[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: coobes.jpg (40 KB, 700x315)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Is cubing worth it?
>>
File: Barnishing p0ntz.png (115 KB, 1708x843)
115 KB
115 KB PNG
Holy shit dude, the point is to at least try
Idk if these are your cubes but if they are I'll go to your house and punch you in the face.
>>
>>6290253
it's a good exercise yes. among many other equally good exercises
>>
>>6290285
Unless you draw those perspective lines from the beginning and trace the cube onto it you won't get that precision.
And there is no point to it. If I want precision I'll used CAD.
>>
>>6290378
Autistically precise cubing with vanishing points is good for two things:
1. Drawing hard surface objects and whole scenes with perspective
2. Learning perspective and correcting your perspective mistakes when you start out

If your goal is to draw anime girls (like 80% of this board), you still need cubing so you can LEARN to draw accurate 3d forms. Experienced artists don't draw vanishing points for every single form of their drawing, especially if you're drawing figures where everything is soft and you get a good amount of leeway. But they can instinctively approximate the perspective of things because of experience.

Cubing is what lets you build that initial experience.
>>
>>6290378
not him, I thought the same as you at first, but some of OP's cubes really are wonky
>>
>>6290385
For sure, but my point is the perspective on the examples from OP are good enough.
>>
File: cubes.jpg (19 KB, 977x604)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>6290416
They could be better, the bottom right cube for example has a bigger back face than front face, cause the depth lines aren't actually converging.
The cubes seen head on are a pretty big mismatch too. There isn't a lot of perspective convergence between any other set of parallels in these cubes, hinting at the image having a very long focal length (little perspective distortion). But the cubes seen directly head on suddenly have a back face that's much thinner horizontally, which would logically dictate that the back face is super deep. In reality, the vertical lines of the front and back faces would be pretty close to each other in this situation.
>>
>>6290432
I also think the top one exposed by >>6290285 points out a very interesting mistake: although the two sets of parallels (top and bottom) both converge towards a VP to the right, they don't converge with an equal intensity relative to each other. So you essentially drew a tapered box rather than a cube.
>>
>>6290385
This is the biggest crock of shit. Go look at vilppus boxes they aren't anything super precise but he's a master draftsman. If you want to do some kjg shit just use an underlay like Finch recommends (who also isn't autistically good at this).

Someone who has grinded this exercise who makes fucking bad art is that fat autist uncomfy. Even Scott - the perspective savant - doesn't put much emphasis on it.

If you want to rail a dude over this shit please pyw, or a master who recommends it.
>>
>>6290378
If you want precision you learn to draw perspective correctly. First you draw with the perspective lines and vanishing points, eventually you won't need them.
If you don't, perspective mistakes become very obvious eventually. Which is exactly what happens with those fucked up cubes.
>>
File: 9_years_boxes.jpg (89 KB, 663x750)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
Yeah!
>>
File: 22-9-24 5.png (109 KB, 810x636)
109 KB
109 KB PNG
>>6290253
ayo, this a box thread? I draw boxes as a warm up sometimes. good for kicking the sense of 3d space into your brain

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.