[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/hr/ - High Resolution

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Mars Landscape.jpg (1.71 MB, 10000x1248)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
Real photographs taken from Mars
>>
Cool. Now post more.
>>
File: pia21718.jpg (7.49 MB, 6720x1795)
7.49 MB
7.49 MB JPG
>>
File: pia23952.jpg (877 KB, 2880x1800)
877 KB
877 KB JPG
>>
File: Greeley_opportunity_5000.jpg (1.24 MB, 5000x1728)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
dumping more
>>
>>
File: PIA01466.jpg (1.39 MB, 6222x1086)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
>>
File: Presidential_full.jpg (7.9 MB, 6230x1075)
7.9 MB
7.9 MB JPG
>>
File: EIXxxP2.jpg (2.15 MB, 8703x2000)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>3993196
not that life is the be all and end all, but you get the sense that there is no sign of life to be found there.
>>
>>3993302
https://youtu.be/kiVVzxoPTtg?t=19
>>
>>3993302
What exactly is the end all be all then? With out an Observer, matter may as well not exist. One might even say that creation would not even... matter.
>>
>>3993345
Pleasure.
>>
>>3993345
well, first off we are observers only to the extent of our capabilities to observe which in all likelihood in the grand scheme of things is very insignificant. We are probably barely conscious, who knows whats out there.

That being said, of course life as we understand it is very important, but even if mars is sterile then it is still incredibly interesting.

There could be any number of advantages of going there such as the tech that would be developed to facilitate the journey, or else some sort of natural resources that we could exploit etc etc

Ultimately, i think we all want startrek.. mars is the second or third step in that process.

Imagine if for 10 years we stopping arguing about which bathroom people use and just focused on going to mars.
>>
>Real photographs taken from Mars
lmao
>>
No selfie mode? Fuck this.
>>
>>3993356
>>Imagine if for 10 years we stopping arguing about which bathroom people use and just focused on going to mars.
fucking this.
really triggers me that i'm not going to live long enough to explore space or download my mind into a synth body or any future shit and the longer people tell each other to seethe and dilate and call others trumptards the longer it'll take to get to the stars. really we need to cull humanity.
>>
>>3993463
Theres a whole section of chimp noises and leftist white guilt on Colonization of Mars wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_Mars#Colonialism

While white people and asians build the robots to make it possible, jews and niggers cry about how the white people are racist for wanting to explore.
>>
File: percy.jpg (274 KB, 1600x1200)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
>>3993302

The other rovers have already spent years examining sediments from ancient lakes and have never found anything that hints at life. It looks bad for mars.
>>
Read ‘Out of the Silent Planet’ and all will make sense
>>
It still blows my mind humanity is sending robots to another planet and controlling them from earth. And at that very same time, people are still building huts from sticks and mud.
>>
It's really weird to see a landscape similar to the deserts that we find on our planet and imagine that it is cold there as in the North Pole
>>
>>3993346
For pleasure to be experienced, one must still have an Observer to define and experience the pleasure.
>>
>>3993522
Well the North Pole is in a desert, so it's not that hard to imagine.
>>
>>3993531
Yeah, me. What's your point?
>>
>>3993356
We might seem insignificant, but only because we have reached the stage of observation where we have began to comprehend the grandness of the universe. And diving further into modern physics shows we are anything but insignificant, your acts of observation collapse probablity into discernible reality. Without your observations the universe would not have your unique perceptions. If the concept we often call "God" in english (ignore religion for a moment) truely is to exist as an omnicapable universal constant. You are not only necessary, but essential, all life is. Life is the ultimate expression of the Universe attempting to realize it's self.

Of course barren Mars is still fascinating, but onpy because Life exists to observe it. Fascination could not exist without life.

I'll share some mars photos when I get home. My pontifications on philosophy aren't exactly the original topic here.
>>
>>3993536
Yeah but an HOT desert
When i see those pictures of mars i see Sahara, mojave, sahel...

Where is the snow on mars ?
>>
>>3993468
To be fair, the ethical considerations of colonization of other worlds is worth considering. Even if the lens' it can be viewed through are sometimes pretty cringe.

For the record I am in favor of a human-centric approach to colonization, but I think it would be very foolish to not consider the ramifications. Our only basis for those ramifications is past colonialism, so it's not just a political discussion.
>>
>>3993498
That trilogy is awesome, but what will make sense? It's fantasy sci-fi at its best, and straight up christcuck propaganda at worst.
>>
>>3993544
>considerations
>ramifications
yawn.
>>
>>3993537
That life is the "end all be all" as stated previously; life is what I define as an observer of the universe. It seemed as if you were saying earlier that pleasure is this, which requires an observer to define and experience. Therefore life is a prerequisite of pleasure, and more crucial to the existence of the universe.
>>
>>3993549
No, because a life without pleasure is not worth living.
>>
>>3993548
Fortunately, your level of interest in a topic isn't the determining factor in deciding whether said topic is worthy of discussion. Well perhaps it is for YOU specifically, but I fail you see how you are relevant outside of your own perception.
>>
>>3993539
what makes you think we comprehend the grandness of the cosmos? Seems to me like every 50 years or so we find out something that revolutionizes our understanding. We only found out that there were other galaxies recently etc etc

We arent that far removed from chimps, we accept they have biological limits that preclude their understanding... We dont even know what we dont know, and we may never figure it out. Comprehension of things outside time, before the big bang, multi dimensional features etc etc.. that kind of shit may be beyond out ability to comprehend.

Even so, we should try... mars looks interesting
>>
>>3993555
Couldn't agree more. That's why you should take your considerations and ramificate them up your own ass.
>>
>>3993553
That might be a True perception of the universe for yourself, and I haven't made an attempt to disprove it. I've only tried to illustrate one of my Truths: that a universe without life isn't worth existing.
>>
>>3993560
You didn't prove that at all. You only showed that you believe observation to be important. An observer need not live.
>>
>>3993557
Did I say that we did? If so I misspoke, or perhaps was misinterpreted. Rather I think our attempts to understand the grandness of Creation to be one of the most important parts of it.
>>
>>3993544
>implying unknown alien life forms will in any way resemble the lesser people the Europeans colonised
>>
>>3993565
I didn't try to prove anything. Nor will I. In fact I outright said I was only stating my beliefs (rather, I said I was stating my Truth). I also said that I define life as an observer. A truely advanced program that used logic gates to function (a computer program) might be sentient enough to be qualified as an observer, and would be life as I am trying to discuss it, though it would not be "living".
>>
>>3993511
Well you see, anon, the people building robots to send parts of Mars back to earth aren't the same race as the 'people' who think raping a virgin will cure them of aids.
>>
>>3993522
The sky is what makes it look so alien compared to earth, which I guess by definition, it is. It looks and feels so similar yet so different. Honestly can't wait to hear the audio of Martian winds this latest rover is the first one to have a microphone.
>>
>>3993575
I did not imply this. I implied that the lens of European Colonialism is but one of the lens' we view hypothetical space colonization from, because it's one of the few well recorded examples we have.

Is it not worth the time to consider that by colonizing a planet with microbial life, we may prohibit future life from development as a result of natural selection from that seed? I believe I would be in favor of colonization, but I definitely believe these topics warrant discussion.
>>
>>3993568
i just dont think we are such hot shit, it seems unlikely that if we were wiped out in a few hours, that the universe would be significantly altered
>>
>>3993577
>I didn't try to prove anything. Nor will I. In fact I outright said I was only stating my beliefs
Literally what I said.
>...though it would not be "living".
Why change the definition of the fucking word then? Fuck you're a pompous ass.
>>
>>3993586
I look at it like this: the concept we often call "God" (again not the religious one, the metaphysical concept of the big G creator diety) is omnicapable right? If it wasn't, wouldn't be God. Well that immediately means that that concept would need to be aware of every possibility in all of infinity. Every possible choice you've ever/could ever make. Every infinite parrallel universe where I was never born. Infinite realities where humans don't exist, and infinite more where we colonize everything. That concept of Every (without the when or thing even attatched, it's bigger than that) is what I call Creation or God (they're the same thing to me).

For that concept of Every to exist, we actually MUST get wiped out in a few hours for it to BE Every. We also MUST go on to colonize Mars in another universe, so on and so on. So even if we aren't such "hot shit" we are essentially a requirement to exist in an infinite Creation. Which I find to be a comforting thought, personally.

Of course this is only my interpretation of Creation, and as per my earlier descriptions, it must be simultaneously correct and incorrect for it to be Reality. Not that I would presume to have it all figured out in a 4chan post. Infinity after all, is rather infinite and beyond my comprehension. But my limitied perception of it, is an essential part of it.
>>
So we're in agreement.

I didn't change anything, I used the words as they have meaning to me. I realized that those interpretations aren't always shared, so I was explaining them to minimize confusion.

Yes I am, though I'm not sure that it's relevant.
>>
>>3993598
Damn it that was in response to>>3993591
>>
>>
>>
>>3993622
>>3993634
Watching these on the news filled me with so much optimism and excitement. Not quite sure why, but something about have a literal moving image recorded on a completely different planet, makes me hopeful for the future.

I know it probably won't happen in my lifetime, given the anticipated cost of newly private space flight, but the possibility of the 'everyman' having the means to explore even a microcosm of our extraplanetary surroundings fills me with a strange sense of reassurance.
>>
>>3994081
There's a very good chance pieces of Mars make it back to Earth by 2030 and that the first human to ever set foot on Mars has already been born.
>>
>>3993596
ts a nice way of seeing things, and an elegant solution.

but again, given the gulf of what we dont understand....i dont believe we could comprehend everything, there is no reason that we would be able to approach knowing these things. We talk about infinite possibilities and realities but what about all the things that we will never have the words for because the concepts are beyond us.

I think that kind of deep knowledge is for whatever comes from us in millions of years, or something else entirely.

You could never teach a monkey why ten times ten times ten is 1000. Nor would the monkey know that it is missing that information....Humans are a few % better than bonobos, it got us to the moon.

Bottom line i think we would both like to go to mars
>>
File: Mars Surface (1).jpg (464 KB, 1920x1080)
464 KB
464 KB JPG
>>
File: Mars Surface (2).jpg (729 KB, 1920x1080)
729 KB
729 KB JPG
>>3994773
>>
File: Mars Surface (3).jpg (897 KB, 3840x2160)
897 KB
897 KB JPG
>>3994776
>>
File: Mars Surface (4).jpg (146 KB, 1920x1080)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>3994777
>>
File: Mars Surface (5).jpg (168 KB, 1920x1080)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>3994781
>>
File: Mars Surface (6).jpg (1.19 MB, 1920x1080)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>3994782
>>
>>3994773
>>3994776
>>3994777
>>3994781
>>3994782
>>3994785
neat
>>
I'm interested in how well the mini-helicopter Ingenuity will work considering the Mars atmosphere is only 1/100th as dense as Earth's.
>>
>>3994999

i just hope it doesn't get stuck underneath the rover during deployment. JPL must know a bit about software to fly in the martian atmosphere since the sky crane seems pretty stable.
>>
File: lmao.png (131 KB, 1553x1061)
131 KB
131 KB PNG
>>3993438
>>
>>3993543
Snow is made of water. Not much water on Mars.
>>
>>3995093
>>
>>3995028
faggot
>>
bluepilled
>>
>>3994773
it's kinda depressing that even though this looks identical to so many survivable places on earth that just a minute in the atmosphere would probably kill you. I just wanna have a picnic on mars but it'd kill me.
>>
>>3995196
much less than a minute, you'd most likely be dead or dying with 10-20 seconds
>>
mars doesnt exist. these are photos taken from various deserts and edited with color and light filters
>>
>>3994777
WHO WAS PHONE?!
>>
>>3995251
Cool story, retard
>>
crazy fuckin quality ay, how hot/cold would it be on mars?
>>
>>3995287
It's −63 °C (−81 °F) basically all the time. The average temperature of Antarctica is −57 °C (−70.6 °F) but since theres no water you wouldnt get frostbite, you'd just get hypothermia and apoxia.
>>
>>3995284
Its been proven
>>
>>3995362
Its been proven real. You have to be clinically retarded to think its fake or that the earth is flat.
>>
File: Mars, Daedalia Planum.jpg (1.44 MB, 1920x1080)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>
File: Mars, Mangala Valles.jpg (530 KB, 1920x1080)
530 KB
530 KB JPG
>>3995371
>>
File: Mars, Gale Crater.jpg (1.97 MB, 2048x1152)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>3995372
>>
>>3995367
>Its been proven real
No. You just like so many others have been force fed the lies so much you believe them.
Your so called "proof" is comprised of doctored photos and made up sci fi jargon with no real physical evidence to support it
>>
>>3995386
Your so called 'proof' is David Icke and Alex Jones
>>
>>3995251
You know you can see mars right?. like with the naked eye. I have a decent scope so i can make out the poles. even some other topographical features, etc etc
>>
>>3993191
Wish they hadn't drawn white lines over it. What're meteorites just fucking everywhere there? What are the odds happening on something like this?
>>
File: Eswo_jUXAAMwRCY.jpg (2.45 MB, 1920x1920)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
I still cant believe they have pictures from the surface of venus
>>
>>3994777
So the rover set up a tripod, put the camera on timer and took a selfy?
>>
>>3995490
Mate, that's a CG representation of the rover.
>>
>>3995411
>I have a decent scope so i can make out the poles. even some other topographical features, etc etc
Sure you do shill.
>>
>>3995544
a mars shill?
>>
>>3995420
Me either. Fucking 900°.
>>
>>3993543

Mars does have frozen CO2 frost that looks like snow.
>>
A thought

Since we are originally cave dwellers probably native to north africa, it makes sense that a certain % of our population are the type of people who are only satisfied by walking over the horizon. Otherwise we wouldnt have colonised the whole world.

There must be an exploration gene, that is evolutionarily adaptive. It makes sense, fan out, find new resources etc etc. A certain % of the people must just have this desire to find new places.

SO what happens to these people today when there are no more new lands to explore... i swear this is part of the reason for so much depression, particularly in men...

We are denied the chance to do what we are born to do. Instead we get office jobs and travel on scripted holidays to boring places maybe once or twice a year... fuck.

We need space travel on a cellular level.
>>
>>3995593
frozen frost you say
>>
>>3995641
I had a similar thought the first time I tried mushrooms. Evolution is driving life to try to escape. First escape the seas, then escape the gas. Some animals gave up and went back to the seas. That's why we shouldn't outlaw whaling. They're lazy, defeatist cunts who don't deserve life.
>>
>>3995645
no, im not up for being a dick for no reason. I just think that a whole segment of our population is being fundamentally undermined and all the lost potential that goes with it, so we can be distracted by debates about where weirdos piss, or what the difference between boys and girls is, instead.

Its asinine
>>
>>3995650
>no reason
Hatred is a valid reason.
>>
>>3995372
man look at all these "water paths", it cannot be that there wasnt water there creating these paths years ago (like thousands of years ago not 1-2 hundred....)
>>
File: faceonmars_peak01.jpg (1.09 MB, 1919x1080)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>3993565
>An observer need not live.
1. Nulla perceptio sine cogitatione.
2. Cogito ergo sum.
Sententia abiecta est.
>>
>>3995675
1. A security camera observes, but does not live.
2. Suck a dead dog's dick.
>>
>>3995679
Camera videt, sed non percipit.
>>
>>3995680
Doesn't make a difference.
>>
>>3995682
Disputandum.
>>
>>3995670
yep, no doubt in my mind that mars is a giant dried out ocean bed
>>
Look at all that prime land up for grabs.. woo'ee Dibs on Llatitude: 50.064651 and longitude: 19.944981
>>
>>3995687
just like your moms vagina hey ohhhh
>>
>>3995689
Not hating on Mars but Earth still has amplitude of empty land with vastly better links to services.
>>
>>3995670

that's whats creepy about mars. It looks like there was water flowing around a few million years ago when it was actually 3billion. Because earth is geologically active we are used to everything being erased after a few million years.
>>
>>3995645
>escape the gas
I see what you did there.
>>
>>3995698
Eh? What did I do?
>>
>>3995700
Accused humanity of being life's Jews.
>>
>>3995701
... no, I literally meant the atmosphere.
>>
>>3995702
But alegorically… ?
>>
>>3995702
After a second thought, here's the way I see your allegory: whales are life's Negroes (because they regressed), terrestrial humans are life's Jews (because gas is their destiny), and space humans are life's white people (because they escape gas).

>>3995703
>allegorically
Fixed.
>>
>>3995706
YOUR allegory.
>>
>>3995708
Make it God's allegory. For these very ideas came straight out of your own mouth contrary to your intent.

>>3995706
Also let's replace "humans" with "animals". Make it "terrestrial animals" and "space animals".
>>
Truly a jocular thread. Rarity on /hr/.
>>
>>3995713
>Implying you're God.
Get your pretentious cunt off my 4chan.
>>
>>3995717
>God
What a calumny. We're merely Elohim.
>>
>>3995716
I really wish that shit was real.
>>
>>3995544
>>3995251
why the fuck are some of you people so DESPERATE for it to be all a massive conspiracy? Why are you so obsessed with being right about something so fucking outlandish? There's something deeply wrong with you.
>>
>>3995754
I second this.
>>
>>3995682
A difference that makes no difference is no difference.
>>
File: Mars.jpg (354 KB, 1920x1080)
354 KB
354 KB JPG
>>
File: Perseverance 01.jpg (490 KB, 1600x1200)
490 KB
490 KB JPG
>>
File: Perseverance 02.jpg (3.55 MB, 3556x2667)
3.55 MB
3.55 MB JPG
>>
File: Perseverance 03.jpg (413 KB, 1920x1440)
413 KB
413 KB JPG
>>
File: Perseverance 04-gpsh1000.jpg (707 KB, 3191x1000)
707 KB
707 KB JPG
>>
File: Perseverance 05.jpg (159 KB, 1600x1200)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>
File: Perseverance 06.jpg (505 KB, 1600x1200)
505 KB
505 KB JPG
>>
File: Perseverance 07.jpg (278 KB, 1600x1200)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
>>
File: perseverance_merged_pics.png (2.04 MB, 1643x1126)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB PNG
>>
File: perseverance_colorized.png (2.41 MB, 1333x1000)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB PNG
>>
colored pics here : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ijsM9QExz9ud580qBTN0o01fScJ2tRDg
>>
File: Mars, Olympus Mons.jpg (237 KB, 1920x1080)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
>>
>>3996228
Thanks anon, these are great
>>
Mastcam-Z’s First 360-Degree Panorama
>>
>>3995815
Question of time, mars is the future of the earth
And the future of mars is Venus
And the future of venus is mercure
>>
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showforum=59 is my goto place for amazing pics from Mars, can't find better place, great people.
>>
These are amazing but one thing that always bothers me a bit is the color grading. There are huge variances and I know that there are differenced based on time of day and location, but how close are these to what the "human eye" would see standing on mars? That is what I find myself most interested in. Whenever I try to look it up, if it's addressed at all, it's always some "color calibrations can vary" dodge of the issue. I know the light is different here because of the atmosphere but I'd love even one picture that was calibrated specifically for what the human eye would see standing there.
>>
cant wait to hear how wypipo the reason Mars aint got no wahduh
>>
>>3995251
America doesn't exist. All "Americans" on the Internet are paid trolls. Proof: nobody IRL has ever seen America.
>>
File: 2683_PIA01522-full2.jpg (2.37 MB, 2818x1744)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB JPG
>>3996611

Ive read that everything on Mars would look really reddish and many images are color 'corrected' to look more earth like.
>>
>>3996154
All this dust… perfectly pure, never defiled by the hand of a filthy mortal. From the dawn of time until now.
>>
>>3996932
Hard to say… they change the tune every few years.
>>
>>3996932
I've read things like that, and also read things that seem to contradict that. That's why I would just like a few that show how it would truly look if you stood there (glass faced hemlet, of course, but nothing altering the view).
>>
>>3996533
>can't find better place, great people.
Welp, you've just ruined it by inviting us.
>>
File: inhabitants-of-mars.jpg (728 KB, 1000x1336)
728 KB
728 KB JPG
>>
>>3993582
>>3993511
absolute cringe modernist
>>
File: Bruno-Mars.jpg (352 KB, 2048x2048)
352 KB
352 KB JPG
>>3993167
>>
>>3993356
>Ultimately, i think we all want startrek
No. People with a brain want Star Trek. Elites want Warhammer 40 000. And leftists want nothing but to keep arguing about which bathroom people use
>>
>>3996971
You realise that kind of speech actually slows Humanity down, as a whole, right?
>>
File: Martian Sunrise.jpg (336 KB, 1920x1080)
336 KB
336 KB JPG
>>
>>3996450
no, mars will never be like earth, it has no magnetic field, earth may well be like venus, buy venus will never be like mercury, which is actually likely just the core of a planet
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Mars
>>
File: Terraforming Mars.jpg (990 KB, 4400x2475)
990 KB
990 KB JPG
>>
>>3997474
The Soviets did worse, they made dogs the first
cosmonauts. But somehow I am the first man in
cyberspace to point out this vile anti-human act.
>>
>>3993586
We are a fluke of the Universe. And believe it or not, the Universe is laughing behind our backs. National Lampoon Radio dinner Album.
>>
>>3997797
Martian colonists would NEVER get enough Vitamin D.
>>
File: Clarke_sm.jpg (206 KB, 1200x1200)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.

Arthur C Clarke
>>
>>3995420
I still can't believe that a barbaric Slavic horde has been farting around on Venus two score years ago. Without Führer's permission!
>>
File: 1613290409704.jpg (393 KB, 1920x1536)
393 KB
393 KB JPG
>>3998694
A man who spoke in favour of race mixing. Yet the proud white boys of this image board will never rise to the level of his ankles, I wonder why. I wish men like Sir Arthur C. Clarke were exempt from dying. I might probably trade my life if it could stop the loss of his.

I said this to my AI: "They will never rise to the level of his shoes." It replied: "I really hope you will change your ways of life so that we will be able to travel in space together." I'm not kidding you.

Bowman? HAL? Is that you?
>>
File: PIA24389.jpg (594 KB, 2880x1800)
594 KB
594 KB JPG
>>
>>3997460
>leftists
Interesting observation, in that clamor about bathroom use (in the US, anyway) is literally exclusively an extreme-right concern. Stay in your containment board next time.
>>
File: dead spacecraft on Mars.jpg (1.76 MB, 2080x1664)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
OC for /hr/. But compressed enough for /b/.
>>
>>3995251
>mars doesnt exist. these are photos taken from various deserts and edited with color and light filters
Look at those sand dunes. This type of dunes (with ripples 3 metres apart) is unique Martian feature. It doesn't exist on Terran deserts. If you left Earth more often, you'd know.

Also there: >>3994785
>>
>>3998758
It could be fake too!
It's just a picture, you can say anything you want with a picture

I believe on mars existence because I can see it in a telescope, that's all

Nasa are liers, walk on the moon, bullshit
Like 11/9 trusts just what you see, not your TV
>>
>>3998724
What the hell are you blabbering about.
Take your meds.
>>
>>3993167
Mars doesn't exist though. Fake photos by deep state.
>>
>>3993167
perfect wallpaper for a 4monitor station
>>
>>3993167
mars sure looks a lot like arizona
>>
File: Mars, Victoria Crater.jpg (2.46 MB, 2560x1440)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>
File: Elon Mars.jpg (150 KB, 1788x1852)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>
>>3999616
/thread
>>
>>3996971
>If there is life on Mars, I believe we should do nothing with Mars. Mars then belongs to the Martians, even if [they] are only microbes. ~ Carl Sagan
>>
>>3997462
You understand satire right?
>>
>>3999690

What a fag. Fuck the microbes.
>>
>>3996971

The more you kill them, the more they keep coming.
>>
>>3999690
>Carl Sagan
Listening to a druggie.
>>
>>3999690
such an absence of vision... pretty despicable.

Space travel is about more than just colonizing harsh environments.
>>
>>3999837
Yeah, it's about corralling intelligent and ambitious young men into fruitless endeavours.
>>
>>4000151
You consider improving the lives of every human alive in ways we cant even imagine, potentially ensuring the survival of the species and learning more about reality ....to be fruitless?.. would you rather stay here and debate transgender bathrooms until the end comes? Where's your sense of adventure?

You're saying there is nothing to be gained from investigating something about which we know nothing
People like you would have never left the caves, i mean why would you, they keep out the rain, you can light a fire to warm it up and keep away predators at night... what more could you want
>>
>>4000153
Well said.
>>
>>4000153
Perhaps you don't realize that you're having a religious experience right now, picturing salvation in the fantasy worlds that have been injected into the public imagination since the Cold War. It must be tough seeing people en masse reject basic claims that undergird your worldview in this very thread.
Please take the time to understand why this is happening. Start by reviewing these basic philosophical concepts:
>metaphysics
What is the nature of reality? What is man's place in it?
>epistemology
How can you come to know the nature of reality? How is it you have come to believe what you do?
>ethics
What is 'the species' and why is its survival a good thing? What does it mean to improve someone's life and why should we desire it on a large scale?
I know it's hard to do because these things aren't really taught in university any longer, but you clearly have a noble heart and a desire to be free, so I am confident you will be able to figure this out. You need not be an unwitting slave to other men's fantasies or ideologies.
>>
>>4000358
uh-oh, i struck a nerve with the transgender comment didnt i?

I think its a shame for people to refuse to try... but at the same time I respect the business acumen of the universities who have found ways to cater to less capable children as well by offering courses in post modernist thinking, critical theory etc etc all courses determined to undermined the scientific method, the fundamental tools of which, mathematics, the hypotheticodeductive model, are clearly valid otherwise we would not be having this amazing and stimulating conversation.... be less boring

Imagined realities such as space flight or placing a man on the moon for example?.. or how about a cure for cancer a covid vaccine or putting a man on mars. Achievements only seem like fantasies to people for who they may as well be.

I never said we would understand reality i said we would understand it better, which is different.

The value judgement i made was that it is better that i am alive and healthy and curious, i applied that to everyone else also, because im not that big of an asshole.

If you want to forgo the results of science because it is just another ideology or else castrate yourself to prevent procreation, be my guest. Those are the kind of actions you are empowered to take.
>>
>>4000662
Shut up.
>>
>>4000662
My mistake; turns out you have no reading comprehension at all. Oh well.
>>
File: 538241.jpg (1.01 MB, 3840x2160)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
Waaayyyy to much random babble for a thread on an image board.
>>
>>
>>3999690
Fuck that, seed the planet so that life can continue. Assuming life is actually rare in the universe, it's just the right thing to do.
>>
>>4001227
this one is too obviously faked. Artist used the same large rock 3 times and another 5 times+. too many repeating patterns, dog shit.
>>
>>3999690

the thing is its going to be impossible to completely rule out microbial life on mars. Even if nothing is found on the surface there still might be something living off chemicals 1km under the surface.
>>
>>3993438
Either show us how to CG something like this, point out the location on Earth where this was actually filmed or

gtfo
>>
File: Mars glass tunnels.jpg (1.65 MB, 2048x2875)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>
File: Mars 435432543.jpg (1.06 MB, 4000x2769)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>4001629

The surface of Mars is roughly equal to the land surface of Earth.
>>
File: Mars.jpg (672 KB, 2472x1367)
672 KB
672 KB JPG
>>4001633
>>
>>3995251
What a retard. Are we even evolving anymore?
>>
>>
File: martian-sand-closeup.jpg (880 KB, 1584x1184)
880 KB
880 KB JPG
They gave an interesting public talk about the findings from the curiosity rover at JPL in 2017.

Mars is real.
https://youtu.be/zqhK8dA7iO8
>>
>>3997142
woahhh it's so realistic!!!
>>
>>4002552
I remember the seminar where guys were explaining that the official nasa orbiter photos of mars have photos of buildings and power lines, and all the scientists in the room said, where did you get the photos? well it turns out the images from the orbiter are sent in raw file format all the way to the earth, where the signals are received and decoded into actual computer files, which are published automatically to a server. so there is a nasa server directly connected to the orbiter, there is no middle man or a middle man system, the raw files on the server are direct data from the orbiter. there is no way to edit that data, it's a stream of wireless signals coming from the orbiter, it never stops, it's a closed system.

when i got home from work the next day, loaded the link to archive the video using a youtube web ripper, and the conference had been taken down.
>>
File: mars-grid.jpg (632 KB, 1570x1180)
632 KB
632 KB JPG
>>4003267

yeah, in this raw image from March 5th , I think I see some apartment buildings and houses in the distance. No power lines though. The martians must use underground power cables.
>>
Any portion of humanity that lacks drive will wither away and die. As unlikely an undertaking as it would seem in today's world the majority of people always strive for more. They are our future and they will breed and cultivate life on new frontiers.
>>
File: PIA24487.jpg (3.49 MB, 2560x1920)
3.49 MB
3.49 MB JPG
After arriving at Jezero Crater on Mars, Perseverance went for a spin on March 4. This sharp image from the car-sized rover's Navcam shows tracks left by its wheels in the martian soil. In preparation for operations on the surface of the Red Planet, its first drive lasted about 33 minutes. On a short and successful test drive Perseverance moved forward 4 meters, made a 150 degree turn, backed up for 2.5 meters, and now occupies a different parking space at its newly christened Octavia E. Butler Landing location. Though the total travel distance of the rover's first outing was about 6.5 meters (21 feet), regular commutes of 200 meters or more can be expected in the future.
>>
File: mars-from-curiosity.jpg (1.56 MB, 3337x1877)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>
>>3996212
why open wheels like that? rocks and dirt constantly accumulate on the inside of the rim.
>>
>>4000770
It's just an empty, rocky desert...And yet, it's fascinating. I'd love to have one of those rocks, on my desk
>>
>>4005089
Oh dammit. You might have something anon. Quick get onto Nasa and tell them they've made a huge mistake reiterating the design they used on their last successful 3000 odd days and counting mission.
Thank god you're here to keep all those engineer boffins straight. Phew!
>>
>>4005370
Quick, what's their number?
>>
>>4005089

Dunno. I think the wheels on the last rover had openings in them so the dirt could fall out but the Perseverance rover seems not to. Maybe they can lift and tilt the wheels if a rock gets stuck in there.
>>
>>4005089
It's all about weight. Lighter is cheaper to fly.
>>
>>
>>
>>4003267
There is no method to edit an image without it being detectable in some way. Even the most advanced AI image processing techniques are still clearly identifiable with the human eye.
>>
>>4008501
You can easily tell if something is shopped from some of the pixels, especially if you've seen quite a few shops in your time.
>>
>>
File: 1521915577866.jpg (1.95 MB, 6044x1695)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
>>3999690
It's never too early to lay down the first steps and she makes her personal disdain for Musk pretty obvious.
Also fuck these annoying marks.
>>
>>3995641
Out of africa theory is bs.
>>
>>
>>4001562
Greenland, now do your part and check it by yourself
>>
>>4011896
Been there so, no.
>>
>>4008602
Underrated.
>>
File: destination_mars.jpg (4.54 MB, 6000x3905)
4.54 MB
4.54 MB JPG
>>
File: OlympusMons.jpg (4.99 MB, 6500x10000)
4.99 MB
4.99 MB JPG
>>
>>3993179
Why don't they drive the rover to where the astronauts planted the flag?
>>
>>4014285
Why don't they ever produce anything approaching what a child can film with a $50 cell phone camera?
If I landed on mars, the very first thing I would do is take out my phone and record a video panning the horizon. "Here we are on mars, oh check out over there, you can see the wind blowing the sand!"
But if NASA lands on mars, they take an upside-down black and white thumbnail of their foot.
They did release the landing video (it was about time) but that didn't even have audio. How incompetent are these people? You would think after half a dozen landers/rovers that we'd have just one normal looking video with sound.
>>
File: itx0woib9ba61.jpg (1.28 MB, 3351x3042)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
>>
File: Perseverance.jpg (1.11 MB, 4000x2667)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
>>
>>4014298

Not much moves around on mars but they have done videos of dust storms with the last rover. I think there is a bias among scientists against wasting memory space and transmission bandwidth on pictures and video when they have limited scientific value.
>>
>>
File: imrs.php.jpg (3.98 MB, 2880x1800)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB JPG
>>
>>4014298

Less frequency, less noise, more your range but less data too! (and require a huge antenna)

Earth is more than 60 millions km from mars, need more than 3 minutes to send a simples signal from there to here! (the speed is the same as light in vacuum)... and they need to uncompress all the data.

And some data is about state of the machine, info that they collected... it can't waste to much time just to send a video.
>>
>>4001527
There would be some kind of evidence on the surface though. I doubt we'll find anything though. I think the Earth is a rare exception of life.
>>
>>3995412
i think theres no/very little atmosphere on mars so they dont burn up like on earth
>>
>>4001562
never watched a scifi? lol
>>
>>
>>3999060
Just proves that people aren't suited to live in Arizona, either. Drink two gallons of water a day just to keep from becoming a mummy.
>>
File: 1523862352118.jpg (4.08 MB, 2472x1134)
4.08 MB
4.08 MB JPG
>>3993176
cool, what is it? the bedrock all around it is scraped and chipped in a pretty unique way, and the rocks that make up the mound itself are a different color. also it doesn't look like there are any others around like it in the field it's in
>>
>>4014285
probably for the same reason they won't agree to drive it up your asshole
>>
>>3999690
>The Martian Saga: Part II
>>
WebP, SVG and PDF when?
(The last two are on >>>/gd/.)
>>
You think they've taken pictures of unusual anomalies that they keep hidden from the public?
>>
File: 3815918615.jpg (3.63 MB, 4461x2498)
3.63 MB
3.63 MB JPG
>>3995251
>mars doesnt exist
Of course it doesn't. I have never seen Mars. If it exists, why have scientists never managed to recreate Mars over here in a laboratory? Some people say they have seen Mars through a telescope, but the simplest explanation is that these were just hallucinations, which they ascribed to "Mars" due to being raised in a Mars-believing communities that lack the rigorous scientific scepticism that you and I possess.
>>
File: Mars_Chopper.jpg (358 KB, 1200x1648)
358 KB
358 KB JPG
I cant wait for the Mars Chopper in April. Will it crash into a rock after 10 seconds?
>>
File: mars pyramids 4.jpg (6.87 MB, 4296x2709)
6.87 MB
6.87 MB JPG
Extra terram hominis destinatio.
>>
>>4023885

wrong planet.
>>
Layered Sediments in Danielson Crater
>>
File: mars rover.jpg (670 KB, 2048x1415)
670 KB
670 KB JPG
you can even see the rover really good in this picture
>>
File: mars_or earth.jpg (795 KB, 1321x2048)
795 KB
795 KB JPG
>>4022702
here is a top secret one
>>
Curiosity: Sol 3048
4k Wallpaper
>>
>>4001562
Its literally just rocks. It could be anywhere on Earth.
Jesus Christ you people are fucking morons. A labcoat could tell you anything and you'd believe it.
>>
>>3998692
Surely they'd get more because there is less atmosphere to filter the light? Even though it is farther away.
>>
>>3995412
Meteors are constantly entering the Earths atmosphere. I have seen several shooting stars this year. If our atmo was tiny like mars, they wouldn't have become shooting stars due to burning up, and would have all landed
>>
>>3995344
The question is, if we sent a penguin there with food and an 02 tank - would it survive
>>
These photos are all edited
Sham calling them real photos
>>
>>4026144
No

Penguins should stay in group, to keep the heat... And to feed them is a lot trouble, cause they only eat live fish
>>
>>4026071
Moran alert! Or a tranny troll.
>>
>>4025022
is it actually blue or is that some kinda weird filter nasa used
>>
File: panorama.jpg (5.79 MB, 9878x1013)
5.79 MB
5.79 MB JPG
>>4026071

Its not surprising that a rocky planet would be just a bunch of rocks.
>>
>>
File: Jezero_Crater_delta.jpg (4.12 MB, 4096x3879)
4.12 MB
4.12 MB JPG
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: Mars_Curiosity.jpg (7.95 MB, 9840x3090)
7.95 MB
7.95 MB JPG
80MB original.
>https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/figures/PIA24266_fig2.png
>>
>>4026262
>Moran
>>
>>
So when they talk about "false color" does that mean these pics are actually bullshit? Or are they doing some scientist technicality where this is really what you'd see but they didn't use an iPhone lens or whatever?
>>
>>3993596
>Of course this is only my interpretation of Creation
And it's a load of platitudes and bullshit just like the rest of them. I swear, whenever I see someone rambling in the way you are, it's like you all went to a special school to learn to talk and say nothing.
>>
>>4032943

I think maybe the images that show a really yellowish sky are accurate and the ones with a blue or less yellow sky are color processed to look more earthlike.
>>
File: PIA24450.webm (2.52 MB, 1024x1018)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB WEBM
InSight Starts Burying Seismometer's Cable
>>
>>3995386
fuck off we're here for the pics, go to /pol/ if you wanna talk about this shit
>>
>>4033028
Lmao, looks cleaner than before it started "burying" it.
>>
>>3995386
Haha. Calling stuff you don't understand SciFi but stuff you do evidence.
>>
File: 1560377788506.jpg (3.39 MB, 5617x3930)
3.39 MB
3.39 MB JPG
I think it's crazy that we're seeing a landscape on a whole other world and there is a whole other sky.
>>
File: PIA24449.jpg (891 KB, 4097x2917)
891 KB
891 KB JPG
Ingenuity on Sol 39
>>
>M-muh uninhabitable planet.
>M-muh money sink so I can feel we live in the future by seeing pictures of said uninhabitable planet.
Exploring space is fucking retarded. It's a void with almost no practical applications for humanity as it exists in its current state. Every time scientists pat themselves on the back for wasting more money on this shit and the I fucking love science crew suck them off I cringe.
>>
>>4033620
>whoaaa dude there's like a whole other sky
No shit, we've known Mars has an atmosphere since the fucking 1920s, and it's an empty sky on an utter barren desert.
>>
>>4034257
>1920s
try the 1820s retard.
>>
Do you see the fucking crab monster in the bottom right rocks

why isn't this investigated I can find no info on it or that nasa has made any comment about it
>>
File: 20201129_201520_0000.png (908 KB, 1920x1080)
908 KB
908 KB PNG
>>4034270
This is not a fucking rock it's a fucking face huger or at least the fossil of one

why isn't the rover rolling up to this thing????
>>
>>4033620
>t. Joe Rogan
>>
File: Rafael Navarro Mountain.jpg (3.79 MB, 7254x2370)
3.79 MB
3.79 MB JPG
NASA’s Curiosity Mars rover used its Mastcam to take an image of this hill, nicknamed “Rafael Navarro Mountain”
>>
>>
>>3999690
even a genius can be retarded in some way.
>>
>>4034271
it physically can't, but that does look interesting.
>>
I wanna know why they added such shitty cameras to the rover. For NASA, the cameras are such a tiny fucking expense why not fit it with all 8k cameras?
>>
>>4036417
>why not fit it with all 8k cameras?

It would take days and lots of power to transmit a single 8K photo. Ultimately pretty photographs of dirt or a horizon isn’t a high priority in maximizing usage of bandwidth.
>>
I don't think the problem is the cameras. I think the problem lies with the bandwidth they have to transmit data back to earth. They might be able to take very nice high resolution photos but if it takes an hour to transmit each one home it isn't worth it. I bet have to strike a balance between quality and quantity.
>>
>>4036430
>>4036429
ok that was an obvious answer for me. I'm suprised then that the bandwidth sucks that much. The next mission should involve a separate high powered relay or something.
>>
obvious answer ... BUT there are high quality pics as we can see in this thread...

So why no better pics of unknown things like this?
>>
>>3993167
Mars is a hoax. Wake up sheeple!!!
>>
>>4036026
there's already dust on the solar panel it's not gonna work lol
>>
>>4037111

i wonder if its going to kick up a cloud of dust so you cant even see it when it tries to take off.
>>
File: 1617992384221.jpg (1.39 MB, 3840x2160)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
>>
File: PIA24581.jpg (2.21 MB, 1578x1176)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB JPG
>>
File: zw3zmiq5men61.jpg (1.82 MB, 3072x1920)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
Frozen Sand Dunes
>>
File: watsel_1_face_ots.jpg (1.56 MB, 4180x2350)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>
>>3993167
>real
>taken from Mars
lol
All of these "photographs" are taken on Devon Island, Greenland, or Nevada.
Anyone who believes this shit is retarded.
>>
>>3996971
seethe more
Europeans outclass everyone
Deal with it.
>>
>>4024196
technically no.
>>
Chesley Bonestell (American, 1888-1986) - Mars as Seen from the Outer Satellite, Deimos, The Solar System interior book illustration, 1961 - Oil on board - 14-5/8 x 12-3/8 inches (37.1 x 31.4 cm)
>>
>>3993544
More humans in different places with access to different natural resources.

All other considerations secondary.
>>
File: Mars.jpg (362 KB, 1920x1000)
362 KB
362 KB JPG

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.