[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 33 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why are art schools majority women?
>>
>>5679036
women are more inclined to pursue schooling due to temperament
>>
>>5679036
Go draw.
>>
>>5679036
Because I said so
>>
>>5679043
because there is no math
>>
They had sex.
>>
File: damn.gif (312 KB, 498x498)
312 KB
312 KB GIF
>>5679036
women aren't pressured to pursue careers that actually earn money, so they go to school for the thing they want to do
>>
>>5679036
...is that true

god dammit why do they have to be so expensive
>>
>>5679036
The same reason why construction workers is majority men.
>>
>>5679077
You should always go to school for what you want to do
>>
women are less capable of critical analysis or doing things without someone telling them how on average
thats the 4chan answer at least, and probably has a little bit of merit. but it's probably just that it's more straightforward and most of them have it easier getting into schools than men because parents are way more likely to pay their way through everything than men, and pursuing things they like instead of muh money
>>
>>5679036
art schools are scams that attract naive retards. simple as.
>>
>>5679043
Also art is all about people
>>
>>5679079
I mean, it's not that bad, for a thousand or so you can get one from the Ukraine to be your wife
>>
>>5679036
Women are more artistically inclined.
>>
>>5679388
and less skilled (in any field)
>>
>>5679036
because they don't need to worry about their future
>>
>>5679498
this
>>
>>5679036
men have to be concerned about becoming a breadwinner, and art has the stereotype of making no money. Meanwhile, women often aren't expected to become breadwinners
Art in modern day has a lot of stereotypes of being feminine, and a guy who likes art often will be stereotyped as gay or feminine. The whole idea of being "artsy" or aesthetic also appeals to the female sense a lot. Of course mostly old masters were men, but because art has such a broad definition now, most art hobbyists are women. Always considered art career-wise to be geared towards men while art generally as a whole or hobby is enjoyed by women
>>
File: ARB.jpg (3.74 MB, 3262x4982)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB JPG
>>5679348
this
>>
File: Lois van Baarle.jpg (380 KB, 2149x702)
380 KB
380 KB JPG
>>
File: Emmy Cicierega.jpg (52 KB, 534x202)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>
File: Tom Bancroft.jpg (391 KB, 2149x702)
391 KB
391 KB JPG
>>
File: Stephen Silver.jpg (149 KB, 484x623)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>
File: Bahi JD.gif (3.9 MB, 749x1050)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB GIF
Art schools and indeed colleges in general in the US exist to prey on young adults at one of most vulnerable part of their lives where they're facing extreme pressure from ignorant and out of touch parents into pursuing a "degree" at all costs with total disregard for the unnatural inflation of tuition rates or general market conditions. Art schools, like all of the other communist rats' nests that we've graciously refrained from burning to the ground with the faculty still inside for these past 25 years, ought to be simply ignored and abandoned by anyone of good character until they shrivel up and die; a vampire can't survive without young blood.

If you're in Europe you can and should go to art school for a couple years, just look fondly back on them after you graduate to cope with the 40% income and 20+% sales tax/VAT you'll be burdened with until the moment you get beheaded with a scimitar by your new neighbors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpwAOHJsxg
>>
>>5680938
That's nice and all but how do you land your first industry job without school networking as a reference
>>
I want to go to art school to meet like-minded women but I'm 28, is it too late for me
>>
>>5680966
Try actually talking to people, if you're "friends" with a working artist on Facebook and you're not a total autistic retard there's a good chance they'll respond back if you're tactful (i.e. you actually engage with them for quite a while and aren't HURR asking them for a job within a couple weeks of adding them).
>>
>>5679348
pyw, lets see where self teaching has gotten you so far
>>
>>5680968
>like minded
so your an SJW?
>>
>>5680996
Women believe whatever you tell them to believe, I'm talking about artistic traits
>>
>>5679348
so women?
>>
File: belvis.jpg (355 KB, 1000x800)
355 KB
355 KB JPG
>>5680988
Here's a better idea, join all of the various facebook drawing groups and scope out how many of them have degrees and are still "medium beg" or "low intermediate". Many people go to school and very few make it, and the degree isn't the deciding factor. Would you really want to work in "the industry" with where it's at right now anyway when the opportunity for self employment and freelance is better than it may have ever been historically? Well, maybe that was the case ten years ago but everything is so fucked that the notion of spending fifty-fucking-thousand dollars a year on art school is absolutely comical
>>
>>5681002
where do people get references for this king of stuff
>>
>>5681006
kind*
>>
>>5681006
I use 3D models either from Proko or free from Sketchfab

https://pastebin.com/zxDX5sH7

Proko's models are the best but a lot of these models in this text bin are pretty good. Enjoy!
>>
File: ASK.jpg (3.94 MB, 1752x6197)
3.94 MB
3.94 MB JPG
>>5681036
Also if you want a college drawing course here you go

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheDrawingDatabaseMarcLeoneNKUsota/playlists

Free on youtube. I have a lifetime membership to New Masters Academy and other online material which is a bit more topical for me but this guy is just fine-and its a good starting point for those with the patience. Information and education is everywhere and the last thing someone in the prime of their life needs is to enter their adulthood owing a bank $100,000 for a few years of middling or even completely inapplicable education in a field with zero guarantees. If you're going to college in this current year you're going because you're doing a hard science, engineering or something that absolutely 100% cannot be attained without access to absurdly expensive equipment and hands on training from a professional. Art is not one of those things. Get a part time job, find some "pay as you go" art classes/an atelier and cram as hard as you can and you WILL make it (unlike me).
>>
>>5680961
Sounds like the USA is a shithole
>source: I live here
>>
>>5679348
>I major in art and get 8k a year in scholarship refunds
I feel good now but I fear for the future
>>
For artists connections and social skills can be very important - you'll get neither with self study.
>>
everyone knows art school doesn't do shit but i wanna go there to fuck and make some likeminded friends but that doesn't even come close to justifying spending a retarded amount of money on it
>>
File: 1603405138273.jpg (50 KB, 598x574)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
MAMMARY GLANDA
>>
>>5679305
If you're a man, then its not so simple since they are conditioned to be the providers and breadwinners of the family unit, so they pursue careers that make them lots of money, not make them happy.
>>
>>5679058
oh god imagine thinking this in a field riddled with geometry.
>>
>>5679036
mmm
mm mmm
booba
>>
>>5679036
wow she looks retarded
the artist must hate women
>>
File: 1633295878893.jpg (43 KB, 462x286)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>5680925
I still want to go to art school despite knowing this. I know it won't get me a job, but I don't want to continue this bullshit where I work 8 hours a day five days a week on shit I don't care about, and only get to spend maybe like 3 on the stuff I actually want to do. I'd rather just shell out the money so I can have those four years of being able to focus on exclusively art and not stress about wage slaving other than maybe a part time job. In my eyes the person that's working 9-5 and coming home to draw 3 hours a day will never beat the art student that actually applied themselves and spent 8-12 hours a day drawing. Mileage is important and they're getting double to triple the amount of time you have to learn
>>
>>5679036

Majority of all schools are women in 2021
>>
>>5681470

Im with you, learning on your own is pretty lonely, with art schools you have peers, a built in community, teachers to get feedback from and who will tell you what to focus on, plus classes with grades to keep you committed. On your own its basically trial and error and your own willpower and mental fortitude.
>>
>>5682068
doing geometry without numbers is fun

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.