[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/hr/ - High Resolution

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images smaller than 1000x1000 pixels are not allowed.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 47 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Hello /hr/, Its been a while. I said I would be back after my last thread a couple years back with the subject of The Temptation of St. Anthony and before that the Globus Cruciger. This time I chose to explore the works from the masters regarding The Last Judgement.

Often Christ the Judge takes on more authoritarian tones and is usually depicted with the four mythical beasts of the apocalypse—the lion, the ox, the eagle and the winged man—whose multiple eyes and wings symbolize the ability of God to see and know everything that exists.

I will share what I have, which is extensive, on the topic. Please wait before contributing, as I will attempt to make this a very long lasting thread
>>
I will start with my personal favorite Hieronymus Bosch.
>>
File: The Last Judgement Bosch1.jpg (6.07 MB, 5017x4174)
6.07 MB
6.07 MB JPG
>>
File: Last_Judgement.jpg (1.34 MB, 4724x2487)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>
File: After_Alaert_du_Hamel_001.jpg (3.49 MB, 2880x2026)
3.49 MB
3.49 MB JPG
>>
>>4417571
K
>>
File: 1505926318283.jpg (4.2 MB, 5240x3640)
4.2 MB
4.2 MB JPG
>>
>>4417571
holy shit thanks anon, some of my favorites of all time
>>
>>4418334
welcome, will keep em coming
>>
A triptych from Hans Memling
>>
File: Memling121.jpg (4.96 MB, 3022x4086)
4.96 MB
4.96 MB JPG
>>4420340
Center panel detail
>>
Underrated thread that deserves more attention.
>>
File: 16292870082_94f5225f08_o.jpg (5.35 MB, 4000x2900)
5.35 MB
5.35 MB JPG
Lucas Cranach the Elder - The Last Judgement (1524 - 30)
>>
File: 15673842453_9c2e9f98aa_o1.jpg (6.28 MB, 6312x4200)
6.28 MB
6.28 MB JPG
Cranach's copy of >>4417574 from around 1524, after Hieronymus Bosch's version of The Last Judgement. It is slightly more crisp in its detail
>>
Petrus Christus' Last Judgement, part of a diptyque from 1452. The other side portrays the annunciation and the nativity
>>
>>4422405
Some interesting detail on the gate of hell
>>
>>4417571
Love your threads pal! Contributed quite a few to the St. Anthony one. You might be intereste in this thread since it has a similiar style >>4421501
>>
>>4422729
Glad to have you back. I have some things I can contribute in that thread and will check it out.

Pieter Brueghel the Elder, another favorite of mine and I wish he had done more on the subject, a 1558 engraving
>>
File: 50923826766_208cb7f51e_o1.jpg (6.98 MB, 6430x4902)
6.98 MB
6.98 MB JPG
>>4423456
helps to attach the image
>>
Pieter Huys, a follower of Brueghel between1555 - 1560
>>
File: DSC_0202.jpg (1.38 MB, 1600x1389)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
>>
A polyptyc from Rogier van der Weyden, 1443, featuring Michael the Archangel under Christ bearing the scales of judgement
>>
Jan van Eyck Crucifixion and Last Judgement diptych 1430

The right hand wing, as with the Crucifixion wing, is divided horizontally into three areas. Here they represent, from top to bottom heaven, earth and hell. Heaven contains a traditional Great Deësis with clergy and laity; earth, in the mid-ground, is dominated by the figures of Archangel Michael and a personification of Death; while in the lower ground the damned fall into hell, where they are tortured and eaten by beasts. Describing the hell passage, art historian Bryson Burroughs writes that "the diabolical inventions of Bosch and Brueghel are children's boggy lands compared to the horrors of the hell Van Eyck has imagined."
>>
Pieter Aertsen circa 1550-55
>>
William Blake 1805
>>
The painting was to be A Vision of the Last Judgement, a painting by William Blake, that was designed in 1808 before becoming a lost artwork. The painting was to be shown in an 1810 exhibition shown in an exhibit of Blake's work, but the exhibit was cancelled after problems resulting from an 1809 exhibit of his works. The actual painting was lost, but earlier versions of the work survived.

The original was a seven foot by five foot painting. This is what we have left of it.
>>
File: Last_Judgement_(SM_1780z).jpg (7.99 MB, 8106x6324)
7.99 MB
7.99 MB JPG
Antoine Rivalz ( 1667 - 1735 )
>>
Il Paradiso -1590, is a massive (29.9 by 74.1 feet) oil painting on canvas that dominates the main hall of the Doge's Palace in Venice. It is one of the largest paintings of canvas in the world and was painted by Jacopo Robusti, known more commonly as Tintoretto.

The Virgin Interceding with Christ portrays the scene surmounted by the dove of the Holy Spirit and raised upon a dense semicircular rank of cherubim and seraphim. The Archangel Gabriel is shown holding out a lily to Mary, depicted with a halo of 7 stars. The divine light emanates not from the dove of the Holy Spirit but from the figure of Christ the Judge, shown holding a globe surmounted by a cross; to his right stands the Archangel Michael holding out the scales of justice. The order of the celestial hierarchy is respected: the evangelists appear in a semi-circle immediately beneath the main scene, with the saints aligned in the same order in which they figure in church litanies.

From the center of the stage a path of light opens up towards the Empyrean, allowing the souls of the Just to ascend (with the assistance of angels) and God's Grace to descend upon the Doge. At the center of this path is the radiant figure of a semi-veiled Archangel. The composition is crowded with around 500 figures, depicted in detail.
>>
A triptych from Fra Angelico circa 1395
>>
Fra Angelico, The Ascension of Christ, The Last Judgment, Pentecost (Corsini Triptych), 1447
>>
>>4417571
based OP
actually high res quality content

>years ago
yeah I miss when threads like these were more common
shit it feels so long ago
>>
>>4417571
It's been a while since I seen a good art survey on this board.

(image: Kara Walker, detail from installation)
>>
>>
>>
>>4417571
Pretty nice imagery, good job.
>>
Jan Provost : The Last Judgment, the only painting whose attribution to Provost is confirmed by documentary evidence, comes from the Town Hall for which it was painted in 1525( images of the Last Judgment were also frequently displayed in city halls and courthouses, as a means of validating secular institutions’ claims to divine authority.) Its carved frame, still partly original and possibly designed by Blondeel, is an example of the ingenious ornamentation that flourished around these Bruges artists. The iconography of the judgment scenes differs significantly from what was traditional at the time. The symbolic relationship between Jesus and Mary, the carrying of the blessed across the water and the hellish pageant of friars and nuns, reminiscent of Hieronymus Bosch, are expressive of a lively imagination.

>>4434332
The degradation of the board is worse every time I come back to post. Why can't we get a /celeb/ board already?
>>4436173
thanks....
>>
1650 Gaspar de Crayer
>>
File: lastjudgement.jpg (7.39 MB, 4579x5764)
7.39 MB
7.39 MB JPG
Michalangelo's The Last Judgment. A fresco covering the whole altar wall of the Sistine Chapel in Vatican City. Altogether there are over 300 figures, with nearly all the males and angels originally shown as nudes; many were later partly covered up by painted draperies, of which some remain after recent cleaning and restoration.
The work took over four years to complete between 1536 and 1541 (preparation of the altar wall began in 1535). Michelangelo began working on it 25 years after having finished the Sistine Chapel ceiling, and was nearly 67 at its completion.

The Last Judgment became controversial as soon as it was seen, with disputes between critics in the Catholic Counter-Reformation and supporters of the genius of the artist and the style of the painting. Michelangelo was accused of being insensitive to proper decorum, in respect of nudity and other aspects of the work, and of pursuing artistic effect over following the scriptural description of the event.

On a preview visit with Pope Paul III, before the work was complete, the pope's Master of Ceremonies Biagio da Cesena is reported by Vasari as saying that: "it was most disgraceful that in so sacred a place there should have been depicted all those nude figures, exposing themselves so shamefully, and that it was no work for a papal chapel but rather for the public baths and taverns". Michelangelo immediately worked Cesena's face from memory into the scene as Minos, judge of the underworld (far bottom-right corner of the painting) with donkey ears
>>
>>4439623
Here is a rendition of the original, sans clothing.
>>
>>4439623
A 17th century copy. The differences are interesting, Mary has turned into a state of adoration. Christ is looking away instead of at the judgement. Almost everyone's expressions are softened, thus playing down the impending doom of the wicked for a more modern take. Also notice there is zero genitalia, at this point puritanism had begun to set in.
>>
Pieter Jansz Pourbus - 1551
>>
>>4417571
Jean (Auguste, fl. 1800-1832), Publisher.Jugement Universel, [early 19th century].
>>
>>4443738
I haven't gone much past 17th century outside of a handful of Russian iconography which I will post later. Thanks for this, I have never seen it
>>
Great thread op! Keep them coming
>>
Lucas van Leyden 1527

In the central panel of this triptych, Christ appears seated on a rainbow, a symbol of the universe. His feet rest on a globe, a sign of worldly power. The lily to the left of Christ represents purity; the sword to the right, sin. At the top of the painting you can see the Holy Trinity, consisting of God the Father, the son and the Holy Ghost in the form of a dove.
On the right-hand side, we see devils in the guise of monsters, driving the unrighteous towards the fires of hell. The latter disappear into the depths of the earth through the open mouth of the sea monster Leviathan. This prehistoric monster appears in the book of Job: ‘Its breath sets coals ablaze, and flames dart from its mouth’
>>
Underrated thread.
>>
Jacob de Backer - Circa 1580
After the artists death, at the age of 30, two wings were added making it a triptych. Though the wings just showed the patron who ordered the work on the left and his wife and daughters on the right.
>>
Good thread.
>>
File: Vasnetsov_Last_Judgment.jpg (3.6 MB, 3000x3000)
3.6 MB
3.6 MB JPG
>>4417571
Vasnetsov's Last Judgement
>>
Leandro dal Ponte, called Leandro Bassano circa 1595-1605

>>4450157
Nice. I don't think I have this one.
>>
Johann rottenhammer
>>
>>4417571
is good youre back bro
>>
Hubert Goltzius
He painted his "Last Judgement" in the tribunal of the city hall of Venlo in 1557, which is still installed there.
There is an amazing amount of detail here. The attention to the lighting is particularly impressive. Those in the shadowed background are given as much attention as those in the lighted foreground. The rainbows Christ sits upon are subtle here, but I like how they connect that which is below with that which is above, unlike most other renditions with them being only in the heavens. I think it is shows us that the Logos is with us down here always, even up to the point of no return, as no one in the painting is beyond its boundaries.
>>4452716
>>4449665
>>4448175
>>4446072
Thanks guys, /HR/ has always been a home board and It is fun to contribute
>>
Master of 1549
I couldn't find anything else on this artist
>>
Frans Floris - 1565
Here, we see monstrous creatures, ghastly human-animal fusions snatching the damned and tossing them, wailing, into the fiery jaws of hell. At the bottom left, a bearded man turns his head, looking out of the picture space. He indicates a stone cube with Latin script from the apocryphal book of wisdom 6:10(I included 6:10-12 as they help give some context to the verse.)
10 For they will be made holy who observe holy things in holiness, and those who have been taught them will find a defense.
11 Therefore set your desire on my words; long for them, and you will be instructed.
12 Wisdom is radiant and unfading, and she is easily discerned by those who love her, and is found by those who seek her.
>>
File: t20_0547_l.jpg (3.44 MB, 3166x4067)
3.44 MB
3.44 MB JPG
Jacob Jordaens - 1653
>>
Excellent thread
>>
thanks for postan
>>
Good thread OP, thanks
>>
Bernard van Orley - 1560 - 1570
>>
Jehan Bellegambe the elder - 1523
>>
Zanobi di Benedetto Strozzi - ca. 1448-1450.
>>
thanks for all the pics anon
>>
Unknown author - housed in the Cathédrale Saint-Mammès de Langres in France
>>
Bumping with a Greek triptych
>>
>>4470754
thank you for the bump, I love that one

Here is one from an unknown Italian master circa 1435

Hell here is a rocky territory, fractured by gorges and caves. In the center sits Lucifer chained, devouring the great traitors and defecates the proud. On the first band of rocks are tortured idolaters, schismatics and heretics: they are clubbed, beheaded, cut into pieces, impaled, hung from the gallows and thrown into the well. On the left side is bedlam for the greedy, the wrathful and the avaricious.

On the right side are the envious, the greedy and the lustful. The dark color of the devils contrasts sharply with the paleness of the damned. According to tradition, the devils are depicted with horns, bat wings and feral paws, but there are also many devils that take on the animal forms of beasts (bears, boars, donkeys) that also traditionally symbolize the corresponding vices.
>>
File: img_9402.jpg (2.57 MB, 2448x3264)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB JPG
>>4472403
>>
stained glass window in St. Vitus Cathedral in Prague circa 1370
>>
The Cathedral Church Of St. Philip
>>
Best thread here. Thanks.
>>
>>4417571
Very high quality thread
>>
Jacob van Swanenburgh (1571-1638)

>>4477286
>>4478939
Thanks, still got the iconography to go through yet.
>>
>>4479428
looking forward to it
>>
Peter Paul Rubens - 1619

I have noticed a lot of the works on this topic show intercessors for man between Christ and man, as in Marry here, when Christ is the intercessor between God the Father and His wrath according the scripture.
>>
An etching by Cornelis Bos (Netherlandish, Hertogenbosch ca. 1510
>>
Anonymous Netherlandish between 1600 and 1649
>>
Jacob van Swanenburg - 1620
>>
File: Fra_Angelico_009.jpg (3.02 MB, 4096x2008)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
Fra Angelico - circa 1395 –1455
>>
have a bump
>>
i see u >>4421181
>>
File: exp_mmna0088-11.jpg (7.04 MB, 5840x3800)
7.04 MB
7.04 MB JPG
Ceiling mosaic at St Isaacs Cathedral in St Petersburg Russia
>>
Bumping with some more Cretan Renaissance
>>
So............... >>4421181
a needle pulling thread
>>
School of Pietro Marescalchi - between 1550-1599

>>4492158
Thank you, I have a goodly number of Byzantine Iconography but want to get through the more well known styles first. So much information is put into these its quite a wonder to behold
>>
>>4493632
Needs restoration.
But the government would rather burn money than actually do stuff with it
>>
anonymous - 1780
>>
This thread is a bless.
>>
>>4493632
>I have a goodly number of Byzantine Iconography but want to get through the more well known styles first
Looking forward to it!
>>
Gustave Dore - 1866 on wood cut
>>
Frans Francken II - 1606 - Oil on copper, 67 x 52 cm
>>
Buonamico Buffalmacco's frescoes depicting The Last Judgment and Hell are two related scenes of a series of three large paintings, executed between 1336 and 1341 on commission from the Dominican friars in the Cemetery of Pisa. Detached from the wall and placed on canvas, the two works (measuring 6.0x8.6 meters and 6.0x7.0 meters respectively) are now preserved in the same Camposanto, after a long restoration work.
>>
>>4418226
Name?
>>
Anonymous Italo-Hispanic School, 17th Century

>>4502389
Hieronymus Bosch
>>
Illustration from the Nuremberg Chronicle by Hartmann Schedel - 1493
>>
IG: a.k.a.abid
>>
Dirck Barendsz - 1561. Benedictine Abbey, Fara in Sabina Italy
>>
File: Giudizio-universale.jpg (3.9 MB, 5268x6399)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB JPG
Giotto di Bondone - 1306

The Last Judgment at the Arena Chapel (Cappella Scrovegni), in Padua, Italy. Christ in Majesty is surrounded by a rainbow mandorla and angels, flanked by the Apostles. Enrico Scrovegni is depicted presenting this chapel to the Three Marys at the bottom.It is believed he commissioned the chapel and the painting as atonement for the sin of usury as he was money lender.
>>
>>4504595
anyone else see the naked lady graffiti
>>
>>4508809
Can't type... fapping!
( ͜͡ʖ ͡)
>>
>>4422405
Hell looks sick as fuuuuuuck
Also love me a cool skelly
>>
>>4436187
John Martin always has to introduce how the Earth is splitting and the sky falls into itself. It doesn't really interest me as much as his other works, though Heaven seems more apt in it's appearance.
>>4450157
Oh man, the faces. That is wonderful
>>4451184
Great composition
>>4454981
Jeezy lookin real famished. The interesting part about this for me is looking at all the interpretations of hell itself and it's demons as that is were most of the work really goes
>>4470754
Impressive!
>>4485788
This has got something very engaging about it. I like it a lot.
>>4494598
This! Restoration work is so important but no, better just find the mentally unstable group and let them have another dumb exposition of pubic hair macrame.
>>4498733
Damn that´s good
>>4508809
Lmao
>>
File: CAVE.jpg (86 KB, 1222x1000)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>4422405
This depiction of Hell inspired the monastery mosaic in "The Cave" (2005)
>>
welcome back anon
>>
bump
>>
Some romanesque and all gothic cathedrals have a sculptural depiction of The Last Judgement on their West (main) portal
>>
File: Bern_Muenster_Portal.jpg (2.98 MB, 2304x3240)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB JPG
>>4511785
Yes, many amazing portal works. Here is a portal in Bern, Switzerland by masterbuilder Matthaus Ensinger - 1480

>>4508809
kek, ancient graffiti. Nice catch
>>
Great stuff, the second time I catch myself wanting to go and stick my face in some artwork...

I haven't been to the church in ages, not that the ones around me would have anything interesting, so here is a plain, bland bump.
>>
The Vank Cathedral in Iran was one of the first churches to be established in Isfahan by Armenian immigrants settled by Shah Abbas I after the Ottoman War of 1603-05.

Church construction is believed to have begun in 1606, and completed with major alterations to design between 1655 and 1664. Vank means “cathedral” in the Armenian language.
The cathedral has greatly influenced the architecture and decorative treatment of many subsequent and smaller Orthodox churches in the entire Persian-Mesopotamian region.
>>
Peter Paul Rubens - c. 1621

In 1959 According to him, he did not directly destroy the work, but the acid "relieves one from the work of destruction".[3]

Hans-Joachim Bohlmann (1937–2009) a German serial vandal. Between 1977 and 2006, he damaged over 50 paintings worth more than 270 million Deutsche Marks (about 138 million euros) by Rubens, Rembrandt, Dürer and other artists. Bohlmann had a personality disorder and was treated in various psychiatric hospitals since a young age. In most acts, he sprayed paintings with sulfuric acid, targeting faces of the personages
>>
File: gentileschi.jpg (3.1 MB, 3290x4041)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
Orazio Gentileschi - 1601

It is painted on a piece of alabaster with a rounded top, and depicts the moment when the Archangel Michael and his army succeed in hurling the rebel angels from heaven. The youthful figure of Michael is shown in the upper center of the composition, surrounded by his band of adolescent angels. Gentileschi creates a sense of their lightness of being by using the patterning in the stone to suggest that they are floating on clouds. He uses the same technique to suggest the flaming chasms into which the newly damned angels have been condemned. The area behind the archangel is washed in with a brilliant lapis blue, lightening into an earthy green, where the faint figures of other angels can be seen battling in the distance. The whole image is a tour de force of detail and deft balance, reliant on the natural veining of the stone for structure.
>>
>>4417571
Why is there more of this stuff in Orthodox churches than Catholic ones?
>>
>>4518331
read up on the catholic churches. It reminds them they are a death cult
>>
The Last Judgment by Fernando Gallego, Francisco Gallego, and workshop, 1480-1488, oil on panel.

This work is part of a massive altarpiece from Ciudad Rodrigo. The altarpiece was thought to have originally upwards of 42 panels, 26 of which survived to this day.

>>4518331
I would like to say because possibly they thought of images as idolatry but Catholic churches are often replete with icons of, usually, extra-canonical themes. Almost like they were avoiding specifically just using what the bible showed and feeling the need to add to it by focusing on saints and Mary and the like. But that's just my two cents, I have not read on the topic. Anyone who knows more on that is welcome to contribute the answer
>>
Attributed to Niccoló Delli (1445) - Catedral Vieja de Salamanca
>>
14th-century mosaic - south facade of Saint Vitus Cathedral, Prague, Czech Republic.
>>
Protect this thread at all costs.
>>
Bumpo
>>
Raphael Coxie - 1588

The attention to detail of these Flemish masters is breathtaking. I really like the trumpeting angels on the right above the damned are all warning of the judgement and the loosing of the seals. But the one on the left is using his trumpet for a different purpose, to listen to the thanks and praise of the saved.

>>4524217
>>4524953
much obliged
>>
Philippe Thomassin - 1606
>>
Bump
>>
Hermann tom Ring: Triptych of the Last Judgement and the Triumph of Death - between 1550 and 1555
>>
A second one by Pieter Huys - Circa 1555 - 1560

>>4424917
>>
Bump. Best thread, thank you, OP.
>>
Joos van Cleve - circa 1520 –25
>>
The Last Judgment in the Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore, Italy is a fresco painting which was begun by the Italian Renaissance master Giorgio Vasari in 1572 and completed after his death by Federico Zuccari, in 1579. Initially commissioned by Grand Duke Cosimo I de' Medici, it is located on the ceiling of the dome of the cathedral. It was the subject of an extensive restoration undertaken between 1989 and 1994.
>>
Jehan Cousin the Younger - circa 1585
>>
Juan Correa de Vivar - ca. 1545
>>
good thread.
>>
>>4417571
Bump for great justice
>>
>>4503324
>Hieronymus Bosch
nope
>>
Stefan Lochner - circa 1435
>>4541797
Do you know who it is then? If not him then one of his followers
>>
>>4502389
>>4541851
Inferno by Herri Met De Bles
>>
Hieronymous Francken II - between 1605 and 1610

>>4541919
Thanks for the correction, that one was in the wrong folder
>>
Bump!

Thank you again.
>>
b
u
m
p
>>
File: l-15-255-2007_bosch.jpg (1.79 MB, 3836x3429)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB JPG
Thank you for the bumps, have had some family issues I had to take care of.

Found a much better version of this version by Bosch>>4425315
>>
judgement bump
>>
>>4420340
>>4420518

SAVED
i love this painting
>>
File: t30_2199_l.jpg (5.61 MB, 3368x4225)
5.61 MB
5.61 MB JPG
Unknown artist, school of the South Netherlands (15th C.)
>>
Jan Provost - 1525

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.