[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Saw the other thread got archived, might as well start a new one.
Discuss art supplies, what recent purchases you made, ask for suggestions.
Buying anything for black friday, anons?
>>
File: hh.png (693 KB, 800x800)
693 KB
693 KB PNG
I'm thinking of buying a Paul Rubens sketchbook to test their paper. This brand seems to focus more on ""aesthetics"" to make their products look good on instagram photos, but I haven't heard any complaint over the quality itself. Just the paints don't seem higher than Winsor and newton pans.
>>
whats the best fountain pen i can get for under $50 for drawing?
>>
>>5012846
noodler's ahab flex nib or pilot safari + converter
>>
How often should you replace Zebra G nibs? And do you need to boil/burn the oil off of them? My only other experience is with calligraphy nibs but these don't seem to be oiled and are shiny steel
>>
For sketching would you prefer a 2B or a 4B lead grade? Looking at getting another Uni Mitsubishi lead holder.
>>
>>5013420
my current setup is staedtler 2h, hb, and 4b. and then either a uni mitsubishi red/blue pencil or prismacolor non-photo blue. these are all intermediaries for me, i love the looseness of a 4b as it glides on paper. 2h and hb are my goto's for sketching before a watercolor piece or inking. 4b is exploratory.
>>
>>5013398
They have G Pens that are matte made by Nikko, I have one and I don't like them. Zebra G Pen is good but not very sharp, the oil isn't a problem and I never found that I needed to burn the machine oil. They're polished and possibly done something to the surface to make them shiny and slippery.
>>
>>5013427
Thanks for your insight! My current Uni Mitsubishi is an F which to my understanding is not far from HB and I use it for the same purpose as you. I figure that I'd use F for work I'd ink over and something darker for when the finished product is the sketch. So sounds like 4B is what I'll try out. Might pick up a red one too for studies.
>>
>>5013434
Thanks. Do you have to replace them often? I don't really have a feel for how often i should do that yet
>>
File: fuuuarrrkkkk.jpg (36 KB, 449x800)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>Ordered my supplies from the Super Apocalyptic Blowout Sale in China
>Check the courier sites online to track my package
>Its been a week, surely its on its way!
>My packages have been ping-ponging all over the Chinese countryside
>Last Update: Package has been transferred to Wuhan Sorting Station
>mfw

G-guys...?? Are my art supplies infected now?
H-how should I hose them down when they make it to my country?
>>
>>5012837

Im looking at their official store on Ali and it says the paper is 50% cotton. It should be ok, I think.
Their tube paints are nice, but I think their best dollar to performance ratio is in their solid watercolor sets. Theyre all full pans and decently lightfast. Much more generous than the Cottman students set.
>>
Planning out my Christmas Buy List:

>Holbein WC Set
>Baohong HP WC paper 100% cotton
>Ecoline or Rohrer WC Ink
>Some overpriced brushes which don’t suck
>Some Shinhan and Mijello loose WC tubes
>Some poster colours

Are expensive color pencils a meme? Planning to get Faber Castell Polychromos. Want to go all out but if I can save some money it’d be nice too.
>>
File: hh.png (1.48 MB, 1560x706)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB PNG
>>5012837
This is what I mean by 'aesthetic'. Along their standard metal palettes they got this make-up looking stuff. Pretty cute, but is there really a point to it
>>
>>5013921
The palette is probably cheaper to get individually through direct supplier without their branding on it, they are just trying to offload the paints by bundling them and marking the price up.
>>
>>5013917
>Ecoline or Rohrer WC Ink
Ecoline's colors blend beautifully and are incredibly vibrant, but not lightfast. They reactivate both on paper and palette. Never tried Rohrer but they're known for being lightfast and waterproof.
>Are expensive color pencils a meme?
kind of? Prismacolors are some of the best in the market and they're very well priced. It's just that you need a specific type of sharpener to keep the point low so it doesn't easily break.
>>
>>5013943
>Ecoline reactivates
After drying, really? Video reviews show that you can layer without colors mixing up... if they do Imma get Rohrer then.
>Prismacolors
Overpriced here, FC is cheaper, but I’ll look at the reviews, thanks. Another option would be Derwent.
>>
>>5012846
>>5013160
Simon here, I redlined for a while a few years ago. Do not buy this. Fountain pens are a terrible idea.
>>
>>5012828
What are anons' thoughts on using Pilot G-2 pens?
>>
>>5013398
>>5013449
>And do you need to boil/burn the oil off of them?
never burn them since you risk destorying the nib.
anyway there's multiple choices you have, a few would be, putting the nib in your mouth for a few seconds the wiping it off, soapy water, dampening a cloth with your mouth and wiping the nib, sticking it into a potato...
>My only other experience is with calligraphy nibs but these don't seem to be oiled and are shiny steel
all nibs are varnished with oil, the bad ones just have less on them to save on costs.
>Do you have to replace them often?
depends on how often you use them, the ink you use, the paper you use. could be anywhere from half a week to few month tbqh. if you're unluckly you get defective out of the box.
the best advice i can give you on this is i guess until it becomes noticably more scratchy on the paper but that's just a very general rule. keep using and you should get a feel for it eventually.
>>
Thanks to the anon who mentioned that Blick isn't going to lower Copic prices for Black Friday since they can't go any lower than the price on the website. My order just arrived today. I'm finally starting to build the color collection of my dreams here.
>>
Ordered a popov book cover for my Epsilon travel pad. Any small in length but kinda thick dip pens? While I go on lunch I like to practice
>>
Is 110lb cardstock good for watercolor?
>>
>>5016572
no, you need watercolor paper because of the sizing. cardstock will buckle like crazy
>>
>>5013823
Get that herd immunity going
>>
Can watercolor paper be good for ink drawing?
>>
anyone make their own drawing tools? particularly towards historical.
>>
>>5016639
i assume it would because the sizing will prevent bleeding, though for my preference, the smoothness of the paper is just as important, even more since i can add gum trag or arabic to the ink to make it feather less
>>
>>5013823
they’ve got it under control better than where you are. chances are your package is gonna get infected when it reaches your postal office
>>
>>5016639

Yes, but make sure you get "hot press"- thats the smoothest surface.

>>5016651
Got a book last week called "the organic artist". Frou frou name, good tutorials. All about making your own paint, brushes, sketchbooks, pastels and a lot of other stuff. Very rustic.
Im gonna use the tutorial in it to make my own leather-bound watercolor sketchbook.

>>5016620
>>5017632
I-I'll just soak it in Lysol.. Thats a good trick. ;_;
>>
>>5018102
Scan pages or gallery link ;)
>>
>>5018102
i saw a flip through on yt. i always wary of the rustic hippie types because they rarely bring anything to perfection, partly because the rustic elements with regards to preindustrial materials become overly exagerated.
>>
>>5012828
Hey Anons, anyone know where I can find something like this product but in grey, or other colors than sharpies basic sets?
Thought these are really interesting. They place like wax, are hyper pigmented, glides easy. Great texture and color pay off. I would love some neutrals so I could flat sketches with.
>>
>>5013921
Not only they look better, but they seem to be more portable and more practical.
>>5013420
4B

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.