[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: kill me.jpg (362 KB, 1280x853)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
I feel so autistic because I for some reason cannot grasp the basic fundamentals of shading. Even after hitting the books for a little bit, I don't see any improvement. Do I keep studying the same stuff and pray for change? Are my resources bad? Replies are much appreciated. (even if it's to call me a fagboat for not attaching my work to the OP)
>>
>>5847466
Post your work retard. How can I tell whats wrong with you if I can't see it.
>>
>>5847466
You focus too much on the style and forget that shading is about value
>>
Im hitting a wall here is well, my drawing skill is good for now but I have no idea where to start with Value study and I dont know which course. Most course online and youtube are just for figure drawings but I want to do illustration for various thing not some super high render face.
>>
>>5847625
Find the ctrl+paint course on the torrents or mega.

Scott Robertson's how to render isn't actually a great course, but it's a good book to get the terms and definitions from.
>>
>>5847630
ok thanks anon ill check that out
>>
>>5847485

If you still need help i can give you the steps that help me learn shading.Not a master at it.But i can shade with literally just dots or shredded paper. So i definitely know what im doing.

Step 1. Learn limitiations of Pencil pressure( or any medium you choose) by randomly scribbling on your paper.

Step 2.Create a gradient scale with.Fill in each square from light to dark.This will teach yo control.Do this as many times as you need unti you understand your tool and the amount of pressure required.

step 3.Understand that light pressure is king.It helps to build up values.Then transition to medium pressure.

Step 4.Undertand that the light controls where the shadow goes not you.But you do control where the light is positoned.

Step 5.Understand that shading/rendering is just a series of transitions from a hard edge to soft edge.Rinse and repeat.

Example: I need to shade a sphere.

Incomplete sphere ---> Seperate lights from darks with a contour line ----> Lay down my first or preferred value ---->That value establishes my first hard edge.

Then from there we blend that hard edge so we can barely see it anymore, and that new value we just layed down creates another hard edge.Rinse and repeat.

Hard > soft > hard > soft > hard > soft > completely rendered sphere.

Once you understand this i promise you if i handed you a bag of skittles you could render a sphere with it just by placing a quantity of them in the correct place.
>>
>>5847466
Have you done your Bargue plates OP? They ain't going to copy themselves magically!
>>
>>5847466
You gotta feel the form in your mind
>>
>>5847466
just draw
>>
Sometimes you can just shade it with basic hatching to match the tone. It might be a good idea to imitate the texture with your strokes, paying attention to direction.
You get a sense for it after a while.
>>
File: IMG-20220115-WA0013.jpg (727 KB, 1280x1173)
727 KB
727 KB JPG
>>5847466
Im also having problems w/ shadding w/ ink, it is very complicated to create rich texture +form
>>
>>5847466
Watch Huston, you'll understand shadowing after a single video lesson from him
>>
>>5852505

If you don't understand value and form after watching Huston, you're unironically NGMI
>>
>>5847466
Strippling? what retard made this?
>>
File: ics0q.jpg (306 KB, 1019x934)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
>>5850901
maybe try a black marker
>>
File: IMG-20220115-WA0014.jpg (760 KB, 1280x1173)
760 KB
760 KB JPG
>>5853233
Hey looks good anon, I did a small edit in ps as well

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.