[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 17 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Untitled2.png (14 KB, 502x381)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
Pen pressure settings?

I don't feel like I get enough variance in my line weight. I would like to get a little more thickness at hard angles but I'm not sure how.

Just using CSP's G-pen (hard round). Experimented with switching things up but still haven't found anything I like.

Anyway what are you're guys settings like?
>>
you lowered your variance with that profile, retard
you’re using 100% of the input range to control 90% of the output range
>>
>>5129838
Good point. Also, there are two pressure curves: one universal one in the program settings, and one in the individual brush settings for each brush. Adjust both. Use a moderate curve for the universal one (not too many control points and stair steps), and if needed, you can go crazy with the brush specific ones.

If you want very high variance, shape it like an exponential curve, starting with a mild slope and then increasing rapidly.

Personally, I don't like to press hard on the pen, so I have a fairly aggressive curve in the general settings to compensate.
>>
Try drawing a straight line that starts with zero pressure and ends with max pressure first.
>>
>>5129821
>>
>>5130197
this is what I use, but 100% linear, no curve between 0 and 100
>>
File: 1.png (183 KB, 800x690)
183 KB
183 KB PNG
>>5129821
I'm shit at drawing lines so I go with what is fun
>>
>>5130226
That type of pressure curve is basically airbrush mode, the photoshop airbrushes use something like it.
>>
>>5130226
>50 minimum
>a linear curve
kys
>>5130197
so pressing with medium strength and you have a 100% brush stroke, literally fucking unsable
>>5129821
cancer
>>
>>5130244
post your settings
>>
>>5130244
why the fuck do i want to press anything harder than medium? why would i want to strain my arm like that?
>>
>>5130244
>literally fucking unsable
It's not unsable nor is it sable, it just means that you have a pen twice as sensitive. I don't have such an extreme curve, but I very rarely press harder than 50%, so this makes perfect sense, at least with a device that has smooth response and a low activation pressure.
>>
>>5130244
why the fuck would you WANT to have to press hard enough to reach top of the pressure range? when is the last time you used an actual drawing tool, shit doesn’t take that much pressure
you want a tablet to be sensitive at the low end of the range, so you can get subtle strokes with light pressure and reach the full effect at a moderate pressure, not stretch the profile out so you have to carve the tablet like an orangutan to top out
>>
>>5130328
lol this reminds me of a classmate. i went over his house, the most memorable thing was seeing his tablet. It had actual, literal grooves in it.

He looked at me, 'what, yours don't have marks on it?'

I happened to have my intuos3 in my backpack, pulled it out. He laughed because I had a 'brand new' tablet. I got it when I was in 8th grade (used btw), at least 6 years older than his tablet. Good thing he was a nice guy and art wasn't too bad because he was an absolute idiot.
>>
File: Capture.png (16 KB, 515x413)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>5130246
>>5130256
>>5130261
>>5130328
A basic curve with just a dip towards the 0% because thats how you get variance in your lines. getting the really thin control, while still be able to go full max at 80% force. if you are only going half way with your shit that means you are pressing as light as a feather for long periods of time and is as bad as pressing hard, you do both, you and rotate. otherwise you strain your wrist/arm.
>>
>>5130424
post your brush settings curve, not your chinkshit driver curve
>>
File: brush.png (9 KB, 400x329)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>5130452
Its wacom dipshit, and a brush curve literally doesnt add anything in fact it overrides the settings of the tablet curve. the only reason it exists in programs is because older tablet models did't support it in their properties.
>>
>>5130463
From what Ive seen the brush curve and the tablet settings curves are interpolated
>>
>>5130424
Can report that doing all of my art for twenty years using less than 50% pressure 99.99% of the time (quite truly only using harder pressure a few times a month on certain brushes) has caused me NO STRAIN.

Can't you understand that tablets are made to accommodate all different people? Choosing to have a light touch is like choosing to draw with a softer pencil, there is absolutely no reason to use the stiffest part of the pen's capacity unless you want to. And 50% pressure is not "light as a feather". Such a bizarre thing to start browbeating people over.
>>
>>5130468
>>5130471
Go be retarded somewhere else
>>
File: pentest.jpg (34 KB, 1024x482)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Here's a handy test sheet. Drive a straight line under the gradient starting with no pen pressure and ending with the hardest pressure you can
>>
>>5130424
>this is idiot is drawing with his wrist
>not his elbow
pressing light when drawing with elbow is easy as fuck. pressing hard is decently difficult and feels unnatural. this curve only works for wristlets who cannot into clean fast lines.
>>
>>5131160
>>this is idiot is drawing
what did he mean by this
>>
>>5130424
>puts a literal dead zone at the bottom bracket
confirmed orangutan
>>
>>5130506
>inb4 it’s fake
>>
>>5130506
>>5131256
also, didn’t do “the hardes pressure I can” because that’s fucking retarded and serves zero purpose, this is the pressure I’m comfortable topping out
though for painting I can move it another square for the really subtle blending, this is more for inking and such
>>
hell, you can probably even do pic related without issue if you’re not reliant on color picking and can actually use color sliders
>>
File: IMG_20210114_045517.png (46 KB, 795x452)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
tatami10jyo on twitter
>>
>>5131276
Did you ever even use a computer? Colour picking doesn't depend on pen pressure.
>>
File: 1584737212086.png (914 KB, 821x811)
914 KB
914 KB PNG
>>5130226
wtf
>>
>>5131307
for my pens, i use velocity too. i don't have tilt though but don't like using it. it depends on the brush tip, i find between 25-45 is usually the effect i want to get close enough to like using a pen irl. it varies up my strokes without having to think about it. otherwise i just use linear for everything.
>>
>>5131307
I genuinely hate tilt.

>>5131919
Velocity looks good but slows me down.
>>
>>5131835
works on my machine
>>
>>5131632
have you?
it depends on the color already being on the screen
a lot of people can’t use sliders so they rely on making a shitload of low opacity strokes and picking a color that looks right from the result
the less control over pressure you have, the less that is incentivised
you can’t color pick with an opaque brush
>>
>>5132073
You're honestly saying that you set your pressure response to max out at 20% pen force so that you yourself wouldn't be incentivised to pick colours? What kind of twisted schizophrenia is this, creating extreme settings to stop the "other you" from colorpicking?

Can't you just choose not to colorpick?

A mass of low opacity strokes looks like trash, yes, but that doesn't have to have anything to do with pen settings. Plenty of people use horrible low opacity brushes, they're beyond help.
>>
>>5132301
no one is saying that, you retarded schizo nigger
learn to read
I said the only reason you’d have issues with that profile is if you were reliant on color picking, then you went on some retarded tangent
>>
>>5132304
Everyone except you has issues with that profile.

I'd love to be a bit more nigger though, could use a slight tan.
>>
>>5132418
stop being a gorilla nigger instead of fantasizing about being even more niggerish and you won’t have any issues either
>>
>>5132436
I like that, a bit of buff gorilla too. Thank you!
>>
>>5132073
weird, only heard of that once.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.