[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1612457411219.png (38 KB, 1000x450)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
What is the best and worst art advice you've seen on /ic/?
>>
>>6199999
Best- just draw
Worst- Just dont draw
>>
>>6199999
>best art advice
Do master studies
>worst art advice
X is a beg trap
>>
best - just draw
worst - loomis
>>
>>6200003
What are Master studies and how do I make them
>>
File: caravaggio_call_matt.jpg (1.07 MB, 1283x1200)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>6200029
You find an old master, and you apply all your skills towards copying his work as precisely as possible.
>>
>>6199999
I've never once seen a person who says "work smarter" who wasn't a scumbag asshat trying to cheat his way through life.
While there are more efficient ways to do things, everything worth doing requires hard work eventually.
>>
>>6200043
That's a given but "hard workers" nearly kill themselves for little gain and are so mindbroken by it that they're proud of it. It's like telling someone using flashcards to memorize a bunch of shit that digital flashcards exist and are more efficient and less cumbersome and time consuming for multiple reasons and he spits in your face. While I don't believe that there is a "most optimal" way to do any given thing, there are a hell of a lot of bad ones.
>>
>>6200051
Sure but drawing as a relevant example.
There is no "easy way" and everything just requires thousands of hours of drawing.

Everyone who cries about "working smarter" is a perma/beg/ forever collecting resources without just drawing for 10,000 hours and gitting gud.
The weird autism examples are the exception and are caused by unironic autism.
>>
>>6200032
>as precisely as possible
no, you’re there to analyse and reconstruct relevant technique exhibited in the painting, not make a reproduction
you’re not autistically measuring relative distances, gridding, putting every leaf in the same exact place, etc
I’m not saying you implied you do, but someone who doesn’t understand the concept of a study would probably take it that way
>>
>>6200054
The art equivalent would be actually using the tools available vs being retarded and brute forcing it.
>not using reference
>not using 3d for basic composition
>not using liquify
>insisting on doing everything with muh hrb
People will unironically do all of the above and insist everyone who uses those tools to accomplish the same result they do in 1/10 the time to be hacks and lack real skill.
>>
>>6200054
Mindful application of skills is one way of working smarter. Breaking skills into meaningful and manageable chunks applies as well.

>>6200055
It's a google question he could have answered for himself in the time it took a reply to come in. Someone who doesn't put in least effort gets what he gets.
>>
>>6200058
>insist everyone who uses those tools to accomplish the same result they do in 1/10 the time to be hacks and lack real skill.
and they'd be right.
Using 3D sucks and takes way more time than just learning how to thumbnail.
Liquify always looks like ass and requires a bunch of corrections anyways, just stop being a pussy and erase it.
>>
>>6200063
>t. doesn’t work
Every time.
>>
>>6200068
Sorry kiddo, I'm an AI developer for one of the largest companies in the world.
>>
>>6200070
So you don’t work.
lrn2context
>>
>>6200002
This is the only relevant advice. The amount of people on /ic that refuses to practice is mind boggling.
>>
>>6199999
Best: Using Asaro Heads
Worst: Only draw pencil Portraits for a year before learning to render with color
I guess the worst advice sort of helped me draw realism consistently even without a reference, but it made me want to rope when I had to paint stuff.
>>
>>6200002
don't just draw
>>
>>6199999
nice quints

I've never gotten good advice from ic
>>
>>6199999
>factory orders a cube
>smug retard delivers a sphere
>retard gets fired
>"Wooooow"
>>
>>6200267
a sphere is just a box, retard
>>
>>6200302
based esoteric Vilppu initiate
>>
>>6200099
Mindless doodling isn’t “practice.”
>>
>>6200370
A genius.
>>
>>6199999
Best: no rules, just tools.

Worst: take your time. Start with a pencil and paper. Do 250 cubes challenge.
>>
just draw and stop looking for easy ways out of actually grinding your fundies
>>
>>6200438
and the best advice?
>>
File: blu.png (1.76 MB, 1920x1080)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB PNG
>>6199999
Best - Thumbnailing
Worst - Grind Perspective for 10000 hours
>>
>>6200460
There is no better advice than 'just draw'.
>>
>>6200476
There is no worse advice than 'just draw'.
>>
draw just
>>
>>6200582
Sky is blue
Clowns gonna clown
>>
>>6200063
3d's place is if you are making a comic, and your setting it in a recurring place, at that point its better to have a 3d model to work off of so you never pull locations out of your ass.
or if you are bending perspective in a very weird way, lets say you have a chair and want to put the camera/viewer looking down from the ceiling, while you could block the perspective in, its just so much faster to use at the very least cube primitives to get the perspective put in perfectly. this is a case where even if you are a perspective master, the work needed to lay it in far exceeds the work it would take to cube it in 3d.

>>6200058
its the reason I got some thick ass lead, there is 0 hope of me being able to make detail with it in any meaningful way, but god damn does it help with blocking in, because its a 1 inch thick piece of graphite, its also hard to get value down with it too, so even pressing relatively hard you are still putting down light marks, helps a lot with composition because you put down very eraceable lines, even if you are just doing line work, I find this far faster than even doing rough sketches.

>>6200043
If you are not studying
If you are not looking at something to draw and figuring out where you are failing by having an example right next to you to reference failings
if you are just scribbling shit from 'imagination'
you are just pissing your time away not improving. Just draw is such a fucking retarded thing to tell people to do, as it gives them absolutely 0 direction and no way to self evaluate their failures. without teaching someone how to study, you are just wasting their fucking time.

there is working hard, smashing your head against a wall hoping to win the lottery, and there is working smart, knowing you have to at least buy a ticket to win the lottery.
>>
>>6199999
Checked
Best? Dad
Worst? Skipping fundies
>>
>>6199999
>Best
Leave /ic/.
Most people are just parotting and don't know what they are talking about.
>Worst
Just draw.
You can draw 10,000 times the same thing, doing the same mistakes over and over and you won't get any better. Break things down and learn how to study instead.
>>
>>6199999
Best - Learn theory, then draw
Worst - "Just Draw"
>>
>>6200002
>Best- just draw
Unironically the worst I've seen, I've known plenty of artists that "just draw" and go nowhere developmentally because they fall into shitty routines they struggle to get out of.

Just drawing is better than not drawing, but drawing aimlessly without clear objectives and observation/self-criticism can be highly damaging.
>>
>>6201087
>1 inch thick piece of graphite
what the fuck, post pics
>>
>>6200473
How do I thumbnailing? Any material that explains it?
>>
>>6199999
is this thread suppose to be ironic?
>>
>>6202584
too much autism on this site for irony
>>
File: graphite sticks.jpg (54 KB, 735x743)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>6202576
Probably a graphite stick, basically a jumbo crayon sized graphite pencil. Good for loosening up your strokes and shifting focus away from details, great when used on a large paper with elbow and shoulder motion.
>>
>>6200002
this
also, "just draw" is exactly the equivalent to "work harder", which is the only way to learn how to do it "smarter" irl
>>
>>6202680
>newfag spouts bullshit
>>
>>6199999
>>
>>6199999
>best
long gdoc file about motivation and enjoying drawing/developing a style, wish I still had it
>worst
browsing ic
>>
>>6202576
my bad, its 3/4th inch thick
https://www.dickblick.com/products/cretacolor-chunky-graphite-stick/

>>6202594
yea, I think it also works good for wanting to block in things, as it makes such a light mark due to the area it touches you can easily put down sub 10% of its total value even pressing kind of hard.
>>
>>6200002
based
/thread
>>
Best. - le draw
Worst. - le don't draw
>>
>>6202792
Pyw.
>>
>>6200003
>X is a beg trap
Any /beg/ reading this, heed this mans advice. You'll find out soon enough everything deemed by this board is a beg trap.
>>
File: 1658915072162.png (670 KB, 1280x720)
670 KB
670 KB PNG
>Best
Just draw.
>Worst
Just draw.
>>
>>6199999
>best
analyze what you see
>worst
just copy
>>
>>6199999
Best:
>have fun drawing
Worst:
>the drawing must be perfect
>>
The best is advice I've given. The worse is advice everyone else has given :)
>>
>>6199999
>where cube
>>
>>6199999
>Best
Start with perspective
>Worst
Perspective is not needed
>>
>>6204749
are you me?
>>
>>6199999
>Best
Draw and self-evaluate while setting goals
>Worst
"ai is going to take us all over uuah!!! quit now!!"
>>
>>6200063
>he cant 3D
Making a layout with primitives and prefabs takes a couple of minutes, and lighting is as easy as dropping a HDR and rotating it until it looks interesting.
>>
Best: Stop. Maybe KYS.
Worst: Read Loomis.
>>
>>6200027
I'm gonna tell you the biggest secret ever
Loomis is the best, but you need to actually read his schizo ramblings, the pictures don't matter at all. All the secrets are on his ramblings. About the art industry, how to work, how to get work, he tells you to cheat too and steal
That's the big secret
>>
>>6201564
"Theory" in this case would mean fundamentals?
>>
>>6202583
thumbnails are literally just small sketches, you don't need a guide for that
>>
>>6199999
How did he turn his cube into the sphere?
>>
cubes are actually better than spheres for drawing
>>
>>6200135
>Worst: Only draw pencil Portraits for a year before learning to render with color
This is good advice. Color is easy if you understand value.
>>
File: adv ic e.png (22 KB, 1874x154)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>6199999
Best: Pic related.
Worst: "Just trace, normies don't care"

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.