[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: tintern.jpg (31 KB, 364x512)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Where would one start with Romanticism, having no real conception of what it is. What are the great pieces of literature of this time and what are some of the lesser known works ?
>>
>>23389335
Romantic poetry is its own wonderful thing:
William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience
John Keats, especially his various Odes
Samuel Taylor Coleridge's and William Wordsworth's Lyrical Ballads, which includes the classic Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Lines Written a Few Miles Above Tintern Abbey
Coleridge's Kubla Khan
Lord Byron's Don Juan
Percy Shelley's various poems, including Ozymandias and Ode to the West Wind

Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe and the Waverly novels
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Goethe's Sorrows of Young Werther
All the various Gothic novels...

It's a huge topic, and honestly Wikipedia has a fairly solid summary, with details for each country and subgenres like Romantic poetry (my particular area of interest)
>>
>>23390413
>Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe and the Waverly novels
Do not start with Ivanhoe. It’s mid tier at best and was written when Scott was just trying to write as many novels as possible, as quickly as possible to pay for the LARP castle he was building. The Waverley novels, especially the early ones, are the what put him on the map as an author and still hold up quite well. I’m convinced that people starting with Ivanhoe, getting bored and never bothering with Scott again is why his reputation declined so much in the 20th century.
>>
>>23390438
Ivanhoe is one of the Waverley novels. People read all of them, not sure where you're getting the idea that most of them are slop.
>>
>>23389335
Hölderlin, Schlegel, Novalis, Tieck
>>
Don't neglect the Germans. Berlin's Roots of Romanticism lectures are available on Youtube, or as a book. Oddly I'd recommend the 20-30 pages of Elias' Civilizing Process to get a sense of how romanticism arose out of stultifying French classicism too.
>>
Looking for a general overview of the French and German Romantics of the counter-Enlightenment.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.