[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

The general thread for Manga / manga-styled comic-making and Manga-style illustration.

Support each other and talk about your work or the work of others that excites you. Inking, character design, paneling / layout, writing, planning, and other discussions are all welcome.

Post resources, questions, in-progress pages, breakdowns of other works, etc. If a work is not yours, credit the maker (unless it's fucking obvious like a full page of One Piece or something).

Thanks to everyone for making /mmg/ a level-headed and helpful place. Remember, drawing and making comics and manga are difficult endeavors, and we're all in this struggle together.

Previous thread: >>5467867

Some resources:

/asg/, our stylistic sister-thread series >>>/ic/asg
Webcomic General >>>/ic/webcomic

Books:
Understanding Comics

Making Comics

Manga in Theory and Practice: The Craft of Creating Manga
https://mega.nz/folder/Dd4hnZTC#EjMIcTDPLbWXkAJLPHx2Kg

Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting
https://archive.org/details/RobertMcKeeStorypdf/

2000AD Script Book
https://mega.nz/file/gtNQgY6L#p7vPA_fLOUwxINMBzAX62w_xx282FVQoMhUHDGtiCpE

Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga
https://kupdf.net/download/even-a-monkey-can-draw-manga_58b9ca16e12e89233badd376_pdf

Videos:
"Manga Senpai/Tokyo Name Tank", "SMAC! THE SILENT MANGA AUDITION COMMUNITY"

Habanero Scans: https://www.dailymotion.com/HabaneroScans/videos

Full MANBEN Series link: https://mega.nz/folder/9h1mUYSJ#8sJoO57nMP_JhjnujBXkpQ

https://www.naokiurasawa.com/

Urasawa Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkIFOAoFm47XOAlJwTa6Ieg/videos
>>
Some western / indie publishers that seem to have a decent readership and are tolerant of or specifically cater to Manga:

Saturday AM ( https://www.saturday-am.com/ )
> Digital indie magazine, seems to be on the up-and-up
> Open submissions for long-form series; also distributes series currently being published elsewhere.
> Regularly publishes one-shots, making it a good potential outlet for already-finished work.

Noir Caesar ( https://www.noircaesar.com/ )
> Focuses on black (specifically African-American) content, but seems willing to publish anyone good enough.
> Seemingly series-based only.
> No "magazine" style updates; series are updated on their own schedule.
> Seems less regular than Saturday AM, but also seems larger in terms of readership.

Oni Press ( https://onipress.com/ )
> Technically indie, but at this point large enough by comic standards to be mentioned in the same breath as other publishers.

Antarctic Press ( https://antarctic-press.myshopify.com/ )
> Longtime large-indie publisher of OEL / manga-esque books.
> Seemingly taking submissions at present if http://www.antarctic-press.com/html/submissions.php is anything to go on.

Yen Press ( https://yenpress.com/ )
> Started out as a small indie publisher of original / Korean material, and has grown reasonably popular since.
> As of 2016, it is also one of the western arms of the Kadokawa Corporation's publishing apparatus, with Kadokawa owning a 51% stake.
> Editorial inquiries can apparently be sent to yenpress@yenpress.com, however, they apparently are not open to new submissions at this time.

Viz Media / Viz Originals ( https://www.viz.com/originals )
> *The* western manga publisher.
> Currently in the exploratory stages of setting up an English label.
> Submissions are open and several books have been announced. However, progress on the label seems to be moving very slowly.
> Still might be worth a shot anyway.
>>
Current contests:

KYOTO INTERNATIONAL MANGA AWARD
https://medibang.com/contest/kyoto-manga2021/
>DEADLINE: July 26th, 5PM Japan Time
>Any theme, no page count, English OK

How (You) can help /mmg/:

> Know about a contest or a publishing opportunity? TAG THE OP and post a link.
> Have a new resource? TAG THE OP and link / mention it for inclusion.
> Have a link / DL for a mentioned resource? TAG THE OP and mention what you're supplying a link for.
> SCREENSHOT / PASTEBIN effortposts that help you for posterity.
>>
CHANGELOG:

>JAPAN INTERNATIONAL MANGA AWARD
>This contest is now OVER! Good luck to all who entered!

>Note that the KYOTO INTERNATIONAL MANGA AWARD also ends on the 26th of this month!
>>
>>5506258
Haven't read it but it's been around for a while and VIZ recently announced that they had picked it up. I've taken a look at some of the pages though (pic related) and the art is eyecatching at the very least.
>>
Thank you OP, as always <3 This is my favorite on this lousy board
>>
Just wanted to throw this in here for anybody building their skills at manga. Mikey-san is recounting his experiences in manga-school, and students had to draw 30 pages of manga each month
>>
File: jhjkhjkhhg.png (369 KB, 810x576)
369 KB
369 KB PNG
good morning. I made a two page spread for chapter 10

>>5506310
that bitch made the river city girls character designs. Id take a bullet for that artist
>>
For those who didn't know, Urasawa Naoki started a youtube channel recently, and recently posted this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HouvHJFLlxs in which he discovers the radial line ruler tool in CSP.
>>
>>5506548
>manga-school
imagine the smell
>>
>>5506297
working trad would page size matter before scanning? I mean if some one worked 11x17 or 11x14 or 19x24 ect, would that be an issue before scanning the page and the readdressing it to publisher format standards?
>>
>>5506740
Imagine all the virgins writing their doujin dialogue.
>>
I just started AJATT and holy fuck it's so addicting. I'm already 175 kanji in and my retention rate is around 80% so far when I do a custom review, and I'll of course continue to review for a couple months after I finish the book, while starting sentences so I expect the retention rate to shoot up over time. I'm learning so quickly it's incredible, I'm so used to stagnating in my progress in drawing since I'm already kinda really advanced with drawing but it feels so good to be a complete beginner again. It was an anon here that recommended ajatt so thank you, whoever you were
>>
>>5506548
How do people even get this fast? I feel like I can barely do one page every two or two and a half days.
>>
File: 20210711_132133.png (1.98 MB, 1440x2025)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB PNG
>>5506740
>imagine the smell
>>
>>5507283
you're gonna make it
>>
>>5505983
>Worth noting that this guy shills pretty hard so that helps too. Don't neglect marketing, just throwing it up somewhere doesn't reach the majority of readers, only the kind of people who actually look at the front page uploads because they're somehow desperate for low-quality schlock. You gotta get people's eyes on it, even if that means posting it on reddit and going onto /a/ or /co/ and pretending you just found this epic wacky comic.
I'm thinking about doing this?
How do you make shure you don't sound like a shill?
>>5507231
It's best to post on multiple sites, though yes posting on mangadex is better than posting on tapas.
>>
>>5507332
>How do you make shure you don't sound like a shill?
Be humble, be authentic, be excited about your work. Encourage people to check it out because YOU love it, not because you want or think OTHER people should love it. They will make up their minds on that, but if they see how excited you are about it personally they'll be more willing to take a look. Make sure that you market to people that have interests that align with whatever is in your comic / manga as well (e.g. if you're making a mecha series, post to sci-fi communities and not unrelated ones).

Also, consider hypebeasting. It's annoying to people like us but it seems to work on normal readers if people like https://twitter.com/Zero_N_Bless/with_replies are any example.
>>
>>5507304
It’s roughly a page per day. Consider that you’re enrolled as a full-time student so you’re eating, sleeping, and breathing manga. I think under those circumstances, 1 page per day isn’t an absurd requirement.
>>
>>5507439
I dunno man, even on the days that I'm completely free to work I still only manage like one stage of a page a day. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this.
>>
>>5507441
I think the idea is that a bar which will demand that you push yourself be set. I think if you really had to work hard, you’d find that you could do a page per day and after some time of doing that, would find it much easier than you did before.
>>
>>5507304
>>5507441
How long have you been drawing for? Experience is extremely important for speed. Personally I think 30 pages for 30 days is very manageable if you’ve at least been drawing for like 3-4 years daily if no color is required, you can try to do like 4 pages of a story board in one day, then sketch out them the next day, then inking and toning the next for 3 days total for 4 pages, of course each day you’ll have your butt glued to the chair drawing manga all day but that’s the point
>>
>>5506297
How many pages is the standard for a first chapter?
And how many chapters should a volume have?
>>
I don’t understand how the team aspect of manga making works. What do you need additional artists for?
>>
>>5507613
So you don’t end up like togashi Heath wise
>>
>>5507626
but he is the best of the best
>>
>>5507643
Whatever you think he’s the best of is irrelevant to his broken back and two year hiatus
>>
>>5507643
https://comicbook.com/anime/news/hunter-x-hunter-manga-anime-creator-health-hiatus/

He's the best of the best and his old age is also a living hell.

So, I guess the question is whether you want to work at a healthy schedule, a quick schedule with assistants, or be literally incapable of living without constant debilitating pain for the rest of your life past 35.
>>
>>5507682
> "Stuck in bed -> Crawl on all fours -> Find help -> Struggle to get up and go to the hospital."

>"The worst part of back pain is that it's only after it gets a little better that you can go to the hospital."

>"When your pain is a ten on a sale of one to teen, you can't move your body even a centimeter throughout the night."
Yikes
>>
I’ve been thinking. Isn’t the page size of magazines larger than a tankoban? Wouldn’t that mean more detail is loss in a tankoban even if more of the original manuscript is shown because of compression within a smaller page size? Unless I have it backwards. I’m under the belief that magazines trim some parts of the manuscript so less is shown. However a tankoban will show those parts but the page size itself is smaller.
>>
>>5507407
>hypebeasting
What?
>>
File: ss.png (335 KB, 1522x1487)
335 KB
335 KB PNG
>>5507449
About 7-8 years seriously. I've gotten faster with time overall so that much I can agree with, but at the same time I feel like it still takes me far too long to do simple things or make pages. What takes professional artists or even normal people a day or so seems to take me several and I'm not really sure what to do about that since it feels like I'm never really able to get up to the speed that I'd need to do certain things.

I feel like part of it might be that I'm constantly really tired and also get distracted really easily. Might just need to get some bloodwork done since I have constant brain-fog that never seems to go away and there might be a physical solution to that.
>>
>>5506579
Good work so far anon

>>5506539
You're very welcome, happy to maintain. Keep working hard everyone!
>>
>>5507682
>>5507680
he gave his life for manga and to give the world great manga. Be grateful to the national treasure of Japan and the living Michaelangelo of our times Togashi sensei. Who are we mortals to judge the life of a living god?
>>
Are there any mangaka who started at a later age than early 20s?
>>
>>5507821
But HxH isn't even that appealing.
>>
>>5507842
It has sold millions of copies all over the world. Please post your super cool manga with more mass appeal than HxH anon
>>
is it bad that the main villain isnt the strongest but theres something stronger pulling the strings do you hate this trope or wat
>>
>>5506548
Wanted to attempt this sort of thing myself. I believe he talked about drawing 1000 pages of manga during his time in uni. But does that mean the panels, tones, effects, and the really detailed scenic panels need to be recreated almost exactly? Or would it be beneficial to just practice the style, perspective, and poses of the characters on each page? I'm probably dumb, but I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to get the most out of this... project? Study?
>>
>>5507842
Don’t respond to the troll anon
>>5507844
It doesn’t matter if we hate the trope, the trope has proven to be successful. If you like it then go ahead and do it
>>
>>5507332
>How do you make shure you don't sound like a shill?
Anything I say will just mean anybody here will be able to recognize you as a shill lol. Besides, when there's a series with basically no fucking views and/or came out only just now then anybody who sees it's actually by an english speaking creator will easily put 2 and 2 together to get 4. The point isn't to trick people into thinking you're not a shill, it's to make them aware that your series even exists in the first place. We're talking about Dog Nigga at all because the guy bothered to try and make people aware of the thing that he made, and if he hadn't then we wouldn't even know it exists to talk about it.
Obviously try to be respectful, but I don't think there's any situation where you do this and you're not the asshole, but sadly if you don't have a big money advertising campaign there's not much choice but to shill your stuff personally. It's tough to not be an obnoxious shill when the only way to succeed is to obnoxiously shill. This, easily, is the worst part of being an indie artist.

>>5507304
>>5507441
>how do people even get this fast
Practice, excitement to make the thing and a tight ass deadline forces them to either shit or get off the pot.
My advice: do something that you really want to do, right now, not later. Do it now.
If you can't think of anything then, for me, doing
quests (as in the ones on >>>/qst/ ) did the trick. Just having an audience interacting with your writing and drawings in real time, waiting for the next page, was motivation in enough to put my pen on the page pumping out work as fast as I could. Just throwing stuff into the void is soul crushing, but seeing people engaging dispels that very well.

>>5507500
>How many pages is the standard for a first chapter?
Depends on the publication. and the series. I think most magazines give authors a bit of freedom to use more pages than normal for the opening chapter.
>how many chapters should a volume have?
~180 pages.
>>
>>5507731
Get some fucking exercise dude. Go for a run outside or something.
>>
>>5507883
>do something that you really want to do, right now, not later. Do it now.
I have some projects on-deck that qualify, so I think I'm okay in this department. There's no actual shortage of things that I want to do and have the excitement for, but my own brain just constantly gets in the way unless I have a lot of energy that day, which is rare.

>>5507885
I think this might be my first step honestly. I eat clean so I'm not full-up on junk food, but I don't eat often enough and my internal chemistry is probably absolutely fucked. Gonna give eating more and biking more a try.
>>
>>5507902
I like biking but I run into the problem where my work is sitting on my ass all day and my exercise is sitting on my ass too. Not ideal but it's fun so I do it anyway.
>>
>>5507853
I think the 1000 pages might've been separate. As for the 30 pages, I imagine the screentones would be extremely limited, right? Or done digitally. I think screentones can take the most amount of time in a page
>>
File: 20210712_010658.png (1.01 MB, 1440x2191)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
Since manga is such high work load, anyone know if mangaka ever use these wrist braces? Personally I've been having trouble trying to rely less on using my wrist when drawing because using more of my arm leads go inaccuracies. I'm thinking maybe I should restrict my wrist for a while when sketching
>>
Is growing on webtoons mainly pure skill? I'm watching a lot of youtube videos on webtoons and they all say there's a lot of luck involved and the competition is high... but they all have shitty comics with shitty art and shitty stories. So I don't know what to think. Even big people like Jason Brubaker and Walter Ostlie have shit writing ability. There are people here that write better stories. I'm not even saying that I'm a good writer, but it's easy as an audience member to tell a bad story from a good story

Like, getting featured gives you a baseline income of 24k a year, and it's obviously a fulltime job since they want you to upload weekly. And if you don't get discovered by an editor to be featured, you can still grow really big and apply for the ad revenue program once you hit the right stats. And once you apply, you'll definitely be in the radar of editors at that point.

People say the algorithm is bad, but there are comics that blow up immediately from obscure creators right from the first episodes. I don't really know what to think
>>
i was too harsh. their comics weren't shit. just really bad
>>
>>5508439
>>5508453
YouTube seems like ass for learning about manga and comics from western artists. I especially dislike that nigga whyte or whytemanga whatever the fuck hes called
>>
>>5508466
just researching anything about webtoons is ass in general. I keep getting the same 20 articles from the same webtoon artists, who are all failures.
>>
>>5508439
Your post reads like you perceive a contradiction but you never spell it out. To me bad comics getting big and it all being based on luck not skill seems to be perfectly in line. If you really want to, you can replace "luck" with "being in the right place at the right time filling an unoccupied niche and finding an audience" and call it a skill, but it's obviously different from the purely technical and more quantifiable type of skill I assume you're talking about.
>>
>>5507883
>Depends on the publication. and the series. I think most magazines give authors a bit of freedom to use more pages than normal for the opening chapter.
Thanks senpai
>180 pages per volume
Is it ok if i have some extras or should be just exactly 180?
Let's say i start with 31 pages for each chapter . i would have left out of 180 like 8 pages extra.
Should i give up on those extra 8 or add them as well?
>>
>>5508565
>Is it ok if i have some extras or should be just exactly 180?
No, it doesn't matter. This is neither exact nor is it even a rule, it's just that most volumes of manga seem to land around 185ish pages, give or take a few. I don't know why that number, but it's fairly consistent between weekly and monthly series.
>>
>>5508571
Alright,thanks for clarifying.
>>
>>5508439
>Is growing on webtoons mainly pure skill? I'm watching a lot of youtube videos on webtoons and they all say there's a lot of luck involved and the competition is high... but they all have shitty comics with shitty art and shitty stories. So I don't know what to think. Even big people like Jason Brubaker and Walter Ostlie have shit writing ability. There are people here that write better stories. I'm not even saying that I'm a good writer, but it's easy as an audience member to tell a bad story from a good story

It's also about content. If your comic isn't Yaoi or Yuri. webtoons and Tapas won't promote them
>>
I feel like I’m too old to be making manga (28). Should I? I’m not particularly good (yet) and I feel like I’m going nowhere with this.
>>
>>5508931
>I feel like I’m too old to be making manga
lmao why? There are people order than you making Manga right now. Katsuhiro Otomo didn't start making Akira until he was your age.
>>
>>5508931
just try, listening to the lazy crabs who defeat themselves by believing they are too old or no talented is a losing strategy.
>>
>>5508931
most mangaka are old geezers
>>
>>5508145
Hmm, I guess using CSP for screentones and effects may be the easiest. I should probably go digital rather than trad anyway.
>>
>>5508938
>lmao why?
Don’t know. Some imposter syndrome I guess. I’m also torn between this and another creative pursuit that I like doing so it’s hard for me to feel like this is what I should be doing.
>>
>>5508931
I feel like you should only worry if you also don't have stable income. If you do have stable income, then there shouldn't be any rush. Manga can be done by anyone of any age and in any style.
>>
>>5508931
It's funny how much of a "oh it's too late/loser" mindset certain cultures can ingrain in people.

You realize most manga artists who have made it big were in their 30s/40s when their work "took off"? Age doesn't matter as much as you think.

Might as well commit sudoku because we all die some day if this is your mentality. (Don't commit sudoku, that's my point.)
>>
>>5509070
I can’t imagine they were still beginner artists at that age though.
>>
>>5509073
They definitely drew for a while, but the skill isn't that difficult to build up.
AOT is incredibly popular, as are some other manga, that are just complete sh*t to me. I hate the art and story-line so much, yet it's so popular.
My friend is about to be 30 and almost NEVER drew in his life, wanted to, but it wasn't until literally 5-6 months ago he took the pen up and started. The difference in his work from just that time period is insane, and actually made me feel guilty for not putting as much effort into my improving own over the years (he draws most mornings)
>>
>>5509073
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_(manga_artist)

stop making excuses
>>
>>5508931
https://batuque.fandom.com/wiki/Sako_Toshio
The author of Usogui and Batuque was 28 when he started learning and made his first debut at 32, it's perfectly doable
So just shut the fuck up and draw
>>
>>5509090
Not making excuses but I thought maybe I could express the things I wouldn’t say publicly here.
>>
>>5509088
Funny because I loved the AoT art. I thought it added something totally unintentional that I loved. I do remember him saying he thought his art was pretty bad now and he got a lot of flak for that.
>>
Is looming a waste of time if you already know extreme beginner stuff?
>>
>>5509185
pyw
>>
>>5509155
Society conditions us to think that we live to work and to build something up out of nothing by burning ourselves out until we're no longer desirable so we can afford to sit on our asses until we die. The reality is that this mythical phase never comes, you're still alive, still raring to go and you have the entire rest of your entire lifetime to learn, study and create anything you want. There's no such thing as starting too late. Yeah, you may not learn as quick as a child, but the beauty of art is that there's also no such thing as a skill ceiling and every single artist dies a student.
If making comics is the thing you wanna do, then go for it, anon. Ignore the ticking of the clock, study and learn and take each step towards your goal, in any way you can. Work a full time job and can only draw on the side? Not a problem, as long as you find a little time for your art and you keep at it consistently it's only a matter of "when". Have a story you really want to tell no matter what? Every comic artist will tell you that your current skill level takes a backseat to your storytelling and working on comic will automatically improve your art skills.
The same goes for the other creative pursuit you mentioned. Hell, you could even do both. Just take that step and we (or at least I) will be there with you along the way.
>>
>>5509218
>Hell, you could even do both. Just take that step and we (or at least I) will be there with you along the way.
Man, I wish. I actually don’t feel like I can do both. I feel like if I want to go particularly good at either, which I do, I’ll have to choose to abandon one in the end.
>>
>>5509229
Keep one as a hobby then, let it take over when you need a break. You don't have to completely abandon it.
>>
>>5509229
Okay bro. You got your answers. You can stop polluting this thread with your self pitying drivel now.
>>
just wanna double check, im drawing for SMAC is this the correct format? B4 220x310.
We can draw in the second inner box but not important detail such as faces and dialogue right?
>>
>>5508931
I'm 27 seven and im running for SMA, the guy who won it before is 29 btw. Also in tezuka contest there were a bunch of 25+ years old.
There are mangaka who are in their late 60s, you're probably thinking of shonen manga which varies but in general anyone can make manga. Now cheer up and start drawing, be it casual or professional manga.
>>
>>5506548
from what i have watched (all other japanese manga tubers) the stigma of manga school seems be better over year. probably because drawing is easier nowaday with accessibility.
>>
>>5507441
If you are working as an artist and not just as a hobby, 2 pages a day is the "ok". depend on the complexity of your page too, there are people who can churn out 4 pages a day because their manga art style is simple. a complex manga without assistant is 2 at best. this is not considering with the nemu and meeting with editor
>>
File: file.png (55 KB, 1702x817)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>5509648
Please save this image I'm getting tired repeating myself
>>
>>5506297
it is a good idea to draw on paper and ink on digital
>be me
>headache after 20 min of tablet drawing
>burnout from digital cuz some glasese shit
>can´t focus cuz youtube
>>
>>5509701
Why don't you just ink it in trad?
>>
>>5509707
no money and screentones are expensive
>>
>>5509714
So just do screentones digitally, like everybody else.
>>
>>5509688
What are the dimensions for this
>>
>>5509792
That's simply the default A4 canvas in CSP. The areas are roughly the same with any other standard binding that I'm aware of.
>>
>>5509802
By the default canvas you mean this?
>>
>>5509835
>>
>>5509835
>>5509837
SMAC should have a formatting guide. If it doesn't have one then you're likely free to work in any standard format. The image posted here >>5509688 is in reference to your question as to where you're allowed to draw. The innermost box is referred to as the Safe area, since there's a 100% chance that absolutely nothing will be cut inside of it, which makes it the right place to put essential dialogue and image details. Outside of that is generally pretty safe up until the very edge, where you might lose a cm or a fraction of an inch on one side or the other, which means important details shouldn't go there. The next stage up has a high amount of variance which means nothing important should go out there and you should only draw up to the limit of that section if you want your art to "bleed" off of the page, and anything past that line is absolutely getting cropped 100%.
>>
>>5509840
Also worth noting that things outside of the Safe area can also be lost to the book's binding, which is the other reason why you want to be careful with the placement of things in that area. They might be present when the page is actually printed, but when the book is bound whatever was there will be swallowed into the spine between the pages.
>>
File: file.png (72 KB, 896x823)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>5509835
>>5509837
I mean this. But what I'm saying is that it doesn't matter, the information in my image applies whether you're using a4, b4, b3, whatever.
>>
>>5509846
I see, so the very last border with those crosses means that everything past that gets cropped, right? Might as well eliminate that extra white space then
>>
>>5509856
No. Don't. It's there for a reason; without that, you won't be able to ensure that what you make up to the Full Bleed marker is actually all the way out of your printable page. You'll end up with weird visual artifacts at the very edge where you unknowingly didn't connect anything.

The page layout is made that way for a reason. It works, just trust it.
>>
>>5509858
Okay. Thank you for explaining it to me in detail. I probably wouldn't have understood it at all without your help.
>>
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/4798063185/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3449338/
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/69111380

These were posted in the last thread. Has anyone checked them out? Are they helpful? Can't even read two of them.
>>
>>5510097
You'd be better off just reading "Making Comics" by Scott McCloud. It's what the study you linked references anyway.
The last image you posted is just an afterword of some artist. Nothing useful here.
>>
File: kjhjkh.png (202 KB, 496x377)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
Do you do this /MMG/? no lying.

[spoiler] I do [/spoiler]
>>
Which brushes should I use for CSP?
>>
>>5510148
Uh, no? Generally when I draw I'm, you know, drawing.

>>5510150
How the hell should we answer that? Use whatever brush you want. The defaults work just fine, if that's what you're asking.
>>
>>5510148
Not to that degree. But if you're not invested in your characters and actions to do something similar, you're ngmi
>>
>>5510110
I read 3 pages of that and it was already enough to get my feet wet and do dozens of thumbnails. Great book.
>>
File: dfgdfgdfsgdfsgsdfg.png (15 KB, 518x470)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>5510159
>I've acted out entire scenes alone in my room
>>
>>5510174
>not to that degree
>entire scene
We got Einsteins in this thread, that's for sure
>>
File: hjghjghg.png (22 KB, 273x355)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>5510187
I greentexted incorrectly... I was talking about me.
>>
>>5510193
Then you're gmi.
>>
File: jhkjhjkhkjh.png (92 KB, 313x243)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
>>5510199
>Then you're gmi.
>>
>>5510200
But not if your art is shit
>>
>>5506297
Does this thread also allow general comic-book creation as well?
>>
File: dfgdfghdgfd.png (352 KB, 478x575)
352 KB
352 KB PNG
>>5510204
>But not if your art is shit

>>5510210
some of us have left to right reading comics but still post here.
>>
Why do you insist on avatarfagging? Just post normally.
>>
>>5506297
What's the best way for planning my panels?
>thumbnails or full on sketches?
Which one is better?
Also should it have some design rule attached to them?
>small medium large...etc
>>
>>5510218
They're clearly >mfw posting.

>>5510210
We cater more towards manga but yes. People have posted western-styled work in here as well and we try to give it the same amount of respect that we give manga-styled work. As long as you're aware that we'll likely approach things from the angle of Japanese comic-making as opposed to other methods and will provide thoughts and feedback through that lens, you should be fine here.
>>
>>5506310
Is this a dark skin male sharing intimacy with a dark skin female?? That is one of the rarest things to see in fictional media lol
>>
>>5510688
Go away.
>>
Hey guys, can anyone spoonfeed me some books about the history of manga in Japan, the industry, authors, so on.
Most text I find is on blogs, "video essays" and wikipedia.
>>
>>5510706
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_manga
>>
>>5510710
Some great articles in the references. Should've checked earlier, thank you.
>>
>>5510700
?
>>
>>5507283
Why are you just learning Kanji on AJATT. I’m doing ReFold, which as I understood, is just a variation on AJATT and you don’t actually study just Kanji.

Are you still doing immersion? I burned out a while back hard and took a week which turned to 2 weeks which turned to a month and then a few months…you get the idea. I had a hard time finding stuff I could read so early on.
>>
>>5507441
being around people that share your interests and share a goal can make a world of a difference. I'm not talking about discord friends or people you may never see in your life, but people who you can go for a drink or fool around with.
>>
>>5511125
In close to 400 kanji now. I don’t know anything about refold, but if you learn kanji with heisig’s method you can learn really fast. I can input 70 kanji a day a remember most of it. (I spend close to 4 hours a day studying though) I don’t think im going to burn out, I have a goal (to reach n2 / n1 level be a manga assistant) and its super addicting, I stay up all night thinking about Japanese
>>
>>5511125
the thing you do after Kanji is to start mining sentences, which is supposed to teach you pronunciation, vocabulary, grammar, etc. But you have to start with recognizing the kanji. My immersion isn't that much yet, but I want to get to a point where I know I'll get a lot out of my immersion as quickly as possible
>>
>>5510174
>>5510193
>>5510200
>>5510215
your drawings are getting really good
>>
Is cardstock good for manga? Something like A4 or 8.5x11. What gsm/lb would you recommend?
>>
>>5511279
>>5511285
Refold doesn’t focus on Kanji at all. The biggest focus is just in immersion material and then you do vocab flash cards so you pick up kanji as you learn vocab and that’s it.

I burn out quite easily though.
>>
File: mmg.jpg (190 KB, 550x784)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
hows it look, mmg?
>>
>>5511821
http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/all-japanese-all-the-time-ajatt-how-to-learn-japanese-on-your-own-having-fun-and-to-fluency/

You might want to check out AJATT if you want to learn as quickly as possible. I watched some reviews of Refold and it seems to be slower than what you can do with AJATT. It's tough though
>>
File: 898898.jpg (361 KB, 833x1200)
361 KB
361 KB JPG
>>5508931
Thanks for this post and all of the anons who replied to it. I'm not going to let my age[26] stop me from drawing manga. I'll have something to post in a couple months.

Good luck everyone.
>>
Saw a post today where someone was saying that they'd turn down a publishing deal if they didn't let them publish their book Right to Left because they want to "make a manga as they're supposed to be" rather than a "manga-inspired comic."

Does that seem strange to anyone else? I don't know why, but it feels oddly reductive and I'm not sure how to feel about that. There's manga that's read "down" after all, in both webtoon formats and 4koma formats, and way back in the day they used to flip manga so that it was read L-R in the west.

Is this thinking weird to anyone else or are there lots of people that feel that way?
>>
>>5512267
It seems weird to me because ultimately what does it fucking matter if your work is R->L or L->R? It's a totally superficial thing to worry about. There's nothing about manga that requires they be R->L other than that their primary readership learns from birth to read from right to left. And I say this as someone who also makes their stuff R->L.
So, to me, it's arbitrary and you should just do whatever is going to help your readers engage in your work. I sure as fuck wouldn't turn down a publishing deal over it, that would be retarded.
>>
i think im in the wrong place.
>>
>>5512267
it's just some raging autist who'd never get a publishing deal either way, why give a shit
>>
>>5512386
Are you >>5512005?
It looks unfinished. If you were going for sexy, it ain't. If you're going for silly, you need to push the wackiness more. If you're going for anything else then I dunno what to tell you.
>>
>>5509654
If you're still checking out this thread, which story belongs to the 29 year old?
>>
File: dance.jpg (1.16 MB, 1200x776)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
inked wips. Thanks for the advice before, working on bigger paper and taking more time allows me to focus on anatomy. it takes much longer but the characters look better. guess i have to find a good balance between speed and quality.
>>
Maybe it's because I recently really got into making manga recently but I'm finding new appreciation for the medium as a whole. For example, it was difficult to get into shounen shit like Kaijuu no.8 before but I picked it up today and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I wonder if anyone have experienced something similar.
>>
>>5512279
I agree with you but do you think composition choices matter when it comes to paneling? Golden Ratio meme, if you subscribe to it, for example. Maybe it might not be as simple as flipping every panel as there are layout considerations, too. Just a thought, not an attempt at defending pedantic autism.
>>
>>5513085
Not them but the Golden Ratio would still be the Golden Ratio regardless of the direction its facing, wouldn't it? Since pages are bound and viewed in pairs, the pair of each page would also be flipped, so complex two-page constructions would still play out the same way, just in the opposite direction.
>>
>>5513087
True, I'm probably overthinking it. But then what about things like character's dominant hands or other asymmetrical traits?
>>
>>5513095
maybe there's some fringe cases where it does matter, but in the grand scheme of things, if you're talking about like thousands of pages worth of comics, would you really flip the reading order so that you could get something like five panels absolutely perfect and risk alienating the audience
>>
I'm losing motivation at learning Japanese. I figure that if I can make it at Shonen Jump, I can probably make it on webtoons. But if I'm spending 4 hours a day studying Japanese, I'm losing out time on my manga. Fuck. Maybe I should just moderate my pace at learning Japanese, just 1 hour a day? Learning Japanese and attending a manga school sounds so outlandish and ghetto to me now. Sorry, just venting
>>
>>5513085
>>5513087
>>5513095
Hey now, flipping artwork that you've already drawn is a separate issue. I do think that artwork shouldn't be flipped... though, there are ways you can draw things so that flipping the art doesn't make much difference, but I doubt anybody has or wants to bother with that. The argument this who was saying is that "it's not really manga if it's not R->L" and that he'd turn down a publishing deal if they wanted him to make it in L->R. If they wanted to flip their artwork, then that's different, and I'd probably be 50/50 on whether I turn it down or not, probably leaning toward turning it down. By this point most of the audience for this stuff has wrapped their heads around reading in a different direction to what they're used to, only a small minority refuses to read something based on purely the reading direction.
>>
>>5507332
is it possible to make your own website and post manga there idk how should I get started on that subject
>>
>>5513419
Wordpress is free and takes like 30 minutes to set up.
If you want a reader on your site it takes more work.
>>
File: gdfgdfsgdfgdf.png (335 KB, 655x937)
335 KB
335 KB PNG
>>5511307
thanks anon. newest chapter are my favorite so far
>>
Has Alice anon inspired a bunch of people to follow in his footsteps and aim for Jump? I’m seeing a lot more interest in publishing in Japan than in previous threads.
>>
>>5513227
I don’t have an answer for you but I’m in the same spot. Depending on your study method, Japanese practice can be hours per day. I also have a full time job and I write on top of everything. Between practicing Japanese, immersing in Japanese, practicing drawing, reading manga, writing, and reading I sometimes end up getting so overwhelmed that I I only get a fraction of it all done in a day. The issue is simply too many ambitions but I don’t know what to do about it.
>>
>>5514207
I thought about it the whole day yesterday, and I realized that I found learning languages to be too fun, so I'm continuing with Japanese anyways, even if I plan to stay in North America and just try to make it on webtoons. I'm scaling back to just doing a little bit of Japanese a day, but I like it too much to stop. Maybe this is a big mistake on my part. Maybe I should be focusing 100% on my manga

>>5514014
I was only interested in publishing in Japan because I thought it was easier than webtoons, but that was a stupid idea on my part. It's (probably) equally possible/impossible anywhere, you just have to be really good. There's also the opportunity of enrolling at a manga school or becoming a manga assistant, but I don't know if my Japanese will ever be good enough for that, plus I feel like I'm too old for this, I should be some sort of an established artist already
>>
>>5514254
I think realistically, you can focus on manga while also learning the language. I personally feel like I have 3 pretty involved ambitions and I could probably work with 2 but 3 is too many. I know that’s just me but I would suspect you could manage too. The way I am now, I seriously feel like I’m drowning. Im liable to just let go of it all rather than try to keep everything afloat.
>>
>>5514254
>I feel like I'm too old for this
How old are you?
>>
File: 20210709_211937.jpg (90 KB, 750x509)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>5514254
Anon jebus christ no you need to accept that you are a western artists and take steps from there. Look up Tony Valent, the author of Radiant. He's a French comic book artist that dreamed of making "manga" so he practiced for years and later moved to canada to live in solitude to hone his manga style. His western comic Radiant became successful in japan iirc and he was recognized by real mangaka because he reached such style and skill due to his appreciation of manga culture
>>
I want to start making comics but I don't know how to start, I'm used to writing in a non visual way and even then I always get stuck at the idea brainstorming stage.

Always shooting ideas down because they're boring and overdone, any tips to generate story ideas?
>>
Anyone knows what’s the name of this book?
>>
>>5514794
Wrong thread
>>
File: PAIR.png (247 KB, 516x451)
247 KB
247 KB PNG
>>5514014
Personally I was never interested in going for Jump (not really my style, something like Bessatsu is probably better for what I want to make), plus the knowledge that I'd have years of just studying and immersing myself in the language ahead of me is enough of a deterrent to bother going for publishing in japan. I'm already 25, I don't want to be in my 30s before I even have a chance. I'd rather try to stick it out in the west and just hope I can make something good enough that will gain enough of a following. Enough of a following to make a living and continue making stuff, enough of a following to warrant people translating the work, hopefully enough of a following to generally be considered a "success" by anybody's metric.
Frankly, right now I have no real excuse for not having loads of pages to post right now though, I've just been lazy, and changing my mind too much. It's hard to pick just one idea that excites me when I have 20 different conflicting ideas that all excite me. I wouldn't call it choice paralysis, more like choice ADD.

>>5514403
Start by fucking making stuff. You don't need to know anything to start. Stop thinking, start making. When you've made stuff you'll understand what you need to study, just don't stop the second you realize something is difficult. Gotta fail first, and fail fast.
>>
>>5514403
Damn just suck a dick already
>>
bump
>>
File: 81vFFcG75LL.jpg (323 KB, 1219x1773)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
Since there was some scattered discussion of nihongo in this thread I just wanted to drop you guys some links, these are guides made by successful otaku language learners for otaku language learners using anime/VNs/manga to learn the language. It's AJATT inspired immersion based learning but it strips out a lot of the fluff and bad practices. Refold is just AJATT reskinned with polish because the AJATT guy disappeared, however the creator of Refold is a bit of a grifter and the community is full of dekinais so I would avoid giving him any money or interacting with his followers.

https://animecards.site/
https://learnjapanese.moe/
Honestly I think anyone who wants to work in the manga industry is fucking nuts but that also makes me want to cheer you on. がんばれ!
>>
>>5516340
Is Refold not a good method though? I realize it’s more or less the same as AJATT but I’ve noticed he really makes it a point to engage details like tone accent, pitch, grammar where others ignore it and he’s so good I think it kind of speaks for itself.
>>
>>5514254
>There's also the opportunity of enrolling at a manga school or becoming a manga assistant, but I don't know if my Japanese will ever be good enough for that, plus I feel like I'm too old for this, I should be some sort of an established artist already
You should probably be like N2/N1 before enrolling but that’s not so unattainable. You can get there quickly with effort. Personally, I think manga school is probably worth it assuming it’s a good one. People often forget that at the end of the day, manga is a product and products have industries around them. Manga is really not so different. If nothing else, it could help you get to know other artists, techniques, possibly become an assistant, which would be really crucial. I’m favorable if you can do it and you know you want to do it and if it’s a good school. As for the age, I think you might be surprised. I’d be willing to bet that it’s mostly people in their early 20s but manga is such an enormous industry now. I’d almost guarantee that they get more than a handful of older students, probably much older than you even.
>>
>>5516427
All roads lead to rome - as long as immersion is involved the specifics are not as important as consistency. I don't want to have an extended discussion in this thread, so if you want to discuss methods I'd recommend checking out DJT on /int/ (the /jp/ thread is a mess) or joining one of the discords linked on the sites I linked (I'm not in either currently but they have a lot of dedicated and advanced people there who are harsh but willing to help)
>>
>>5516438
I was reading Badoom on webtoons and I'm baffled at why it's not more popular. The story's a bit disjointed but it's entertaining and the world is fascinating. Now I'm nervous about the chances of making it on webtoons, since Badoom is the kind of comic that I feel like I would've like to have written. The reason why Badoom isn't more popular probably is because it's not tailored towards the target audience of webtoons, so I feel like having a dedicated editor that could help a creator tailor their comic to the magazine would be hugely beneficial. That could happen in Japan, but the chances are slim in webtoons.

So, I might double-down and try to move to Japan, at least within the next 2-3 years. If I follow ajatt right it could happen. I've been looking into manga schools but I keep getting advertisements and nothing from regular people about which ones are the best. It's usually not good to just fall for slick marketing, so do you have any schools you could recommend? The worst thing would be to save up money and move to Japan, only to attend a shitty manga school and be isolated from everyone and the whole industry. The more ideal option would be to get started as an assistant right away, of course
>>
>>5516468
>It's usually not good to just fall for slick marketing, so do you have any schools you could recommend?
Honestly, no. I don’t know enough about the specific schools. I just know enough about how they work broadly to give my opinion on schools in general. If I were you, I would try to do some research to see where successful people are going. I suppose I would agree with you and say I see it as an order of preference. Obviously, the best thing to do is to just make your own manga and get picked up. Second best would be to get hired as an assistant right out of the gate. Third best would be to go to a school, assuming you can trade off the time and money. I say this as someone who hates school and schooling by the way so if I really didn’t believe that, I wouldn’t say it. If you do go, just make sure it’s what you really want to do because it will be a lot of time and money in retrospect and it very well may not work out how you plan.
>>
>>5516468
I guess I should be honest too and say that I’m also looking to go to Japan as soon as possible. I’m not just looking to go so I can publish manga. I just want to go to Japan for a number of personal reasons. But I basically just plan to teach English and hope I can make something worth publishing. I’m a bit older too and I know I’m just not interested in school or assistant work but that’s my personal choice.
>>
>>5516708
>>5516711
that sounds like a good idea, though it seems like most mangaka debuted in high school. I'll look into it. Good luck with your move to Japan too
>>
Have you guys noticed the surge of black "mangaka"? And all their manga ideas boils down to "DBZ but BLACK" or "Naruto but BLACK"?
>>
>>5516917
I haven't seen them, do you have some examples?
>>
>>5516925
I see them all the time on social media, especially on Instagram. Here's one but it might not be the best example:
https://www.pulsemanga.com/galaxy-king-series-page

From what I've observed, they always boil down to the common denominator shounen battle with the only twist being the cast is black.
>>
File: 1624666780163.png (46 KB, 165x391)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
>>5516917
No?
>>
>>5516917
This subject gets brought up once in a blue moon here. The long and short of it is that if you want to sit down and read through one of their releases and critique it properly, feel free to do so. Otherwise, they're already ahead of you insofar as they've got something finished and published and (You) don't.

Put your nose down and work. This is a crab-free zone. Be substantial or draw.
>>
>>5516945
>published
Point me towards one so I can critique it properly. So far, the sponsored posts that invade my Instagram feed have been subpar. No need to get so defensive, it's just an observation.
>>
>>5517057
I'm not defensive. Just keeping low-quality conversations from clogging up the thread.
>>
>>5517061
Instead of ignoring my post, you decided to back-seat-janny and clogged it up further while offering nothing of value at the same time. Bravo, anon.
>>
Can you faggots just post the goddamn ghetto dbz already and stop having gay sex with each other? I want to read that.
>>
I struggle with redrawing the same character, anyone have tips or videos?
>>
>>5517196
Tip: do it a lot
Bideo: none because that's time you could be practicing instead
>>
>>5517078
2/10 bait
>>
File: 1568513403718.png (889 KB, 756x715)
889 KB
889 KB PNG
It seems like most westerners want to one day have their work on jump.
If you are aiming for jump, especially if you only want to be in jump and will take nothing else, why? Have you researched around before coming to that decision? Jump may be lucrative in terms of sales and anime guarantee, but... works you took years to come up with may fail for no reason, until you gain millions of sales you will have to change chapters to cater to the readership, and the editors can be pretty overbearing. This is on top of the fact that the jump grind often leads to extremely unhealthy lifestyles, a lot of very young, overly critical fans, and burnouts.
>>
>>5517250
>It seems like most westerners want to one day have their work on jump.
Personally I don't care about where I publish as long as I get an audience. I want the biggest audience possible for my work. That probably isn't Jump--at least not in this age.

I think the reason why a lot of people like it is because it's a prestige thing. It's like going to Harvard, even if what you'd be majoring in would be better done at some other college.
>>
File: Documento_72_2.jpg (746 KB, 2182x2048)
746 KB
746 KB JPG
This is my first ever attempt at a comic I did a week or so ago, my style isn't appealing at all and the skill is poor, but I do hope at least to submit something for the silent manga audition with average skill-level quality starting working on the project by early 2022 assuming my skills are much better than this and I have actual appeal. Tear it apart, I am working on more right now.
>>
>>5517325
you are that guy that says hes really dumb and then still gets really good grades
stop fishing compliments
>>
>>5517409
No, there's plenty of issue with that.

>>5517325
Its really not terrible, but I'd say your biggest problem (at least to me) is a lack of line weight, so background, foreground, form, detail, tends to all blend together and much of what's going on just becomes noise.

The buildings and trees are more or less symbol drawings. I'd say you should push the shadowing a bit further, since you're indicating it with just some hatching with lines that are about as thick as everything else. Use some more varied texture styles, and/or some blackspotting. Middle panel on the left is my favorite, and easily probably the best part of the whole page. Golem thing is kinda neat, but are his arms attached to anything? Or are the hands just sort of floating? Also, his head looks like a bit pair of tits from the thumbnail.
>>
>>5517250
Manga is both an art and a product. It’s only natural that creators would aspire to to publication which both affords the most and puts it in front of the most readers.
>>
>>5517409
Jealousy is an ugly trait and is probably what's keeping you from improving.

>>5517325
You have a good technical ability and, if you were to work on your shortcomings then you could probably improve relatively fast. From the page you posted, to me, composition seems to be a big issue.

For example, the knight girl being between right where the robot's crotch is not great, unless you want were going for something rape-y. Even if that was the case, you should try to avoid drawing lines on tangents.
>>
>>5512441
The guy name is Ichirou he won several early SMA contest. the lucky crane and fatherhood manga were his
>>
>>
>>5517819
>>
>>5517820
it takes me a long time to come up with a panel because I'm so bad at perspective, I feel stupid I wish I can just be good at it...
>>
>>5517250
>It seems like most westerners want to one day have their work on jump.
Is this even true? It feels like a thing I've been hearing for over two decades, but I doubt most of those people even put in the work towards the goal. It seems more like a, if it happened, it'd be cool moment and that's it. The entire lifestyle and community behind it is non-existent which is basically what you said.
>>
>>5517819
Looks nice anon. Reminds me of golden boy intro.
>>
I got like 500 clippy points that are expiring, any good manga materials to buy?
>>
>>5517826
I like these. On the second to the last panel, does her hair become undone because she's surprised? Also, it looks like her hair grows, too. With that said, I like the expression.
>>
>>5517979
the 3d material, they save so much time.
>>
>>5517914
thanks, now that you mention it, yeah!
>>5517982
yup, I'll to keep her hair at shoulder length.
I'm using the horror manga meme face that Japanese use lol.
>>
>>5516917
>Naruto but BLACK
God you are reminding me of black sun
>>
Sorry for taking so long to respond, /ic/ is slow, so I closed the window then forgot about it.
>>5517263
>jump isn't the most popular for manga
No, it is, it definitely is, but it also cuts like crazy based on ratings. You are very likely to get cut before your idea is fully realized.
>prestige
I don't think that word fits jump either. It's main goal is mainstream, and I feel like most readers who want something really amazing don't check it out first.
>>5517659
I have no clue what you mean in
>affords the most
as for
>most readers
Unless your work is exactly what the current readers are looking for at that moment you are likely not going to last very long. Your highly creative and high effort manga will likely be put down instantly. Is it worth going for a publication where you have to bow down to the readers?
>>5517895
Talking to westerners about being mangaka goes
>what kind of manga do you want to make
battle shonen
>what mag
jump

Guess none of you guys really want to go to jump. Did any of you look around to see what publications you would like to be a part of? Any of you would take self publishing (twitter, pixiv) over a mag?
I would personally, if I were to have an idea for a long manga, want it to be in young animal (not just cause of berserk, ueno san is fire too)
>>
>>5518059
>yup, I'll to keep her hair at shoulder length.
I was thinking more about the bangs! They're incredibly short in the previous panels.
>I'm using the horror manga meme face that Japanese use lol.
I noticed lol and I love it. I almost want you to dedicate the entire bottom third to it... but that's just me being selfish.
>>
>>5517248
The only bait here is you, you tiny brained worm who can't see the irony of your actions.
>>
you would think drawing a manga within 17 pages is easy but it's really fucking hard trying to compress a meaningful story within a few page while making sense.
>>
>>5518256
Simplifying ideas is hard and often underrated, imo.
>>
>>5518131
>No, it is, it definitely is, but it also cuts like crazy based on ratings. You are very likely to get cut before your idea is fully realized.
More popular than just posting on the internet? I doubt it. It's the most popular among mags maybe, but outside of that I wouldn't be so sure.
>>
>>5518343
Not him but anything that gets put in Jump gets attention by virtue of being one of the 20 series in each issue. On the internet, you need to get big first to get readers, but publishing in a magazine guarantees readership, and likely a small readership. Sure, if editorial deems it not worth running over continuing to look for something better and cans you that sucks, but arguably it's preferable to spinning your wheels online for nobody in the hopes of getting a fraction of the audience you might get even as a failure in Jump.
>>
>>5518363
No one remembered the failures from Jump. So it feels about the same really. How many failed Jump series can you name over the years? Not even half of them.j2p8v
>>
>>5518374
>No one remembered the failures from Jump
"nobody" (read: you) don't remember them because they didn't care about them. Every series in Jump at least has SOME fans, and those fans might follow the author to see what he makes next if his work in Jump ends up being cut short. Jump, and by extension magazine publications in general, are good because they are still exposing your work to a large audience. Sure, most won't care, but some do. It certainly isn't the same as releasing onto the web and praying that people even see your stuff at all.
>>
>>5518363
>>5518382
this is the reason why I'm learning Japanese. Can I make it in comics in the west? Yeah. But is the industry way bigger and more well-supported in Japan? Yeah. It's like, sure I can work on a potato farm for the rest of my life, but I'd rather go to university and get an office job
>>
>>5517819
>>5517820
>>5517826
i like this art style gives me ghibli combined with junji ito vibes. also i like her scared face
>>
>>5518382
It sounds like the argument is just between the sheer scalability of an internet audience versus the (not guaranteed but still more likely) ground floor of readership that SJ provides. I wouldn't say that these two things are in competition with one-another, it's just a case of whether you want to prioritize a bottom floor or a limitless ceiling.
>>
>>5517325
I'm not an artist I'm just here to admire everyone's art and I just think this is fucking BEAUTIFUL, the perspective on the girl in the top left looks fucked though
>>
>>5506297
If you want to make a comic, why the FUCK would you ever make it in Manga style if you had the option to otherwise?
You can't even make it in color. What the fuck is wrong with weebs? Do something original instead of copying this shit style
>>
>>5518519
I mean, people like manga, and it sells, and manga on average has much better art than comics, and coloring comics takes a lot of extra time and money, so, you know
>>
>>5518524
>manga on average has much better art than comics
This is completely subjective, but it's also false
>>
>>5518530
Go read any old Marvel issue that came out this month, and compare it to what you see in Shounen Jump, same target demographic
>>
>>5518519
bait
>>
>>5518536
So I just googled "marvel comics 2021" and then Shounen Jump, and the marvel stuff looks way more interesting, even though I don't actually care for marvel at all.
If we're just comparing art, the manga looks boring af and like it was drawn by a bored high schooler, whereas the marvel ones actually look like they were done by a professional.
>>5518537
Yeah, it's gonna get attention, but that doesn't make it any less sincere
>>
At least you tried.
>>
Actual retard (I'm talking about you)
>>
File: 1626516150581.png (8 KB, 400x400)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>5518519
>If you want to make a comic, why the FUCK would you ever make it in Manga style if you had the option to otherwise?
Because I can finish 4 pages in a day this way.
>>
File: interesting.jpg (24 KB, 380x394)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>5518519
>If you want to make music, why the FUCK would you ever write rock if you had the option to do otherwise? You can't even use EDM-style sampling. What the fuck is wrong with metalheads? Do something original instead of copying this shit style.
>>
Do you basically only care about money and getting it done?
Sounds pretty soulless
>>
>>5518600
personally, I like having colored comics, but I hate coloring. So I'm planning to pay for a colorist once I get rich and famous. I can be more productive if i only do pen&ink and get more skill quicker this way
>>
*so
Fuck qwerty
>>
>>5518600
I care about being able to finish the project I start.
>>
>>5518633
>half assed = finished
>>
>>5518600
If anything, caring for your life by being able to provide for yourself with money and work is extremely full of soul. It would be soulless if you're some manic who just works without eating and sleeping.
>>
File: 1554916010359.webm (2.92 MB, 900x580)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB WEBM
>>5518651
I see you're looking for an argument, not an answer.
>>
>>5518661
That should have been clear the moment that he actually had to ask that question in here instead of figuring that it's probably because different people like different styles of art.
>>
If it's not colored, it's objectively not finished
>>
>>5518713
you guys are so bad at this lmao, what a waste of time
>>
>>5518343
>>5518363
>How many eyes do you get by being in shonen jump
Between 1.5 to 2 million just in physical media, this is not counting digital and worldwide readership like viz or jump plus. You are almost guaranteed an anime if you passed 100 chapters (two years) in jump. Some of jump's best selling works in the past few years have sold as many volumes in a year as decades of batman and superman.
sauce: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekly_Sh%C5%8Dnen_Jump
>Throughout 2019, it had an average circulation of over 1.6 million copies per week. Many of the best-selling manga originate from Weekly Shōnen Jump.

>do people remember you if you failed
A lot do, and a lot track to see if u19 mangaka make new works and get back into the mag.
>>
>>5518924
It really is an amazing system that they have. Webtoons doesn’t even come close, at least not for another 20 years
>>
>>5518924
>>5518934
Webtoons will never come close, digital magazines will, but not just assortments of webtoons, it's worth mentioning that Europe was much bigger on comics anthologies than the US and it seems it benefitted them and made their comics industries more resilient (and less filled with shit) as well
>>
>>5506297
Does a print on demand service for adult doujinshi actually exists?
Something like red bubble where you upload a digital file and they print it for every person that5 buys it.
>>
>>5518519
Because that’s what I want to do and I don’t have to explain myself to you.
>>
File: qqq.jpg (41 KB, 711x298)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>5518934
>>5519000
Huh? Aren't they already? Lore Olympus has five million subscribers by itself; that's one comic having more of an audience than Jump's supposed circulation. Sure, you could say that not everyone is reading it every week, but chances are not everyone in Jump's audience is reading every manga in the mag either.
>>
bros what do you think of Fujimoto latest one shot?
>>
>>5518600
You won’t be able to make money creating a webcomic
>>
>>5519843
What they were posting was just copium, webtoons is good enough for the most part and gets a lot of visitors but you have to pander to women to make it.
>>
>>5519000
>Europe was much bigger on comics anthologies than the US and it seems it benefitted them and made their comics industries more resilient (and less filled with shit) as well
Stop smoking shit, the European comic scene is pretty dead.
Everything is just online now
>>5519922
Also the fact that people don’t have to pirate it works to webtoons advantage.
>>
>>5519000
>digital magazines will
Go god, how far up the ass are you to unironically think that will work
Audiences don’t like paying for shit, there is a reason why tapas isn’t as popular as webtoons.
>>
>>5519886
Im still doing my daily 8 hours of drawing so I havent read it yet
>>
File: 1611643537111.jpg (23 KB, 720x491)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>5519886
Just finished it
I find myself in a profoundly somber state of introspectiveness, similar to when I read Fire Punch.
I wasted my life "studying" trying to make my art perfect and never doing anything with my "skills" beyond waiting-room doodles in a notebook.
The time, once gone, will never come back. You don't know what forces may fall upon you and steer your life in any direction.
Be grateful for the time you have and make the most of every moment.
>>
>>5519886
>>5519934
Link?
>>
>>5519937
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009755
>>
>>5518924
>this is not counting digital and worldwide readership like viz or jump plus.
300k tops
Most people just pirate it, and by most 99%
>>
>>5519939
Wow, that really was very powerful.

I'm gonna have to sit on that for a while.
>>
>>5519939
I didn't know a oneshot could bring me to tears
>>
>>5519969
weak mind emotionally fragile
>>
File: 5.jpg (1.3 MB, 940x1265)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>5519886
>>5519934
>>5519960
what an absolute masterpiece! I haven't read chainsaw man but that artist is a master of manga so now I got to go check out chainsaw man too.

I finished some new pages. I've been told by more than a few that my figure drawing is pretty stiff, and I agree. Do any anons have advice for how I can loosen it up? Do you have any gesture drawing tutorials you recommend?

here's links to the 4 new pages:
https://tapas.io/episode/2232964

all crits and advice is appreciated

>>5519960
>>5519969
it's the art of a master of their craft with something to say, you got to love it
>>
>>5519978
autistic faggot
>>
File: zfcasdfsdfasdf.png (134 KB, 344x779)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
I'm finally getting decent at these uncommon head angles
>>
>>5519886
I read it, call me a hater but I didn't like it.
The characters personalities felt very typical and expected of Fujimoto, the expressions of the characters were quite stiff, the story telling was clunky, the pacing was fast obviously because it's a one shot but it left me wondering "when will this get better?". Near the end felt very pointless because none of the pages had a punch, I understand it was going for a somber story but it was just overly cliche to me. I tried going into the one shot with an open mind because I love stories about making art but maybe the story trending online set up expectations anyway.
Maybe someone here will feel similarly, or maybe not
>>
File: 10final.png (350 KB, 915x650)
350 KB
350 KB PNG
>>5520182
pencil of entire page

>>5519886
I'm in a similar boat as >>5520254. it's a fine one shot but def his weakest. it was 140 pages but it didn't feel like much happened. the character dying to unexpected circumstances, while a shocking moment, feels unexpected for the wrong reasons. I feel like going the path of a suicide or even having her actually plagiarize would have been a better route. it feels like the theme of art being something that drives people down bad paths gets lost.

I feel like stories like My Broken Maruko does a better job at a story about losing a friend, and something like Asanos Downfall does a better job at depicting an artist dealing with the mindset of being a creator.
>>
>>5520254
it's not a one shot for the sake of a series, I dont think it's meant to be anything high bar, but rather Fujimoto is just trying to vent his thoughts in manga form.
>>
>>5520343
>but rather Fujimoto is just trying to vent his thoughts in manga form.
it is, it's basically a message to kyoani fire. This was more of a personal thing than it is for entertainment.
>>
>>5520343
>>5520348
I get that, but it was boring and lacked emotion, I say this as someone who cried seeing the news of that arson attack.
It also felt like a self insert story but I don't know much about Fujimoto compared to other people. I'm left wondering why people are crying and calling it kino is all. I did find a better manga to read with a similar vibe in the process
>>
>>5520369
>self insert
in all honest, same
>kino
avoid /a/ shitposters and meme ritual, I try to not let these people influent me.
there is actually a subgenre for this kind of thing in manga, and it's quite popular at the moment. I forgot the what it was called but twitter and pixiv contribute a lot of autobiography and biography manga about hardship/happiness of life.
>>
>>5520254
>>5520265
i had a fight with my best friend of 10 years and we haven't spoken in 4 years. That's the part that hit me the most.
>>
>>5520390
/a/ isnt the only place, lately it feels like the following of CSM is universal due to its popularity, so with the dropping of this, the praise was inevitable I suppose. I saw good criticism on /a/ at least
>>>/a/225709408
>>
>>5519886
I think Fujimoto is massively overrated. He’s good, but he’s not that good. The one shot felt a bit pretentious for something that wasn’t that stellar of a story.
>>
>>5519886
I find myself more and more impressed when i find more stuff about it after reading it, specially since "lookback" means like 5 different things throught the oneshot. I'll read it tomorrow again with a fresh mindemset and i think its one of those things that you have to read it two times to really get it.
>>
>>5520369
>I say this as someone who cried seeing the news of that arson attack.
Why? You don't know those people not did you really care about them nor the company itself.
>>
>>5519886
Speadrread it didn't care and it should have been shorter.
It was a small allegory to the kyo ani arson, also the artist either browses this place or 5ch.
>>
>>5520690
He likely does browse 5ch, but what makes you say that?
>>
>>5520695
Say what?
>>
>>5520695
5ch is the nip version of 4ch right?
>>
>>5520724
You didn't know? It's owned by the same guy who owns 8kun
>>
File: lb.png (483 KB, 737x902)
483 KB
483 KB PNG
>>5519886
The feeling that you get when someone compliments your work, when they say it touched them in some way, when they want to read more of your work and they mean it is something that cannot be compared, is something that stays with you and drives you. It's something that can not be described with a phrase, or with some words. It is something that can at best tried be described with pictures, and Fujimoto uses exactly this to describe it, using manga exactly for what it was made, for things that can't be described in words. The loneliness, the effort, it all pays back in just that moment with a few words, with some giggles, or just a smile.

This oneshot i feel is not something to be read as an interesting story. It works more as a tool, a glimpse to look at the illusion of a reality where the events of the Kyoani tragedy didn't happen, and just for a second take away that feeling of frustration of being only able to look back at the past and not being able to do anything about it. A feeling that is shared among many people, specially Japanese people. It allows the reader to feel the relief that justice was made, that the tragedy was prevented and the victims are ok today just going at their jobs. In the same way a special one could come back to you to say hi for a moment, those pages are just a brief moment to see a reality where something so unfair never happened.

But at the end is just that, an illusion. The only thing we can do is move on and keep moving forward with our lives. It's best to not look back in anger, use the tools we have to move on or express those feelings that are inside us. In the same way he has done through this oneshot.

I might be sucking the mans dick or whatever. But this feels as something special. It illustrates the road you have to take to pursue a passion and it is the example of how something so simple can be used to resonate with masses that you will never know personally, but share the same feeling.
>>
>>5520733
>>5520664
It’s pretentious posts like these why I have a rather sour opinion of Fujimoto despite generally liking his work. People go way too deep on someone who really isn’t that spectacular compared to a lot of his contemporaries.
>>
>>5520745
I'd say the pretentious one is you, talking down to people who find some meaning in something you may not, and who apparently also bases their like/dislike of something over other people's opinions of that thing, which just seems weird and hipster-ish.

Also, you seem to have totally missed one of the biggest messages in it, in that while some people may derive almost nothing from a creative work, it may move someone else in a much more personal way.
>>
File: f88.jpg (14 KB, 233x204)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>5521326
not him but here's the thing; if it wasn't for fujimoto's brand being slapped on this one shot, would you have given it as deep of an interpretation as you did? if yes, then it's nice to have people like you exist as useful idiots when pure garbage is put on a pedestal and you can find beauty in it somehow. honestly uplifting, because it gives hope to the people on this board and any bottom tier artist to have their work be loved from somewhere even if they think it's shit. if not, then this is why people hate pretentiousness and over-analyzing shit like this; it shows a lack of genuine understanding of the presented material and the craft, like soigoys who gape their mouths over the newest apple product that was hashed out from china to make a quick buck off of the gullible with no other real hobbies.

pic related, is this deep?
>>
>>5520685
You're assuming I didnt care about the company when I did. I loved Kyoani for the work that they've made over the years and it was a truly terrible thing that happened to them. That's why I cried
>>
>>5521380
Where did I give it a "deep interpretation?" The only thing I did was point out how the other guy literally missed a surface-level message, and there's simply no denying that was a message. I'm not even here to pretend its the most profound shit ever, I'm just saying its not up to you to dictate what other people get out of it. You're not the guy who decides that.
>>
>>5521326
>pretentious
> attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed.

Please understand meanings. The attitude fanboys take toward Fuji’s work is the DEFINITION of pretentious.

The irony is, I like Fuji’s work. He’s one of my favorite mangaka, and an inspiration to me creatively. However, I hate hate hate his fanbase and the attitude they take toward his work. Dicksucking him constantly as if he were some creative god. He’s good, but he’s also very flawed. His panelling and cinematography are top notch, and he should be studied for that reason alone. His writing however leaves a lot to be desired. Primarily in regard to his handling of theme. I’ve read all his work, all of his one shots, FP, and CSM. And I could write literal essays breaking them down structurally. Where they succeed, where they fail, etc…

This is why thus rubs me the wrong way, because Fuji tries really hard to be deeper than he seems capable of. Yet the shallow nature of his work making it accessible, combined with his constant attempts at being deeper, and more insightful, seems to draw a crowd of really pretentious midwits who utilize his work to identify themselves as “intellectuals,” and it’s really irritating. The kind of hipsters who refer to anime as “art” when making a videoessay.

The deal is, as creatives, we’re all striving to get better. At art, at story, etc… and in that process, we not only study storycraft, but we also read, A LOT. Watch a lot of films too. We take in tons of stories that fall well outside our comfort zone. Literature, short stories, manga, screenplays, etc… in that process, we run into truly brilliant works of storytelling. Genuinely amazing stuff. Stuff Fuji doesn’t even begin to hold a candle to. Even in manga, and seeing him get praised as some creative genius for rather mediocre and very flawed work “a masterpiece” is genuinely frustrating.
>>
File: gdfsgdgfdg.png (633 KB, 1231x869)
633 KB
633 KB PNG
>>5520265
Done
>>
While I too think people are overblowing their praise over Fuji's latest work, I think it's ok for them to be that way because after all they are the proof that the core message made it to most people. Manga is communication, if the reader is able to grasp the heart of it, then the author has done their part. What ever the reader do with the message is up to them.

I will agree that most people worship idols for their success, but not the content of their work. There are faithful fans and there are loyal fans, one that do a lot of research about their favorite author, one that simply just like what the author do. I think if you genuinely do like the author's work, there is no shame to express how they have influenced you. After all, the character in Fuji's manga loved the other girl's work out of pure admiration, she wasn't thinking about story deep for the sake of deep, it was simply because it resonate with her more. Sorry I'm just humbling my thoughts.
>>
>>5521486
mumbling*
>>
>>5507838
made in abyss dude started in his mid 30's. he was a gamedev illustrator b4 a mangaka, in his mid 20's. he wrote his first dojinshi at 32 in 2011 and a year later got picked up to have made in abyss serialized, dudes like 45 now. not only is this his first manga it has kino art in a very unique style as if everything is inked with brushes and the paper looks like canvas all while being completely digital. The story/world/characters are extremely fleshed out and have been from the start, which is something very rare for mangaka. Dude tackles his manga like a video game he created a massive world with a "bible". thus even with editorial meddling MIA wont/cant have any oh my super 9 quirk gear fruits friendship god moments. the plot/story even ending have already been written/conceptualized. Yes it has filler an extends chapters sure, but odds are he only intended MIA to last 3-5 years. Instead it became insanely popular got an amazing anime. This is like after like 4 years the manga being around 35ish chapters. It got a movie with a bigger budget later on and after it ended the manga was only 12ish chapters ahead. This is just unheard of dude is an absolute degen perv alpha old fucking grandpa. old man created a manga as a passion project(all while inserting everyone of his degen fetishes and then some with no shame/insecurities only exhibiting high test&fine art like the true perverted king Ojisan he is) after getting sick of Conami this became is his passion project and then magnum opus in life. He does most the work but does have a part time slave. also the fact dude has legit medical problems now cuz of living like shit/treating his body poorly for 40 years that sitting for hours to draw is not only painful but also fucking his body up more.

Akihito TsukushiI is a fucking legend! A GOD fuck dude is an inspiration for every artist that isn't a zoomer chasing trends
age is meaningless passion,determination and soul creates Talent&Success never give up
>>
>>5521932
good taste, i don't care for his fetishes but made in abyss is one of my favorite manga to read.

to be honest, i don't think there's a manga that i've read that i liked whose author is aged under 30. story telling takes some world experience too. fukumoto's best stuff didn't come around til his 30s; legend of the strongest man kurosawa is excellent and my favorite story of his by far and it came out in 2015. dude is like in his 60s. stories like this will stick with me for the rest of my life while whatever is the new naruto will come and go and be rehashed and milked until you're tired of seeing it.

anyways, basically just write and draw a good story for a lasting impact.
>>
>>5521380
so do you get upset when people enjoy things the way "they're not supposed to"?
>>
>>5521380
I found it meaningful personally and I've never read a single thing Fujimoto's ever published until now. Why does this upset you so much?
>>
>>5521451
>we run into truly brilliant works of storytelling. Genuinely amazing stuff.
Got any favorites you're willing to share?
I always like to hear what other people really enjoy
>>
>>5521961
i get upset the same way you would get upset when people call the fried pink haired hambeasts brave, powerful, and stunning.

this is why a toilet with some faggot's signature is considered art and video games play more like D-list movies than games. it's fine if you enjoy it but don't act like it's a poetic masterpiece by your personal bias or some idiot who can't make his own opinions might take you seriously and it becomes the new standard. i honestly hate fujimoto's pacing and garbage dialogue, he has a lot of problems with storytelling. some anon said it right how he's trying to push "hollywood movies as a manga" as a thing. holy fucking hell, please no. i read manga to escape that jewish bullshit.
>>
>>5522000
>this is why a toilet with some faggot's signature is considered art and video games play more like D-list movies than games.
I feel like you're just outing yourself as being unable to examine art in historical and cultural contexts.
>>
File: 1546463091507.png (279 KB, 1419x1381)
279 KB
279 KB PNG
I can't draw bikes to save myself, I hope reader dont care if the bike looks too scribbly.
>>
>>5522004
yeah because no one takes warhol, hirst and cryptopunks seriously right? you'd be lying or extremely naive to think there aren't clueless people out there unironically putting these shit up on a pedestal trying to convince the world that their taste is good and that it's art/masterpieces. it's half-baked opinions like these that gets the idiot masses to think shit smells like perfume and telling the people who view it objectively that they're the idiots. it's how this world got to its clown world state in the first place.

unironically read more manga if fujimoto is your standard. shit might be fine if you're 16, but you need to be 18+ to browse here.
>>
>>5522000
>the same way you would get upset when people call the fried pink haired hambeasts brave, powerful, and stunning.

i don't. At worst i do a smirk and move on with my life.
>>
File: Eb8khs_XQAARG50.jpg (157 KB, 1080x1080)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>5507838
I believe she debut as a mangaka at her 20s but because of several failures and life set back from terminal family problems she didn't really make it until she was in her 30s or something.
She's also famous for that auto biography that she used to reflect on her life failures.
>>
File: Checked.gif (1.78 MB, 300x242)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB GIF
>>5522000
>get upset when people call the fried pink haired hambeasts brave, powerful, and stunning.
>a toilet with some faggot's signature is considered art
>don't act like it's a poetic masterpiece
Those fuckin' digits don't lie tho', based asf, and big fuckin' kek.
>>
>>5522015
>yeah because no one takes warhol, hirst and cryptopunks seriously right? you'd be lying or extremely naive to think there aren't clueless people out there unironically putting these shit up on a pedestal trying to convince the world that their taste is good and that it's art/masterpieces. it's half-baked opinions like these that gets the idiot masses to think shit smells like perfume and telling the people who view it objectively that they're the idiots. it's how this world got to its clown world state in the first place.
The fact that you've somehow misinterpreted my advocation that we *should* take such things seriously as...whatever this rant is about, I'm going to say that I've been proven right and move on.
>>
I'm having trouble continuing to push. Living situation at home isn't the best and I keep seeing other people get sustaining art jobs except for me. I keep wondering if I should quit and do something else or if I should give up on getting a publisher. Anyone have some inspiration fuel or just some kind words?
>>
>>5522008
use a 3d model maybe? no shame on doing that desu...
>>
File: nevergiveup..-1024x704.jpg (104 KB, 1024x704)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>5522153
>>
>>5519886
I liked it. Got a little abstract towards the end but overall bretty good.
>>
>>5521957
>dude is like in his 60s.
ye Rumiko Takahashi too aged like fine wine. out of her whole 40+ year career only one of her works was a dumpster fire. hilariously weekly shōnen sunday would not axe it even tho it sold like shit also did not get an anime(a first). it was shit but because shes fucking Rumiko Takahashi they just let her do her thing for 7 whole years topkek 7 seven S E V E N YEARS. They allowed her to take 16-24 pages a weekly for generally the worst selling manga that ran for those years. she is the queen after all to took a 2 year break and started on her latest title (not)inuyasha in the showa and modern era. It's not kino but its charming takes the best of inuyasha and a dash of her other works blended together. Mao is sadly not selling all that hot it just reached 100 chapters tho so I imagine an anime is in the works which will boost sales/viewership its legit better than inuyasha inb4 thats not saying much

starts off with an ultra crazy balls to the walls random title smash hit literal fucking icon for japan and anime I think Urusei Yatsura got awarded something like national treasure by the emperor too. Second title comfy slice of life with no fiction. In her 30's now bangs out Ranma 1/2 yet another instant smash hit over the top but also gets serious shes starting to age and kinda mello out. early 40's gives the world inuyasha a love story fiction and modern "historical" and cultural themed fighten magic BEES furries simping over a claypot-corpse family legacy,problems,titles and expectations ends with a modern girl giving up everything to live in the past who needs technology when you have true love(an big phat dog knots) 50ish years old the wine is aged to perfection. >someone forgot to store the wine properly nearly ruined it all. 60's now fine vintage Mao is a mix of everything goes down smooth refreshing yet nostalgic enjoy till the barrel is empty retire die soon after immortalized as an artists goddess empress for eternity
>>
>>5522163
Namo Amida Butsu...
>>
>>5521932
>age is meaningless
How is it meaningless? There’s a big difference between a long time illustrator who makes manga in the free time that just happens to get published in their 30s and a 27 year old westerner who doesn’t even speak the language and is a beginner level artist.
>>
>>5522665
Not them, but the point is that using accomplishments relative to age as a universal measurement as to how much success you should have at a specific point in life doesn't make any sense when there are vast situational differences between people. Someone who could skip school to stay home and draw all day is going to be more advanced in drawing than someone whose parents didn't want them to do that, and someone who decided that they wanted to learn how to make comics or manga later on in life is going to be on a necessarily different learning and career path than someone who's known that's what they've wanted to do since middle school. It also varies from country to country; in Japan, where there are high-school contests for manga all the time, there's more of an infrastructure for younger artists to hone their crafts. In the US, where comics are just Whatever, that same infrastructure is nonexistent.

You can't say "damn it, I'm so far behind, I should have had one-shots published by the time I was 18" when the infrastructure to have those one-shots published were nowhere near as widespread in your country when you were that age, and you didn't think you were going to want to make comics back then anyway.
>>
>>5522665
Comparison is the thief of joy. The only thing you accomplish by saying
>THERE'S NOBODY THAT STARTED THIS LATE AND ACCOMPLISHED X
Is making sure you won't be the first.
>>
>>5522163
Thank you for this anon. I appreciate it a lot.

>>5522727
This is oddly inspirational as well. I'm reminded of the jokes people make about disabled / handicapped people just playing life on Nightmare Difficulty. Honestly, it's kind of an interesting way of looking at it. If you decided you wanted to make comics late and you're in a country where that's not a sustainable path, I guess you're playing on Nightmare Mode. The challenge isn't going away anytime soon, so you might as well embrace it.
>>
>>5506297
Shonen Jump will never hire an american
>>
>>5506740
pure unfiltered talent smells like sweaty men and calpis
>>
>>5522835
i dont care about being hired by anyone
>>
>>5507682
my man has cancer and will never openly say it.
all this sounds like the hell my grandpa suffered before he died of cancer, it was a short torture of just 3 months but it fits the description of Togashi's condition
>>
File: sadd.jpg (81 KB, 885x500)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>5522852
please. say it aint so
>>
>>5521451
Who cares? I get what you're saying, and I agree there are definitely writers out there I like more than Fujiimoto, but really how does it affect you or art as a whole if people think or talk this way? It just means they're getting into it, and I think we all know how it feels to really engross yourselves in something. It's just we get invested in different things that resonate with us. Some things have wider appeal, others don't. Sure, you could scoff at them for not reading stuff like the sailor who fell from grace or not watching things like Yi Yi, but ultimately that would just be a means of stroking my own ego and feeling superior for no real reason other than to feel like "i'm different and more special than others," and that the time I've spent reading or watching this stuff was worthwhile. And even just stating Yang and Mishima, someone else who has "deeper knowledge and taste" will ridicule me for that to feel better about themselves. I think people just enjoy, what they enjoy. Why get bet out of shape about it and make it a sport?
>>
>>5521451
>cinematography
lmao
>>
>>5507838
Creator of Usogui started learning at 28 and had his debut at 32. Age really is meaningless.
>>
>>5522908
I’ll break down a typical interaction with Fuji fans:

I actually don’t think FP is all that great a story, the characters are flat, and it’s a plot driven narrative trying to be character driven, but fucking up hard on the character desire and themes.
>filtered!
>you just didn’t get it
>there’s nothing wrong with the pacing, you just got filtered
But there’s a fundamental issue with the pacing of the first 40 chapters, I read it all, but many people quit before the ch.40 mark. If they say they find it boring it’s cause they’re not engaging with the characters and it would be better if he…
>FILTERED
>FP is kino
>you just don’t understand, this isn’t a story about the plot, it’s an emotional experience, like high art
Can you tell me what the core moral conflict of FP is?
>…..
>it’s KINO
Repeat ad infinity with lots of name calling. It’s a group of people who attribute all sorts of grand traits to rather mediocre work and take any negative opinions of it personally and place the blame on the other person “not getting it.” I got FP perfectly mind you, I just didn’t like it. And objective discussion on the matter is impossible, especially if it’s critical. If I had a dime for every time “Death of the Author” was used as an excuse to avoid any objective look at the work (something anyone interested in learning how to storytell should be doing).

My dislike for them is cause of how obnoxious, they are. I wouldn’t be voicing my discontent for them if they were harmless, as you’re trying to portray them.
>>
>>5523170
Taking shitposters seriously aside, I thought FP was just alright on the first read through. The second is where it clicked with me and became one of my favorites. If I would list one uncontestable strength, it would be that it's a very tightly paced/written experience. Every, or at least almost every, scene has importance in the story/theme, and every volume has at least a couple of very memorable scenes. This becomes evident when you know where the story's going and can better appreciate it on a macro-scale and a micro-scale, as in a re-read.
>>
>>5523207
Sure, but my issue was never with “getting it” I understood the themes of the story perfectly well, and since I read it all in the span of a couple days, I was able to reflect on the work as a whole as the beginning was still fresh in mind.

Rereading it doesn’t solve the sluggish and aimless pacing of the first half, it doesn’t make the presentation of the themes not clunky as fuck, it doesn’t make the character writing less cardboardy, with many characters acting a certain way because the plot needs them to. I can go on. My criticisms of FP fall outside of “getting it” or my personal experience with it. They’re more fundamental, structural things, things that CSM fixes largely, so it’s clearly an improvement, and they’re things that hold it back from ever being a masterpiece. Fans of it, brushing people aside who drop it in the first half cause “it’s too boring” and saying they “got filtered” is dismissing a very real problem with how they story is written. And therein lies my issue, their pretention prevents any real, critical discussion of the story, both merits and flaws, and it’s why I hold so much contempt for them. Because they’re just ignorant kids acting high and mighty despite clearly having a very limited range of experiences. I used to really like Kojima in my teens, thought MGS2 was a masterpiece, till I eventually read all the stuff it ripped off from, and learned that storytelling isn’t blatantly spilling a philosophical lecture onto your dialogue. Then I didn’t. It’s the same with Fuji. The themes he covers aren’t exactly original, and he’s not only mor bringing anything new to the table with them, but he also doesn’t bother to explore them deeply through the narrative either. People who find it insightful should really read more stuff. But if they don’t want to, that’s fine. That said, they’ve got no room to patronize me because believe me, I understood FP far better than they did.
>>
>>5523212
Anon, what is the point of discussing this when you've already decided not to like it?
Like I said, it became a lot better on a reread for me, and that includes the "aimlessness" you say, but when you've already decided that you don't like it then there's nothing I or anyone can say that will allow you to appreciate the work for what it is.
And it has nothing to do with "getting it", or personally connecting with it (I personally don't really personally connect with any of the characters except maybe Doma), I'm talking just from the perspective of a creator who analyses and appreciates the execution of the work from the perspective of a creator.

I don't understand why you give a shit what random retards spam on /a/, either. Look at things objectively instead of through the lens of the internet.
>>
File: 2021-07-20 ver 2 rsz.jpg (3.66 MB, 1358x1920)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB JPG
Bump limit but fuck it - look I made a cover for my oneshot!
>>
File: thumbsup.png (60 KB, 241x322)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
>>5523255
Looking nice bro. I like your style, especially your inks. Very energetic, manages to avoid the sterility a lot of digital inking has. Nice that your color has that same quality.
>>
Some of you guys sound really committed. How did you determine that drawing manga was something you wanted to put a lot into? Have you ever questioned it?
>>
>>5523255
I really like it!

>>5523219
>I personally don't really personally connect with any of the characters except maybe Doma
But that’s kinda the issue. Your audience should relate to at the very least, the main character. And by this I mean they should be able to at the very least understand where they’re coming from. Agni is a totally unrelatable and inhuman character in how he acts, and before you it’s not necessary, consider Joker, a monumental success for what it was, and it succeeded at getting the audience to not just thoroughly empathize with, but even root for a morally objectionable psychotic killer. That’s about as detatched as you can get from the normal human experience, but the Joker was humanized to such a degree, te audience understood him and what he wanted, completely.

Keeping that in mind, you can’t look over at FP and say that the execution and character writing couldn’t have been significantly better. This is what I meant earlier by, you “run into some truly brilliantly written stories, yet people dicksuck Fuji as if his work is even on the same level of nuance and masterful execution.” And Joker is still on the more mainstream side of things. But this is what I mean, a GOOD story doesn’t gatekeep itself by inaccesible to people through sluggish pacing or clunky character writing. A good story is able to tackle really complex themes and relate them to an audience emotionally so they can fully understand it without giving it much thought. To me that’s where the hallmark really stands, and where I disagree with the hipsters. Leave the pretention aside, if the “idiot masses” don’t “get it” then you’ve failed as a writer and can do much better.

And that’s leaving aside the fact that the themes in FP aren’t particularly complex to begin with, and aren’t exactly explored throughly, especially when compared to something like say, Joker, for example.
>>
>>5523343
Not sure, but I think it began with a girl I used to know.
>>
>>5523352
Go on.
>>
>>5523375
I used to talk to this girl I met in a videogame forum a lot in my early 20s. We both had a lot of personal issues, me with my abusive father, and all the trouble he caused at home, and her life was a living hell cause she had bipolar disorder. We bonded a lot as we talked, and often gave each other life advice and supported each other. Somehow or another, she kinda pushed me to pursue art as more than a passion. I was feeling rather aimless and unmotivated at that time in my life, but through her, I rediscovered that joy. She also enjoyed writing a lot, I actually motivated her to pursue a career in journalism since she had that same feeling of aimlessness. She actually works as a music journalist in her local scene now. Anyway, the drawing grew toward storytelling, through our talks and stuff, and I remember I began building this story out of this idea we’d thought of together, she constantly helped to pitch ideas for it and stuff.

Anyway, fast forward and stuff, and you don’t become that emotionally intimate with someone without feelings developing, and that put a massive strain on our friendship. Neither of us took the dive either toward becoming more than friends due to the massive distance, even though we talked like every day, and would videochat from time to time. So things become difficult and they eventually crash really hard. And we drift apart entirely, cutting off all contact. For the best too, since what was once positive started to become very resentful. Like that porcupine metaphor in EVA. Because you’ve been wounded you start to put up spikes that hurt the other person, and it’s doubly bad when you’re both damaged individuals doing this to each other. We both ultimately admitted that had we not been geographically apart however, we very likely would have started dating, but ultimately leave it at that and go our separate ways.
>>
cont…
Always, I always valued what she brought to my life, despite how it ended. She helped me out of a really dark place, and she always said I did the same for her. But she also pushed me to pursue what would make me happy in life. It’s what she would always say to me. To worry less about the far off future and learn to be happy right now. What I’m doing now in life, began with our lengthy messages and that private thread we had where we would shoot ideas back and forth on this (really terrible) story. But she’s like my muse in a way, I’ve always really appreciated her. I designed a character after her at some point (she was also very attractive, in that sorta alternative “cool” girl sorta way, she had a very cute face, and had really unique and stylish hair, tiny petite body, etc…). Sometimes when I read about people with bipolar committing suicide and stuff, I’m hit with this strong sense of empathy, and am reminded of what a living hell a life like that really is and hope she’s doing well, but I’ve no way of contacting her anymore, so… I don’t think she checks her old email from way back when anymore.

But yeah, where it all began, I’ve been drawing all my life, and as a kid I won a storytelling award in elementary school. But my father always discouraged me from pursuing this as a career, like, strongly, and it wasn’t until she came along that I broke that mental barrier and took the dive. For that, I’ll never forget her.
>>
please excuse my extreme noob question, how do I erase the frame particular in these spots?
I dont know how to convert the frame layer to a normal layer. I'm new to digital so I'm having so much trouble.
>>
>>5524052
forgot image
>>
>>5524052
>>5524054
you have to move the drawing layer to above the frame layers, then paint white underneath
>>
New thread

>>5524162
>>5524162
>>5524162
>>5524162
>>5524162

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.