[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: pablo-picasso-facts.jpg (129 KB, 750x882)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
Does anyone here even have aspirations to be a great artist?
Like, art history sort of art.
I just see a bunch of graphic designers, coomers, and animators.
>>
Love the art in yourself, not yourself in the art...
- Stanislavski
>>
>>5374247
Someday hopefully.
>>
no. although I'm curious, do you think Sargent or Monet or Gauguin thought to themselves "I'm going to become a great artist, remembered throughout history," or do you think they painted and it just happened?
>>
>>5374274
I watch a lot of documentaries and i have found that a lot of "the greats" had huge goals.
It rarely happens on accident, more by luck.
>>
>>5374267
Can you elaborate on the quote?
I'm struggling with the 2nd half.
>>
>>5374247
Nope. Besides, it is nearly impossible to do that in the modern day
>>
>>5374287
love the art, don't chase fame
>>
>>5374274
i would think its both, the love of it alone as well as desire for greatness are helpful in going through all the work. Love must be the biggest but fame surely helps.
>>
I'm a very specific type of brown and just being a well known artist (from my race) puts me into the running for being remembered in the long run. Combine my specific story with my art and you got the possibility for longevity.
>>
>>5374274
Gauguin was an ass hole to everyone so yes
>>
File: el4y6qozv7w51.jpg (56 KB, 707x616)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
I do
>>
>>5374247
I just see you not posting your own artwork
>>
>>5375060
You first.
How can you call someone out with out posting.
Dont waste our time.
>>
lol you think that caliber of artist would browse 4chan? pffffft
>>
to be a great artist in the 21st century, you have to be like Jeffrey Koons, who hires a bunch of college art students to make 15 foot tall balloon animals that sell for millions that Koons keeps, or Banksy the gimmick graffiti artist.

No thanks.
>>
I'm gonna leave a mark
>>
>>5375291
Great artists are considered to be individuals who have had a major influence on many future artists. In the case of Jeffrey Koons or Banksy, not enough time has passed for them to be considered great, sure they are popular and rich, but not great. For example, look at Rembrandt, 352 years have passed since his death, and we can readily see how far extending his influence on art history has been.
>If 100 years pass after Banksy's death, if art critics, historians and critics still cite him, if future artists still draw inspiration from him, then he has indeed been a GREAT artist. And if not, then...you know, he didn't make it
>>
>>5374287
don't coom in your paints
>>
Who are the greats of today, really? The most famous ones are good, but they went on to teach.
>>
>>5375739
Teachers are not famous or even good. They only seem famous to you because they are talked about in this beg-filled forum. Outside of art-learning communities they are not famous. The same with anime coom artists. Art-learning communities and anime twitter give skewed impression of who are famous.
>>
>>5376689
Could you name some and post some of their stand out pieces?
>>
>>5374247
Back then there wasn't nearly the same amount of competition as there is now
>>
>>5375739
They all go on to teach eventually. When you get old and cant keep up with a demanding schedule, teaching sounds like a comfy job. It's the ones that start out as art teachers straight out of school that you dont want to take any advice from.

Anyways. Vilppu, Huston, Westermoe, Perkins and Legaspi off the top of my head. Most teachers and one of them is dead so I guess hes a former master.
>>
File: art.jpg (36 KB, 350x350)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Meh, it's a hobby and sometimes it pays for a pizza. I'll start being smug if I make the news for it

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.