[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How long did it take you? I just want a general gauge. I'm guessing it will take around a year and half to go through twice
>>
you can finish it in a week
>>
>>6057702
I'm talking about copying all of the drawings twice, not including heads
>>
>>6057708
2 weeks
>>
1 week for the first copy
1 month for the second copy
>>
>>6057760
Are you supposed to trace the first time?
>>
>>6057779
wtf tracing? get outta here, kid
>>
>>6057690
I'm currently drawing every sketch twice. I've been doing it everyday for the past month and i'm over halfway done with the book. Shouldn't"t take more that two months if you're doing it twice for at least two hours a day without reading anything since most of the word dont actually help you to get a better understanding of the anatomy apart from the names of the muscles and bones.
>>
>>6057690
frank frazetta did it in a week or so.

but the average ngmi dopamine fried /ic/ anon might really take a year or longer
>>
>>6057690
i don't understand what's his thing
why should i even approach it when there's hampton vilppu loomis and others? legit question, i'm curious, his drawings(on the cover) look like scratchy gestures to me.

>>6057779
idk about him, but my approach to hampton:
trace every shape he used to construct trying to guess the order of operation and perspective, erase, redraw, if shit, redraw, if shit again, go further and come back to it next day. i'm a noob
>>
>>6057708
Sounds like you're doing this to approach the method David Finch suggested.
Doing that right now, spending a good 6-8 hours a day copying. I'm half way in, but know the second attempt is going to be very difficult and will take much longer.
>>
File: 1652401359520.png (244 KB, 856x720)
244 KB
244 KB PNG
wtf, how important is accuracy? I'm doing Morpho right now and these drawings are taking me hours
>>
>>6058320
As important as you want it to be
>>
listen man dont waste time refining every drawing to the point of "cute little study page" to post here or twitter for (You)s and compliments. study consciously; you're using thid exercise to learn bridgmans abstractions for different anatomy parts. so copy a drawing and keep copying more until you understand each shape in 3d space, so you can recreate it in any angle you'd need, alongside any alterations caused by stretching/pinching etc.
>>
>>6058329
I'm not worried at all about showing it to people, I just assumed accuracy was of the utmost importance for studies like this to help understand what the author is doing. I'll try going faster today
>>
>>6058336
oh yeah accuracy, sure, who knows idk, you'll get more accurate with more practice. make it practical for yourself so that you can use it for your own projects and ideas. Eventually you'll be comfortable enough to make your own stylisations, or maybe you'l completely imitate his style cause you find it works with your ideas perfectly
>>
>>6058320
I takes me around 2h to copy 4 pages (like, page 42, 43, 44, 45) of Morpho simplified volumes, to give you an idea; trad, ballpoint pen, small sketchbook. I'm not rushing it, but I'm not being overly cautious either.

IMO if you want to practice accuracy, use Bargue plates, or some better quality drawings. Morpho drawings are overall ugly; they are made to communicate some very technical ideas, not accuracy, not aesthetic
>>
>>6058456
Don't you need a plumb bob and enlarged copies of the plates to use Barge properly?

At least that's what I heard from people who went to Atelier art schools

Also, how can I tell which Bargue plates are legit and which ones are poorly made by his students with no logic to the lines?
>>
>>6058467
>Also, how can I tell which Bargue plates are legit and which ones are poorly made by his students with no logic to the lines?
You're over thinking it, as the idea is to get the accuracy of the lines to train your eye.
You're not picking up bad habits from the "poor barge plates", you're trying to understand how the steps are simplified as to make something interesting and complex.
>>
>>6058467
>Don't you need a plumb bob and enlarged copies of the plates to use Barge properly?
You can use that, but you don't. Working from the book is fine. Atelier people aren't necessarily doing it right!

>Also, how can I tell which Bargue plates are legit and which ones are poorly made by his students with no logic to the lines?
I don't get what you mean; the book is here: https://archive.org/details/C.BargueDrawingCourse, you just try to reproduce the plates as precisely as you can. You could use other drawings, but those were made to teach students with poor overall skills (beginners).

You can self-evaluate accuracy by using layers on drawing software.
>>
File: 1580442813323.jpg (34 KB, 431x502)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>6058320
Accuracy might just be the most important thing, anon

>>6058110
make sure to go back over it a second time with memory drawing. It's a whole other beast

>>6058310
stop tracing. Copy Bridgman

>>6058314
Like I said earlier, 1 week for the first copy was all it took me, but a whole month for the second copy. That was me going 8-12 hours a day because of my autistic focus. Memory drawing is very hard at first, but you start to be able to predict what kind of lines he uses to draw what body-parts: he repeats the same lines over and over again, so you start to think like Bridgman

>>6058456
That's a really good pace. Doing it too quickly kills the value in the practice
>>
>>6058974
>Like I said earlier, 1 week for the first copy was all it took me, but a whole month for the second copy. That was me going 8-12 hours a day because of my autistic focus. Memory drawing is very hard at first, but you start to be able to predict what kind of lines he uses to draw what body-parts: he repeats the same lines over and over again, so you start to think like Bridgman

How was your progress after the Bridgman copies? Did you enjoy your art after said journey?
In my case, I finished and drew something before I started, as to compare After I'm done with this exercise.
>>
>>6058974
>1 week
>8-12 hours per day doing only Bridgman
Why wouldn't you say that the first time?
>>
Is complete guide better than constructive anatomy, I was planning to start a bridgman study but maybe I should change to complete guide
>>
>>6058974
>That's a really good pace. Doing it too quickly kills the value in the practice
Yup, and I already practice much slower elsewhere; my goal is to internalize the simplified form, learn to draw directly without erasing. I could work more from memory thought.

I've just finished a sketchbook today, with Morpho;I'm going to start drilling Bridgman now. Already did to some degree in the past, but I aim at a full pass this time, perhaps working more with memory, or "improving" the drawings along the way, rather than simply copying
>>
>>6059001
In the long run, doesn't really matter. Just put the work in
>>
>>6059008
Okeydokes I’ll start my constructive anatomy study this afternoon.
>>
>>6057690
I copied the whole thing in a week or so
>>
File: road-rage.jpg (107 KB, 1280x720)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>6057779
Tracing art is like cutting the noodles in Italian cooking

You fucking philistine.
>>
>>6059071
>food analogy
>>
>>6057690
Seeing these people say a week is insane to me. I’ve been doing this for months; then again some days, I don’t do it at all (I try to, daily) and it’s not all I’m focusing on. I also try constructing and planning proportions, which takes time. I guess I need to strictly focus on this book and knock it out instead of dragging it out
>>
>>6059089
>implying
>>
>>6057690
>>who's brave enough to record themselves copying bridgman?
>>
>>6059090
Some people are rushing it, some people have talent. Do it at your own pace.

>>6059112
No eating, no drinking, toilet under the chair. Who said being famous is hard?
>>
>>6059090
Yeah I'm glad I asked, because my expectations were way off. Kind of a relief, I was ready to spend a year on it lol
>>
>bridgeman shilling
krenzfags lost
>>
>>6058985
It was really good, but I'd already been figure drawing for 6 years at that point, so the improvement for me was marginal compared to what it could do for you. I just did it because of Finch's promise "You'll make it if you do this" The biggest takeaway for me was the process of improvement. Memory drawing is really helpful and I apply it all the time to manga I'm studying.

Actually, I don't know if beginners could manage to do Bridgman as quickly as I did it.

>>6058995
I said it in other threads, just didn't want to repeat it

>>6059004
imo Morpho might be much better than Bridgman, in terms of solidity and construction, it just didn't exist when Finch was learning. Bridgman's figures have better design, but I refer to Morpho's constructions a lot more, especially for hands and feet
>>
>>6059160
>imo Morpho might be much better than Bridgman, in terms of solidity and construction
Yup; I consider studying Bridgman as some kind of deciphering game, Morpho are more explicit, but gosh I can't bear the vision of those half-baked disproportional faces
>>
>>6059260
Honestly, I just skipped the faces.
>>
>>6059267
Can't blame you;didn't finished them either. I've ran out of space for the end of the lower limbs+feet;maybe I'll still spend some time on those, now that you've mentioned the feet
>>
>>6057690
Around 5 months, realistically speaking, unless you're able to grind the book without getting burned out, plus the complementary stuff you (should) do each chapter aside from the book content. Its a good book
>>
>>6059160
My question on this is; if I do the David Finch "challenge", will copying the Bridgman book help me understand how to approach drawing better or will it just make me draw more like Bridgman?
I've gone through Vilppu and Hampton, and I felt they were really good. But I wonder how much Bridgman would change me.
>>
>>6059285
you don't need to copy Bridgman. He teaches the same stuff as Vilppu and Hampton, essentially, which is just anatomy and the description of form
>>
>>6059302
I'm copying Bridgman!! David said I'll make if it I did his exercise, and goddamnitt I will!!! I WILL AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME!!
>>
>>6059285
It depends on how you copy anon. By now, you should have a good idea on what kind of sub-skills you can develop, and which ones you need to pay attention to
>>
>>6057690
Frazetta did it in 24 hours
>>
>>6059847
Brigdman copied Chuck Norris before the Big Bang
>>
>>6059847
That's been debunked. It took him a week.
>>
>>6058336
With drawing practice, I like to stop at around 80-85%.
The last 20% takes a longer time to do than you would think and you obviously aren’t going to get as much out of it.
Think of it like using a big spoon to scrape the cream off the top until you have to switch to a small spoon to scrape the bottom. Stop once you get to the small spoon and just move on to the next drawing. This way you’re in big spoon mode at all times.
It’s good to occasionally take a drawing to 100% though, just so you can maintain this ability and keep your finishing skills sharp. When you go full tryhard like this is the time where you really put all your newfound skills together and that’s where you crystallize the abilities into your system. Don’t end up like one of these guys who only knows how to go big spoon. Big spoon does all the work but small spoon gets all the credit. If you don’t have small spoon then you won’t get any credit from viewers.
>>
>>6058486
>>6058958
Thanks anons
>>
Draw to understand don't draw just to copy. One week.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.