this arguement. if you spent more then 1k on a display you better set it up properly with the lighting in your room. you are the retarded reason they use matt coatings which ruins color accuracy, so go fuck yourself.
>>
>>68407814
>you are the retarded reason they use matt coatings which ruins color accuracy
Not to mention you can't even wipe your TV with a cloth towel without scraping the AG coating off.
>>
>>68407485
It's good enough
>>
>>68407211
it wont if you take care. not before reaching the 10k hour mark. low brightness and no static elements for too long will be enough
>>
File: 1521610713256.jpg (98 KB, 1330x1231)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>68406124
>the most you have to worry about is burn in and that can be avoided if you dont use your tv like a retard

How do I not use my TV like a retard? Hide taskbar on my desktop to avoid burn in? Don't fall asleep in front of it to avoid burn in?
>>
>>68406668
>input lag
unless you play cs go or overwatch high ranked the input lag won't lose you the game
also >>68406703
>>
>>68406053
It's in the name. Anything organic will degrade eventually. So yes, they do suffer from it. I'd honestly look to Samsung for longer lasting OLEDs. Theyve been doing it for years on smartphones
>>
>>68407404
sony has the worst oleds right now
https://youtu.be/MCDmRJvtgbY
retard
>>
File: 233904-L-LO.jpg (33 KB, 400x400)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Anyone give me advice for Black Friday shopping in Australia?

Planning to pick up a LG C8 55". Currently $2448 AUD, no idea how much further it will drop for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

C8 doesn't have much difference in features from last year's model either.
>>
>>68407821
I hate these shitty coatings so much. apple is basically the only consistent company with their retina displays that won't use them. it really is infuriating that they can make everyone jump the bandwagon to retarded phone notches but not for non coated displays.
>>
>>68407930
Dell doesn't cost the 4k display on the XPS 13
>>
>>68407864
>How do I not use my TV like a retard?
use low brightness for daily use. (high brightness profiles for movies is fine)
enable the software that comes with the display that prevents burn in (it is automatically turned on and used everytime your tv goes into standby)
hide the taskbar, like you said, and learn to use your browser in fullscreen mode.
>>
>>68407953
I know there are other monitors without coating, but they are few and far between. and like I said, no consistent line-ups like apples retinas with no-coating
>>
>>68407883
BS
the A1 series were fucking great, no idea about the new A9F but I'm sure they're no slouches
>>
>>68407953
The XPS 13 is also way too small for a 4k display to be worthwhile and it completely guts your battery life, not to mention the panel has sub standard color accuracy and gamut.
>>
>>68407883
LG is shit, low class products
>>
File: 1508382269625.png (55 KB, 617x347)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>using a 55inch screen as a monitor
>>
>>68407814
>matt coatings which ruins color accuracy
Yea this isnt actually true. You can measure it with a colorimeter. I have, the best measurements I got was from matte coated dell ultradharp monitors
>>
>>68408142
True.

BUT It decreases colour accuracy at angles and distance.

With a colorimeter its pressed to the screen so the matte finish cant distort the colours. Gloss screens are generally better with viewing angle accuracy... but its very minor

Dell ultrasharps are great - i really need to get another one of those.. do you know if the new ones are still as good?
>>
>>68408127
>using 4K 6" phone screen as a monitor
>>
>>68408142
What's a great 1440p panel from Dell? I like their Ultrasharps
>>
>>68407205
I've heard they've improved to make burn-in a lot harder, meaning that you have to have that static thing up for ridiculous amounts of time over a long period of time for it to actually happen, at least in a manner that the naked eye can see.
>>
So uh, when do the big black friday deals start rolling out?
>>
At this point in time, the only advantage an LG OLED will provide you with over a QLED is the darkroom performance.
>>
I bought an LG C7 black Friday last year and got the faggoty 4 year best buy replacement warranty. The tv is already less bright compared to when I bought it. When it gets really bad I'll probably use that warranty and grab a QLED assuming OLED is still bad for longevity in 2 years.

OLED is too much maintenance required imo. I don't want to have to remember to turn the TV off if I have a PC plugged in to avoid burn in and shit.

MicroLED couldn't come any sooner
>>
>>68412119
Damn right
I'm sticking to my x900f
>>
>>68406124
You lose brightness if you try to lower your white level and reprofile to get a more accurate but smaller gamut.
>>68407224
>I want inferiority because it's more convenient
Enjoy your McDonalds tier technology homie.
>>
>>68413960
brainlet.jpg
>>
You call the shots babe, I just wanna be yours ~
AM - RS/AS
>>
>>68412039
Viewing angles as well.
>>
>>68412119
>MicroLED couldn't come any sooner
And it won't.
>>
>>68406053
I think QLEDs are now the better substitute
>>
>>68410451
I use a couple of up2716d that I got on sale. They're great.
>>
>>68406053
I heard LG's 7 and 8 series last 20000 hours with HDR at 0% brightness (anything more than that is too bright on mine, I watch with the lights dimmed) and 80000 hours without HDR effects
>>
>>68415773
QLED's don't have true black, or as good of color clarity. just good for gaming
>>
>>68406053
>Do OLED TVs still suffer from short lifespans?
yes and they always will

if you NEED a tv this year go with a 65" Sony x900f. It is LITERALLY the only tv worth buying today. Next year MicroLED is going to destroy the current market and that will be the go-to technology for the next 10 years
>>
>>68415773
qleds are trash and worse than both Vizeo Quantum and Sony FALD VA panels
>>
>>68416449
>Next year MicroLED is going to destroy the current market
HAHAHAHA oh anon, you're so funny sometimes.
>>
>>68415773
>tricks you into buying the same old shit by slapping a new name name on it
Good goyim.
>>
>>68416478
do you actually think it's not coming out next year? Samsung has already planned the 75" consumer version of "the wall" for 2019
>>
>>68416510
Oh, I'm sure they'll have SOMETHING next called microLED. But I don't expect it to be under $50k.

Meanwhile, Samsung is now confirmed to be ramping up plans to start a QD-OLED production line next year: https://www.displaydaily.com/article/display-daily/samsung-display-accelerating-plans-to-shift-to-qd-oled

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
>>
>>68416546
fuck. I thought OLED was so expensive because of the manufacturing cost. I guess I'll just have to be happy with FALD. Maybe a Vizio Quantum will magically be on sale some time soon.
>>
>>68416510
They said it would take at least 5 years to get an affordable microLED TV under 80" it's not happening any time soon. We're more likely to get a longer lasting, evolved OLED using TADF-based blue elements and top emission. At least dozens of times longer lasting, possible hundreds at which point microLED would become pointless
>>
>>68417029
OLED is upper midrange to lower high-end on costs. $1500-1800 for a 55" isn't that absurd. $300 TVs are gutter tier dude. $900-1200 like Sony's X900- series is firmly mid range
>>
>>68417085
>We're more likely to get a longer lasting, evolved OLED using TADF-based blue elements and top emission. At least dozens of times longer lasting, possible hundreds
source on this?
>>68417098
I memed myself with a 49" tv so I'm never going to get anything less than 65" ever in my life. $1799 for an x900f looks like a good deal to me right now. There simply isn't a better TV that isn't an OLED
>inb4 le quantum shit
those all have worse motion handing, worse inputs, and worse upscaling.
>>
>>68417133
Top emission you can just google and find multiple reports about LG and Samsung lookign to start production next year or asap.

TADF presentation here
https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2018/02/f48/bergmann_emitters_nashville18.pdf
They expect it to be in products by 2019. It might just be production and medical displays but it'll probably get cheaper in the coming years. LG and Samsung are both investors and it would be awfully convenient to have super efficient blue OLED emitters for their QD-OLED
>>
>>68417281
I'd actually put it more likely 2020 based on what I've read, but we'll see. CES is in a couple months, so if something is coming next year, that's when we'll most likely see it or not.
>>
>>68417307
Point is it's more realistic than microled being affordable in the next 10 years.
>>
>>68417321
true that
>>
>>68406053
they will ALWAYS suffer from burn in, which is why we patiently wait another decade for microled, or just get an X900F/Z9F in the meantime.
>>
>>68417442
>they will ALWAYS suffer from burn in
Probably true, but it may get to the point where it won't realistically matter for the vast majority of people (i.e. cheap and no visible burn in for 5+ years typical viewing).
>>
>>68417442
MicroLED does too. Any display with self emitting elements will get burn in because each pixel degrades at different rates. But MicroLED is bright and efficient enough that it doesn't matter over short runs. A super efficient OLED would basically be the same as microled
>>
>>68417527
>MicroLED does too
brainlet
>>
>>68417530
If you have a TV with FALD it's currently eating shit
>>
>>68417549
Like hell
>>
If only they didn't have burn in issues. I'm not willing to spend $2500 on a tv that has the chance of being ruined because I accidentally left my PS4 paused for too long
>>
>>68417849
Don't worry, it's going to be ruined after 2 years no matter how careful you are with it unless you literally only use it for dedicated movie viewing and thus only have it turned on for like 3-5 hours a week.
>>
https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-oled-burn-in-at-incheon-airport-reignites-controversy/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-embarrasses-with-oled-burn-in-at-tradeshow/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-oled-tv-suffers-burn-in-from-4000-hour-test/

>OLED

INTO THE TRASH IT GOES
>>
File: OLED-burn-in-50-gray.jpg (62 KB, 906x1214)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
Here's rtings burn in tests after 20 and 40 weeks at 20 hours/day
>>
Can't wait to get my x900f in a few weeks, it's gonna be sick
>>
I've had a 77 inch C8PUA for a little while now and i fucking love it, images are crazy nice and its everything you'd expect for the price. But its the TV for my theater and not my main use TV so I have avoided any burn in concerns, but im not enough of a tard to use it as my only TV.
>>
>>68417990
so no burn in with minimum brightness even if you play cod for 40 weeks non-stop.
>>
>>68418612
you have more money then brain, huh?
>>
>>68418627
Won't argue with that, certainly it isn't wise to spend almost $8,000 on a fucking TV. But hey, I was able to pay cash with no financing and it didn't disrupt my budget at all so why the hell not, the C8PUA is way better than the projector i had in there previously.
>>
How quickly would I run into burn in/degradation issues with an LG C8 if I never watch regular TV, only movies and netflix, and even then not every day?
>>
>>68419270
It's a fucking lottery
could be a few weeks, could be months but you can bet it'll happen to ya
>>
>>68419498
stop spreading disinfo, shill
>>68419270
see
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test
>>
MicroLed > Quantum Led > LED > LCD > OLED
>>
>>68419899
microLED > oLED > qLED

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.