[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why does it look like some manga backgrounds are just photos with a filter. Is that literally what they are?

How can I get a similar effect to this from a photo. It would save me a ton of time.
>>
File: 19.jpg (598 KB, 2133x1518)
598 KB
598 KB JPG
>>5681609
Those filtered photos might save a lot of time but traditionally drawn stuff will always feel less fake and more soulful IMO
>>
>>5681609
If that's Inio Asano as it looks like it is, then yes
He puts photos through a filter and then draws over it to add touches and balance the image how he'd likemtmhp
>>
because that’s what they are
>>
>>5681617
I get what you mean, in an action scene like that in the clouds it looks better to draw it all. but for scenes set in a real world city whats the point spending weeks drawing every building when the end result is going to look almost the same
>>
>>5681619
Do you know what filter settings he uses?
>>
https://www.naokiurasawa.com/inio-asano/
might be more episodes that go into it, but this is one
>>
Yes.
Work smart not hard.
>>
>>5681609
It's no secret.
>>
>>5681619
>He puts photos through a filter
not anymore. nowadays he makes 3d models and draws over them, which is even more work. fucking dumbass
>>
>>5681609
>Why does it look like some manga backgrounds are just photos with a filter. Is that literally what they are?
Yes, or sometimes they are traced photographs.

>How can I get a similar effect to this from a photo
Some combination of edge detection/highpass filter and blocking in shadows with grays and blacks, is the guess I'd hazard.
>>
File: Gantz 1.png (437 KB, 636x934)
437 KB
437 KB PNG
>>5681609
>Why does it look like some manga backgrounds are just photos with a filter.
Because they are. While not the same I always found the Gantz behind the scenes is pretty interesting
>>
File: Gantz 2.png (372 KB, 634x930)
372 KB
372 KB PNG
>>5681609
>>5681899
>>
File: Gantz 3.png (447 KB, 636x929)
447 KB
447 KB PNG
>>5681609
>>5681899
>>5681900
>>
>>5681623
on csp find the layer property window
>>
Because most lazy manga artists uses a tecnique called photobashing. The punpun guy is famous for doing so, boichi too. All hecks in my humble opinion
>>
>>5681924
They putting out anywere between 40-80 pages in a month you just can't do it all.
>>
>>5681609
Implying a /beg/could trace something like this out of a photo
it's impressive regardless
>>
>>5681609
>Is that literally what they are?
Yes they literally are, especially when using real places.
>>
>>5681955
>tracing from photos
we have software for this now old man
>>
>>5681609
inio asano, the artist of that image, goes around places outside his studio and take pictures. He takes those pictures and edits in his characters for faster output.

He was interviewed in the manben tv series. It's still up on youtube
>>
>>5681955
like this anon said >>5681983 there's plenty of software solutions for that. I was watching a video from ibispaint x (a kinda crappy nip drawing program I use on my phone when I'm especially bored on my sofa for doodling) and even it has the ability to take a photos and turn it into manga backgrounds.
>>
>>5681609
Curvilinear perspective?
>>
>>5681657
It's less work dude what are you smoking
>>
>>5682474
he makes most of his 3d models from scratch, he barely uses stock ones. and after that he has to arrange them to create a scene that he screenshots and draws over. this is way more work than just taking a picture and editing it.
just look up inio asano unreal engine and you'll see. he's either really autistic or really dumb
>>
>>5681654
Question:
Do I necessarily need B/W photos or can I just use any colored photo?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.