[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Unless you draw for over 6 hours everyday, there is no reason why you can't have a decent paying norm job in addition to your hobby
>>
>>2812390
What about talent
>>
>>2812419
What OP means is that spending less than six hour of art leaves you with enough free time to supplement your art income with a regular job

Which is good perspective, because I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that very few people here are Sakimichan and could use a few extra bucks ehre and there
>>
>tfw your old job that you quit last year offered you neet-bux in the form of part time remote work

we're all gunna make it
>>
Way ahead of you OP. Newsflash: Most adults have jobs
>>
Yeah forsure you can if you put in the work. But I recently realized that I have other hobbies and passions that I want to enjoy and get better at, and focusing all my time drawing just won't make me happy anymore. Gave up trying to do art full time but I would like to maybe make some money from it on the side.
>>
This is true, but I would nonetheless advocate for temperance in employment for those young enough to manage it. There are very few jobs that don't take more than their fair share of mental and physical energy from those engaged in them. Having your own money, alleviating your parents' burden to a degree and making your own purchasing decisions is very important, but at the same time you have your entire life to work.

This is more directed at the 18 year olds and those in their early 20s, but if art is something you'd like to take seriously you'd do well to strongly consider limiting your working hours to 15-20 a week. Spend more of your time during the week refreshed and spend what money you have to sit in on local life-drawing sessions, classes at an atelier, employing a capable tutor (online or off) or simply saving for your own near future when the support network provided by your parents is ultimately removed.

Avoid exorbitant debts, but don't be so quick to fully commit yourself to working either if not absolutely necessary. This is the advice I'd offer myself if I were 16 again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChtPqW8fIfc
>>
>>2812468
For the rest of us though, OP's right. Most jobs I'm aware of are 9am to 5pm, so consider 8pm to 2am your six hours of prime-time to do the dew
>>
File: cantwakeup.jpg (58 KB, 960x733)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>2812468
Seconding this advice. A part time job is a good idea if you want to git gud. When I worked full time after uni it drained all my energy and enthusiasm and I barely painted for about the almost two years I was working. Likewise however being full NEET mode for a while added a lot of pressure, feeling like I should always be studying or drawing and if I wasn't then I was wasting time, even if it was just an hour with friends or watching a film with family after dinner.

Part time is the best fit for me because I have my own income and independence from that, and while I'm working I may get tired, but the entire time I'm thinking to myself, "just another 90 minutes and then I can art" or whatever. Needing to do a boring job means I have a 10 minute recharge period afterwards but then I'm excited to do art, whereas full time work left no time or energy for art, and full time NEET meant I procrastinated and felt anxious about needing to do enough art.

That's just for me though, it could work differently for people who are more energetic or less neurotic.
>>
Everyone's circumstances vary. Some people are basically slaves to their jobs while others have more or less time to spare. /thread
>>
>>2812390
>tfw draw for 5 hours a day
So if I increase it an hour, we've got a deal
>>
Make money and buy all the art books/courses you want while living with mommy and daddy. Don't be stupid you most likely won't have to pay rent at your parents house and even if you do it will be far far far less than actually renting.
>>
Im shocked at the insight and positivity in this thread. I can't wait until a flood of autistic fucks roll in and screw it all up
>>
>>2812468
Are you a capable tutor
>>
>>2812685
Hell no. I do have a pretty discerning eye for subtle mistakes when it comes to anyone else's art apart from my own, but I've almost no formal understanding of materials or technique. As a thus-far failed artist myself tutoring upper-class elementary school kids and teenagers is actually something I've been musing about recently though. I do sight-size drawing at an Atelier and I think it's something I could teach comfortably alongside more constructive drawing methods, but I'd like to focus on improving my own art for a bit before I put myself out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGOxr3YiWE4
>>
>>2812487
When the fuck do you sleep? Even assuming a sub 1hr commute, you're sleeping a lot less than 7hrs a day. How even?
>>
>>2812758
I sleep from 2-3am to 8:45 or so; I usually get close to seven hours of sleep a night. I work at 9:30am to 8pm with a 15-20 minute commute so I do alright. 8 hours isn't necessarily an iron-clad rule.

Also I do work alone so I'm actually able to draw a bit when it's slow like I am now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EARyRK4pKUs
>>
>>2812390
but what if im at university 12 hours a day?
>>
>>2812853
ngmi
>>
>>2812419
Enough with the talent meme. How good you are is directly proportional to how much you like to draw and how often you study and practice. Stop procrastinating.
>>
>>2812880
also your autism quotient
>>
>>2812880
lol you only need to do 1 hour a day, that is unless you are a retard
>>
>>2812883
This is actually true to some degree.
>>
I work at a gay bar serving drinks. Problem?
>>
>>2812884
>>Not gonna make it
>>
File: benis de milo.jpg (22 KB, 693x715)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>2812853
It's probably better you commit to whatever your major is and come back to art later...if at all. If you think you can divide your attention without screwing yourself though go for it. Do gesture drawings and Dynamic Sketching® mid-lecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Siki_n__Fg
>>
>>2812884
Wait do people actually fall for the "you only need 1 hour" meme?
>>
>>2812972
I only draw 15 minutes a day max and I'm already a confirmed Fiverr millionaire. Why aren't you?
>>
>>2812419
>Does talent matter
I can answer this. I've actually contacted some people who are the best in the world at what they do because I too was curious. And you know what the answer was to my question about talent every single time?

No matter what level of talent you start off with, you all have enough potential to become the best in the world. And my opinion is, while you are learning how to get good, you can get advice from how talented people think about drawing to completely change how you think about approaching getting good at drawing. Once you are aware of how the talented people think about drawing you will have the same talent they have because your thinking will then be exactly what their talented thinking is once they show you.
>>
>>2813712
Because I don't give away my art for starbucks coffee.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.