[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 44 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 10135417.jpg (79 KB, 300x475)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
The general thread for Manga / manga-styled comic-making and Manga-style illustration.

Support each other and talk about your work or the work of others that excites you. Inking, character design, paneling / layout, writing, planning, and other discussions are all welcome.

Post resources, questions, in-progress pages, breakdowns of other works, etc. If a work is not yours, credit the maker (unless it's fucking obvious like a full page of One Piece or something).

Thanks to everyone for making /mmg/ a level-headed and helpful place. Remember, drawing and making comics and manga are difficult endeavors, and we're all in this struggle together.

Previous thread: >>5506297

Some resources:

/asg/, our stylistic sister-thread series >>>/ic/asg
Webcomic General >>>/ic/webcomic

Books:
Understanding Comics

Making Comics

Manga in Theory and Practice: The Craft of Creating Manga
https://mega.nz/folder/Dd4hnZTC#EjMIcTDPLbWXkAJLPHx2Kg

Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting
https://archive.org/details/RobertMcKeeStorypdf/

2000AD Script Book
https://mega.nz/file/gtNQgY6L#p7vPA_fLOUwxINMBzAX62w_xx282FVQoMhUHDGtiCpE

Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga
https://kupdf.net/download/even-a-monkey-can-draw-manga_58b9ca16e12e89233badd376_pdf

Videos:
"Manga Senpai/Tokyo Name Tank", "SMAC! THE SILENT MANGA AUDITION COMMUNITY"

Habanero Scans: https://www.dailymotion.com/HabaneroScans/videos

Full MANBEN Series link: https://mega.nz/folder/9h1mUYSJ#8sJoO57nMP_JhjnujBXkpQ

https://www.naokiurasawa.com/

Urasawa Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkIFOAoFm47XOAlJwTa6Ieg/videos
>>
Some western / indie publishers that seem to have a decent readership and are tolerant of or specifically cater to Manga:

Saturday AM ( https://www.saturday-am.com/ )
> Digital indie magazine, seems to be on the up-and-up
> Open submissions for long-form series; also distributes series currently being published elsewhere.
> Regularly publishes one-shots, making it a good potential outlet for already-finished work.

Noir Caesar ( https://www.noircaesar.com/ )
> Focuses on black (specifically African-American) content, but seems willing to publish anyone good enough.
> Seemingly series-based only.
> No "magazine" style updates; series are updated on their own schedule.
> Seems less regular than Saturday AM, but also seems larger in terms of readership.

Oni Press ( https://onipress.com/ )
> Technically indie, but at this point large enough by comic standards to be mentioned in the same breath as other publishers.

Antarctic Press ( https://antarctic-press.myshopify.com/ )
> Longtime large-indie publisher of OEL / manga-esque books.
> Seemingly taking submissions at present if http://www.antarctic-press.com/html/submissions.php is anything to go on.

Yen Press ( https://yenpress.com/ )
> Started out as a small indie publisher of original / Korean material, and has grown reasonably popular since.
> As of 2016, it is also one of the western arms of the Kadokawa Corporation's publishing apparatus, with Kadokawa owning a 51% stake.
> Editorial inquiries can apparently be sent to yenpress@yenpress.com, however, they apparently are not open to new submissions at this time.

Viz Media / Viz Originals ( https://www.viz.com/originals )
> *The* western manga publisher.
> Currently in the exploratory stages of setting up an English label.
> Submissions are open and several books have been announced. However, progress on the label seems to be moving very slowly.
> Still might be worth a shot anyway.
>>
Current contests:

KYOTO INTERNATIONAL MANGA AWARD
https://medibang.com/contest/kyoto-manga2021/
>DEADLINE: July 26th, 5PM Japan Time
>Any theme, no page count, English OK

How (You) can help /mmg/:

> Know about a contest or a publishing opportunity? TAG THE OP and post a link.
> Have a new resource? TAG THE OP and link / mention it for inclusion.
> Have a link / DL for a mentioned resource? TAG THE OP and mention what you're supplying a link for.
> SCREENSHOT / PASTEBIN effortposts that help you for posterity.
>>
File: gdfsgdgfdg.png (633 KB, 1231x869)
633 KB
633 KB PNG
page from last thread
>>
I just realized the only successful American manga artist (in Japan) is Asian and known for an edgy hentai. This is quite the uphill battle, isn’t it?
>>
>>5524630
every day I keep questioning why I learn Japanese and wonder if the webtoon scene really is as dry as I thought it was. Can people really live off webtoons?
>>
>>5524632
I have no idea but it is depressing isn’t it? There’s this guy, the South Korean who made Dr. Stone and the Brazilian who made No Game No Life (light novel) and both of them have lived in Japan since they were kids. It’s not like that means it’s impossible but it sure looks like a damn steep uphill climb to the point where I also question what the fuck I’m doing.
>>
>>5524630
>>5524632
If you wanna make manga in Japan you need:
>to live in Japan (this means uprooting your life where you are)
>to work in Japan so you can sustain yourself and have a visa (this will eat away at your time to make manga learn Japanese
>to be able to speak and read Japanese (at least N2 level), this means you gotta dedicate plenty of time to the language in addition to developing your art and writing
>to pay for a translator to that your finished work is top notch
That’s as a prerequisite, in addition, you gotta:
>develop your art skills, all the fundamentals to a competent level that allows you to clearly tell your story, as well as fostering a unique style. It doesn’t have to be the most impressive art, but it needs a minimal degree of competence
>to develop your writing skills, this entails: (reading books on story and writing frequently, and rewriting frequently, watching tons of films and thinking on them critically, reading or listening to tons of novels, and reading tons of manga (thankfully that last one overlaps with learning Japanese, unfortunately all your input cannot come from manga nor Japanese sources exclusively)
If you’re good enough, approach an editor with some work, and judge whether you’re good enough to be given a shot. The reality is that you have to stand out among your peers already, AND you have to speak Japanese and relocate to Japan, all big hurdles to overcome in their own right, moreso still when combined. And thats not even factoring in cultural barriers you gotta adapt to, as well as the insane Japanese work ethic and expectations that come with that, which you DO have to adapt to. No room to be a precious diva, or have self-pity. You try your hardest until you can no longer go forward, and then once you hit that point, you push even further and keep trying harder still, your body will adapt.

Possible? Totally. Difficult?? You’re goddamn right it is. There are easier roads if you seek a livable income.
>>
>>5524647
Alice anon? How do you do it? It seems like an insane climb…
>>
>>5523255
Nice cover anon; I'm currently working on the one for my editor pitch. It's killing me kinda.
>>
>>5524652
It’s cause I’m so bought into it at this point, I’m well past the point of no return. There are no other roads left but forward. Every failure on the way there is simply an other step closer toward that end goal. Eventually as I keep hacking away at it, I’ll eventually breach through. I see myself gradually improve in all areas as I keep pushing forward, so time is in my favor, and at 30, time is something I still have plenty of.

Burn your bridges, if you cut off your easy alternatives or side paths, then it becomes much easier to focus on the singular goal, high as that goal might be. On my end, I’d no longer be content with simply getting published, or published in Japan, or even just showing up in Jump once. I won’t stop till I make a major hit, long as that may take me. I know I’ll still fail plenty on the way there, but every failure is simply another learning experience, and over time these add up.

In other news, I finished the Alice one shot. I sent it to the editor for feedback, and I plan on entering it in this month’s Shin Sekai Award. Hopefully it wins. I should know by September. Mostly cause it’s that obstacle cleared, and the money would be good right about now.

On a personal level, I don’t really like the one shot cause it doesn’t encapsulate what Alice is about, and it’s very vanilla. But it’s got a decent emotional payoff and it’s a nice little story competently drawn. It’s kinda Disney, which is ok. It’s good, but it’s not WOW. Nothing truly special about it. Just “good.” And I know I can do better now, especially in story.

I’ll share it once I get the results around Sept.
>>
>>5524647
One thing that gives me hope, besides the proliferation of web publishing and self publishing, is the fact that it appears more common, almost normal, for mangaka to hide their identities today. There are mangaka of very popular manga whom we know nothing at all about. I think that’s better for the creator since the reality is that both Japanese audiences and Western audiences want to read manga they perceive as authentically Japanese. So the way I see it is, besides the hurdles you mentioned, you have two real opponents: 1) the publisher and 2) the reader. Being able to publish with anonymity at least overcomes the latter.
>>
>>5524665
>at 30, time is something I still have plenty of
When did you start?
> Burn your bridges, if you cut off your easy alternatives or side paths, then it becomes much easier to focus on the singular goal, high as that goal might be.
I’m at this point right now and deliberate what/if to cut.
>>
>>5524674
>is the fact that it appears more common, almost normal, for mangaka to hide their identities today
>today
This ain't a new thing, anon. I don't think it ever really hindered mangaka in the past either, lots worked under pennames. Buronson might be the most famous example because it's obviously not his real name, but it's certainly not a recent trend for creators to do so under an alias.
>>
>>5524691
Working with a pen name is different from near total anonymity, which I do believe has become more common. Mangaka have always used pen names, but we know what they look like, their backgrounds, etc. There are mangaka of very popular manga today that we don’t even know what they look like or anything about them.
>>
>>5524647
Both writing and drawing is already a war on two fronts, so I decided that learning Japanese will take away too much from me if I decide to be a mangaka. I'll just have to figure out a way to make a career out of comics in the US. My mistake is second-guessing the marketplace, because in reality, people here are still a huge comic-consuming audience, it's just that there just are not that many good comics being made in the west. The supply is low, but the demand is high. If you can write and draw well enough, I really believe you can make it, even here in the west. There are publishers. There's webtoons. It's not impossible. Tezuka revolutionized the comic industry in Japan, one of us could do the same here.
>>
You guys talk a lot about making a living off manga rather than working on manga
>>
>>5524712
You talk a lot about what other people talk about.
>>
>>5524712
If you're good at something, you never do it for free
>>
>>5524712
This, idont understand the necessity of living in japan, make manga happen on the internet, in your own country.
Advertise yourself and make patreaon. Coomer should be the least to worry about this.
>>
>>5524712
I don’t see the issue. Last thread saw plenty of discussion on storycraft, and work gets posted regularly. Even in this thread you see people posting or offering feedback on specific pages, despite only being a few hours old.

A lot of the more experienced guys already have contact with professional editors who give them regular feedback so they don’t need to post their work here for critique.
>>
>>5524712
Summerfags looking to pass time. Notice it wasnt this bad months ago.
>>
>>5524726
Sure, but don’t underestimate how hard it is to make it online as well. Manga is HARD work, and online means dedicating a lot of time and energy into marketing yourself. Finding ways to draw an ADHD audience flooded with distractions to take the time to read your story presents a unique challenge too. Plus, the benefit of pursuing professional publication is that the challenge will force you to properly develop your skills to a professional degree rather than getting stuck on your “magnum opus” that may not be that good. At the end of the day, the best way to get better at manga is to write tons of different manga. Professional publication offers an opportunity to get paid for your one shots. Whereas online, it’s hard to get an audience to care, let alone pay, for your short stories.

At the end of the day, even something like Webtoons is gonna entail a very busy schedule. If the pay is just ok, you gotta wonder if going all in on just doing it in Japan is ir isn’t a better option.

Not saying one is better than the other, but I am saying the answer isn’t so clear cut and obvious when you actually start laboring over this shit. Online isn’t a cakewalk either.
>>
>>5524630
>>5524632
>>5524646

i'm gonna sound harsh when i say this, but unless your story AND art is on par or better than japan's best selling and memorable manga, 99% of people will not give a shit about yours. it's a bias that can't be helped due to how foreigners are notoriously cringey with making their own manga to a point where it looks like racist caricatures. manga is probably one of the few things left in the world where organic word of mouth interest is where it matters most.

even the biggest weebfag will kneel if they realize your amazing manga hooked them like attack on titan did; they will also cry in burgers if they found out it happened to be made by a fellow mutt, but will be EXTREMELY critical if it turns out to be even 1% less than they expected from their usual stream of authentic japanese manga. extend this to nips that generally understand foreigner manga are just poor imitations of their own goods; understand they are some of the most nationalistic people in the world. but at least nips are humble enough to recognize if something is objectively good and interesting.

this is not meant to discourage anyone, but i'm just saying that moving to japan and selling in japan isn't really going to help you very much if your story is uninteresting and can't compete with the likes of AoT in the first place. AoT had a very strong hook/beginning. most memorable stories that get that sort of popularity/following have one like game of thrones and harry potter.

if anything, webtoons make a great testing ground to see if your shit is interesting or not and to just practice your skills in general. just treat it like any other social media platform, and expand to others like twitter, youtube, tiktok, etc. also make friends with other mangakas/artists and do art trades with them; this helps both parties to promote each other while getting a token of friendship.

tl;dr, hone skills to make a great story with great visuals, worry about profits/glory later.
>>
>>5524763
Everything in the art field is hard when you speak under the assumption of "making it" but making it big in Japan is more than just a goal, you have to have to have dedication and the resolution to reach such goal, and i think it would be tunnel vision to treat it as an ultimatum. You should work toward a reachable goal first then move on when once you have made a promise to yourself to reach the next goal.
>>
>>5524758
>A lot of the more experienced guys already have contact with professional editors
we have?
>>
>>5524862
beside that one anon who live in Japan I mean
>>
File: 006.png (1.45 MB, 1685x2500)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB PNG
>>5524836
>AoT had a very strong hook/beginning. most memorable stories that get that sort of popularity/following have one like game of thrones and harry potter.
This is an excellent point and one that everybody here should take to heart. HOOK YOUR READERS!
That doesn't mean you can't have a slow burn or a build up, but you need to show the readers something that will make them want to keep reading first. Remember World Piece? Remember how the free preview didn't have anything interesting going on? Don't do that. Put your good stuff front and center. Notice how the first chapter of manga often open with something to grab your attention, some kind of hook that tells the reader roughly what it is they're about to read? That's a good example of this in practice.
The introduction can't be half-assed, you need to really make sure it will draw people in. Nobody will read to the end if the intro sucks. Tell or show your readers right away why they want to read this work.
>>
>>5524836
thank you for your rational thought. I'm kind of dumb most of the time
>>
Is it possible to grow on webtoons without using your social media to market it? Lots of people are saying it's actually not possible because the algorithm is bad, but that would be counterproductive for both webtoons and the creators on webtoons
>>
>>5524876
Do any of those lots of people make good stories with decent art andpost often
>>
>>5524877
lol no. but nobody is calling them out
>>
>>5524876
enter webtoon competition, so publisher can shill your work and may even partner up with you if you want to work for them
>>
is getting donations thru crypto with Monero a great idea if my manga blows up and you guys end up like it ?
>>
>>5524836
Why would you care? If you want to publish Japanese manga, Japanese readers are the target demo. The others don’t even pay for manga. Having overseas readers is just a cherry on top.
>>
>>5524905
>japanese readers are the target demo

i guarantee you, you really won't get anywhere thinking this way. with such a general target like this, your manga will be literally on the same tier as something found on deviantart to the nips except printed, if it even gets that far.

foreigners literally can't mimic what nips would generally like unless they literally grew up in japan to understand the nuances. to encapsulate what japan likes as a whole is a challenge in itself in the first place since they are constantly competing with one another to make the better product. what i am saying is that whatever a foreigner makes will 99% be 3rd rate compared to even their amateur doujinshis. they can smell the foreigner on you and know your knowledge is lacking.

think of it this way, you can tell who an ESL is from the way they even type on an anonymous board like this. hell, some people can tell who's female, their politics, and if they're a newfag in general just from the way they behave and post. you don't think nips can pick up on that while reading manga, where your creative soul comes out? what a nip is thinking, is that if it's done by a foreigner, it better be god damn good.

the only edge a foreigner could bring is a fresh idea that nips aren't familiar with seeing already after consuming thousands of japanese media, otherwise it would probably come off as more generic than the foreigner thinks or distasteful to japanese sensibilities.

this is why i'm saying you should shoot for a story that would interest the world, not just japan, to ensure your shit will even get a chance to be read past the first couple of pages.
>>
i lied. im not giving up on japanese. i want to be a mangaka so bad
>>
>>5524944
Get off your nipwank bro. It’s embarrassing.
>>
>>5525006
Not them but they're not wrong; attempting to mimic what people are already doing in their own country is often a fool's errand because not only do you not understand that culture as much as a native might, but there are also likely hundreds if not thousands of natives that are doing what you're doing better than you're doing it.

Thankfully, there is an easier (for you) and more unique route, that being utilizing whatever culture you yourself are a part of to create a unique product. Japanese people are still people; they'll be drawn to different and unique concepts just like we are. Attempting to "be Japanese" isn't going to be as interesting to the Japanese in the long run as attempting to share a unique and genuine experience is going to be. If they're willing to set aside their initial hesitation when it comes to reading something made by a foreigner, then chances are they're going to be more than willing to partake in a unique work that includes things with which they are unfamiliar. It's that same drive that pushes foreigners to manga, so why not use that to push Japanese people toward a new take on familiar media? They like Western stuff a lot anyway; it's not like Netflix series and Hollywood films are a rare commodity there. They even watch our cartoons.
>>
>>5524944
Your target audience should be Japanese. Westerners don’t vote in Magazine polls and they don’t buy volumes in the same quantities Japanese people do. If you’re printed in Japan, your primary audience is Japanese. And likewise, this doesn’t mean you should attempt to mimic or imitate the Japanese. You should be conscious of making certain things “appeal to Japanese values” but you’ll have an editor to help point that out.

At the end of the day, a good story is a good story is a good story, regardless of who makes it. And the fundamentals if story are universal. This idea that “just cause you’re a foreigner your stuff will be 3rd rate when compared to even amateur doujinshi” is absolutely preposterous. Especially when you consider than not only are western IP like Star Wars and Disney incredibly popular in Japan, but some of the most successful manga in Japan draw heavy influence from the west. Berserk being the most obvious example, but you’ve also got Eichiro Oda citing French cartoons, Nausicaa, HeroAca drawing from Marvel, both Gege and Fujimoto citing western cinema as large influence, with Fujumoto especially drawing heavily from Tarantino in both cinematography and writing, Araki, etc….
>>
2/2
By consuming lots of Japanese media you’re already keenly aware of various cultural nuances that distinguish both sides, and we all are already aware if the KiShoTenKetsu narrative structure. If you wanna dig deeper into Japanese culture in storytelling, then read Japanese literature. I don’t mean LNs either, but actual literature like Murakami, Mishima, and so on. Norwegian Wood is essentially the template for your ambient slice of life story with your depressed and introspective protagonist that meets many different fucked up girls who wanna bang him. That’s where that is coming from in so many anime like Haruhi and pretty much anything Kyoani. Watch Japanese cinema, Kurosawa, Satoshi Kon, Ishida, etc… Seven Samurai is a story template seen commonly in manga, and the cinematography has influenced western cinema and manga alike. There’s nothing here that can’t be learned, and fusing this with what you’ve inherited from the west having grown up in Japan more than likely brings a fresh experience to Japanese readers because your life experience is significantly different to anyone born in Japan.

>>5525036
They’re wrong in that they jumped to the conclusion that being conscious that your target audience is Japanese, means you should try to imitate other Japanese writers. You should take influence from there, sure. But his post reeks of the classic “you’ll never make manga cause you’re not Japanese” shitpost, just worded in a roundabout way.
>>
>>5525063
>>5525036
Following up cause there’s more I gotta say to this >>5524836

You don’t have to be “better than their most successful IP” that’s absurd. You simply have to be “better than where you’re competing.” If you’re in shounen Jump for example, then you simply have to better than what’s on the magazine, or at the very least, good enough to stay alive. But regardless, your focus should first and foremost be to tell a good story, to the best of your ability. If anything, if you’re gonna get published in Japan, I would recommend using a Japanese pen name, and remaining anonymous. Let your work speak for itself. Don’t clamor for brownie points cause you’re a foreigner. Can you get extra attention because of it? Sure, but that attention might not be positive.
>>
>>5525036
Yup. Write what you know about. Good stories will transcend cultures. I enjoy Japanese stories, and Japanese peopl can enjoy American stories
>>
File: 1581818523374.png (33 KB, 187x295)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
it's 2AM but I need to finish atleast 2 full pages a day before the deadline...
>>
>>5525128
DRINK FIVE HOUR ENERGY AND DRAW AS MUCH AS YOU CAN
THEN TAKE A NAP UNDER THE DESK
THAT'S WHAT I DO
I'M WORKING ON A COVER RIGHT NOW
>>
>>5525128
>>5525136
Protip: Stop using 4chan when you're low on time.
>>
>>5525128
Deadline? who's hiring you to draw comics?
>>
>>5525177
>contests just stay open for submissions forever
>>
File: 1602844128661.jpg (283 KB, 595x585)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
>>5525225
Does anybody make a living with comics? Is this even possible?
>>
>>5525236
There are several Japanese people who do it. But in America the way the comic industry is set up you have to pretty much be a celebrity with some kind of sizable following already before even being considered by a studio big enough to pay you for a serialization.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJoF_zB_og8&ab_channel=FilmCourage

As I've been writing more and more, this is how it's started to become for me. A lot of screenwriting books say "go theme first" but I find it better to go characters first, with a sense of theme, or potential themes, based on their flaws, but not concrete idea, amd then discovering that theme in the first draft. Then, in the second draft, you hone in on sharpening that.

Great video btw.
>>
I hate work so much. I wish I was a NEET so I could focus full-time on drawing. I’ve even considered trying to sell a cheesy low brow light novel just to make some income that can replace a job. Crypto and meme stocks is over my head.
>>
>>5525317
If I do this I often ask myself "Why does this character exist?" I feel like when I start with characters, they exist for no good reason and can be left out. But when I start with theme I know each character's purpose in the story. (Not including very minor characters.) How do you go about creating characters that have a purpose in the story from the very beginning?
>>
>>5525248
>There are several Japanese people who do it
Don't they live in abject poverty?
>>
>>5525678
i ran across my favorite manga artist when I was 10 on twitter (reference: i'm like 30 now and they were middle aged back in the day) and they're still shilling merch for their one successful coming to make a modest living
>>
>>5525236
>Does anybody make a living with comics? Is this even possible?
Stonetoss
>>
>>5525236
In western industry, only relatable content or political satire. Social media is geared around short attention span and instant gratification so most people would rather enjoy bite-sized comics that they can just like and swipe
>>
>>5525689
>Stonetoss

Stonetoss is also legitimately great at strip style comics.
>>
>>5525678
That's animators
>>
>>5525874
>Stonetoss is also legitimately great at strip style comics.
He never learnt loomis though, and the anatomy isn’t great
>>
I think everyone’s seen that mangak weekly schedule pic by now. If their weeks are that crammed, don’t they find time to read manga other manga?
>>
>>5525972
Depends on the artist
>>
>>5525678
They do. People keep pointing at the likes of Horikoshi or Oda without realizing that they're the equivalents of Stan Lee or Frank Miller or Grant Morrison. There's a small amount of people at the top, a shitton of people in the middle range that are just barely scraping by on the poverty royalties their publishers drip-feed them from multiple IPs, and then there's an even wider group of people on the very bottom that aren't getting enough to live on or are getting nothing at all. The comic industry is bigger in Japan than it is in the US, but that doesn't mean there's enough of an industry to just show up and set up shop and earn a modest living.

There's a reason why people often rely on merch sales and Comiket to close the gap.
>>
File: 56dxpvnry9901.jpg (32 KB, 638x336)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
The only stories I can write are about characters drawing manga.
>>
File: giphy.gif (1.73 MB, 480x270)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB GIF
to those who are drawing for the contests, how are you guys doing so far? just checking up on ya.
>>
Maybe some of you will appreciate this
She has a day job too
https://youtu.be/xOtkXE1fzMc
>>
>>5525063
>By consuming lots of Japanese media you’re already keenly aware of various cultural nuances that distinguish both sides
no you are not. you only know their caricatured versions of it. you don't understand the history of why and how it got to that point. native japanese do, and hence knows how to iterate it more effectively and in a fresher/original manner.

>but you’ll have an editor to help point that out.
no, as a foreigner your editor already understands that you would NEVER be able to know as much as he does and takes for granted. your editor understands, what he is doing is simply sticking bandaids over your giant gaps of knowledge, because teaching someone how to be someone they aren't is literally mental illness-inducing for both parties.

>At the end of the day, a good story is a good story is a good story
this is what i've been saying the entire time, and to focus less on the japanese audience in itself.

>If you’re in shounen Jump for example, then you simply have to better than what’s on the magazine, or at the very least, good enough to stay alive.
this is exactly what sets up people for failure, because they just look at who they think is the "worst" of their immediate competition and think as long as they are better than this guy, they'll be fine. the reality is that no, you won't. if you're a foreigner you're going to have the odds stacked against you far more than your average nip who already has a set of advantages over you just by being born in the right time and place.

foreigners seriously don't understand the competitive mentality that nips and other asians go through. all of them are aiming to be the next naruto or whatever, ALL of them. they don't just hope that isekai#832743 will give them a comfortable wage and keep them afloat. the pressure they put on themselves and from the people around them is enormous. if you want to stay alive, you have to shoot to be the best and better than at least 90% of the competition.
>>
>>5526108
>foreigners seriously don't understand the competitive mentality that nips and other asians go through. all of them are aiming to be the next naruto or whatever, ALL of them.

Have you considered that maybe this is why not all of us are aiming for Jump or to be published by JP mags? I don't *want* to be the next Naruto. I don't *want* my manga to run for the next 10,000 years. I have other shit I want to do, other books I want to make, other IPs I want to work on. I'd rather follow in the footsteps of Otomo than those of Kishimoto.
>>
File: 37.png (826 KB, 1133x829)
826 KB
826 KB PNG
>>5526096
props on her but it seems like she works an office job
I absolutely do not buy that she is too tired from an office job to draw after work
i'm a weak guy and I always drew as much as possible while working shitty minimum wage back breaking jobs.
that fucking commuting tho, that shit is terrible
>>
>>5526114
> I don't *want* my manga to run for the next 10,000 years.
i mean in terms of the impact of their work, not how long they milk their franchise.
>>
>>5526130
I work an office job, assume that she's typical exel or programing fag. That shit tend to take a toll on your head depend on the day and project. You're not physically tired, but your brain goes numb and strain after doing crap load of computing and you end up not wanting to do anything at home. It gets worse when you hate your monkey code job.
>>
>>5526130
>has to cook and clean after work too some days of the week
I buy it
>>
>>5526114
>I don't *want* to be the next Naruto.
I do.
>>
>>5526108
Don’t know why you guys want I pretend the Japanese are like an alien species or something.
>>
>>5526319
Alien species? No.
Alien culture? Yes.
The whole fucking reason anime became a subculture in the west is because it feels completely different from western media, owing to coming from a very different culture.
>>
>>5526319
>the Japanese are like an alien species
they are
its why east asian women are so beautiful because they are otherworldly creatures from beyond this realm, that's why even the "ugly" ones are cute

damn i need an asian gf i don't even care if she treats me like shit as long as she doesn't interrupt my work for anything but a hug
>>
>>5526321
You guys need to stop. One of the most revered authors in the Japanese language is a Greek-Irish mutt with one eye from America, barely spoke a lick of Japanese when he got there. It’s weeb fantasy and projection and you know it.
>>
>>5526004
I really hate how, you can spring through one panel for like 10 min easily, then something you can get stuck in one panel for 3 hours.
>>
>>5526385
sometime*
>>
File: 1625017768836.png (542 KB, 985x791)
542 KB
542 KB PNG
>>5526377
>You guys need to stop
Stop what? Reminding you that the world isn't homogenous? This doesn't just apply to Japan, you know. You do understand that acknowledging this doesn't mean fucking worshipping other cultures, right? In France it's normal to kiss and hug your friends. In Australia insults are more terms of endearment than offense. People act differently in different parts of the world.
>>
>>5526411
...So because sometimes French people kiss their friends and Australian people insult people to show endearment (which is literally done all over the world by the way) Japanese people...don't like foreign concepts or authors?
>>
After reading the SMA contests, I feel like people from there put more effort into their art than the one shot contest. The judges are probably stricter too
>>
>>5526541
My point is that we may have customs that are weird and off-putting to different cultures just as they do to us, and if one is going to try to write a story aimed at an audience comprised of a different culture then there's a lot more to it than just knowing the language. Japanese people, just like any other people, may be put off if a story presents stuff that may be normal to the author but is weird to them, due to the cultural difference. It's something that should be kept in mind.

>(which is literally done all over the world by the way)
Wrong.
>>
File: manwhuauau.png (690 KB, 704x3104)
690 KB
690 KB PNG
first time even drawinga something close to a pannel. I've read some stuff on manga theory, but i wanna know what you guys think
>>
>>5526096
how does pixiv compare to patreon
>>
>>5524721
I mean, you are right but come on, y'all won't become the next Kishimoto or Togashi.
>>
>>5526096

but how do you get the readers
>>
>>5526411
And yet somehow the number of artists who aren’t French and don’t kiss their friends and don’t think that’s normal have managed to crack the code and find success in France of all places.
>>
>>5526991
This. Radiant is actually fairly popular in Japan, kek. What a delusional fucking weeb.
>>
>>5524944
Do you have any idea of how many japanese authors are there that gaikoku weebs haven't heard about in their lives and are still making a living as mangaka in japan?
>>
what is a decent royalty free font for comics or manga?
>>
File: 1622711121456.png (1.05 MB, 1862x2048)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
>>5527183
wildwords
anime ace
shounen punk

idk what this thumbnail is but here
>>
>>5527184
thanks, also i thought anime ace is a licensed font for personal use only?
>>
>>5526790
I will become like Kishimoto
>>
why no one is posting their drawings?
>>
>>5526642
>>(which is literally done all over the world by the way)
>Wrong.
...What? Are you Australian or Friendless? This is practically common practice in all corners of the world. I call my friends morons on the regular, this is a normal thing.
>>
inking hair hurts my hand
>>
>>5526790
I will become like Togashi
>>
File: stream gif.gif (497 KB, 500x281)
497 KB
497 KB GIF
>>5527338
tatsuki wnmi
>>
>>5526790
I will become like both, you may call me Kishimotogashi.
>>
Really lacking confidence lately.
>>
>>5527333
You calling your friends moron by default does not mean all corners of the world do, dude. In all english speaking parts of the world it's normal. Is that true for all spanish speaking parts of the world? Hindi? Chinese? Japanese? Burmese? Thai? Russian, and so on? My point is that just because it's normal for you doesn't guarantee it's normal for everyone, and assuming otherwise is naive.
>>
>>5527713
You know what I meant dude; insulting your friends isn't some Ozzie-only thing. Do you really want to die on this hill?

The lengths people will go to """""win""""" an argument on here, jesus christ.
>>
>>5527764
>insulting your friends isn't some Ozzie-only thing.
Thanks for regurgitating what I just said back to me.
>In all english speaking parts of the world it's normal.
>>
>>5527713
>>5527764
>>5527785
just kiss already
>>
>>5526642
>>5527785
>>(which is literally done all over the world by the way)
>Wrong.
>>
>>5527713
I can confirm from personal experience that sarcasm tends to fly over most Japanese people’s heads. Granted a huge part of that is likely the language barrier, still, I’m fairly confident that the Anglo way of “if I tease you, it’s cause I like you” way of bonding common among the brits and aussies and even burgers likely would be taken in earnest in Japan, because it’s something even Spanish people don’t quite understand too well. Irony and sarcasm and cynicism are very Northern European traits, whereas Mediterraneans are more earnest and laid back.

My best friend is from London, and when we lived in Madrid, we’d often go out to meet girls. It was very common that they wouldn’t understand his sense of humor and would take his insults personally rather than as playful jabs. He told me one time on a date this one girl even started crying and said “sometimes you say things to me, and they really hurt.” He said he felt pretty bad, so he started to dial it back a bit since that, but would also use “how well she could handle it” as a means of measuring how cool a girl was overall.

All that aside, this debate over “you can’t make earnest manga cause you’re mot Japanese” or “your target audience shouldn’t be Japanese if you publish in Japan” are both very very dumb arguments. A good story is built on the fundamentals of storytelling, cultural nuances don’t make or break a story, that’s more of the flavor, and likewise, because culture is something you absorb through input and assimilation, it’s all something you’ll naturally inherit and understand the more you expose yourself to it.

If you disagree with me, then you should read more manga.
>>
>>5527845
One caveat, the ONE exception I’d make to this is comedy; if you’re making a gag manga, a sense of humor is VERY cultural. Some things are universal, but there are some jokes that straight up might not cross cultural barriers, or are too exclusive to a specific culture’s sense of humor. Likewise, Japanese humor is rife with puns and has a cultural history built on Manzai and other historical comedy acts.

Comedy is hard enough to write as it is, doubly so when you gotta make it work for a foreign audience, even if you like their sense of humor. Some slapstick, situational comedy, or even ecchi humor in a non-comedy manga is one thing, and fairly easy to do, cause again, universal, but trying to go full gag ls WAYYYY harder.

I learned that while doing the Tiger Square pilot which was rife with language puns and even had a manzai comedy skit and subverted expectations for humor and irony. Funny enough, all my Japanese friends loved it (the editor didn’t) as did several of my students (elementary schoolers), but it was still much harder to write than something done in earnest. It took a lot of research into Japanese comedy, and I’m still permanently limited by my mastery of the language in order to form puns (the Onigiri gag can only go so far).
>>
Sometimes I feel like I’m not cut out for this, or like I’m not the right person, don’t have the right personality. I see other artists and I notice they have certain tendencies, likes, dislikes, they tend to be a good bit on the nerdy side especially, they like collecting things from anime, manga, movies, games, they like to talk about certain things, hang out with certain types of people, and I’m just not like that. It’s all superficial stuff that doesn’t matter I know, but I see it a lot, especially in the better artists and it makes me think “do I not have the right personality for this?”
>>
>>5527856
As some one who lived in both Asia and North America, slapstick and manzai are universally understood by the world. Maybe satire too but that depends on the subject (the Japanese side of internet is better known for this.)
There is another type of humor that Japanese use all the time but we dont really talk about it, folksy humor. Mainly because it varies across cultures, however, I think most people in general understand them even if the context of the humor is from another country.
Asian can understand Gintama's farmers and uncle joke easily, I think even Mexican too. The only country I know who don't find them funny are Americans who would get offended by the usage of slang or name, even when you show it to a racist American, they would just get confused and brush it off as outdated "boomer" jokes.
Then again, "Boomers" jokes in Asia are different, we don't really call them boomer in a sense of shame. It can be rude admittedly, it's a very situational type of humor.
>>
>start watching a few manben on my favorite artists
>get through all that i know
>check out latest episode
>naoki yamaoto
lmao this mf looks like he draws in ms paint

https://www.naokiurasawa.com/naoki-yamamoto/
>>
how do you keep yourself from start working on any half baked ideas from popping into your head and keep your focus just on finish your current project?
>>
>>5527832
English speaking parts of the world =/= all over the world. It's still an incorrect statement.
Are you going to nitpick a single example forever or did you have something to say about the actual point I was making, that cultural customs aren't all universal?
>>
>>5526130
guweiz in his artbook mentioned his time drawing after work in the military was way easier than when he was in university

your brain genuinely has a limit to how much it can process a day
>>
>>5524665
I hope you get a big hit, anon.
>>
>>5527971
My main motivator is deadline, which is what I'm doing right now.
I give myself an illusion of promise that the current project will be some sort of reward once I've finished it, giving myself excuse of the things that will happen if I do it.
>>
I hate this so much, I'm tired..
>>
>>5528069
Do you use some sort of 3D model to help you draw your bikes or do you just draw from imagination and reference?
>>
Think starting with a script rather than just trying to draw a story is better for beginners looking to start comic making? I feel like I have no story to tell just because I'm not sure how to put it into words. I guess I looped on myself because I should put in pictures... I'll try ti come up with something in three days
>>5527955
That episode took me for a ride because his program is so old, he likes the mechanical uniform lines it gives, he spent an hour adjusting that girls dang face and he spilt coffee on his tablet. Inspirational, I like him
>>
>>5528172
>Think starting with a script rather than just trying to draw a story is better for beginners looking to start comic making?
Actual mangaka pretty much think with their storyboards. Copy that, it seems to work out for them.
>I feel like I have no story to tell just because I'm not sure how to put it into words.
So adapt something but do stuff you think is cool instead of stuff you think is lame. You don't even have to tell anyone, just change the names and rock it.
>>
>>5528166
I tried to use the model then render it to black and white lines but it looked awfully bad, or i just dont know how to use it. I ended up using the bike as reference and drawn it completely.
>>
File: 1.png (2.88 MB, 1392x1478)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB PNG
>>
>>5525689
How much does he make?
>>
>>5528172
write some characters with depth (at the very least a main personality trait and goal), select an overall "message" or "theme" for your story and it can pretty much write itself

this is my method idk if it works for anyone else but in this way i can pretty much daydream and watch an episode of my OCs interacting
i'll also use music to get a feel for whatever setting i'm going for
>>
>>5528290
Same mindset of chefs, "you are as good as your last dish"
>>
I got 15 pages to ink and shade until the 28th.....wish me luck anons
>>
>>5528754
>5 days
good luck anon consider trying to get help with at least filling in betas/blacks
don't reply to this post just finish work
>>
>>5528754
what contest?
>>
>>5529234
looks like SMA since it's due on the 28th
>>
I like seeing this thread sometimes, even though i don't actually engage it ever. I just wanted to throw down the submission i made for the Kyoto International contest. Started the draft on the 27th, then sometime the 1st or 2nd started the manuscript.
Anyone working on stuff here, good luck.
back to work.

https://medibang.com/book/bv2107240643171120014487452/view/
>>
>>5527971
You're art is decent but I would really focus on learning better paneling and speech bubble placement. Everything I've seen from you generally stick to the same boring layout and the bubbles and text are awkwardly placed near the top of the frame. I would even say the same thing about the art too, some of the images are interesting to look at it is ruined by all the tangents in the artwork itself and frame.
>>
File: 1601070776258.jpg (113 KB, 1440x1080)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>5527971
try writing an in-depth description/draw a sketch of your idea so it's out of your head, and back up the file so you know it's safe. i don't know if it'll help you, but my problem is fearing that i'll forget it if i don't do it RIGHT NOW, so knowing that the idea is written down and safe takes away that feeling of urgency.
>>
>>5529238
The 12pm deadline for SMA is Japanese time correct? So for example July 28 12pm would mean July 27 8pm in PST
>>
When do you like to draw? What’s your usual routine?

I’m struggling with my schedule lately personally.
>>
>>5529426
it say s 12pm for your timezone so idk
>>
>>5524707
>it's just that there just are not that many good comics being made in the west.
There are plenty of good comics being made here, it's that the industry isn't kind to indies who get the short end of the stick when it comes to marketing and distribution. The word of mouth that helps manga so much isn't as widespread for indies for a number of reasons, such as being completely overshadowed by Marvel and DC superheroes.
>>
>>5529500
Are you saying good comics don’t become popular? Shouldn’t good things become popular, while bad things get filtered out?
>>
>>5529519
>Shouldn’t good things become popular
They can only be as popular as per how many opportunities they get. The thing is that indies are frequently put in a position where they can't really expand further, even if they're amazing.
Things are changing for indies as they slowly get more exposure, but that's the thing, it's happening slowly.
>>
>>5529546
So is learning Japanese the only way to make it to a free and fair comic marketplace?
>>
>>5526096
Bruh she's using the most expensive ugliest Wacom tablet ever
>>
>>5529549
is it though?
>>
>>5529567
idk is it?
>>
>>5526096
>she
I legit thought it was a dude.
>>
>>5529569
"a free and fair comic marketplace".
>>
>>5529575
Is it? I don’t know anything
>>
File: Miura .jpg (123 KB, 960x870)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
Reminder that you also need to take care of your health
Have time for exercise, relax for a bit, walk outside and maintain healthy diet.
Making manga is harsh and it takes a huge toll on your body (in the long run)
>>
>>5529578
Not him but the JP comic market isn't any more fair and equitable than any other market, it's just arguably bigger than the market in the US. Lots of artists still don't get traction (you don't hear about the failures because they never even get to the west), lots of artists still get their serialization retracted because they didn't hit arbitrary reader numbers, lots of artists subsist off of poverty wages and stale bread. It's not a comic-making paradise, just a market with more room (and more people to fill it, so not even that guarantees you any greater amount of success).
>>
Wait are there actually people here trying to make it in the Japanese manga industry? Like I humor the fact that you guys call what you're doing manga and not comics because I get it, you're going for the general style of Japanese sequential art. But going to Japan and trying to compete in that market directly seems foolish. Is it because thats the only way you think you'll "legitimately" make manga?

Realistically I think we'll be seeing a lot more American and European "published" (whether it be print or digital) comics imitating manga in the future. Its a huge boom waiting to happen considering most people growing up drawing and imitating comics aren't imitating typical superhero comics or indie comics. They want to do manga style. And there'll be a bunch of artists wanting to do that and readers who'll take to that style. It'll still be a competitive field and you're best off marketing yourself as much as possible and working independently in the beginning but I think it's a more reliable path.
>>
>>5529636
I'm pretty sure it's one or two naive anons. The other anon who actually lives in japan and draws good manga style probably spiked their hope.
>>
>>5529636
>Is it because thats the only way you think you'll "legitimately" make manga?
Can't speak for the others but I don't believe in the whole "legitimate manga" thing. I like the style and will make comics in that style and people can call it whatever they want. That's it.
>>
>>5529585
>JP comic market isn't any more fair and equitable
Felipe Smith disagrees. You get better royalties pay, you own your IP, you get paid commission on top of royalties, AND your royalties are paid up front, for every book PRINTED not sold. All of these are unheard of in the USA.
>>
>>5529636
I think people should aim for what they want to aim for and they shouldn’t let people like you make them second guess themselves.
>>
>>5529636
Japanese market is inarguably the best for comic books. It’s tougher to get into if you’re not born in Japan, but it’s worth a shot if you’re willing to try given the higher benefits.
>>
>>5529636
>Realistically I think we'll be seeing a lot more American and European "published" (whether it be print or digital) comics imitating manga in the future. Its a huge boom waiting to happen considering most people growing up drawing and imitating comics aren't imitating typical superhero comics or indie comics. They want to do manga style. And there'll be a bunch of artists wanting to do that and readers who'll take to that style. It'll still be a competitive field and you're best off marketing yourself as much as possible and working independently in the beginning but I think it's a more reliable path.
This is great of you’re a consumer. Not so much if you’re a creator as all it does is add more competition for attention while the conditions remain totally shit.
>>
>>5529646
>All of these are unheard of in the USA.

Image lets you keep your own IP, as do many other indies. They also have some form of royalty payments. Granted I'm not sure how good it is in comparison.
>>
>>5529662
According to Felipe, he says getting paid up front for every book printed is something he wishes American publishers would adopt from Japan.

Also, no publishers do commission pay per page for your own IP to my knowledge, because they don’t have running magazines. You make the issue, you publish the issue, you get paid a % for every issue sold. That’s how it works in the USA. At best you might get some money up front to fund your story if you give a good pitch, but you won’t get the same level of security you see in Japan.
>>
>>5529664
>>5529662
Likewise, you don’t see contests offering up $10,000 prize money for 1st place, every month, like you see in Japan. Contests are common among all the manga publishers, and they offer very good prize money to rookies for winning.
>>
>>5529657
Rising tide raises all ships. Yes there'll be more competition, but there's been competition for decades but no water since publishers were run by older people and had no clue what younger consumers were into.
A lot of publishers and readers gave up on"American Manga" because at the time the quality of artists attempting to replicate the style wasn't very good. But its changed drastically in the last 5 years. Up until recently a lot of publishers were apprehensive about having manga style artwork unless the company specialized , usually niche ones, so your options of selling your manga style work were even slimmer. To say nothing of the wealth of self-publishing options now that bely traditional publishing.

>>5529651
I mean, suit themselves and all I just think its odd. If you want to make movies or write books you generally don't go to another country to do it even if they're more lucrative. If you want to make manga, start by making manga. Think like a doujin creator.Make them because you want to but also find a way to market them on your own if you can't get a publisher for it. Its more important to get your work out there and producing content than getting a publisher and paid for it.
>>
>>5529673
>If you want to make movies or write books you generally don't go to another country to do it even if they're more lucrative.
Actually, you do sometimes.
>>
>>5529680
Sometimes, sure. There's tons of notable directors who started filming in other countries in different parts of their career. But they didn't wait until they moved to start their careers, they were making something in their media of choice, even if it was short movies. In other words, if you want to make manga...start making manga. Don't wait until you can move to Japan and submit or take part in a competition on the hopes you might be able to break in maybe.
>>
>>5529680
Not him but I'm pretty sure this is due to researching culture and needing producer's funding
Anyway i think this whole thing is retarded tbqh. We live in the age of the internet where you can get eyes on your work no matter where you live around the world
>>
File: asagi inquisitive.png (124 KB, 276x398)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
>>5529706
>There's tons of notable directors who started filming in other countries in different parts of their career. But they didn't wait until they moved to start their careers, they were making something in their media of choice, even if it was short movies.
But that's what everybody here is doing.
>>
>>5529706
Don’t know where you got this idea from that people are waiting until they move to draw. Going back to books, there are probably hundreds of well known examples of exactly that anyway.

>>5529710
Let people do what they want. If publishing manga in Japan is what they want, who are you say what they should or shouldn’t do? What an artist does with their art is their business and there’s no reason to be so concerned with what other people do or do not do and why.
>>
>>5529714
>who are you say what they should or shouldn’t do? What an artist does with their art is their business and there’s no reason to be so concerned
So dont bring it up in the general if you dont want it to he talked about, this goes for you and anyone else who does it because it happened multiple times lately. You're acting like people here are invading someone's personal business or some shit yet it's being brought up here in the first place.
>>
>>5529636
How is moving to Japan to work in the manga industry any different than Asians moving to silicon valley to work in tech?
>>
>>5529724
I didn’t even bring it up. The guy made a comment out of nowhere like “Wow. You guys are actually doing X?! I know better.” Not only is it obnoxious but it’s obviously just an attempt to stir the pot. Clearly people who make manga will have aspirations to make Japanese manga.
>>
>>5529731
Real answer? That’s only normal in Western countries.
>>
>>5529714
>Let people do what they want. If publishing manga in Japan is what they want, who are you say what they should or shouldn’t do? What an artist does with their art is their business and there’s no reason to be so concerned with what other people do or do not do and why.

I mean the board is Artwork/Critique and all. That includes advice in general. I'm not saying don't think about ever trying to go to Japan and try to market yourself there, just that there are so many avenues these days it strikes me like an odd goal.
>>
>>5529731
Because the American tech market wants Asians to work in tech.The Japanese manga industry doesn't particularly want westerners to work in manga.
>>
How do you write dialogues that sounds natural?
Any ways to avoid writing unintentional bad/cheesy lines?
>>
>>5529741
Not to mention making it big in manga in Japan, as a foreigner, is a rare occasion that should be celebrated, and that in and of itself as an aspiration caries its own merit due to how difficult and rare it is to have happen.

I think you can count in less than one hand the number of people who’ve accomplished that, and the only one to penetrate Shounen Jump so far has been Boichi.

Having high aspirations in life is something to be admired, not criticized.
>>
>>5529775
All I can really say is to try and act out the lines quietly. The author of golgo 13 never noticed he quietly says the lines of the dialogue he's writing down
>>
>>5529775
It begins with the characters’ in the scene want and what obstacles are in the way of that want. I know it might sound odd that want or the pursuit of a short term goal can dictate a conversation between two characters, but everything in a story needs to serve a purpose and move the story forward.

Here’s a video going more in depth:

https://youtu.be/lfTRuq9_X_M

Watch a bunch of films, especially those by screenwriters notorious for good dialogue like Tarantino or Sorkin, and notice how their dialogue is purposeful and driven by what the characters want. It’s actually rare that people just “infodump” exposition about the world pf themselves. Dialogue can be used to reveal character too, but it’s always subtle and purposeful.
>>
>>5529772
So is this just your projected butthurt at the fact that people are “invading the purity of your favorite media?” Or at least have the desire to?

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that the end product is good. Let people aspire to whatever they want. Plain and simple, if their product isn’t good, they’ll never make it in Japan anyway, and of they do t means their content was good, and no amount of seething from crabby weeaboos will change their success.

Find better things to get upset about.
>>
>>5529786
>Not to mention making it big in manga in Japan, as a foreigner, is a rare occasion that should be celebrated, and that in and of itself as an aspiration caries its own merit due to how difficult and rare it is to have happen.
The thing for me (not sure about this other guy) is that some accomplishments are superficial when compared to others.

Like, sure, being the first foreigner to "make it" in Jump is cool, but no one really remembers the "first" when it comes to things like this. They just remember the best.

The "first" will become a footnote to other, better works that came after, unless their work is already at that tier, and if it is, then no one is going to care about them being the "first," they're just going to care that they made a good manga.

As a result, I personally don't care whether I get published over here or other there. I just want to have a good manga that people will love.
>>
So should I learn Japanese or not?
>>
>>5529933
Do you want to write your works in japanese? No? Then don't.
>>
>>5529947
What steps should you take to get to Japan once you learn Japanese? I don’t understand how that works. I hear that if you get unemployed your work visa stops working so you need to stay at a job long term, but don’t assistants jump around from job to job, with stretches of unemployment? Or how about manga artists between series?
>>
>>5529775
What Araki does is he never adds dialogue that he himself wouldn't say irl. Like when you hit your toe on a table, your natural response would also be the response of the character (also taking into account their personality)
>>
90% of this thread is mindless bullshit about the worth of an industry that doesn't care about you, does anyone here even draw?
>>
>>5530063
well sloth is the most common sin of mankind after all.
>>
>>5530063
Then you tell me how to make a living with comics outside of Japan
>>
File: Nuts 22-05-21.png (97 KB, 1161x2064)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
>>5530063
>does anyone here even draw?
yea
>>
>>5529426
>>5529448
the timing is depend on your profile information of location
>>
When it comes to paying tribute to other series or making parody or tribute characters, how much is too much and what do you enjoy when it comes to this in webcomics? For instance Fred Perry from the gold digger comic series features tons of parody characters and little tributes to various hsows or series he enjoys.
>>
Which usually take the longest for you guys? And which you hate the most? Lineart, screentoning, dialouges, draft?
Lineart take me the longest because im a perfectionist, and hate screentoning the most because im new to it.
>>
>>5530286
Used to be lineart, but I kinda learnt that spending more time on lineart doesn't really make it look any better so it's better to just blast through that bit. Drafts/storyboards are where I'm spending all my time now.
>>
>>5529851
If you had met an aspirant author who had read a ton of French novels, French philosophy, and he told you that he learned French to move to France and publish novels in France, you wouldn’t think anything of it. Yet if someone says the same about Japanese manga, you start talking about what “the thing” is for you. In reality, it’s no different.
>>
>>5529765
It depends on your language and where you live. Moving to another country and publishing in that language might be a more realistic goal, even for some Westerners.
>>
I tried to make him feel shoujo manga ish. boys with short hairs in general are harder for me to draw
>>
>>5530703
Doesn't exactly look shoujo but he's cute
>>
>>5530703
pupils need to be the same size or the closer one to the camera needs to be bigger
if you just switch them it should be fine
>>
>>5530873
Yep, fixed.
I was going for cute, so it did its job haha.
>>
>>5530217
Just don't. Theres ways to do it but it just reeks of old boomer crap like Ben Dunn and Fred Perry
>>
>>5530370
I wouldn't think anything of it because I'd assume that he's doing it for the love of the medium--same as if someone told me they were doing the same for manga. If they told me they were doing it so that they could be "the first non-French writer of French novels that lives in France," I'd say the same thing I just said here.
>>
>>5530217
i remember getting turned off from reading a webcomic when they made a kaiji reference, and i fucking loved kaiji. just seemed cheesy and cringe.
>>
>>5531231
I don’t think anyone’s trying to be the first. We all just love drawing manga
>>
>>5529341
I think I received similar feed back from at least two pro artists. Although I don't think they had time to provide me with a comprehensive explanation about the problem of tangents. I only vaguely recall that this is a problem because it causes the subject or what depicted to be tethered to the side of the panels compositionally, but I am still don't entirely understand why that's a problem. I vaguely recall there being explanation from a book with examples, but I couldn't find it any more. Either way better type setting and placement is something I needed to work on.

>>5529418
Sounds like a good plan, I really need to write some of these down, but I am always too lazy. I kept most of my ideas in my head.
>>
File: 76543234565432.png (2.65 MB, 1800x1200)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB PNG
first time posting in mmg, I'm working on a personal project of sorts as a passion project and also learning process. Spent a few days on this, looking for crit. Had plenty of troubles. Don't know what to do with the bug man on the top, I've been trying to move and resize him around for composition purposes. Really need to work on intelligent design choices in comp and values. Also had a little trouble with the foreground character, I did use a reference for anatomy albeit it's not very convincing. I tried to make it look like he's running, but it's off. Still trying to practice more persp and learn how to make interesting backgrounds as well as experimenting with screentones and hatching. Thank you in advance if anyone crits. I want to learn as much as I can
>>
>>5531342
Try lowering your line of horizon, or just move the character further near center if you dont wanna redo the whole thing
>>
File: moving.jpg (76 KB, 632x912)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>5531374
ok thank you. I think I'll just move him further center then. I had trouble with translating characters along the horizon line as you can probably tell
>>
>>5531392
what you need is something to scale the human. see that wall? put the human there for draft, then draw something to scale the human idk a vending machine? check scale, then transfer the human to mid using pict related
>>
>>5531303
On your picture, why was she naked in the first panel?
>>
File: vol1.jpg (914 KB, 1000x1333)
914 KB
914 KB JPG
I'm working on this as a cover image. Any crits or major thing wrong with it before I scan and color?
>>
>>5531641
Where will you put the title in thisbcover?
>>
>>5531641
Hey, your line work is getting noticeably better. Good work, keep it up.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.