[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 081591.jpg (20 KB, 288x450)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
I once saw an explanation for computer RAM memory and how it differs from ROM memory that went like this
>you have a work table that you need to make something on
>ROM memory is your tool chest on the other end of the room i.e. slow but permanent memory
>RAM memory is the space on the work table i.e. fast but temporary memory
>it's inconvenient to go to the tool chest, open it up, bring the tool you need over to the table, use it, go back to the tool chest, return the tool every single time
>it's much faster to just place the tool on the work table so you can quickly pick it up whenever you need it, and then return it to the chest when you're done

Applying this allegory to the brain while drawing, I feel like I'm unable to call anything to my "RAM memory", and if I do it evaporates almost immediately, nor can I recall tricks or features I noticed in other people's work or real life that I wanted to use in my own work. It feels like I'm blind while I'm drawing and can only push lines and values around and like I'm starting from scratch every single time, and only when I take a break and look at my work again can I notice the stuff that I did wrong and begin to fix it, and this takes a ton of time every time.

My visualization skills are horrendous, my mind is blank while I'm drawing, but other times such as late at night I'm able to visualize anything, I tried use that moment to draw something multiple times but again it disappears when I sit down to draw. I want to be able to visualize the stuff I'm working on and have systems and frameworks (for perspective, light, composition etc) in place before putting down a single line, but I don't know how, I was told this stuff follows skill progress but I'm almost 2 years into drawing and while my understanding of fundamentals is okay, my visualization still feels stuck at 0.

Anyone else deal with something similar? Any recommended reading, exercises, or materials?
>>
>>6055916
This is the worst ram v rom analogy I’ve ever seen

Likewise your writing is equally horrendous
>>
>>6055934
Let's hear yours
>>
tl;dr
>>
You are probably wrong. You did wrote two paragraphs of cohesive text that is a lot more this board this from most users. Yeah, I know there are a lot of anglos on this website and they aren't the sharpest around, but still.

If this was true or remotely true it should affect other aspects of your life too, like your writing and other more commonly use cognitive skills. Can't say without looking at your work, but you probably just don't have the habit of doing it enough were is an passive skill you can summon without realizing. I can draw very well (relatively, I'm not going to say that given the board but you get the idea) from imagination, but my portraits, mostly the face features are pretty horrendous and I'm certain it is simply lack of practice since I can do body and poses just fine.

If you want something that may help you try approach differently, specially studying other people work. If you can't remember what features or techniques they use simply use the basics of any drawing skill we have, break it down to simplest features and build up again until you understand how it works on a fundamental level. If that doesn't work try something different, creating excuses to justify your failures will only make the failures settle in more until you trick yourself in to believing they are absolute truths. I would know, I delude myself all the time, but the difference here is that I delude myself that I'm more than I'm and can do the impossible, so I get a pass. You don't.
>>
>>6055916
You have better ram than me if you could write this long that I swear I won't read.

The easy way to work efficiently, just as a smartphone with limited ram is to install app cleaner and then put all other apps to sleep then leave the only one app and basic functions enough for you to work with. This is basically what I do.
>>
>>6055937
ROM is a library that stores all the books
RAM is is your home where you use/read the books
You check things in and out of the library when you want to use it, you dont need to check out the entire library because it wouldnt fit in your house and you’re not going to read it all anyways. You just check out stuff when you need it.

You can quickly find the few books you checked out at home, but it would be a pain in the ass to look for a book everytime you need it in the giant library.

Also RAM and ROM aren’t tools. They are memory for data and instruction sets.
>>
I have a similar problem except I'm unable to think of the big picture while working, I get caught up in every individual detail I'm working on and can't imagine how it fits into the overall piece and then have to rework it when I look at the whole thing, happens every time with no signs of getting better
>>
>>6055916
focus more on drawing and less on computer analogies and psychoanalyzing yourself
>>
>>6056322
I've been drawing for 4 hours every day minimum for 2 years now, I'm seeing improvements elsewhere but I've seemingly plateaued in this department and since I don't have a mentor to guide me through it I need to do the work myself
>>
>>6056382
Post your work

If you only copy stuff then you can only copy stuff and can’t create from thin air. You have force yourself to create from nothing using what you have already learned. It takes a while to rewire your brain. I was able to copy pretty well after 2 years, but it took 3-4 years to generate without a reference.
>>
>>6055976
Very nice and true
>t. Computer Engine
>>
>>6055934
Wow so youre gay then?
>>
>>6055976
This is the same analogy as OP
>>
>>6055972
lol pajeet
>>
Can I make it with 50 MB Hard drive and 10 KB RAM? No asian pc?
>>
>>6056960
if its IBM PC compatible sai 1 might work on it
>>
>>6055916
>writing an enormous walltext of pure cope instead of just fucking drawing
>>
>>6057456
>not stopping to evaluate your progress and identify weak spots instead of just trying to brute force a skill that can't be gained without deliberate practice
Literally NGMI
>>
>>6055916
>My visualization skills are horrendous, my mind is blank while I'm drawing
Do you have aphantasia?
Surprisingly I think Glen Keane has it
>>
>>6059054
I don't think it's aphantasia since I can visualize things depending on conditions, but I can't hold them in my mind for long, even if I look at a reference and try to memorize the thing I'm seeing to put down on the canvas, it evaporates super quickly and I need to take another look, I just can't seem to be able to hold visual information very long, and it hinders my ability to create from scratch as well since as I'm coming up with new ideas for a design to old ones are disappearing
>>
>>6055937
RAM is paper + pencil and an eraser
You can write anything and erase it at will, whenever.
ROM is a book. You can read whatever's printed on it but you can't change anything.
>>6056541
Indeed and both are wrong because they fail to take into account ROM is read-only.
>>
>>6055916
how about you use a reference then you dumbnig
>>
>>6059405
Your analogy is 2 different inputs and outputs. You aren’t copying the contents of the book onto your paper. You run instructions sets and copy data from ROM.

The house is the RAM that the content is being written to. You check out the book, but it is temporary. You don’t change the content of the books. What else you do in your house is your business. Maybe you use the book to modify other parts of your home.
>>
>>6059468
What you read from the ROM and where you put it is not really important for the analogy.
It's the literal meaning of RAM and ROM that I went with and both RAM's and ROM's can be built for different purposes.
>>
>>6057456
>a greentext and two paragraphs is "an enormous walltext"
ngmi

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.