[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1605968691354.jpg (32 KB, 367x401)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
I want to draw so bad why did I waste so many years becoming a software engineer I even have a career in it now but I spend so much time doing programming I could have learned art instead I hate my life just ban me janitors I mean mods I don't give a shit.
>>
File: 1605591795049.png (444 KB, 992x1148)
444 KB
444 KB PNG
>>5014109
Yeah there's a higher salary and shit like that but I am not enjoying life right now to be honest I am going to die a fucking code monkey
>>
Quit your job?
The government will literally give you free money if you don't have a job
>>
File: 1606016492670.png (59 KB, 658x662)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
>>5014111
No they won't I live in America
>>
what's stopping you from learning how to draw right now, fren? surely you have a little bit of freetime to learn.
>>
File: 1598521994339.png (547 KB, 722x490)
547 KB
547 KB PNG
>>5014112
And my job is the only redeeming thing about me I'm an autistic dumbass who's good at programming and nothing else no one would respect me without my job and my parents would force me to get a job in retail again like they did last time I was a NEET
>>
but anon most artists do not recieve enough income and consequently live a tortured existence anyway.
>>
>>5014113
I'm trying to right now, I'm starting tonight but I am so terrible at art and I have so little time and I feel almost like I gave myself some kind of autism by learning to program because my brain is a lot more analytical and less creative than it was when I was a teenager
>>
>>5014120
I don't care I'm a dumb autist anyways no one is going to love me no matter how much money I have I just want to create some beautiful things before I die that's all I want out of life and it's all I can hope for, I have money I can use to by stuff to entertain myself with, but that is so empty and dull and retarded and pathetic
>>
>>5014109
take it easy man, you can still learn on the side. you can work full time and study in your free time
>>
>>5014109
Usually I just reply loomis for threads that don't deserve their own threads but god bless, you can take things little by little, see where things lead. Little might not be ideal, it might be some number times less than a lot, but it's infinitely more than nothing. You don't need the to conviction to give up everything, or the drive to change everything about yourself. Passion can manifest in many ways, big or small, and it's up to you to figure out the way that's going to work for you and your circumstances. Godspeed, anon, I hope you make it in the way that makes you happy.
>>
>>5014122
> I'm starting tonight but I am so terrible at art
everyone is when they start

> I have so little time
then get off ic right now and draw

>brain is a lot more analytical
that's good, it'll help you in the long run for art.

DRAW DRAW DRAW
>>
Just draw as much as you can in your free time anon, after a few years you can git gud enough to do it for a living by churning out coomer art then inevitably kill yourself.
>>
>>5014125
do you actually want drawing or just anything creative?
>>
>>5014109
>>5014110
can't you just find a gig where you work half day for less salary and spend rest of the time doing art? It doesn't seems like you have much need for money anyway.
>>
Wlop is a software engineer and he is a fuckin blendlet and makes china art. What's your excuse OP?
>>
>>5014110
I thought the point of being a software developer was that you'd make so much money you could retire early and spend the rest of your life doing something else
>>
>>5014173
asian genes
talent
>>
>>5014190
this. I wish i made software money, i spend so little as it is i could probably retire in my 30s and live off of that. OP you don't know what you have, just draw when you can and appreciate the fact that you don't have to worry about rent. I don't even mean to be condescending, I dropped out of a CS degree and understand that the work isnt just something anyone can do. If i managed to git gud with a 10-12 hour workday and suicidal depression and no future prospects then you can too.
>>
>>5014109
just enjoy that, you have a nice salary
art isnt THAT fulfilling, its risky and probably a lot of artists are more upset than you with their lifes
just draw as a hobby, it's better
>>
Holy shit, dude. Get it together. There are plenty of software engineers who can balance career and hobbies. My company straight up has multiple art clubs for employees to connect with each other. I'm in the watercolor one and we do virtual meets Thursday mornings- which by the way, here's another perk: You're salaried, aren't you? Do your work and be responsive to emails and IMs and you'll have all the freedom in the world. We've got one guy on my team that will literally fuck off for half the day to help his kids with virtual school and no one cares because he gets his projects done and still replies to your messages quickly. You need to figure out what it is that you're really unhappy with your life, because you're going to be the type of person who is miserable and blaming everything but himself for every shortcoming otherwise.
>>
>>5014109
why don't you draw then? instead of waisting your time on this shittt board, full of NGMI bleglets.
>>
File: 1605921598342.png (73 KB, 834x1256)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
These are some good replies... I think like >>5014274 says I just need to get it together. I can do this if I just stop neglecting it. I do have a lot of time at work, not all the time but on some days, now that quarantine is going on. I'm just freaking out right now because I realized how far away I am from achieving this dream I have. I want to draw something right now but I'm not going to be able to draw anything good with my talent level. It would make me happy if I could. I can still practice though, for now. I have been reading the guide and there are places to get free books I know of.
>>
>>5014327
>hidings hands even in an apu drawing
NGMI
>>
I have been a software developer for 9 years. I finally got the chance of starting art around 2 years ago and I have been balancing both. Im not good by any means but I keep trying to improve every day.
>>
>>5014327
hey i can be your artist gf i draw all day but i have 0 income until i fulfill my dreams of being an established person in the industry. honestly though op... youre in such a lucky spot even though you dont love it. if anything you can take a break and quit to do art and go back if it doesnt work. im honestly jelly and wish that i didnt go this route. remember that the grass is always greener on the other side.
>>
>>5014330
LOL made me laugh but I did not draw that one.

>>5014368
Thanks anon, you're not wrong. Grass is always greener, good luck.

>>5014346
Good luck, hopefully we will both become good artists one day anon.

Goodnight and thanks to everyone for your advice I appreciate it.
>>
>>5014327
just practice man. I know its a meme but seriously just stop talking, pick up the closest pencil, ballpoint, whatever, and start drawing. find some good anatomy refs. draw those. find some faces you like. draw those. study the planes of the asaro head draw them.. learnt the muscles and tendons of the legs, torso, arms and neck. draw them. draw hands. draw feet. draw buildings. draw cars. just draw draw draw fucking draw until your wrists hurt then do some pullups and go back to drawing. youre in your twenties right? hurry up and start because you aren't getting any younger. just draw.
>>
>>5014109
See around you, people who learnt art are even more miserable than you.
>>
>>5014117
Literally have sex. Dead meme but really applicable here. You're shackling yourself with insecurity born of lack of close friends and lovers. You have money and agency, go interact with a community.
>>
>>5014527
lol what even is this advice
>>
>>5014527
Surely he can address those issues before having sex? I found someone who I love very much and who loves but I’m always still sad all the time and ruminate too much and I worry that I’m too dependent on my partner for my happiness. It feels as if I’m a worse partner than I’d be otherwise because I can’t stave off the negative thoughts and just relax and focus on my partner. I think it would be best for OP to get therapy and sort his shit out before worrying about sex.
>>
>>5015323
>And my job is the only redeeming thing about me I'm an autistic dumbass who's good at programming and nothing else no one would respect me without my job and my parents would force me to get a job in retail again like they did last time I was a NEET

My answer was addressed to this problem. This problem describes a lack of faith in anon's own social standing in spite of his career and skillset. He has money and time, but no self respect, which can only mean he's either actually severely autistic or just hasn't experienced belonging and comfort through associates yet. Having sex can dissolve a lot of these self induced traps people fall into. There are other favorable end results like having a beer with friends, but that's not as memeable.
>>
>>5015707
Huh, OP here and your point makes a lot more sense now that you've explained it like this. I am very autistic, maybe not SEVERELY autistic but autistic enough that I am doubting I'll ever be emotionally fulfilled through my social relationships because I am the weird one and while I have some good acquaintances now who I hang out with sometimes I still don't know if I'll ever have close friends. I think I have to look for happiness in things like art and be fulfilled by making things or I'll never find it I am just that type of person unfortunately.
>>
>>5015707
bruh... sex isn't a cure for
unhappiness, sex has his function but it's not the cure for everything in life, just a part of it.
>>
>>5014109

Just draw on the side when you can. Be glad you have the security of a well-paying job and when you get good enough supplement your income with commissions/try to eventually figure out a way to make that more of your day/work.
>>
File: EChCnoiUIAAHOjs.jpg (238 KB, 1907x1890)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
Being a software developer in the first world sure sounds nice.
>>
>>5014122
Math, not even once
>>
>>5016335
Is that your art anon, it looks nice
>>
>>5016176
ill b ur fren
>>
>>5014109
I wish I could give you my talent and you give me yours for programming. I rather have a high paying secure job than be a dirt poor artist that 'made it' but poor as shit.
>>
>>5016343
Nah. It is from Mossa.
Lovely art indeed. His works have inspired me to start painting.
>>
>>5016345
thx fren
>>
>>5016176
Can't explain how2winlyfe obviously, but there are some general rules that work for strengthening relationships. Inside jokes are an obvious one, where people get to act a certain way around you that differs from their normal life. It's why things like racism are so big online, it's a taboo secret club to be able to chat amicably over the unpermitted thing. Another is if you wish you were invited to more shit, invite people to shit. Ask a friend to come over to your place or a burger stand to shoot the shit a time or two, advance to an actual event or activity maybe, and if your person's worth a damn they'll reciprocate in kind if they appreciate your company. You get the gist.

>>5016273
I agree, sex is not a wonder-cure for all human ailments, it's just sex. That's the point. Having sex is about tearing down illusions for those 23+ year old virgins that neither feel secure in their image or loved by their community. If you've never been intimate or close to another person you can go through life without a proper frame of reference. There are many people infact who never have a true friend, for example, and their idea of a friend is what they've experienced, namely the casual acquaintances they HAVE had. But when you have sex with a willing partner that isn't a whore, you can expect to feel somewhat desired and attracted to a person you find desirable and attractive, which is enough to get the self loathing "nobody likes me" shit out of your head. Not all people who want each other are good for each other, but it's a place to start so you can develop the perspective and self respect needed to think about preferences rather than desperation.
>>
>>5016521
good respond, i'll give you your you, here you.
>>
>>5016521
This is good advice and thank you anon. You seem pretty smart.
>>
>>5016335
OOOOUHUHUHUHUHHHUUHUHUU WAHAHHAHH UHHHH OHHHHH YAAHH GONNA C000000O0O00O0OOOO0O0MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
>>
>>5014109
Get into 3D animation/modeling
Use your computer skills to be more efficient than other animators
Do freelance and then take off enough time to make your own art on the side
>>
>>5014133
How much can one make from coomer art?
>>
>>5016673
i mean, how little self respect do you want to keep?
>>
>>5016676
without any furry patrons, how much can one make?
>>
>>5016676
No pedo shit or anything that borders illegal
Other than that I don't care
>>
Grass is always greener. I'm sure you would still have regrets taking the visual arts route.

Contentment always comes from within. It is always caged by regret, but gratefulness is the key.
>>
>>5014109
hey fampai, I'm literally in the exact same situation. I spent the last 10 years working towards my career. Even after finding my "dream job," I realized I fucking hate my job and I want to do art as a living.

I haven't quit my job, but I have decided that it's not very important to me. I put in my hrs and never think about it after I'm done with work. On a good week, I can average about 2hrs of drawing per day. On a bad week maybe 30 to 45mins per day. Consistency is key. I'm still a beginner, but I have made progress in the last year.

Don't let your job get you down. It does not define who you are.
>>
>>5014109
It's not bad idea to get into drawing now if you're in a financially stable position. I'm no professional but I do feel like drawing isn't exactly a stable job and I've known too many people who draw are fucked in the head because of lack of income, and their parents are constantly bitching at them for being neets.

The worst thing is they even stopped enjoying drawing altogether because the activity itself is associated with their fucked up situation.
>>
>>5016772
This is really good and succinct anon. I'm borrowing it.
>>
>>5014109
>>5014110
>>5014117
Save up money and go to an atelier/good school for drawing. That will minimize the criticism, because you just say "yeah I will still go back to my old job after this, I need to do something else to not burn out" (or similar type of bullshit). If you actually go back to your job after that, it won't make applying for a job more difficult, because you just say "yes I learned this out of interest, I had to get this childhood dream out of my system and now I can apply those skills into coding. I appreciate coding much more now.". Just be creative with your bullshitting, it's not even too crazy of a lie, because there are people who actually think like that.Just make sure you save up enough money, so you have still some left to live off of it after school/atelier ends. You will need time to complete your own works, but hopefully you will have learned the necessary skills in your time at a good school. Just make sure it's a school that doesn't teach sight size. Or go out of the country and look for smaller schools by Russians who graduated the St Petersburg academy. The whole experience would make you grow some balls.
>>
>>5014527
While I don't disagree with having sex, I will say though that if he doesn't adress his desire to draw in some satisfying way, he will be miserable his whole life. No amount of pussy can drown out the desire to learn and create something. It sounds like in his case just "drawing 2 hours after work" won't do the trick, especially when he introduces women into his life even that will dwindle to zero.
>>
Get a job in the public sector. I was a civil engineer in the private sector. Every company had me doing like 60 hour weeks, which was fucking bs as my contract was for always for 40, but it was just accepted that you'd do how every many hours it took to keep on top of your workload. Moved to a local government council last year and it's been cruisy as. 37.5 hour weeks, nobody expects you to do overtime. Sure the work is small scale and boring, but I'm getting at least 20 extra hours a week of free time. And it's the same accross the board, the office is a ghost town by 5:10pm
>>
>>5018290
Good luck anon hope you find everything you want
>>
>>5020177
at least they pay you the 20 extra hours?

Private sector for engineers or codemonkeys is fucking hell, if they can make you work 100 hours they will.
>>
>>5020177
This is exactly why the government is inefficient shit
>>
>>5020644
good goy
>>
>>5020666
>good goy
>jews hate big government!
We got a fucking genius here lmao
>>
>>5020629
You realize they do that to weed out shitty, inefficient workers right? If you are taking 100 hours a week to meet their deadlines you're just a bad engineer and will quit without them having to fire you
Good engineer will be able to do what you do in 30 hours
Why would they want inefficient engineers?
Protip, if you want a good job that pays well you can't fuck around on reddit and 4chan all day while you pretend to be working
>wahhh I worked 41 hours this week!
Bitch you probably worked 10 hours max and spent the rest of the time taking "breaks"
Ask how I know you're a millenial
>>
>>5020711
>depicted: wagie sucking bossman's cock, lashing out at detractors and doing it all for free
>medium: 4chan
>>
>>5022906
t. Seething poorfag
>>
just buy a cheap chinese tablet, download random art book PDFs, krita and keep trying.
there are some for 60 or 70$, no point in giving Wacom 400 since you're most likely never going pro.
>>
>>5014109
Why not do both??
t. Senior code monkey and animu hobbyist
>>
>>5014110
Don't worry you wont be a code monkey, the Ai is going to replace your job with AI learning.
>>
File: 20201126_035357.jpg (190 KB, 828x934)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
I feel that

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.