[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]


Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.


[Advertise on 4chan]


File: uyl1r724oul71.png (1.31 MB, 1920x1080)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB PNG
The general thread for Manga / manga-styled comic-making and Manga-style illustration.

Support each other and talk about your work or the work of others that excites you. Inking, character design, paneling / layout, writing, planning, and other discussions are all welcome.

Post resources, questions, in-progress pages, breakdowns of other works, etc. If a work is not yours, credit the maker (unless it's fucking obvious like a full page of One Piece or something).

Thanks to everyone for making /mmg/ a level-headed and helpful place. Remember, drawing and making comics and manga are difficult endeavors, and we're all in this struggle together.

Previous thread: >>5771111


Some resources:

/asg/, our stylistic sister-thread series >>>/ic/asg


Books:
Understanding Comics

Making Comics

Manga in Theory and Practice: The Craft of Creating Manga
https://mega.nz/folder/Dd4hnZTC#EjMIcTDPLbWXkAJLPHx2Kg

Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting
https://archive.org/details/RobertMcKeeStorypdf/

2000AD Script Book
https://mega.nz/file/gtNQgY6L#p7vPA_fLOUwxINMBzAX62w_xx282FVQoMhUHDGtiCpE

Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga
https://kupdf.net/download/even-a-monkey-can-draw-manga_58b9ca16e12e89233badd376_pdf


Videos:
"Manga Senpai/Tokyo Name Tank", "SMAC! THE SILENT MANGA AUDITION COMMUNITY"

Habanero Scans: https://www.dailymotion.com/HabaneroScans/videos

Full MANBEN Series link: https://mega.nz/folder/9h1mUYSJ#8sJoO57nMP_JhjnujBXkpQ

https://www.naokiurasawa.com/

Urasawa Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkIFOAoFm47XOAlJwTa6Ieg/videos
>>
Some western / indie publishers that seem to have a decent readership and are tolerant of or specifically cater to Manga:

Saturday AM ( https://www.saturday-am.com/ )
> Digital indie magazine, seems to be on the up-and-up
> Open submissions for long-form series; also distributes series currently being published elsewhere.
> Regularly publishes one-shots, making it a good potential outlet for already-finished work.

Noir Caesar ( https://www.noircaesar.com/ )
> Focuses on black (specifically African-American) content, but seems willing to publish anyone good enough.
> Seemingly series-based only.
> No "magazine" style updates; series are updated on their own schedule.
> Seems less regular than Saturday AM, but also seems larger in terms of readership.

Oni Press ( https://onipress.com/ )
> Technically indie, but at this point large enough by comic standards to be mentioned in the same breath as other publishers.

Antarctic Press ( https://antarctic-press.myshopify.com/ )
> Longtime large-indie publisher of OEL / manga-esque books.
> Seemingly taking submissions at present if http://www.antarctic-press.com/html/submissions.php is anything to go on.

Yen Press ( https://yenpress.com/ )
> Started out as a small indie publisher of original / Korean material, and has grown reasonably popular since.
> As of 2016, it is also one of the western arms of the Kadokawa Corporation's publishing apparatus, with Kadokawa owning a 51% stake.
> Editorial inquiries can apparently be sent to yenpress@yenpress.com, however, they apparently are not open to new submissions at this time.

Viz Media / Viz Originals ( https://www.viz.com/originals )
> *The* western manga publisher.
> Currently in the exploratory stages of setting up an English label.
> Submissions are open and several books have been announced. However, progress on the label seems to be moving very slowly.
> Still might be worth a shot anyway.
>>
Other open comic publishers:

Dark Horse ( https://www.darkhorse.com )
>Dark Horse still welcomes your submissions, and all submissions will still be reviewed, just as they always have been.
>All unsolicited story/series proposals must have a full creative team on board. Writer-only proposals will not be reviewed.

Image comics ( https://imagecomics.com/ )
>Image Comics only publishes creator-owned material. They do not contract creators; they’re only interested in publishing original content for which you would retain all rights.
>Image Comics publishes creator-owned/creator-generated properties and THEY DON’T PAY PAGE RATES. Image takes a small flat fee off the books published, and it will be the responsibility of the creators to determine the division of the remaining pay between their creative team members.

Drawn and quarterly ( https://drawnandquarterly.com/ )
>Please email a low resolution PDF with at least 20 pages of comics and cover letter to submissions. Do not send dropbox links, scripts, or proposals. Please read our submissions FAQ.

Fantagraphics ( https://www.fantagraphics.com/ )
>submission page: https://www.fantagraphics.com/pages/faq

Top Shelf Productions ( https://www.topshelfcomix.com/ )
>Regarding submissions, we're easy. Just email us a download link of what you'd like us to review. NOTE: We cannot accept cover letters, plot synopses, or scripts unless they are accompanied by a minimum of 10-20 completed pages (i.e., fully inked and lettered comic book pages).

Additional publisher lists:
> https://jasonthibault.com/definitive-list-comic-publisher-submission-guidelines/
> https://writingtipsoasis.com/best-independent-comic-book-publishers/
>>
Current contests:

SILENT MANGA AUDITION 17
>Theme: Moments of Haste, Rage, or Smiles
>5 to 17 pages
>DEADLINE: Monday the 31st of January, 2022, 12 noon IN YOUR TIME ZONE.

How (You) can help /mmg/:

> Know about a contest or a publishing opportunity? TAG THE OP and post a link.
> Have a new resource? TAG THE OP and link / mention it for inclusion.
> Have a link / DL for a mentioned resource? TAG THE OP and mention what you're supplying a link for.
> SCREENSHOT / PASTEBIN effortposts that help you for posterity.
>>
File: image (80).png (29 KB, 161x258)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
I hope people stop asking more dumb questions, it's really annoying
>>
>>5816190
Don't know what's considered a dumb question, but maybe an FAQ would help a little bit.
>>
>>5816227
Nobody reads those. Even if you put a bunch of links to sites to post your manga you will still get people asking where to post their manga.
>>
File: 1640754273414.jpg (157 KB, 600x768)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>5816190
No, i won't stop asking until i know how to do the shake effect of the second panel of this picture
>>
File: molester30.png (47 KB, 190x240)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>5816425
Why don't you apply your eyeballs to the image you already have? It's right fucking there. Just copy it.
>>
>>5816429
It's harder than you thought anon
>>
File: file.png (959 KB, 936x1263)
959 KB
959 KB PNG
>>5816530
I don't see how demonstrating is going help you any more than the image you have will. You have the best example to follow in front of you and you're telling me you can't? How are we supposed to help you then?
>>
>>5816425
It's just a drawn character with some manually-placed action lines in the background and additional action lines that break up the character's outline in order to blend the effect a little bit. The hatching is also all done vertically in order to intensify the sense of motion. That's it.
>>
File: 1624955777148.png (1.38 MB, 1350x1025)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
What are some ways I can help pages flow when going from one column of panels to another? It's always awkward when I have to zip my eyes from one end of the page to the other. Wide panels and diagonal cuts can help but if there's more I'd love to know.
>>
>>5817616
You're overthinking it, it's not awkward for the reader. You reach the end of one row/column, you move to the next. The only issue is when it's unclear where each row/column ends or if it's unclear which row/column is the next.
>>
>>5817616
this is the first actual good reference for making manga/comic
>>
How did you make an spread in csp pro not ex?
>>
>>5817616
What does the 4th panel from top left say? White ??? Day? It looks like the same word on the 4th panel from middle left and 4th panel from bottom left too.
>>
>>5817799
Ben Day
It's a process for printing shadows.
>>
>>5817820
Thanks. I suppose it makes sense the dots of a screentone have a name too.
>>
How do you go about panelling? Should I follow the Japanese (right to left) orientation too or shouldn’t that matter?
>>
>>5817836
it depends on how you view the story. I like right to left since I like Manga format more.
>>
>>5817836
Left to right is more natural for English comics since that is how it's written, however what kind of person would be interested in reading your comic if your main influences are manga? Probably manga readers who are more used to right to left.
Recently a read a comic by an /a/non that was left to right but I had trouble for the first couple of pages since I defaulted to right to left.

Although there are things regarding the flow of the comic that can be done with English left to right that don't quite work the same right to left.
>>
>>5817792
Double the canvas width.
>>
>>5817836
Orientation should be targeting your intended audience. Are you making your comic for native english speakers? Then left-to-right. Are you making your comic for native japanese speakers? Then right-to-left. Nothing else matters. There's even at least one mangaka who makes his manga left-to-right (the Rosario Vampire guy).
>>
>>5818269
The fact that there are people out there who think fucking reading direction of all things is the line that separates "real" manga from "fake" manga boggles the mind.
>>
>>5818269
Alright thanks. What about placement of panels? I’m guessing the orientation changes how artwork is done and how the panels are shaped and placed.
>>
>>5818464
That's a big, complex topic. Short answer: look at how manga do it, try to spot patterns. Paneling is one of the many things that you develop a "style" for, and the only "objective" qualities are: does it read well and does it look good.
Generally speaking, other than simply reversing the order you'd place panels, reading orientation doesn't really affect paneling.
>>
File: Astaroth.png (323 KB, 697x636)
323 KB
323 KB PNG
Design for a character in my comic
>>
File: wrong.png (14 KB, 838x1002)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
Character design of my new MC
>>
>>5818787
If you're not making a VN you might want to draw the rest of him.
>>
>>5818526
Ugly. Space the eyes a little more apart and give him a full skull.
>>
File: wrong.png (11 KB, 429x673)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>5818791
sure dude. If you wanted to see the full body.
>>
File: EwlopjFVgAAVFrE.jpg (898 KB, 2048x1438)
898 KB
898 KB JPG
I don't know if this the right place to ask, but why are there very few pieces of western media inspired by japanese media while there are a shitton of manga directly based or influenced by western culture or pop culture? It's kind of mind blowing that even the exceptions like ATLA are based on the most basic shit like popular shonen/Akira/GITS rather than something that targets a specific niche. You'll never see a comic with a fantasy/sci-fi kitchen sink setting, unique and fun enemy design and extravagant armor/clothing like Bastard!! or even a game like Chrono Trigger, just to make an example. Not to mention the serious lack of mecha western media in general as well, hell I struggle to name 5 and none of these are real robot, not to mention their mechanical design being kinda ugly or outdated as well. What the reason for this? The stigma against anime/manga/LN and japanese games outside of japan? Different pools of influences? Lack of exposure? The fear of the product failing financially?
>>
>>5818959
>but why are there very few pieces of western media inspired by japanese media
What? There's a metric fuckload of works inspired or even loosely based on japanese properties. I think the bias in what you prefer to consume is tainting your perception -- I mean how could you really know how influential Akira Kurosawa was if you can't recognize when a work is building off of something he's made?
Aside from that, there isn't a whole lot else even in manga that's much like Bastard!!, and most other JRPGs from the same era pale in comparison to Chrono Trigger. By the same token you aren't going to find a whole lot of manga that are just like Watchmen or Cerebus. Turns out these works that stand out are famous and remembered BECAUSE they stand out from other works.
>>
>>5818959
Interesting response copypasted from the /a/ thread asking the same question
>Mindset about originality.
Creation of art in japan doesn't afraid of learning from someone else, they know that by building on it and putting their view on it they would create entirely different works of art. Creation in the west often believes you are either creating an homage or creating something completely original, nothing in between. There is a lot of plagiarism in the west and lots of lawsuits. This black or white mentality prevents something like the ghost in the shell soundtrack that was entirely inspired by a handful of akira tracks, or evangelion which was inspired greatly by devilman. Inspiration is important.
>Ego
A lot of western artists hate or belittle anime because to acknowledge the incredible feats of anime would mean that the japanese are lightyears better than anything every made in the west (which is the case). When they finally do compliment anime it would be a cheeky "It is good, but it's not that good, it's just alright".
>Another mindset about originality and product readiness
Almost all the big hits in the art world in the west were breakout hits. This has set in the idea of "if you are not doing something different that will create a 100 year franchise, you may as well not make anything at all". A lot of it is very calculated, and comes from trying to find a crowd and something it will eat right up instead of creating something true to your heart.
>The digital revolution
The already fragile future of art in the west was brutally gunned down by the arrival of the digital age. A lot of people who are hailed as role models are just idiots who secured a spot as the tides were changing. In the practical sense, this did bring a lot of people who like anime into the art world, but most of them don't actually have the artistic cognition to build on an idea, and can only either badly copy it or ignore it.
>>
File: a.png (288 KB, 840x591)
288 KB
288 KB PNG
so close to being done with this chapter.
>>
File: EEDKx-sWkAAoSSn.png (478 KB, 844x472)
478 KB
478 KB PNG
>>5819031
Absolutely silly response.

Firstly, as >>5819000 said, there's a shitton of popular media out there inspired by JP properties. Avatar the Last Airbender, SymBionic Titan, Power Rangers, Transformers, Pacific Rim, TMNT, Wakfu, not to mention the subtle influences found in popular media like Star Wars, Steven Universe, Samurai Jack, Spiderverse, and many others. Samurai films and western films have had an incestuous relationship practically since the codification of both genres. Nobody in the west is "afraid of learning from someone else," and there's plagarism and lawsuits in Japan too; it's not some wild west no-copyright paradise. Not to mention that practically every major indie project right now is influenced by Japan in some way or form because anime and manga are extremely popular at present.

The real reason why you don't see "that many" (there are plenty but let's stick with the wording for now) Japanese-inspired properties in the west is because there's a difference in thinking by the people who hold all the money. Producers in Japan love western animation and often look up to it as an ideal of what animation should be, partly because Japan modeled its early animation industry after the likes of Disney and thus they have a long history of appreciating western animation. Meanwhile, western suits don't see Japanese animation in any particularly positive light (this doesn't apply to Frenchies, since the French and Japanese animation industries have basically been non-stop French Kissing for the past few years now). Why? Because back in the 90's, anime was cheaply-licensed garbage that studios bought up en-masse after Turner Broadcasting bought basically every western cartoon worth a damn in order to kickstart Cartoon Network. Anime to western suits is cheap corny garbage for five year olds, so anything made in that vein must be cheap corny garbage for five year olds too.

Luckily, this mindset is finally changing anyway.
>>
File: topnotch.gif (1.99 MB, 320x240)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
>>5819571
>>
File: Demon (1).png (3.04 MB, 1533x2514)
3.04 MB
3.04 MB PNG
>>5818526
>>5818800
Redrew it
>>
Having a manga making thread is kind of pointless. What you need is a thread about understanding the elements of storytelling and cinematography.

Another thing is that there is nothing precious about manga style. The style of manga is a consequence of several factors and limitations of manga artists in general. They needed to use inexpensive tools and produce content as efficiently as possible. So black and white, screentones, and simplified styles made sense. Why am I saying this? because, the style of manga doesn't matter. It literally happened incidentally. You should focus on storytelling and finding how cinematography techniques overlaps with the portrayal of still images.
>>
>>5819864
>It literally happened incidentally.
It doesn't matter how it came to be, since it exists regardless. But besides the actual manga style is not monochrome drawings it's how they are arranged on the page and it's the most important thing.
>>
>>5819864
if manga was caused by limitation, I'd be gone by now. Art isn't about freeing yourself from limitation but using those limitations to express yourself in creative ways. Mangakas excel at this in ways westerns artists can't.
>>
>>5819852
>>
>>5819864
>Having a manga making thread is kind of pointless.
I agree with everything in your post except this. It's here because we want to make black and white comics styled after ones we like from Japan, regardless of what they look like.

More than that though, this general started specifically because of an international manga contest. We do welcome people who want to make comics that might not "look" like manga though. All that matters is that people be passionate about making comics.
>>
>>5819906
Looks cool anon but you've really gotta make your cover's text readable
>>
File: Demons.png (2.83 MB, 2079x2953)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB PNG
>>5819923
fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out. Being zoomed in gives tunnel vision
>>
>>5819959
Much better. Be sure to let us know when you've posted it somewhere
>>
>>5820014
I'm making the comic for a magazine anniversary, but I'll be sure to post
>>
>>5819959
getting some vampire: the masquerade vibes from this. dope cover
>>
>>5819959
"Angel" is still a little hard to read; maybe darken the spell circle a little more so it's not white on white or increase the thickness of the lining on the letters a little.
>>
File: Demons (1).png (1.95 MB, 2079x2953)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB PNG
>>5821284
>>
>>5821484
Much better. Looking good anon, best of luck with the mag!
>>
>>5821488
thanks ^^
>>
File: E62i1sqWQAIA8g9.jpg (278 KB, 957x1083)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
>>5816150
i like this style but i dont know how to imitate it in CSP, any tip?
>>
>>5821501
get good
>>
>>5821501
Unironically this >>5821555
>>
>>5821501
pyw
>>
>>5821501
What do your current attempts look like and what part of the process have you struggled on?
>>
That earlier post about the shake effects made me think, is there like a list of common manga effects like that out there? I feel like I see a lot of the same sort of thing often, but I never really think about it. It'd be good to have an encyclopedia of sorts. I suppose though, all I really need to do is read and take particular note of the art.
>>
>>5822401
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MangaEffects

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manga_iconography

https://www.japanpowered.com/anime-articles/manga-sound-effect-guide

https://manga.tokyo/columns/explaining-animes-common-visual-symbols-and-their-meanings/
>>
>>5822825
Thanks much my man, that's got a lot of stuff. It's interesting how ingrained some of this is to me, that I forget it's mostly manga/anime specific.
>>
>>5819571
he's right in some ways and you are right in some ways, anyone reading this should realize that both anons are also wrong in some aspects. You are right that early days Japan look towards Disney for animation but now that the west moved fully towards 3D and abandoned 2d, the playing field changes because the japanese is able to push 2d to extremes that the west was never able to.
There are series like you mentioned that were "influenced" by the japanese who made it big but none, par ATLA, actually understand the essence of the show and overly westernized it for american audience while losing what made the show great in the first place. Evangelion captured key themes of Devilman, Transformers and Power Rangers basically just took the design and spun their own shit. The west has, 9 times out of 10, always failed to understand what made a series work in the east but the Japanese have rarely fucked that up if they were serious. That's why a lot of thought provoking works were based on classic western literature. The french, on the other hand, are good people with foresight so I have nothing much to add on. You are gravely mistaken if you believe that the properties you listed, less some of them, are greatly influenced when they failed to capture the core.
>>
>>5821501
lmao I love you dumb mother fuckers that always post stupid questions like this and never post your work.
>>
>>5822962
>but now that the west moved fully towards 3D
Except that this is a total meme and the west hasn't done that. FEATURE FILM animation in the US has done that, but literally nothing else. The bulk of animated television series are all 2D. 3D has never been the majority medium when it comes to animated television outside of *maybe* the preschool space, to say nothing, again, of what the euros are doing.

The rest of your post is just "the west doesn't understand japanese animation!!!" which has nothing to do with why and whether or not there "aren't any JP-inspired western properties" and is also an extremely subjective and entirely unsubstantiated take. You realize not every show that takes stuff from Japan has to be a masterclass in JP philosophy and symbology, right? Lifting dynamic 2D action coreography counts as being "inspired by Japan."
>>
>>5823125
Be nice.
>>
>>5822962
>>5823136
There are also old cartoons like Mega XLR, or even Swat Kats, that are fascinating to me, because they are some of the few western-made cartoons that actually "feel" like an anime.
There's all sorts of stuff that tries to ape anime only based on it's art style and shallow ideas surrounding some tropes, but feels nothing like it, whereas those two cartoons I've mentioned don't try to ape it at all for the most part, but they carry the exact same energy. It's bizarre and something I can't explain in easy terms. They're notably American, but still "anime".
Does anybody else get that feel?
>>
>>5823186
Loved Megas growing up so I know what you mean and agree.

I think the main thing to keep in mind though is that taking parts of something and using that to make your own new product that isn't 100% like the original isn't a bad thing. I think it's weird that people are lambasting random shows and movies for taking bits and pieces of anime and not feeling 100% like anime while simultaneously not caring that fantasy anime doesn't feel 100% ripped out of the Simarillion or someone's D&D campaign. Mixing blending and remixing is the point of artistic inspiration.
>>
>>5823136
your argument is that a majority of them take from Japan but I pointed out that they only took the designs, especially the mainstream ones and completely miss the themes of said series. That is MOST of them and then you pointed our chereo but off my mind I can at best list you 3 who did it well and we are talking about the majority. Don't use niches to prove your case.
people aim for disney and pixar because 3d films is where the money is, big money has already moved away from 2d. That's my point. All of ALTA won't make as much money as two subpar 3d films in a year, stop fetching. Japan has not moved from 2d, in fact it is becoming more popular for the mainstream, what with demon slayer and your name. Their niche uses the same medium as their mainstream medium which is 2d, mainstream animation that sells in the US is 3D, NICHES is 2d. That's my whole point.
>>
>>5823211
You're moving the goalposts now. Aesthetic inspiration and design usage = making something inspired by Japanes properties. Full stop. The conversation was about JP-inspired media in the west and aesthetic inspiration is part of that category. Just because (You) think a series missed "the point" (whatever that even is) of "Japanese animation" (as if an entire genre of art even has a central and universal "point") doesn't mean that people aren't taking inspiration from Japan in whatever way they most see fit.

You're also bringing in ideas of financial success now, which are irrelevant to the conversation and have nothing to do with the fact that western animated television is still primarily 2D and thus the west has not moved on from 2D as a medium in its entirety. The fact that you think these are "niche properties" means that you don't actually engage with whar's being made; some of the most popular television in the past few years has been western 2D: Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Rick and Morty, the Owl House, Adventure Time, and much, much more. Hell, the team of Klaus literally invented an *entirely new way of lighting their drawings* for their *entirely hand-animated movie.* You can't just invalidate all the art happening in half of the world by pointing to Disney-Pixar and Dreamworks and going "w-well they don't do 2D anymore so." Your average run-of-the-mill 12-24 ep anime series isn't gonna make as much dosh as a Pixar movie, does that mean the Japanese animation industry belongs in the dumpster and exists only to get BTFO by Superior Mouse Animation Technology? No, that's ridiculous; your argument makes no sense and is just trying to shift more goalposts.

It feels like you're judging western animation from the lens of someone who only watches anime rather than someone who watches both.
>>
>>5823141
Nah, people on /ic/ don't really deserve niceties. This place should technically be one of the better art communities, but it's not because of people like him.
>>
>>5816150
any material on lighting, appart from hard round, how can i imitate this in csp
>>
>>5823256
Anon you have to post your current attempts. We can't give you helpful info without seeing what your current work looks like. The amount of information it would take to answer your question in the abstract is huge; we'd have to talk about the basics of lighting and painting, the basics of form and perspective, and how to leverage those things in black and white.

If you post your own art we can give you more direct and concise pointers. No specific brush or drawing method is going to create that look in CSP or any other program. That kind of look is achieved through leveraging the basic skills of visual artmaking.
>>
>>5823221
>It feels like you're judging western animation from the lens of someone who only watches anime rather than someone who watches both.

There are very few western cartoons I like as much as my favourite anime, and I say it as someone who didn't watch either for years now except for 1 or 2 stand out original series. I can't get past the either too simplistic or too gross art styles and the limitations of it being episodic and made for children, with even adult cartoons being mostly gross ugly comedies instead of meaningful serialized mature stories, that dominate the medium. Others disagree. I won't call western art styles and series "lesser" because they are usually weak in aspects I especially value or because I don't have a taste for US animation norms. I can't say immature whiny and spineless tween MCs like in Steven Universe are objectively worse than the japanese shonen teenage protagonist cliché equivalent, although I have more tolerance for the latter.
>>
>>5823221
anon, i get where you are coming from. But the original argument was what the mainstream media of the east vs west is and in terms of inspiration, the mainstream medium (3d) of the except for the designs(see live actions). I didn't move the goal post because it is a fact that 3d animation is still mainstream and popular in the west. Steven Universe and Rick and Morty are good works but they do not have the widespread popularity as compared to disney films. The Japanese knows Your Name, they know Ghibli but your average american does not necessarily know about Steven Universe. That's my whole point. The average japanese knows all about 2d anime, they know dragon ball, akira, bepop even if they are your casual wageslave. Your average wageslave in the west would, if we are being really honest, only know 1 or 2 recent 2d animations and that's me being generous.


We are also having a discussion on what succeeds and I have pointed out that aesthetic inspiration and design usage is not enough because a lot of times JP-inspired media failed to capture the essence of the series. The entire cowboy bepop cancellation is just one of many failures of what you speak of aka "aesthetic inspiration" and that's what happens when only that is taken away. There was one film that Ilya worked on with Ghibi aesthetics that I couldn't be assed to google but that didn't worked out. I don't disagree with your points on the good western 2d but I would argue that even your list is miniscule (i assume in the span of a decade) as compared to the good ones in a year of anime. Even /ic generally believe that even if the western animation is good their style is usually lacking compared to the japanese counterparts.

Financial success is also relevant unless you truly want to be the van gogh of your gen because people are flocking to 3d, artstation portfolios are filled with 3d works and everyone understands the demand because what is mainstream sets the direction and pays the wages.
>>
File: Trends.jpg (93 KB, 1109x602)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>5823427
>I didn't move the goal post because it is a fact that 3d animation is still mainstream and popular in the west.
You moved the goalposts via insinuating that the west had moved on from 2D animation entirely, when that is objectively untrue. Your words:
>You are right that early days Japan look towards Disney for animation but now that the west moved fully towards 3D and abandoned 2d, the playing field changes because the japanese is able to push 2d to extremes that the west was never able to.

>Steven Universe and Rick and Morty are good works but they do not have the widespread popularity as compared to disney films.
Except they do though; check google analytics and you'll find series on par with or even outpacing several Disney or Pixar films. You're likely judging this based on your personal tastes and friend circles, showing that, again, you don't actually engage with the material.

>The average japanese knows all about 2d anime, they know dragon ball, akira, bepop even if they are your casual wageslave.

Yeah I'm sure the average Japanese person knows about literally the most influential pieces of popular media of the current generation. How many of them know about Flip Flappers or the Darkstalkers OVA?

>We are also having a discussion on what succeeds
No, we're having a discussion on what kinds of inspiration do or do not happen.

>aesthetic inspiration and design usage is not enough because a lot of times JP-inspired media failed to capture the essence of the series.
Again, just because something isn't the way you'd like it to be or doesn't make any money or is cancelled or whatever doesn't mean that they have or have not taken inspiration from any particular source. Is Rune Soldier Louie not actually a western-inspired fantasy anime because it doesn't fully align with the beats and aesthetics of classical western fantasy?

>I would argue that even your list is miniscule as compared to the good ones in a year of anime.
Because Japan makes more 2D.
>>
File: stats101.jpg (67 KB, 1434x686)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>5823533
>a screenshot that shows anyone can rig stats to their viewpoint
anon, how about I show you how to actually be fair? you got to be blind to ignore how steven universe craps alongside films like Tangled, which i assume you chose because its one of the worst to feed your bias. Rick and Morty is legendary and one of the kind but its animation is not out of the world. You literally can't compare R&M with Kimetsu holy shit. It's popular because of the writing and the medium, with all due respect, is secondary. Even if R&M spikes above Frozen here and there because of whatever, there's only 1 R&M in like ten fucking years but Disney churns out 3d movies so often they win in terms of what is MAINSTREAM.

is it really that hard to understand?

>the west had moved on from 2d animation entirely
anon if you want to argue semantics and technicalities then here's what I meant: that MAJORITY of US animation studios that make BANK where most people watch has moved towards 3d because I thought that was obvious. Of fucking course not every studio down to that one indie shop man by 2 people is doing 3d. Just like how even in Japan there are 3d animation but the MAIN drive is still 2d.

>No, we're having a discussion on what kinds of inspiration do or do not happen.
how the fuck do majority of people be inspired by things that do not succeed? Are you inspired by deviantart or tumblr shitty drawings? u want to talk about how niche studios are inspired by japanese anime, then that's cool for you but I'm talking about how the biggest players in western animation failed or generally don't give a shit. They are the market movers and the ones who influence kids. Stop coping. I'm not even against your indies and your 2d boner, I'm sure they have more soul but that does not objectively, just because they exist, means the west as a whole is "inspired" by the east.
>>
File: 1622716158875.png (604 KB, 446x545)
604 KB
604 KB PNG
>>5823926
>how the fuck do majority of people be inspired by things that do not succeed?
Not him but you're talking total nonsense. "Majority" has nothing to do with this, neither does success -- even obscure shitty flops can give others ideas. You're trying to frame your initially ridiculous claim that the west hasn't taken much inspiration from the east and twist it into not being demonstrably false by appending the "successful" adjective onto it. And you're still fucking wrong, because Star Wars is just a grab-bag of Kurosawa and generally japanese tropes. Even discounting the megahuge hits, you still get stuff like The Departed (which is straight up a remake of a chinese film) and Ghost Samurai (which is about a fat black weaboo who takes samurai philosophy totally 100% seriously).
>>
>>5823926
>anon, how about I show you how to actually be fair? you got to be blind to ignore how steven universe craps alongside films like Tangled, which i assume you chose because its one of the worst to feed your bias.
Tangled is a popular film and if you're going to say that it's not because you want to pick the biggest and most famous of examples only (which R&M still tops on average on your own graph) then I don't know what to tell you. I said that 2D shows can and do go neck and neck with popular 3D animated films, was correct, and provided evidence. You don't get to say I'm "not being fair" just because you don't like the examples. The rest of this paragraph is just unsubstantiated justification.

>anon if you want to argue semantics and technicalities then here's what I meant: that MAJORITY of US animation studios that make BANK where most people watch has moved towards 3d because I thought that was obvious.
Except this is ALSO wrong. There are three, arguably four studios that make big bank on 3D animated films: Disney-Pixar, Dreamworks, Illumination, and SPA. There are tons of smaller studios that are primarily 2D, such as Powerhouse Animation, Titmouse, Bento Box, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network Studios, Netflix Animation, and, whoops! SUBSIDIARIES of these MAJOR 3D STUDIOS TOO, such as Dreamworks AT and Disney TVA. You actually just have no idea what the animation scene looks like in the US and clearly haven't looked into it, and this is coming from someone who doesn't even like the current state of American animation all that much.

>how the fuck do majority of people be inspired by things that do not succeed?
>>5823958 already answered why this paragraph is silly so I'm going to end the conversation here.
>>
>>5823926
>>5823966
Addendum: the idea that 3D studios can't take influence from JP animation because they're 3D is also a really stupid idea that I shouldn't have entertained in the first place. Big Hero 6 and RWBY should put that idea to rest.
>>
>>5823958
I don't disagree because that applies for everything. Artist make successful art from trash bins because they are inspired. I'm talking about the impact and reach that success allows for. Disney films have a lot more reach and is thus able to influence a majority. Which is why I kept emphasizing on the term majority. Niche works can influence people but most people would only get there through more accessible options.
>>5823966
>tangled is a popular film
it's a 2010 film with no sequel and is comparably worse off than any recent films in the previous decade. its successful but you picked a film that if ranked is much lower down the 3d list against your 2d number 1.

>four studios
that brings in more money, have more reach and has a greater ability to draw people into the industry. You even mentioned that subsidiaries of major 3d studios do 2d which means that 3d is where the money is at. My part about making bank still remains true. 2D animation do make money but nowhere close to what the big 4 makes.

I keep repeating the same point that even if 2d western animation studios exist and has a few hits, it is nowhere on the same level as 2d in Japan. You even mentioned that they are smaller studios that do not have the same resources as disney.

I have to keep repeating that I don't deny that they don't exist but they just don't have that level of impact compared to 3d animated films in the east. 2D is a lot more impactful in Japan and is a lot more loved. And as a whole, even in this board, the japanesque artstyle/animation is also more loved.
>>
>>5824011
Okay, so you walked back basically every point you made. Good talk.
>>
>>5824024
My original post mentioned that the person you quoted and yourself was both right and wrong anon. You constantly push your 2d animation series as the basis for comparison whereas it is obvious to anyone that the casual audience has more likely heard of (insert any 3d film) in recent years over a 2d series.

And okay, even if we do not compare 3d to japanese 2d and do a 2d to 2d comparison, the studios you listed is still not able to compete with the works of david production, ufotable, IG and Ghibli. This is not subjective. There is obviously inspiration taken because one(japanese) is better than the other(western), the whole point I'm trying to make is that just because there is inspiration taken does not necessarily mean that it is good. Be it because it fails to capture the theme, understand the source or is straight out not being able to better utilize available resources. Anime is popular for a reason and animation that copies anime without understanding the whys is always bound to fail.
>>
>>5819864
you are incredibly dumb
>>
File: jade child.jpg (1.66 MB, 1700x2500)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB JPG
>>5816150
hate, rate, masturbate. From my berserk and ghost in the shell-inspired cyberpunk manga
>>
>>5824057
>this art is worse than this other art
>this is an objective opinion
>>
File: 1611903845766.png (90 KB, 254x223)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
Can someone tell me how to get this effect? Is this a materials brush? How do I get these things for CSP?
>>
>>5824399
I’m pretty sure that’s just one of the default hatching tools on CSP. That or another default tool. I’d have to go looking for it.
>>
>>5824399
Decorations -> hatching -> cross-hatching
It's a mix of the cross-hatching and gauze in the same subtool menu.
>>
>>5824409
>>5824411
Thank you anons
>>
Would people read a manga style comic if the characters weren't always anatomicly correct or other things were off? I want to improve my craft for comics in the future, but my skills aren't as good as some other people on the internet so I'm worried people won't care. But maybe i can ceompensate for that with funny characters and dialogue?
>>
>>5824685
I don't think people should worry too much about their art style as long as the comic can read clearly. It's important to know storyboarding and paneling, writing good story and good jokes, and stuff like how to pace your story. Remember that one punch man was originally drawn like complete shit but the panels werent bad, the story wasn't unfollowable.
>>
>>5824685
>Would people read a manga style comic if the characters weren't always anatomicly correct or other things were off?
Draw character ref/turnaround sheets before you start. It's tedious, but trust me they're invaluable
>>
File: index.png (528 KB, 1451x2048)
528 KB
528 KB PNG
>>5824685
if you look around in the pixiv comic world most of them are rather basic compared to your average published manga. Pic related is from the first chapter of a webcomic that got an anime adaptation last year. Granted this is slice of life, if you want to do action a clear artstyle probably helps a lot, not that it ever stopped one punch man.
>>
File: Death_Maid_Oneshot.png (3.53 MB, 2428x3439)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB PNG
Going to try and do an actual one-shot for real this time, wish me luck guys.
>>
>>5825268
was this webcomic posted in both english and japanese on pixiv, or only in english?

Does anyone post long form manga on pixiv with hundreds of pages?
>>
File: thetriple.png (911 KB, 1233x906)
911 KB
911 KB PNG
>>5825552
Man, fuck great values like this. They mock me.
>>
>>5825555
This was Jap only that got scanlated. I am not sure how much the average Nip would be interested in, or be able to read, an english webcomic.

>Does anyone post long form manga on pixiv with hundreds of pages?
I know a yurifag author who has ~120 chapters of his work uploaded on pixiv with around 4 pages per chapter. You can categorize your work as a manga and upload batches as chapters but i've never tried it myself.
>>
>>5825663
How much would a decent Japanese translator cost per page of translating english dialogue and text to Japanese?
>>
>>5825680
No idea. You could look around in scanlation/translation threads and ask about commissions or just ask for translations in exchange for redraws.
>>
>>5824066
the composition is not bad, but the sloop line work and seemingly randomly placed is throwing me off a lot
>>
>>5825856
randomly placed grey*
>>
File: comic.jpg (1.19 MB, 1200x911)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
pencils I'm about to start inking
>>
>>5825565
A lot of it is just painting knowledge, but one thing that helped me was using more black fill. If you have a lot of black it actually helps the shaded values pop a little more, I found. It takes some getting used to but I'm sure you can make it work too.
>>
File: 1640148061023.jpg (96 KB, 1083x1083)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
Any info on drawing action scenes? It's occured to me recently I've never actually done anything high velocity. Most of my art is just still life.
>>
>>5826602
Have you tried it at all? Can you post your results if so? It's important to try things at least once or twice before asking for advice on it so that you can have a good idea of what you may or may not be able to figure out and so that we can give you proper pointers on what is and is not working by looking at your work.
>>
>>5827116
I honestly have no clue where to begin
>>
>>5825951
looks awesome, keep it up
>>
>>5827881
same place you begin everywhere else: study and copy existing stuff.
>>
>>5827881
Start with stick figures?
>>
File: canvas_size.png (146 KB, 600x844)
146 KB
146 KB PNG
Is this image really well dimentionated? I'm not very good at digital, and pretty new to it so i don't know if i'm going to fuck up in this or no, so i have been trying to make this fit in the page, but it doesn't
>>
>>5816150
I already know the bottom left needs to be redone, but what do you think generally? I'm progressing on a lot of fronts recently
>>
File: cowboy page.jpg (3.12 MB, 1700x3000)
3.12 MB
3.12 MB JPG
>>5828167
forgot pic
>>
>>5828047

It would make more sense for you to create a new page that corresponds exactly to the dimensions of the full size of that template, anon, then move things around in your drawing/paneling to make it fit within the live area.

When it comes to meeting a certain physical specification, the template is god, not the drawing. It won't matter if the drawing is the best there ever was if it doesn't fit within the live area and thus gets trimmed out.
>>
>>5828170
This hatching is godawful, sorry.
>>
File: 1630934490842.png (755 KB, 746x1200)
755 KB
755 KB PNG
>>5828170
What are we looking at? A storyboard? A sketch? A finished drawing?

If that's meant to be finished then you need to clean it up, it's an absolute mess. Your line work is hairy, that's not good -- use longer strokes, or if you can't then at least make the shorter strokes connect better. The characters don't look TOO bad, though they could definitely use some work, but the backgrounds look flat. Apply perspective bro, even if you need to use a grid or draw over a 3d or whatever.

The text has some errors, and errors in text is almost unforgivable. "Ill" needs an apostrophe to create "I'll", and the typesetting sucks. You want to create a bubble or box shape with the text (to fit the dialogue box/bubble). Text should generally be center aligned.
Change
>If she hangs...
to
>If she
>hangs...
and
>I want a front row
>seat
to
>I want a
>front row
>seat.
And don't forget to punctuate.
>>
>>5828303
how do I hatch good?
>>
>>5828430
just a sketch I guess. I'll try and redo it tommorow and clean it up. Thanks for the feedback
>>
>>5828430
I love how you critique my work and post a picture of a fucking ugly manga.
>>
>>5828513
Learn form, light and shadow. Hatching is used either to suggest shape, or texture.
>>
>>5828519
Not them but regardless of whether or not it's ugly, it's still clean, which is what the other anon was saying your work needed to be.

Now, I don't necessarily think myself that manga need to be "clean;" >>5825268 is super rough and still got an anime adaptation like that poster said, and even professionally published stuff like JJK can get pretty rough for the sake of energy and style, but the important thing is that even though the page in the post I linked to is pretty rough, it's still super clear and easy to visually read, which is something I think >>5828170 lacks, especially in the top right panel and the bottom left panel. Look at the other pages posted in this thread and you'll find that they're visually clear regardless of what they look like, which I think is what should be aimed for.
>>
File: 1606539810105.jpg (106 KB, 1024x898)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>5828519
>I love how you critique my work and post a picture of a fucking ugly manga

Nevermind any advice, you're clearly a permabeg looking to excuse your own garbage skills by crabbing
>>
How many people in these threads are actually making comics?
>>
>>5828590
At least three, including me. A couple have stopped posting because they're actually getting published
>>
>>5828592
Proof? Which ones.
>>
>>5828590
Multiple people have posted their work in here already.

>>5818787
>>5819323
>>5821484
>>5824066
>>5825552
>>5825951
>>5828170
>>
File: FurPr0nOrWeebTown.png (132 KB, 500x250)
132 KB
132 KB PNG
Guys should I create a webmanga for webtoon or should I draw fur pr0n if my goal is $$$?

I'm not trolling, I'd like some extra cash, and they both pay $ but weebtoons seem like the poor cousin of mangoes, and pay really bad, like $100 for 40k views per month, and 1k subs, even if they're rich, and have 70 million active readers per month, they pay third world rates.
>>
>>5828832
Furry porn, unquestionably.

Though if money is really your goal, get out of the arts while you still can and become a lawyer or a plumber an electrician or something.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwDA5Rmgtz4

AKIHITO YOSHITOMI video rough sketch to pencils to inking of manga page process. Might help someone if havent seen full process using traditional medium.
>>
>>5824066
The head is too big for the body. And looks too adult.
>>
>>5828590
I'm trying. I'm gonna read more loomis tomorrow since I can't even draw storyboard scribbles correctly.
>>
are manga made here allowed on /a/?
>>
>>5829193
No.
>>
File: file.png (169 KB, 225x369)
169 KB
169 KB PNG
>>5825951
Please post moar of torpedo-tits-chan
>>
>>5829195
even if they are posted on webtoon/tapas/pixiv/twitter and have manga-passing style?
>>
>>5829200
No.
>>
File: jade child.jpg (1.57 MB, 1700x2500)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
>>5828996
fixed and updated
>>
I've never looked deeply in publishing a comic with a traditional method like trying to get it in dark horse because I've always feared having the story taken away from me if I want to take the story a separate direction but the higher ups say no and make me write stuff I don't want.

How likely is this to happen? How much creative freedom do you actually have when using someone like dark horse? I'm leaning to just making my own website and publishing my stuff there for free and leaving a donation jar for people to pay. Any advice on all this?
>>
>>5829378
Self pub is the way to go
Nowadays publishers are looking for your social engagement numbers just as much as your art
>>
File: 1640224831503.jpg (188 KB, 1280x712)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>5829387
Thank you anon. You may not know it, nor will you ever care, but your reply soothed a lot of stress in my mind over publishing.
Have some berserk fanart for thanks
>>
File: file.png (458 KB, 677x665)
458 KB
458 KB PNG
>>5816150
I'm sorry I don't know where else to go with this.

How do some mangakas like Tetsuo Hara do shading like this? Was it the material they draw on? Does it only look like this after print? Or they draw on such a huge resolution/canvas that indeed each shade is made up of many many different lines?
>>
>>5829714
99% sure it's just normal (cross)hatching with a thin pen/brush
>>
>>5829726
Ah I see. So just technique and a ton of work. Good to know.
>>
>>5829746
Try keeping the hatching a close as possible, the closer the better
>>
>>5829714
He's just doing hatching. Good person to look at for that is Kentaro Miura. Take studying a step further and study the artist he studied: Gustav Dore.

Does anyone have any good resources for storyboarding? I've had an idea for a manga/comic I've wanted to do for a while but I struggle with storyboard technique.
>>
File: 20220105_221910.png (240 KB, 658x636)
240 KB
240 KB PNG
Thumbnails of my pages.
>>
Alright, i still don't finish this page, but i need to ask if it is well dimentinated to get into sma before i keep going, and since i'm ain't very good with digital, also, does the artwork seems good enough? I still don't add the screentones and try to clean up a little
>>
>>5831042
The sequence of events is unclear. What is supposed to be happening? Try to make every page as clear and readable as possible.
>>
File: 1625466915578.gif (1.78 MB, 378x368)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB GIF
>>5831068
I know that might be unclear, but i will try to add some things to help the flow of the page later
>>
>>5831042
I like the tree idea but have it full go down to or change it completely, the bottom two panels are the most confusing in terms of what’s actually happening
>>
so anyone make a comic that is somewhat not shit yet?
>>
>>5831682
Why don't you make one anon?
>>
>>5821501
Just draw retard
>>
File: comicphone 05-01-22.jpg (2.54 MB, 1518x2150)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG
>>
>>5831974
Lol, this is good. Keep at it!
>>
>>5831857
because I’m shit
>>
File: export202201061546296890.jpg (3.43 MB, 2480x3508)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB JPG
>>5831068
>>5831181
Does really reads like shit? I was going to try to end in something like this, and that also the point that this would be the first page so it's not really necessary to know what's going on yet

Also, if someone can really anwser if the dimensions of the page (not this one, but the first one that i uploaded since this is just an edit that i did on my phone) is really fine to make an entry in sma? I really don't wanna fuck it up in that
>>
>>5832198
wait, it’s the same person? I thought it was a camping trip or something
>>
>>5816150
Made a server for comics/manga/ oriented people if anyone is interested https://discord.gg/WcjSKgyM here is an invite.
>>
>>5831042
Holy fuck I've seen illuminated manuscripts with better perspective. What the fuck is going on in that middle frame?
>>
File: 1629208130988.jpg (85 KB, 650x654)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>5832340
I just wanted to know if i didn't fuck up with the page size why people don't just answer that first so i can go on a fix everything...
But also it's just that it's hard (for me at least) draw more firmly(?) In digital, and that i wanted to make it look like in a mountain too
>>
>>5832367
So sketch it out on paper first and scan it in. And look at reference images of the scene/perspective you want. C'mon. Use your fucking head.
>>
>>5832198
Page size for manga is 5 X 7.5 inch

Also it's not really obvious it's shaking, I thought it was her falling, try adding some leaves
>>
>>5832463
>>5832198
Also, make sure you don’t center stuff, even if you're not going to print it design it like you are. Keep spaces for "binding" on the left or right (best to figure out even and odd pages orientation if printed
>>
So at the moment, I'm going through a course on coloring better (not sure it's going too great, but maybe I'll slowly be able to apply the lessons to greater effect as I improve). In a few more weeks, the course'll be over, so I'll have more time to draw just what I want. Thinking I might try to make a small one-shot, nothing too huge to where I'll burn out.

Anyone have any suggestions for how long I should make it? For a first real attempt. Don't really have an idea off the top of my head, but maybe working on something over the course of a few weeks would be a good challenge. At the same time, I'm afraid of having it go on too long and burning out. I was thinking I could storyboard over the next couple of weeks, then work seriously on it after.

Also if anyone has any good tips at pacing myself, would be happy to hear it.
>>
File: 1640976512210.gif (126 KB, 440x500)
126 KB
126 KB GIF
>>5832427
I did that and comparing them, i think that i fuck up a little doing it, but the thing is that i really thought that it was weird to have a mountain to be plane so i wanted to make it bit bumpy here and there, but like i say i'm not good in digital and i thought in use a perspective grid, but i supposed that it would help so much to make it bumpy so if anyone knows how to do something like a perspective grid, but that you can edit to make it bumpy it would be much apreciated

>>5832463
>try adding some leaves
I was thinking to do that when i draw the backgrounds of the last two panels after i re-arrange some things
>>5832466
>make sure you don’t center stuff
I totally forget about that since i was more worried to fit in the margins of the sma guidelines, and i did the page like that since the margins left the page in a4 dimentions, that's why i was worry so much about the page, thanks for the advice anon
>>
>>5832510
I made this post >>5830366
When making a one-shot, it's important to figure out how many pages you want to make first. So I'd recommend about 25 pages for your first comic. As for the story, make sure it can start and end within those 25 pages. You're making a short story, not a serial comic.
As for pacing, try working on creating thumbnails and scripts first (assuming you have character design ideas done). then start working on 1 to 2 pages a day, if you can do more, do it.
Hope this helps
>>
>>5832536
Tomorrow I'll post my idea for the page if you don’t mind
>>
>>5832536
>so if anyone knows how to do something like a perspective grid, but that you can edit to make it bumpy it would be much apreciated
>AKA "please do it for me so I don't learn anything"
Christ.
>>
>>5832575
Fuck i should try to explain myself a little better, was i was trying to say, if someone knows if do something like that it's possible tell me how to do it or where are the options to do it

>>5832545
Please don't anon, don't waste your time for my mistakes, just grab the first image that i upload and make your annotations with some color, i will know what do you try to say
>>
>>5832198
>Does really reads like shit?
Yes.
>I was going to try to end in something like this
It's for SMA, reading order wasn't the issue, the issue is that I couldn't tell what I was even looking at for a good minute or so.
>and that also the point that this would be the first page so it's not really necessary to know what's going on yet
Uh, no. For some reason a lot of newbies seem to think that it's okay for the first page or the first few pages to make no sense out of context... you have it backwards, it's the first page so it NEEDS to make sense without context because there IS no context yet. This isn't a matter of "oh I just don't know the story yet I'll keep reading to find out" this is a case of "I can't even tell what's supposed to be happening on this page".

What I would do to make it clearer is to cut back on the close-ups. How are we supposed to know that the middle panel is all the same character if we don't know what the character even looks like yet?
I'd pull the camera back a little bit in the last 2 panels so that we can see at least down to her groin, maybe even to her knees, and instead of the tree going across the panel borders for no reason (it conveys absolutely nothing, the tree is an irrelevant set-element as far as I know so don't give it so much importance on the page) I'd simple put it straight in the middle of the panels with the panel border separating the two halves of it. I'd also slap a screentone on it if it's in the foreground, to help separate it from our character.

And don't worry too much about bad drawings, bad drawings is rarely even the issue a lot of the time, it's bad drawings paired with a poor understanding of the medium and a poor understanding of keeping a reader interested.
>>
File: file.png (164 KB, 1094x859)
164 KB
164 KB PNG
>>5832367
Read the rules of the competition, dude.
>>
File: 1613861141788.jpg (47 KB, 450x508)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>5832711
>it conveys absolutely nothing, the tree is an irrelevant set-element as far as I know so don't give it so much importance on the page
痛い
The idea was just showing her wandering throught the forest and then something happens, but the tree thing was just trying to make cute paneling, also i might try it one last time with the middle panel before changing it, and the last two panels i might to pull the camera back, but just to the chest, i don't really thing that it's necessary pull it back that much

>>5832713
I have, it's just that i'm such an illiterate fucker in digital yet, that i just wanna be sure that the page is right, i mean if you look up in this thread i was asking the same before
>>
File: file.png (452 KB, 2074x1821)
452 KB
452 KB PNG
>>5832922
>but the tree thing was just trying to make cute paneling
Your goal isn't cute paneling, your goal is clarity. Never forget that. Cute paneling is something you go for once you're confident it won't interfere with readability and right now it is. This shit is exactly what SMA is targeting: can you tell a story clearly just with paneling, composition and drawings. The fucking basics. Don't get fancy, all they want from you is the basics so give them the basics.

>i mean if you look up in this thread i was asking the same before
Yes, I can see that. If you seriously need your hand held this much then fine, here you go. It's as easy as screenshotting the sample on the rules page, opening a b4 canvas in CSP, pasting the screenshot in and dragging it so it covers the whole canvas. There, you have the print borders for a b4 canvas.
https://mega.nz/file/Nt0AGSqC#WgJiwXy3vwKinr5-07JOroJhiZ84R8RQzs6-kDXa6DI
You've got to learn to find your own answers. Look at other's examples and apply critical reasoning, most of the problems you've going to encounter won't have bored people around to give you the answers.
>>
>>5824685
Dude, MOB Psycho 100 is out there, isn't it? If it is engaging enough, people will read it
>>
>>5828513
Non ironically, take a look at Deconstructed: Drawing People with Viktor Kalvachev. There should be a link to pirate it on the video course thread. It is not focused on inking for comics at all but has great exercises on feeling the form with hatching.
>>
File: takemitsu-zamurai-1003862.jpg (245 KB, 1660x1200)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>>5824685
Someone already beat you to it.
>>
>>5829714
Good old hatching on a big canvas/paper. Most comics are drawn on a size a bit bigger than their printed form, exactly to detail stuff like this. Most pros I know ink on A3 size to print much smaller
>>
>>5831974
Whoa, this looks fun
>>
>>5832971
Dude you are an absolute saint for holding this person's hand like this.

I worked on silent manga with a friend last year and he asked me if he could draw on an A5 paper for me to resize to 4B and I almost committed murder. I Couldn't possibly have this lvl of patience with a stranger. Kudos to you
>>
File: 1636677379357.png (67 KB, 244x331)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
>>5832971
>Your goal isn't cute paneling, your goal is clarity. Never forget that. Cute paneling is something you go for once you're confident it won't interfere with readability and right now it is.
That's a really great advice anon, so i will think about it a bit better

And with the image i just download it, and it just two problems that make me so insecure if what i was doing was right or not, first is just when i chance the trimm margins the b4 size changed from 297mmx320mm to 257mmx364mm automatically, so i didn't know what the fuck i was doing and the page and the image didn't fit exactly so that's when i asked about if the image was actually well dimentionated
>>
File: wandering about.png (344 KB, 706x1000)
344 KB
344 KB PNG
I'm just a passer by. Is this arrangement better depicts "wandering about"?
>>
File: 1640364555103.png (31 KB, 128x126)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>5833410
I love it, and i'm trying to add it to the v2 of the page, but since i already edited a lot of it and can't turn back now, and i also got a new problem exporting the image with screentones now
>>
>>5833472
What issue are you running into with the screentones and what program are you using?
>>
File: First page v2.png (402 KB, 3035x4299)
402 KB
402 KB PNG
>>5833508
It looks kinda weird zoomed out
>>
>>5833538
What program are you using?
>>
>>5833618
Csp
>>
>>5833627
The issue could either be in the screentones you're using or it could be your export settings. Mess around with exporting as a comic vs exporting as an illustration, and mess around with the size you're exporting pages at (3000x4200 is waaaaaay bigger than it needs to be).
To me it looks like you're exporting them "For comic", which produces jaggy results with pngs like what you've got there.
>>
File: 1619560178591.gif (55 KB, 500x500)
55 KB
55 KB GIF
>>5833643
It must be the screentones, i mean, i export it 4 times and the 4 times look the same, and i don't really know how to change the size more since i just keep it in 257mmx364mm and export it with 300 pp that doesn't let me change the size of the page
>>
File: file.png (84 KB, 1040x1134)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
>>5833651
Do you not get a window that looks like this when you export?
>>
>>5833651
>>5833652
(cont.) This is what it looks like when I export >>5831974 as a png as "For comic".
>>
File: comicphone 05-01-22.png (461 KB, 1518x2150)
461 KB
461 KB PNG
>>5833653
forgot pic
>>
>>5833538
Weird how? Do you mean it looks weird (in other words pixelated) when you zoom in? Because that's the most noticeable thing I see. How is it "supposed" to look in your mind or in the editor? Did you shade your tone layer in and then convert it to screentone using CSP's features or did you do something else?
>>
File: 1637974423313.png (254 KB, 713x599)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
>>5833652
>>5833653
>specify resolution :300 dp
And like i said between ilustration and comic didn't change much, before i go to sleep, i need to ask if sma just put 300dp as minimum or it has to be 300 dp exactly

>>5833681
It looks more granuulated and way more different that when i'm working on it,
>Did you shade your tone layer in and then convert it to screentone using CSP's features or did you do something else?
I just select it, and and the tone, then i just the air brush to scrap the tone and just that

Thanks you so much for all the help everyone, when i finally end with the first page i won't be a bother anymore (at least until i have to do the spread), now i' off to sleep
>>
>>5833691
Before you go to sleep can you just through the .lip file up on mega or something so I can figure out the problem without having to direct you through 4chan posts?
>>
>>5833691
It's a slippery slope honestly, some competitions ask for 600 DPI while others don't care as much (300 DPI). But to save space on your computer if it’s going to be digital only, make it 300 DPI
>>
>>5833002
That's really useful to know, thank you. Sounds a bit difficult on a tablet with roughly A5 space, but doable.
>>
File: hobo joe pg 1.jpg (1.98 MB, 1700x1700)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
>>5816150
can I get some crits on this? I know I need to clean it up and the bottom right is empty for the moment. But generally, am I on the right track?

thanks in advance guys. The last time I posted in this thread I was accused of being a perma-beg but whatever anon said that should probably reconsider his life choices. I am far from a beg and just want some constructive crits. Thanks and keep on keeping on fellow manga-makers!
>>
File: hobo joe pg 2.jpg (1.79 MB, 1700x1700)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB JPG
>>5834148
this is also a work in progress...
>>
>>5834148
Unrelated but this reminds me of someone else I really hate.
But you have okay paneling, it's a bit chaotic and uses too make unnecessary shapes. Just keep it boxed and try using a little as possible. The less you can use to convey the scene, the better.
>>
File: 1617824776399.jpg (61 KB, 492x489)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>5833696
I just wake up anon, what the fuck is a lip file?

>>5833713
Then i will try to see if i can change the dpi before exporting, but i'm still worried if i can change the size at all or not
>>
>>5834375
DPI is really a print setting, so it only is mandatory in competitions since some print it. So don’t let it get to you if it's digital
>>
>>5834076
There's no limit to it on digital, a small tablet is not a problem.

Have you seen art streamers that have an extra window of their art when they're drawing? One is zoomed in and another one is zoomed out. You can zoom in as much as you need to hatch comfortably and have another window open with the canvas zoomed out so you can see how it is working on the bigger picture.

I personally find screenless tablets more comfortable to work on hatching.
>>
>>5834375
You can have your file set to 600 dpi and export it to a smaller size for the web. The important thing is for the OG file to be 600dpi
>>
>>5834148
Try to set fixed sizes for your pens, so you won't end up with inconsistent lines. Your hatching is all over the place and that's not good. A bit of texture would do you some good too. Are you using CSP?
>>
>>5833538
You have to work on those chicken scratches
>>
>>5834375
>I just wake up anon, what the fuck is a lip file?
I think they mean your .clip file, the working file for CSP.
>>
>>5834430
yeah im using csp. Should I just set pressure sensitivity to 0 then to ensure line consistency?
>>
>>5834699
You shouldn't have to do that in order to have consistency. You can put a minimum size on your brush if you really want, but ultimately I think better line control would do you much better in terms of consistency than capping your brush size.
>>
>>5834375
The project file.
>>5834148
>>5834149
Are you >>5828170? If so, my advice is the same.
Additionally, while the drawings aren't exactly great, they're not really the biggest issue with these pages. Especially in the 1st page, the layout is simply ridiculous. You've got the same issue as the other guy posting his work ITT in that you're both trying to get cute with the layout without knowing how to do it right. Keep it simple, stupid. Panel your comic so that it's easy and intuitive to read. If you need examples, literally just pick up any shounen manga and look at the paneling since shounen manga are especially focused on clarity.
>>
File: Death_Maid_Oneshot.png (2.66 MB, 2428x3439)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB PNG
>>5825552
Next page
>>
File: 1635016596561.jpg (40 KB, 307x348)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>5834970
Wait, this was your art?
I thought it was an unrelated artists work
>>
>>5819864
ignore others anon this is an incredibly good take
but I believe the style stuck around because of how iconic it is
>>
>>5834987
Ah, yeah, they're both mine; I guess it sounds like I'm on the right track though! Thanks anon, it really means a lot!
>>
>>5834388
>so it only is mandatory in competitions since some print it.
But the sma gets printed in the zenon magazine does that counts?
>>5834488
>>5834883
Alright i got it just wait a little bit
>>
File: 1641059153260.png (63 KB, 365x335)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
>>5833696
Alright first time that i do this so i hope that i didn't fuck up
https://mega.nz/file/AOIzhILD#oaq_BANTngxqX0a8OH0IkuITChvwiBJWoV9CLkrTTZ0
Thanks god that this shit doesn't have an archive
>>
File: sma.png (565 KB, 1518x2150)
565 KB
565 KB PNG
>>5835173
>one layer
Anon I needed to see the screentone layers. This defeats the purpose of linking the project file.

Anyway this is what it looks like when I export at 25% size as illustration.
This moire could be fixed by either changing the properties of the screentones (I'd need the actual screentone layers intact to do that) or by just gaussian blurring before exporting.
>>
File: 1617302595133.webm (205 KB, 716x720)
205 KB
205 KB WEBM
>>5835184
>Anon I needed to see the screentone layers. This defeats the purpose of linking the project file.
I'm sorry i just fused all together when last night, i'm not used to digital so i just like to keep all in one layer, but if it help y remember that the tones were:
>circle frecuency 85, density 15 and angle 155
For the water and
>cross frecuency 85, density 30 and angle 155
For the clothes
>>
File: rokublues1.png (19 KB, 155x233)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>5835198
>i'm not used to digital so i just like to keep all in one layer
Don't do that. It's okay to flatten the layers when you're exporting, but keep the originals so you can change stuff later.
Anyway I can't really help you any more. Go work on the rest of the pages.
>>
File: 1619510955653.jpg (186 KB, 589x782)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>5835215
I got it, i will try to keep the screentones in separated layers, but one thing before you go, it's really okay to change the size of the ilustration? I really don't wanna touch anything related to that in case that i fuck up my entry
>>
>>5835273
I sincerely doubt you'll get DQ'd for uploading a 1500x2500 png instead of a 6000x8600 png.
>>
>>5835328
And what about the dpi? If i choose to change one i can't change the other
>>
>>5835366
For exporting it doesn't matter, as long as you have the original file in its original resolution you can export whatever size image you want. For submitting it to be viewed online, you don't want fuckhueg images. If they want to print it you can just send them the original files.
>>
>>5832999
i guess, but this is intentional stylization by a guy that really knows how to draw well, i don't think that guy was talking about that.
>>
File: Chapter 2_001.jpg (1.16 MB, 1039x1450)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>5748346
>>
Where do I start? Storyboards? Script? Character profiles? Lore?
>>
>>5835917
>>5834323
>>
>>5834883
ok, noted
>>
>>5834883
yes, I am the same guy. thanks for the crits, I will keep them in mind for my next pages....
>>
>>5835917
I'm not really sure what you're doing in this thread if you don't already have an idea for a story of some kind...
>>
>>5835995
It's good that you're the same guy, because you evidently immediately put the advice here >>5828430 to action. Keep it up, friend.
>>
>>5835157
Yes, DPI does matter for printing. DPI is raw information for how detailed the image will be.
>>
In what medium do you guys feel comfortable with? Traditional or digital? Screen Tablet or iPad. A mixture? Which size of paper?

I tried doing a whole comic on the Ipad and its a pain with how small it is.
A3 size paper still feels the best, especially when you are making a draft. Scanning or taking a photo of the draft and working on a bigger screen tablet, is the way I'm thinking of going,
>>
>>5836165
Traditional with digital fixing
>>
>>5836165
All traditional, 11x17 bristol board. Love the feel of paper and ink, I'll never go digital
>>
>>5836329
This but lately I find myself only rough sketching trad then doing everything else digital
>>
>>5836005
I do but it’s a combination of vague ideas. I have the plot and a few ending ideas
>>
>>5836371
>11x17
Damn Anon
>>
Thoughts on posting your manga on Pixiv in Japanese? This to me seems like a better option than to just post it in some obscure western comic website in english
>>
File: Chapter 2_002.jpg (1.05 MB, 1039x1450)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>5835722

>>5837651
No reason you can't do both.
>>
>>5837719
nice page but 336 minutes? seems like way too much time to be spending on a page
>>
File: file.png (399 KB, 1186x819)
399 KB
399 KB PNG
>>5838705
In this case it took me about 100 minutes just to get the storyboard right. I found those first two panels really difficult to compose.
For comparison the version that I wasn't happy with (left) took 12 minutes while the 2nd version (right) too 88 minutes, most of which was spent redrawing the first two panels over and over.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBQgIWHau4s

Take tracing pill.
>>
>>5839028
I don't trace but I use heavy refrence to get ideal poses. It honestly helps soo much
>>5838908
I guess you use the draft as the sketch takes. The 2nd version is a huge improve!
>>
I just realized that there's a feee 30 days trial for csp ex and i use it, but i don't know how to add the pages that i already did to a multiple pages thing
>>
>>5838705
What are you basing this on? As far as I can tell the industry standard output in comics and manga is 1-2 pages a day, 5 and a half hours is more or less consistent with that output. Maybe just a little long, but not way too much.
>>
>>5839309
>As far as I can tell the industry standard output in comics and manga is 1-2 pages a day,
It's much more than that, at least for weekly schedule.
>>
Does anyone have some Screentone brush that can shade like pic related that they can give me?
>>
>>5839327
Ah, true for mangaka doing a weekly series it might be double that or more, but the majority have assistants to help increase output in those cases, no?
>>
>>5839331
That's not a specific brush, that's just regular screentones only they added gaussian blur to the image before exporting.
>>
>>5839424
>gaussian blur
That's just the image quality, the screen tone is fully Intact.
>>
File: Chapter 2_003.jpg (988 KB, 1039x1450)
988 KB
988 KB JPG
>>5837719

>>5839630
The result is the same.
>>
>>5839331
If you're using CSP, just use your normal or preferred shading brush and convert your layers to screentone layers. >>5825552 and >>5834970 were done with normal brushes and converted afterwards.
>>
File: spacerig - Copy.png (3.32 MB, 1677x1972)
3.32 MB
3.32 MB PNG
Posting some of my manga-like illustration
>>5832198
It doesn't, It's just your chicken scratch lineart makes it hard to define forms.
>>5831974
Pfft. loled, nice. Post moar.
>>5839672
Really fucking awesome work with dark spots and perspective, keep it up anon.
>>
>>5837451
It's industry standard size
>>
>>5840233
For comics ya, manga uses smaller paper
>>
>>5840420
I have tried manga paper, it is much lower quality
>>
>>5840471
I tend to just work on unmarked paper anyways, so I have no experience with manga paper.
>>
>>5840233
Why do you always post this picture? Have you drawn anything new?
>>
>>5840530
I have, but I haven't taken pictures in a long time. I just use what's readily available on this pc for examples. I also only scan in large batches once I get a few sketchbooks full.
>>
>>5819959
I love when anons respond to crits and get better. Warm feeling in my stomach.
>>
Probably a dumb question and not sure if this is the right place to ask, but how often is it that people who are not Japanese make it big as a mangaka in Japan? I hardly hear about it. I'm not sure how much attention non Japanese people usually get when they're trying to put their series out there and appeal to a Japanese audience. What is the likelihood for aspiring foreign mangaka to try and get anywhere in Japan, or let alone get their series animated by a Japanese studio?
>>
>>5840664
anon here. I strive for critique!
>>
>>5840748
Boichi is korean.
Radiant was made by a french guy.
RWBY has a manga running in Ultra Jump (same magazine as fucking jojo)
you need a lot of luck anon.
>>
>>5840748
It's rare, and it's rarer still that such people make manga that aren't "my daily life as a foreigner in japan"-type stuff.
>>
>>5840793
>RWBY has a manga running
Are you fucking serious
>t. Red vs Blue oldfag
>>
>>5841048
I wish it was a lie but it's true, you can read RWBY next to JoJo and Monogatari...
>>
>>5841048
>>5841122
The visuals aren't bad either, though granted they did get a local artist and writer to do the adaptation I'm rather sure.

That said though, RWBY is actually pretty popular in Japan. They've had billboards up in major squares for it, and its inclusion in BlazBlue CTB wasn't just for western audiences.
>>
File: 1620518070107.gif (315 KB, 326x238)
315 KB
315 KB GIF
There's any guidebook for reference screentones textures? I mean like showing backgrounds with clouds, mist, water, rocks, ect. I have been trying to make a sea of clouds but it's kinda hard find the right screentone for it
>>
File: Chapter_241.png (868 KB, 764x1200)
868 KB
868 KB PNG
>>5841208
Just shade them normally and change the layer types to screentones afterward anon. Otherwise, look at the shading that various other series use and then roll with that. Different manga use different effects to create different backgrounds in different ways; some will keep the entire sky white and imply the existence of clouds with drawn lines, while others will have the sky be a gradient and shade flat white clouds in instead. Finding the way that (You) think looks best is part of the artistic process; you can look through various other works to find things that you think look good and then emulate them, but there's no single way to do any of this. In the end, your best reference will be comics and manga themselves, rather than any specific guidebook or reference manual.
>>
>>5830366
this is genius! I will be doing this tonight, thank you anon
>>
>>5841218
>XBOX hands
>>
>>5841270
Yeah they look a little odd there but personally I like the way Horikoshi draws them most of the time. They look really good in action.
>>
File: 1602269987535.jpg (132 KB, 579x591)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>5841278
How does he do it?
How does one get to this level of drawing hands? I can't EVER get hands to look right even if I trace them, which I only ever do to figure out the anatomy.
>>
File: Capture.png (163 KB, 491x490)
163 KB
163 KB PNG
>>5841282
Can't say how he learned to draw them
But I just read Hogarth for knowledge, and use boxes for different knuckles
>>
File: Chapter 2_004.jpg (441 KB, 1039x1450)
441 KB
441 KB JPG
>>5839672
>>
>>5841282
I think I remember reading or hearing in an interview that Horikoshi really liked the way Mike Mignola drew hands in Hellboy and took a lot of inspiration from him (which is probably where he got the blocky aesthetics from if that's true). Other than that, I'd assume that he just uses the same volumetric techniques that would be expected from any other artist along with a bit of specific anatomical study, the same way that you'd ultimately learn anything.
>>
File: E2jPfKJUYAAGZZi.jpg (136 KB, 528x697)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>5841345
Found the article on it.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/my-hero-academia-anime-manga-hellboy-inspiration/
>>
File: E2klUsFWUAIx-Yi.jpg (868 KB, 1302x1965)
868 KB
868 KB JPG
>>5841405
Tangentially related, I found this in the Twitter thread I pulled that image from. Really goes to show that the people who say that JP readers and artists don't like western or American works are silly. They like our comics for the same reason we like their comics: they're different and offer a fresh artistic perspective.
>>
>this trash art can top the New York Times bestseller's list
We're all gmi bros
>>
File: 1633860165370.png (12 KB, 170x165)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
How do you trim pages when you export?
>>
File: file.png (1.18 MB, 2973x1926)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB PNG
>>5841638
Make a selection layer for the dimensions of the trim borders so you can just ctrl-click to make a selection of the trim borders and crop. You can copy/paste that into any page you want assuming they're the same dimensions. This is what I did for my Tezuka submission.

Or you could just use PRO and set the export range to "to offset of crop mark".
>>
>>5841428
>New York Times bestseller's list
Unfortunately making that list means you are either being promoted by the CIA or you are a relative to some big money. NYTBS has been nothing but a shill list forever and doesn't reflect any kind of quality or even popularity.
>>
>>5841410
holy shit this is hella awesome.
if i saw this as a kid i wouldn't have been able to get enough of it. i was a huge fan of both, but never knew this happened. what cool artists!
>>
>>5841428
>you're ass
disgustingly fat amercan hands typed that.
shame
>>
>>5842383
That's niggastream, nigga.
>>
File: 1613361653613.gif (1000 KB, 500x246)
1000 KB
1000 KB GIF
>>5841679
I tried to do that and there's two options, and one cuts with the bleed, and the other one don't, but i don't know which one is the good one, besides i don't know if the bleed it's right since i had the page with a 5mm bleed, geez, why the fuck i end up being such an autistic bastard
>>
>>5843034
I handed you the solution to your problem, just copy it. Cropping to the outermost border will create precisely 0 problems for you. Stop stressing and draw.
>>
>>5841410
>JP readers and artists don't like western or American works are silly.

A few Japanese Animators, and Mangakas like burguer comics, but most readers don't know much about them, because it's super niche there, Hollywood on the other hand is loved by your average Jap, to the point of inspiring some of them to become mangakas, even if they don't like, or read manga...
>>
>>5837651
knowing japanese is a must for manga making in the long term
>>
File: 1637374282778.png (384 KB, 630x624)
384 KB
384 KB PNG
>>5843040
>Stop stressing and draw.
I'm trying, but i can't... but just to be sure, does the red part of the sma image>>5828047 it should be add or not? Because i'm fine in the yellow and green margins
>>
>>5842339
Shonen Jump USA was pretty kino until they had some stuff taken off that Scholastic magazine kids buy books from in school. Then they went hard on the censorsjip.
>>
>>5843093
https://www.manga-audition.com/faq_drawing/
>Final output size, that is printed, trimmed and bound as a book, is “Width 220 mm x Height 310 mm” – That is inclusive of in-page content margin (“20mm” all around), but exclusive of “3mm” trimming margin ( the gutter ).
>Draw fully to the outer trim margin, (including the 3mm gutter), and remember the gutter will be TRIMED OFF.
>“20mm” safe margin MAY be trimmed off, when printed in reduced size (like the tankobon), or on paper standards different to ISO/JAPAN B-series. (like being re-printed as part of another magazine that is in A4 size.)

I found this just by searching "silent manga audition digital submission trim area".

So what this is saying is that the printer will always cut off a minimum of 3mm for this magazine, so you do NOT include the white space outside of your borders. You crop up to and including the trim border, so that the trim border is correctly trimmed off. Like this >>5841679.
>>
>>5843134
Forgot to include the most important line btw
>You will NEVER be disqualified for small errors.
>You will NEVER be disqualified for small errors.
>You will NEVER be disqualified for small errors.
>You will NEVER be disqualified for small errors.
>You will NEVER be disqualified for small errors.
>>
File: 1616359106573.png (1.03 MB, 1349x786)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>5843134
>all this time and i didn't thought to look into any faq because i didn't knew that they had one
Oh god, i must ask for your forgiveness anon
>>
File: 1618094067510.jpg (116 KB, 2000x2060)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>all the time that i wasted trying to eliminate the moire in png
I can't fucking believe that cirno was right
>>
File: 1618678456520.png (374 KB, 657x720)
374 KB
374 KB PNG
>>5843466
>16,7 mb
I'm such a fucking retard
>>
File: 8878787.jpg (84 KB, 899x1599)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
How can I make it more realistic and anime-like instead of something western? I'm having troubles with the cheek bones, the jawline, the eyes, the nose, etc etc
>>
>>5843635
>realistic
>anime-like
Opposing goals. Pick one. Look at artists that embody the one you pick. Zoom into their faces. Copy those faces. Maybe even trace a few of their faces.

Here's a tip: the black line of the nose is to indicate the SHADOW cast by the nose. Don't draw it directly in the middle like that, draw it opposite your light source.
>>
>>5843638
could you overlay an example of what the shadows in the face should look like?
>>
File: 1615592527373.png (451 KB, 420x527)
451 KB
451 KB PNG
>>5843635
>more realistic and anime-like instead of something western
>>
>>5843635
Read Chainsawman
>>
>>5843635
Westoids make the eyes too big.
>>
File: chain.jpg (55 KB, 736x1029)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>5843654
Compare the size of your eyes with these ones.
>>
File: file.png (597 KB, 1090x626)
597 KB
597 KB PNG
>>5843642
>>
File: 1622667660091.jpg (180 KB, 1920x1080)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>5843635
I don't know what do you try to do, buy i do think that i know what do you mean, why don't you try to take as reference, inue, oh great, tokyo ghoul guy qnd come back later
>>
File: 1639825003063.jpg (133 KB, 1080x1083)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>5843682
Thank you anon, this made a shit ton of thing clear. How can I practice making eyes right? They're kinda throwing me off but from what I can gather I should only trace the corners from the bottom, right?
>>5843686
I'll give it a go, thanks anon
>>
>>5843699
>How can I practice making eyes right?
I already told you.
>Look at artists that embody the one you pick. Zoom into their faces. Copy those faces. Maybe even trace a few of their faces.
>>
File: Chapter 2_005.jpg (806 KB, 1039x1450)
806 KB
806 KB JPG
>>5841327
>>
>>5843137
Forgot to include the actual most important line btw
>You will NEVER be Japanese
>>
>>5844546
stale meme
>>
File: 1637440913393.webm (444 KB, 148x452)
444 KB
444 KB WEBM
>>5844546
Jokes on you, i have been bullied quite enough for looking asian, so i'm halfway there

Also next thread doko?
>>
New thread
>>5845153
>>5845153
>>5845153
>>
>>5845154
俺はホントに愛してるよ
>>
>>5844546
and why would I even want to be japanese when I'm european and I abide by european laws and rights?
I'm only interested in their language and continuing my Kyoto trips to get prime manko,meeting with my karaoke bros and going to cute and funny conventions.



Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.