[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm asking from a cultural standpoint as well as at a technical level.
>>
File: 81-Er6Ifg5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (215 KB, 1500x1178)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
Simple, european and asian art outclasses Ameritard art at all cutural and technical levels. RETARD
>>
File: unga bunga.png (1.93 MB, 997x748)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB PNG
>>7058731
its not that bad imo
>>
Hudson River school is quite impressive.
>>
what do you consider "american art"? American art is either european art, african art or native american art
>>
File: american_folk_art.png (2.02 MB, 1022x823)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB PNG
>>7058929
>>
>>
File: 1932.101.jpg (225 KB, 1400x1030)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
>>
>>7057363
Afghan art > Dutch art
Nepali art > Mexican art
Iranian art > Canadian art
Belgian art > Belize art
Cambodian art > Swiss art
Israeli art > Chinese art
>>
File: file.png (763 KB, 462x700)
763 KB
763 KB PNG
>>7057363
they are pretty cool
>>
>>
>>
File: 44637.jpg (114 KB, 727x800)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>
File: sheeler2.png (2.62 MB, 1400x1093)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB PNG
>>
File: 3181582.jpg (145 KB, 1244x700)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>7057363
American art has its own variety and eras, but there are some greats.
A big theme in American art is the untamed wild, "the West", which could be compared to European romanticism, with some differences. Both are made when the industrializing world is weighing heavily on the psyche, but where European romanticism is very mystical and focused on the ancient (often featuring ruins or moody nature), American naturalism focuses on the grand vastness of its nature, it is unconquered.
>>
>>7059365
Another feature of American art is the focus on ordinary people. European painters of course had the realism movement, but I always found theirs to be depressing. American art by contrast often shows more lighthearted moments of ordinary life. Rarely does American art showcase the Great Men of our history, though it does happen, you are more likely to see a cowboy.
>>
File: jfkjdsa.jpg (734 KB, 1000x664)
734 KB
734 KB JPG
>>7059381
While it started in Paris, nobody does art deco like America. It's a shame America's art deco era was short-lived, thanks WWII.
>>
File: racing2149.png (1.51 MB, 1200x788)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB PNG
>>7059418
America is a *lot* younger than Europe or East-Asia, by the time European settlers came to the shores of the USA, or even before the continent was known to either, both had long-established artistic traditions.
American artistic traditions have always been intertwined with European art as they have been traditionally the same stock of people and in constant contact. But at the same time, American art is influenced by its surroundings, just as all art is. In Europe, nature had long been a conquered thing, but even today in America there are parts that are relatively unexplored (consider the American Northwest, Canada, Alaska); European and East Asian art often focuses on the powerful, but America was England's experiment in Liberalism, and so it focuses on ordinary men.
American art has its own character, and if allowed to continue, will eventually reach the same richness and depth as the Europeans'. I personally am a big fan of American art.
>>
>>7059381
those were done as illustrations for magazine covers, that's why they're 'lighthearted', you're comparing apples to oranges
>>
File: mason.jpg (90 KB, 900x506)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>7059514
I'm aware, but he's such a landmark of Americana it was hard not to include him.

Another option might have been someone like Charles Russel for common folk art, which is typically more uplifting of the ordinary, but still austere.
JC Leyendecker would be another good choice.
>>
>>7059444
This is a very important thing to consider.
America wasn't even around for the Renaissance. Even after the colonies were founded, it's hard to look at american art since there were so few people, there is inevitably less creative output than Europe. At the start of the 19th century, there were only around 5 million Americans, by 1850 it was up to 23 million. So America as really not had much time to exist as a civilization at the scale required to produce art, and even less time as being culturally seprrated from Europe. I think the land really helped set American art apart from Europe since the frontier was really the most major difference which shaped the culture of America.
>>
>>7059270
HOly S... amazing...

I think America has produced really interesting things but its influence comes from unorthodox art, for example against Constable and Turner you have someone like E. Church, who is imo on another level but is also more obscure to the global citizen. I thing the problem with America fine art is that it hasn't explored its own art History to its public, most people think American Gothic as a turning point when American paintings had been something before that. The mix with indigenous things and Negro things are also under-documented.
>>
>>7059242
>Alright, for this one you're gonna need to draw a lion
>A lion?
>Yeah, you've seen a lion before, right?
>...
>...
>...yes
>>
File: 250px-Tony-Soprano.png (148 KB, 500x250)
148 KB
148 KB PNG
>>7058737
>>
>>7061802
heh heh
>>
>>7061802
it's not that far off compared to what's out there

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.