[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: pbuh.jpg (826 KB, 2510x1284)
826 KB
826 KB JPG
How do you guys keep up with new books? As an amateur writer I want to be more aware of what kind of books are getting published these days. I don't think I've read anything published after 2000 or any debut.
>inb4 why would you want read new books
>inb4 only women and gays write books nowadays
>inb4 OP can't inb4
>>
>>23477700
>How do you guys keep up with new books?
I don't. Eventually the cream of the crop just raises on its own and is presented to me second hand already filtered for overhyped normie junk
Used book shops are already overflowing with sally rooney and that little life novel
>>
>>23477700
I've always had more of an interest in older works. You can inb4 it, but the modern market is quite shit, and more to the point: You can't rely on people to recommend you stuff. But I do read short stories, which is a good way to scout out new writers without having to plow through entire novels. I've found one writer from my own country who's decent, and I'll probably buy her one full length novel.
>>
Some magazines and newspapers employ people called critics just to plough through a bunch of new releases and write up their findings to save you the job of doing it yourselves.
Also, there are prizes given to new books - the purpose of these is to flag up which new books are most worth reading. These prizes usually reveal their shortlists as well - often the shortlisted books are as good if not better than the winners.
You need to do a bit of reading and research on your own to work out which critics and which prizes match your own taste.
>>
>>23477769
Does the idea of taste defeat the purpose of ranking?
>>
>>23477700
>>inb4 why would you want read new books
This is a valid question
>>inb4 only women and gays write books nowadays
This is why that's a valid question.
>>inb4 OP can't inb4
This isn't /b/. You could just explain why you care about current books.
>>
File: 1700238146798.jpg (7 KB, 328x500)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
This is the only book published in the last decade worth reading.
>>
>>23477922
What am I in for, anon?
>>
>>23477927
Kafkaesque Oppenheimer
>>
>>23477896
Ranking is for faggots.
>>
>>23477725
>I don't. Eventually the cream of the crop just raises on its own and is presented to me second hand already filtered for overhyped normie junk
Yes, but who or what is doing that filtering for you and present it to you?
>>23477737
It's not even about recommendations, it's just about having my finger on the pulse of the industry. I'm willing to read shit books but I want to know about recent releases.
>>23477769
>critics and prizes
Yes, this would do the job, but it's not quite what I am asking for. I want to be open to reading a debut from an author who is unknown or wouldn't tick the right boxes for a review or prize. I want to know what is releasing this week.
>>23477918
>This isn't /b/. You could just explain why you care about current books.
Correct, this is /lit/, so I recommend you read my post where I said
>As an amateur writer I want to be more aware of what kind of books are getting published these days.
>>
>>23477922
>what if Little Boy, the famous nuclear bomb, was actually a little boy
>muh horrors of the nuke
>muh horrors of science
>why can't we all just get along?
>written by a politician
Surely you jest?
>>
>>23477940
>It's not even about recommendations, it's just about having my finger on the pulse of the industry. I'm willing to read shit books but I want to know about recent releases.
Read the sites of big publishers. Find out who's in charge and see if they have a social media presence. Follow that. Subscribe to those dusty, old, non-trendy publications like Reader's Digest, because they will just flog any old, new book. You could even, may God forgive me for uttering its name, watch BookTube.
>>
>>23477940
>I want to know what is releasing this week.
There will be hundreds. You need some industry specific thing, Publisher Weekly or The Bookseller, or check the lists of the major publishers directly
>>
>>23477967
>Read the sites of big publishers. Find out who's in charge and see if they have a social media presence. Follow that. Subscribe to those dusty, old, non-trendy publications like Reader's Digest, because they will just flog any old, new book.
Good advice thank you.
>You could even, may God forgive me for uttering its name, watch BookTube
I actually watch a lot of booktube but it seems entirely focused on YA which is not what I am writing.
>>23477971
>There will be hundreds
Good point. I'll probably have to find a way to filter out all the genre or YA stuff as that's basically all I see when I look into this myself.
>Publisher Weekly or The Bookseller
Thank you.
>>
>>23477991
>it seems entirely focused on YA which is not what I am writing.
Hence my intense dislike. Once tried to see if there were any videos talking about Bulgakov on YouTube. Found zero. Though, to be fair, while it's been on the downturn for a while YA used to be "it" in publishing.
>>
>>23477700
New books are all feminist tranny black lives matter trash. I only look at recent releases if I want to feel complete and utter despair at humanity. Last time I checked a gender bent version of Eragon was the best selling hardcover.
>>
>>23478037
>inb4 only women and gays write books nowadays
But anon, where are you looking for "recent releases"?
>>
>>23478037
I never read Eragon, but I had to dig into this a little bit. It is amusing what people would consider of some kid writing a fiction book about dragons.
>>
>>23478068
Just goes to show it's very important who you know, and where you are.
>>
>>23478068
What's the name of the book?
>>
I have an email for newsletters which includes several smaller publishers which I have tried some of their stuff or cater to more classic lit be it new or in translation.

https://fivebooks.com/
Some of those ( recurrent) lists include newly released books.

A useful aggregator of newly released stuff from several mainstream publications:
https://bookmarks.reviews/category/fiction/
>>
>>23478107
>https://bookmarks.reviews/category/fiction/
Exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. Thank you!
>>
>>23478110
I've spent some time looking at this, and it makes me despair for the world.
>>
>>23478181
For all you know, many of those books are much better than whatever you are reading now. If you aren't open that possibility, it's more of a you issue
>>
>>23478181
I understand but I want to read these new books for myself instead of literally judging them by their covers.
>>
>>23478204
I'm reading one of the graphic novels that got rave reviews right now. It's terrible. Like a void of humor and intelligence. It also isn't really a graphic novel, but that was always a name for comics for people who don't like comics. Nevertheless, the idea that people never develop any knowledge of the world and that foresight is, ackshually, a character flaw is retarded.

>>23478205
I'm judging them by what they and the reviewers have to say about them. That's the entire point of the site. I mean, what's stopping you from just going to a book store and asking for recently published fiction?
>>
>>23478257
>I mean, what's stopping you from just going to a book store and asking for recently published fiction?
I don't want to go outside ever again.
>>
>>23478270
Fair enough. Too many people there.
>>
>>23478257
>I'm reading one of the graphic novels
Yeah, it's a you issue. Try harder. If you are actually interested in writing, it's not that hard to identify the good stuff. If you can't find it, that's on you 100%. You might like to tell yourself it's because there is no good stuff, but please believe me, it's you.
>>
>>23477700
>I don't think I've read anything published after 2000 or any debut.
Are you kidding me? I mean, there's not a lot of "good books" from post-2000 I can recommend but that's assuming you filter out reference books, restaurant review books, video game shit, self-help, YA, mainstream slop, extremely autistic niche subjects (like "Dallas-Fort Worth Freeways: Texas-Sized Ambition" by Oscar Slotboom) or anything I was assigned to read.
>>
>>23478397
I'm sure there's one or two that were published after 2000 but on the whole I read older books. Feel free to recommend anything.
>>
Here is someone who works in publishing reviewing The Women's Prize for Fiction for this year.

https://youtu.be/dCh2OubxFWU?feature=shared

https://womensprize.com/announcing-the-2024-womens-prize-for-fiction-shortlist/
>>
>>23478410
If I'm honest new female lit seems easy to find but this is still a good resource so thank you.
>>
>>23478383
>you have to pass this arbitrary bar I set otherwise you can't have an opinion
>I actually pass that bar
>haha you were actually meant to not pass it at all so I will just pretend you failed to pass it and reverse my entire argument
You sounds exactly like the sort of pseud who would read this garbage and think it's good. You're just too invested in that image of yourself, but simultaneously too fragile too have any confidence in it.
>>
>>23477700
i like when a new translation of some 20th century slop drops

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.