[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 62 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 54e657892c56b_thumb.png (71 KB, 400x400)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
This is a thread to discuss all kinds of digital drawing hardware: non-display graphics tablets, pen display tablets, portable tablets and more.

If you have any additional questions, ask them.

>Recommended tablets:

Intuos 3 - Best screenless tablet. Look for one on Craigslist or Ebay.
Intuos 4, 5 & Pro - Also good options. Will burn through your nibs.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite - Budget portable display tablet. Very solid drawing experience with Wacom EMR tech, but a small 10.4" display area.
Used iPad Pro 2nd Gen 12.9" - Best option for a display tablet.
Galaxy Tab S7+ - Good premium alternative to an iPad Pro

>Avoid:

XP-Pen, Huion, Gaomon and every other Chinese brand - Poor build quality, lackluster pens, broken tilt, struggles to register light pressure, horrible customer support and the displays are not calibrated. All Chinese brands are basically the same because they're all centralized. Check out the webm to understand how bad they are. Also watch out, Chinese companies shill HARD on /ic/; they do a lot of samefagging and frequently hurl personal insults.
Microsoft Surface Pro - The N-Trig digitizer means you will always get wobbly lines.
Lenovo - Bad drawing performance because they're not designed with art in mind.
Cintiqs & other desktop display tablets - Overpriced, prone to problems and will lead to back posture issues.
iPads (brand new)
iMacs and Macbooks - Never buy this garbage under any circumstance. It's a locked ecosystem with rubbish hardware you can't upgrade.

Previous: >>5649488
>>
>>5672768
>>5672770
Yeah, the Surface Devices have basically had a major issue each generation, and given we're up to SP8, it's getting kinda pathetic.

SP4 has major screen flickering issues.
SP 5 has very common light bleed issues.
SP6 also has the light bleed.
SP7 can drop dead like flies depending on what model you have (there's large quality differences between batches, to the point where some don't even have their screens glued on right.

Metal Surface Laptops crack their sceens.

Surface Book breaks a lot too.

The new devices look cool, but it's a risk to buy them right out of the gate.

>>5672774
The battery charge life is better now.

The swelling remains present.

The swelling issues basically come from the hot intel chipsets slowly ruining the battery if you run intensive programs and let the surface run hot (which it runs super hot when charging anyways).
>>
Will we ever get an actual good 2in1?
>>
>>5672782
And yet again, there's a reason why professional artists ALWAYS prefer to use the Apple iPad Pro 12.9 instead of everything else.
>>
>>5672789
Retard
>>
What do you gain from shilling Wacom
You literally can’t deny it’s overpriced as fuck
>>
i'm looking for around like 8x5" working area drawing tablet

new Intuos matches specs for $200 CAD(160USD), but seems expensive for what it is
Is this my only/best option or do i opt for something else
OP mentioned Intuos 4/5 but it's not possible to get those new here. is there something wrong with the new one?CTL6100WLK0
>>
Is there any point in a dedicated pen display in the current year compared to a full fledged tablet? Wacom doesn’t seem to be keeping up at all with display quality
>>
>>5672788
Yeah. The Acer Concept D is fucking amazing.
>>
>>5672823
Intuos pro is the only intuos worth buying.

You could look at huion or xp pen in the size you want.
>>
If I get a matte screen protector for iPad eg bellemond, does that cause the Apple Pencil nib to wear out quicker?
>>
>>5673113
No unless you push down hard like a retard. Wrote this with my apple pencil.
>>
File: dwd.jpg (349 KB, 1600x900)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
>>5672887
pen display can be 22" or even 32" if you need, and wacom pens feel better than apple pend for a lot of people,
if youre doing only a doodles for your tranny patreons then you most likely not need pen display, if you're doing more serious illustrations,comics inking, something to do with sculpting or other 3d manipulations, then you most likely need real software and normal pen display
>>
How do you guys clean your tablets to get the friction back? I use a a paperlike on my iPad and when I first got it it was great, but now it feels slippery again
>>
>>5672813

Wacom is also half-chinese, they produce all their shit in China.
>>
I like my Huion 1060+
I've also used a thinkpad x230t to doodle once. It's bulky..
>>
Can someone direct me to a paperfeel-like screen protector for a 22 inch tablet?
>>
Work is buying me new shit
I can go either the m1 macbook + ipad 11 inch or the samsung s7 11 inch plus some windows laptop with a gpu
>>
>>5673543
You need to buy a new one, it wears out eventually
>>
Where's a good place to buy a 2nd gen ipad pro?
>>
>>5674778
Maybe swappa or facebook marketplace. Ebay if the seller is good.
>>
File: hamtaro2.png (370 KB, 613x705)
370 KB
370 KB PNG
what's the /ic/ approved bare minimum starter drawing tablet? I plan to draw 80% traditional 20% digital so I just want something that works to try digital on the side
>>
>>5674283
Get the apple shit because sidecar will work better than using the Samsung tablet as an external display on windows
>>
Is this Greta in OPs pic?
>>
I'm going to buy a Huion kamvas 13 (not the pro one)
Can i use it as a second monitor? what i want to know is if i can have CSP on it while watching some other shit like youtube on my main monitor.
>>
>>5674887
any drawing app on your phone and your finger
>cost: time to setup/learn the app and maybe a sore finger afterwards
>>
>>5674962
You can do that with any tablet. Just set it to extend mode instead of duplicate.

I sure hope you aren't thinking that huion is a standalone tablet like the ipad or galaxy tab s7. You can only use these things as duplicated or extended monitors.
>>
>>5674887
I have a Huion h640p, I'd say it's pretty alright.
>>
>>5674974
Yeah i know, i'm not that dumb when it comes to tablets, i'm also not the kind of person who likes drawing everywhere they go, i pretty much can only do in my room at 2am.
>>
>>5674869
Thanks, amazon didn't seem very trustworthy so I wasn't sure where else to look.
>>
>>5672768
What’s a good (preferably cheap) screen protector brand for iPad?
>>
Hey bros, if money and space isn't an issue, should someone new to digital drawing devices buy a huge Wacom like tablet?
Or should I just start with a 16" or smaller device instead/?
>>
File: file.png (1.32 MB, 1427x728)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
thinking about buying this?
But also kind of want to get something under 50
>>
>>5676310
I will once again recommend intuos3 as you dont need to worry about nibs, they last forever and you have touch strips that you can use to quickly zoom or change brush size. It was top of the line for a reason
>>
tfw I just went ahead and bought a 22 Cintiq because I needed a 2nd screen for programming and uni classes.
I suck with money but hey, it will serve multiple purposes so that's a win in my book.
>>
>>5676149
I think anything around the 22"-24" size is nice. Are you someone who likes to draw on big paper? Do you hate the idea of having to zoom in and out of your work constantly? Then get something at least that size.

Do you like drawing small, or dont mind zooming in and out all the time? Draw on 16". It's the smallest size I'd ever recommend to anyone. I will say the bigger tablets have a better resell value, but they sometimes take longer to find a buyer for.
>>
>>5676149
Wait are we talking screen tablets? If you arent talking about drawing on a screen just go for an intuos pro medium or large, whichever you like.
>>
>>5676310
I think that's kind of expensive for used.
>>
>>5674887
The cheapest Huion you can get your hands on

But if you have some extra cash, the cheapest Wacom you can get your hands
on

Some people will tell you size matters but I've spent a lot of time with small tablets, you'll be fine

>>5675270
Bellemond and Elecom. That being said, any cheap matte screen protector will do the job if you just want a textured feel. The only difference is how rough it is. The Paperlikes are the "premium" ones that do offer better visual clarity but they are expensive, scratch easily and aren't as rough.
>>
>>5676454
>>5676456
>I think anything around the 22"-24"
Yep I'm talking about display tablets, what are good options at that size?
I'm open to any brand as long as it's good value and good quality.
>>
File: file.png (369 KB, 1355x530)
369 KB
369 KB PNG
Already found a good cheap tablet $
Any tips on finding a good cheap pen for pic related?
>>
>>5676596
dont buy small one, its good for sculpting/coloring/photo stuff, but for drawing is too small, you want medium.
also dont buy used intuos 3 without pen, its not worth it, pens are not produced anymore therefore buing pen alone will be very expensive, its better to buy used tablet with pen when your pen breaks than buy pen alone, I know it pretty weird
>>
>>5676610
I have only 50 bucks to spend
any tips?
or should i wait until i can spend more money to get a proper one
right now i'm stuck with a deco 01 xp-pen
>>
>>5676615
I'd just wait and look for good offer, I bought intuos3 medium never used, complete box, for exactly 50$ year ago
>>
File: file.png (398 KB, 1351x592)
398 KB
398 KB PNG
>>5676628
would something like this be good
>>
>>5676489
I ordered some Bellemondes to try them out and will see how it goes.
>>
Anyone tried Xiaomi Pad 5?
>>
>>5676644
exactly same as mine, they also made widescreen one, but its not really essential to get it as you can restrict work area little bit in drivers setting and match aspect ratio of your monitor if this will be bothering you, if pen is not fucked up this is a great tablet
>>
>>5676644
>>5676693
the 6x11 is the good one yeah. I have the medium and use it without mapping, I feel you lose too much after cutting the work area imo. If you can find a 6x11 for a bit more it's very much worth it. Since you live in US this shouldn't be a problem.

>>5676672
I saw some reviews and the jitter is unacceptable. Go for the S7, surface pro 8 or ipads if you like iOS.
>>
>>5676530
Your options are Wacom Cintiq Pro in that size, or anything 22 or 24 from Huion or XpPen as long as it was released within the last year.
>>
>>5676791
There are both a Huion 22 Plus (released last year) and a 24 plus that apparently have identical specs inside except for the bigger screen and jump from FHD to QHD, does the 22 still make sense right now? It's super affordable imo.
My initial reaction was to go for the Cintiq 22 but it seems like it's so outdated and outclassed at this point that it's a complete meme buy in this size bracket, but damn it's expensive still.
>>
So I'm looking to move up from a screenless tablet. I was thinking possibly a Cintiq Pro 16, but I see Cintiq is in the avoid category. What would be a good equivalent to that?
>>
>>5676808
You want QHD bare minimum at that size.
>>
>>5676921
Cintiq pro is what you should buy if you buy a Cintiq. Regular Cintiq that do not have "pro" in the name are not worth it.

If you're looking to avoid Wacom for some reason, Huion makes a solid 16" pro, and XP pen just came out with the x3 chip 16" tablet that has a real nice stylus.
>>
>>5676977
good to know, at 16" its not a problem right?
>>
Does anyone own both the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite and the Galaxy Tab S7+? How does the experience compare? I'm looking for an Android drawing tablet that I can also use for reading and watching livestreams sometimes.
Money isn't an issue but I don't want to buy overpriced hardware if something cheaper gets the job done in the same way.
>>
>>5672768
c'mon why do you have to use Aaron's photo? it hurts my eye to view that photo.
>>
>>5677033
At 16", 2k or 4k resolution looks really nice but no its not necessary at all.
>>
>>5677463
Ty anon!
>>
Wacom SEA's youtube channel accidentally a video about a Cintiq 16 Pro refresh a few d ays ago. It's gone now. New cintiq pros coming soon I'm guessing by CES 2022
>>
>>5677811
Got any links or pics?
Can we get excited for once or are they gonna fuck up with the specs and price yet again?
>>
My Intuos just died, finally making a switch to a display. XP Pen Pros seem alright, the ones with the red circle. Is that safe to buy?
OP post sounds retarded, I'm not buying another "premium" Wacom product that's going to die on me like the two previous "premium" Wacom products did and I'm not drawing on a tiny iPad screen, that's just sad
>>
>>5678234

Artist 15.6 Pro is safe, XP-pen sorted out most of their faults with that model.
>>
>>5678234
There is literally nothing you can't do on a 12.9 Apple iPad Pro
>>
>>5678234
what model? maybe it can be fixed. I repaired few intuos 3 and one graphire over the years for myself and friends, it was always the cable. fix was buying 2 dollars usb cable and resoldering.
above intuos 3 the started making them worse, with planned obsolescence, nibs wearing out like crazy, scratches appearing fast, and even buttons falling off.
>>
>>5677888
Sorry, no pics or evidence.
This was it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJoLQh9A0Mk
They didn't give specs, just some new quality of life stuff like a switch to turn touch on and off and buttons on the back

Apparently they'll be at GITEX this coming week, so maybe they'll reveal something there.
https://twitter.com/wacom/status/1443078088619962368
>>
>>5678558
I swear if thats ALL they have in store for the new models Im fucking done with Wacom entirely.
And if they dont slash the prices even for $100-$200 I dont think Ill be the only one over with them, they deserve to fail from a dumb decision at this point.
>>
>>5678406
Yeah I just bought that. Looks good enough for me
>>5678491
Intuos 5, yep first thing I tried is I got another cable, had one on me. Didn't work, trying other USB ports also didn't work. Whatever, it already kind of fell apart, the bit on the left with the buttons fell off a year ago or so, I'm amazed it still worked for a while after that
>>
>>5678596
They only thing they can really add that's worthwhile it is a 120hz screen, maybe make it fanless? The Cintiq pro line was already as close to a perfect drawing experience as you could get. Full adobeRGB coverage, pro pen 2, fairly bright, 4k. What else did you need exactly?
>>
>>5671848
Thanks for the reply.
Have you had any issues with blooming when working on darker drawings? Say something black & white.

I have a 11" from 2020 for the record and thinking of getting & 12.9" in the future, I just don't want to get an A12Z again and would appreciate the better processor and more RAM of the M1.
>>
>>5679025
>>5679027
Retard
>>
>>5679031
It's ok to vent anon. What are upsets you?
>>
File: Strawberry.jpg (75 KB, 900x900)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
I got reached out to by Huion for an artist collaboration and they told me I could ask for any product without price limit, does anyone have recommendations? I have an iPad already, I've never had a monitor tablet, but I've heard horror stories about intolerable lag.
>>
>>5678876
To not be outrageously expensive in a world were the competitors already matched their output at half the price sometimes.
>>
good day bros
retard here who used to draw with my finger with my redmi note 8 pro
I got that stylus thing with the clear disk thing as you describe
oh boy you wouldn't believe how happy my pointy finger is now.
it doesn't have pressure sensitivity nor palm rejection as expected but for the price, accuracy, and sensitivity, I would say its a good buy especially for on the go drawfaggin.

So I would recommend that for drawfags who have an existing smartphone and want to test the waters of digital drawing, this clear disk stylus is definitely a good option.

btw; I also tried some active capactive stylus pens -- these are styluses that are still only capacitive (no pairing) but they have a really small tip that is enabled by battery power and cost significantly more than ""dumb"" styluses, the ones with silicon tips are not centered, but still sensitive and you have to get used to that offset. The ones without silicon are centered and sensitive but has a metal tip and it didn't really scratch the screen but its just about to, I think.

I also tried those rubber tips stylus and I found them to be quite predictable, probably because I am used to drawing with my fat fingers, sensitivity/accuracy is something that you can get used to but why do that when you have other more reasonable options, right?

Thanks for reading.
>>
File: 1628392279174.jpg (93 KB, 790x790)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>5677447
If nobody owns both, I'd like to hear opinions on the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite. Does it still hold up well?
>>
>>5679538
I have an S6 lite. I like that it doesnt weight too heavy and it doesnt kill my wrist when holding it for long periods. But for drawing, I wish it has a wider screen size since the ratio is 8:5, tall but not wide enough. Also, 4gb ram can be an issue with my drawing software so I always kill background apps to avoid lag. Get the tablet with a bigger screen size for drawing. S8 ultra is also around the corner at 14 inches if money, size and weight isnt an issue.
>>
>>5672768
Why is pixel density still so horribly low, when do we get 600 ppi screen tablets?
>>
Been considering finally upgrading from my Intuos 4, but I'm having trouble finding any tablets with the nifty LED screen feature. the closest I'm seeing is the XENCELABS medium bundle with the LED remote device, but I'm skeptical of it's actual build quality or anything else. Is there anything else out there that still has this feature and is good?
>>
>>5679679
is that display essential for you? you're changing keys often and forget what they do?
as far I know this is not something found on tablets anymore, seems like one time thing, the only similar thing is the remote controller you mentioned
>>
>>5676310
I have this tablet. I put a piece of plastic on the surface and never changed the nib in a year I have it. Works fine for me. Why dont you buy it new?
>>
>>5679858
bought something different but I'm a cheap fucker
>>
>>5679795
it's very much a thing I use because I'm going between multiple programs with my tablet, and memorizing buttons for each thing is very much a pain
Like, sure, I have undo and redo bound to the same each time, but anything else has to be reorganized specifically for the program. plus, it acts as a streamdeck when needed.
>>
i have a windows 7 computer, what big sized screen tablets are ok to use? I know most new ones are going to be for 10+ only and i dont want to ever use windows 10. was wondering if there are any other anons still on 7 without a tablet from 09-15.
>>
>>5680454
>i dont want to ever use windows 10
you know they can see your cp stash on windows7 too?
>>
>luna display now works on windows
anyone tried luna display with ipad pencil?
is it laggy?
>>
>>5680750
what is this?
>>
>>5680454
You know people still make drivers that work on win 7, and you can use old versions of drivers for that OS, right?

Also, why no windows 8?
>>
Just got a new iPad Pro m1 for music production and want to learn drawing. Best apps?
>>
File: 31313.png (18 KB, 800x210)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
Is this thread a meme or are you people just poor?
>>
>>5681616
procreate, unless you like subscription services
>>
is there any recommendation on how to correctly hold your pen? i'm holding my pen the same way i would for traditional drawing methods but my hand feels tense faster.
>>
>>5681692
are you socially awkward or just stupid?
>>
Questions about Data Cables for my old Intuos Pen & Touch (CTH-680/S)
1. Are there any specific requirements for buying Data Cables for this old wacom of mine?
2. Will all new cables work with it, or do I have to look for an older model?
3. Will any USB Data Cables work, not just Wacom branded ones? Are there any disadvantages to using them instead?
>>
>>5680750
As soon as the dongle arrives I'll give it a good run-through
>>
What shortcut keys peripheral(s) should I get for a pen display? I've seen the remotes, mini keyboards, and devices like the Tourbox. Will getting a pen display with touch make things more accessible? The main two programs the pen display will be used for are Photoshop and CSP.
>>
>>5680750
We're waiting for AstroPad Windows.
>>
>>5672768
what seems more value for money, a used Cintiq 21UX (DTK-2100/K) which doesn't come with pen for $200 AUD or $150 USD or Wacom Cintiq 22HD Touch which supposedly was only used once and is brand new for $750 AUD or $550 USD?
>>
How do you know if you need small or medium sized tablet? Is it from how big your monitor is? I use 21.5" monitor, is small tablet ok?
>>
>>5682566
if you are left handed just get an mmo mouse
>>
File: file.png (675 KB, 1347x1331)
675 KB
675 KB PNG
screen protectors yee or nah?
>>
>>5682889
i used small for some time, not worth buying for drawing, get medium, it doesnt have anything to do with monitor, small tablets are for people who do photo editing once in a while, maybe for just coloring or sculpting, but for drawing you need some range of motion
>>
>>5681816
no im bad at digital art

but IK NOW I CAN CREATE ANYTHING

so, I'm gonna. hru
>>
>>5683082
What if my drawing ability is limited to small sketches in an a5 paper notepad
>>
>>5683092
1. you're bullshitting yourself
2. my intuos medium is same as a5, small is around a6
3. keep in mind tablet relates to resolution of your whole screen, try to imagine 1920 vertical points on a6 tablet, its just harder to be accurate with such small area
4. if you buy bigger tablet but decide to go full retard you can always limit the drawing size active area, and effectively have smaller tablet,
when you buy smaller you're stuck
pls upvote
>>
>>5682798
The 22HD
>>
>>5681692
Our OP is weird. Just ignore his lists, nobody here agrees with that shit.

Show us your tablet when it arrives and let us know the good and bad about that thing. I've been thinking about getting that 24" but I'm not decided between that or the huion yet
>>
>>5683092
Just go medium, small is too small to work with comfortably.
>>
how many inches is considered small?
>>
>>5683469
Anything under the size of A4 paper is considered small. Normally small tablets are around the size of an index card or post it note.
>>
File: wacomint3-01.jpg (64 KB, 1496x1122)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>5683598
>Anything under the size of A4 paper is considered small.
wacom used to name tablets
a6-small
a5-medium
a4-large
the small one in picture you could always tell because it had buttons only on left side
>>
Is the OP just a bait?
>>
XP-Pen any good?
>>
>>5683724
if you like wobbly lines and cheap springy nibs in pen then its perfect choice for you
>>
>>5683724
Just get an Apple iPad Pro 12.9 instead.
>>
What screen protector, if any would you recommend for an ipad 12.9?
Also why the fuck are you children doing thread wars like this is /vg/, knock it off
>>
Hows this? Its the only one I find in local tech shops.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.