[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 1659737226358685.jpg (41 KB, 772x397)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>Just draw bro LMAO
>>
>>6199609
Yes. And now get the fuck back to drawing.
>>
>>6199609
this, but unironically
>>
File: drawgirl.png (194 KB, 1548x1392)
194 KB
194 KB PNG
>>6199609
Seriously though, how long would it take to go from pic rel to professional level? Or at least intermediate?
>>
>>6199609
You realize the image you posted is about expensive equipment not being a substitute for skill and practice, right?
>>
>>6199617
it depends on your goal, what's "pro level" for you?
>>
>>6199617
probably 3 or 4
>>
>>6199619
Kyu Bum Lee is my idol and my goal is for him to notice me and be my friend or something. I post here a lot and have taken advice with the art and science of drawing. I also know anons are probably annoyed by me too as I post quite a bit. It just frustrates me because I have drawn since I was a kid but never bothered to learn real draftsmanship and I see all these far better artists on twitter.
>>
>>6199609
Have you drawn today? Pyw
>>
File: bird.png (1.53 MB, 4800x3300)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB PNG
>>6199624
Here's some construction for a bird study from art and science.
>>
>>6199629
how long did that drawing take?
>>
>>6199617
Why did you delete your thread?
>>
>>6199632
I think around 15 mins or so. It's unfinished, gonna be doing another bird. Doing all the details is kinda intimidating.
>>
>>6199635
Embarrassment. I didn't want to fill the board with my art. I already whine constantly.
>>
File: 91480669.png (556 KB, 711x785)
556 KB
556 KB PNG
>>6199637
>>6199638
Draw more and longer. Finish the fucking bird.
>>
>>6199638
I thought your girl drawing was cute and a thread about posting art is better than what we usually get so idk.
>>
>>6199640
Jesus Christ is that real?
>>
File: IIVPtNR.jpg (118 KB, 1280x720)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>6199644
Yes.
>>
>>6199609
>no charcoal sticks
>no W&N ink flask
>no japanese stylographs

shit image
>>
>>6199609
Why does he have a tablet on the table if he's gonna use paper?
>>
>>6199696
see >>6199618
>>
>>6199609
>draw everyday
>people make fun of me
>people want me to quit
>people keep telling me i never improve
I don't like this place, i wish i could leave
>>
File: 1651673964554.png (309 KB, 1575x2315)
309 KB
309 KB PNG
>>6199716
Really?
Even I >>6199617 have never had anyone here tell me to quit. Most anons have been really nice and helpful.
>>
>>6199716
You probably just have a very terrible taste in art. Stop idolizing shit art and instead look at good art. Develop a personality. Draw what you need to draw.
>>
>>6199720
Anon, people once took art that i did poorly where made the forehead too big and edit it to make the forehead worse then post the edit in a thread i visit sometimes, claiming it as there own and laughing at it.
This happened another time when i did the fingers poorly too.
I stopped visiting /asg/ for this, they just kept shitting on me.
There was even one dude in an /ic/ discord i know, just kept dropping subtle hints about me, about how terrible some artists on this board are, named shit i in particular did, to a point i just stopped going to that discord too.
I legit wish i could just leave this place.
>>
File: 4ef.jpg (721 KB, 818x912)
721 KB
721 KB JPG
>>6199716
>>6199739
Just stop being a bitch.

I know how you feel, a group wronged you and you feel as if every brushstroke has to prove them wrong, you are probably overly emotional and self conscious and it infects your art and makes it a stilted lifeless mess.

Just stop being a bitch, seriously. I know its harsh but I'd say this to my past self too. Keep studying, keep creating. Do it because you love art and/or whatever you are drawing, and not because you want to prove a bunch of losers wrong. You will never scratch that itch and proving them wrong doesn't make the insecurity go away and there will ALWAYS be a subset of people who like and dislike your art respectively. It's a matter of right place and right time. The thing is, your self worth should never be defined by either group.

There are currently an endless amount of situations where your art could be praised or shat on, imagine it like a branching parallel universe thing. You could post in one community right now and get asspats, or post in another and get shat on. It means nothing, you are not good just because you posted on reddit, you are not bad just because you posted on 4chan. Just strive for objective fundamental improvements, and strive to make whatever art you truly want to make.M aybe attend courses too where you can get objective crits from good teachers. All else is pointless.

/ic/ and any related communities are a tiny corner of the art world, you are much mistaken if you think this is the most objective place in the world or that you are by default hopeless just because some nodraw crabs said so.
>>
>>6199840
good advice, anon
>>
>>6199617
1) get decent at fundies (perspective, rendering, anatomy)
2) pick an artist you admire and copy their shit, draw a lot and think a lot (naoki sato method)

Thats it, simple
>>
File: Go draw.png (146 KB, 880x882)
146 KB
146 KB PNG
>>
>>6199955
Based and checked
>>
>>6199874
Is rendering really part of the fundamentals?
>>
>>6199640
>eight legged abomination
Ewwwww!!!!
>>6199646
>it's actually just babies nesseled up under momma bird
Awwwwwww :D
>>
>>6200060
Its a mix of color theory and values.
I wouldn't consider it a fundamental though since it exists in more of a technical aspect of drawing that's heavily subject to the medium and style of choice.

But what people consider "rendering" is subject to change as well.
>>
File: 1467075919757.jpg (59 KB, 700x494)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>6200062
pls do not disrespect eight-legged abominations
>>
>>6200073
It also commonly involve texturing too, no?
>>
>>6200077
I'd consider textures a subset of values/color theory.
At least when I was learning values it was heavily focused on the type of object you were drawing and how different materials cause lighting and shadow to change. But things could have just been conflated.
>>
File: rendering.jpg (113 KB, 618x913)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>6200077
It includes that, but rendering is a verb that speaks of how something is done, the what being done is implied.
>>
>>6199609
really though, draw all day every day and actually THINK while doing it. It's never too late to learn.
>>
>>6199739
Jesus how bad could you possibly be?
>>
>just draw
>want to draw a scene with two people
>that's at least an hour of searching for references for suitable poses
>another hour thumbnailing to see if it it'll even look good
>another hour sketching
>have to start over and find a new pose
>4 hours in and the canvas is still blank
>just draw
>>
>>6200506
Half the process is knowing how you want the final product to look like. You're retarded if you don't know what poses you want your characters to have and what emotions are they supposed to express.
Also don't erase all your shit and start from scratch again, draw over it and fix whatever needs fixing, if you don't know what needs fixing study more fundies.
It's all so simple but you fuckers find the way to fuck up the learning curve.
>>
>>6200514
>you're retarded
ok, and? Is that your argument? I am retarded. I have anti-talent.
>>
>>6200506
the progress you described is opposite of "just draw" tho.
>>
>>6199617
0 days
>>
>>6200617
Just quit then.
Drawing is obviously not for you.
I'd say post your work but all you can manage is a blank canvas since you have anti-talent.
But you could be very well chasing art so you can complain and get attention for sucking because it's easier than drawing to get attention
What a pathetic existence lmao
Quit your life while you're at it lol
>>
File: birdd.png (1.86 MB, 4800x3300)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB PNG
>>6199640
Not the same bird but made this in an hour and 10 mins today. It isn't good though.
>>
File: House_sparrow04.jpg (289 KB, 1600x1067)
289 KB
289 KB JPG
>>6200696
Original reference.
>>
>>6199716
Don't burn yourself out anon. Drawing when you're completely burnt out is more harmful than drawing for fun. Just draw what you enjoy drawing, and if something interests you, maybe you can look up reference images so that you can understand, visualize and draw it better.
>>
just subscribe to one of the ai services lmao
>>
>>6200757
never
>>
What exactly do you learn from just drawing?
>>
>>6200110
All I can think about while drawing are questions to which I can't find answers. I don't understand drawing well enough to see any logic to it, and without that foundation I can't really puzzle anything out for myself. Normally I would expect a bit of research to fix this issue, but books about drawing have been bizarrely unhelpful.

>>6200514
>draw over it
How do you draw over something without it becoming an unreadable mess? Besides, if one line is wrong, then inevitably a ton of other lines are going to be wrong because their positions were calculated based on the faulty line, so redrawing the entire thing seems simpler than trying to somehow fix it.

>if you don't know what needs fixing study more fundies.
The fundies largely strike me as solutions to problems that I have yet to encounter. I am nowhere near good enough to care about things like stiff poses or my drawings looking flat; I have far bigger issues. They also always seem to be taught in a vacuum completely isolated from the other fundamentals and the actual process of drawing, so I struggle to see what I'm actually supposed to do with them.
>>
>>6202099
It's okay anon, you're just retarded. It means you're free to do something else in life.
>>
>>6199739
>Anon, people once took art that i did poorly where made the forehead too big and edit it to make the forehead worse then post the edit in a thread i visit sometimes, claiming it as there own and laughing at it.
Holy shit that's so funny. I wish that would happen to me.
>>
>>6199716
pyw
>>
>>6199624
I'd honestly do life drawing, it'll help you understand how the more cartoony drawings get their style from and how they simplify real world body parts. also, learn the line of action, it's what brings so much life to drawings.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.