[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 28 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

4chan Virtual YouTuber Contest Final Round - 4chan Pass users can now vote on one of the top 20 entries!

File: nightmare.jpg (79 KB, 386x661)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
Guys, what the fuck do you work and what do you earn? How many years of experience?
Any tips for someone starting out? How do you rise? Pls no larping

Okay, I'm fresh out of uni and about to start my first full time job in gd next month.
I expected to earn quite little when starting but it's actually less than I expected. I start a position as a web/graphic designer at a pretty large company in Germany. I'm about to earn 30k€ a year (gross / 35.000 USD) for a 40 hours a week job. I'm okay with eating shit for a year or two but if this shit doesnt increase within the next few years I will legit switch the career or try to earn more freelancing. I'm 22 and willing to learn anything that results in more money
>>
>>349981
Dropped out of uni for a job that was low-paying but in the industry, like $28k/year.

Ate shit for 2 years, but learned 10 times as much as I would have in uni.

Shit-eating job turned into a $50k gig with people working under me. Don't know anyone in the industry, have no connections and never bothered to "network".

Just get good at what you do and do good work. It'll pay off.
>>
>>349984
do you still work for a company/agency or are you on your own now?
>>
>>349998

same company I ate shit for but in a senior designer position.
>>
>>349981
No college, no tech school. GED
Started 18 years ago when I was 16.
Make $120k per year as a remote work-from-home-office Creative Director for a multi-million dollar company.

Made $150k+ back when I was freelancing, but no 401k or medical, plus higher taxes.

Made 80k by the time I was 25 years old, as an art director for a local magazine.

College teaches graphic design the wrong way, glad I skipped it. My friends who went to schools for graphic design are all chronically unemployed or working in retail. I've also re-trained interns who were taught the most horrific methods of counterproductive designing.

Also, I am a woman. "Gender Pay Gap", my ass. Suck it, fags.
>>
>>349981
PS: I started out making $7 per hour. Gotta work your way up.
>>
>>350000
80k for working on a local magazine? What the actual fuck?
I once spoke with the (then) senior art director of a pretty large agency in Germany called Scholz & Friends. He made 47k€ a year. The agency is pretty fucking large actually.
>>
>>350000
I want to know more about the re-train. I went to college for basically graphic design and want to know if what i'm doing is the right way or the wrong way. Can you give some for instances please. thank you, faggot.
>>
>>350005
Yeah, it all depends on how much you pour into your career. That is the excellent thing about the USA here. There is opportunity to go above and beyond, if you are willing to work for it. The only reason people are unemployed here or doing poorly is apathy. I grew up poor and was given no advantage. I simply worked my ass off and constantly strove to improve. When you go the extra step, anything is possible.
>>
>>350006
Happy to help. I enjoy seeing people break free from the brainwash (gotta keep in mind, all those teachers and college professors are failed designers. They could not create a career for themselves, so they settled on teaching for a MASSIVELY lower salary. Never trust anyone who is unsuccessful to give you career advice or training) - first of all, which program do you primarily use for design? If you use multiple programs, list them.
>>
>>350009
primarily Adobe Illustrator, actually, all illustrator.
>>
>>350014
That's a good start. I've actually had to train interns who were taught to primarily rely on Photoshop, which is a grave mistake. Photoshop = shopping photos. Illustrator = illustration... InDesign = laying out your illustrations when complete, if multi-page.

Can you show me an example of your work? I need to see what we're working with. Also how many years of school or experience you have, and how old you are.
>>
>>350000
>>34 years old making 120k/yr
>>creative director
>>posting on 4chan and calling people fags

you're either full of shit or autistic. possibly both.

>>350006
your best bet if you're trying to update your skillset is to start at the production level and work your way up. production jobs fucking suck ass but the knowledge/skills you'll gain are crucial if you want to design at a higher level.

you also need to have industry awareness and know how it makes money in your immediate locale. graphic design in Seattle is immensely different from say Vegas or San Fran. each have their own dominant industries and the designer's skillsets vary depending on the city they live in.
>>
>>350038
>you're either full of shit or autistic. possibly both.
Oh yeah? Send me your Linkedin URL and I'll drop you a line. Got hoards of endorsements, recommendations and proven publications. The most creative people have the best senses of humor. So do those who will excel in life.
>>
>>350038
I'm here to help people with tough love. I have created internship programs where my interns went on to work for Pixar and other large corporations.
>>
>>350038
>you also need to have industry awareness and know how it makes money in your immediate locale

Bad advice. Never settle for your immediate locale if your aim is to focus on actual career building. Focus on mobility, remote work, and/or relocation. Otherwise, don't even try.
>>
>>350038
>production level
Would not recommend working more than a year at the production level, and if you do, ALWAYS have side freelance work. Otherwise you will have absolutely nothing to build your resume or portfolio with, and you will spend the rest of your life taking orders as someone else's butt boy.
>>
>>350039
>>LinkedIn

yeah you're definitely a boomer if you think that old white dude circle-jerk of a website has any legitimacy outside of being 45 year old Frank's and Roger's attempt at modernizing their dated industry knowledge and skillsets.
>>
>>350045
>old white dude circle-jerk of a website
I'm curious if you're actually in a position to criticize LinkedIn, it has brought me many opportunities. If you're not using it, you should definitely start. Also, not a boomer. I'm an older millennial closer to Gen-x, before people started being born with lukewarm diarrhea for brains.
>>
File: thumbnail_IMG_0480.jpg (198 KB, 1280x960)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>350038
>you're either full of shit or autistic. possibly both.
Faggot.
>>
>>350050
That's my base weekly, not counting yearly bonus, plus benefits and retirement. Neck yourself, loser.
>>
>>350050
being this insecure
>>
>>350048
you sound like the type of dude to have "marketing ninja" or "growth-hacker" in your profile
>>
>>350000
Wanna get married? I'm an average looking white male in early twenties
>>
>>349981
>Guys, what the fuck do you work
Junior Designer at an agency
>and what do you earn?
£19,000
>How many years of experience?
Technically none, just graduated. Few years GD experience outside of official employment.
>>
File: 3blindmice-01.png (1.83 MB, 2128x1683)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB PNG
>>350036
I just graduated and I have a job at a rental agency doing all the marketing material. lemme shill out my insta though so everyone can call me shit. @jake_art_trash
>>
>>350070
>just graduated
>at 45
really makes you think
>>
>>350065
>type of dude
I'm a woman. In my 30s but not a roastie. Happily married. Republican. Conservative.
>"marketing ninja" or "growth-hacker"
Wrong. I would encourage those who do, to kill themselves as soon as possible.
>>
>>350066
>Wanna get married?
I'm already married and I'm at least 10 years older than you :)
>>
>>350070
I am going to add you on IG right now. Please don't doxx me on here (but you'll at least be able to confirm to the naysayers that I am a woman, lol). Your work is actually great, I think the problem is you're too creative for corporate.
>>
>>350070
PS: I do not have any of my art on Instagram right now (it's just photos of daily life and videos of piano practice, my dogs, etc) - just an old abandoned FB business profile - TMI on there though, I will send you a direct message to that link.
>>
>>350074
>>Your work is actually great
>>
>>350079
Way to post the weakest photo in his portfolio. I can see a lot of talent by the way he uses color and his ability to construct vector profiles of faces. Not a lot of designers possess that kind of talent anymore. They use clipart and stock photos.
>>
>>350079
lmao Yeah that is a real shit pic, just thought I had to keep my insta going so people pay attention to it. Don't care though, keeping it in there
>>
>>350070

Have you ironed out a discipline you want to pursue? Pentooling people's faces isn't going to get you anywhere, and certain disciplines will bring more $$ than others (i.e. a UI/UX designer will bring in twice as much as a dude that's really good at throwing together gig-posters)

I suggest looking into some literature on typography, maybe grid systems. The should be links in the wiki.

And definitely take the critique you see here with a grain of salt.

>>350072
I know you probably have a shitload of free time between sharing Trump memes and recording #WalkAway videos, but people don't come here to get their heads inflated or find LinkedMeme connections.
>>
>>350088
Thank you for the reply. Yeah I do need to figure out a discipline and where I want to take Graphic Design and my career. You are correct that penning faces really isn't a great career choice, but God Damn it's fun. I do need to look at the wiki and read more about graphic design. But thank you for the reply, I really appreciate that.
>>
Can larping art director employ me? Pls gib
>>
>>350073
>I'm at least 10 years older than you :)
I caught that somewhere else in the thread, not a dealbreaker

>I'm already married
This is though
>>
>>350050
OP here,I had an internship as a junior ui/ux designer for 6 months, now starting as a web deigner full time. Would you say going in this ui/ux direction is the right way to gain some money? Should I try to swap my workplace after a year or two to earn more money somewhere else and slowly climb up this way or work my ass off here and see if a promotion is possible in a reasonable time? My gf is still in uni/ currently learning at ironhack. Neither of us are good with networking and stuff, therefore I don't see us building our own agency or anything. Any thoughts?
I'm just glad that there are people here with actual experience, most people working in the industry i've met were withdrawn, especially when it comes to money. Also sorry if all this sounds like money is all i care about. thats not the case, I'm just kinda worried about the future a lot lol
>>
>>350074
If you think of yourself as such a hot show, why do you even bother coming here? I've never seen anything good on this board ever.
>>
>>350128
>If you think of yourself as such a hot show

I think of myself as a success - I grew up poor and had zero advantages. That being said, I know other people can do what I've done too.

>why do you even bother coming here?

Tough love and career advice. I like helping others.

> I've never seen anything good on this board ever.

I've seen a lot of good talent, that has been misguided, and needs to be repurposed and reformatted. The education system is destroying graphic designers. Real life application helps break the programming. When you design IN the industry, there is no margin for error. You try harder and learn all the tricks necessary to ensure a lucrative career. There is no room for failure, because companies and money are on the line, not grades.
>>
>>350123
>Would you say going in this ui/ux direction is the right way to gain some money?

ABSOLUTELY. You are on the right track for sure. UX/UI is the best route to take in today's world. Plus, you can use what you learn about the user experience for literally everything - people seem to think this only applies for mobile apps and websites, but print layout, packaging, marketing, it is all very important to apply these tricks.

> Yes, never spend more than a year at a job that is obviously a dead end, or one which short changes their employees. I would bust your ass there as if they were paying you six figures, and then on your one year anniversary of your employment, have a meeting with the big boss - bring all your accomplishments to the table, and very plainly ask what your future is with this company, and that you want to make sure you are in a position which will permit and foster career growth. Don't just ask for a raise - stress the importance that you need to advance your career.

It's good to worry about the future. It's all good, I understand. It's never just the money - it is all the hard work and satisfaction BEHIND the money that makes it feel so good... for me, that's how I feel at least. I never thought it was possible at some point. I busted my ass and sacrificed a lot of off-time and comfort for what I have now. Know that it will be a trade off but well worth it. While your peers who spent this time shutting off after 40 mindless hours per week to enjoy themselves might be having a grand old time right now, check in with them years later when they're stuck and have no idea how to survive upon retirement. Giving up partying and spending more time on my career from age 16-25, enabled me to have my entire life dialed in by 26 - paid vacations to Hawaii and Europe, first class flights, nice clothes, good food and restaurants, nice car, never having to worry or stress about anything.
>>
>>350130
Whoops I was trying to reply to the "Should I try to swap my workplace" on the last one - forgot to include, so some of the text is green. My apologies.
>>
>>350099
>Can larping art director employ me?
Not larping here. Send me your portfolio and LinkedIn URL. We are currently not hiring but I can keep you on file if you possess the right abilities.
>>
>>350099
Once our company recovers from the 25% tariffs, we will probably return to hiring. Minor setback, but good in the long run.
>>
>>350128
Also, the people who hide in the shadows and aren't rehearsed are the ones with the greatest potential. I'd rather help out of the box thinkers, than ballsy retards who flaunt their college degrees that taught them how to fail at graphic design. Would rather help people recover from the garbage trash education system and build a lucrative career. If I can do it, you can do it.
>>
>>350136
Do you contract people outside the USA?
>>
>>350139
No, we do not. Our corporate HQ is located in the USA. We are big on employing US citizens only, which is pretty unique for our industry.
>>
>>350139
If you ever decide to relocate to the US legally on a work visa, however, we would hire someone under those circumstances. We love legal immigrants. Our founder is a legal immigrant who came to the US 30 years ago with literally nothing, and built an empire. very inspiring :)
>>
>>350136
What are the traits that qualify someone as "hiding in the shadows" for you?

Also, what steps do you/your company take to locate these individuals and how do they benefit your work?

Thanks for your time.
>>
>>350000
what's your cocksucking technique?
>>
>>350141
"not larping"
>>
I don't know how many posts here are trolls vs. reality, but I've never understood the hate for tech school on this board. I achieved a lazy Associates degree (lazy because I turned the 2 year program into a 4 year, as I took my sweet time and 1/3 of what I learned was on my own at home). I'm glad I took the classes though, and the quality of your learning experiences in such schools depends on the quality of the school and/or instructors employed to teach. I had 90% great instructors who not only challenged me and taught me well, but also introduced me to new areas of digital media that I would not otherwise have touched on. I look at my tech school experience this way: I was presented with a variety of graphic design and media areas to gain introductory and in some cases mid level extensive knowledge base in. My photography class got me into that subject and my first job after the schooling was in photography for a local art magazine. That would not have ever happened if I hadn't been introduced to that area via my schooling. I have since sold some of my photography at a couple of booth-set art shows, for fun, as a side to my more direct GD full time jobs I've had (2) which have spanned over the past 5 years. My time at the tech school taught me InDesign in depth. That was a great thing, because the actual full time job I got after the magazine photography was for a print advertiser which was strictly InDesign and a little Illustrator oriented (customer provided files). My Illustrator knowledge (vector general) led me to where I am working now, though now I use and vastly prefer CorelDRAW. I almost went into web design/code thanks to schooling, and I've been able to use that knowledge to the benefit of the company I work for now by doing some of our web stuff. The audio/video classes also helped me personally in my own music and video dabbling. Maybe there are a lot of shitty instructors in shitty tech schools, but I know that I benefited from a good one.
>>
File: Adept_rectangle_Final.png (105 KB, 5000x2096)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
>>350000
hey, can I ask for a tip?

I'm a GED with no higher education (can't afford it) and I've been looking for ways to get into the game. Don't mind clawing my way up and taking low paying jobs.

my locale is almost all small businesses owned by boomers with zero concept of marketing/branding, and that includes the GD agencies (almost all GD places around here are micro businesses that aren't hiring)

I've been trying to put together a portfolio of basically just 'demo' designs since I cant really sell myself until I have one. Chicken and egg.

my plan is to basically advertise myself to the businesses around here, but I don't really know what to charge them? Like, I don't know how to judge what a good price is.

bonus pic, logo I just did for a friend
>>
Is there any way to get a job without working for a marketing company? I dropped out of school for graphic design years ago when I became disillusioned with selling shit people don't need for some asshole to make millions.
>>
File: magcover2.jpg (179 KB, 558x741)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
I'm not going to address anyone in particular but I would really appreciate some direction, from any professional people in this field. I have a year left getting and associates degree in Graphic Design and Advertising at this shitty community college I go to. Despite this, do I actually have a chance in this industry? Right now I'm 28 years old, I've been drawing for years and actually know how to illustrate. I've had multiple free internships over the summer, I have a job as a lab monitor and in a print shop at my school designing posters and brochures and logos. I also have another paid internship I'm currently working on. My gpa is high and I have recommendations. I have a resume and a portfolio. I feel I'll be able to get some low-level job somewhere in my field but I'm not really certain. I have a lot of doubts, especially since I'm older. What do you guys think?
>>
>>350008
Ugh, this shit again. Of course you're a cheerleader for what paid you well.
For every dipshit like this there's five who worked harder and lost, as well as five who were better but were unlucky.
The whole 'make your own luck' meme is good for getting people off their asses, but it was made up in the late 19th century by robber barons ffs.
>>
>>351832

It's American survivorship bias and propaganda. Utter bullshit. I bet that anon picked themselves up by their bootstraps, too.
>>
>>349999
And they say climbing the corporate ladder is dead
>>
>>351832

It's actually really funny because that anon is 100% some white Stacy sorority girl who thinks not getting a Lexus for your 16th birthday means you had "zero advantages".
>>
>>350039
>creative people have the best senses of humor

Not shitting on your worth ethic and where youve come
But being an edgelord who throws around faggot unironically is not a good sense of a humor, you just sound like a dork trying to jerk themselves off to random people on a cantonese basket weaving board to build your sense of ego
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg (65 KB, 800x650)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
I went from 32,000 junior position in 2015 and now 3 yrs later im hopping from 45k into desired 50-60k intermediate positions

I plan to be making 80k by the time i'm 30 years old.

There's money in GD baby. Just put in the years and work your way up from shitty company to good company.
>>
File: 1507673954259.jpg (9 KB, 225x225)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>351863
thanks for sharing anon. The struggle is real
>>
>>349999
Checked
>>
>>350050
You sound like you actually get paid a lot of money, but the attitude ruined all of your chances to get any respect on this board.
>>
>>349981
I'm 23, studying GD in college, hope we're all gonna make it anons
>>
>not being a social media wizard or a photoshop sorcerer or an illustrator grand magus or a linkedin illusionist or a microsoft paint witch
>>
>>349981
Work: prepress and design at a printshop, occasional freelance. Not earning what I think I'm worth, and sniffing around for greener pastures. But I am getting health insurance, and access to the printers for personal projects, so it's sort of OK for now.

Years: as a designer, about 4ish, but formally educated in design-adjacent subjects.

Tips: be interesting as a human being, and try to demonstrate through your interview how you'd meld with the team. You'll probably be spending 40+ hours a week with them, so being able to gracefully talk about shit you don't care about, but need to politely feign interest in is golden. People like talking about themselves, so back off to let them.

Another tip: when making a printed document, don't you ever fucking forget to add at minimum .125" of bleed. And don't forget that the gamut of CMYK is less than 1/2 of the possible range of RGB.
>>
I’m not op but reading this thread. What is production level? Is that just producing assets based on exactly what clients want?

Also how essential is a uni degree for a gd job? And is it okay if my portfolio is full of personal projects rather than freelance work?
>>
>>352219
Most companies have lower level artists that work strictly on preparing assets for production. Production work is just the "labor" of a design project, nothing conceptual. Strictly technical work, but you learn a lot about how higher level professionals and industry directors operate since you're always present for the last leg of the project.
>>
30k in germany is pretty good. because you don't have to pay for health care and a bunch of other shit, european salaries are lower.

lrn2market rates
>>
>>352224
I'm a production designer, and sometimes it involves telling the designer of a project that their files are shit, and to fix some aspect. In print, it involves not having bleed, or the designer didn't specify a PMS colour (despite it being called out specifically in their style guides), or pointing out that their photos are low-resolution, pixelated, noisy garbage, and they probably should get A) new photograph, or B) remember to include the photo in the packaged InDesign file.

>>352219
>How essential uni degree
Probably not terribly important, but formal education can help develop good practices and respect for deadlines. It's also good for networking.
>Personal projects
Ideally, freelance or paid work is better, but there's no harm in personal projects, provided that they are relevant to the job at hand (i.e. don't put a page of Naruto fan art if the job is designing licensed knickknacks that would be sold at places like Michaels or Hobby Lobby).

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.