[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: FK7ZJrfXwAYZCJV.jpg (875 KB, 1779x1300)
875 KB
875 KB JPG
How come some artists like Eiichiro Oda doesn't seem to suffer from burnout? Or if he does, how does he hide it so well?
>>
Some people just enjoy the mere act drawing. A lot.
>>
>>6383004
hes obsessed with one piece
>>
>>6383009
>>6383025
Is that the secret? Either be autistically obsessed with something or learn to enjoy the act of drawing?
>>
>>6383032
i guess because hes so autistically obsessed with one piece that it encourages him to draw, a lot of people pick up things to achieve a goal like game developers want to make games so they have to learn to program and make art, maybe they dont naturally like those things but since they're required to make what they really want to make it becomes easier since you are tethered to something. I think burnout happens when you do a lot of shit that isnt immediately connected to what you want to do like an environment artist autistically grinding muscle insertions
>>
>>6383032
>How does he not burn out from doing X
>He keeps liking doing X
>Is that the secret?
ffs /ic
>>
>>6383004
because his art is trash and army of assistants help.
>>
>>6383004
He gets a week off every 4 weeks and his art is significantly worse now than it was pre ts
>>
>>6383004
assistants
>>
>>6383004
Most artists do get burnout at some point, but some artists go through it quietly, especially if they are financially expected to deliver something at that moment. You dont want to announce you dont feel like drawing, you draw what you need to draw, then when its over, suspend drawing priorities till you get your drawing mojo back.
>>
>>6383004
Millions of dollars helps
>>
>>6383004
He just likes the characters and world he makes . Its like a child playing with his legos every week. He probably doesn't even seen it as work in all honesty.
>>
He is literally willing to die to finish the story the way he wants it finished. It is no stretch to say he regards this story the same way parents regard their child.
>>
>>6383004
>He likes drawing One Piece and other things on the side when he can.
>He isn't doing every part of drawing the manga by himself.
> He makes a ton of money from it. Like he'd never have to work again after the manga ends.

It's his job but despite all the work, he seems to really enjoy it. So far he's the only Shonen Jump manga-ka who was demanded to have a week off for a break. Honestly I think that's something they should at least do for all of their creators but Oda's manga is so important to their company that they really don't want his health taking a horrible turn.
>>
>>6383032
shh, it's a secret
>>
he treats it as his child, cherishes and loves it as a father does, a feeling that is alien to this board

that is for the good and the bad, you see the effort he puts into it, but closes his eyes to the mistakes of the series
>>
>>6383342
thats debatable. I think his art is better
>>
>>6383004
oda is a special case, hes autistically dedicated and seems to enjoy the grind. he only sees his family once a week lol
>>
>>6390219
is he a cuckold or something?
>>
>>6383004
>In the second issue of Nikkan Sports Shinbun-sha's Shūkan One Piece Shimbun (Weekly One Piece Newspaper) on Thursday, One Piece manga creator Eiichiro Oda reported that he wakes up in the morning at 5:00 a.m. and works until 2:00 a.m. after midnight. He usually sleeps from 2:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m.

>He said earlier that what he enjoyed most about being a manga creator is the chance to meet people such as Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama. He added that he does not take any time off, even though he would like to go on a family trip — or go anywhere outside.

He's an alien.
>>
>>6390277
We will find out if Sanji ends up with Nami. If he does then he probably is.
>>
>>6383004
>How come some artists like Eiichiro Oda doesn't seem to suffer from burnout?

He makes a lot of money. Loves his story and has assistants doing stuff. If you are smart and healthy then drawing stuff won't hurt you. Artists needs to just focus on eating healthily and exercising more.
>>
>>6390391
This guy is incredibly based. Imagine having that level of dedication to something that you could shit out a universe. And a good one that people enjoy, not like a Chris Chan retardverse.
>>
>>6390391
Bros how do I turn into a morning person?
>>
>>6390900
Just wake up early and sleep early. I personally am in bed by 10-11pm latest and always up between 4-5am latest. The quiet morning hours burning my tongue on black coffee watching the day banish the night, sunlight turning the world from black to purple to yellow to full daylight will never get old.
>>
in oda's case, a ton of people with shit taste doing picrel
>>
>>6391239
His net worth is already $250~ millions and he still works for 18-20 hours a day, to think that those people do what they do for money is disrespectful.
>>
>>6383004
how do you even come up with a cracked composition like this?
>>
>>6390391

How do you possibly survive with 3 hours of sleep a day while smoking? I know he has like 1 week break each month, but it still sounds too extreme even for a mangaka.
>>
>>6390391
Yeah that's a bunch of horseshit to hype himself up. It's just not humanly possible.
>>
I hope he just retires after one piece and sorts his health out. Hes only 47, it would make it all worth it if he retired at 50 or something.
He might be too accustomed to work to do it though...
>>
>>6391260
I remember Rumiko Takahashi saying something similar, she only gets around like 4 hours and she's in her 60s I believe.
>>
>>6391463
Ah yes, the famously braggadocious japanese worker. It's humanly possible, as evident of the humans who do it. They often die prematurely, but it's possible and does happen.
>>
>>6391950
The Humans who CLAIM they do it. You have no proof a single word of that is true.

And yes, Oda lives on his name and reputation, all artists do, of course he would hype it given the chance. Humblebragging is still bragging.
>>
this niggas body looks disgusting
idgaf if he has got millions and a bad bitch
>>
>>6391953
>Oda lives on his name and reputation
I'm not even a fan of OP but it's obvious nobody's fucking reading it because of who made it.
>The Humans who CLAIM they do it. You have no proof a single word of that is true.
Ever heard of Osamu Tezuka? There's plenty of well-corroborated descriptions of how he lead a similar lifestyle. Feel free to google it. Others simply followed in his footsteps.

Moreover, have you ever tried to make comics? How about putting out ~16-24 pages every week? You think that's done within just normal human working hours? And don't bring up assistants, I've worked with assistants myself and I know it's not a magic bullet, you still have to spend a lot of time instructing and checking and correcting the work they have to do.
I understand your skepticism, but from my perspective there's no way to achieve this rate of output without crazy hours or crazy efficiency.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.