[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKPmWYxunbI
Each one of these splash arts takes 4-5 weeks to make
One piece takes +120 hours to make, ONE IMAGE, OVER ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY HOURS

Ready to throw in the towel yet?
>>
I probably could do that one in 20.
>>
>>5442663
Yeah same that dude is just slow
>>
>>5442659
that's like the standard, ruan takes like a month to fully finish a piece

everybody who says they can do an "industry" level piece faster (including all the art director feedback) are usually just int flat color beg render drawers
>>
>>5442659
>beautiful art takes a long time to make, does that make you want to quit?

No anon, I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. People spending that much time on art is inspiring.
>>
File: 3dproko.jpg (72 KB, 387x455)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>5442659
the hardest part is always the design and comp
but I can usually do a single character in 6-8h
something like op would probably take me 15h~ 20 at most. definitely not 100, let alone over 100
>>
>>5442663
prove it?
>>
>>5442659
thats super slow, o average for 1 char id say its 8-10 hours, even 20 i can believe

but 100h+ for 1 character splash is snails pace work wth
>>
>>5442659
damn, 120 hours purely working on the piece itself or does that include overhead like planning meetings?
>>
retardness is not a privilege
>>
>>5442663
Most /int/s on /ic/ can do finished work in a few days
>>
>>5442702
it's gotta be including back and forths with senior art directors
>>
>>5442729
Yeah, I was go to say this, if you ignore technical aspect and go only for detail I would anyone close to /int/ on /ic/ could do something like this in 20 to 30 hours. 100 hours is quite the absurd even more if you consider how much of the detail he applied on the background and certain things are all lost in his process.

His art is good, there is no doubt on that, but god damn he is slow.
>>
>>5442659
>Ready to throw in the towel yet?
Why? Because some artist i think is good is good? Doesn't that motivate you anon? The human potential? The possibility of getting to that level? To be able to spent 120 hours in a painting for a billion dollar IP and be paid for it?
>>
>>5442659
do you subhumans really pay attention to this chink crap? it looks awful. Conceptually, artistically, it's shit and the execution looks like plastic. It's even worse than bland AAA concept art
>>
File: 1604607962631.jpg (227 KB, 620x413)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>5442868
Agreed. I can't wait for the WoW/LoL aesthetic to die so fantasy art can be good again.
>>
>>5442659
I'll throw in the towel when I'm dead
>>
>>5442659
I find those League of Legends drawings so fucking cringe
>>
You do realize this goes through a process that involves a team, right?
>>
>>5442663

You must have a lot of mileage. Post your work.
>>
File: 123.jpg (408 KB, 1920x1080)
408 KB
408 KB JPG
>>5442868
Retarded /beg/ trying to fit in, get out lmao
>>
>>5444427
you should've been swallowed
>>
>>5444427
the beg has a point though.
All asian video game art looks the same.
I mean, sure, it is impressive, but lacks flair and character. It is bland.
>>
>>5444579
If it was in no way tied to the most popular mainstream game on the planet, you wouldn't be saying that
>>
>>5444597
it's sterile like capeshit art.
>>
>>5444597
First of; which game? Second; what does that anything to do with that?
>>
>>5444616
You tie art you see with negative connotations like "mainstream video game art" or "capeshit"

Here's a picture of the newest Marvel superhero.
>WOW, STAGNANT CAPESHIT, GTFO WITH YOUR GARBAGE ART

Here's a picture of a new League of Legends champion
>WOW, CONCEPTUALLY AND ARTISTICALLY SHIT, SHIT EXECUTION, LOOKS STUPID AND THE GAME'S BAD
>>
>>5442659
OP, are you the one that makes all the demotivational threads?
>>
File: 1622398918136.gif (1.26 MB, 532x374)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB GIF
Shut the fuck up you retarded begs. Your arguments are bad just as your art is.
>>
but don't you get paid the same no matter how long it takes you to finish it?
>>
>>5444865
not when you work for a company in house, you generally get paid per hour
>>
>>5444865
That doesn't really matter. Its the video game industry. Everyone has tight deadlines and if you can't get shit done fast enough they will hire someone else who can
>>
File: E2rAE1SUUAE8mli.jpg (76 KB, 778x1607)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>5442659
The description says the 120 hours is including the time at work while not actually working on the painting itself.
60+ hours of actual painting time to finish. Which sounds about right when you have your bosses constantly telling you to add and change shit about the picture.
>>
>>5444412
it’s not mileage, it’s creative freedom, having some retard sending you back to change the composition and color of random shit over and over will add time
>>
>>5444681
Wow white man with long white/grey beard, what an original concept for the avatar of the creator of the fucking universe! GTFO with that tired overrepresented Christian white imagery
>>
>>5445034
Dude, it was made literally half a millennia ago. it was pretty cutting edgy back then, giving the creative limitations,
>>
>>5445043
Ah yes, the "times were different" and "it was pretty good for the period it was produced" argument
Doesn't change the fact that values shift and by today's standards it is tired and problematic. We should be able to move past that now after a millennia of (undeserved) recognition it's been enjoying. Grow up old man.
>>
>>5445164
That doesn't change the fact that values shift and it was good at some point. This is not an argument, you are just saying things.
>>
>>5445164
>problematic

shut the fuck up nigger
>>
>>5445164
you sound like an angry white woman
>>
>>5442663
>>5442682
No you can't. Neither you nor anyone agreeing with you here can. You just think you're a lot better than you actually are. Of course you can always prove me wrong by posting your work but we all know that's not gonna happen.
>>
>>5445043
It actually wasn't. The Church was the biggest sponsor of the arts in that era, so you could say it was part of a trend the same way game art is now. The difference is there were fewer people around to pump shit out so it was easier for a few people to stand out.
>>
>>5445350
>>5445350
Post yours first, you are the one talking about the skill someone you just admitted you never seen the work before. I'm going wit the other anon and say that anyone can do this pic in 20 hours, 8 to 10 to the characters, 2 to 4 to characters in the back ground and the paint smudges for the ruins and 6 hours of fine detailing. If you really want to push you can add 10 hours of sketching, composition, planing and talking with your big faggot art director.

120 is a complete absurd, it's literally the time someone could build an entire game, let alone a splash for a MOBA. You don't need the highest tecnical skill to understand this, this is common sense. Is like if someone told you it took 20 years to build a single bridge.
>>5445385
>the art is from 1500 and something
>half of a millennia ago
>well, it actually wasn't from a millennial ago because the church paid for it
Cool. Go on, I want to hear more about this argument.
>>
>>5442659
But why?
>>
>>5445164
Post your work, minority.
>>
>>5442659
A real nigga like me wouldve finished all that in 10 minutes
>>
It used to take me months to make things that were garbage compared to this, I have enough patience and I'm getting better because of that, I see how something of that level can take so many hours. If you aren't willing to put a huge amount of time in your art until it looks the way you want it to, you've already decided that you're ngmi
>>
>>5442659
all of this league of legends/blizzard style shit looks bland, uninspired and forgettable, 4-5 weeks for that? no thanks.
>>
>>5445393
>120 is a complete absurd, it's literally the time someone could build an entire game
What? With a standard 40 hour work week, you're saying someone could make an entire game from start to finish in three weeks?
>>
>>5445913
The existence of those 24 hour game jams proves you can make at least a proof-of-concept for a simple game in a relatively short time
I'm sure if you took one of those ideas and worked on it for three weeks you'd have a pretty close to finished and playable game
>>
>>5442659
is the last frame done by him too or by the studio?
>>
>>5442659
Yeah, it's quality vs quantity
>>
>>5442659
Why does that take so long? It doesn't look like anything special.
>>
>>5446145
over half of the time goes into deciding what to go with, they constantly revert back designs, draw a completely new one, then scrap that and make another one and then end up going back to the original etc.
>>
File: darius-god-king.jpg (86 KB, 1215x717)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
Child's play bro

My big dick pieces take like 3-4-5 weeks to finish and I'm no where on the level of these Riot Chads.
>>
>>5442659
yeah it takes 120 hours if you're autistic about polish. at that point you could literally 3d model something and have a more usable product. that's a 10 hour piece at worst.
>>
>>5442659
There's actually no way this is 120+ hours of actual effective painting.
I'm pretty sure they hit diminishing returns hard after about 30-40 hours.
Let's say they also spent 20 hours on composition and color roughs. That leaves 60-70 hours of what? Painstakingly looking at every pixel of the painting making sure nothing is wrong?
>>
>>5446180
These armor designs are so f-wording stupid. Big axe on his ass for no reason, metal backpack doe no reason.
>>
File: 0mm5qbxanv411.jpg (372 KB, 2518x1024)
372 KB
372 KB JPG
>>5446356
I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions.
>>
Sounds like time well spent
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7BjyqBsdig
is he asian tho ? with asian genes it would 14- 20 hrs only
>>
>>5442659
120 hours when the drawing was a failure the second they chose such a retarded, nonsensical pose for the character.
>>
>>5446435
>>
>>5442659
I imagine that at least part of the reason that it takes so long is because it has to pass over like 20 sets of eyes at each stage of production
Riot is a huge company and every detail of everything has to be confirmed by several people before moving forward
Otherwise they end up having to deal with stupid bullshit fiascos like grave’s cigar and thaliya’s nose, so they do everything in their power to avoid that
>>
>>5442659
I can do that in 12hours. Pay me half the price.
>>
>>5446356
You shut the fuck up about god-king
God-king is dope
This recent elitism about practical armor design has become goofy
Theres nothing wrong with just making shit look cool for fun
>>
You have to wait for feedback and riot is a company with around 3k employees if google is to be trusted, i bet every revision takes long time to get trough illustration department and marketing department. And then you have your AD telling you to add/remove/change bunch of shit. Its different making a personal piece where you are art directing your self and when you do it for a job where you can have ADs tell you to change the whole fucking piece around midway trough
>>
>>5442659
This is actually reassuring, I always just assumed they were finished in a couple of days. Makes me feel less terrible for not being the fastest
>>
>LOL BEING RELIGIOUS IN THE RENAISSANCE WAS JUST LIKE COLLECTING STAR WARS FUNKO POPS TODAY AMIRITE
>LOOOOL THE GODS WERE LITERALLY JUST LIKE SUPERHEROES
Burgers are a fucking disgrace. I'm starting to sincerely look forward to China taking over. I'm so tired of your shit.
>>
>>5446871
They literally serve the same purpose culturally
Except now that everything is cynical, antiquated literature and mythology are somehow magically better because belief rids it of all possible narrative faults
Also modern Chinese don't care about preserving or bringing back their own mythology, young Chinese are cucked by western pop culture and you'd be lucky to find 1 in 10 people who've read Three Kingdoms(the most normiecore classical literature in China) so don't think the masses will somehow become enriched if they take over as a one world government
>>
>>5446871
>>LOOOOL THE GODS WERE LITERALLY JUST LIKE SUPERHEROES
Yes, and the Catholic church was the Disney of the time. What's your point
>>
>>5448566
>>5448571
>They literally serve the same purpose culturally
please off yourselves, the only difference between you and a corpse is that you're wasting precious oxygen for the living
>>
File: 1615775959346.jpg (24 KB, 428x424)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>The tricky parts of this splash were all the intersecting elements like the spears behind her, her hair, her arm in front of her vs the loin cloth. It was hard balancing how to separate her front arm in terms of values. We redrew the hands like 4 times in total. Also, I had trouble figuring out Xin Zhao in the left corner. At first he was supposed to be made of pure red energy since he is still being summoned but in the end it got too distracting so he was colored back with his local colors.
>>
>>5448588
imagine dedicating your mind space to this drivel
I would blast my own head off with a shotgun during the zoom conference
>>
>>5448601
literally ngmi

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.