[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 220px-MissBeatnik.jpg (14 KB, 220x255)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
When studying Old Masters you frequently learn they spent time in Paris or Vienna and rubbed elbows with the "radical" Bohemian types before utterly changing the art scene forever.
Do these people still exist? If so where are they? I imagine places like Portland or Seattle.
Or has the internet diffused things too much for geographic cultural meccas?

Pic unrelated, it just has that vibe.
>>
File: RedScarePodcastLogo.jpg (51 KB, 316x316)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>6489852
They do still exist in most major cities. Unfortunately consumer culture has appropriated much of what was considered bohemian style (google "boho style").
By definition, bohemians were unconventional countercultural. Now much of what was considered countercultural has been absorbed by the mainstream (libertine attitude towards drugs and sex, etc.)
The closest thing to a current counterculture I find are those on the dissident left-right who adopt reactionary attitudes (often ironically) to piss off the 'liberal' mainstream. The girls from the Red Scare podcast (pic related) being a prime example.
The art elevated by such types is far from the kind of art elevated here. They may like some anime (often ironically) but they're more likely to be found reading Tao Lin, Bret Easton Ellis, or Camille Paglia. Not even sure what visual art they like, but I imagine edgy shows in Dime Square (their district in NYC).
>>
>>6489891
This. Bohemia is just pop culture now.
>>
>>6489852
It's just a subculture of its time that became mainstream. There are new subcultures popping up all the time, but they get made fun of here on 4chan quite frequently. I am 1000% sure if the internet and 4chan existed when Bohemians were a thing they would be made fun of here, too, and then everyone would be trashing their art.
>>
who are these "old masters?"
>>
>>6490089
dead white dudes who didnt want to have children
>>
You mean (late)19th/20th century hacks, not old masters
>>
>>6489891
RETARD ALERT
>>
>>6490089
The last ones I read about were Picasso, Klimt, kakoschka, and Munch.
The documentaries always paint a romantic picture of cafe's bursting with avant garde visionaries rubbing elbows with philosopher's, musicians, and an improbable number of future dictators
>>
Idk about visual arts, but in my city there's a lot of these cultural enclaves centered around several clubs/pubs/bars and bands that all know each other and usually play for 50-100 people. These people also sometimes organize events with poetry, small art exhibitions etc. There's interesting ideas floating around there, they just never make it into the mainstream.
>>
>>6489891
Tbh the red scare types just seem like garden variety contrarians cloaked in an art ho aesthetic. Their beliefs can’t really be taken seriously since they’re so inconsistent. Like when they look at a work of art, the art itself could not be more irrelevant to them, what matters is the prestige that is afforded to them by elevating or denigrating certain works. That’s why they go on and on about people like Houellebecq and Bret Easton Ellis. It’s just a really lazy way of being transgressive since you don’t have to do or create anything. So, they’re larping as bohemians but they’re basically just the next step in the devolution of the circa 2010 hipster archetype only more niche and less culturally relevant.
>>
>>6490333
>contrarians
Well that's what bohemians were, the original hipsters. The beats were the American bohemians of the 1950s, which evolved out of the hipsters of the 40s.
Bohemian culture is a rejection of bourgeois culture (even though many bohemians are bourgeois themselves). The contrarianism is built in.
>>
>>6490397
I think the key difference here is that the beats actually created works of art and they were part of a larger cultural movement. They were contrarians, sure, but they weren’t being contrarians just to be contrarians. They actually had a view of society that didn’t mesh with the mainstream and so they found themselves outside of it. For example, when society at large began to adopt a freer attitude toward sex and drugs, the beats didn’t just turn around and say “Durr, sex and drugs bad actually.” They were consistent. With terminally online people it’s mostly just them wanting to be contrarian because of the aesthetics associated with it. Because it’s cool or transgressive, etc. One day they’re communists, the next day trad, the next day fascists and so on. There’s no conviction or thought behind any of it, just aesthetics.
>>
I'm not going to get a face tattoo bohemic shithead
>>
>>6489852
Schizo is the new Bohemian.
>>
>>6489852
Beatniks gave way for hippies who gave way for punks who gave way for post punk goths who gave way for indie grunge slackers who gave way for midwest emos who gave way for scene emos who gave way for hipsters who gave way for dark academia so in a way its all coming back
>>
>>6490554
Dark academia is just a meme.
>>
>>6489852
I’m not gonna lie idk what any of you are talking about in here
>>
>>6490134
not old masters
>>
>>6489852
The bohemians were the contrarian libertine children of the noveau riche.
Current year, that's the Kardashians.

It can be argued it was a proto-counter culture but desu it was a very small group of privileged people and the follower that clung to them at the lounges they haunted. Beats and hipsters really were the first counter culture per se because it was the first time the in group were really trying to spread their point of view instead of just making not-so-secret clubs.
>>
>>6490650
The wisest anon
>>6490654
Who are then?
>>6490427
Has cultural self-awareness killed the counter culture? It seems that having a long history of retroactively cool counter cultures removes that "slot", making the very idea mainstream. What do?
>>
>>6491952
they are modernists.
botticelli, titian, rembrandt, raphael, greuze, poussin, durer, goltzius, boucher, van eyck, piranesi
these are old masters
>>
>>6491952
Modern corporate media actively works to suppress counter cultures by buying out or destroying anyone who starts shining outside the box.

Goths and ravers are arguably the las ones standing since new goth music consistently comes out with enduring radio stations dedicated to promote and preserve it and the aesthetic remains appealing, while ravers continue to hold underground events even through the krokodil sabotage and covid lockouts.
>>
>>6489891
fpbp as per usual

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.