[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Manga-1-min-2048x934.jpg (281 KB, 2048x934)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
The general thread for Manga / manga-styled comic-making and Manga-style illustration.

Support each other and talk about your work or the work of others that excites you. Inking, character design, paneling / layout, writing, planning, and other discussions are all welcome.

Post resources, questions, in-progress pages, breakdowns of other works, etc. If a work is not yours, credit the maker (unless it's fucking obvious like a full page of One Piece or something).

Thanks to everyone for making /mmg/ a level-headed and helpful place. Remember, drawing and making comics and manga are difficult endeavors, and we're all in this struggle together.

Previous thread: >>5280275

Some resources:

/asg/, our stylistic sister-thread series >>>/ic/asg

Books:
Understanding Comics

Making Comics

Manga in Theory and Practice: The Craft of Creating Manga
https://mega.nz/folder/Dd4hnZTC#EjMIcTDPLbWXkAJLPHx2Kg

Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting
https://archive.org/details/RobertMcKeeStorypdf/

2000AD Script Book
https://mega.nz/file/gtNQgY6L#p7vPA_fLOUwxINMBzAX62w_xx282FVQoMhUHDGtiCpE

Videos:
"Manga Senpai/Tokyo Name Tank", "SMAC! THE SILENT MANGA AUDITION COMMUNITY"
Habanero Scans: https://www.dailymotion.com/HabaneroScans/videos

Full MANBEN Series link: https://mega.nz/folder/9h1mUYSJ#8sJoO57nMP_JhjnujBXkpQ

https://www.naokiurasawa.com/
>>
Some western / indie publishers that seem to have a decent readership and are tolerant of or specifically cater to Manga:

Saturday AM ( https://www.saturday-am.com/ )
> Digital indie magazine, seems to be on the up-and-up
> Open submissions for long-form series; also distributes series currently being published elsewhere.
> Regularly publishes one-shots, making it a good potential outlet for already-finished work.

Noir Caesar ( https://www.noircaesar.com/ )
> Focuses on black (specifically African-American) content, but seems willing to publish anyone good enough.
> Seemingly series-based only.
> No "magazine" style updates; series are updated on their own schedule.
> Seems less regular than Saturday AM, but also seems larger in terms of readership.

Oni Press ( https://onipress.com/ )
> Technically indie, but at this point large enough by comic standards to be mentioned in the same breath as other publishers.

Antarctic Press ( https://antarctic-press.myshopify.com/ )
> Longtime large-indie publisher of OEL / manga-esque books.
> Seemingly taking submissions at present if http://www.antarctic-press.com/html/submissions.php is anything to go on.

Yen Press ( https://yenpress.com/ )
> Started out as a small indie publisher of original / Korean material, and has grown reasonably popular since.
> As of 2016, it is also one of the western arms of the Kadokawa Corporation's publishing apparatus, with Kadokawa owning a 51% stake.
> Editorial inquiries can apparently be sent to yenpress@yenpress.com, however, they apparently are not open to new submissions at this time.

Viz Media / Viz Originals ( https://www.viz.com/originals )
> *The* western manga publisher.
> Currently in the exploratory stages of setting up an English label.
> Submissions are open and several books have been announced. However, progress on the label seems to be moving very slowly.
> Still might be worth a shot anyway.
>>
https://www.clipstudio.net/promotion/comiccontest/en/

International Comic/Manga Schools Contest 2021
>YOU MUST BE A STUDENT TO ENTER THIS CONTEST.
>This is a manga, comic, and illustration contest open to students worldwide. Winners are eligible for cash prizes, digital creation software, pen tablets, and chances to be featured in the media too! The contest is also an opportunity to have your work judged and critiqued by professional creators and boost your skills. There are many categories to choose from, and many opportunities to win prizes! We are looking forward to seeing your entries.
>Contest theme: Admiration
>Participant School Registration Nov 10 (Tues), 2020 ~ April 20 (Tues), 2021 9:00 (GMT)
>Work Submission Period Jan 12 (Tues) ~ April 29 (Thurs), 2021 9:00 (GMT)
>Winner Announcement Early July 2021

How (You) can help /mmg/:

> Know about a contest or a publishing opportunity? TAG THE OP and post a link.
> Have a new resource? TAG THE OP and link / mention it for inclusion.
> Have a link / DL for a mentioned resource? TAG THE OP and mention what you're supplying a link for.
> SCREENSHOT / PASTEBIN effortposts that help you for posterity.
>>
thoughts on this chart? I want to make sure it's readable.
>>
File: IMG_20210402_195836.jpg (337 KB, 1080x1439)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
What's others opinions on the idea of making a manga that is specifically formatted like a slideshow, with music and basic special effects added to it (the screen will rumble when there's an explosion or flash when there is lightning etc)...like how I see some people do translated manhwa or animated manga on youtube for example.

I kind of like the idea, it saves me having to think about panel layouts as much, as I can just chop and change it all to play out a certain way in the slideshow/animation...would this be a cool way to go about doing a comic? (providing I pull my finger out of my ass and start practicing digital art properly).
>>
>>5311047
I mean I can read it, but what is the objective of this panel? composition wise
>>
File: jhjkhikojh.png (228 KB, 703x951)
228 KB
228 KB PNG
>>5311092
here's the whole page
>>
can you guys post the books that togashi (creator of hunter x hunter) reads for ideas and inspiration some one posted it b4 but I forgot
>>
>>5311080
Yeah, I dig the idea. Senyuu, KKHTA, and Osana Reimu are some examples I can think off the top of my head that did this sort of thing, and I enjoyed them well enough.
>>
How do you go about creating your universe graphically? I mean by that create your cartography, create all your cities with their own architectures and that everything is coherent. I don't know of any book that talks about this subject.
>>
File: 1617410163647.jpg (130 KB, 383x500)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>5311428
Based on the two year hiatus and doodles, it must've been this
>>
>>5311458
Cool, I'll check them out, thanks.
>>
>>5311080
Sounds like a visual novel?
>>
>>5311047
>>5311105
I love this anon, not sure what kind of story you're writing but it gives you those mystery solving vibes (think like Ace Attorney and Danganronpa).
>>
File: danganronpa rejects.png (310 KB, 925x956)
310 KB
310 KB PNG
>>5311771
>but it gives you those mystery solving vibes (think like Ace Attorney and Danganronpa).
my second group of arcs is the main group against a bunch of danganronpa rejects lol.

you can read it here btw
devilsmoon.cfw.me
>>
>>5311882
>the white male is hooded, shaded and meek
>the black male is swaggering and assertive, wearing clothes that fit his muscled form (and is the boyfriend of a white female)
Mutt's Law
>>
File: aaa.png (185 KB, 717x856)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
>>5311486
I forgot to respond to this but Kishimoto is probably the best reference for this since his universe is very well developed visually. if you want to do what he does, then do so by referencing things that inspire your universe. Naruto was entirely constructed by referencing Japanese folk lore and myth (the three sannin, susano, the biju, so much more.) there's a reason samurai 8 was a failure, because kishimoto can construct visually interesting worlds, his stories come after. Go jump around the naruto storm 1 /naruto path of ninja open world villages, it's really good inspiration for world design.

if you want to build a world like that, take your ideas and give them a couple reference points and build from there. and make sure everything is able to connect in some way so it doesn't clash when you have those elements meet in some way.

I made my latest comic take place in real life after I realized I was bad at this part

>>5311887
I feel bad for laughing at this but you're right in your observation about Clifford being a very meek person and I think it's really good you caught that with just one picture of him.
>>
>>5311912
>I think it's really good you caught that with just one picture of him
Nobody draws people with that hairstyle and that outfit without wanting them to be a bitch. If you think I'm complimenting the guy's face then you've got me fucked up because it doesn't really say anything beyond "i am srs", I knew before I even looked at the face that he was the beta of the group purely because of your choice of clothing/hair cliches

Similarly nobody with the nigger's hairstyle is ever timid
>>
File: hghjghjg.png (18 KB, 239x574)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>5311936
>he pulled out slurs when I just wanted to make bants
>>
>>5311952
You took my comment the wrong way so I had to make sure you knew I was being completely insulting towards your derivative, boring Blacked fanfic. Your thinking is entirely governed by cliches. I've never seen your work but let me give a few sweeping guesses as to the personalities of the other two: Mysterious raven-haired (and it's always short) tough girl prone to icy anger, manic and often-feisty Samus-esque blonde (they always have flowing hair)?
>>
File: 1563475044342.png (24 KB, 629x581)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>5311962
my dude, you're the one who made it about race. Tina isn't even in the image and you assumed she was white, and was one of the girls here just because I made mention of the dude having a girlfriend on his design page. you're projecting your own ideas onto my work with your own assumptions over one black character. your own dipshit assumptions is the thing creating the "problem" you so desperately want my work to have.

also no, both character guesses were wrong.
>>
>>5311988
Bro at least own up to being kind of interested in interracial lol. nobody makes such a huge distinction between white guys and black guys in their art unless they have a fetish to inject, not that there's anything wrong with that but I mean cmon, just look at the pic you posted
>>
File: dyson.png (1.6 MB, 2863x4082)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB PNG
>>5311990
>nobody makes such a huge distinction between white guys and black guys in their art unless they have a fetish to inject
please stop replying to my posts with retarded ramblings.
>>
>>5311882
>Sponsored by Dogfart
>>
>>5311999
Slimy coward, at least own and defend your work if you're going to post blacked fapfics in the thread
>>
File: 1593302975675.png (31 KB, 202x250)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>5311887
>>5311936
>>5311962
>>5311990
>>5312007
That's some embarrassing projection bro.
>>
File: paramore.png (299 KB, 642x928)
299 KB
299 KB PNG
>>5312020
I've been laughing for several minutes
>>
This happened in the last thread where someone tried to share a link to their work that involved black characters, too. People are catching on. First the artists posts a link to their shit, then they samefag and respond to their own work pretending to be a retarded /pol/yp spouting racist conspiracies, then they sit back and rake in the positive attention they get from the fallout of strangers coming in to defend them and call the /pol/yp's criticism of their work stupid.
"Hey Rabbi, whatcha doing?"
>>
File: IMG_20200224_020332.jpg (98 KB, 1792x1070)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>5312029
this makes absolutely zero sense. you're just trying to rationalize how someone could spout such absolute nonsense by thinking it HAS to be same fagging.
>>
>>5312039
was going to call that guy retarded but now I actually do believe it's you
>>
File: k.png (123 KB, 884x638)
123 KB
123 KB PNG
>>5312057
>dude you don't get it it makes total sense
>make a post complimenting my art
>reply to it with more art as myself
>reply to that art as a 3rd guy saying some dumb /pol/ shit
>reply to that guy as myself trying to banter
>reply to myself as 3rd guy being more antagonistic
>THEN reply as myself getting mad at 3rd guy
>ONLY THEN WILL I GET POSITIVE ATTENTION ON MY ARTWORK ON THE FOUR LEAF CLOVER IMAGE BOARD.
k dude.
>>
File: 1474911101269.png (591 KB, 895x955)
591 KB
591 KB PNG
>I've been laughing for several minutes
>>
>>5312029
Nah, some of the people on here are just retarded /pol/fags. I remember one guy bitching about affirmative action when the results of the shonen jump contest were announced because one of the winners was from Chile.
>>
Where can I print manga tankobon format that can take less than 30 piece without extra charge ? They're fully coloured. I just want to test the market because my Kickstarter are unsuccessful.
>>
>>5311487
no someone posted books that he read I think it was group of books that mangakas read 1 of the books were kakin
>>
File: lol.png (161 KB, 1243x871)
161 KB
161 KB PNG
>>5312039
Different poster from the people you've been talking to here. Can confirm you're just a 2 IQ cringeposter.

If you're not going to offer serious feedback or discussion in /mmg/ then just fuck off.
>>
>>5311952
People read manga and watch anime to get away from black people
>>
>>5312099
Well. Was it good? The Chilliean's work?
>>
>>5312180
you’re part of the reason why the mmg is dying. Why would I want to post my work here and be associated with you cunts?
>>
>>5312183
Art wise it was mid-tier but everything else made up for it. The paneling, story telling, composition, expression, energy, etc were all top-tier. But anyway, the point is that it's silly to think the editors of shonen jump are going to pick a winner because of affirmative action. They pick shit that they think people will read. Where it comes from doesn't matter. It's also pretty disrespectful to the artist.
>>
>make black character
>rightoids attack you for daring to have a black character
>wokies attack you for [insert woke bullshit]
just don't, at best make it ambiguous or even turn the character into a latino or MENA because nobody gives a fuck about those for some reason
>>
>>5312126
i need thiss
>>
>>5312425
I wouldn't let americans decide what I put in my comics.
>>
>>5312425
>caring about what twitter retards think
Why?
>>
>>5312425
That's why kemono manga is the best to avoid those skinlet politics
>>
>>5312476
By America do you mean USA or the Americas.
Because if you are living in Europe and put black characters in your comic then honestly, you have no knowledge of black people and shouldn't pretend like you know what black people are like. At best you would write a white washed black person.
I'm not saying all black people suck, but if you have no experience with blacks then why are you writing black characters?
>>
>>5312741
That's like saying you shouldn't write X historical fiction "because you don't know what people were like then and there!!"
>>
>>5312741
Maybe because he’s writing them as people and not a skin color?
>all asians are the same person
>all white people are same person
>all 4chan is the same person
>>
>>5312113
PYW
>>
>>5312741
There are black people in Europe, but real out-of-the-Congo blacks, not the watered-down American types
>>
Don't entertain this political baiting. A zero-tolerance policy for this bullshit is what keeps this thread on track.
>>
>>5312741
>By America do you mean USA or the Americas.
USA obviously, twitter gets offended by anything so there's no reason to censor yourself and limit your vision for the sake of not triggering autists who have nothing better to do with their time.
>>
Skitzoposting the thread
Get help
>>
What are the best manga/comics to study from for sci-fi/fantasy backgrounds and mechanical design? I already have books regarding WWII military vehicles at home, but I legit can't think of other mangakas that are masters with machinery that aren't Toriyama or Shirow.
>>
File: BLAME_pipes.png (2.26 MB, 1250x891)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB PNG
>>5313258
for backgrounds Blame! maybe?
>>
>>5313266
>>5313258
oh and otomo obviously for tech backgrounds
>>
>>5313258
>mechanical design
Unironically, model kits and plamo books.
>>5313266
There's a cute postscript sequence in one of the earlier volumes for Knights of Sidonia where Nihei depicts his struggles coming up with the base design for the Gardes. He originally wanted to do everything with 3d modelling software but got too overwhelmed by it and just decided to go down to his local hobby shop and kitbash some plastic parts together.
>>
>>5313271
actually I'ld just post it here; it's two pages
>>
>>5313281
*I'll
>>
>>5313271
yeah. i don't like the art style in sidonia as much as in blame though, especially when he switches to that broken line crap halfway through. but the making a model of your oc robot is cool
>>
>>5313290
I actually like the scratchier art style he adopted halfway through; it was like the only thing that kept me reading till the end.
>>
>>5313310
But yeah a lot of mangaka who do mechanical designs usually just draw from reference. It's why the garage model kit scene was so big in the 1980s.
>>
>>5311009
Where do I post my manga when I make it?
>>
>>5311009
I was looking into Manga Senpai/Tokyo Name Tank and I found out there were some missing videos. Is there anywhere I can find the missing videos or not?
>>
>>5311487
that's not it you faggot got my Hope's up are there any hunterchads in here post the books togashi reads that help him write so amazing
>>
File: 1617432604109.png (398 KB, 640x480)
398 KB
398 KB PNG
Upon reading this post, you must now post your:
- short term goal
- mid term goal
- what you are doing/will do to achieve your goals
- your "dream" (modern society is all about being postmodern and ironic, oh dreams? Lol so cringe. Well FUCK that.)
>>
File: ExTwOPQVgAQ3U91.jpg (632 KB, 1080x1920)
632 KB
632 KB JPG
>>5313493
I'll start.
- short term goal: complete my chapter 1 storyboard so I can get it edited.
- mid term goal: publish my mangas first chapters online.
- what you are doing/will do to achieve your goals: working at least 5 minutes every day to establish a habit.
- your "dream": get serialized in shonen jump
>>
File: 1617438801934.jpg (94 KB, 494x800)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>5313496
And I meant to remove the gay quotations from "dream" but forgot. You should ignore the quotes. It should be a fully unironic dream that you believe with all of your heart.
>>
>>5313486
Do your own homework, nobody else knows wtf you're rambling on about.
>>
>>5313486
Look at interviews with the guy. He takes inspiration from "movies where people die" which ends up being horror/thriller stuff. He doesn't really talk about drawing but he seems to like talking about his inspirations for writing. He really likes making people get attached to a chatacter and then killing all of the characters off.
>>
File: EhCiX50WAAIhEsG.jpg (795 KB, 1815x2048)
795 KB
795 KB JPG
>>5311428
>>5312126
>>5313517
>>5313504
I found it its alot to read damn
>>
File: 1617481561969.jpg (16 KB, 400x400)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>5313526
> Too autistic to recognize a joke
I love HxH anon but damn.
>>
File: 1617442174513.jpg (203 KB, 1948x1003)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
So, anons have no short term and mid term goals, or are doing nothing about any goals they might have, and have no dreams. Feels bad.
>>
>>5313546
i was gonna post but i dont wanna get made fun of
>>
File: 1617381202558.jpg (97 KB, 919x1024)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>5313548
That's exactly why you'll always be a little bitch.
> Abloobloo what if someone makes fun of my dreams and passions?
If it's your fucking DREAM you go for it fucking dumbass. This is EXACTLY the societal conditioning I was talking about. You are a slave... To your superiors, or your inferiors, to society, to yourself.
State your fucking dream. And actually mean it. So that there's stakes. If you fail, it will suck. Because you actually really wanted it.
State your fucking dream. And break out of your pathetic chains.
>>
>>5313526
anon...that's a meme. I highly doubt Togashi read all of that shit.
>>
>>5313552
keep begging
>>
File: 1617495497502.png (223 KB, 426x531)
223 KB
223 KB PNG
>>5313570
Aight stay pathetic. I guess most of the competent people left this thread, what with the blacked nonsense and whatnot
>>
File: hinamatsuri19.png (568 KB, 915x937)
568 KB
568 KB PNG
>>5313493
>short term goal
Write the first story arc of my current project and storyboard the first chapter
>mid term goal
Draw and release ^
>what you are doing/will do to achieve your goals
Work hard. I have plenty of time atm but I also have other projects I'm working on too, and the everpresent distraction of the internet and hobbies outside of writing/drawing. It's very easy for me to just do any of that stuff instead of this.
>your dream
I want to make a great work that will have relevance for generations to come. I want to make a Taxi Driver, a Lord of the Rings, a Blame -- not in content, but in the way these works remain influential and somewhat relevant even decades later, the way they, while not completely timeless, transcend their time period to a degree. I want to create something that leaves a legacy. I want to attain mastery and put that mastery to use. I want to put my country on the map regarding comics, to influence and inspire those who come after me.
>>
>>5313310
>>5313314
This is a really neat art style, I really like it. Definitely shows how you can play loose but still pack a lot of detail into your pages. The idea that everything has to be super refined and detailed is silly.
>>
>>5313493
Honestly I'm not even sure how to answer these questions anymore. I know that the only reason why I draw is because I want to make things, but comics were initially sort of a side-thing that I was considering until I got a "real" job in animation / videogames and climbed that latter to the point where people would start trusting me to make my own stuff.

I feel like I should cut out the middle man with comics, but at the same time I do still want to do those other things too and / or have a career. I'm really not sure what to do anymore. I might work on comics as a hobby still if I do end up getting something, but at the same time I feel like I want to try and condition myself to get into comics seriously and give it a solid shot.
>>
>>5313493
>short term goal
Start from square one, drawing every day.
>mid term goal,
Go to college/ university for philosophy, art and writing.
>what you are doing/ will do to achieve your goals
Overcoming social anxieties by doing volunteer work and being more active in the community.
>your dream
Become self actualized.
>>
>>5313672
how can someone make a living with comics? I really want to get into it seriously too but I feel like its a dead end, financially
>>
>>5313705
Get your foot in the door with a publisher. Look at page rates for different companies, it's a solid living if you have good work ethic.
>>
>>5313526
No, Togashi doesn't read books, anon. He watches movies. He said he likes movies like Alien and zombie movies and stuff. Books are not movies.
>>
>>5313717
oh damn. i dont know anything about this, I'll have to do some research
>>
>>5313420
If you’re posting it online the only two options seem to be WEBTOON and tapas. I think the audience on there is mostly on the younger side so it sucks if you’re trying to do something more mature.
>>
>>5313723
Tapas is better for a more mature audience, Webtoons is generally younger and more infected with fujos.
>>
>>5313719
>>5313562
>>5313526
i love the way he set up the succession war arc and York new city arc
>>
>>5313526
Maybe his editors have read all of that...
>>
what if you make it big on patreon from a manga will you have to worry about being bought out and monopolies
>>
>>5313552
lissen man that dream talk is pretty but it will be wort absolutely nothing if the dude doesn't put his ass to work.

>>5313546
just do your thing, doesn't matter if you wanna talk about it or not, but just put yourself to work
>>
>>5313723
>>5313768
people in Japan aim to make a living through manga by being serialized by a manga magazine.

Is the situation the same here with the west, except with Webtoons and Tapas? Does getting featured nearly guarantee a steady livable income, presuming you keep up the quality?
>>
>>5313895
Apparently yes, the salary is decent. I've heard that the tippy tippy top people get like 60k a year, which is insane if true. No idea what the pay is like for the "lesser" featured comics.

The real issue though is becoming featured is apparently a huge pain in the ass, and the uploads not only have to be weekly but also have to be long enough to keep people satisfied.
>>
>>5313929
damn i wish there was more information. i dont even know where to do my research. I only get quora and reddit pages when i do google searches

sometimes i hear korean webtoon artists make hundreds of thousands a year. Wish that were also true here, in the west
>>
File: pop squat girls.jpg (824 KB, 650x550)
824 KB
824 KB JPG
Hi folks, we went ahead and made a /co/ version called Comic Making General /cmg/
We also have a link to /mmg/ in the OP, it'd be great if we could team up, share authors/readers and maybe even start a joint event?
>>>/co/122084061

Anyway, I'll be sharing my works later. cheers
>>
>>5314553
Your thread looks like /beg/.
>>
>>5314598
Don't be an ass.
>>
>>5313895
>Is the situation the same here with the west
Yes
>except with Webtoons and Tapas?
God no.
>Does getting featured nearly guarantee a steady livable income, presuming you keep up the quality?
Absolutely not. At least for a real publisher (think IDW, DarkHorse, etc) you are getting paid a solid page rate and you should get a small amount of royalties for the copies sold. Tapas pays you in the realm of pennies per page view, and with Webtoons you are only allowed to make money at a certain number of followers and views, a number that webtoons is known to manipulate and take away from people they dont like.

It's much more difficult to make and keep a steady livable income off of shit like webtoons and tapas. You are much more likely to get real income off of getting serialized with a publisher.
>>
>>5311009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSf0UYDi9sA

can anyone tell me what method he is doing as in the name and any resource to learn/read about it (im new to draiwng in general im sorry if this has been asked )
>>
>>5313768
Does tapas jew me out of the rights for my content like Webtoon does?
>>
>>5314609
but isn't being featured a lot of work? Do they expect people to put out a complete full-color chapter every week part-time?
>>
>>5314756
What are you talking about? Webtoons doesn't take any rights unless you get featured. Tapas rips your rights from you basically as soon as you post anything to the platform, it was a big scandal a couple of years back.
>>
>>5313839
People don't work without dreams. You put the cart in front of the horse.
>>
>>5314868
You can do everything they ask and if you don't explode in popularity fast they absolutely will make people suddenly mass unfollow you all at the same time so you lose your featured status. If you aren't absolutely raking in the cash for them you are terminated.
>>
>>5315205
doubt, but ok.
>>
File: Chapter8_storyfile_015.png (1.66 MB, 2900x4000)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB PNG
new pages are out. making them was a painful process. please don't reply schizo shit again

read:
http://devilsmoon.cfw.me/comics/203/
https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/devils-moon/list?title_no=201767

>>5314553
I'm desperately hoping this and it's discord don't end up being a /hyw/ rebrand/reskin with the same problems.
>>
>>5315501
Why does the cat have human eyebrows? It's so weird. And his pupils are so tiny. Jesus. It's like that painting of a cat with a human face all over again.
>>
File: 31.png (465 KB, 2863x4082)
465 KB
465 KB PNG
>>5315723
because I am fucking terrible at drawing cats.
>>
>>5315320
>if you don't explode in popularity fast they absolutely will make people suddenly mass unfollow you all at the same time so you lose your featured status.
This sounds kind of conspiratorial. Do we have any evidence of this?
>>
>>5311047
What font is that?
>>
File: page 1.jpg (407 KB, 800x1206)
407 KB
407 KB JPG
ok guys, how did i do here (and yes, i made em big, that's the point)
>>
>>5311009
Can someone redpill me about paneling?
Is there a rule to the shape of a panel that has to be respected or i can make a panel in any shape or form i want?
Also what sort of paneling is important for the first page of a manga?
>>
>>5316790
you're not drawing panels you're drawing pages. you put whatever the fuck you want on a page and that includes any shaped panel you want or no panel at all. obviously there's basic conventions (stay out of the gutter, reading order) but they're guidelines you can break for effect if you want to
>>
>>5316790
araki said panelling is like dividing your essay into paragraphs. Theres no right or wrong to it. The main thing to watch for is to get rid of redundant panels, the emphasize what you think is important, and to control the timing and pacing of your scene.
>>
>>5316666
really nice page overall.
>>
guys i dont mean to sound stupid but how do i get good at drawing in a manga style? theres a ton of resources online but the end result never looks the same as art by real mangakas, idk what to do. before you ask i have decent fundies and im ok at realism
>>
>>5316944
A lot of drawing
Post sum work
>>
>>5316945
i dont have any manga art to share i always delete it cause i think it looks terrible. i can try to draw something quickly for you tho gimme a sec
>>
>>5316950
nvm i cant
>>
>>5316944
>theres a ton of resources online but the end result never looks the same as art by real mangakas
People always say this about western art but they never point out how or why. How do they look different?
>>
>>5316908
I have my reserve on some of the stuff i did here, but thanks. I aim to be better at every page. Let's hope i'll do it!
>>
>>5316944
I think the only way is to copy manga art you like. Will probably take you several months
>>
is there anyway to make money while being anonymous from manga if you dont want to be in the shonen jump weekly mag
>>
>>5316944
>guys i dont mean to sound stupid but how do i get good at drawing in a manga style? theres a ton of resources online but the end result never looks the same as art by real mangakas, idk what to do. before you ask i have decent fundies and im ok at realism
Stop worrying about drawing in a "manga style" and instead start worrying about just training yourself to draw as quickly as you can. That's what makes up a lot of the "manga style", corner cutting and quickly inked line work. Even when they take the time to draw something detailed that style of having very little time to draw a lot if stuff is present because that's how their career trained them to draw.
>>
File: 1593583828886.png (241 KB, 529x500)
241 KB
241 KB PNG
>>5316513
CC Wild Words. Anime Ace is a similar font, both are good fonts but they lack capitalization. it's really weird

>>5316666
satan booba
>>
>>5317670
i think most comics dont have lowercase letters
>>
>>5317128
I wanna know this to is it possible to be 100% anonymous being a mangaka getting paid thru something ?
>>
>>5317785
Partially. It's possible to publish under a pseudonym so your readers and the general public wont know who you are but someone (like an editor or publisher) has to know who you actually are so they can pay you. It's not something you really need to worry about if you're just starting out tho imo.
>>
is there a place where we can sell finished one-shots?
>>
>>5318088
Besides Gumroad? Check out some indie publishers. It'll depend on the quality of what you've made though.
>>
>>5318103
ah, okay. any publishers you know off the top of your head? (or are they all pretty obscure?)
>>
>>5318106
Check the sticky for starters. Besides that, it'll depend on the quality of what you're actually putting out. There are plenty of indie publishers and comic book collectives out there.

This list: https://jasonthibault.com/definitive-list-comic-publisher-submission-guidelines/ is also a good resource. I don't know how many publishers here actually deal with Manga, but I should probably add this to the stickies anyway, as having browsed it several times I find it to be a pretty good resource.
>>
Do you htink its okay to call your comic a manga if you aren't japanese? Like i want to try for a manga inspired style. Might use some shading and tone techniques fron manga based sources as well. But I wonder if I should just call it a webcomic instead.
>>
>>5318736
Call it whatever you want. The only people who will complain about what you call your comic are the kinds of people who probably wouldn't read it anyway.
>>
>>5318108
thank you so much
>>
>>5311009
May I suggest another addition to the book collection?
"Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga"
A humorous guide to draw manga, in a similar vein to Scott McCloud's "How to draw Comics" books.

https://kupdf.net/download/even-a-monkey-can-draw-manga_58b9ca16e12e89233badd376_pdf
>>
>>5319660
thx for the recc, anon
>>
idk about you guys but i find storyboarding to be so ridiculously fun and satisfying. Wish I had an art friend so they could do the pencilling and inking.
>>
>>5319790
For me it's the most mentally engaging, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. It's good because once I'm into it I feel like my brain's on fire, but if I'm not into it it's just very draining.
>>
do you think it's possible to pay in bitcoins to view a webcomic if you dont want to use paypal
>>
Question: how do you choose the best font for your manga?
>>
>>5320023
i use anime ace cuz its free for personal use (even if you're making money off of it, as long as its not being sold by a company or commercially)
>>
>>5319790
Personally I find going in and lining all the complex stuff to be the most satisfying. That might be because I know my panel layout is kinda garbage though. For some reason I just don't know how to come up with good page compositions.
>>
I always cant help but to wonder how long some amateur doujin artists have been drawing for. They usually get the job done with poses and expression, it'll be wonky but still fun and effective. Like those old dragon quest doujins. Maybe 4-8 years of experience and then they continue to level up
>>
>>5320023
I just use what I think looks nice. I try not to go for crazy wacky fonts, nor generic arial or TNR.
>>
>>5320136
I find that in composition, leading the eye is the most important thing, especially for comics. You lead the eye so you can clearly tell the story. So basically, composition and gesture are synonymous, at least for the way I work. It’s all storytelling. Of course, managing your layout (foreground, mid ground, backgrounds) and contrasts are important too, but in terms of clear storytelling rhythm lines are king. You don’t have to lead the eye from panel to panel but within a single panel, leading the eye is important. Especially for big splash panels
>>
How do i stay inspired and imaginative? Some days i feel like i have no imagination at all. Others it hits in a complete wave. I don't get those waves as much as i used to tho. How do i counter this decline?
>>
>>5320186
Read doujins and fan comics
>>
>>5320186
>How do i counter this decline?
By having no choice but to put SOMETHING out. That's how actual mangaka do it, if they don't do something then they lose their job. Deadlines can be very motivating.
>>
Probably an unrelated question.
But I've seen tons of ero manga artists that add "38a" at the end of their nickname/display name.

What does it mean?
>>
>>5316666

I'm loving this so far, we need more cute slice of life comics with busty cuties. What are some of your inspiration sources?
>>
>>5320023
I just hand-letter, simpler for me
>>
>>5319790
That's where you can go crazy with the angles and poses etc, zero restrictions with perspective, proportions etc, those you can leave all for later, just do a cool panel
>>
>>5319660
Holy shit this is great
>>
>>5320023
Wild Words CC? or whatever scanlators use.
>>
bump
>>
pre-emptive bump
>>
I'm gonna make a dragon quest doujin one day bros
>>
File: 1598136065505.jpg (53 KB, 512x512)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>5322539
i dare u to start today
>>
>>5322542
I fucking would but I have no idea how to draw monsters. They'd end up as cursed deviant art monsters
>>
>>5322150
>>5322530
did the thread even need bumping
>>
>>5322888
it was 11 hrs dead the first time, and 5 hrs the second time, but i was about to sleep and I dont want the thread going past 12 hrs. The animation general died at 10 hrs once.
>>
>>5322848
>I fucking would but
Coward.
>>
Without going into too much detail, how does this hook/premise sound to you?

>In a city long lost to the forces of darkness, a young girl gifted with precognitive abilities is a new recruit in a underground war where she must battle against enemies hidden in plain sight. The fate of mankind rests on her shoulders.
>>
>>5323011
Boring
>>
>>5323011
Sounds like a generic Bandai Namco game
>>
>>5323011
It doesn't tell me anything about what makes this story unique, contains no unique story hooks, and describes nothing about the world.
>>
>>5323409
I don’t get it. What isn’t unique about a girl Dune-like prescient vision fighting monsters than can take the shape of humans a la Matrix?

Can you give me example of manga that do the “unique story hook“ you’re describing?
>>
File: 1595695977997.jpg (87 KB, 960x720)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>5323423
>What isn’t unique about
>Dune-like
>a la Matrix
>>
>>5323423
>What isn’t unique about a girl Dune-like prescient vision fighting monsters than can take the shape of humans a la Matrix?
The fact that none of this is contained in your pitch. Read through what you've given to us again.

>In a city long lost to the forces of darkness,
is a meaningless setup. We the audience have no way of knowing what this is supposed to mean.
>a young girl gifted with precognitive abilities
"Precognition" is a standard power in fiction. We have no idea if it works in any unique ways or has any unique qualifiers.
>is a new recruit in a underground war where she must battle against enemies hidden in plain sight.
Again, entirely meaningless.
>The fate of mankind rests on her shoulders.
This is the case for most action stories.

If you're working within a certain length for your hook, axe the first and last sentences for room and work in more unique elements of your story. As an example, here's a hook that was written for the IMDB page of My Hero Academia:

>A superhero-loving boy without any powers is determined to enroll in a prestigious hero academy and learn what it really means to be a hero.

Immediately, we get the following information:
>this world is full of superheroes
>in fact, it's so full of heroes that there are schools that they have their own schools.

And we get the unique story hook:
>a kid with no powers in a superhero school.

"Superhero school" has been done before, for years, and is also the entire basis of the surrounding lore for the X-Men, and it is thus for this reason that this elevator pitch emphasizes the unique hook of "normal kid in a superhero school" and leaves you to figure out the rest.
>>
Not to be mean using this anon as an example but >>5323011
Is typing a premise in that fashion seen as tiresome by now or are they done so often still because they work to the mass audience? Like
>In a world way one man....
Kinda style, or should it be avoided?
>>
>>5323423
>>5323440

Here's another example in the form of the IMDB tag for Attack on Titan:

>After his hometown is destroyed and his mother is killed, young Eren Jaeger vows to cleanse the earth of the giant humanoid Titans that have brought humanity to the brink of extinction.

Immediately we know that:
>there are giant monsters
>they've killed almost everyone

>some dumb kid is going to try and kill all the giant monsters that have killed everyone else.

With this in mind, let's take
>Dune-like prescient vision fighting monsters than can take the shape of humans a la Matrix
and reformat it into something that contains a hook and extra detail in a similar manner. Consider:

>After suddenly developing the ability to see the future, a young girl is dragged into a desperate shadow war against a shapeshifting enemy whose true forms only she can predict.

Immediately, we know that:
>there are shapeshifting things working behind the scenes
>things aren't going well

>girl with the perfect ability for the job plays 900 IQ mindgames against people with perfect disguises.

You don't have to go with this specific suggestion, but reformatting your logline into something that similarly includes more important information while presenting it snappily is ideal.
>>
>>5323447
Think on this: The wearisome "In a world where..." trailers were almost entirely replaced by the even more annoying, trying-to-be-original, artsy formula of:
>lone piano note
>cut to character looking perplexed
>tiny buildup
>action
>trailer ends with loud Inception horn sound followed by the name of the movie being displayed in total silence

I'm reminded of that fake David Foster Wallace quote about how maybe noone's done barracudas yet
>>
>>5323449
Kek I fucking hate american movie trailers
>horror film has flickering and grungy title spoken
Now I want to share one of my favorite modern anime trailers
https://youtu.be/mZvLYCS9Qmg
>>
>>5320536
Basically, i'm inspired by Ojiro Makoto, but with hentai tier tits
>>
File: 1586705152401.jpg (209 KB, 985x739)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
How do I avoid becoming a hack like Isayama?
>>
>>5323440
>>5323448
Alright, this was useful. Thank you. The lesson here is presentation.

Basically I’m trying to distill my story idea into its simplest components in order to keep the opening chapter focused on the elements that will be most interesting to a reader.

I’ll have a think and I’ll come back with more later, when I have time to sit and write something down.

But for the sake of context, and since this might be useful for you guys as well, I’ll give a bit of info. I heard back from Editor-san. He said two key things:

1. He liked the pilot as a story, and how it fleshed out the characters. Told me to fix some issues with panelling and reduce the dialogue, and then go ahead and ink it and submit it for the award, as he thinks it’s good enough to win.

2. However, he said this: “I don’t feel that the concepts of “witch” and “cards” are all that interesting, as they don’t seem pertinent to the story.”
> 漫画は根本的に言えば「誰が」「何をする」の部分が一番面白くなればいけません。
In manga the “who” and “what do” must be the most interesting aspects.

And it’s true when you look at the pilot I presented where the role of a witch is essentially a bounty/monster hunter.

Thus, I need to think more deeply about “what is a witch exactly” how that relates to the characters, and how that relates more concretely to the stakes and conflict at hand.

What makes the concept interesting to me, is the early renaissance/inquisition setting, and the power system. The tarot card power system is one of those things that when I have a chance to properly set up it will give a lot of mileage in generating interesting fights. But it’s also the thing that requires FAR more exposition and set up for the reader to get (no it’s not like YuGiOh, no it’s not like this, no it’s not like that, etc...) than what you can fit in a single opening chapter.

1/3
>>
>>5324243
And this is something I noticed when I posted the pitch summaries in previous threads. People seemed more drawn to the Ch.1 pitch with the soul binding, over the pilot one (and with good reason - it is more interesting). But the problem is, even the soul binding aspect is too much to set up and have in a single chapter. As you have to introduce and set up TWO characters in a fantasy setting with lots of required exposition in order for things to click. If it was urban fantasy, then you COULD have the “boy meets girl” angle as the start and have her be the vehicle for exposition on this normal world. But the setting is already NOT normal, thus it’s not interesting enough to start it off with him when the character people should care about is the witch. Not the normal dude. The soul binding sucks for her because it gives her a massive weakness in an already high stakes game. If this was the story about the guy becoming a witch, then you could start it there, but it’s not. It’s a story about her.

So, I took a step back. Ch.1 is your pitch essentially. Ch.1 has to focus entirely on her character, who she is, what makes her special, and what the world and stakes at hand are. AND it has to be hype. It has to get the reader invested on the idea of “oh yeah, this is going to be cool.”

2/3
>>
>>5324238
Probably by having a clear idea on how your ending is going to be and what leads to that point.

Also let's be honest AoT gone full retard ever since they got to that euthanasia bullshit.
>>
>>5324247
Thus, the set up I’m going with is like what I wrote up there, ofc, I left a bunch of stuff out. She arrives in what is basically Yarnham. Think Buffy episode 1, she’s the new replacement for her predecessor who was brutally slaughtered. Her role is to be the person who collects all the major arcana. Everyone wants these cards cause they’re powerful, but having one also paints a massive target on your back. Think the headbands in Afro Samurai. There are lore reasons for why these are important outside of their strength, but in short: all witches are precogs, due to their ancestors fucking around with Eldricht shit, they gained “god-like” vision, and precognition is thus a genetic trait passed down from generation to generation. Now, because “man ate the forbidden fruit” rather than “being cast from paradise” they were “sentenced to death by God” essentially. It will use those Eden references because religion does play a role in the story. So that’s the setting. Horrors are essentially the “white blood cells” sent by God to exterminate humanity for their sins. So the set up is a little like Evangelion in that sense. You’ve got the horrors who essentially control society through official institutions of power and can blend in a regular humans, and witches who were largely exterminated and persecuted BECAUSE of the set up I previously mention, who basically operate in secret in this underground war, which is focused around this specific city. Both sides want and are fighting for the major arcana as they’re the key to the climax of the story.

So where does Alice fit into all this? Well, after her predecessor died, her master Oz suggests her as the new replacement as she’s a prodigy. She’s called to the city mid training and is told to take over. In the opening chapter she’s noticeably anxious about the burden being placed on her shoulders.

So now, it’s to take ALL that, distill it into what can fit in 1 chapter.
>>
>>5324243
>>5324247
>>5324269
isn't it a bit stressful figuring out how to tell stories on your first serialization? How many one-shots have you written (taken at least to the storyboards)?
>>
>>5324269
I didn’t manage to fit it in, but anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll have a think. But yeah, he loves the characters, loves the female MC but isn’t sold on the concept and thinks it’s holding them back, and it’s cause I’m not presenting the concept to him in an interesting way, not cause the concept isn’t interesting enough in and of itself.

If worst comes to worst, and I can’t find a way to distill all this into a gripping enough opening chapter, then I’ll probably just write a summary of everything and ask him to help. Regardless, he thinks the pilot can win the award.

Also, if you guys wanna know more about what he said in regard to essentials in making manga, let me know, and I’ll post more quotes from the email, there was a lot.
>>
>>5324279
I’ve done about.... 7 or so one shots. One shots are fundamentally different from a pitch though. A one shot can just be a short story. Which I’ve done a few of already. Your pitch however needs to be w microcosm of your entire concept and it needs to be INTERESTING.
>>
>>5324283
damn, i guess you're right. good luck, i have no advice
>>
>>5324284
Thanks. No worries. I think that as an audience, people here being able to tell me if they find something interesting or not is already very helpful.
>>
>>5324247
>People seemed more drawn to the Ch.1 pitch with the soul binding, over the pilot one (and with good reason - it is more interesting).
I prefer your pilot to be honest. I feel like the issue with you just describing the other premise is that it leaves too much room for imagination(much like the initial pitch you wrote). Someone might have a completely different vision in mind about what the witch/knight dynamics would be in your story. Maybe they expected a romance and that's not what you intend ect. Unless, you gave us both scripts side by side, it's hard to judge which one is better.

>>5324243
However, he said this: “I don’t feel that the concepts of “witch” and “cards” are all that interesting, as they don’t seem pertinent to the story.
I know you're really set on the cards. What exactly did you have in mind for them? Just spit balling, but you can always go the Cardcaptor route. Maybe tie the cards to Oz's soul? And Alice needs to collect them or finish collecting them to save his life/soul? Maybe they're cursed? Stuff like that. There's also this anime called Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor. Kind of meh show, but they did use tarot cards and magic in an interesting way.

>>5324269
Just saw this. Do you think you can reword this to make it easier to read?
>>
>>5324247
Oh yeah, I wanna add one more thing.

>It has to get the reader invested on the idea of “oh yeah, this is going to be cool.”

By this I mean, “it HAS to have a fight that shows off what the characters are capable of.” You don’t do a battle manga and not have a fight in your pitch. Which is why I distilled it to precognition. The cards are still their tools, but it’s the precog angle that I think makes for a more interesting, more easy to showcase, “oh yeah this is cool” angle when you see how it’s utilized in battle, in the way she moves and in the way her opponent reacts to realizing she’s able to peek into the future as they fight. It has to be cool right? Battle manga have to have that “oh shit, that’s dope!!” Kind of angle to them. Right?
>>
>>5324329
>Just saw this. Do you think you can reword this to make it easier to read?
Yes on both this and explaining the cards. Just gimme a moment to sit as I’m on my way to work atm. I’ll reply later when I have a bit more time.
>>
>>5324243
>>5324247
My question is: Why set up the power system in the first chapter?
Many, or maybe even most of the superhit shounen just kind of roll with only vague rules early on, then lay down a defined system later on. Probably because of exactly this problem: shit's too much to fit into the intro chapter. Let the intro chapter be a strong hook, explain the rules later.
>>
>>5324341
>You don’t do a battle manga and not have a fight in your pitch
There's exceptions though. HxH didn't have any combat at all for many chapters. Even though it's a "battle manga", it took an adventure manga approach where the focus was on embarking on a grand journey. It's important to have a clear idea of what kind of feeling you're trying to evoke and set your introduction up accordingly.
>>
>>5324455
Yeah, this is exactly it, which I guess ties a bit with what I was going to say to >>5324329

Here I am geeking out about how cool and unique my power system is, despite the fact that it REALLY doesn’t tie into narrative that much, and in fact it’s too hard to pitch as a concept without providing an “explained example.” It’d be like Brandon Sanderson for example frontloading Allomancy at the start of his story when you’ve got little context on what exactly makes it special. You said it yourself, all shounen manga give a vague example of how people fight, but don’t utilize that as the selling point. Which is why I went with precog instead, because it TIES to the power system, and meshes well with the idea of “what is a witch” but it’s also a much easier concept for the reader to “get” right off the bat, and sell it to them as something that will make the battles interesting, while at the same time being strongly linked to narrative and character. Dune being a fantastic example of this. Thus “a group of people with precognitive abilities known as witches” becomes a far easier sell overall, even if it has been done before, hell, Dune itself calls them the “Bene Gesserit Witches” several times. After all being a witch and seeing the future are two concepts that have gone hand-in-hand for ages.

> What exactly did you have in mind for them?
Ok, so in summary. You know all the crazy shit you can do in combo decks in MtG? Take that, and morph it into a power system for a battle manga. Disregard the Major Arcana for now, as they’re more the “magical McGuffin” the real meat is in the Minor Arcana and how you can combine cards for different spells and so on...

Cont...
>>
Basically, all of spellcasting is codified within the cards. Every single card correlates to a unique spell. They’re all divided among the 4 suits. Each suit specializing in something. Swords is Combat, Pentacles is Fate and Divination, Wands is Illusion, Trickery, and so on... and Cups referring to Change so Transformation, Transmutation, etc.... the colors in MtG are a decent point of reference. Each suit also has ties to a unique deity from where Witches draw their powers from, as the cards are really more a conduit to the abyss. Though this ties more to lore. The 4 deities can be compared to the 4 chaos gods in Warhammmer.

As for spellcasting itself. Each card basically does one spell. Low value cards are basic spells, and high value cards are more powerful. Additionally, you can also combine cards to produce a new spell.

So for example:

The 3 of Swords is “Double Strike” it essentially duplicates your next attack so yo attack simultaneously making your action more difficult to block.

So stab with your spear after casting double strike, now it’s two simultaneous strikes from similar angles.

Now, the Ace of Wands is “Flicker” which is basically Bleach’s Sumpo except you actually do blink out of existence for a split second giving it more utilitarian use.

So now, combine these two spells, and you get “Flank” you go to attack, and then you instantly blink to a blind spot for an immediate secondary strike.

And this is the most basic of basic examples. It obviously gets more complex with more powerful cards, especially since you can also combine more than just two cards. High level spells require a combination of multiple cards in fact.

It’s easy to see how you can make exciting battles with stuff like this when everyone is fighting with Halberds, Swords, and Primitive guns (as well as horrors who all have one unique trait).

In addition, you can also stack spells to create a combo.

Cont...
>>
So for example.
>Alice casts 3 “4 of Swords”
>4 of swords is the “Sword of Damocles” the card morphs into an energy blade that points itself at a target and fires on the user’s command
>thus three swords point themselves at a target
>she then stacks this with the 2 of Wands “Twincast” which copies the previously cast spell, and repeats it
>she then does a final stack in the sequence, which is a spell that perpetuates the action of the previously cast spell
>so three swords become six swords, nine, and so on, and so on...
>swords keep on materializing endlessly and soon shes got a room of blades at her back all pointed at a singular target that will fire off on her command.
Then ofc, different witches have affinities to different suits, and no one has w complete deck. An average deck really runs between 10-20 cards. Likewise, you are able run multiple copies of the same card. And witches essentially build their decks as they come across new cards as well.

It’s not a game though, so it’s not like they’re taking turns and drawing cards from the top or whatever. They’re actively trying to kill each other. So it’s closer to Naruto with the Jutsu. That said, knowing what your opponent is capable of is very important, as well as what they’re planning to do based on the cards they’re holding.

And ofc, there’s also limits to casting and the power system, but this is already long enough as is.

So hopefully this gives an idea of what I have in mind for the power system itself.
>>
How do you decide which format to use? I was thinking of using the JUMP format and adapting it according to each contest but I don't know if it is a good idea.
>>
>>5324643
>JUMP format
What even is this?
>>
File: ay lmao.png (318 KB, 962x671)
318 KB
318 KB PNG
finishing the last page of chapter 8. I finally get to draw a fight again soon

>>5324238
>how do I avoid making a masterpiece manga with a divisive ending
seethe bitch.

>>5324643
I don't think I understand the question. elaborate?
>>
>>5324647
>>5324647
CLIP STUDIO has a format for the JUMP magazine, as I think about participating in different manga competitions with slightly differences in measurements, would it be convenient to have an universal format? I don't want to think in one specific format for each contest.
>>
File: 9784087900224.jpg (385 KB, 840x1200)
385 KB
385 KB JPG
I don't normally come to /ic/ but has anyone ripped this new book? It's a book about creating manga published by Shueisha and it has interview from Jump mangaka. Chinese site doesn't post the full book.
>>
I’m really in love with Blue Exorcist atm
>>
I want to get started on comic making but I can hardly come up with casual and idle poses, anyone know where to get good references for really normal stuff?
>>
File: ha.png (63 KB, 580x456)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
Hilda describing your penis size, pic unrelated.
>>
>>5324743
but why
>>
Trying to draw consistent proportions quickly is really darn tough. I suppose that comes with a lot more mileage and training
>>
File: 1605322064365.jpg (157 KB, 1000x735)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>
bump
>>
File: 1579637789966.jpg (60 KB, 450x600)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>5311009
How do you choose the right panels when starting your manga?
I want to start up my project but i get stuck at the panels deal
>>
>>5327469
its scary at first but after like 20 pages you'll get the hang of it. Theres honestly a lot of wiggle-room and there isn't some magical combination that is correct and everything else is wrong. Its like writing and dividing paragraphs, honestly. If it works, it works.

Things to ask yourself:
>is this panel necessary, or can I cut it?
>Can I combine these two panels together?
>Which panel should be biggest on the page?
>Does this last panel make the reader want to turn the page?

The most important thing is the cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut. In the beginning you'll have so many redundant panels its not even funny. You'll pan around the environment, wanting to show a 'mood', when in reality in most cases you don't need 80% of what you're drawing.

Another very important thing to consider is "action + reaction + new action". This is the way all storytelling works, and if you have too many panels of one character doing something without any kind of reaction from the world (either from internal conflict, personal conflict, or external conflict) the story will get boring very fast. Constantly bounce the story between different actions from different characters.

If it helps, write out a very complete script, where you detail each page with what panels and camera shots you're using. But most likely, once you get going, you'll start deviating from the script and drawing panels on the fly. Storyboarding is one of my favorite steps of doing comics, honestly, and it shouldn't stress you out so much. If the general direction of your story is good, then you'll be fine.
>>
>>5327521
So as a starter should i just experiment around with the panels?
I tried a few times to draw 31 pages of storyboard to experiment, but none of the panels really clicked with what i wanted.
>>
>>5327521
how d'ya storyboard? do you fold a sheet of A4 paper over and draw two pages at a time?
>>
>>5327568
I do it digitally, on a two page spread. I use the x method to divide my canvas vertically in half.

>>5327556
yeah, i just kept experimenting. It really helps to know story structure though, if you've never looked into it you should. I like Robert McKee and Araki's books, both in the OP
>>
>>5327582
Thanks for the tips.
>>
Found this really good series that showcases a bit of the workflow for some popular mangaka/Japanese artists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp6_kvcEI_4&list=PL8ITSuuvJQLeE7O4AIzbL7j5MTw_2EWUy&ab_channel=Archipel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDpn9fdsRbY&ab_channel=Archipel
>>
>>5327759
>Archipel
Really nice channel. I watched a few videos from them.
>>
File: dragonball cover.jpg (458 KB, 665x1024)
458 KB
458 KB JPG
Any tools for making panels in Procreate?
>>
>>5328387
Just use CSP dude, its on ipad. Don't tell me you cant afford 25 dollars a year
>>
>>5328550
Subscriptions for software is the most cucked shit. Not buying it on principle.
>>
>>5328676
Nigga you're using ios, the most cucked operating system
>>
>>5328676

>>5328678 this lol, I'm not sure how you could have this mindset and then buy a fucking Apple product.

Next time get a Surface or some other Windows tablet so that you can run normal Windows apps and get the full version of CSP for a one-time purchase.
>>
bump
>>
>>5328676
Go trad, never look back
>>
>>5330042
but one sheet of comic paper costs a dollar
>>
>>5330045
So buy regular paper and cut it
>>
>>5330045
Do you not practice on normal paper
>>
>>5326141
Blog?
>>
>>5330059
>>5330062
Not that guy but regular paper is pretty shit if you're using a G-pen. From my experience the paper is usually too rough and fragile to handle the nib so it ends up scratching the surface, producing inconsistent lines, the ink bleeds through, etc.
>>
File: ya yeet.png (345 KB, 964x680)
345 KB
345 KB PNG
I was planning on posting this today but I spent the entire day with my family. I have to edit 2 page spreads into scrolling comics for webtoons and tapas.

>>5328387
>using procreate
>>
bump..
>>
File: bump.png (117 KB, 863x747)
117 KB
117 KB PNG
>>5330698
I-was-about-to-bump-with-boobs-bump
>>
File: image-4.jpg (11 KB, 480x338)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>reading doujins again for fun instead of trying to make my own again
I love coming across the older japanese doujins. They're filled to the brim with spirit no matter the skill level
>>
File: hgjhghjgghj.png (261 KB, 586x836)
261 KB
261 KB PNG
Thread is absolutely dead. I just finished the storyboards on chapter 9. It's my first big fight I've drawn since 2018 so I need all of the feedback I can get. please read them and let me know what you think

imgur.com/a/HzdN33z

>>5330704
japanese doujins are full of soul. make your own anon, theyre fun to do.
>>
>>5330895
i havernt slept and its now 7 am so not much feedback rn but i read it and it was alright enough to keep me reading the whole thing.
Sometimes i felt the dialoge is too obvious but its not finished so idk if that's worthwhile feedback. The only thing I can think of is thinking more about what they will say so it can be concise and maybe consider the placement of your panels when you want a revelation or reveal etc you could use some space between them. Although again idunno what it will look like when its done so just a thought.
>>
>>5330895
If it makes you feel better I’m still drawing my manga a lot. Just don’t feel like posting anything, for now. Maybe in a few years
>>
>>5330895
>Thread is absolutely dead.
People actually work in this thread so it goes through periods of silence even though as far as I can tell people are still around (as soon as any sort of debate over process stuff comes up people immediately crawl out of the woodwork).

You have to remember that almost the entirety of the rest of this board is just shitposty garbage, which is why the other threads get bumped so often.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1618238295983.jpg (118 KB, 1080x1440)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
Decided to start inking this one.
>>
>>5328760
>Surface or some other Windows tablet
Windows does not work well on a tablet and Surfaces aren't the best for drawing.
If you want to draw on a mobile Windows device look for a 2 in 1 laptop that has EMR support. They're pretty pricey but not much more than a Surface.
>>
>>5331293
usually people lose the soul when they ink but you did a really good job here. It almost looks like Itou Junji inking his work in his manben episode
>>
>>5330045
You don't need special comic paper when you're starting, smooth cardstock at least 120 gsm in weight is enough and cheap.
>>
>>5331340
>Windows does not work well on a tablet and Surfaces aren't the best for drawing.
I use one. What's wrong with them?
>>
>>5331345
why dont pros use that?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1618244809951.jpg (137 KB, 1080x1440)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>5331342
Thanks anon, I was hoping I would keep the soul of the pencil linework, and am trying to not ink it too heavily...alittle progress update before bed:
>>
>>5331354
Stop asking dumb question you fucking faggot.
>>
>>5331546
why is it dumb. Manuscript paper is ridiculously expensive and on first inspection cardstock seems fine. Whats so bad about cardstock? Why bother using manuscript paper? Why don't you think before you speak?
>>
>>5331354
"Pros" usually get special discounts or even free paper from the publishers in order to keep them supplied and have them conform to the publisher's standard.

You are not a pro, and will likely just scan all your pages anyway making paper quality irrelevant. You can practice on printer paper until you get good, it's all the same on the screen.
>>
File: 1618181026628.png (113 KB, 309x298)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>>5324655
First I've ever heard of this, can you link the Jump format? I've submitted to multiple contests with my own version which is basically copying the jump format.
>>
File: 1618152772355.jpg (224 KB, 1300x1750)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
>>5324686
Seconded although I doubt it'll help you draw that much. Half that book is full of newbies and isn't it a glorified interview book? I want to read it but just out of interest.
>>
File: 1618099747918.jpg (151 KB, 729x768)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>5330114
Panel gaps should be different for horizontal and vertical division
>>5331460
Are you spanishanon in Japan with a jump editor? Regardless typically for manga that looks like too much detail, too many pen strokes. Looks amazing by the way.
>>
>>5331736
I see, that makes a lot of sense, thanks
>>
>>5330895
penciling it because too many people couldnt read my drafts
https://picarto.tv/LaundryMom
>>
File: 1611109780245.jpg (112 KB, 1088x821)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>5319660
Thanks anon been looking for this pdf for a while
>>
Do you folks create your manga in a4 size or b4? I want to print my manga someday when i'm done
>>
>>5332143
Does it make a difference?
>>
>>5331556
>Why don't you think before you speak?
Why don't you think before you ask dumb fucking questions?
>>
hey guys, on topic of hooks how does this sound?
>A stoic bounty hunter that wants to retire comfortably struggles to babysit the world’s most dangerous criminal due for death row, but she stumbles down a rabbit hole and learns everything she knows was built entirely on lies and deception.
>>
>>5331744
Nah that ain't me, I'm an Aussie, and just draw as a hobby since I was a child, maybe one day I'll do something useful with it.
>>
>>5332286
I'm surprised there's more than one aussie here.
>>
>>5332247
Too many words.
I'm not memeing, or a retard. I'm thing as the average person browsing a manga section. If yo uhave to trip over six words 5 times you probably already moved on to the next book on the shelf.
>>
>>5332374
>>5332247
btw the plot sounds nice. I would at the very least check it out. I just think as a TAG LINE specifically. That's too much colorful language.
I was thinking about this some more, I believe you should just for lack of a better term "re-arrange" or maybe remove some certain things that is information that doesn't serve a purpose in either world building or drawing in. Here's an example, don't expect it to be perfect, just trying to help.
>A stoic bounty hunter just wants to retire comfortably.. her final mission? Babysit the world's most dangerous criminal on his/her way to death row! On the way, she stumbles upon a rabbit hole that makes everything she knows seem like lies and deception. Will the heroine do her duty and deliver the criminal, or has everything changed? [you get the point now maybe]
I know it's technically longer but I wanted to get my point across more than do the thing for you. I hope it has helped in some way.
>>
>>5332422
>>5332374
thank you! i just wanted to know if my plot sounded any good, but i totally understand that it was wordy and a run-on sentence.

the way you re-arranged it still makes sense to the plot i've written, might steal for the summary, but i might consider hiding the "rabbit hole" part; do you think this is intriguing enough?

>a stoic bounty hunter just wants to retire comfortably, but has to babysit the world's most dangerous criminal on his way to death row.

or is the rabbit hole part the more interesting bit?
>>
>>5332439
I think the rabbit hole just struck a chord with me because it made me think of the literal rabbit hole from alice in wonderland.
I don't think it's necessary but it does make you think "ooo what happened??" in my opinion.
>>
>>5332471
thanks for your input! i'll see if i can incorporate this in a less wordy/flashy way in the future!
>>
>>5331741
I just want to read the interviews.
>>
>>5311012
ah. is there any more online contest coming? im proud to say ive grasped drawing and ive improved massively this past year. im ready now
>>
>>5333143
No real way to know until they're announced, but maybe. If I hear about anything, I'll be updating the OP with the information. That said, if anyone else in the thread hears about anything, they should post it so that I can add it to the stickies.

If you do end up entering one of the contests, good luck!
>>
>>5324649
Looks pretty awesome
>>
I'm a bit into the penciling of chapter 9.

>>5333518
thanks
>>
File: 1618260619852.jpg (1.19 MB, 1927x2836)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
Is this character design decent enough for an one-shot I am making? It's a sort of SOL furry setting but with a focus on street fighting, and someone said his snout is weird.
>>
>>5333635
just start making your one shot. You’ll get better
>>
File: zima.jpg (1.87 MB, 2071x3200)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
>>
>>5331741
>Half that book is full of newbies
A newbie to Jump is still someone who's been drawing and honing their craft for long enough to be given a shot in the biggest comic magazine on the planet, and doing well enough to stay in it.
>>
so many ideas... so little time and ability...
>>
>>5333634
Looks really interesting! Can i ask, what paper size are you creating this?
>>
File: fdhgdfsgdfg.png (20 KB, 470x430)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>>5334519
>>
>>5323011
it sounds like youre describing it badly
>a young girl
whats she like. give me traits.
>is gifted with
thats generally a bad sign. its usually more interesting if she chose to do what shes doing

>>5324243
and now you lost me, you're clearly doing a bad job explaining this premise if i don't know what this shit about reniessence or witches or bounty hunters is
>>
>>5334715
Thanks friend. I wish you success! Update us on your manga
>>
>>5334715
why 600 dpi just wondering
I print posters and stuff but only use 300 dpi :0000
>>
>>5334799
600 dpi gives a high resolution for b/w images and is the typically the standard most printers handle b/w and grayscale if you want the work to be printed.
300-350 dpi is what's used for color images.
>>
>>5333472
you too. i'll keep on a lookout for contest
>>
>>5334968
Where? I've never even seen a printer that'll accept 600 DPI, even for black and white.
>>
>>5335504
Have you never seen an industrial or wide format printer before?
>>
>>5335504
Printers as in professional printing companies for industry publishers, not your little home printer.
>>
>>5334968
i'm stupid, so why does black and white require a higher dpi than color for printing?

i thought the whole point of b/w was to conserve on printing efforts.
>>
>>5335620
I'm not talking about a home printer, stupid, I'm talking about sending it in to be printed. A number of places want 300, and nothing more. Some are ok with up to 600 DPI, and some say that even 350 is more than enough and will look sharp enough. and places that often want more usually want you to send them as bitmaps or some shit, instead of just .tiffs, PNGs, or PDFs.

I would say the better advice is to actually research and contact your potential printer, because there's no catch-all image size or file type. And in the end, you don't really want to be resizing shit if you don't have to.
>>
>>5335689
not him but it's got more depth for say black or white because it's varying levels of 1 color (black) (or white depending on how you look at it)
I didn't think about that when I asked why 600DPI i have only ever printed in color.
also to answer your other question I think it's still cheaper to use 600dpi black ink than 300dpi lots of colors although I don't know. I don't have to buy the ink etc.
>>
>>5335694
To this I would say bigger is better because you can always make it smaller easily especially if it's vector etc you could scale it up to the size of a skyscraper and it would be exactly the same.
(I do agree with you just adding this for people who don't know)
For example my printer(a person not machine) wants 200dpi at /least/. 200dpi for my posters will look fine, I personally use 300dpi because why not.
I thought I was going a bit far with 300 so when I saw 600 i was like ????!!!??!?!?!?
I feel like if I used 600dpi on color it would probably take up 8gb of ram.
>>
File: hmmm.png (62 KB, 471x858)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
>>5334799
because my gpu has been a bad girl and deserves a spanking every once and a while.

>>5334776
thanks, I'll hopefully update with entire chapter pencils later tonight. I spent the last couple days finishing up a youtube project.
>>
>>5331293
digging it, anon
>>
File: testing new pens.png (156 KB, 638x934)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
>>5336355
this was a fucking lie. I spent the last two hours testing new sketch pens only to just add a texture to my current one
>>
>>5336519
hot i love this bitch now
>>
>>5336519
I wasted time in pursuit of figuring out why I wasn't happy with my inks too. Wound up just falling back to my same pen settings as always after trying many different settings and discovering it wasn't the pen settings that was the problem.
>>
File: megum.jpg (3.16 MB, 1718x2449)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB JPG
>>5336520
thank you, drawing her like this is very fun.

>>5336525
facts. while I did move from mapping pen to g-pen recently I spent a couple days figuring out why I hated my pen and realized I just needed better line weight control. I think I failed to copy bochis real-gpen that day
>>
File: aheago 2.png (142 KB, 624x924)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
>>5336519
I failed at every task I set out to do tonight because I was too busy drawing coomer art. I've failed you all.

here's another aheago for that one dude who likes hancock [spoiler] she's fucking with them she knows exactly what this is. [/spoiler]
>>
how many assistants should u hire
>>
>>5331293
This is really nice!
>>
File: 1551896746223.png (220 KB, 764x831)
220 KB
220 KB PNG
Has there been any talks from art street or medibang about doing tezuka awards again?
>>
File: hdfgdsfgdgvdf.png (372 KB, 1073x826)
372 KB
372 KB PNG
It's getting there.

>>5337554
they usually get announced by now. it doesn't hurt to start storyboarding stuff early. I'm considering entering an idea I've had for a while

>>5337477
I have one and they're severally under worked but that's just me
>>
>>5337477
There's no real answer to this kind of question. It depends on how much money you have, how many you can hire without going into the red, and how many you actually feel you need, which is a function of how much work you have to do over a specific amount of time. It's extremely context-dependent.
>>
>>5337718
Hmm... when was it announced last time? Art street has contests line up all the way up to early july. Do you think they may just not do it? Or maybe theh will only do it at the end of the year again...
>>
File: image0-148.jpg (267 KB, 1557x1668)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
It's not much bros but I've been lurking these threads and havent posted a single full page since, so here it is
I keep doing mental gymnastics with myself saying I should wait until I have more drawing experience, but I decided that maybe ill try to do single pages at a time to ease into drawing multiple things a page and hopefully get better with intuition and expressiveness
>>
>>5338415
you have gud skills. just keep making manga and study a bit on the side
>>
File: jjhhjghjkg.gif (163 KB, 954x679)
163 KB
163 KB GIF
>>5337718
we don't really need a bump but I'm back at these.

>>5338408
I think in may or june.
>>
File: Decryption Error.png (195 KB, 818x623)
195 KB
195 KB PNG
>>5311009
>Full MANBEN Series link
Anyone else having problems with the first video in the Season 3 folder on mega? (The one starting with 3x4 Naoki Urasawa) Or just me?
I keep getting a decryption error, picrel
>>
>>5338415

Very nice, got some more we can see somewhere?
>>
>>5338646
Did he just summon a stand?
>>
>>5338790
Not at the moment, this will be colored so I wont commit to making more atm, but I will try to make some just for values next time
>>
File: cover.jpg (906 KB, 942x1339)
906 KB
906 KB JPG
Bumping with a cover design for my stupid story
>>
>>5333634
Work on your paneling. Study how popular shonen do paneling for a start. Keep it up
>>
>>5339503
what's wrong with his paneling? maybe page 9 and 10 is a little crowded, but the rest seem alright to me.
>>
>>5339422
this is why my country is doomed to fail forever
>>
>>5339938
what
>>
File: 1592630705116.jpg (27 KB, 640x427)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>5339939
decadance precedes the rot of civilization
>>
>>5339969
it aint my fault you're a prude.
>>
>>5339938
>>5339969
go back to /pol/, this thread is for drawing comics.
>>
New thread.

>>5339992
>>5339992
>>5339992
>>5339992
>>5339992
>>
>>5311486
Coloring or color theming is a pretty big part of it. Even if you toke out the characters in the picture, some would know it's from Naruto because of the coloring.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.