[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 30 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (1.41 MB, 1080x675)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB PNG
So now that we've established that Afantasia is indeed real and it affects the way that visual information and art techniques are learned and also the resulting artwork that is produced.
What should a directed course of study be for someone with Afantasia.

Of course, any resources that heavily use visualisation techniques for leraning or resources that the learner is able to use their minds eye should be avoided.

Should there be courses that make heavy emphasis on the use of photo reference while learning not how to fall into the xeroxing trap?
>>
>>5752044
you need some spanking retarded zoomer
>>
Another thread, wonderful.
>>
making threads on /ic/ cures aphantasia
>>
>ring on right hand on ring finger
married retard or just retarded
>>
aaaaaAAAAAAAOUUUUUUUUUUUGH
>>
>>5752073
he has autism
>>
I still don't believe it honestly
There are people out there who don't daydream, who can't hear their own thoughts, who can't revisit a memory or play back a song in their head.
>>
>>5752096
And you have to interact with a lot of these kind of people every day
>>
>>5752096
Self aware NPCs. Its hard to believe really. Im pretty sure its just a cope for being a lazy permabeg.
>>
i believe afantasia exists, but none of you have it

y'all are just misinterpreting what normal people see in our heads. it's so fucking hard to explain how we can see objects in our heads, that 2 people with the same imagination capabilities could say 1. "i can clearly see an object in front of me if i imagine it" and 2. "i'm not really seeing anything it's like a psuedo visual that i'm really not able to visualize but i can kind of think of it in a weird way" meanwhile it's the same, i guarantee this is what's happening.

do you think we're just tracing a 3d object we projected on our drawing tablet from our minds? no.
>>
>>5752044
What is it with you dipshits not understanding that you need to be familiar with an object in several ways to able to imagine it in a freeform way? You can't look at a single front facing plane of an object is and immediately say "ok i now know what the side of it looks like" because your brain literally doesn't have the information. There is an exercise in a loomis book that does the exact thing that you supposed aphantasiacs need in order to train your 3d visualization. Also people to don't image images onto their eye lenses but they see it inside of their head's void
>>
>>5752096
>i dont believe its real
>proceeds to name symptoms of aphantasia and concedes they exist
????????
>>
>>5753402
>Also people to don't image images onto their eye lenses but they see it inside of their head's void
bullshit. everyone i've talked to see they see it as clear as day on their eye lenses. and they draw well enough to prove it.
>>
>>5753679
Since all these threads keep popping up.

I see things regardless of my eyes or open or closed, of course closed it happens more often, but it's not happening at the eye. I call it the sensorium, like being on the top of a projector plate, and the eyes are the projected image outward. Hard to explain because its not sight, its more of an awareness projected backwards as sight so my brain can make sense of it.

My wife used to ask me "whats wrong" cus I zone inwards pretty often, now shes used to me being blank.

Think of it like this, there are so many sounds around you while walking down a sidewalk, all of it is going into the ear/organ, but your attention isnt attached to it, so really it doesnt exist in the sensorium, once you give it attential its there. The inner images are the same, I draw my attention there consciously and boom picture. Often it's unconscious, eg. The scene of a street is projecting in my head as Im writing my example, it has colours and light value but at the same time its not a picture in the traditional sense, its subtle, and more a collection of suggestions my brain is making sense of. Transfering that onto paper needs practice, not in the drawing, but in the concentration not to lose the image.
>>
File: OHP-sch.jpg (1.81 MB, 2592x1944)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
Picrel for the kids
>>
Fun fact: aphantasia seems to be more common among Europeans and less common among East-Asians
>>
FUCK YOU NIGGER AT LEAST SPELL IT RIGHT SO MY FILTER CATCHES YOUR RETARD BAIT THREADS
>>
File: file.png (53 KB, 595x457)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>>5753940
i mean east asians are still talking about it and saying they have it so it's not a western thing like you are suggesting like a moron
>>
>>5753679
I can visualize objects, but they only occupy my field of vision if i focus. Otherwise, I am cognizant of the real world and the visualization at once.
>>
>>5753975
Seems to be more common doesnt mean asians dont experience it. Id personally like to see the study. European btw
>>
>>5753405
>if you can describe something, then it exists
Based NPC with no internal monologue to try out his ideas before shitting them on the Internet.
>>
>>5753997
Based ESL anon that cant understand why that anon responded that way
>>
>>5753998
When it's time to use literally figuratively you Americoids have no qualms about semantics. Sad!
>>
Do you guys literally see the objects vividly when you imagine them? like it's in front of you?
>>
>>5754027
Yes.
>>
>>5754027
Takes over my vision with my eyes open pretty often, not something i think or try to do its just like when you are driving and forget how you got somewhere. Just is.
>>
>>5754051
>>5754060
You're just saying that to make me sad. I refuse to believe you can actually see it like it's a real thing.
>>
>>5754071
Dunno wat to say anon, im surprised its not the case for everyone. Try meditation, im being legit here, the wave of things that hit your inner vison is unstoppable (and problematic due to distraction) it may train your brain to look the other way.

There is always drugs, ten gram mushroom trip changed how the world looks in a permanent way, not that i really want to derail the thread.
>>
>>5752044
Question for those who say that they have "a. fantasia". Could you describe a car, tree or person without looking at one. What about fictional stuff (like a lightsaber). If you say you have no "minds eye" then how could you describe these things?
>>
File: Sokka_lulz.png (113 KB, 360x450)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>>5752044
I love how OP just flat out admitted aphatasiafags have special needs.
lol
>>
>>5752044
Faggot
>>
>>5753940
Fun fact
You take dick on the reg
>>
>>5752096
I've theorized people with aphantasia are what we call "NPC". Do not talk to anyone with aphantasia, they are not people
>>
File: 1637274782182.jpg (42 KB, 600x600)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
If you had to choose one, which debilitating disorder would you rather have?
>>
Is aphantasia if you can imagine a cube and can rotate it but you can't see the corners?
>>
>>5755014
>Is aphantasia if you can imagine
no.
>>
>>5752044
Go on youtube and check out aphantasiameow. He has videos on how aphantasia can be cured. There's also studies into that showing the same.
>>
>>5755510
I checked his channel out but he only has like a couple thousand views and 72 likes. Are you sure this is a legit channel?
>>
>>5755510
>aphantasiameow
he is a literal scammer.
asks people to pay for him to tell them "just visualise bro"
>>
Can those with aphantasia imagine other senses, like the sensation of touch?
>>
>>5752096
I believe it. People who have been blind since birth exist, and they won't be able to visualize anything. So it exists at the extreme, it's plausible to exist at a lesser extreme.

Important question is, can it be cured.
>>
File: 1637961524942.png (229 KB, 600x618)
229 KB
229 KB PNG
>occasionally get trapped repeating a specific traumatic memory in my head
>it's always extremely vivid and i can't make it stop
sometimes i envy the literal NPCs who can't imagine anything
>>
hey it's probably a moving scale. you don't walk into a room surrounded by unfamiliar objects, unless you literally walked into a new room. You have visual memories, whether you feel like you can conjure them in your head or not. You probably have dreams, even if you can't recall them, and if you took a decent amount of hallucinogens your mind and vision would start to do tricks on you. I believe people have poor imagination. This is what they call aphantasia. If you really had no visualization, you'd probably have face blindness too. You have some.
>>
>>5755781
>whether you feel like you can conjure them in your head or not
but this is the only significant art making related part of having visual memories.
If you just tried to make art with recognition and not conjuring, then all you are doing is throwing paint at the wall until you see something you recognise. Thats why having aphantasia is such a significant barrier to making good art.
>>
File: 880.png (522 KB, 600x1273)
522 KB
522 KB PNG
>So now that we've established that Afantasia is indeed real and it affects the way that visual information and art techniques are learned and also the resulting artwork that is produced.
What should a directed course of study be for someone with Afantasia.

Of course, any resources that heavily use visualisation techniques for leraning or resources that the learner is able to use their minds eye should be avoided.

Should there be courses that make heavy emphasis on the use of photo reference while learning not how to fall into the xeroxing trap?
>>
>>5755907
can you at least greentext properly when you are soifacing my post you stupid newfaggot tourist
>>
>>5755915
you will never have imagination

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.