[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 36 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Anyone else doing this? I have to say I'm surprised how long it is, these exercises are no joke, especially since you're not allowed to rush. Realistically I think it will take like 6 months to finish the whole course.
>>
I made, like, 50 boxes and dropped it. Too fucking boring. I prefer the chink he stole the content.
>>
>>5679324
I agree it's boring but that's what makes me feel like I'm learning. I'm generally wary of methods that prioritize being "fun" because that means they're not prioritizing utility/efficiency
>>
Honest question, why do DrawABox instead of Peter Han? DrawABox guy even said he learned from Peter Han. You're drinking from recycled toilet water when you can get from the river
>>
Tried it. Dude is way too autistic athoritirian which pisses me off in most cases. First you need to read my long winded explanation of the exercise, make sure you read it all and don't skip ahead to the exercise. Then you must do the exercise in the exact way I tell you for the exact amount I tell you, don't grind it. And you must do it with an expensive fine liner. Make sure you waist all that ink these basic exercises.
I do get how these exercises can improve skill, but just drawing every day with cosistancy builds that same skill. There is no substitute for milage.
Plenty of people have learned how to draw, teenages have learned how to draw. It's not rocket science. And sure most of them didn't follow a strict autistic structure. His way isn't the only way.
>>
>>5679321
i think i took me around two months i drew everyday but not sure how much is added compared to when i did it in the past
>>5679330
>prioritize being "fun"
they dont actually give a shit about that. they only say that to appeal to majority of artists who do it for fun
>>5679373
i did it when he was actively giving feedback before he made the website and all that
>>
Seems like a /beg/ trap.
>>
>>5679373
I heard of DrawABox first, thought it looked good, read some reviews and saw they're generally positive, and decided to do it. I can't change now that I've decided to do it. I know from experience (from /fit/) that not following through is exactly how you never make it. Everyone who sticks to a program and follows through is gonna make it, even if the program isn't perfect.
>>5679374
It's a good critique, I see where you're coming from. I actually like the security of knowing that I can't possibly be practicing wrong because the instructions and expected outcome of each exercise are so autistically well-defined. There is literally 0 chance that I do not improve as long as I follow the program.

Pic related is how I can draw now, I have never seriously practiced or followed a course before and I don't feel like I can make any more improvement on my own
>>
>>5679321
Looking back on it now. I honestly felt it was pretty bad. Espically for someone starting out. Alot of it feels like your doing things without actually understanding because of how boring it really is. The autism about the making lines right in the first stroke takes away from the focus on perspective.
>>
>>5679422
Did you finish the whole thing?
>>
>>5679321
I would personally avoid things that aren’t fun.
>>
File: ridiculous_jap.jpg (378 KB, 1024x683)
378 KB
378 KB JPG
Drawabox is good IC is just contrarian
>>
>>5679785
sometimes you need to tackle some subjects you find boring and push through in order to grow up
>ex: fags that complain about primitive still life
>>
>>5679374
>autistic authoritarian
i'm aware of myers-briggs and jordan peterson's big 5, but what test do you take that "autistic authoritarian" is a personality trait?
>>
>>5679321
>6 months
Wtf anon. It took me two weeks to finish this garbage course.
>>
>>5680271
>garbage
What makes you say it's garbage?
>>
>>5680271
Did you even do the exercises as prescribed, or just read all the articles? If you skimmed the whole thing in 2 weeks obviously you would not gain anything from it.
>>
>>5679813
How much do you think this babe charges for a hand job?
>>
>>5680283
$1000
>>
>>5680283
Lol she has such a horse face, what are you talking about Anon?
>>
>>5680283
Two Fiddy
>>
>>5680283
I just realized the Japanese probably fuck on the floor, same as how they eat and sleep on the floor
>>
>>5679813
Her ass looks detached from her body, bad perspective
>>
>>5680310
I sleep on a jap mat
Can confirm I fuck on the floor
>>
I did lesson one and then moved on as the 250 box challenge was killing my joy.

Also checked out the ribbons on organic forms and looked a little at the animal construction.
>>
>>5680324
Yeah it's gonna suck. This shit is annoying already.
>>
If you're not having fun then you should be doing something else.
>>
>>5679778
fuck no, it was so fucking boring and doing boxes over and over like that I had no way to apply it or try to reinforce the knowledge. Its boxes without meaning
>>
>>5680899
I don't believe this in principle.
>>5681004
I know I need to complete those boxes at the very least, because that's what seems to filter everybody. I refuse to get filtered by the boxes.
>>
>>5679330
The reality of learning is that "fun" things are way easier to learn. Fun creates novelty which activates your mind and keeps you focused, fun builds connections to other emotions/experiences which is essential for learning, and it lowers the burden of motivation required to engage.
The reason many teachers are moving towards gameification and "fun" learning is because it's infinitely more effective and efficient by every single metric.
The guy who did DAB is a self-taught artist and programmer. They're a devoted hobbyist. The 500 boxes challenge was literally a shitpost he accidentally stumbled on I an attempt to get a monkey off his back. He has no formal training or significant knowledge of educational theory, data analysis, art education, behavioral psychology, or any other field which would allow him to design an efficient course. The whole of DAB was him throwing shit at a wall and keeping what stuck. You got fucking tricked by one of the easiest psychological fallacies in the book.
>>
>>5681034
if your going to do it make it worth while and apply it to something such as objects you can observe.
>>
>>5679374
>>5679422
>>5681047

He literally says to spend at most half of your time drawing doing the exercises and the other half of the time doing things you want to do. E.g. other studies, random things you want to draw, etc..

>>5681047
>The guy who did DAB is a self-taught artist and programmer. They're a devoted hobbyist. The 500 boxes challenge was literally a shitpost he accidentally stumbled on I an attempt to get a monkey off his back. He has no formal training or significant knowledge of educational theory, data analysis, art education, behavioral psychology, or any other field which would allow him to design an efficient course. The whole of DAB was him throwing shit at a wall and keeping what stuck. You got fucking tricked by one of the easiest psychological fallacies in the book.
Just because one doesn't have significant knowledge of educational theory, data analysis, or whatever, doesn't mean you can't make a good or efficient course. Similarly, even having that knowledge doesn't guarantee you'll make a worthwhile or efficient course. Your reasoning is a fallacy in and of itself.
>>
>>5681047
Then why's it in the sticky?
>>
>>5681315
The sticky is a /beg/trap made by someone who grinded so hard their hands broke and ended up not making it. It's essentially a top tier unintentional crab move.
>>
>>5681300
>He literally says to spend at most half of your time
That doesn't excuse the course. With that half of your time you could be doing a much more effective course.
>doesn't mean you can't make a good or efficient course
It does, frankly speaking. A good course teaches as many students as possible a given set if information in as little time as is necessary, while also maximizing several other factors. To do that you either need knowledge of one of those fields or enough experience to have trial-and-error'd your course into efficiency and the DAB guy has neither.
>Similarly, even having that knowledge doesn't guarantee you'll make a worthwhile or efficient course.
Water is required to live and yet drinking water doesn't guarantee you'll live. Does this mean you don't need to drink water? Obviously not.
X being required for Y means you need X always, even if Y isn't a sure bet.
>>5681315
>why's it in the sticky?
Because you touch yourself
>>
>>5680868
Protip: Ellipses are made of four symmetrically identical quadrants.
>>
>>5681526
How about you draw me a page of perfect ellipses and then you can talk
>>
>>5681342
>With that half of your time you could be doing a much more effective course
what course would that be
>>
>>5681624
Dynamic sketching
>>
>>5681678
>$700
>A waitlist
Yeah, no thanks. If I'm going to pay that kind of money I might as well go to the local community college or get tutored by an artist in a real studio. Not for a drawabox variant just because you claim it's better.
>>
>>5681047
>He has no formal training or significant knowledge of educational theory, data analysis, art education, behavioral psychology, or any other field which would allow him to design an efficient course

In my experience very few educators actually know how to teach. They might be good at what they do but they don't care about teaching it as efficient as possible. I'm watching Vilppu now after I've done drawabox for a few months and the DAB guy is a much better teacher. Vilppu is definitely good at what he does but his teaching is mostly just drawing without much explaining or method.
>>
>>5681822
Are you kidding? Vilppu is a much better teacher. He explains concisely while he shows you how to do it. Peter Han is the same with drawing demonstrations and brief explanation. They don't need an essay page and 4 videos to show you how to do one exercise.
>>
>>5681588
Just make the box and THEN the ellipse. Its 100x easier this way.

>>5681822
Anon, you are missing half the point. Not sure if you notice this during video courses but half of it is observing HOW the person moves the pencil or how they think while they do art. For example, the BIGGEST takeway funnily enough from the Villpu courses wasn't the anatomy, or the gesture drawing, etc, its HOW he moves the pencil and constantly thinks of X / Y coordinate planes to make sure things are even. Also, you'll notice he holds his pencil in the MIDDLE as well.

Its the minor things that help me along Anon as I take focus on small things. I agree with some of your points in that Vilppu assumes you know everything about anatomy as well and doesn't hand hold you through it like I wish he did honestly. I've come to realize, if you want to learn Anatomy, just check out the Hampton and Bridgman books because everything else is garbage or rehashing either of these two people's works. Maybe Hogarth would be good too, but yeah, just treat them as references.

If anything, in the modern era, just use Blender to rig up wireframe models so you can practice good gesture drawings as a result.
>>
>>5681781
Dude, biggest advice Anon, don't be a faggot and actually pay for shit. Wait until the beginning of the month for the "Batman Mega" thread to appear on /ic/, you'll notice it with the Batman picture.

Then, grab a $20 "Mega" account. Then, buy a 4TB external HDD (or internal HDD if you know how to install it yourself), and download all the courses you want INCLUDING DYNAMIC SKETCHING.

I've already skimmed Dynamic Sketching, and honestly, its just a video supplement to the book. To be fair, Anon, the first half of the book is very good in terms of having you think in terms of wireframes for normal objects. Past that, it turns into a book on "How to draw animals, or how to draw vehicles and machinery" etc, which easily could be replaced by any one of Scott Robertson's books, or a good animal anatomy book instead.

I would just literally use the wireframe techniques that Peter Han uses, maybe watch a few of his YouTube videos on his concept art sketch creation stuff, and move onto the next teacher. Just want to save you some time Anon.
>>
>>5681833
Wrong. 'Feel the form', 'feel the tension' , 'feel the rythm' >feel feel feel on repeat for 2h isn't explaining it concisely retard. The only way you get anything out of his lectures it to take a lot of notes on what he's actually drawing, not what he's saying, which is just much more time consuming than if he actually explained exactly what he's doing. Meanwhile the DAB guy's lessons are well sectioned and provides a ton of examples of common mistakes that it's almost impossible to fail if you actually read what's in there.
>>
>>5679321
I took one look at the art of the drawabox mongo and decided to skip this horseshit. do you honestly think that great artists sat around drawing fucking boxes for months??? but i guess this is a good way for people to procrastinate even more while pretending to learn something and be productive lmao. what a crock of SHIT
>>
>>5681881
>Do you think great artists sat around drawing boxes for months
Yes. Maybe not directly, but what every great artist has in common is that they DID draw 500 boxes, and more in the course of their practice.
>>
>>5681847
I've skimmed that DAB course, and honestly, I can say it is complete garbage and overhyped shit. Just learn Blender instead and tweak perspective boxes accordingly
>>
>>5682002
Agreed
>>
>If you want to draw just read the sticky
>but actually the sticky is shit, because stuff in it, like DAB, is shit
>The people it copies from is also shit
>So just get a paper and draw whats right in front you
>But if you spend your time just doodling, you're not gonna make it
>>
>>5682061
Dumbass, the "Just Draw" advice isn't doodling. It means GO OUT IN THE WORLD AND DRAW WHAT YOU SEE. Are you fucking dense?
>>
>>5682080
You'll never get good by doing this.
>>
>>5682106
Yes you will. Critiquing yourself in terms of how these same drawings "could be better" then creates different points of study to then focus on. Only asshole crabs say otherwise.
>>
>>5682109
This.
/thread
>>
>>5682080
Do you not understand the concept of doing drills? The construction phase of making a drawing is the hardest part and also the most crucial, yet it represents a tiny percentage of the time you spend on a drawing. You'll improve faster if you take a few months to grind drawing boxes and cylinders from different perspectives than if you only make whole finished drawings for practice. It's the same reason why sports teams don't just practice by playing the sport.
>>
>>5682121
No retard, you can do the same by just cheating with things like Blender to rig up exact anatomical models than wasting your life (HOURS, DAYS) doing fucking boxes. Get a grip Anon.
>>
>>5682130
Yeah, and you can save time drawing by just taking photographs and printing them out
>>
>>5679321
Do we rotate the paper/wrist to make some of the lines? Or is the correct way trying to make the different lines with our hand/paper in the same position?
>>
>>5682159
You're allowed to rotate, the point is to practice drawing with your whole arm and in a fluid motion instead of making small wiggly lines from the wrist
>>
>>5682121
why in the FUCK would I waste my time doing drills to draw fucking boxes and cylinders when I can do drill actually drawing the shit I eventually want to bring to a finish? All this drawabox construction shit has warped all your minds. But keep drawing boxes over and over and stay BEG. Enjoy it
>>
>>5682309
So, I won't need to make lines from right to left (right handed), like doing a sea urchin?
>>
File: image(1).jpg (130 KB, 383x500)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>5679324
>I prefer the chink
But why? Every time I see DAB on this board I see people saying "just watch dynamic sketching" or "just read scott robertson" but they can never be bothered to explain why. Why is the condensed version not better?
>>
>>5681342
Nice strawman, dumbass.
>>
>>5682524
Post your work
>>
>>5682722
I'm still on lesson 1, but as far as I can tell, he never asks you to do that.
>>
>>5683177
Nice. Is there a book as well or only his site?
>>
>>5682524
uinironically post your work
>>
This ninja only got like 7 lessons and every time I see people mention him they show boxes or ellipses. I assume 99% of people that try it never make it past the first box challenge part.

If I was making a school where I wanted to make sure I weed out lazy fucks I would make this course or dynamic sketching be the first thing students do.
>>
The onions aura that surrounds the narrator is so painful, but Im gonna push through this, its a five dimensional, spiritual rite of passage for me.
>>
>>5683799
Yeah everyone who thinks DAB is bad just got filtered
>>
File: chadteen.jpg (115 KB, 953x1020)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
Before Draw A box
>>
File: exer.jpg (1.25 MB, 2480x3508)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
>>5683911
Draw A box
>>
File: cd.jpg (1.54 MB, 2771x2519)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
>>5683913
After Draw a box
>>
>>5683915
Her pussy literally looks like a trans wound
>>
>>5683915
Thanks for confirming dab is shit.
>>
Can we use fountain pens for this? And those cheap (high ph) chinese ink will work as well?
>>
>>5680310
I cant talk about fucking, but fapping on the floor is much better than the bed
>>
>>5684362
You can use anything you want
>>
>>5683915
Jesus fuck, this is still salvageable shit. I guess I will not try out this draw a box thing.
>>
>>5684742
Imagine a digital artist that can't teach. Now imagine a digital artist who constantly presses Ctrl + Z to undo their mistakes. Now imagine that's your teacher. This is the peak Draw box experience. Just skip it Anon, and give hours back to yourself.
>>
>>5679330
I feel sorry for you. You’ve trapped yourself in a cycle of never ending boredom in the hopes that you’ll become great. Meanwhile the people who drew for fun surpass you. You don’t find it fair at all. How could they be better than you if they didn’t draw 100,000 boxes?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.