[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: unnamed.jpg (35 KB, 512x232)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
Sometimes I think we shouldn't have been so harsh on sadlawn. Looking back, I think that kid had way more of a runway to getgud than VCK, and if we mentored him a bit better he would have, by now, far surpassed VCK. Sadlawn was all brawn, churning things out every single fucking day. Looking at VCK's gumroad thing, it's nothing short of mental masturbation for the art dilettante.

Oh well, here's hoping the next sadlawn does better.
>>
>>5445342
who?
>>
>>5445358
Is the /ic/ turnover rate that bad?
>>
>>5445342
theres been at least 3 more sadlawns and none of them delivered
>>
I've seen 50 sadlawns since and they always fail. When will people get it through their retarded skulls that drawing everyday as a goal is going to make you hate drawing?
>>
Who was sadlawn
>>
>>5445508
>>5445507
>at least 3
>50 since

Where? When? If it's in some buttfuckville of a discord shitfest, it doesn't count. There haven't been sadlawns on /ic/ since sadlawn. There have been a handful of "how do I git gud" threads but nothing like that lad.
>>
>>5445512
Ya but who the fuck was sadlawn and what was he doin
>>
File: 1528188102727.jpg (51 KB, 778x584)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>5445514
Are you sure you're ready for this story fren-o?
>>
>>5445512
anon... it's sadder than you think. I've seen tons of threads where OPs claim they "need" to make it in a year or less or else their life is over. Maybe it was more prevalent before lockdown
>>
>>5445342
I dont know this sadfuck dude but we have the schizo and he seems kind of disappointing.
Nevertheless nobody who doesn't have talent will make it.

And cope what you want, cry and seethe, you won't change things.
>>
>>5445516
Yes whats the story
>>
>>5445520
Yeah I've seen a handful of those, but nobody actually embarked on the journey. It's the journey that separates the sadlawn from the wannabes.

We need a ring of sadlawn similar to the Iffland-Ring, passed one from one lad to the next as they embark, and inevitably as dark fate would have it, fail on their epic quest. But what if one day, one succeeds?
>>
>>5445526
Who the hells sadlawn
>>
>>5445522
Schizo is a waste of sperm. Sadlawn actually did stuff and /ic/ got behind him. If there was a raison d'etre for his desolate board, he was it.
>>
>>5445342
I think sadlawns are made to fail. You can't just focus on drawing every day as your goal. You need a bigger motive, something like becoming the next Kubo Tite. And if you already have that motive, you would be already doing drawing. sadlawns are made to fail. They're as shallow as their actions.
>>
>>5445535
Just the facts.
>>
>>5445358
>>5445510
>>5445514
>>5445522
>>5445529
is this a LARP? It was 2018, practically yesterday, Aren't you supposed to lurk for 3 years before posting?
>>
>>5445535
I can be the next sadlawn
>>
>>5445523
>>5445529
>>5445514
>>5445358

Sadlawn was the name of an early-20-something year old who wanted to Git Gud In 1 Year. That was his goal. He started a blogshit on Blogger or wherever and would post drawings every day. I don't think he even made it through a month. I think day 16 or 17 he fizzled out. That's all it took to sand down ambitions of someone who is in the prime of their young years in terms of just what a sponge of knowledge and skill and technique of absorption they are. He is also the perfect manifestation of the /ic/ crab, as his attitude was horrible and he would reply back with as much snark to naysayers as anyone else on this board. If you could collectively summarize his retorts, it would be, "I'll show all of them!" But he remains a staple of /ic/ not just because we laugh at whoever else comes in here acting like him, but because we have fond memories of what could have been if we had not been so cruel with him as we were. We could have encouraged him, and give him hope in the future, to just go at it. One. More. Day. Alas, like tears in the rain and all that.
>>
I was going to do the Git Gud in One Year Challenge also but I didn't start because I still haven't come up with a good username.
>>
>>5445547
Thing is, he had far more vigor and more zest for work than Volen. Way the fuck more. I have no idea what Volen is up to today, but I doubt he's making bank on his art-as-gym analogies. Maybe he switched from being an art mentor to being a fitness trainer.
>>
>>5445547
Ya i can be the next sadlawn no prob
>>
>>5445550
>>5445553
>>5445544
You're born sadlawn. It was a unique time in /ic/ over all. We were somewhere in some weird interstitial phase probably chronicled by the likes of The Lightning And The Sun.
>>
>>5445559
This sadlawn guy couldnt even make it a year lol.
>>
>>5445566
In reality he could have made it good enough in a much lesser timeframe where he would have the confidence to continue down whichever path he chose to. He did not hit the terminal point, and instead treated drawing as something that he "had" to do, rather than something that he enjoyed doing as a part of who he is as a person. In reality, there is no "making it." It's a shifting goalpost in quicksand where there's always more to be practiced, new things to be inspired by, new ways to interpret the old, and the first step is to acknowledge that it's a journey that isn't meant to have a definitive end. This is the biggest meme with 'One Year' goals - it's made by people who don't get it.
>>
>>5445574
Na man he gets it just didnt finish it.
>>
>>5445547
What he had was an infatuation, which is something most of you idiots have. Art was not made for everyone, the true talent comes from a pursued interest despite obstacles and let downs especially when you have people belittle you every time they see your work but it goes to show whether or not you have the talent.
>>
>>5445547
Sounds like nosebro c. 2016 (who was going to prove everyone wrong by becoming a professional in 1-2 years or whatever unrealistic goal he's made zero progress towards).
>>
>>5445806
How does one develop this infatuation with drawing AND stumble upon /ic/ AND pick up on one of it's biggest memes, almost blindly and with absolute conviction?
>>
File: 1601954090422.jpg (78 KB, 675x632)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>5445852
By wanting to weave your own basket while fapping on a basket weaving online forum and larp about how many baskets you can weave within a year.
>>
>>5445547
Why do you use pretentious archaic words you fagolett?
>>
>>5445895
Because he has a solid grasp and talent for language. If everyone wrote like you I'd build myself a log cabin and drink myself to death in it.
>>
>>5446572
>he has a solid grasp and talent for language
I think he is homosexual.
>>
holy shit this volen ck guy has some of the worst shit ive ever seen in my life. like if youre shit at art at least you have somewhere to go but he's just got no personality whatsoever
>>
>>5448144
Hes a concept artist, his job is to repackage ideas and resell them to companies, not make pretty pictures.
>>
>>5448250
>implying volen has a job
>>
I've already started my journey. Day 4
>>
>>5448250
Has he actually landed any gigs?
>>
>>5448388
No he hasn't. He's just another shitty concept artist that relies too much on photobashing.
>>
>>5448336
You're supposed to journal and talk about your plans like sadlawn did.
>>
>>5445547
Alright but what was his work like?
>>
>>5448402
So then what the fuck. I wish he’d finally come out and say he’s failed and he’s going to get some normcore office job somewhere. That would be balls to the walls honest attitude, not this cloak and dagger “I’ve been dealing with insomnia this year” bullshit. Like come the fuck on.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.