[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Letter-Bee.jpg (229 KB, 1000x750)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
Thoughts on 2000s era anime art styles?
>>
Soulful with great shapes.
>>
>>6288544
Sometimes I like to think how beautiful art would be today if digital painting tools were never invented. There is a direct correlation between the drop in quality and increased use of digital tools. It's a tragedy really.
>>
>>6288558
IA is also going to make a number
>>
>>6288558
there is a tendency to laziness with technology, the same thing happens with music, the more comfort there is, the more laziness is generated, I think the fault lies in not knowing how to use the tools
>>
>>6288581
You already have to use textures brushes to replicate simple analog artifacts and effects, and have a good knowledge of color theory and familiarity with specific gamuts just to imitate the natural look of people using inks and physical paints of all kinds.

In short, you need more knowledge to obtain effects and looks people with far less knowledge used to obtain naturally in the past. I'd say 80% of /ic/ likely never tried anything other than a pen brush and a couple other basic brushes in RGB mode with a copy-pasted palette. It's not even a criticism, just a fact. As an artist, every new tool, style or technique you learn will increase your value.
>>
>>6288544
Extremely based used of Tegami Bachi
Unironically one of my biggest inspirations and I'm striving to create my own mailman narrative thanks to it

I'll bump you with Shoulder a Coffin Kuro
Another that greatly inspires me!
Give me a second, I have another title too
>>
>>6288929
>>6288544
Nightmare Inspector: Yumekui Kenbun is also a big inspiration of mine
A charming series

I'll get one more actually....
>>
File: Guilt-na.full.1308935.jpg (164 KB, 757x1056)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>6288938
>>6288544
Vampire Doll Guilt-na-zan
When i think about it, I'm not sure if I ever finished this one... So I can't really say if it's any good. I recall enjoying the first three or so volumes at least. Definitely more on the shoujo side of mid-2000s manga styles
>>
>>6288544
Even the digital ones had more soul than now
>>
>>6288558
why are tradfags so fucking retarded
>>
>>6288544
as long as it's not fuckin Clannad
>>
>>6288619
In traditional art there is no ctrl+z
>>
>>6289103
why are digitalfags such fucking offended fagots
>>
>>6289103
At least the tradchads are not scared of the ai, unlike digifags
>>
>>6289103
>the AI is going to kill the art, it has to be stopped
>>
>>6288544
I love them. Nostalgic and cozy.
>>
>>6288544
I would say the 2000s style was edgy, serious, detailed and emotionally detached. Clearly takes great inspirations from both evangelion and yuyu hakusho. Likes to use lots crispy angular lines. Tends to have less cartoony ideals and more affinity for pragmatic presentation. Popularized the anime protagonist look and school settings. Its also partially responsible for the rise of moe
>>
>>6288544
Had some pretty good stuff, the last era before digital took over and everything became bland looking.
>>
File: 1652659065715.png (1007 KB, 1248x702)
1007 KB
1007 KB PNG
>>6288544
I'm not really familiar with Anime and manga styles, but 2000s artists amateur or professionals, really fucking referenced this shitty goblin shit. I fucking hated it and I fucking worked in Liquid Entertainment and in Blizzard for a short while.

It's all Gollum and copycats of Joe Madureira. It's fucking madness.
>>
File: tegami_bachi_1_9.jpg (158 KB, 1200x954)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>6288544
HOLY GOD HOLY GOD HOLY GOD
>be me
>elementary school
>family poor as shit
>had a very good friend
>he had a subscription to this massive like 2 inch thick monthly english Shonen Jump
>every month when I came to school ther would be a massive book waiting for me on my desk
>he said that for some reason they always sent him an extra book (I think he was lying just to make me happy)
>was the highlight of my month and I cherished those books as my most prized possessions
Oliver if you are out there I want you to know that I love you!
>years later
>he moves away
>we lose touch
>parents throw out all those books for some reason I can't even fathom
>I have flash backs and memories from reading things in there. Find some by googling (like bobobobo) some where obvious (one piece) but can never find this one about the mailman boy using his soul gun to kill a giant beetle monster.
I remember the art was mind blowing. I have a terrible memory but I still remember some scenes vividly.
>See this post
>it hits me like a brick
Btw if anyone has a link to scans of those english Shonen Jump anthologies that ran for a few years in the 2000's I would suck you off so hard you have no idea. My whole childhood is in those books and losing them was one of my top life regrets :(
>>
Bump
>>
>>6289723
GG anon. If it helps any, Japan itself surely has archived the shonen jump volumes. Though they're probably in Japanese.... At the very least though, you can look up the shonen jump title list and browse what they had for the 2000s. Shonen Jump lists every title, canceled, oneshot, or otherwise.
>Tfw you miss the cute bonus items like CDs that were in the mags
Good times... I got a few Yu-Gi-Oh cards too
>>
File: 1641545676558.png (2.53 MB, 1219x1750)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB PNG
>>6288544
Very charming. I like it.
In my opinion, some if not most of Murata Range's art still carries the charm and feel of 2000's era anime.
>>
>>6288544
They were the peak, everything from moe works to more gritty stuff were at their best and most varied
>>
>>6289555
nah, in trad paint you can paint over and you can erase your pencil lines a lot if you keep them light. For color or rendering the lack of undo is a benefit when learning because you quickly learn what works and what doesn't. With undo you can paint over the same area in a million different way so without guidance beginners get lost. In analog, once you've wasted enough oil paint you learn to be careful instead of downloading 5 new brush packs
>>
>>6288547
>>6288544
Gabe?
>>
File: 20220923_185515.jpg (1.56 MB, 2212x4248)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>6290113
Unlike most of /ic/, Gabe is actually drawing
>>
File: 1633354887694.jpg (131 KB, 750x996)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
I miss when everything wasn't the same style
>>
File: DxtvhBQW0AA2Mpd.jpg (477 KB, 1394x1418)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
>>6289891
More Rockman Zero
>>
>>6290220
Whoever designed these pants was either an idiot or a genius depending on who you ask. I dont read moonrune, can someone tell me if this is a manga about rollerblading and if so what's it called en englais plz?
>>
>>6290265
Title says Air Gear. presumably about rollerblading, judging from the fact they're both wearing rollerblades...
>>
>>6290265
assless chaps are a real thing bro
>>
File: 85169l.jpg (110 KB, 311x450)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
I really enjoyed this manga called Sand Land as a kid. It was just a few volumes but really good fun. The vehicle designs where awesome. The tanks kinda reminded you something of an American Sherman tank and all in all the story was quite grounded.
>>
>>6288544

My favorite ''era''. I wish I comprehended the coloring and other general aspects of it so I could imitate it better.
>>
>>6290878
Toriyama's one shots were the tits.
>>
>>6290220
The anime had such a god-tier soundtrack, which is a shame because the show was a total piece of shit.
>>
>>6288544
It could be just nostalgia, what's true though is that this thread made me want to draw more.
>>
I'm not going to let 00s thread die this early, they're the best
>>
Bummp
>>
F
>>
One more bump come on lads where is your SOUL
>>
I miss it, I was thinking about that just now but makes no difference because I think about it a lot. It used to have a lot more identity.

Maybe is just nostalgia but still is my goal in art to make something that makes me feel like those pictures do. I don't know, I really really like anything related to japanese media from 2003 to 2013 or so but anything past that is so dull and samy to me. I changed to western animation kinda because of that, despite being mostly for children the amount of identity and soul you can still find in to it makes it worth to me.

I blame how the industry evolved, 2000's was the golden age to japanese animation because it had the golden standard to keep the balance between the love for the craft and money and the people who were passionated for this sort of thing were the good balance between being inspired by it seeking success and also people just wanting to do their own thing. Modern anime culture is much more vein and the appeal is complete different, you lost that sense of simplicity and almost love that I feel for the stuff that it used to have. In the more technical aspect I think the shift from being more cartoony and stylized proportion wise to general standards and realism also kinda capped the level of identity is permitted, most moes look the same since they need to look moe but they don't try to get out of the box of what moe is, so everything end up looking the same and anything that is not moe also ends up looking the same since they need to match a certain look and quality that the public is looking for, this used to be less of an issue.

Pitty no less, but at least I lived the tail end of this world, I pity much more the ones that never could.
>>
>>6289045
is this supposed to be soulful?
>>
>>6288619
Yeah, when I used to do a lot of watercolor stuff I always felt it was a bit easier because I could just let the paint do what it wanted on the page/canvas.

Trying to achieve traditional styles on digital media is probably the hardest thing, because you're given so many options for control, and the human brain tends to freeze up when it's given too many decisions to make.

With traditional painting physics does some of that for you.
I think the highest level of skill for me would be the ability to recreate traditional art in digital media.
>>
File: 1638348663352.png (1.58 MB, 852x1122)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB PNG
>>6289891
Who is this artist?
Their work looks like Kenki Teraoka's a bit, but I don't think he's ever worked on MegaMan or Capcom.
I have another piece from that artist here
>>
>>6289103
>______ is retarded
I hate this website's all purpose reply templates.
>>
>>6300153
toru nakayama @meka_moru_4se

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.