[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 17 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is it worth going through all the Vilppu courses, studying all the bones and muscles from Goldifinger, Proko and Rey Bustos, and going through Marshall and Scott Robertson Perspective?

Or you can just make a living with basic construction and digital painting skills.

I know an artist who pretty much got all what he knows from Mikeymegamega tutorials (no anatomy, no gesture or in depth color theory, only seems to follow Mikeymegamega and self taught clipstudio paint judging from his DA and Twitter comments) , and he still makes a living from his patreon and comissions, some of which pay a 50$ subscription, and got people seem to think his art is same level as videogames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i4rEnAIUqs

Still his art doesn't 100% convince me, I don't know if it's anatomy issue or the fact that convincing anine style seems to be pretty hard to avhieve.

I wanted to hear some thoughts if it's really that good, or some examples of when's considered good pretty good aready and how much does it take.
>>
Colors might have a pass, but everything from faces, to hands, muscles and even clothes look cheap as fuck
>>
Those cartoony shoes and mouths
>>
>>5523314
>his art is same level as videogames
Did you forget to post his work?
Nothing than amateur drawing and poor youtube content with a ridiculous 3D avatar here.
>>
>>5523423
That youtuber seems quie popular, and she was like "wow, some badass art" that's something I don't understand, his work is the pic on the thread, the start of that video, and you can follow more here or on DA:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/49699588
>>
>>5523314
Well there’s two answers.
The first is that, if you have any interest in art at all, even if you’re just a fan and not a creator, then you should know at a glance what pro level art looks like and what amateur art looks like. It’s pretty obvious. It doesn’t require a lot of education or in depth anatomy or perspective knowledge etc. You know when something looks right and when it doesn’t.
The second answer is, “you’re good enough when you can get people to start paying you”. The OP image looks pretty crap to me, but apparently people still pay him for it. So I guess he’s “good enough” by that standard.
>>
>>5523460
And the correct way to avoid getting stuck at that level?

The conclusion I got is Mikey tutorials are not close enough to become proficient at anime and you need some anatomy knowledge, but that might be just because the OP image didn't get the full idea of Nikey tutorials rather than them not being enough, not sure if it's because he didn't study enough or because he didn't do good use of what he studied.
>>
he has fun with his pencil, but doesn't feel the flow.
>>
>>5523444
The work is amateur.
Thankfully youtubers don't rule the world, but they are surely friend, it explains reaction. Yt is made of that.
>>
>>5523549
why is it amateur, or what do you suggest it's missing to improve and what's a good resource to practise that skill?
>>
>>5523314
15-20$/h + teacher
>>
>>5523602
>15-20$/h
you mean he should charge 15-20$ each hour he works on a comission or what's that? considering how much time it takes to do a full pic, I don't think he's charging that much if that's what you said.
>>
>>5523602
> teacher

Most art schools and art teachers I've seen around are crap that are way below the stuff that you'll learn just from looking at some Sycra an Proko, is there any good place that offers decent art teachers but doesn't rip you off like CGMA 800$ a course?
>>
>>5523670
>Sycra/Proko/Sinix/Sakimichan
They are good, but here it turns to obssession: mass effect?

>Is there any good place that offers decent art teachers but doesn't rip you off like CGMA 800$ a course?
Many freelancers are also teachers
20-25 art students can teach
You can also find some good painters in your town/city

There are many alternatives for decent price, i'm a little bit advanced for taking course (I also taught), but if i had money i would spend it for that service:
https://www.youtube.com/user/izzymedrano

If you have money pay someone, 200$/trimester is reasonable (it depends on the place).
If you are POOR, .pdf and 4chan stuff is fine.

Anyway when you draw like op pic any teacher is fine.
It reminds me that I started music with a 30$ instrument and a random teacher from my small town...
>>
>>5523761
>Anyway when you draw like op pic any teacher is fine.
Meaning it's so low quaity thay any art teacher would improve that pic?
>>
>>5523811
Yes.
Now let your thread die.
>>
>>5523927
it's not my thread, just asking, because this seemed an interesting one talking about what resources do, what's a bad idea, and how to progress when stuck on a certain level and not progressing in your art.
>>
Did anyone in fact learned from Mikeymegamega and actually managed to do really good coom art?
>>
>>5523314
>I know an artist
there you go then, that's all the proof you need, now kindly fuck off
>>
>>5524281

dafuq's that supposedto mean?. the artist is from tht pic, and this thread was about asking if that's really people standard of "good artist" and I'm too picky, or everyone ekse also thought it was below average and not really enpugh to make a living from, and asking if the answer to improve beyond that level is using all those reources I listed and some others that 4chan usually recommends.
>>
>>5524374
well his work is pretty bad, the folds looks like when a child start to draw clothes and the faces are horrible, but colors are ok, like the other anon said, it's good enough when someone pays you/when you reached a level of an artist that you admire/ when you are satisfied with yourself. So art is subjective to a certain point, but his art put in comparison with the industry standard is amateurish
>>
>>5524456
that seems to be the issue with western doing anime faces, no one seems to get it right. The closest I've seen for anime faces doing western are Mikey and Reiq and still could use some adjustment here and there.

Anyone knows a good place to learn anime faces?maybe japanese with eng sub realistic faces like Huston or Vilppu don't seem like will teach do an appealiun anime look , they are totally different.

As for clothes, do you really need to learn the 7 types of folds that Bridgman teaches? anime clothes also don't really look like real life at all, but I haven't found a single convincing explanation on anime clothes
>>
>>5523314
Draw big tits.
>>
>>5525430
pretty much the only thing he does
>>
File: Illustration.png (302 KB, 5188x1662)
302 KB
302 KB PNG
>>5525183

Gay as fuck but https://warosu.org/ic/thread/S3815641

also >>5525430

and anime eyes are just the あ character with the second stroke removed
>>
>>5523314
up your standards brother, look up some good art and put it side to side, its clear as day.
>>
>>5525183
anime clothes are just a slightly simplified version of real life, with some exaggerated features in some cases
>>
You stupid monkey. He makes 400 euro, that’s not enough to live off your art at all, you would need to make at LEAST 5 times that to put some food on the table. Also, his art is so shit that not even coomers would consider it with regard, the only reason why he makes some money at all, is because the cringe YouTube persona he created for himself where he seems to be pandering to gullible 13 yo faggots and adults anime fans trannies. So to answer your question, his art is so terrible that he can’t even make a few hundred bucks per month without relying on a entire YouTube channel built to promote himself. And why does he sound like a faggot?
>>
>>5526016
>using math and geometry to draw an eye
just draw の desu
theres a reason why joke faces are like

の の

ノ6016
>using math and geometry to draw an eye
just draw の desu
theres a reason why joke faces are like

の の

>>
>>5526876
> He makes 400 euro

He seems to be an American artist as far as I know since his patreon tiers and comissions are in dollars, why you say euros?

>the only reason why he makes some money at all, is because the cringe YouTube persona he created for himself where he seems to be pandering to gullible 13 yo faggots and adults anime fans trannies.

Dafuq you talking about, that artist doesn't seem to have a youtube channel, or at least no one that he mentions on his social media.

Are you just a troll or you're confusing something?
>>
why art standards seem so old this days?

Remember those old pulp magazines with those illustrated realitic covers? that was average artists work that was worth penies, now one of those would be a super pro art teacher nowadays, quality of artists really decreased.

If only we could bring Loomis and Hogarth back to life.
>>
>>5523761
Izzy Medrano is based as fuck.
I'm thinking about asking him for a mentorship sometime soon, but my drawing skills still need improvement.
>>
Mikey himself says he isn't covering an entire art school program with anatomy and Perspective on his tutorials, and this guy is pretty much the vivid example of what he means.
>>
>>5527884
You mean guys like Glen Orbik?
>>
>>5529205
>Glen Orbik
I mean pulp magazines in general, this thing were worth pennies, and this was your average artist.
>>
File: 1610251039454.jpg (27 KB, 389x389)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>5523314
>guy makes money drawing like a fifth grader.
Whoa, I guess you really do just have to be consistent to make it.
>>
I wanna do coom art, but I don't want to end drawing like this guy, will grandpa Vilppu really save me from this fate? or where else would you learn the proper path to do juicy coom rt?
>>
>>5529858
Anyoe who teaches you the bare minimum anatomy will make you better than this shit.
>>
>>5529858
https://youtu.be/aOtVUHgJqQk
>>
>>5528249
Pyw + weaknesses/strengths
i quickly guide you before you chose a personal teacher
>>
>>5528249
Nah. I'm not gonna take the advice of someone who can't even string together a proper sentence.
>>
>>5530886
Too bad, good night.
>>
>>5530696
are those gestures going to turn intojuicy aime girls someday?
>>
>>5531095
>Post Bridgman heads
Ngmi
>>
File: file.png (102 KB, 301x274)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
>>5531102
it wasn't hard to figure out that you have room temperature IQ
>>
>>5531104
Man couldn't draw a face to save his life. Kek
>>
File: file.png (119 KB, 261x493)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
>>5531106
Man was on another astral plane of GMI while your grandma was fucking her brother
>>
>>5523314
>>5523444
>>5523572
his work is shit and your judgement is poor

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.