[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1604811408567.png (85 KB, 1024x1353)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
https://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
https://cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
https://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
https://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
https://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/1175569

IRC: #sqt on Libera.Chat
https://fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread: >>99760113
>>
devuan win
>>
>apt-get install package
>Change my mind and apt-get remove same package
>Tons of dependencies remain
Why is Debian like this?
>>
sudo dnf history undo last
>>
>>99781868
>>99781868
my wifi cards* don't work** unless I remove/rescan the pci after boot. what would cause that? after remove/rescan it's mostly*** fine until reboot.

*this problem occurs on two different laptops
**on one card, the wifi works but will shit itself after an indeterminate amount of time and require a remove/rescan. on the other card, the connection is intermittent and will drop several times per minute resulting in reauth
***on the second card, the fix holds for ~10 minutes before fucking up again
>>
File: 1712009672531.jpg (18 KB, 300x168)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>99786840
sudo apt install reinstall purge systemctl start restart dpkq -q
>>
what do we think about fedora?
i was wondering if it is a viable option since ubuntu has become such hot garbage
>>
File: a.jpg (33 KB, 540x475)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>using git clone to download personal config files and using a script to echo variables to system files for new installs
>>
>>99787426
Fedora is actually great. The premium Linux desktop for the average user.
>>
File: 1712010628921.png (436 KB, 1080x2066)
436 KB
436 KB PNG
>>99787456
This community Fedora? Or some other totally-not-a-pet-project-of-red-hat Fedora that people seem to be mentioning now and again?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36AIoOHTVjk

It's close.
>no reason to use gnome any more
>steals plasma users
>mogs MATE and cinnamon
>>
File: monkeys-paw.jpg (56 KB, 842x403)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>some wine exe process has fucked or whatever and refuses to close
>searching all processes and filtering its screen name doesnt yield the exact PID
>"fuck it"
>google how to kill all non-essential processes
>type command
>everything freezes except the mouse
>just shutdown and reboot
10/10 not even mad, I told the machine what to do and it did without a single complaint
>>
>>99786889
 --auto-remove 
>>
>>99787565
how long until valve replaces kde with cosmic for steamos on the eck
>>
>>99787727
>pkill -f -9 wine
>>
>>99787557
Those are testing branches, it never made it to the main Fedora release. Not saying it's good, but nobody noticed this backdoor for weeks. It was on Arch, but it was harmless. Also, I don't like Red Hat either. But Fedora is just a good desktop, simple as.
>>
>>99787727
wineserver -k kills all the wine shit
> google how to
use mans first
>>
is devuan any good? like Debian stable just without systemd-faggotry nothing less nothing more?
is it driven by political faggots endorsing COC and LGBTQAIS+ bullshit or rather political agnostic?
>>
>>99786840
Installed xubuntu yesterday feelsgoodman
>>
>>99787911
practically yes it's debian without systemd. but i've had issues with the desktop and netinstall iso's where it doesn't like my nvme and after installing it finally the thing but it's broken and doesn't get everything as i had to install the amd firmware for my gpu to work and was having network issues
>>
>>99787911
Devuan came into existence (like Artix) as a protest distro against the then wide-scale systemd adoption among major distros.
Basically, if you don't like systemd in some kind of fashion, these kinds of distros are for you.
>>
File: 20240402_091138.jpg (1.77 MB, 4128x1908)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB JPG
How do I stop this bullshit. Never in a million years do I want error messages to print over my login prompt.

I tried dmsg--console-off but that either did not work or it's just turned back on as soon as you boot.
>>
>>99788322
>this nigga doesn't run a botched hacked together barely running pile of shit distro that's half a second from breaking and never working again
why even live?
>>
>omg im lost between all that APT / DPKG / SNAP shit
>quick google search
>stackoverflow
>some random chap pastes commands to find all the broken dendencies / duplicate installs / old revisions to be removed
> fix all my shit
> free tons of space
> periodically redo these commands with aliases
Even all my $PATH mess is now clean
Thanks, friendly anons
>>
>>99788607
I mean I'm ok with a hacked together pile of shit I just want a little less shit.
>>
-`
.o+`
`ooo/
`+oooo:
`+oooooo:
-+oooooo+:
`/:-:++oooo+:
`/++++/+++++++:
`/++++++++++++++:
`/+++ooooooooooooo/`
./ooosssso++osssssso+`
.oossssso-````/ossssss+`
-osssssso. :ssssssso.
:osssssss/ osssso+++.
/ossssssss/ +ssssooo/-
`/ossssso+/:- -:/+osssso+-
`+sso+:-` `.-/+oso:
`++:. `-/+/
.` `/
>>
I just got trolled hard by my bios. Must have been a stray click, or something, that disabled the UEFI entries for my linux. I seriously just wasted like over two hours reinstalling the grub through a live disk, over and over, and it never worked. I had all this text typed out asking for you guys' help already. Before I sent it, I just went through the bios one more time, and finally found an option hidden inside three others, "boot options: disabled"

Fucking hell.
>>
Is the performance with the steam proton thing for games really bad? It's using more of my cpu than it does in windows. Even at idling it's 27% on 32 cores.
>>
>>99789344
Game performance is either worse or you're not rendering everything.
I remember running Oblivion in wine and getting so excited about how much better it performed but in reality none of the post processing was rendering.
>>
>>99788899
Now that you have your boot entries, have a look at them
efibootmgr -v -u

See how simple the Linux one is?
>human readable name - can be anything
>location of your grubx64.efi
you can boot straight up kernel images too btw
but the image must be made for the task or must contain an appropriate initramfs
>"root=whatever" boot argument
>>
>>99787757
They won't there's no reason for them to do so. They invested money in KDE development and that's paying off nicely with all of the features KWin has now (good VRR support - it's not experimental - and HDR support are massive)
>>
>>99787565
I'm looking forward to full COSMIC supremacy.
>>
So I want to dual boot Windows 10 and Linux. Complete newbie to Linux here and I want to start with Arch but I have a few questions:
1. Should I start with Arch or should I start with something simpler?
2. Any guide on how to properly dual boot with Windows 10? I've done it before with 10/11 but never with 10 and a Linux distro
>>
File: FBVfPacVkAYcSpn.jpg (230 KB, 1364x2048)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
>>99786840
So if I add
randomsite.xyz 127.0.0.1:8080
To my etc/hosts file, it'll redirect randomsite to my proxy that's running at 127.0.0.1:8080, right?
>>
>>99790728
Use Arch or Artix, they are simple.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dual_boot_with_Windows
Grub and osprober packages are quite important for detecting both boot files. My recommendation is using two drives tho.
>>
>>99790759
Why two drives? I have two but I just want to know
>>
>>99790728
If you can understand Arch's installation method and can watch a couple videos about proper Arch maintaince and the like (or read up on the wiki) you'll be fine. Arch is great because community based and has by default cutting edge packages.
>>
>>99790730
That doesn't work the way you think it does. You can't put a port number in etc hosts.

You need a transparent proxy running on ports 80 and 443 for this to work the way you want it to.

Alternatively use some sort of .pac file but not all applications support that.
>>
>>99790771
Ease of use, safety, you can just wipe the win or linux drive incase something happens. Who wants to mess around with gparted incase something happens?

>>99790787
Port is not important, I can set it to 443. It's running at https only mode anyways. So randomsite.xyz 127.0.0.1 would work? I will try it now.
>>
>>99790799
>So randomsite.xyz 127.0.0.1 would work?
Yes.

randomsite.xyz connects to 127.0.0.1:443
Your proxy forwards that on
>>
>>99790730
>randomsite.xyz 127.0.0.1:8080
No, it goes like
>127.0.0.1 randomsite.xyz
as hosts file is about hosts, not TCP or UDP or an other protocol.
Also: don't add the line like that, add randomsite.xyz at the end of an already existing line with "127.0.0.1 localhost".
>>
>>99790815
I forgot that 80 and 443 is not open to regular users. I am running the proxy as sudo lol.

>>99790832
I knew that from localhost file, the ip first format, but I am gonna try that too.
>>
>>99790842
>I knew that from localhost file
Localhost file?
>>99790730
No. Are you perhaps creating a transparent proxy? For the local machine only or is that a router?
Transparently hijacking packets is highly OS related, what OS you running?
>>
>>99790842
>I am running the proxy as sudo lol.
You could also use iptables to redirect the ports

Google:
>iptables transparent proxy
Lots of examples
>>
>>99789344
It has some overhead, but it sounds like you're hitting a game-specific issue.
>>
>>99787565
Once it hits Artix I'm giving it a shot
>>
>>99790875
I should've explained the problem better.
I need to proxy 1 website, this website will be access from browser.
Proxy server is running at 127.0.0.1:8080, if I set firefox to this proxy, everything would get proxy. I just need randomsite.xyz to go thru a proxy while browser is accessing it. How would that work? The changes I made at hosts file didn't work.
Archlinux btw.
>>
File: xz.png (359 KB, 780x846)
359 KB
359 KB PNG
>>99786840
https://thehackernews.com/2024/03/urgent-secret-backdoor-found-in-xz.html
>>
>>99790944
Then you want a .pac file
Firefox supports this.

Google:
>Firefox proxy PAC file
>>
>>99790954
Bit late anon. The backdoor's been mitigated on all major distros already.
>>
File: genshit.jpg (23 KB, 790x741)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
How do i fix gaming?
>>
>>99787911
Every anti systemd distro community somehow always filled with chud lol including devuan
>>
>>99791694
Are you installing/running Genshin through An Anime Game Installer? You gotta use that if you want to play it on Linux without any real issues.
>>
>>99791736
I'm using the standard version on lutris. Is there a way to transfer downloaded files to that launcher? the game is like 80+gigs now
>>
>>99791772
From the Genshin page on the Lutris site for moving to AAGL:
>To use an already existing "Genshin Impact" install folder, move the folder in main GI Lutris game directory and rename it "Genshin Impact"
>>
File: 1711827696010607.png (534 KB, 1280x800)
534 KB
534 KB PNG
To access a SMB share using my Linux laptop, should I use Nautilus, or should I use cifs-utils with a manual/fstab mount? Is there much of a difference between the two? Is one substantially better/safer to use than the other?
>>
>>99788322
is RTFM frenly?
>>
>>99791835
I wasn't expecting to see my desktop posted here.
>>
>>99791804
that's so ambiguous. i did it but still needs 30gigs
>>
>>99792024
Well if you run it through this launcher you shouldn't have any issues playing it compared to going in dry.
>>
File: 1712036185086.jpg (1.73 MB, 1370x1370)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
Not much of a gamer but I like to play old Roms from time to time. For GBA I used the virtual boy advance emulator, for SNES I used snes9x emulator and for n64 I used simple64. These are all windows programs though. So what's the best emulators for those consoles on fedora/redhat linux? The machine I'm using is very low spec so whichever is the least resource intensive programs is ideal for me
>>
>>99791835
I wish it was possible to make tiling WM's look like that.
But no, apparently nobody who uses a tiler would ever want anything more than a solid, flat, line around their windows.
>>
HELP
I'm on arch and trying to recover a video file that got deleted. I tried to cut the file from my main drive to windows, and when I switched to windows the file wasn't there and it was deleted from my linux drive.

Trying to install testdisk to recover the file, but pacman keeps trying to download an incorrect version (7.1-5) which fails. The current version is 7.2-1 but it won't download it automatically, how do I get pacman to download it?
>>
>>99792599
Flat and smooth just like their brain.
>>
>>99792589
A very vast majority of emulators use OpenGL or Vulkan for their backends and Linux pretty much expects those. Basically all the best emulators that exist currently can be used on Linux no problem, either natively or used in a Flatpak/AppImage.
>>
>>99792589
You can use Retroarch, and a good front end for it. There are plenty of good frontends for retroarch. Give them a look.
>>
File: 1708835113668492.png (111 KB, 659x692)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>99792611
it's fucking over I can't believe how retarded I am I downloaded the package manually, installed it, and then tried to recover the files ON THE SAME DISK that I deleted them from so it made a recursive loop and filled my folder with garbage and almost certainly lost all the data
>>
>>99792589
mGBA, SNES9x and RMG (current best GBA and N64 emulators IMO) all have up to date AppImage versions you can use on any Linux distro. Just download them and make the AppImages executable and you basically have an .exe file to run.
>>
>>99792045
cannot input keyboard
>>
>>99792589
>The machine I'm using is very low spec
bro, we ran those emulators, besides n64, on toasters from the 90s
>>
>hdr
Do people actually use this? Or is it just the latest thing to be excited about "just because"?
>>
>>99787097
Buy a new computer.
>>
>>99793465
Pretty much any monitor you buy today will come with at least HDR 10 as standard.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (21 KB, 158x103)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
Wtf does this mean, gnulinuxanonfagbros? Why does my very small C terminal-based application use 20.4TBs of virtual memory?
>>
gnome was a mistake
it should be wiped off the face of the planet
every developer included by the wrath of god
>>
>>99793956 why
>>
>>99793969
shit doesn't work correctly on it
only the way the gaynome devlopers say it should
>>
when will chimera linux swap to a bsd kernel
>>
>>99793982
what would be the point then?
>>
>>99793894
It's just the size of the address space used for the task, I believe.
>>
>>99794011
How can it be 20TB if I don't even have five TB of memory or disk or both combined?
>>
>>99794038
Because the address space is virtual. It's not real. All that value means is at least one page was allocated at a really high address for whatever reason.
>>
>>99794047
should I be concerned? is it bad? should I fix it to preserve my dignity?
>>
>>99794005
to remove GNU
>>
>>99794068
I don't know, have you been playing with any security features on the compiler/linker? Or even the kernel? Some kind of ASLR?
You can probably ignore it, but I'd check dmesg for any warnings.
>>
>>99794075
then it's not chimera, just a bsd
>>
>>99792599
Why do you need to use a tiling wm then?
>>
If I just delete everything in my gentoo world file and clean up with portage will that basically revert things to a clean install?
>>
>>99794011
>>99794047
>>99794089
> security features
I don't think so, It's a pretty script-kiddie C application, nothing fancy, and these are my flags
 -fsanitize=address -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -std=c99 

>Or even the kernel? Some kind of ASLR?
Nope and Nope
>dmesg
Thank you for all the answers anon, I will look into dmesg.
>>
>>99794143
>I don't think so,
>
-fsanitize=address

It's this, dude.
>>
>>99794190
Oh... Thanks man. I will read the documentation then.
>>
>>99794092
See, this is it right here. This mentality is exactly the problem which causes every tiling WM to have 0 decoration.

You're implying that the only reason anyone in the world could ever possibly want to have keyboard control of their windows in a tiled environment is if they are somehow an over-the-top minimalist, who would cringe at the idea of having any decoration at all.
That mentality also implies that tiling is some kind of "sacrifice" people make for performance and maximizing screen space.

My answer to your question is that all your assumptions are wrong. I use tiling because I actually prefer the behavior. It's not something I do to squeeze out performance, to be minimal, or even necessarily to maximize screen space.
>>
File: 1437953196137.jpg (250 KB, 1024x708)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
There's not a single piece of GNU/Linux software that will let me transcode & sync music from my server to my phone.
>>
>>99794345
Why would you want to fag up your music?
>>
>>99794210
fvwm (the wm in that pic) has basic tiling functionality. so do many other stacking wms and des. dynamic tilers like awesomewm and hyprland can also do traditional title bars and that sort of stuff while having superior tiling functionality compared to stacking wms, but it might take a fair bit of time and effort to get them looking how you want.
>>
Are there any tools like SpeedFan that allow me to set fan speed profiles on Linux?
>>
>>99794488
flac is a waste of space, I only keep them for archival, and there's no need for an archive on my phone
>>
>>99794345
opusenc & rsync/ssh
opusenc & syncthing, if you want dropbox like functionality
nextcloud if you want actual streaming
>>
>>99794565
No you got it mixed up. Wav is a waste of space. Flac is still lossless but with a huge reduction of file size.
>>
>>99794713
The entire existence of mp3 was to quell the amount of fucking space wav files took, while flac files take around the same amount of space but are the highest quality the audio can be.
>>
>>99794760
>take around the same amount of space but are the highest quality the audio can be.
They don't though. You can test it for yourself if you want to. I think it's like a ~40% difference or something.
>>
>>99794554
Best let your "BIOS" deal with it, just set the fan curves to your liking.

In general I wouldn't rely on userspace software to control whether your hardware is allowed to overheat. Sensors stuff in Linux varies between acceptable and total trash unless you have specific chips. Even just monitoring is potentially unsafe on some.
>>
>>99794140
I mean you're still going to have a populated home user directory and other cruft you've built up.
>>
How can I get started with making desktop themes I can upload on theming sites? What do I need to learn other than graphic design?
>>
I think I hate Linux now
>xz is untrustworthy
>install ubuntu lts so i can avoid untrustworthy versions of xz
>now ssh doesn't work and i don't know why
>try a different version of openssh on my client machine and it reinstalls xz because apparently that's a dependency
Fuck Linux, fuck open source garbage, anybody can just commit whatever the fuck they like to this shit, what a moronic idea.
>>
>>99795186
The xz backdoor has already been mitigated anon. For like three days.
>>
>>99794867
mp3 made cd audio 10x smaller, but now we have storage media 1000x+ bigger than we did back then, so why are we still so stingy with it?
>>
>>99793545
i wasn't asking for advice, i was asking for insight on why the problem might occur. thanks though.
>>
>>99795311
Most audio is transmitted through streaming platforms now, which are still subject to file size limitations in the form of bandwidth. There's nothing preventing you from downloading FLACs for your own local listening, or from using streaming services like Tidal if you truly think your ears are going to perceive a measurable difference.
>>
>>99795311
>so why are we still so stingy with it?
I think people just care more about space saved vs quality. Also mp3 is a dead format. Opus does FAR better quality (in fact almost indistinguishable from lossless at higher bitrates) at a SMALLER file size. It's crazy.
>>
>>99795439
nah, we're just stingy with it. while there are still some examples where making audio smaller than flac is useful, like on a limited mobile connections or to put on old equipment, but generally speaking there's really no reason not to use flac
think about it, video streaming is huge nowadays, and that's mostly well beyond flac bitrates, there's really no excuse for flac or similar to not be the default for a music streaming service
also i'm not the same person
>>
>>99795476
>there's really no excuse for flac or similar to not be the default for a music streaming service
There is, to provide a higher-cost option for retards who think they can tell the difference.
>>
File: aaa1.png (515 KB, 1920x1080)
515 KB
515 KB PNG
>>99795052
Depends on the scope of your theme.
I assume you want to focus on something like GNOME, KDE, XFCE4, etc.

Since most Desktop Environments are (at least under X11 convention) a combination of discrete:
>DE services and GUI applications
>Preferred widget toolkit
>Window Manager
>...and icon packs. dont ask
you will often have independent theming for each, with the DE providing a sort of master config to set them all at once. This is just a generalization, and with Wayland there's less emphasis on these elements being discrete.

All I know in any personal depth is KDE, and with that you have everything from QT styling for applications like QTCurve, to theming for Plasma Desktop specifics, to kwin-specific themes using lower-level configuration.
There are also theme engines like kvantum which handle most of the inner plumbing and allows you to set SVGs and preview the GUI easily. Pic related is an excellent IRIX theme which uses kvantum.

I'd unironically recommend looking at a theme you like and tinkering with the config files and assets - that's the one good thing about open source lol.
If you link one here with questions there could be answers.
>>
>>99786047
should have used btrfs
>how does that help
checksums, corrupt files throw I/O errors on read, so you can't accidentally back them up
>>
>>99788663
copy it here chuds
>>
>>99795571
>>99795476
FWIW I use a subsonic clone to stream my own music (will migrate eventually).
In an area with decent 5G, I found FLAC made a noticeable difference in the time it took to buffer on my phone with mobile connection - it made stuff like seeking significantly more janky. And for a device with limited internal storage, I found I could only store like a 16/th of my library in FLAC, which meant A LOT more bandwidth use from recaching music that got pruned due to storage constraints.
Practically speaking I get the same audio fidelity to my ears from 128kbps OPUS, so I just bump it up to 192 for my clients and called it a day.
If I want a FLAC I can just grab it using the web client, which is convenient enough given how rare the need is.
>>
>>99787565
>rust
lmao I’ll stick with xfce thanks
>>
>>99794345
Uh wow lucky I scrolled up - try this:
https://github.com/navidrome/navidrome
Ultrasonic is a good compatible client for Android
>>
>>99790842
>I knew that from localhost file, the ip first format, but I am gonna try that too.
>that
>too
It is the same format, it's just aliases being the additional names in there.
127.0.0.1    localhost anime-pc
::1 localhost ip6-localhost anime-pc
>>
>>99786840
Any docker Chuds here? I'd like to enable some form of live code reload. I think I just need to mount the code in a volume. But ideally I'd use the same command with some sort of flag. Is it possible?
Something like:
docker-compose up --development-mode
>>
>wake up
>nvim treesitter starts crashing for no reason
i want to get into vim so bad but holy shit, here I go messing with configs again
>>
>>99796248
What are you talking about?
Mapping the source code while in dev is standard procedure yes, and it's the same up command.
"live reload" (are you talking about web?) is something completely different.
>>
is possible to change the view when selecting a file? this is what i get which is poop
t.loonix mint
>>
>>99787814
>>99787426
fedora isn't "good"
i cant even watch movie without tinkering with this shit
[lidof@fedora:~/Documents/aria2/The Passion of the Christ (2004) 1080p BluRay 5.1 Ch x265 HEVC SUJAIDR]
$ mpv The\ Passion\ of\ the\ Christ\ \(2004\)\ 1080p\ BluRay\ 5.1\ Ch\ x265\ HEVC\ SUJAIDR.mkv
(+) Video --vid=1 (*) (hevc 1920x1080 23.973fps)
(+) Audio --aid=1 (*) 'Surround' (aac 6ch 48000Hz)
Subs --sid=1 (*) (subrip)
Subs --sid=2 (subrip)
Subs --sid=3 (subrip)
File tags:
Title: the passion of the christ bluray sujaidr
Failed to initialize a decoder for codec 'hevc'.
Video: no video

Exiting... (Errors when loading file)

i installed drivers or something, after reboot it not works AGAIN!
>>
>>99792611
>>99792847
It's not over, you can recover from your latest backup. You keep backups, right?
>>
File: stallmanleebre.jpg (55 KB, 619x424)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
Stallman woke up
>>
>>99796973
As much as this is correct I can't really take him seriously as he eats crusty skin from the bottom of his foot in public. Sorry, call me cynical.
>>
>>99796973
>Extractors of oil and fossil gas are rapidly building new facilities and eliminating any possibility of limiting global heating to 1.5°C.
Based, accelerate.
>>
>>99797018
Yeah, it's a shame. He sounds like a lunatic.
>>
>>99787426
>we
fuck off
>>
I use EndeavourOS coming off of Linux Mint. I like having access to AUR packages and some of the newer features but it seems buggier than Mint and sometimes things don't seem to work but booting into Mint they do. Things like QT or AppImages. Will I really be missing out on anything if I use Mint? Maybe using the Edge ISO to make sure I'm not to far behind?
>>
File: 44n5d6hgfagz.png (44 KB, 742x828)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
>>99796729
yes with kde, if on gtk, maybe on last versions of gnome
>>
>>99793465
>HDR
I don't even know what this is and why gaymers are obsessed with it. Is this just another name for color correction?
>>
>>99795642
Thanks a lot
>>
>>99793465
It ups the contrast makes brighter things brighter and dark darker, particularly noticeable on true blacks.
It's neat.
>>
>>99797311
It is a greater color spectrum. It's not gaymers only its also artists (furries) and movie people (pedophiles).
>>
Is there a way to reset some of my configs on my user account in endevourOS? One of the updates seems to have screwed with programs (probably a wayland thing) and now it crashes when I go to settings. I rolled a new user and on there it works fine. Of course I can't seem to open my linux drives when on that new user but that's an all together separate issue. Man, the more I think about it, the more I might go back to a debian based distro.
>>
File: antix-icewm-desktop.jpg (276 KB, 1680x1050)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
>>99786840
this is the best lightweight distro for old pcs, just revived an old intel atom netbook with it

https://antixlinux.com/
>>
>>99796596
I just do not want to rebuild the images to see changes. I am starting out with docker.
>>
>>99798355
yes, your service in the docker-compose will have something like
app:
volumes:
- ./src:/src

this will synchronize changes on the running container when you modify your local files.
then again, "live reload" is something else. there are extra steps there.
>>
>>99798532
Ok. So I should have one docker compose file for production and one for development? And run with docker compose -f ?
>>
I've settled on void Linux for the distro I'm gonna switch to since I refuse to go to windows 11. Is there any good resource to read to understand Linux outside of the void Linux documentation?
>>
>>99798580
right.
alternatively, you can add for example `COMPOSE_FILE=docker-compose.prod.yml` in your .env, saving you the -f.
>>
>>99798590
>Is there any good resource to read to understand Linux

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
File: 1712075511961.jpg (766 KB, 1664x2432)
766 KB
766 KB JPG
Anyone has tried setting up BTRFS with Snapper on Arch? Does it work? Any gotchas to be aware of? I wanna try a faster moving setup than Xubuntu.
>>
>>99798709
Go back to freezing in your gnu+house because all current insulation is "proprietary" and thus not worth having.
>>
>>99796884
You probably have to enable RPMfusion repos and install some tweaks.
>>
>>99787097
check dmesg at the time of issues
And post relevant lines here
>>99795186
LTS does not have recent versions of xz installed, you're paranoid.
Check firewall for ssh
>>99798166
>ryzen 7700x
>Virtio GPU
That's a nice netbook you got there
>>
>>99798654

thanks bro
>>
File: ancient.png (40 KB, 1024x768)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>99798849
>>
Still having problems with bluetooth not working when coming back from a suspend.
I have switched to the LTS kernel but this is still happening
Checking the journal I notice this message in red
>Apr 02 10:06:03 loonix kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: command 0xfc01 tx timeout
No certain that's the actual problem but probably relevant
Any advice, or suggestions on things to try / check next?
>>
>ffmpeg adding 8 pixels to my encodes suddenly
Why is this happening? Its adding 8 pixels to every video i encode with hvec.Is the same script i've used for over a year and its just NOW happening
>>
>>99798166
who cares? regular debian works just fine on low RAM, xfce actually works like a modern, usable DE instead of something utterly barebones like icewm.
>>
>>99799450
xfce is bloated, makes a big difference on a very old machine
>>
>>99798166
>>99799074
commie tranny distro
>>
>>99799541
This
MX Linux as well
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 241x209)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>99799541
>>99799613
>>
>>99786889
apt purge <package>
>>
>>99799524
The worst bloat is RAM usage, but 4GiB are still enough even for fucking gnome. I have had no troubles running debian xfce + browser on an AMD E-350 APU or a Core 2 Duo T6400, booted from spinning metal.
>>
>>99799642
>>
>>99799668
I have an old netbook with 1GB, antix is the best option for that.
>>
>>99799739
possibly still quite bloated, try puppy linux or damn small linux
>>
>>99798849
>check dmesg at the time of issues
>And post relevant lines here

Thanks, here you go.

[ 8863.549094] ath: phy6: ASPM enabled: 0x42
[ 8863.549102] ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x6a
[ 8863.549103] ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a direct regpair map
[ 8863.549105] ath: Country alpha2 being used: 00
[ 8863.549107] ath: Regpair used: 0x6a
[ 8863.550135] ieee80211 phy6: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel_ht'
[ 8863.551289] ieee80211 phy6: Atheros AR9462 Rev:2 mem=0x000000003d8e7f69, irq=18
[ 8863.588861] ath9k 0000:04:00.0 wlp4s0: renamed from wlan0
[ 8867.539583] wlp4s0: authenticate with 38:a0:67:40:d2:d4
[ 8867.539604] wlp4s0: 80 MHz not supported, disabling VHT
[ 8867.559016] wlp4s0: send auth to 38:a0:67:40:d2:d4 (try 1/3)
[ 8867.570323] wlp4s0: authenticated
[ 8867.572806] wlp4s0: associate with 38:a0:67:40:d2:d4 (try 1/3)
[ 8867.577468] wlp4s0: RX AssocResp from 38:a0:67:40:d2:d4 (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=17)
[ 8867.577591] wlp4s0: associated
[ 8867.577709] ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x8348
[ 8867.577712] ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a country code
[ 8867.577714] ath: doing EEPROM country->regdmn map search
[ 8867.577716] ath: country maps to regdmn code: 0x3a
[ 8867.577717] ath: Country alpha2 being used: US
[ 8867.577719] ath: Regpair used: 0x3a
[ 8867.577721] ath: regdomain 0x8348 dynamically updated by country element

I've set the country code using iw reg. It doesn't seem to be taking. I'm doubtful that's the problem since it's resolving accurately (I'm a burger).
>>
>>99799773
youre Linux is: damn small
>>
75 megabytes of RAM for an OS with a working DE, let me guess, you need more
>>
I installed Manjaro shortly before the hack, can I just update it? or do I need to reinstall?
>>
>>99799857
Now try to run something.
>>
File: CM9FIvTWIAE5JeM.jpg (30 KB, 640x613)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
every day is another episode of "this piece of software works correctly and without issues on my hardware with literally every other distro but arch"
>>
>>99799774
This was at the exact moment the connection dropped and reconnected?
If yes, this line is very suspicious
>ath9k 0000:04:00.0 wlp4s0: renamed from wlan0

To be sure, can you run this command and post all output? make sure not to dox yourself by accident
>dmesg | grep -P '(?<=\d{5}\] )(ath|ieee|wlp)'
>>
KDE neon just seems like a worse kubuntu, what's up with that
>>
>>99799857
Cute wallpaper with DSL
>>
>>99800249
>If yes, this line is very suspicious
Why? It's just renaming the device to something more standard.

dmesg with that grep spits out a lot of the same information on repeat. It just cycles the same problem. Is there something specific you're looking for? I'm happy to search through.
>>
>>99800544
I've had issues before with devices being renamed and having issues coming or staying online.
>>
>>99794959
So if I feel like stuff is a bit of a mess I should just reinstall?
>>
>>99794210
Well, I just use fvwm, so tell that to the people that develop tiling window managers.
>>
File: 1696630517880961.png (41 KB, 251x524)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
ive got as bunch of audio files i want to flip through quickly and with a convient interface for audio (being able to loop and seek, really)
right now im using mpv but is there a program thats has an interface more meant for audio (and also lets skip to the next or previous file)? or at the very least, can i configure mpv to use a different gui for audio files
>>
>>99800608
I'm testing it while disabling firmware inherited names and that seems like it might be doing the trick. I'll report back in a little while with results.

If that did the trick, thank you. I've had this problem for years. My bandaid solution was to fall back to an older kernel, but during a recent package upgrade, I incidentally wiped all my old kernels. Oops.
>>
>>99800813
It's not minimal like mpv, but I use qmmp for audio. It's pretty lightweight and fast. I have it configured so that it uses the modern interface, in which I've put a file explorer to the left of the playlist panel. I just drag n drop files from left to right. If I want to listen to a file multiple times and then continue, I just put it multiple times in the list. I can skip to a song in the list, or go back to one just by clicking on it
>>
>>99800891
>>99800608
Spoke too soon. :) That's not the trick.
>>
>>99799642
>disliking commie trannies who inject politics into a fucking linux distro means you're a nazi
okay then
>>
File: home.png (5 KB, 202x250)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>99799933
You know the answer already.
>>
File: screenshot.png (26 KB, 1159x345)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
organizing my home dir properly and purging with great prejudice any program who tries to write non-dotfiles to it was the best idea i've had
>>
is there a way to show thumbnails in kfind or another search?
>>
>>99799642
nazis are in heaven with Jesus, looking down and laughing at bolshevik reptilians getting assfucked in hell. you mad?
>>
>>99800959
i tried it for a little bit and this would work, but its incredibly laggy when audio files loop which makes it almost unusable for short sounds
>>
>status [ top | up | down | bottom ] [ left | right ]
>The status window by default is in bottom‐left corner. This command can move status messages to any corner of the screen. top is the same as up, down is the same as bottom.

What is the "status window" in GNU Screen? It's not the message line or the hardstatus line. This doesn't seem to do anything.
>>
>>99801672
oh, its the ALSA back end that makes it laggy as shit
thanks anon, this will work
>>
>sudo snap refresh
>new firefox is immediately installed
Snaps are alright. Sure, debs are better, but I'm on a Raspberry Pi, and I don't think Mozilla offers a deb of Firefox on Arm. The snap seems to be updated by Mozilla at the same time as their debs though, which is good.
>>
>>99799424
help
>>
>>99801943
snaps not being able to access /tmp is such a shitty decision.
>>
>>99802106
what???????? LMAO
another reason to completely avoid this garbage
>>
>>99802191
yes, you pretty much have to put it into the homedir if you want to access it in a snap.
>>
File: file.jpg (68 KB, 640x488)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
mint faggot from couple days ago with the bootsector/fancontrol issues here.
if you want to have a few laughs at my expense, so at least someone else gets any fun out of this shitshow, feel free.
>>>/v/672181938
>>
>>99802191
Plus it has a proprietary back end.
>>
File: pop launcher.png (139 KB, 528x390)
139 KB
139 KB PNG
>>99786840
>>99787565
Is there a way to get PopOS's pop-launcher on other distros and desktop environments, but it works *exactly* the same in terms of functionality? (Application launcher, terminal command input, and most importantly, open windows that highlight when selected and brings them to the front no matter what workspace they are in) I don't like GNOME and Pop has packages that are a bit out of date, so I just want the exact functionality of that on whatever distro or DE I use.

The closest I've been able to find is Rofi or its Wayland counterpart Wofi but I've been unable to figure out a way to get something that looks the same or similar and functions exactly the same (window manager first upon open, then you type something and it searches applications like rofi's drun) as the pop launcher in that I can hit ctrl+# to launch the stuff there. I'm talking about this thing in pic related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOfMjzcZneA
>>
I encrypt files with 7z's usage of AES-256. Would it be OK to put an AES256-encrypted private key on the Internet (such as a public website)? Is it future proof? If not, what program implements lattice-based encryption which I have heard is quantum proof?

I posted previously about running out of storage space errors on a device. I was confused because I had hundreds of megabytes free. Turns out that I ran out of inodes. Check that with "df -i" (I was previously running "df -h").

>>99790954
Collection of videos related to that xz backdoor: tVvbLS2Bm8c 044GiRqGebc bS9em7Bg0iU H_XNSDneR5g
>>
I'm running Mint
My computer often freezes for a few seconds, then goes black and then I see the Linux log in screen
I don't see the motherboard screens like I would if I reset my PC
I am looking at the syslog file and it seems that a lot of things related to my GPU were happening the moment my PC froze
>The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
Any suggestions?
I don't play video games anymore and the crashes occur when I have firefox and chrome open
>>
>>99803721
>Wofi
This was my go-to but apparently there's even more now, like tofi, and rofi also now works on Wayland. Wofi is just as good as the pop launcher but you can customize it, it's got a config file.

exec dmenu --show run

(I think) Except now I think they use bmenu or something else. Man I can't keep track. I don't know how or why you'd want window manager to show after launch.
>>
>>99804158
>I don't know how or why you'd want window manager to show after launch.
It is because I actually make use of multiple virtual workspaces and learned to love auto tiling window management, and having this functionality is excellent for when auto tilers put something behind another window like PopOS occasionally does.
>>
>>99804183
You want a wofi style.css? I get my configs from a guy on github.
>>
>>99804227
That would be lovely, much appreciated.
>>
>>99804134
Is this a recently mint install or has it been installed for a while? If it's older, have the packages been updated recently?
>>
>>99804237
I still need to adapt his configs to sway because I didn't like hyprland but most of his stuff uses systemd so I can't utilize them all.

https://github.com/JaKooLit?tab=repositories

*{
font-family: "JetBrainsMono Nerd Font";
min-height: 0;
font-size: 100%;
font-feature-settings: '"zero", "ss01", "ss02", "ss03", "ss04", "ss05", "cv31"';
padding: 0px;
margin-top: 1px;
margin-bottom: 1px;
}

#window {
/*background-color: --wofi-color0;*/
background-color: rgba(50, 50, 50, 0.8);
color: --wofi-color2;
/*border: 2px solid --wofi-color1;*/
border-radius: 0px;
}

#outer-box {
padding: 20px;
}

#input {
background-color: --wofi-color1;
/*border: 1px solid --wofi-color3;*/
padding: 8px 12px;
}

#scroll {
margin-top: 20px;
margin-bottom: 20px;
}

#inner-box {
}

#img {
padding-right: 10px;
}

#text {
color: --wofi-color2;
}

#text:selected {
color: --wofi-color0;
}

#entry {
padding: 6px;
}

#entry:selected {
background-color: --wofi-color3;
background: linear-gradient(90deg, #bbccdd, #cca5dd);
color: --wofi-color0;
}

#unselected {
}

#selected {
}

#input, #entry:selected {
border-radius: 8px;
border: 1px solid #cba6f7;
}

>>
>>99804131
I encrypt my journal with 7z's AES256 and I consider it good enough for non-sensitive stuff, but I wouldn't trust it with something that could get me in jail.

>future proof
I don't think we have anything quantum proof available for general use yet. Regardless, if your enemy is a state level actor, they would just shove a piece of wood up your ass to get your passwords.
>>
>>99804270
I mainly plan to use this with stuff like KDE and XFCE, so I should be fine. In any case, thank you for taking time out of your day to help.
>>
>>99799857
>xorg
>>
File: shrug.png (216 KB, 641x473)
216 KB
216 KB PNG
>>99804306
>Nvidia Explicit Sync not available yet in Wayland
>Multi window management not available yet in Wayland
By all means, make this post once those problems are solved and people are still using Xorg for some reason, but until then, cut people some slack.
>>
>>99797312
No problem

>>99800643
In the past that is what I would do, but hopefully you should gain some experience about what got you into the mess so that you may avoid it in the future, no?
What I'd recommend if feasible is making a second installation on either a spare usb stick/HDD, or even shrinking the original OS partitions, and then making a fresh installation there to import and compare whatever you want from the original before removing it.
>>
>Login screen
>60Hz
>Actual desktop
>144Hz
Why does this happen?
>>
>>99804251
I've been using it for about 2 years
I update whenever there is a new update on the update manager
>>
>>99799857
How did you configure your kernel? I have more than double than that just starting up.
>>
>>99804286
>Regardless, if your enemy is a state level actor, they would just shove a [gnarly/painful] piece of wood up your ass to get your passwords.
Part of a solution to this would be incorporating some unknown string of text into the password. Like the first 20 hex-represented bytes of /dev/random into a text file. Then adding that to the start/end of a password. Don't memorize those bytes, and copy it to clipboard without seeing them by using xsel (which doesn't work in tty). Also don't use anything which records The clipboard history. The problem then is always being able to shred that file. Like, always have a device on you that can ssh in and shred it, preferably with one or two touches of a button or some sort of easy kill switch. You will lose access to whatever, but no one can get it if that method is used and you active the shredding script.
>>
>>99804710
>>99804286
Is this all just a fun little experiment for you people, or are you legitimately trying to hide something?
>>
File: 1712056998465805.jpg (23 KB, 460x460)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Say his name
>>
>>99804955
he looks like a Ryan to me

or maybe a younger Joel

but if he's in the Pacific Northwest, his name is Ezekiel (goes by Zeke, they/them)
>>
>>99804754
I mainly want to know a way to copy an encrypted version of my private keys into "the cloud" without worrying. I guess I could encrypt them and put them in Google Drive (delete all your files after 2 years of Google account inactivity) or some other private online thing. But would it matter if it is a public online thing? I guess I could do this (less private and more of a public method): encrypt it then get it to show up in a certain IPFS gateway that I think has a longer than normal file retention duration. Next, don't share the CID at all and only save it to a text file. Unpin and gc after saving it to a CAR file. I could upload it to catbox.moe (does it allow encryption?), but I suspect that that link could be found from enumeration. Archive.org isn't too keen on encrypted files being uploaded there. If I don't do any Internet sharing of it, I could copy encrypted private keys to various local HDDs.

>>99804710
>secret agent / spy shit
Maybe: have the encrypted full password physically hidden with someone or somewhere. So you have the password to the password, plus other steps. Would have to think on that. Like you could have a thing which renews every so often, and if you don't do something then the password to the full password gets deleted. It could be something automatic, like something to detect that you are in your home, and if you are out of your home for 5 or more hours it gets deleted. 1/2
>>
>>99804955
He looks like a 'jak
>>
>>99805225
Crappy rambling at this point, the question is: could you get through being tortured and still have access to whatever that they were mutilating you for? Maybe the answer is to entrust some person with the encrypted full password and they will only give it to you. AND/OR, the full password is only available once per year on a certain date. Make some sort of, IDK, blockchain smart contract which can only emit that data to you or someone on a certain date once a year. Slower access helps a bit, and maybe you could get it to only release the password back-up once every five years. In that case you could hit a kill switch to shred it, but only lose access for 3 years or some duration. 2/2

>>99804955
S ydev?
>>
>>99792611
>>99792847
What was the video?

>>99805225
typos. "deletes all your files after 2 years". "out of your home for 50 hours".
>>
>>99804567
It's probably forcing 60Hz because it's a "safe" refresh rate.

Your login screen doesn't exactly need to be rendered at the highest possible refresh rate anyway. 60 is enough.
>>
>>99795875
I want to store music locally though, a server isn't quite fitting.
>>
>>99794345
>There's not a single piece of GNU/Linux software that will let me transcode & sync music from my server to my phone.
>my server
>>99805432
>I want to store music locally though, a server isn't quite fitting.
You are not the same person I take it.
>>
>>99805451
I don't want to have to stream music. The server is just for storage.
>>
>>99805458
Oh, then ffmpeg and syncthing would work well:
1. Make a directory dedicated to storing the transcoded music that is one-way sync (so you can delete the transcoded files on the server if you want)
2. Make a short shell script to take all the audio files in a directory, transcode it how you want with ffmpeg, and assign the output to the synced directory.
3. Go to the directories with the music and run it (or feed it directories as an argument if you want to batch-process directories)

If you want to do more files in one go, you can plug in the "find" command and have it keep track of directory structure when making output files in the synced directory, but that requires a bit more effort.
>>
>>99795467
Opus is insanely good. You give it a target bitrate and it'll actually transcode at a much smaller average bitrate but it sounds just as good (unless your target is obscenely small but even then Opus is competitive compared to other codecs targeting that same small bitrate. It's no contest)
>>
>>99805552
Hmm I was hoping I wouldn't have to store the transcoded music, even only temporarily.
Ideally the software would:
>Access a remote folder over smb or sftp
>Allow me to exclude certain folders
>Maintain its own database of music, remembering which files have been synced.
>Use that database to transcode music into a folder (my phone), with a directory structure of my choice, with cover art also copied over
Maybe there are Windows software that could do this, haven't checked.
>>
>>99800813
I wonder about a client side only solution for that, using HTML+JS.

>>99801752
I don't know, but I wish Screen could continue a program through a reboot.

>>99805225
>online, don't worry about it
Steganography and obfuscation also factor in to Internet-sharing/indexing the encrypted file.
>>
>>99805736
>I don't know, but I wish Screen could continue a program through a reboot.
Nothing can do that. You'd have to checkpoint and restore the program using something like CRIU:
https://criu.org/Main_Page

I expect with network facing programs it might not work properly though.
>>
>>99805648
Oh, what I advised above would plug into an active SMB for SFTP mount just fine.
Naturally you should have server/share for either preconfigured on the phone in that case, like with syncthing.

Now that I've read your post, I think what would work for you well would be (assuming android) using MTP with an MTP-aware media client to transfer the music. The only caveat is that the phone will need to be plugged in via USB. A long time ago I used Clementine to do similar:
https://github.com/clementine-player/Clementine/wiki/Portable-Devices
>>
>>99805736
>I wonder about a client side only solution for that, using HTML+JS.

that seems like overkill for a minimal audio player

>>99801912
i ended up finding something even more minimal, "Nulloy"
its perfect for quickly seeking around, looping and seeing the wave form
>>
>>99805765
I've actually tried a couple music players yesterday and none of them can actually connect to my phone lol. Some also wouldn't let me open the network folder for indexing.
>>
>>99805834
>I've actually tried a couple music players yesterday and none of them can actually connect to my phone lol.
You know I'm bored and got a Pixel.
Which ones and what did you try? I'll try it out myself and see if I can get it to work.
>Some also wouldn't let me open the network folder for indexing.
I could see that with SMB, but if you're using SFTP anyway I'm certain you can get around that by using SSHFS and making a user-owned FUSE mountpoint.
>>
f-stab
n-jinx
>>
>>99801222
how is thunar being shit avoided? it crashes my laptop and sometimes can't open files from smb shares (which do open from apps like libreoffice)
>>
QTerminal doesn't have this option, but I wish it did: save current tab to text file. Is there a better program which has this feature? (How do I log all terminal text to text files automatically?)

>>99799857
>>99800372
Furries. Do you also like the little ponies?

>>99805905
I also thought of it as "F stab". I had thought of nginx as "n-jing-giks".
>>
>>99805953
Konsole

You can also use script (see:
man script
) to make a typescript of anything happening in the terminal and this can be re-played too.
>>
>>99805905
>n-jinx
>>99805953
>"n-jing-giks"
It's "engine x".
>>
File: apw62.jpg (92 KB, 596x700)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
Need a service user for a headless aMule client. Am I supposed to have a group by the same name? Why do users generally have groups?
Also why does Debian put a bunch of shell scripts in /etc/init.d? How do I prevent systemd from generating services out of them?
Is Debian even a good choice? Would've went for Arch but fell for the
>hurr no Arch for servers durrr
-meme.
>>
>>99805942
Unless your expecting someone here to compare versioning on thunar and other components, the short answer is that debian in particular is one of the distros which prides itself on stable releases having a minimal amount of bugs and incompatibilities with software.
So if it is truly only broken in Arch, and it is broken due to something actually related to Arch, then it will likely be OK on Debian. If it is a deficiency of Thunar or other dependencies unrelated to Arch, it could also pop up in Debian (or other distros).
>>
>>99805879
Shit I can't even remember which ones I've tried. Definitely tried Rhythmbox, strawberry, pragha and exaile though. These either won't connect to my phone or won't let me select a network folder for the source.
I guess the network folder thing isn't that big of an issue though since I can always just browse to the actual mount location even if it doesn't show up in the file picker (I use gvfs for network shares).
>>
>>99805972
Nice, this is what I wanted. I used Konsole Version 21.12.3 > File > Save Output As...

>>99805990
>It's "engine x".
I know (but didn't when I first glanced at it years ago). First saw nginx in 2010 or thenabouts. For some reason I choose to keep thinking of it as njinggiks.
>>
>>99805990
>It's "engine x".
This. This is the easiest one. Linux abbreviations aren't always self-evident, but this one is.
>>
I have three disk and i want to know which one is better for installing games in, both sda and sdc are SSD while the other is an HDD. I took some tests with hdparm but i have no clue about what im doing.
Are my SSD's shit or what should i think of this? the first one was a gift while the other i found it on a dump, the hdd is 7 years old and i had to flash it 5 times once because it stopped working and wouldn't even let me boot into BIOS

-tT
cache and disk read in MB/sec
sda4 1580, 500
sdc1 1524, 141
sdb1 1554, 199
--direct -tT
sda4 351, 494
sdc1 338, 201
sdb1 468, 200
>>
>>99805757
>I expect with network facing programs it might not work properly though.
In the past, I saw that CRIU didn't work with AT's grab-site. Sad.

>>99805782
>>I wonder about a client side only solution for that, using HTML+JS.
>that seems like overkill for a minimal audio player
How is it overkill? Because it has to be ran in a browser? Weeks ago, I made something which did that with minimal functionality. Not counting the audio files, it took up about one screenful of text data, so that's small. Maybe I will share the link to that crappy audio player if you're interested.
>>
>>99806292
>media player as a web app
I want to murder you. In a friendly way.
>>
>>99791706
Adolf Hitler was anti-systemd. In Mein Kampf he wrote "systemd developers have infected distributions with their deformity. This has made those distros impure and therefore weaker or inferior."

>>99806151
Haven't tested it, but I hope Konsole allows for at least 750,000 lines per tab.
>>
>>99806626
>Haven't tested it, but I hope Konsole allows for at least 750,000 lines per tab.
They allow you to control the size of the buffer (including infinite, i.e no limit) but the more you buffer the greater its memory usage will be.
>>
File: mrdumass.jpg (14 KB, 320x230)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
After closing all my terminals (supposedly), there is still one at /dev/pts/
 /dev/pts/3 

But I can't visually see it. How can I "open" it (or bring it to the foreground/front)?
(on debian xfce)
>>
>>99806817
https://github.com/nelhage/reptyr
>>
>>99806292
>Because it has to be ran in a browser?
yes
>>99806357
what this anon said
>>
>>99806851
>reptyr (announced recently on this blog) takes a process that is currently running in one terminal, and transplants it to a new terminal. reptyr comes from a proud family of similar hacks, and works in the same basic way: We use ptrace(2) to attach to a target process and force it to execute code of our own choosing, in order to open the new terminal, and dup2(2) it over stdout and stderr.
Thanks, that doesn't seem what I happen to need for this, tho.
Technically I don't want to transplant processes from terminal to terminal,
Rather I want to "open" terminal 3, which is running, somewhere, in my system.
>>
what command should I be using with rsync to periodically clone drive A onto drive B. Basically:
>If file does not exist on B, copy it from A
>if file has been modified on A, overwrite it on B
>if file does not exist on A, delete on B
>>
>>99806936
What do you mean by "open" exactly? Because you can just
cat /dev/pts/3
. That should work fine but will probably cause some fucked up behaviour for the controlling process that already has it open because they don't expect multiple processes to be reading from it.
>>
>>99806996
syncthing
>>
>>99807015
I mean I don't see it, There's no terminal window anywhere, nor I have processes using terminals in /dev/pts, that one terminal 3 shouldn't be there. I write "open" with quotes because well technically there IS already one open terminal, numbered with 3. What I want is to "see" it. The actual terminal prompt/screen.
Another weird thing I notice is
killall xfce4-terminal
does work, it closes ALL the terminals I open, EXCEPT that one. It's still there. Which is weird.
I still want to know how to get to it. For now I will play the good ole' turn-it-off-and-on-again. I also want to know where the hell did that terminal 3 come from.
Also cat didn't do anything.
>>
>>99807133
>I mean I don't see it, There's no terminal window anywhere, nor I have processes using terminals in /dev/pts
lsof /dev/pts/3
>>
>>99807159
Already rebooted kek.
>lsof
Thank you for that. Will learn.
>>
I keep thinking I’m going to miss out if I switch away from my current setup (macbook, win desktop) but when I try to articulate what I’ll lose I’m at a loss. Like the fomo is completely just in my head. I do video editing, 3D cad (win only), a bit of a programming and gaming. Other than that I use the usual utilities apps (calendar, mail, etc.). I can navigate a command line (I do it for work) and have an ok understanding of computers and software. Will I be able to swap easily? (I know there’ll be an adjustment period but after that?)
>>
>>99807281
There's also fuser both work similarly. I'm not really sure what the difference between them is.
>>
File: 28394023298.jpg (349 KB, 1095x1095)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
is the slight uptick in performance and possibly less security updates worth switching to a non-systemd distro? will this make anything harder for me if i use my laptop for programming and vidya?
>>
>>99807453
Why would you assume non-systemd distros aren't getting security updates?
I can assure you they are.

>will this make anything harder for me if i use my laptop for programming and vidya?
No. You're going to install Steam or Lutris and play your games all the same. They don't care about Systemd.
>>
>>99807442
I asked ChatGPT and it seems they're not that different. I wonder why we have both lsof and fuser in the first place?
>In summary, lsof provides a broader view of open files, while fuser focuses on identifying processes associated with specific files or directories.
>>
>>99807442
>fuser
>>99807574
Thank you
>>
>>99786840
new linux user here. i want to use kali linux as my main os cuz its look cooler than ubuntu and windows is too easy. i have already backed up all my data. are there any tips before installing it on my laptop? will cia or fbi start monitoring my home ip?
>>
>>99807664
>will cia or fbi start monitoring my home ip?
That happened even before you *thought* about downloading it.
By the way, you can make any distro (even ooboonoo) look anyhow you like
>>
>>99806081
>Rhythmbox, strawberry, pragha and exaile
Man exaile is a name I haven't heard since the mid 2010s. Strawberry is a fork of clementine.
Trying Rhythmbox and Strawberry I encounter issues with MTP that appears to be based on the individual applications' implementation of MTP. Dolphin just werks and doesn't hog the mount (MTP devices can only be accessed by one application at a time).
Digging deeper, it appears my Pixel disables data transfer by default, and the individual players lack the ability to set up the connection in the way Dolphin does for standard file access.

However, I was able to avoid all of that junk and just do a direct user mount of the phone by:
1. Installing jmptfs
2. Plugging in the phone, leaving it unmounted
3. In android, set "Use USB for" to "File Transfer"
4. "jmptfs [name of mount directory]"

You should be able to point whatever music organizer to the mount then.
>>
>>99807728
i know that i can change the icon and accent color, but it is very limited on ubuntu. kali linux comes with both cool themes and wallpapers, not the boring one like ubuntu.
>>
I have alcatel 4g usb stick. It fails to work by design. It connects and works for about 1 minute. After that network is unavailable.
It works IF I boot into windows first and then reboot into linux without taking it out of the usb port.
Anyone know how to hack this? It doesn't show as device and I don't know what AT command it would need.

IK41VE1
>>
>>99808025
>Bus 003 Device 015: ID 1bbb:0908 T & A Mobile Phones Mobilebroadband
>sdc 8:32 1 0B 0 disk
>>
>>99796973
i understand what he's saying but a dog is so much easier to love than a person with real problems. i'm already shuddering from the burden such a person can be
>>
>>99807982
you don't get it. you can download any themes and wallpapers you want online. you can install the kde desktop environment is you want more customization. you can do anything
>>
>>99797161
He sounds like a lunatic because he's saying the truth and nobody likes to be told that.
>>
Anybody know what default font is used for wine programs? I want my whole desktop to have it as well.
>>
I just killed a metric fuck ton of gpg-agent processes that was using 60 GB of RAM.

Not sure what happened there. I probably need to reboot this machine.
>>
Is there a way to reboot to initramfs / initrd shell?
>>
hey /g/
windows user here, I downloaded the ubuntu iso, now how do I write it to my usb drive
I read somewhere that unetbootin is not recomended and the dd thing is only on linux I think
>>
>>99808926
rufus if you need a gui
>>
>>99808926
use ventoy its better than rufus and you only need to format your flash drive once.
>>
>>99808979
>>99809005
thank you I'll check out both
>>
>>99808862
break=mount
>>
archlinux is a joke
>xz happens
>just updood bro
>forum thread talking about it (updooting did nothing)
>CLOSED
>>
>>99809304
It was never vulnerable. Update. Don't Update. Do what you want. It doesn't matter.
>>
Hi, I'm pretty new to Linux, I want to configure my install of arch to mimic bunsenlabs' distro with openbox and all the stuff they list on their website for the distro (which is based off of bookworm) https://www.bunsenlabs.org
I can't think of too many issues I'd have with what I have thought of to accomplish this (just importing their configs and scripts from their repos) but I'm wondering if anyone here has tried something similar and run into problems I can keep in mind beforehand
>>
>arch is knowingly distributing malware because it allegedly doesn't work on their meme os
oh nonono
>>
>>99809406
There's no allegedly about it. They do not patch sshd with Systemd-notify support.
>>
>>99809435
but they still distribute malware
>>
Is there a way to make firefox's scrollbar use my gtk skin?
>>
>>99809477
except they don't
>>
>>99809477
They don't. >>99809637 is correct and you can even read the PKGBUILDS and the source of Xz yourself to confirm it if you want.

That's why idiotic threads made by the misinformed will be locked.

The malware in question targeted deb and rpm systems and Arch Linux is neither deb nor rpm. The affected code that built the malware was never activated under Arch Linux and even if it were it wouldn't do anything anyway.
>>
>>99809304
Do what you want because a Linux user is Free.
>>
>>99809272
what???
>>
Is there any risk in doing a BIOS update for my system in the way of bricking the Linux install?(Not bricking the BIOS itself)
>>
>>99810678
Your selected boot loader/manager might get reset and you'll have to set it again, depends on the vendor and how you flash it. Storage devices should not be touched at all, unless it offers to make a backup of the current BIOS or something.
>>
>>99810746
So worst case scenario outside of the BIOS fucking out is that I may have to chroot and reinstall grub?
>>
>>99810760
don't do this it installs mustard gas
>>
>>99810760
Nah dude, I mean the EFI vars pointing to Grub might get cleared during the flash and you may have to set it again from the BIOS setup. Again, storage should not be touched at all.
>>
>>99810818
Oh, you mean like BIOS boot order?
>>
>>99786889
nala's undo function is pretty neat but its got a gay name
>>
>>99799642
You posted a guy who worked with the communists good job
>>
>>99801752
>>99805736
It actually does do absolutely nothing. If I source my screenrc inside screen it says it's an unknown option. So the manual is just wrong then.
>>
File: lol?.png (4 KB, 203x65)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
What the fuck is wrong with Libreoffice?
I just wanted to insert an image and it started to create blank pages infinitely.
>>
File: 1684463504775747.jpg (40 KB, 391x318)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>see weird `pager` process
>man pager
>it's less
what the fuck
>>
>/usr/bin/pager -> /etc/alternatives/pager
>/etc/alternatives/pager -> /usr/bin/less
fuck off
>>
>>99807159
>>99807281
I had one like that too and it was Dolphin's built in terminal that created it.
>>
>>99809549
Try messing with these

//enable OS native theme
widget.non-native-theme.enabled false

//change scrollbar style 0-5
widget.non-native-theme.scrollbar.style 0
>>
Sublime Text seems to open quicker when using Wayland compared to when using X

I wonder why this is
>>
>>99808555
No, you can speak truth without sounding like a lunatic. RMS sounds like a lunatic because he eats toe skin and because he's wading into fields (social, political) in which he's not an expert. This is why his insights are so paper-thin and self-evident — because he's got a freshman understanding of the situation.
>>
>>99811350
#justdebianthings
>>
>>99798810
yea i'm using btrfs with snapper on arch, i haven't used it anywhere else so i couldn't comment on any differences
>>
>>99805648
not him but i recall a long ass time ago there were gvfs/fuse/some/kio/something idk i was new to linux that did this, also one where you could browse a music cd as if it were already mp3, and opening/copying the files transcoded them on the fly
having a quick look for something like that i found this;
https://github.com/nschlia/ffmpegfs
haven't tested it, but in theory you could mount your media with this, then share the mount with syncthing, which will enable syncing transcoded versions without keeping a permanent copy of them
that example is read-only, so you'd only be able to manipulate files on the server (you could use a regular share for file management)
>>
>>99811340
what's the question? less is the most popular pager these days
>>
>>99810559
in your kernel arguments
>>
>>99809406
no?
>The malicious code path does not exist in the arch version of sshd, as it does not link to liblzma. However, out of an abundance of caution, we advise users to avoid the vulnerable code in their system as it is possible it could be triggered from other, un-identified vectors.
>>
>>99809406
>>99812876
oh and that's from a post where they changed the package to not include the infected code
>Resolution ========== Upgrade to 5.6.1-2. # pacman -Syu "xz>=5.6.1-2" The problem has been fixed upstream in version 5.6.1.
>>
>>99811419
Unfortunately, both of these settings don't do anything.
>>
>>99806766
Great. I hope that Konsole is better than QTerminal in other ways too.

>>99807664
>>99807982
I get the impression that you are a child or teen, plus
>Kali Linux
Literal script kiddie

>advice
Learn vim and regex. I use the vim program a lot, can't imagine not using it.
>>
>>99813092
>can't imagine not using it.
you just can't exit it
>>
Should I give EndeavourOS a try or just go with Arch? Moving from Ubuntu
>>
>>99813287
pretty much the same shit
>>
New thread:
>>99813318
>>
>>99804286
>I don't think we have anything quantum proof available for general use yet
Comment on wXwfuMIC0k0:

@SurfinTheKaliYuga

Seems sus as fuck that this is happening so shortly after Apple announcing post quantum encryption coming to iMessage. Just sayin’.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.