[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/hr/ - High Resolution

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Pre-1900 portraits (painted, no photographs, photoetchings or heliographic engravings).

Starting with a classic
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Timeless classic and Mona Lisa of its own epoch
>>
>>
>>
Xavier Winterhalter, capable of almost perfect realism in portraits.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>4473806
Joshua Reynolds' portraits are nothing short of mesmerizing
>>
>>
>>4473806
soi face lambs
>>
Good thread!

>>4473723
A badger kilt. kek
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>4474976
These were some of Marie Antoinette's most famous portraits. Elisabeth Lebrun exhibited the first in the salon of 1783, then hastily remade the same scene with the same pose in a formal muslin dress. The first portrait made straw hats à la mode in France.
>>
>>
This portrait was controversial when first exhibited, partially due to de Calonne's own bad rep as Louis XVI's financial minister at the time.
>>
>>
>>
The original scan of this was massive. 13,000+ by 8000+ pixels and 81mb large. I had to procedurally downsize it to reach the dumb limits on the "high res" board.
Original: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/Anthonis_van_Dyck_013.jpg
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: Charles I Van Dyck.jpg (6.84 MB, 4950x4146)
6.84 MB
6.84 MB JPG
>>
There's a pendant portrait with sir Robert Shirley in oriental costume for this, but unfortunately I can't find a high resolution scan of it.
>>
File: Princes_Palatins_Van_Dyck.jpg (5.32 MB, 2499x2180)
5.32 MB
5.32 MB JPG
>>
>>
>>
Lebrun's portraits of Mme. du Barry captured her 'coquettish gaze' in still, with the recounted half-closed eyes.
>>
>>
>>
de Largilliere's famous portrait of Voltaire
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: 0000134163_OG.jpg (283 KB, 1198x1500)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
>>
>>
One of Le Brun's dearest friends
>>
Louise of Baden was widely described by those who saw her as being the most beautiful woman they ever saw.

"we were walking across a portion of the park, when, at a ground-floor window, I espied a young person who was watering a pot of pansies. She was seventeen years old at most; her features were well formed and regular, her face a perfect oval; her fine complexion was not bright, but was of a paleness completely in harmony with the expression of her countenance, whose sweetness was angelic. Her fair hair floated over her neck and forehead. She was clad in a white tunic, a carelessly knotted girdle surrounding a waist as slender and supple as a nymph's. As I have described her, so ravishingly did this young person stand out against the background of her apartment, adorned with pillars and draped in pink and silver gauze, that I exclaimed, "That is Psyche!" It was Princess Elisabeth, the wife of Alexander. She addressed me, and kept me long enough to tell me a thousand flattering things. She then added, "We have wanted you here for a long time, Mme. Lebrun - so much so that I have sometimes dreamed you had already come." I parted from her with regret, and have always preserved a memory of that charming vision."
>>
>>4475202
It's worth noting the head in this painting had been daudled over some time after Mme. Le Brun had made it. Mme du Barry never wore rouge.
>>4475201
This portrait was only partially finished when du Barry was alive, and the draft was preserved by an associate of du Barry who gave it to Le Brun years later when she returned to France, then she completed it.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>4474350
I'd fuck
>>
>>4483013
woah
>>
>>4483012
>>4483013
Both some of my favorite portraits of Lady Hamilton. George Romney supposedly painted her over 70 times, and went insane after he could see her no more.

"..Although she was obliged to use her legal name of Amy Lyon on the marriage register, the wedding gave her the title Lady Hamilton which she would use for the rest of her life. Hamilton's public career was now at its height and during their visit he was inducted into the Privy Council. Shortly after the ceremony, Romney painted his last portrait of Emma from life, The Ambassadress, after which he plunged into a deep depression and drew a series of frenzied sketches of Emma." (Wikipedia)

My favourite portrait of her, however, had to be Elisabeth Vigee's portrait of her as a Bacchante >>4473704 (and the other beautiful portrait of her as Ariadne, I can't find a high resolution scan of it).

"..... I had just finished the first sitting, when I saw Sir William Hamilton, the English ambassador in Naples, at the door, he requested that my first portrait in the town might be that of an exceptionally beautiful woman whom he introduced to me as Mme Hart, his mistress; she later became Lady Hamilton, and her beauty brought her great fame. Having already promised my kind neighbours, I did not want to begin this portrait until that of the Countess Scavronsky was fairly advanced. At the same time I painted another portrait of Lord Bristol, whom I encountered once again in Naples. It could be said that this man spent his entire life on Vesuvius for he climbed up the volcano every day. I painted Mme Hart as a bacchante, reposing by the side of t he sea holding a cup in her hand. Her beautiful face was very lively and formed a strong contrast with that of the Countess; she had an enormous quantity of fine chestnut hair which could cover her body completely, so she looked wonderful as a bacchante with her hair spread out."
>>
File: Nave 3 eKFvxng.jpg (1.67 MB, 3058x2000)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
Help me collect it
>>
File: DtRIm8uVsAAPCru.jpg (1.73 MB, 3070x2008)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
Art of Doro Gobel and Peter Knorr
>>
>>4484613
>>4484619
These are awesome.
>>
>>4484613
>>4484619
wrong thread retard
>>
Sorry, intended to start a new one
>>
>>4473978
>portraits
made me raff
>>
>>4474977
dope
>>
>>4484630
>>4484632
The duality of man
>>
>>
File: 8mblimitsucks.jpg (5.75 MB, 4320x6000)
5.75 MB
5.75 MB JPG
Heres the op pic in slightly better quality, though no1 asked
>>
>>
File: Malia Obama 1899July04th.jpg (315 KB, 1600x2301)
315 KB
315 KB JPG
thank yoU >>4488680
..................................... zippy
( the pin head clown )
... one ... of ... us ...
.... one .. of .. us ....
>>
>>4489741
kill yourself
>>
>>4488680
She's so cute
Thanks anon!
>>
>>4489741
Calm down
>>
>>
oh, I'm sorry >>4490851
is your private monastery CLOSED today.
... I.... wouldn't want to knowingly break the
rules of the dictator by being a person born
with free will.
I'll go sit in the car 'til you open up again.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Bnk6VU53Y
>>
>>4473736
Pretty
>>
>>4484619
>>4484613
Obviuosly the fucking wrong thread dipshit. Just make a thread about this topic and don't forget that this isn't /r/
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>4496378
the artist is pretty bad with perspective and geometry, but the subject more than makes up for it - ladies' riding habits are so dashing and beautiful, probably because they mix male and female fashion. and the fact they're unbuttoned to reveal her cleavage is such a racy and dashing pose. The embroidered felt tricorn, powdered wig (or is it just her powdered hair) and green riding jacket with gold embroidery speak elegance. But the huge necktie looks awful in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed this portrait immensely.
>>
>>
>>
File: MissSusannaGale.jpg (199 KB, 1065x1920)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/explore/collection/work/4299/
>>
File: AnastasiaIvanovna.jpg (166 KB, 1280x1523)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/explore/collection/work/4312/
>>
File: Girl.jpg (221 KB, 1280x1594)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/explore/collection/work/3745/
>>
File: ElizabethFarren.jpg (2.01 MB, 2377x3875)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/436851
>>
File: OnTheNorthForeland.jpg (352 KB, 1200x1447)
352 KB
352 KB JPG
https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/art-artists/work-of-art/on-the-north-foreland
>>
Masterpiece. It's amazing how long it took for European art to curve back to the level of the old masters.
>>
>>
>>4474977

It's amazing how utterly unsexy and undesirable she is.
>>
File: FZkjg-0WIAIhAQK.jpg (2.51 MB, 3437x3866)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB JPG
>>
>>4500374
She's pretty attractive though. despite her large forehead.
Many contemporaries commented that she looked much more attractive than her sister (queen of Naples).
>>
>>4492473
Rare /hr/ schizo posting is always a sight to see
>>
File: 1663304627241811.jpg (465 KB, 1632x2048)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
Official portrait of Captain James Cook, Nathaniel Dance-Holland, 1775
>>

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.