[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1622286906478.jpg (1.18 MB, 2360x2689)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
Post/discuss art supplies.
>>
everything is so expensive.
>>
File: pebeo on cotton paper.png (3.24 MB, 2264x738)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB PNG
bought some pebeo "high viscosity" acrylics recently. 3 out of 30 are lacking and semitransparent, but most of them are as deep as advertised.
>>
>>5662578
Prices are still alright in EU online stores but Jacksonart's they turned the prices up to eleven, it's actually cheaper to order from Amazon and pay shipping and import fees than order from the UK.
>>
File: 1623784394174.jpg (20 KB, 300x510)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
Who makes the best kolinsky sable brushes? I want to get one for inking.
>>
>>5663206
http://artbrush.com/shop/Series-3000-Supreme-Red-Sable-Fine-Line.html
Raphael might still be good but haven't used them in a while.
>>
File: zorn p.jpg (178 KB, 1600x735)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>5662563
i love the minamalism, a zorn pallet without the grey. gouache can be manipulated after drying, by weting it.

it reminds me when i was homless for a few monthes and i used red watercolor toothpick and a bottlecap, and handbook that can fit in my pocket.
while at the libary i saw a homless man cutting up paper grocery bags and makeing scrolls out of them, idk where he got them but that was resourceful.
>>
>>5663206
I'd go for a Rosemary. I've bought one W&N and was quite disappointed, but the brush may have been poorly handled (bought in a store).

I have a few Raphaël, and a few Rosemary's (travel brushes); Rosemary's have such a fine tip.
>>
File: 1621855420883.gif (8 KB, 117x168)
8 KB
8 KB GIF
>>5662563
>order a new dip pen holder from amazon
>instead of just one pen holder they accidentally send a pack of ten
>Get 60+ dollars worth of dip pen holders for 6$

Sometimes bros life is pretty great
>>
>>5663206
been using a rob simmons white sable, costs two fiddy on blick and better than the kolinshitsky people have been selling.
>>
File: 1598478546344.png (152 KB, 472x472)
152 KB
152 KB PNG
/ASG/ IS ANIME STUDY GENERAL AAAAAAA
>>
>>5663329
>while at the libary i saw a homless man cutting up paper grocery bags and makeing scrolls out of them
You met a travelling wizard?
>>
art store is going out of business
what should i horde
>>
>>5663765
vague question.
>>
>>5663765
gains
>>
>>5662563
Is a HB pencil good for begs? What are some good erasers that don't leave stains on my drawing?
>>
>>5663523
sorry bucko, this board is for Artists not for retards
>>
>>5663206
Rosemary's brushes have arrived. Holy shit, finally a dependable and appropriately priced brand. Kolinsky sable is excellent, even the red dot synthetic round holds good point. Synthetic flat is stiffer than most synthetic brushes for watercolor, it's great! I usually advise people to go for Escoda, but their QA is garbage, either you get a great brush or a garbage which splits in two.
>>
bump
>>
Contemplating buying parchment. Have a source for good price, but I have to buy a certain amount for the discounts.
>>
>>5662563
Do I post my anime studies here..??
>>
Is afghan lapis lazuli more expensive now?
>>
>>5663879

I'm so sad that I will get raped by customs if I would order from Rosemary and co. now.
>>
>>5667967
Their loss, even Amazon US registered on IOSS and now you pay VAT at the checkout, https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/ioss_en

UK people are too dense to do that or ship from Ireland.
>>
>>5663818
2H, HB, 2B, 4B 4B for dark cave like settings, 2H for defineing light, you can skech then use the eracer like a white pensil on grey paper, i just helps me to pretend that.
i persnaly havent tuchedd 4H yet

gum eracers, i spoted a "sand eraser" in a store. but, i think what your asking for is a kneelable eracer, thay say you can wash them.
also online i saw a colored set of them, if you want to pay for it.

also paper is the most important for an artist, beg tire is office coppy paper, don't fear balling them up and throwing them away.
>>
>>5663818
I find HB a bit too hard for begs as they usually put too much force on the pencil and scratch the paper, leaving marks as you erase. 2B can be a better fit.

Shop around different brands, tho. Nothing is truly in a standard these days. I've got a Hahnemuhle pencil tin as a gift and it fucking sucked. No fucking difference between 2B and 6B. (I hate their watercolor paper, hate their drawing paper and people keep gifting their stuff reeeeeeeee-)

As for erasers I've been in a committed relationship with staedtler's mars plastic for years now. Tombow's monos are good too. I have no brand preference for kneaded erasers, they are hard to find on themselves. Just make sure they don't get too old on your pencil case as they can get terribly sticky with time if not used.

At the end of the day, experimentation is your best friend. Find what works best for you and your goals. Are you a complete beg? Then buy a bit of everything and start experimenting with mark making. If you have a tight budget don't be afraid of sticking to student grade stuff if it makes you more comfortable "wasting" it practicing.
>>
any recommendations for watercolor/mixed media sketchbooks? only one at the store i went to today was a strathmore like 10 bucks for 12 pages hopefully can do better than that
>>
>>5668449
Canson mix media 60page 7x10 in for the same price
>>
>>5668460
Mixed media is a scam and the pages will pill.
>>
>>5668476
how so? I've used some in the past when I was trying out watercolors and it was fine I've had a watercolor paper pill as well paper has limits
>>
>>5668460
got that and a watercolor 30 page just in case ty
>>
File: 1602535104210.jpg (229 KB, 750x731)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>bought a gouache set
>bought a watercolor set
>bought two beautiful brushes sets, one for watercolor and the other for gouache
>bought a few oil paints, and brushes for it
>bought a 100 sheet 300gsm pack
>mfw it's been 6 months and I have done nothing with it
>>
>>5668599
have fun
>>
>>5668605
kek
me irl
>>
>>5668605
Almost me, but instead of oils I bought acrylics and those were the first.

Also some Prismacolor pencils and Copics I've barely used. I'm retarded.
>>
>>5668605
You should just bought the white titanium gouache and your watercolor set would double as gouache.
>>
>>5662563
Can anyone recommend a cheap brush pen to sketch with (for ink washes/tone with watered down ink)?
>>
>>5668605
same
going on 10 years now
>>
>>5668605
Almost me. I bought my sets, but then I bought a cintiq. Mostly digital now except occasional sketching.
>>
>>5668695

Not exactly true as most colors would look duller and less vibrant than proper gouache.
>>
>>5663765
Stillman birns books and inks
>>
>>5669444
Proper gouache looks dull once it dries, even the ones without fillers, the main difference would be the watercolor blooms which gouache doesn't do.
>>
>>5668695
Usually, gouache is cheaper than watercolor; IIRC, pigments are grinded more finely; Gurneys did had a video/blog article on that matter, where he asked a manufacturer about it.

And filler-free gouache can be used transparently as watercolor; I've found that Pebeo's "T7" reactivates quite nicely; I often use it for quick sketches instead of watercolor. I've had mixed-results with other brands thought.
>>
>>5662563
What's the most buttery smooth mechanical pencil lead brand that isn't some one in a lifetime shit you can only get in a Tokyo artisan crafts store?
>>
File: file.png (562 KB, 2021x1365)
562 KB
562 KB PNG
>>
>>5670138
Faber-Castell or better yet Mitsubishi Uni.
>>
What are some sketchbooks that’re good for pen/ink (especially fineliners)? I’ve been using some offbrand sketchbooks from the same brand for the past few years and they handle brush pens surprisingly well (they don’t bleed at all) but fineliners come out really rough and scratchy.
>>
>>5670138
It is less about brand and more about the led grade. I find pentel's 2B to be smooth enough for me, and I know they make 4B too.
>>
>>5670238
most mixed media sketchbooks will have thick, rough paper as it is better for painting. Look for sketchbooks made for markers, as they are usually smooth enough to take fine liners well and thick enough to work with pen brushes.
>>
File: 1587906360468.jpg (569 KB, 915x958)
569 KB
569 KB JPG
>>5668605
>>
How do you stop mice and rats eating the cadmium orange tube?
>>
File: winsor-min.png (1.32 MB, 2960x2488)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
What's the difference?
>>
>>5663765
Anything you actually will use.

An art store near me went out of business a couple months ago and I scored a bunch of tubes of cadmium and cobalt oils for $4 a tube, plus a $6 bucket of gesso and $10 gallon of gamsol. Pretty sweet deal.
>>
>>5670519
Winton fucking blows. Bought the titanium white once when i was too broke for artist quality, it was so weak it felt like I was using zinc instead.

In general, W+N artist quality is dependable, but their cheaper grades suck complete ass. I have no idea about the Chinese shit, I've never used it.
>>
>>5670546
What are you using now and recommend?
>>
>>5670519
i vaguely remember wetcanvas knowing something about the chinese winsor newton stuff, try googling up that.
id imagine theres a high chance of getting a bootleg if the seller isnt reputable. even maries apparently gets bootlegs unless the seller says theyre sourced directly from them, or something.
>>
>>5670555
it doesnt take much if all you want to do is paint. gamblin 1980 are pretty good. winton are alright, but ive had their cadmium red hue take weeks to dry.
>>
Which pencil lead is better? 2B or F?
>>
>>5670559
>>5670567
Thanks anon. I'm moving on from acrylic to oil paint because I'm sick of bright colors.
>>
Is “fineliner” a generic term for an ultra fine pen?
>>
>>5670584
you know you can take the intensity out of acrylic with mixing, right?
>>
>>5670586
pens with a fine felt tip. i dont think youd call a rapidograph a fineliner.
>>
>>5670656
it's still looks and feel plastic.
>>
>>5670584
Good choice. I think acrylics are more of an expert medium, too often used by beginners: as for watercolor, the fast drying time requires you to know precisely what you're doing, while oils are much more permissive, so you can take the time to learn to control your material.
>>
>>5670576
Depends for what. I'm sure there are some videos on YouTube that explain the matter in depth.

Basically, they will have different base value intensity, different particule size that will create a different texture. No absolute best, complementary.
>>
>>5662563
mfw I can't find certain art supplies on the internet. Spend a lot of time looking for suppliers and even paid expensive shipping from a gorillion miles away.
turns out my small town has a great art shop with everything I need
>>
What's the absolute basics I need to try some oil paintings? I'm going to do it indoors to start so I'm probably going solvent free.

Thinking about throwing together an order from Blicks, so if it's stuff from there it's simpler. Maybe I'll just try their brand of paints too, but not sure.
>>
>>5672385
Paint on small canvas so you get the feel for it. A palm sized ones should be good for the start.
>>
>>5670576
2B
>>
File: tyfydj.png (957 KB, 728x526)
957 KB
957 KB PNG
anyone do any printmaking here?
I'm interested in linocut and woodcut.
I know I need ink, linoleum/wood, gouges and paper, but is that it and what should I get specifically?

engravings and etchings also seem neat for later on, but
>>
>>5672385
White, black, warm brown. For later, yellow ochre, venitian red, ultramarine blue. Don't bother with medium. Follow the steps of some artists you like on YouTube, try to understand what they do and why. You can use gessoed paper as a cheap, smooth practice surface.
>>
>>5667967
>>5667969
It's not actually that bad if you are inside the EU. My order was under 150 euros so things went smoothly. Had to pay tax + handing charges to my postman, but I didn't pay UK tax OFC.
I plan to order more so I got in touch with support, it seems they will implement IOSS by the end of next week.

If you are in US, I think a reseller exists. Nothing for EU OFC...
>>
Could you let watercolor paint dry out and use as if they were pans?
>>
>>5673483
that's how pans are made in the first place.
>>
>>5663765
Sketch books, vellum, bristol paper, you can never have too many quality papers to draw/paint with and ordinarily they are overpriced so if you have the chance to get them cheap it's a good thing to hoard, doesn't take up too much space either.
>>
>>5670238
i was using a pentel pocket sketchbook for microns and other fineliners, didn't bleed through for me so I could use both sides of every page.
>>
why do people get white gouache with regular watercolors
>>
>>5674070
watercolor tints with the white of the paper, so you can't slap a highlight on as an afterthought. the opacity of white gouache lets you cheat that.
>>
>>5672943
For some reason I thought some kind of medium would be required. It's different gesso you want to use for oil painting vs acrylic painting right?
>>
>>5674070
>>5674089
I also watched a Marco Bucci video where he did a watercolor painting, and he mixed a tiny bit of white gouache in with basically every color. He said he likes to do that since it gives it more body
>>
>>5674104
We all do: I've bought 3 different mediums and made a fourth one with damar varnish/oil/turp. 2 of them that I'm likely to throw away, the third one (liquin) is drying up, and likely will follow the two first, the fourth I use in specific circumstances, and will use more in the future as my skills progress.

In the end, mediums are only really useful once you master the basics, that is, assuming you can draw reasonably well already, put and move paint convincingly on the canvas.

I strongly suggest to focus on that first and not to get too lost in technical aspects of oils, this is an easy way to lose time.
>>
>>5668605
I created three beautiful watercolor journals from all my supplies earlier this year and literally started using them only a few days ago. Why do we do it, bros?
>>
What brush types/sizes should someone start with?
>>
>>5674608
1" flat
1/2 flat
2, 4, 10 round
8 filbert
Depends on the technique but these should work well on paper and with watercolor, gouache and acrylic.
>>
>>5672858
You'll also want a piece of glass and a roller, so you can easily apply the ink to your finished lino/woodcut. If you plan on going beyond monochrome, you will need some way to align the layers. You *will* fuck it up if you try to do it by hand. That's about it.
>>
>>5672560
Not 2B
>>
>>5674608
couple rounds, couple flats. big and small of each, eg. 4, 14, .5", 2".
Big flat should just big a hake or other cheap goat wash brush.
Throw on a #1 round if you want to do ink linework.
>>
I have nearly enough shit to start my own art supply store.

My watercolor and gouache is so neglected, I have been fucking with acrylic lately but need to go back.
>>
File: rosetree.jpg (74 KB, 400x302)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>5674449
Procrastination.

Many people that ends up making their own paint are like that too.

The most intense example that come to mind is the guy behind handprint.com, which is a major ressource regarding pigments. The guy is so nerdy and thorough that one can only be confident in what he's telling.

Yet, picrel is one of his painting; I don't mean to be rude or anything, and I can only be thankful for the ressources he must have spent hours to provide for free, that's just so saddening.
>>
>>5675957
cont. see https://handprint.com/HP/WCL/pigmt3.html#painttests or https://handprint.com/HP/WCL/waterfs.html as example of the depth of exploration he's putting into this.
>>
File: 81sFUtJ+qcL._AC_SL1200_.jpg (200 KB, 1018x1200)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
Anyone know any other mixed media books with paper like this?
>>
>>5672858
David Bull on yt has a lot of videos about japanese woodprinting. If you don't know hin already, it's worth to take a look.
>>
File: 1623024516144.jpg (3.08 MB, 3120x4160)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB JPG
>>5675957
lol i know of him from his perspective stuff, he's the same way with that too.
not that i'm bitching tho, it's an interesting site.

>>5674449
I do the same stuff
>made vine charcoal from scratch
>been 10 months and I haven't used it
I think, for me at least, it's because making supplies that i'm happy with like this is actually attainable, while it feels like my actual art is crap.

anyway, imma let some walnuts i harvested dry so I can make ink and then not use it.
>>
>>5668605
>>5674449

I have a large collection of watercolor and oil paints and in the last 6 months the only tube I used was MG neutral tint. It's absurd, but look at it this way, watercolors can always be used even if tubes dry, so I have a lifetime supply.

>>5675957
Have you seen this: https://handprint.com/HP/WCL/ARCHIVE/WORKS9/rworks.html
I mean, it's not masterpieces but it's fine.

Also holy shit the man is finally writing a book: https://handprint.com/CE/book.html

A shame he's not doing WC tests: I want his opinion on PBk26. I thinking it's finally a good black to use.
>>
>>5677303
>https://handprint.com/HP/WCL/ARCHIVE/WORKS9/rworks.html
I think a core issue is his lack of edge control; that sharpness really makes things looks childish (to my taste, compared to other professional watercolorists).

>I want his opinion on PBk26
Send him an email!

>>5677280
I think a good way to get started is to make a few simple mastercopies, while taking your time. 2h is very short to produce great work on, say, a profile. Try to spend 5h, 10h. And use something dead simple like graphite and basic drawing paper.

Honestly, I've been toying around with many things, with little improvements overall, and the moment I started to stick to doing proper master copies, there have been a huge jump in the quality of what I could produce.
>>
>>5672978

Yeah I'm in the EU, I bought my last brushes from them right before Brexit. That's great news actually. Thanks for letting me know anon!
>>
>>5677337
I see what you mean, the separation between distinct objects pops up too much e.g. sea and sand. Softening the edges would help that, it's not like the man doesn't know how to do that. But I still have sympathy for his work, in the end it's not like my stuff is any better.
I don't think he'll respond to my emails, I only have gmail accounts! Check: https://handprint.com/HP/WCL/mail.html

>>5677413
No problem! I'll post the mini-review of the new brushes here, prolly in 2 weeks.
>>
>>5677280
>
Damn, that's very S0VLful setup. He needs to pick up that correction fluid and mechanical pen in the corner though
>>
>>5677467
I especially like the desk held up by 2 chairs taped together. i admire the determination, in spite of evident lack of materials, of the anon who made it.
I wonder where he is now, I think i fpund this image like half a year ago now.
>>
>>5663206
The best of the best is supposed to be W&N series 7 but it's horribly priced. Escoda Reserva are very good kolinsky brushes that won't break the bank (at least in Europe)
>>
What are some of your daily art carries like when you sketch outside?
>>
>>5663420
Am I the only one having shit experiences with Rosemary? I ordered around 120€ worth of brushes and a case. 3 of them came in damaged, splayed to the point of that I couldnt fix them with any known technique to get them back to their shape. Contacted customer support as soon as the package arrived, was actually super friendly and understanding that this could happen, but asked them for a way to make this right. They never responded. I have no clue how they can be this unprofessional in their shipping and complete lack of support/response when they ship fucked up brushes. Thx Youtube shills
>>
>have a shit ton of 11x17" paper (like a dozen packs of 500 sheets each)
>can't use any of it for postable work because my scanner only does 8½x11"
Thankfully it divides nicely into two 8½x11" sheets but I wish I could actually use the larger size for more detailed work
>>
>>5672385
For painting surfaces, give oil painting paper a chance. In general much better to work with than cheap canvases/panels. Bad painting surfaces can ruin the experience and make you give up. On the other hand decent canvas can be expensive and hinder your willingness to practice as much as you want.
>>
>>5678843
I only use the synthetic ones and they're the best ones out there. I often contact them because their handles are shit quality and they reply back but I never tried to replace the brushes, it's more of a suggestion which they never take but if I spend my money on their products then they have to hear me out.
Even got Rosemary herself to reply to me.
>>
Oh and I often end up using my Dremel and replace their shit handles with the ones from dead brushes that I have around, rinse and repeat. There's a reason their brushes are cheap, or were cheap.
Their flats are no good either but the rounds are really sharp.
>>
>>5678852
I wish I knew about 11x17 being available by the ream prior to a week ago. I'm salty about my inferior halfsized paper now.
if you don't have a flatbed scanner or the desire to cobble together a camera stand you could always chop the sheet in half after you draw
>>
>>5678843
Couldn't you return them? https://blog.rosemaryandco.com/returns-policy/
Maybe when you wet them they are no longer in "fully saleable condition"? I'd honestly pester them until I get a firm yes/no...
>>
>>5678843
Disappointing indeed. I bought travel brushes, well they came in a metal tube, so obviously undamaged. Yours is the first negative review I read on them. Dully noted.

I know like in some countries, by law, you have something like 7 days to return any product (except in special cases, like people abusing that law).

I'd suggest to contact them and politely ask for a change.

>>5678897
>There's a reason their brushes are cheap
I bought the "we cut the middleman" argument.

Is there any other well-known available brand besides W&N/Raphaël & Rosemary? Got one Da Vinci/Gerstaecker Kolinksi, hairs also was in a meh shape; on their cheaper brush, the glue holding the handle just doesn't stick.

>>5678377
Recently, a random sketchbook with a black fineliner and/or a watercolor sketchbook with a watercolor travel box and/or some gouache. Small formats.
>>
what grade of pencil do yall sketch with? 2H? HB?
>>
>>5680738
4b
>>
>>5680699
posting this here with a follow up question:
what about oil or water based paint?
>>
I like to do a lot of ink drawings as well as watercolors. What would suit my mediums better when it comes to the initial sketches?

>Hard leads, 2H-4H
>Colored lead

I won't really take advantage of the no-show blue for scanning purposes. I'm looking more for whatever will give me light, smudge-resistant lines that are easy to erase
>>
File: P-JASSILV.jpg (81 KB, 750x750)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>5680302
Rosemary often cheapens out on the varnish, it's random, you may get a good brush handle or one that will chip. I like the generic ones on Jackson's, other stores use a different branding but it's the same exact brush.
My favorites are the Pro Arte Polar brushes for rounds, they last a long time.
For synthetics you never know what you'll find, sometimes cheap brushes are better than W&N. For Kolinsky I stopped using some years ago as the quality was beyond usable.
>>
>>5662563
Is Deli Watercolor pencil decent for painting? They are the only option avaiable in my country but I afraid it is a waste of money
>>
>>5681466
I guess this would depend on if you're heavy handed when sketching? If you are I'd probably suggest colored lead over harder pencils because it's just going to leave a lot of grooves in the paper.
>>
>>5681679
Hum, yea sometimes I wonder how far cheap/generic brushes can actually go: I just bought a cheap big Chinese goat/nylon brush (~3$, was 50% off).

Hairs are undisciplined, they literally stink, but it works like a charm; naturally creates wonderful texture that I struggle to get with a similar-size, 10× more expensive, squirrel brush.

Thought, I still use a small fine Kolinsky for detailing.

Noted for Pro Arte Polar brushes.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.