[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Post traditional art you’ve made for feedback
>>
Did Brian quit or not?
I'm not up to speed on /trad/ lore.
>>
>>6348246
OP's a never seen Brian pic. He made a thread recently with his face, perhaps it's still on I dunno
>>
>>6348250
I remember a thread not so long ago in which someone claiming to be Brian saying he was quitting because he got bored of painting. Which would be a dumb choice if your main income is paintings.
That being said, I'm getting very bored of looking at Brian's paintings. They aren't amazingly well done on a technical level and fail to inspire because the subject matter is as dull as bread.
>>
>>6348246
I think he’s got a girlfriend now so he doesn’t paint as much
>>
File: narg.png (942 KB, 458x695)
942 KB
942 KB PNG
wip
>>
Im new to sketching/ art in general. Taking a class in a local college. We are practicing different materials and such. This is my glass water jug
Really enjoying everything about skethching.

Does anyone sketch or paint leaves and or any other botanics. I dont know but something about greens and reds that nature has is so beautiful to me and I want to sketch/paint them.. Where should I start guys hehe...
>>
>>6348259
OK you made me look it up: here's the recent thread I was talking about >>6346580

>That being said, I'm getting very bored of looking at Brian's paintings
Yup; he knows & doesn't care much.

>>6348378
For that kind of thing, I would recommend you two things.

1) practice decomposing what you want to draw using simple geometric shapes, and learn to "draw through". this will require you to understand basic perspective when using man-made objects.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/77/f5/a1/77f5a13bbdf622025db304c27eedfa67.jpg

2) look at what more experienced people are doing in that realm, like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irs9vQGiQJo
>>
File: 20221024_221305.jpg (2.91 MB, 3381x4408)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
Here's a recent graphite/ink I did, anything to improve?
>>
>>6348397
The values are jarring because you tried to make the pencil as dark as the ink, which you’ll never do. If I were doing a mixed media of ink and pencil I would use very light pencil. That may sound counterintuitive, but stylistically it’ll look more consistent.
>>
>>6348407
it's lighter IRL, really hard to get a good picture that shows it. but I get what you mean, I'm "new" to graphite and I find controlling values hard compared to digital
>>
File: IMG_20221027_150441.jpg (703 KB, 1429x1678)
703 KB
703 KB JPG
Hadn't painted anything for months
Commissioner was really happy though
Painting is making me feel extremely insecure lately
>>
How do you achieve the style of John Bauer? Seems like he used a combination of watercolours and subtle ink lines.
>>
File: 20221020_180434.jpg (79 KB, 844x633)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
finished this commission the other day
>>
>>6348608
Lovely work! though I feel a bit more contrast would be nice, maybe make the ground darker?

>>6348422
Nice! is that markers on the collar? Perhaps doing more layers to get a consistent tone and no streaking. You've captured the face nicely.

Where do you guys get commissions? Do you have big presences on social media to get them? If so which sites are best for that? Twitter?
>>
Any advice over keeping fro using nice supplies? I've got a whole bunch of nice watercolor paper, but I don't dare use it. I feel like I have to draw/paint only certain nice motives on it, people, buildings and stuff. But I want to paint stuff less regular too, sexy aliens. Spaceships and weird biomechnical stuff. But all those artists seem to have moved to digital, but I love traditional mediums.
>>
>>6348622
It's all acrylics but yeah, the black shape is too big and uneven. The moment I finished I was like 'fuck'
The commission I got it IRL. I hadn't painted anything for well over a year, maybe year and half, but I did some nice murals so this person trusted me.
It was much less than I wanted though.
>>
>>6348338
Very cool, I like how graffiti-esque and colorful it is
>>
>>6348338
extremely cool. do you have any blog/social?
>>
>>6348338
I'll call you Omori Basquiat
>>
File: cattos.jpg (2.98 MB, 2876x2880)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB JPG
Here's some new cattos. I'll have to use November as well to finish all the Inktober prompts which sucks. But I'll push through it because it's a fun exercise in creativity.
>>
>>6348608
I like this a lot, but I like your keyboard even more
>>
I don't draw nearly as much as I used to, but I've made strides in improving on creating confident poses with flowing forms. The only problem is that I can only seem to make good art on lined paper
>>
>>6349604
pls don't do this
It may help you take your doodles "less serious" but you should make a finished drawing less than every 2000 years, anon.
>>
File: IMG_20221029_001713_494.jpg (91 KB, 1280x807)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
Gotta figure out a way to make my art less boring
>>
>>6349698
Make your art less boring by working towards only you can make. Combine things that interest you, be it techniques or subject matters. Be unique.
>>
>>6349700
Overlapping my hobbies and life experiences with art technique seems to be the greatest difficulty of all
>>
>>6349691
I see you saw my other post lol. I guess the one thing I struggle with the most is composition. I have a lot of trouble figuring out how to effectively use space/ where I should put things in a way that looks nice and all fits on one page
>>
>>6349704
You’re probably overthinking what artist proclivities entail. It could be as simple as Dali’s fascination with clocks or Picasso with roosters and bulls. Don’t overthink it.
>>
>>6349704
Work towards it. Listen to the artists you enjoy or read what they have to say.
>>
>>6349704
>>6349709
Finding an artist you admire to emulate is a great help in developing a unique style as well
>>
>>6349707
You might profit from planning out your drawings before executing them. Make small thumbnails of your drawings to see if and how things could work on your desired paper format.
Alternatively: Start drawing and cut off unused margins so your drawing is nice and in the center.
>>
File: IMG_20221024_140111.jpg (137 KB, 651x622)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>6349711
Pic related. You can make those thumbnail sketches in less than a minute and they really help.
>>
>>6349711
>>6349713
This is great advice, the thumbnails especially. I never once thought of doing that. Every time I tried planning stuff out before I’d end up erasing and resizing things so many times the paper would become rough. I’m definitely going to be doing that from now on. Thank you anon
>>
>>6349717
You're welcome and godspeed on your quest
>>
File: IMG_4220 8.49.21 AM.jpg (855 KB, 1100x876)
855 KB
855 KB JPG
new plein air set up.
>tape primed paper to old painting
>carry paint in sealable tin, clip to panel
>only need light weight easel.
i'm a genius bros
>>
File: IMG_4221.jpg (1013 KB, 1200x824)
1013 KB
1013 KB JPG
>>6349804
>>
>>6349804
>>6349807
Noïce; you can try to make a small "slider panel carrier" (where you slide in panels to which paper is taped)
>>
>>6349807
Doesn't look perfect but nonetheless soulful and cozy. I hope you have a few more weeks to paint outside before it gets too cold.
Also, where is this? Looks middle European.
>>
>>6349807
Very Camille Pissarro. I like it
>>
>>6349698
Nice. How is the Tradition pencil? I don't like their usual blue pencil because it doesn't have a chisel tip.
>>
>>6350000
I had no idea they're some special pencils, I just bought first ones I saw. They're alright but I definitely prefer drawing with charcoal or similar kind of thing
>>
>>6349821
thats a great idea.
>>6349824
it's Dschömany
>>6349923
thanks lad
>>
>>6349804
>>6349807
Looks lovely anon, I'm also working on making a plein air setup but I'm just trying things out at home first.
What kind of paint you using?
>>
File: guy of some type.png (1.6 MB, 1220x1220)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB PNG
>>6348338
well done, looks high level.
>>6349707
golden ratio plus big medium small never fails me.
>>
>>6350530
oil. just try it, it's a lot of fun
>>
Couch girl
>>
File: watercolor 1.png (1.8 MB, 1316x884)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB PNG
watercolor copy of a bierstadt painting.
i hope it's not sideways
>>
>>6351228
Unironically, the soul is here, but you may want to make those trees less geometric. It'll come with practice no worries
>>
Wip, thoughts?
>>
File: Unlimitedbrushwork2.jpg (3.84 MB, 3468x3806)
3.84 MB
3.84 MB JPG
Pure brush work
I just started but I think I addicted to it.
>>
>>6350787
I've been painting pretty much exclusively in oil, I like it a lot.
Do you also bring a folding chair or stool?
>>
>>6348630
Anyone?

>>6351228
Love the far background, how did you get those beautiful cliffs?
>>
>>6348630
>Any advice over keeping fro using nice supplies?
Personally, I felt the same way. I didn't like "burning money" by using good supplies.
But having a Patreon helped me with it. Now I consider my earnings a monthly art supplies budget and I also get to sell stuff to make more money. Having a monthly budget also helps with getting different kinds of materials and to experiment.
>>
>>6351412
Will there be something in the back of the room, or something hanging on the wall?
>>
The pop off! Business picking up again
>>
>>6351906
Business is in the pits in the UK, it's like getting blood from a stone since Christmas, and getting worse all year....
>>
>>6351906
>brian listens to nigger nazis on his cellphone
yikes
>>
File: IMG_4271.jpg (1.3 MB, 1350x880)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
I nearly shat myself while painting this one. Had some bad cheese spread for breakfast. about a 45 minute bike ride too so I was sweating to get home.
>>6351728
I like to stand so I can back up a few paces often.
>>6351906
nice one brian
>>
Why is trad not as clean/detailed as digital?
>>
>>6352013
because its real
>>
>>6352013
because it has soul
>>
>>6351917
US isn’t much better but yeah the Brits can’t catch a break
>>
>>6351799
i like atmospheric perspective so i tried to emphasize that.
the mountains towards the middle are technically the best ones i did (i say that because they are the smoothest).
the ones on the outside, or closer to the foreground, are more textured because i didn't know that i was supposed to wet the paper before applying the paint. i immediately tried to fix it and that made it worse. so then after it all dried, i went back and wetted it and then removed all the paint with a paper towel. i removed as much as i could but some of the darker purple parts remained.
after that, i wetted the paper and applied the paint properly this time.
so that's what the texture comes from. it's a base layer of mistakes.

to get the white streaks i took a flat brush, put clean water on it, and scraped some paint off.
>>
File: sdfgdfh4353425.jpg (290 KB, 1500x2000)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
First time doing a portait with oil paints.
I'm overall pretty new painting anything else than miniature Figures.

I've sketched with a pencil but it shines through. Any alternative?
>>
>>6352299
Did you thin your paints a lot or did you use a very transparent pigment?
It's not hard to paint opaque with oils, there's plenty versatility.
>>
>>6352397
Yeah I did. I think I painted like I used to.
>>
>>6352428
So you added a lot of medium? Like linseed oil?
You could also paint straight out of the tube.
But there's also this "fat over lean" principle, which ensures the painting dries in the right order to prevent it from cracking. So if you painted with a lot of medium already, you have to wait a bit until it's really really dry before you go over it with a leaner mixture.
>>
>>6351932
you realise you can shit outside right
>>
>>6352503
That's cheating and illegal.
>>
>>6351825
Gonna add some a bit more to the background but planning to keep it pretty minimal
>>
>>6352503
no shit

>>6352565
no, that's shitting

and this concludes the morning bowel jokes session. I hope you enjoyed it, merry breakfast, see you next time
>>
>>6352503
yes but I would rather not
>>
>>6348176
>>
File: 20221031_114624.jpg (548 KB, 1836x3264)
548 KB
548 KB JPG
Drew and painted a viper from Xcom. I love line and wash. Though I need a lot of practice with posing and stuff, and anatomy. Pretty much everything. But I'm pretty happy with it nonetheless. Though I feel I should have used a reference for the pose to make it less stiff and awkward. Would love some feedback.
>>
Any tips for composing a painting that will consist of three portraits?
Should I go for maybe a more static composition or rather something playful?
It's going to be three guys, three generations, for a client.
>>
Commission for an Italian restaurant
>>
>>6352435
>you have to wait a bit until it's really really dry before you go over it with a leaner mixture.
it would be better to start all over.
oil paint even after it is really dry still moves, especially if there's lot of oil.
a lot of oil means a more glassy surface which oil paint has a difficulty adhering to.
>>
>>6353365
normies really will buy any dogshit if its on a canvas lmao
>>
>>6353480
That’s the spirit! Hope I’ve inspired you oh great one
>>
>>6353365
Soul
>>
Deleted prior post because of a typo I was afraid would make it confusing. Copy pasting from stupid questions thread because I think you guys would probably know something about this:
I want to attempt a watercolor illustration in the style of 19/20th century american fairytale illustrations. I believe the process for most of those illustrations during the time was ink first and then watercolor? I'm sketching with a lead drawing first but I'm assuming I should erase it before doing the watercolors. Did they have anything to their technique I'm missing?
>>
>>6353605
Watercolourists don't usually rub their under drawings away.
But if you're talking about illustrators that's a whole different kettle of fish. Which process you wish to copy depends of what medium they're producing for, be it a book, a poster, etc.
>>
>>6353636
I don't have a specific style I want to copy, but I really like the illustrations Rackham, Nielsen, Booth and Dulac did for stories. I'm not sure how they got such rich layers and colors underneath.
>>
>>6353605
When I tried ink and watercolor going over the ink with water caused it to bleed. So maybe you need an non water soluble ink? I’m not sure, maybe you already know. In any case get a scrap piece of paper and experiment.
>>
File: 1666060809149282.jpg (117 KB, 600x736)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>6353941
Heres an image reposted from one of the inktober threads. This is 99% isoprphyl alcohol over various inks/pens. Might help
>>
>>6353365
Did more to this
>>
>>6354215
Still life
>>
>>6354222
Crazy girl
>>
File: media_FggAqfnXoAES8gs.jpg (1.08 MB, 2560x1440)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>6348176
Hello trad, digitalfag from beg here.

Recently i started using this app Rebelle which simulates watercolor and honestly its kicking my ass. The colors are spreading randomly everywhere, it drips and the only way i discovered which enables me to be in control is to nonstop dry the paper which kinda defeats the purpouse i think. If i wanted the paint to be reliable i could just use oil or literally anything less "watery".

Anybody here can give me tldr how to control this medium or link some trusted guide or material? Is anyone here using watercolors?
>>
>>6352013
it can be if you want it to be
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/Hans_Holbein_der_J%C3%BCngere_-_Der_Kaufmann_Georg_Gisze_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
>>
>>6353605
>>6353679
Sometimes it's hard to find an artist's working methods but this is what I managed to dig up from Rackham:

"Rackham would begin his pictures by sketching carefully with a soft pencil the broad outlines of the composition either working on card, or on a good quality, slightly textured, paper mounted on card… into this he would work his figures or emotive points of interest. This method of working– from established mass to to details within the mass– remained with Rackham throughout his life."

"…into the general mass of the pencil drawing he would then work in pen and indian ink, and once the basis of the drawing had begun to emerge in ink, he cleaned off the pencil drawing beneath..."

He finished with an allover wash of color (usually sepia), then gradually intensified the colors with thin layers of watercolor– never gouache, as was commonly used at the time. Any lines which were washed out in this process he would trace once more with ink to keep them crisp in reproductions.
>>
>>6354600
Sorry, is your question about how we can help you work with a digital version of watercolor? If so, I don't know how well trad experience is going to transfer to this. Even between one trad artist to another, watercolor is kind of a bitch to teach. It's dependent on so many things, even just the paper you're using, that advice ends up boiling down to either super general stuff like try using less water (gee, that's helpful) or the equally helpful you'll learn the more you practice. With that being said, watercolor is amazing and I highly recommend the real deal even though sometimes it'll make you suicidal. Good luck anon.
>>
>>6354600
The demo on their website has a 'water' slider, I assume the actual program also has it?
>>
>>6352435
>>6353477

I've used Terpentine Substitute from Schmincke.
Should I use Linseed Oil?

I also decided to leave that painting as it is and start a new one. I want to try to get into the rythm of painting more and different stuff as exercises.
>>
>>6355168
Yeah sure.
If you plan to go with layers, you can add a little solvent to thin it for the first layer, not too much. Some paints are thicker than others. But the solvent makes it dry a little faster.
Then you can go over that with pure paint from the tube or add a little bit of linseed oil or other medium, I like to use liquin also, it dries a little faster than the various oils.
Just don't add too much, personally I only add when I feel like the paint doesn't flow as much as I want, I have a tube of titanium white and it behaves like a really thick paste, so I add a little liquin or linseed oil so it flows more but not too much because I also want to preserve it's opaqueness.

Experiment a bit, if you want to paint more, try different approaches, look up videos of painters and see how they do it, everyone seems to have his own opinion on how to handle paint and medium. Some don't use any medium at all.
>>
File: gouache ehehe.png (1.49 MB, 813x752)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB PNG
>>6348176
made this gouache a few days ago
>>
>>6355272
A painting fitting for the season!
>>
>>6355272
Add a slight blue hue under the shade will make it more lively imo
>>
>>6355277
thank you! I'm planning on making a few like that
>>
>>6355285
I wanted to keep it greenish but it turned out too dark. I will try that
>>
File: media_FgB7ZcYWQAI9ZcY.jpg (961 KB, 2560x1440)
961 KB
961 KB JPG
>>6355040
The question was:
>can anyone point me in direction of some famous trad artist / teacher who works in watercolor and shows how they work with it either via book or youtube or course?
Tackling the app thats obviously on me to learn, but the watercolor is so wild that i am not even sure what the basic workflow in this medium should look like so i dont know what am i supposed to emulate in the app.

The other mediums are very straightforward: simply keep pilling the paint / pencil in the spot until its dark enough and use the direction of stroke to create illusion of form / texture. None of this seemingly works in watercolor.

>>6355058
yeah, if i set the water to very low value, it starts to behave as worse version of "ink" which i think defeats the whole purpouse of medium.
>>
>>6352013
It can, but digital makes it much easier. You don't have infinite undos, ability to photobash and so forth

>>6355295
For watercolor, generally the main issue with beginner is that they struggle with the paint/water ratio: everything's too watery, and lack contrast.

There's a bunch of tutorials/watercolor artists out there; perhaps check Zbukvic;the guy has a book
>>
File: wip.png (1.43 MB, 731x1000)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB PNG
Watercolor is so difficult I'm not sure how I can salvage the cape and necklace, maybe overlaying with a thicker layer of paint? I saw someone online saying to layer white gouache over a mistake and then go over with watercolor but all it did for me was reactivate the white and muddy the colors.
>>6354751
I actually already started my drawing when I found https://www.williamstout.com/news/journal/2004/11/15/secrets-revealed-william-stouts-rackhamdulac-technique/ and emulated some of the instructions. It's similar to what you quoted and thanks for the reply and effort.
>>6353941
>>6353959
I think I saw something like this in the inktober thread, I appreciate it. I found that colored ink drawings and notes ITT very interesting.
>>
>>6355597
>I saw someone online saying to layer white gouache over a mistake and then go over with watercolor but all it did for me was reactivate the white and muddy the colors.
Use a very light and swift touch
>>
>>6355603
Thanks Ill try that next time. I used white gouache because in an attempt to cover some of my ink lines. The ink color I emulated wrong, used van dyke brown instead of a sepia because no sepia.
>>
>>6354600
As the other anon said, working with the real thing may be easier to learn with. Start with lightest values and layer over parts you want to make darker. Try not to use black and white paint as much, for your whites it is best to substitute with canvas paper. Black and white when mixing colors can make it muddy if you aren't careful so try mixing complementary colors to substitute for your black. For white try to use your paper as substitute instead. These are not rules but basics for most people starting out with watercolors to know, and there are plenty of watercolor demos you can easily find online explaining different washes and wet and dry techniques. I'm not sure how much your software emulates traditional watercolor.
>>6355272
Great shapes there, very appealing.
>>
File: watercolor.jpg (201 KB, 1167x1599)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>6355384
Many thanks!
>>
>>6355621
to get lighter touch that is less likely to disturb the layer under, use a stroke that is flatter against the surface rather than upright against.
>>
File: DSC_1068.jpg (503 KB, 2000x1500)
503 KB
503 KB JPG
Does this have potential bros
>>
>>6356647
Depends on what you are capable of.
I would play with those lights a bit, make them illuminate a bit more. And maybe add a little warmth to the face, just a tiny bit.
>>
>>6355597
Anon, did you use student grade water color or it's your camera? The color is so dark.
Is that 300 gsm paper? Judging from how they bukcle up like that why your layers of color are all over the place, I guess you was impatient and keep adding layer while it still wet. Control the amount of water is important. Try practice that with ink washing on cheap 180 gsm paper.
Use pure water bottle instead of tap water.
>>
>>6356647
to me this is already great, so now it's just not touching it up too much if you ask me, make some fine marks that crisp it up in the environment, make it more luminous you know, bake in that temperature which it's already doing well I'd say, I can feel that cold in the air, and that point out that in fact the image is a painting made by hand, by making them obvious brush strokes, or just obvious marks of paint

if you want any criticism at all, next time it it less obviously a photograph, just because you have the medium so why not make full use of it and really create with artistic licence
>>
File: wip.png (1.21 MB, 607x1000)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB PNG
>>6356188
Flatter, upright? Sorry but that description confuses me I'm no good with words, but maybe I'll find out when I experiment more with gouache and I'll remember what you said about lighter strokes.
>>6356758
I don't recall what it looked like before, here is a scan so far. I'm using 90 lb/185 gsm btw, lightest in my store. The raw umber all over the place actually is deliberate as I was trying to make it more sporadic, but the buckling not so I agree I need technique as some parts of the paper already look over-exhausted and the pure water bottle I didn't know about that, I will try it, thanks for all the pointers. I still have leftover paper so I'll do more stuff. Well at least polished turd is still learning experience, yea
>>
>>6351228
Beautiful piece anon you should be very proud
>>
I finally learned how to see values and I am so happy with this even tho I messed up the proportions and perspective a little bit! Just wondering if there any any bad habits or easy to fix mistakes I made?
>>
>>6358291
This was the ref
>>
File: dbTD7r70sYs.jpg (1.43 MB, 2560x1810)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
This is how it looked before i ruined it with varnish.
>>
File: 20220219_093217.jpg (1.79 MB, 1614x2160)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB JPG
>>6358362
Older piece.
>>
>>6358362
Pretty, what technique did you use?
>>
I love pastels bros
>>
File: 1.jpg (3.7 MB, 3257x1706)
3.7 MB
3.7 MB JPG
I'm doing ok with digital smut commissions, but I would like to start selling some of my paintings.
Already created and Etsy store. Will also start uploading on IG.
Thinking on focusing more on still lifes and portraits, that's what I really enjoy painting. Don't know how to advertise traditional art because it takes long to complete and it's a hassle to photograph/edit etc
>>
>>6358931
>>
>>6358935
this is a study I did after some 19th century painter, can't find him atm
>>
>>6358935
>>6358940
You tend to make your paintings a bit monochromatic. Both could benefit from a bit of what the other has. Some green in the log painting and a bit more red in the green one to break up the colors and add more interest. Other than that the paint handling is great, and the underlying drawing ability is great as well.
>>
>>6359123
thanks for the crit man.
>You tend to make your paintings a bit monochromatic
Hope it doesn't sound like a cope, but I like that a bit. But I see what you are saying. In the first one, I used photo reference and flat colors usually spawn from that practice. That's why I'd rather paint from life as much as possible, since one is exposed to a full spectrum of colors that can vary a lot
>>
File: riful.png (2.7 MB, 1200x1589)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB PNG
>>
File: глитч с котом.jpg (3.88 MB, 2259x3219)
3.88 MB
3.88 MB JPG
>>6358386
I first filled the walls and floor with the color of the light, and then made the shadows like a honeycomb, darkest in the center and blurring towards the edges. After that, I finalized the light with glazing.
>>
>>6357039
That's really nice! love the style with ink and watercolour. how long did it take you? Use any references?
I think the contrast could be a bit higher in places, the rocks and in folds and shadows.
>>
>>6360334
So far I think I have 10 hours clocked in I haven't continued it yet because I've been drawing other things but I'll probably get back to this tomorrow and keep in mind what you said. For reference I used images online to try and concoct a cohesive drapery design together for the cloaked dudes but because I don't have anything on me in person I can use to test and get an exact idea of the physics, the folds aren't logically sound. I was able to take a reference for the central figure's arm posture with my own arms. The image itself was referenced from a drawing I did in a sketchbook.
>>
>>6360011
Nice, big fan of the way you do the colors and lights in your paintings, so comforting.
>>
File: PXL_20221102_093753253.jpg (807 KB, 4032x3024)
807 KB
807 KB JPG
Almost done with it.
>>
>>6355597
Blog?
>>
>>6351412
why did you choose to stylise the man? just curious why stylisers choose to be that way, not judging at all
>>
File: painter chart.png (121 KB, 1072x660)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
was Dali accurate in his assessment of power levels? who would you add here?
>>
>>6361304
Why did he score Manet so low lmao… Idk seems like dick measuring.
>>
>>6361304
Pissing on Meissonier & Bougie.
What a self important sexual deviant he was.
>>
File: DSC_1085.jpg (393 KB, 2000x1500)
393 KB
393 KB JPG
Update, will post full pic tommorow when i can take a good photo, thanks for the advice to the two anons :)
>>
>>6349311
I like this alot, very professional especially the one with the match
>>
>>6361449
I can’t this is so good holy shit. Are you a professional?
>>
>>6361524
Thank you im trying to become one. Professional waiter atm lol
>>
>>6361544
you'll get there for sure
>>
File: kari.jpg (2.73 MB, 3308x2480)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
>>
>>6361236
I guess it’s just kinda how he came out, been working on it quite a bit so he looks pretty different now. Really hope this doesn’t post sideways again but it probably will.
>>
>>6362586
Yes.
>>
File: Paintscape.jpg (3.46 MB, 4020x3242)
3.46 MB
3.46 MB JPG
Painted using leftover acrylic paint.
>>
>>6355295
Often people start light to dark with watercolour and paint in layers.
I was given a rule of thumb that your paint should be like water for the 1st layer, the next like milk and the last like honey. This was for quick water colour sketching but you get the idea.
>>
File: apples.jpg (1.99 MB, 2536x1804)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
Apples are hard to paint.
>>
>>6362586
Looks very good m8
keep painting
>>
File: xMp83lW.jpg (611 KB, 3790x2076)
611 KB
611 KB JPG
Oil on gessoed wood
>>
>>6349807
i think it looks great, saved
>>
File: beerd.jpg (405 KB, 1836x3264)
405 KB
405 KB JPG
At what point is it appropriate to start thinking about making a personal site, focusing on networking and so on? I feel like I should focus first on honing my skills, producing more art before thinking about that. I tend to overthink a lot but with twitter drama and talk about moving platform yet again made me think more about it than before.

Anyway painted a blackbird. Would love some feedback.

>>6365407
I like it. perhaps some white or light blue as a highlight? to me it reads as more of a red and orange apple rather than a red one in light.
>>
File: BRASKA HOT NITE.jpg (919 KB, 2895x3024)
919 KB
919 KB JPG
>>6361141
Well, I "finished" it. We presented today, so after that I tore it down and put a new canvas up.
Wish me luck, this one takes up that entire wall.
>>
>>6368606
Less thinking, more creating. Maybe set a certain goal in your skill. Like bad drawing habits you want to work on, a specific level you want to achieve and pair this with your starting time online.
For example: I want to be able to finish backgrounds (that's my main weakness) in my paintings and if I get to this point where I'm consistently improving in backgrounds to a point I would be satisfied with now, that's when I'll start putting my stuff out there.
There's more to it than that like how confident you are you want to engage with the platforms but you've got to stay realistic as well
>>
copy over from sqt for a wider audience:

I'm going to jump head first into acrylic painting. I have a blick nearby and am planning on buying their blick artist series paints. Are these a good general pallet that will enable me to do both landscape and unnaturally vibrant colors? Otherwise, what colors would you get yourself?

"Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Red, Colbalt or Cerulean Blue, ultramarine blue, alizarin crimson, zinc or lemon yellow (optionally yellow ochre if you don't get Raw Sienna), burnt umber, titanium white, ivory black"
>>
How good do you have to be before you start painting? (watercolours in particular)
I've been drawing for a few months with pencil but have barely learned basic construction, much less shading or colours.
>>
>>6371005
I have no idea which quality Blick are but they don't sound the best. When I work in acrylics compared to oil, I find even with quality makes, the pigmentation is far, far lower, and the transparency is a lot higher. So the colour mixing is always harder. That's probably part of why there are so many pre mixed shades in acrylic....that and the fast drying side of it.
If you have painting experience in other mediums, then stick with a tried and tested triad, such as ultramarine blue, perm alizarin crimson, and cad yellow. Plus bigger tube of white, and acrylic retarder to stop them drying too fast.
If you are new, then WTF are you thinking of starting in acrylics + landscape painting + weird shop brand paints?
>>
>>6371035
Watercolours are not for beginners.
This is a myth, because they look cheap and easy.
Get yourself the two books by Harold Speed,and read them in tandem.
>>
File: DSC_1109.jpg (415 KB, 2000x1500)
415 KB
415 KB JPG
Wip
>>
>>6372116
The way you handle branches and trees is nice

I did a self portrait in a hat I got
>>
File: image_edit.jpg (3.71 MB, 2636x3854)
3.71 MB
3.71 MB JPG
Been practicing portrait painting, I don't really know why but I've grown really interested in it. Unfortunately I often can't find people willing to sit still long enough so for the time being I work from photos if I'm not at a portrait class.

Still, it's so complex, there's so much nuance in colors, from value, to temperature, to chroma. So much to pay attention to.
>>
File: swampshack.jpg (562 KB, 964x1321)
562 KB
562 KB JPG
>>
>>6348176
Found a fun way to reuse my watercolor test paper
>>
>>6374911
doesn't the canvas have a preparation layer? it looks like it's dyed instead of painted
>>
anyone tried W&N flake white hue or flake white replacement by gamblin?
>>
Almost DONE
>>
>>6377012
Feels very Rick and Morty to me
>>
>>6377038
Is this an insult
>>
File: DSC_0413.jpg (3.47 MB, 3872x2592)
3.47 MB
3.47 MB JPG
update
>>
>>6374844
thank you brian thats the only part i didnt tryhard for, i like your portrait too
>>
>>6376675
It's a small panel with rather rough canvas. It has a ground layer but the texture is too rough for the size. It's a practice piece and I had it laying around but it doesn't do it much justice.
>>
>>6368606
Thank you! That's probably exactly what the painting needs. The apple was kinda red/yellow irl
>>
How to paint anime/cartoons on canvas when they don't have real structure & are mostly flatly colored?
>>
>>6378053
Use acrylics and hope for the best
>>
File: QueensEveningSwim.jpg (897 KB, 3024x4032)
897 KB
897 KB JPG
>>6361304
Pretty accurate to be honest.

>>6358931
Good job.

>>6361449
>>6362586
Thumbnail seems great, so your values/drawing are doing well. Up closer the brushwork is boring. On a good path, so keep it up. Maybe do some master studies of Sargent or sth.

>>6365755
Simple but works.

>>6375518
sovl
>>
File: 8271.jpg (341 KB, 2000x2640)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
WIP
acrylic on 24" x 30" canvas, grid was used.

the photo was taken with a phone. comparing the image to what I see in reality, the camera couldn't capture the reds in the face, so the browns are exaggerated, but it is what it is.
>>
File: received_360169692687126.jpg (353 KB, 1371x2048)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
>>6378327
Is it really? I like how the face turned out in terms brushstrokes in particular. Everywhere else the brushstrokes are boring i agree, thank you for the crit. Here is my sargent study
>>
>>6378327
Liking the shapes on that sculpt so far
>>
>>6378538
Personally I like them and I can always identify your paintings
>>
>>6378563
thank you anon
>>
>>6378538
Don't know if it is a lightning issue, but all your paintings seem unsaturated. Oils are unsaturated per se but yours seem dimmed, don't know how to say it.
Maybe it is the choose of palette but here I'm not knowledgeable
>>
File: 20221117_013803.jpg (1.01 MB, 2431x1718)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
Drew this with ink and watercolours. Supposed to be some abandoned buildings in the desert. Would love some feedback.
Also what sites are best to post art on? Or should I get my own?
>>
Can you reach success even if you draw all kinds of things? What I mean is for example I'm a big fan of Jan buragay and. But he mostly draws a lot of the same thing, really well but. But would it be bad if I uploaded similar things, but also more regular stuff. Landscapes, birds, and so on.So I'd have a mix of motives. Would that scare away people only interested in one thing and not the other, or would it increase my appeal since I'd cover more areas of interest? Seems like Ian Mcque has a similar approach, landscapes and flying scrap-ships and so on.
I guess I'm just overthinking again and need to just draw.
>>
>>6379483
Eventually you’ll find the one thing you’re best at buts it’s good to diversify when you’re starting. Paint everything
>>
>>6377012
cant tell if this is good or bad art
>>
>>6379650
There’s interesting forms in the thumbnail. Looks almost claymation but when you open the image it’s a bit amateur
>>
How to make ALIZARIN Crimson Red lighter? I want to create a striking basic red color. But whenever I add white to the color it turns to a pink-ish version rather than the pure red.

Tried mixing it with Cadmium and Vermillion but they're too orange and generally make the whole thing look brown and dirty.
>>
>>6379822
Just keep it as a pure pigment but if possible make the background that it's on a more contrasting hue. It might look odd or like it's too dark but quite often the 'bright' factor of a colour can also equat to how saturated it looks.
>>
Would love to post my work here for critique but don't want my work to be tied to 4chan for obvious career reasons.

My question is though, does anyone have a good workflow for selling prints of oil paintings? As much detail as possible welcome.

I have lots of interest in my work on instagram and just got my first comission for a large oil painting, but I don't think I can make a living from selling just original oil paitnings.
>>
>>6377095
>>6378538
>>6378438

These are incredible.
>>
>>6379822
Buy Naples Yellow and mix a little into it. It’ll technically be orange but should work for your purposes
>>
>>6378538
great job anon,maybe the light should be a little more saturated,but anyway,great stuff
>>
File: golden fluid.jpg (33 KB, 700x700)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
How do you get Golden Fluid acrylics to not leave brushstrokes? I'm painting on canvas with the fluid acrylics and Open Fluid medium 1:1. Hog bristle pushes the paint around like it's digging a trench exposing the canvas underneath. Squirrel synthetic is just slightly better. Using water gets a watercolor effect and is somewhat smooth, but I'm trying to go for an oil painting look. On Youtube, I've seen people smooth out Golden Heavy Body acrylics using a mop brush. Don't know how effective that would be for Fluid though.
>>
Crits appreciated. Painting doesnt really capture real life well. Found it hard to stop foreground trees blending into background and failed to preserve some of the white space id have liked to.
>>
File: lakey lakey.jpg (3.37 MB, 4000x2250)
3.37 MB
3.37 MB JPG
>>6381092
>>
>>6381095
>>6381092
Looking at your reference, you might notice that the treeline in the background looks blueshifted and quite desaturated compared to the foliage in the middle distance. In the meantime, the reflected foliage on the water's surface has less of this variation, but is far more blurry in the background than the foreground. Watercolour is a medium I admit I am terrible with (oils are my preferred medium) but I would suggest that if you want to make the trees in the background not blend into the middle distance you should make them less saturated, maybe use lighter washes or even lay down an EXTREMELY thin glaze of payne's grey before painting them in. Your trees in the middle distance should instead use more saturated and slightly warmer mixes of the colours used on the background.
Your eye picked this up for your water reflections and that made the two groups of trees look distinct as reflected in the water, but your colours were too close on the trees themselves. You also blended quite a few of the yellows from the sky into your background trees, which makes them read as bright, and we tend to read brighter things as closer.

I still really like the piece anon, I would happily send a postcard with that on it. The inside of the boats are my favourite part of it, the colour in those read beautifully, along with the slate roof and reflected lights on the water. We're all gonna make it.
>>
File: oil on canvas.png (1.25 MB, 835x1000)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
>>6361155
Don't have.
>>6381092
The other anon's crit is very good. When I look at the thumbnails for both of them I notice the trees in both the back and front in your drawing mesh together but in the reference the forms are much clearer. Don't forget to step back every so often and squint. The trees in the back could use cooler temperature. There's some atmospheric perspective going on and I agree the values with the other anon that the values are too dark and competes too much with the trees closer to the viewer. The front trees could pop out more.
>>
What are some good tips to have on a homemade colour wheel?
I know about using the colour across on the wheel for darkening the colour. But I don't know much else about it.

I work in watercolour if the tips are dependent on the medium.
>>
>>6381117
>>6381153

Cheers for the crits, totally agree and will keep in mind in the future.
>>
>>6381297
Don't know why you would need to make your own color wheel, but handprint.com has all the info you'll need about color theory and watercolor. If you were to make a wheel it would be 3D like the Munsel color system.
>>
>>6356647
Values are really well painted here. Good stuff.
>>
>>6358931
This is great. Love the forms in the twisted trunk.
>>
>>6381669
Just thought it'd be good practice. Thanks for the link I'll check it out!
>>
>>6382860
Np, it's a great resource backed by experimental data, unlike the parroted dogma from most Youtube videos and forums. I spent months reading it.
>>
>>6363313
i like this one a lot a lot of soul here. You could have drawn out the depth a bit more, but it's there. I think like the other anon said, something symbolic or interpretable on the back wall would add a lot to the piece and give it more of a story. You could take it a lot of directions from grotesque, to sexual, to mundane. But either way its a great piece imo.
>>
File: 20221120_191441.jpg (531 KB, 1552x2805)
531 KB
531 KB JPG
I really love the art of machinarium. Tried to do something in that style. But failed. Any advice? Please ignore the background. I fucked it up when I tried to salvage it.
>>
>>6383948
Looking at a few screenshots, Machinarium's linework is more precise and thin. The game's colors have soft edges. If you don't know how to do that in watercolor, you brush a spot of color onto the paper. Then with a clean brush with some water, brush around the color spot without touching it. Then use the same clean brush to join the color spot and water by brushing them at the same time. The pigment should flow from the color spot outwards to the surrounding water, giving it a soft edge.
>>
>>6362586

Did you paint from a photo?
>>
>>6378953
I'll reply. It's hard to tell if the buildings are sticking out from the rocks or inside a hole between the rocks. The left building looks like it's inside a hole since maybe parts of it are hidden, it's values are the same as the rocks outside. If it was inside it should be darker. The blue mountain on the right distracts from the buildings since it's so saturated. I don't know any sites.
>>
>>6383297
Thank you anon! I added a chair to the background and want to play around with shadows a bit to give it some more depth.
>>
>>6358931
What's your etsy anon?
>>
>>6384241
Yes, actual one for the background and an overexposed one for the face, painted them both a little shallower in value than the ref so it looks more whole
>>
Hello fellow tradbros. How often do you make completed works compared to sketches/small stuff? Recently I can't do anything more than pencil sketches. I don't know what causing this, probably I'm too scared to draw something serious or maybe overthinks drawing in general. I feel like all my drawings are boring and without any idea or thought in them. How do I make actually good pictures. Well I'm probably overthinking this again...
I want to get out of this mental jail.
Also I cant do anything good without reference.
>>
Bit more
>>
File: abandonedlh.jpg (506 KB, 1024x1683)
506 KB
506 KB JPG
>>
File: lhlhlh.png (643 KB, 518x848)
643 KB
643 KB PNG
>>6386892
>>
File: sm_Final.jpg (673 KB, 750x1100)
673 KB
673 KB JPG
I know the head and body are somewhat fucked, and I'm working on getting better at that. However, I'm stuck on how I do my hatching. Anyone have any advice on how I can switch it up a bit or make it less like a shitty grid and have a bit more life to it? This one is finished, so no return to it, but I'd like to do something better on whatever I do next.
>>
>>6380645
Try their airbrush medium to thin it even more than it is, then using a springy synthetic brush layer it like glazing. I think that will give you the effect you are looking for, but it will take time to get the color saturation up where you want.
>>
>>6386898
what's the meaning
>>
>>6348338
Swag
>>
File: moto0.jpg (451 KB, 1024x1542)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
>>
>>6388066
Ah lovely, a Motocompo. Are you going to paint a Motra next?
Was this painted from life? I think it's rather Good, the contrast in the background is maybe a bit too strong but otherwise good job.
>>
File: DSC_0421.jpg (3.86 MB, 3598x2515)
3.86 MB
3.86 MB JPG
almost done, any crits bros?
>>
>>6388872
Looks very good.
I don't have much to criticize, I like the warm tones in arms and hands, it looks very pleasant.
What medium? and what is your process?
>>
>>6349698
What reference do you use? Where do you find reference?
>>
>>6388872
Looks like snot running out of her nose, down across her lip. And one hand seems to be missing a finger. Her eyes are done well.
>>
>>6388759
Haha not likely, thanks. Yeah the bike got a bit lost in the background. I need to be more put more thought into what i emphasise in my paintings. I kind of just draw whats there without thinking about what will benefit overall. This was done from a photo
>>
>>6388957
Oil paint, i mass it in and add more detail and color with each layer until i feel it is done. I could go in more detail if you'd like
>>
>>6388976
Lol it's supposed to be a nose ring
>>
>>6388983
>I could go in more detail if you'd like
If you don't mind, I'd appreciate it. I like the way you have laid the paint down but also the balance between more expressive brushstrokes in the background and a little more precise work in the figure, I like that a lot.
>>
>>6388872
Good job

Just posting these studies I’m drawing for fun again my stocks not moving super quickly lately
>>
>>6389020
Sideways, oh well
>>
>>6389021
Note on these, I struggled with her breasts. That’s more or less how they looked just didn’t jive with how I draw
>>
File: Fg_oJ8JWYAEwaUD.jpg (611 KB, 2048x1414)
611 KB
611 KB JPG
>>6348176
some watercolour practice, I've been getting more into abstracting shapes and stuff. However, I've had urges to return back to my studies and get really good at paintings actual forms and stuff. The vagueness and the blurring of all of the colours and shape is really fun to do tho so I'm kinda torn between the two.
>>
File: 11232210493.jpg (1.27 MB, 2814x4032)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>
>>6389017
I lay in the sky first and key everything off of it, i try to get the light effects as good and as fast as i can, painting from light to dark. I mass in the lights roughly and cut the shapes out with the darks. Always comparing everything with everything in terms of value and color. This means i dont compare one color/value with only the one next to it but as many in the painting as i can. I dont think i did that well on this one. Also i tried using broken color in the background and i think it turned out well.
Sorry for the formatting im very bad at writing. Hope this was helpful.
>>
>>6389020
>>6389021
These are really great. Do you go straight in ink? Would love some tips. I'm assuming these are from references?
>>
>>6389113
Pay attention to personal landmarks. If it grabs your attention draw it, if you draw it wrong or right pay attention to that. That’s key with ink if you plan on doing it without an underdrawing
>>
How do make drawing a habit? I have such a hard time getting started and when I do, for lack of practice, my art sucks and I get discouraged. And I overthink what I 'should' draw, what will appeal to others, what I can show, what is 'correct' if that makes sense. I'm trapped in overthinking and end up just doing this, procrastinating by asking stupid questions and staring blankly at endless youtube tutorials.
>>
>>6389122
Draw the thing you’re most opinionated about visually, that will motivate you
>>
>>6389123
Thanks. I think I understand what you mean. I'll give that a shot.
I think wasting supplies is also an issue in my procrastination (though I've tried digital but didn't like it) I keep thinking I need the 'optimal' most perfect painting to maximize my supplies. I should accept that I'll paint bad things, and that they supplies are being wasted just collecting dust. Try to do what moebius wrote. (I think) and cleanse myself of deep feelings. I guess this also applies to overthinking and being overly critical of myself when I fail.
>>
>>
File: akt_24_11_2022_2.jpg (3.89 MB, 1600x1556)
3.89 MB
3.89 MB JPG
>>
>>6388872
>you just know
>>
>>6389046
I would buy the fuck out of this and proudly hang it in my living room. I love your stuff.
>>
>>6386903
How's golden airbrush medium different from golden high flow paint or open thinner?
>>
>>6387903
I mostly just draw from images that I see before going to sleep, or when I get an image that pops in my minds eye. Like when you lay down and you brain decides to vomit up a bunch of images/scenes. Doesn't happen every night, but I try to keep track of it. So actually I don't know what it means or was meant to symbolize. It's just an image my subconscious produced that I though would be cool to draw/paint,
>>
File: detail base of arm.jpg (750 KB, 1000x1000)
750 KB
750 KB JPG
>>6389796
The airbrush mediums will just make the high flow stuff even thinner without causing adhesion issues (since it is made of acrylic binder). I can't say anything about open thinner as I've never used the stuff. I suggested the airbrush medium since multiple thin layers should do a good job of reducing streaking (as well as using a springy synthetic brush). Pic is not necessarily the best example, but that's how I got the greenish shadows in the rubble.
>>
>>6358362
>>6358366
Love them
>>
File: fp6h5ul7t52a1 (1).jpg (1.73 MB, 4032x3024)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
booba
>>
>>6389720
thank you that means a lot :)
>>
>>6390378
I love this. Where did you find the reference? Any advice for a /beg/ Love this style.
>>
>>6390563
Gone wild on reddit. Turn off the coombrain and try to find a girl you enjoy drawing
>>
>>6390563
The models name is lattelovesu again though I’d encourage you to find someone you specifically want to draw, and really just draw everyone you’re interested in artistically. It’s not dating, you’re not fucking, it’s a different type of relationship. You’re an artist and a model
>>
File: 16541234.jpg (119 KB, 748x744)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
i made picrel 2 years ago and I haven't painted since then but this thread makes me want to try it again

>>6348338
>>6389046
this is so good anon, keep posting

>>6349807
i like the feeling of this painting

>>6349311
nice kots, would love to see them in a comics
>>
>>6389237
I also love your favorite Austrian painter!
>>
File: ahhahah.jpg (1.21 MB, 2434x2205)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>6390717
Based.
>>
File: 20221126_180056.jpg (2.01 MB, 4000x1844)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
how does this look? is it worth posting?
think it came out a bit flat but oh well

>>6382188
thanks man! means a lot to me
>>6384525
hey! here it is: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CarneiroDourado
my IG is https://www.instagram.com/gomesferreira_pedro/
I will be putting up more paintings for sale on Etsy. Just been busy,and to be honest traditional makes me no money atm.

>>6388872
fundamentals are mostly on point but I think the paiting would benifit from less brush strokes. Certain areas, mainly her face, are over rendered, if that makes sense.
Her hands are superb, I love how you rendered them.

>>6381092
careful with the greys. I think you should try a soft pencil instead ink
>>
File: 20221126_180056.jpg (2.17 MB, 1844x2305)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB JPG
>>6391595
here we go
>>
>>6391595
Bought the landscape, best of luck with more sales bro
>>
Ive never used fluorescent paint. Should I apply it atop black paint or should I back the color with white to make it glow brighter?
>>
>>6391625
>Bought the landscape, best of luck with more sales bro
you really did... thank you so much man! It means the world to me.
>>
File: IMG_4336.jpg (1.09 MB, 1000x761)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
does this read as a dog at all? fuck I wish I just moved him up so you could see the legs
>>6384564
just keep going. do both long and short term projects. you'll stop feeling scared of fucking up when you have a fat stack of paintings and drawings just piling up in the corner.
>>
>>6392393
this look amazing brother...
>>
File: ani-1.jpg (3.1 MB, 3635x2535)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
finished it bros
>>6392395
looks*
>>
File: 1611146806943.jpg (48 KB, 443x455)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>6388986
>>6388976
>Looks like snot running out of her nose, down across her lip
And that's why septum piercings are disgusting
>>
>>6392396
thanks. I love your paintings. this one's just great
>>
>>6392393
Very comfy, keep it up.
>>
>>6392393
Reads to me as a dog looking out from a rocky bank to a shallow stream. Undergrowth and tall, thin trees line the bank and there are some bushes or foliage framing the foreground. Looks like a field and then forest in the distance.
It looks lovely anon, very comfy. I like your textures on the canvas, although I am not entirely sure about the fade out in the bottom left of the canvas (I presume it is a shadow but it doesn't quite read that way). Overall it is very nice, not the sort of thing you'd hang in the living room but definitely a comfy piece to have in a bedroom or the like.
>>
File: example sketch.jpg (589 KB, 1440x1090)
589 KB
589 KB JPG
watercolor bros, I have questions

I don't have much experience in the medium and not sure where to start, any tips on what to work on to get the basics down? I've tried with landscape in the past and just ended up being muddy garbage cuz /beg/. Picrel is a character sketch with some watercolor because I don't have many recent examples
>>
>>6381092
i really love how you did the water and shadows inside thee boats

only criticism is maybe that most of the painting looks very 'loose' the way its painted but the boathouse looks very 'tight', i love the looseness since thats imo the advantage of watercolours
>>
This any good? Oil painting
>>
File: wiptemple.jpg (361 KB, 1183x1772)
361 KB
361 KB JPG
>>6393913
Thank you, I'm with you on the loose and tight thing, this current one I'm working on is really giving me that feeling now, I think it'll look a bit better when I put some of the black pen into the water here.

>>6393904
I'm not a pro by any means so dont listen to me but... I'd get a feel for how the paints you have play together to start with, if you havent already make yourself a bit of a swatch of different combos, see what secondary colours come out of your primarys etc, figure out which paints will cover up a line or which will be more translucent.
I was given a rule of thumb for landscape to think of doing 3 layers, water (thin wash), milk (bit more pigment, still pretty thin) then honey (more thick for details and more saturated parts) basically going from thin to thick and light to dark.
When you start out dont mix loads of colours together, you can do a lot with two colours, also remember you can mix colours directly on the page as you work not just in the pallet.
>>
>>6393904
You can try applying more transparent water color layers to create values or using less water and more pigment in your strokes. Your values here seem to be around the same level and varying them could help with more clarity. Of course if you don't want to do that maybe focusing on a more graphical style such as stronger lines could be another way to make a clearer image. Like the other anon said, you can mix colors too on the palette or on paper in the same wash, or you can layer watercolor layers (putting one layer down, letting it dry and then when dry putting an entirely different color, like glazing). Limiting how little or much water in your strokes is something else you can try experimenting with. Sorry if I'm not very helpful.
>>
File: 1640348764276.jpg (134 KB, 736x981)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
are bargain bin prints from stores like walmart a viable source for canvases? At my local walmart, there's a bin full of large canvases (40"+) sizes selling for more or less $50 each. If I could find one with a smooth surface (basically, nothing with an impasto texture) and then gesso it, would that work? is that something that painters do? obviously, the print should be cheaper than an actual new blank canvas or else the idea would be pointless.
>>
File: warmedtempleresize.jpg (545 KB, 1161x1804)
545 KB
545 KB JPG
Think I'm finished with this, crits or anything else to add appreciated.

Tweaked photo to try to make the colours more like real life, advice on this is also appreciated. (Limiting factor is phone camera and shitty lighting)
>>
>>6394531
>>
File: IMG_20221125_022326.jpg (1.99 MB, 1840x2762)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
I'm going through a watercolour phase, it's fun. Currently working on a rusty lighthouse thing from a ref i stole from someone here

>>6355295
https://youtu.be/GNPi2eNHEow this guy has about a hundred videos of him doing comfy nature paintings and impressions of people.
>>
>>6394262
Better than what i've made using oils, but still some remarks. Try to use different brushes, or more variety in the ones tou use. Every leaf has the same width as the grass, and the reflections in the water should be more subtle imo.

>>6393904
Are you using regular paper? Using watercolour paper helps a lot. The rest is just experimenting a lot, change how much you water it down, or use a clean water to go over a section and fill in colours afterwards, find out what colours work well with eachother without making it muddy (or just lean fully into muted colours and making something with that)
>>
File: IMG_4338.jpg (1.16 MB, 1000x748)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
I added another dog but he needs some work.
>>6394531
it looks nice. If it were me I would make the trees in the back darker and bluer, with less value contrast between highlights and darks
>>
>>6349311
Love these little guys and I think some friends would too; do you post them elsewhere?
>>
File: DSC_1116.jpg (2.76 MB, 4000x3000)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB JPG
Wip
>>
>>6395251
Fk
>>
>>6394393
>>6394400
>>6394556
all super helpful thank you, I'll try and apply these bits of advice
>>
>>6348176
>>
>>6395358
Needs warm colors eat some ham
>>
>>6395358
Needs some atmospheric perspective
>>
>>6351906
awesome... found your store

how do you 1) take pictures of your paintings and 2) ship them?

the only painting I ever shipped I just took to a pack 'n ship place. And I struggle getting good pics of paintings.

any advice would be great!
>>
File: DSC_1119.jpg (2.95 MB, 4000x3000)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB JPG
>>6395251
>>
>>6395358
Kind of cozy
>>
File: 123.jpg (1.06 MB, 1571x1974)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>6378438
Complete.
That background took a few iterations before I was happy with it.
>>
>>6394422
I’d recommend sanding it down a bit first, but yeah, that should work. Just be aware that after sanding and gesso, you’ll get a much smoother surface than a normal canvas. Paint will kind of slick across it and sit on top instead of soaking in. Some artists like that and do it on purpose, others don’t.
>>
Think that I’m finally finished with this one
>>
File: asianstairsfinalresize.jpg (425 KB, 1146x1828)
425 KB
425 KB JPG
Tried to be more loose with this one, also started with watercolour and then went to pen, pretty fun.

>>6394738
Really like the 2nd dog addition, looks great. Parts where you can see the paint build up are really nice.

>>6394551
Texture achieved with your linework reads really well. I feel like inside of the mouth is a little bit too light blue imo, seems like it would be darker. I hope you post the light house, think it might have been one I posted.

>>6396776
This is really cool, big fan of the style.
>>
>>6396923
>>
:} my favorite piece I wish I didn't sell
>>
>>6390173
Heres another of mine
>>
File: torn.jpg (337 KB, 846x1191)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
Painted this old dingy tower thing. I'm pretty happy with it. I like line and watercolour a lot. Though I think I need to learn to use more contrast and think more about compositions. The values are a bit light overall. What do you guys think?
>>
File: camel heed resize.jpg (630 KB, 1918x1086)
630 KB
630 KB JPG
Very happy with how this came out! Opinions appreciated.

>>6397936
Love it, Agreed that some darker values would be nice. Maybe the sky could bit stronger blue IDK. Its reminding me of the smokers ship in the movie waterworld.

>>6397271
Very cool, could see this as an album cover.

>>6396428
Beautiful.
>>
>>
>>6354215
where'd his thumb go?
>>
>>
>>6392396
>>6395251
>>6396428
Hey anon could you give some advice on how to get the right tones and values for the face? I am doing a portrait of a man and the colors are kinda difficult to get.
If you use reference, do you use a photograph or use a pc monitor?
Which pigments/oils do you use?
Which palette are you using, do you change palette depending on the skin color of each individual?
How do you start the painting, do you do a verdacchio first layer and then glaze or go directly blocking all the face with one color and then add on top?

Would appreciate the help and I want to tell you that your portraits look amazing!
>>
>>6397271
based schizopainter
>>
File: IMG_20221129_053030.jpg (2.15 MB, 1840x3176)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>6398074
Not an expert on this whatsoever, but i noticed you used cold tones for the skull. This makes it stand out a lot since the background and skin are all warm tones. In your reference the skull is mostly grey/warm tones, maybe cold here and there. So to unite it more you could do a light warm tone wash over the skull.

>>6396923
Here's a WIP, there's still some masking fluid over the parts i wanted to keep white. I still want to do one or two layers before i remove those but i'll have to make time for that.

(I just liked the reference, and wanted to see how it would look without ink lines)
>>
>>6399410
Thank you very much brother.
Pigments are from Rembrandt.
The palette i use is titanium white, yellow ochre, cad yellow, cad red light and red deep, alizarine crimson, ultramarine blue, viridian green and ivory black. I look at the ref from my laptop. I start with the hair and the lightest part of the face. I do my best to get this relationship right because I judge every other value and color off of it. As a rule of thumb the cheeks and nose are usually redder, mouth area - green especially in males, forehead - yellow. You have to know that it's very hard to get the color and values right from the get go, most of the time i spend scraping off and readjusting so dont be discouraged at the beginning. Hope this was helpful
>>
>>6398558
really interesting. Do you have any more?
>>
Reposting from beg >>6399876
>>
>>6400974
use a larger canvas
>>
>>6400514
>>
>>6401475
What size? I bought this one and I usually go with 9 x 12 inches but I'm looking to start making my own canvas boards.
>>
>>6401630
24" x 30"
>>
>>6401631
So big...... Well I will try for my longer paintings though because this one is a short live painting session. Not really focused on working on that one anymore because I don't have the model for reference,
>>
>>6401631
Too large.
I never paint on such large sizes, your paintings are too big m8.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.