[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: longcat.jpg (72 KB, 640x622)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
I'm looking for a book about what a man should aspire to be, how to get there, and most importantly how to identify good goals to work towards vs bad ones. We all have limited time on this Earth and I want to ensure I spend it (especially my youth while I'm still physically active) as best as possible.
I don't know if "self-help" books are really what I'm looking for because I'm already motivated, confident, and in a stable place. If anything, I'm TOO stable and my job is beginning to bore me. I have my entire life ahead of me to sit at a desk. I know that I can (usually) achieve what I put my efforts towards. The question is WHAT I should put my effort towards in the finite amount of time in which I am alive. Should I become a soldier for a few years? Should I go to college? Etc.

Discuss.
>>
It's like meditations on steroids. You will not be able to take in about 60% of the book, but that's okay because the 40% will do enough to set you on the right path.
>>
>>23064951
So you're looking for Bildungsroman
>>
>>23065010
Do you think that stoicism is a viable way of choosing goals?
>>
>>23065030
lol no
>>
>>23065023
I don't know. Will it help me choose a goal to work towards?
>>
>>23065043
Yes, that is one of the objectives of the Bildungsroman
>>
>>23065080
Okay. Do you have any specific titles you recommend? Where do I start looking?
>>
>>23065113
Have you read Siddhartha and The Old Man and the Sea?
>>
>>23065149
No. Honestly I don't read much, but I'd much rather trust my heart to a philosopher than a psychiatrist or psychologist or something, which is why I'm posting here.
>>
>>23065023
Is "Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship" a good start? Been thinking about reading it since last year.
>>
>>23065215
thats good thinking anon. consequently, a goal also does not have to be a material thing, it can also be about YOU. Building your character and principles is one of life's ultimate thesis and necessary goal that will keep you away from degeneracy and weakness.

prof. sugrue's lecture on Stoic Ideal is a good lecture on building one's character

https://youtu.be/Auuk1y4DRgk
>>
>>23064951
Atlas Shrugged or Fountainhead, both by Ayn Rand. Controversial books, but in my opinion, they shows the attitude you must have to achieve your goals
>>
File: IMG_1676.jpg (197 KB, 1284x1517)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
>>23065405
Unironically and objectively speaking, Marcus Aurelius is not who you should aspire to be like. He was an opium addict and a cuck (his wife was cheating on him and he was okay with it for a while). He did end up killing the guy she cheated with but he let it happen for a while. Also given the way his son turned out to be, it's safe to assume that he was a terrible father as well.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.