[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: latest-1052893420.jpg (464 KB, 556x776)
464 KB
464 KB JPG
>Kamen Rider Digimon is the least liked.
Never understood why. Still, I hope the inevitable reboot makes it so the other spirits are other digidestined who answer the call but are overwhelmed by the spirit and Lucemon's influences.
>>
>>22517426
I thought 02 was the least liked and Frontier was just treated as kind of there
>>
>>22517426
If the spirits talked at all I'm sure opinions would be improved
>>
>>22517426
Because it got rid of partner digimon, the entire point of the franchise.
>>
>>22517426
>Never understood why
It's bad. Plain and simple.
>>
>>22517444
>it made the kids actually do stuff instead of being cheerleaders
>>
>>22517426
>inevitable reboot
kek
If it's not Adventure related Bamco doesn't give a flying fuck
>>
>>22517437
>>22517444
Nah, that was the least of its problems.
>>
>>22517426
>Kamen Rider Digimon
It's Digital Sentai Digiman.
>>
>>22517433
People like 02 due to its relation to OG Adventure if nothing else, Frontier doesn't even have that going for it. Mind you, I'm not sure which one people would consider better than the other, though they're both better than Young Hunters at least
>>
>>22517426
>Never understood why.
Because everyone got tried of Digimon at that point. The show's writing was also pretty shitty.
>>
>>22517426
The only reason it's hated more is because many people did not watch young hunters.
>>
>>22517468
Nta but you're missing the point, the dynamic of the partner digimon and their relationship with the human is kinda core to Digimon.
Also the fact that a third of the show is the team just jobbing to the KR, and even before that point we had like 8 episodes in a row of jobbing to Grumblemon.
Also everyone not named Takuya and Koji became cheerleaders for them.
>>
>>22517426
This is the best season and I’m tired of pretending Tamers was better.
>>
>>22517566
Tamers is better.
>>
>>22517426
This was on TV when I was still in the actual target age group and I had fond memories of watching it. I watched a couple episodes again for the heck of it a few years ago and it was one of the most annoying and childish things I've ever seen. I'd say this is one that's just better left to the kids instead of being discussed by people who still act like kids on a Bulgarian noodle making forum.
>>
>>22517562
>the dynamic of the partner digimon and their relationship with the human is kinda core to Digimon.
I really wouldn't say so. The shows focus a lot more on the drama between the human characters to the point where they don't even bother giving the partner monsters any kind of personality half the time. Frontier made sense in that context, the problem with it being, of course, that they made the absolute blandest, most cookie cutter human cast in the entire franchise, like literally even the characters in Xros Wars and Colon are more interesting than the ones in Frontier.

>>22517566
Tamers wasn't even good and it's still better than Frontier
>>
>>22517669
>Tamers wasn't even good
Explain further
>>
>>22517562
Frontier would have likely been better if the kids had been limited to just Takuya and Izumi. The other 4 kids been replaced by kid/child digimon akin to Flamon and Strabimon.
>>
>last entire third of the show makes 3/4 of the cast worthless because they're forced to give all of their powers to the main 2 and can no longer fight
>main 2 start jobbing instantly and lose almost every single fight they participate in anyway
>>
>>22517426
I didn't care for it because there were not only no partners, but the two main leads got like 3 extra digivolutions over everyone else.
Like why?

I did like the English Opening though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozwP5fknWn8
>>
FUEGO ARDIENTE DENTRO DE MI
MI MIRADA ESTA EN EL HORIZONTE
LA DECEPCION HUYO
LLEGARE A LA META

SE CUMPLIRA LO SE
EL FUTURO TODO ME DEPARA
NADA SE INTERPONDRA
LA DEBILIDAD SE ESFUMO

ARDIENDO ESTA LA LLAMA AL FIN
LA VICTORIA TE PERTENECE YA
EL PODER DEL FUEGO HABRAS
DE TENER CON INVENCIBLE CORAZON TUYO SERAAA

EN TUS OJOS HAY
ESE GRAN PODER
RESPLANDECE CON TU GRAN LUZ
LA FRONTERA TU HAS DE ALCANZAR
MAS ALLA TU IRAAAAS

Y MI CORAZON LEJOS VOLARA
HACIA EL HORIZONTE VERAS
LOS CONOCIMIENTOS ESTAN
EN CUALQUIER LUGAR

SE EXPANDEN POR EL MUNDO
CORRO SIN DESCANSAR
PUES JUNTO A MI PUEDES VERLO
ARDE LA LLAMA EN MI
>>
>>22517953
>I didn't care for it because there were not only no partners, but the two main leads got like 3 extra digivolutions over everyone else.

It was 2 over the other kids and 3 over the bad guys. They had a kid form and a transcendental form in addition to the standard human beast and hybrid forms.

>Like why?

Likely because the show and toyline were not planned out well at all. Consider how phoned in Daipenmon and Rhinokabuterimon were. Rhinokabuterimon barely shares a colorscheme and insect theme with Blitzmon and Bolgmon. Daipenmon has nothing to do with Chakmon and Blizzarmon aside from the ice theme. They also don't really follow the mythology theme naming of the initial Fire, Light and Wind forms.

I suspect that there was a major shift in direction when the first 13 episodes didn't get the response they were expecting.
>>
It became a problem when the only kids who mattered were Takuya and Koji, and then eventually just Takuya.

Savers had this same problem but somehow even worse.
>>
>>22517426
Digikeks are too low T
>>
Tri is the least liked by far.
>>
>>22517955
El opening latino no tenía ninguna razón para ir tan jodidamente durísimo, y sin embargo lo fue.
>>
File: 116754219_p0.jpg (1.12 MB, 1116x1580)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
>>
>>22517426
>Kamen Rider Digimon
You said it yourself. This is the very reason why Frontier failed. Same with other franchises with sudden additional toku premises from already established stories like Yo-kai Gakuen.
>>
>>22518067
The original version is really good too, the "Kimi o tsurete" part hits hard.
>>
>>22517704
explain why it's good without mentioning Impmon protip you can't

>>22518003
>Savers had this same problem but somehow even worse.
No it didn't. Savers let the entire main cast reach burst mode and all of them were contributing throughout the entire show even into the last episode
Masaru might have been the only one important to the plot, but the rest of them weren't literal bystander tier like most of the Frontier cast
>>
>>22518003
yeah honestly this

I can accept the transforming as an one-shot twist on the formula, but it's just how aggressively and quickly everyone else stopped mattering that really soured it for me
>>
>>22517562
>One's relationship to their inner and ancestral spirits is not at least as interesting as one's relationship to their friendpet
I mean...
I get that people missed the EXACT dynamic, but it wasn't gone, just (digi)modified. "I'm the partner it's me," was something I personally connected to, and it's not like it was without precedent considering the end of Tamers.
>>22517437
That's legit.
>>
>>22518205
It was gone. Frontier has no partners.
>>
>>22517953
English opening has no business being as good as it is. Shit is spiritual.
Random observation: melody has similar note progression as It's My Life by No Doubt and Island in the Sun by Weezer.
>>
>>22518221
Their "partners" are their spirits. The spirits are both a part of them and separate entities. Nonverbal symbiotes?
>>
>>22518205
That would be fine if they had actually done anything with that idea and had the kids going through spiritual cultivation as an important aspect of the show, but it's almost never like that outside of like one or two episodes.

Despite how dreadful it is, though, I do still adore Frontier. I love it so much that a pretty hefty chunk of the fakemon I've designed are an entire second set of Spirits. But that doesn't mean I think it's a good show or that it executes its ideas well, it means I think it has good ideas that it executes so badly that even I, an anon on 4chan, can do better.
>>
>>22518231
They aren't. They have no partners.
>>
>>22517953
most people remember Frontier for one thing only:
SEXY DINAMITE
>>
>>22518081
Kamen Rider Megaman worked out decently well, didn't it?
>>
>>22518440
Rockman.EXE was mostly running off the back of the games (which they put out so fast that it ended up crippling the series) and that died when they stopped producing them.
>>
>>22517468
blackrock esg funded post
>>
>>22518481
Bot post.
>>
>>22518196
Not an argument, go fuck yourself shitposter
>>
>>22518279
Just because you keep saying that doesn't make it true.
>>
File: 1427062534527.jpg (111 KB, 640x476)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>22518196
Nah, Yoshino got shafted super hard as a character.
>>
>>22518205
>One's relationship to their inner and ancestral spirits is not at least as interesting as one's relationship to their friendpet
The problem is the show never does that, the spirits they obtain is just a powerup form for them, a suit they can don. We got ONE time where it caused inner conflict, where Takuya couldn't handle the beast power yet because of his immaturity.
>>
>>22518270
>That would be fine if they had actually done anything with that idea and had the kids going through spiritual cultivation as an important aspect of the show, but it's almost never like that outside of like one or two episodes.
So, they did it, they just didn't do it enough.
What also gets ignored is that they spend a lot of time cultivating a relationship with the Digital World and its society itself. Frontier has flaws, but people pick at it for dumb reasons that are usually accounted for, just differently than in previous seasons. But different = bad I guess. It's the equivalent of disliking Tamers because they spend so much time in the human world. It's kind of missing the point.
>>
>>22518706
I thought that accepting their demi-digimon nature was an important plot point for a few episodes.
If not, that would be one way to make it better.
>>
>>22518707
>reasons that are usually accounted for
No, those reasons are valid. Bland cast, bland plots, boring world, no partners, only red and blue matter, long stretches of just jobbing, character "development" never sticking.
>>
>>22517426
It's a solid idea the issue was the execution. Also doesn't help that most of the cast gets shafted for the last quarter of the show just for the Favored red and blue duo to job to villains until the last few episodes
>>
My issue is that the designs are lame and don't really look like digimon to me. They look like the fake Toku show you see in a anime.
>>
>>22518721
>Bland cast
Disagree
>bland plots
Disagree
>boring world
This is bait
>no partners
Addressed
>only red and blue matter
This was indeed a problem
>long stretches of just jobbing
Oh no the villains are a real threat
>character "development" never sticking
Disagree
>>
>>22518697
Cant be shafted when she never had a chracter to begin with.
>>
>>22518697
Compared to her Frontier counterpart? Lmao nope
I literally can't remember a single thing about Izumi outside of her jobbing in every single fight that wasn't Shutsumon's debut
>>
>>22518923
>disagree
You are wrong
>addressed
No, there are still no partners.
>oh no the villains are a real threat
It gets boring just seeing them lose in the same way over and over again
>>
>>22519017
>there are still no partners
Man stop being so autistic about it.
>>
>>22519023
They removed a core part of the franchise. They should get flack for that.
>>
>>22518984
Same could be said of Yoshino bbqh
>>
>>22519031
Yoshino had some kind of personality at least, being a reluctant wagie
That's more than you can say for over half of Frontier's cast
>>
>>22517953
>but the two main leads got like 3 extra digivolutions over everyone else.

Right but I'm sure it was totally amazing cool when only two of the kids in Adventure could Mega evolve.
>>
>>22519037
Not really bbqh
>>
>>22519041
The difference being that the other kids in Adventure still got to do things, while Frontier made the completely retarded decision to make the final forms of Takuya and Kouji suck up everyone else's spirits, leaving them as the only two that get to do anything
At least Xros Wars had the dignity to write Zenjiro and Akari out of the show
>>
>>22518721
>character "development" never sticking
This is one criticism that never made sense to me. Because ALL of them start off insecure and grow to be confident in overcoming the problems they had in the real world by the time they finally return in the end, how is that not character development? You know there's a reason all of them decided to accept Ophanimon's message and hop on the train in the first place, right? It's because they were running away from those problems that represent their character arcs. Junpei not knowing how to make real friends, Izumi not knowing how to fit in as a foreigner, Tomoya being a wimp and crybaby and completely lacking confidence in that, Koji closing himself off to others because of his parents divorce, and Takuya just being a brat at home that learns to grow up and be responsible for others that need him, especially his little brother, all of those are character arcs, are they not?
>>
>>22517426
Frontier was great until they beat Cherubimon. After that, it went downhill fast due to the cast incessantly jobbing to the Royal Knights,
>>
>>22519057
Yes really.
>>
>>22519165
>Koji closing himself off to others because of his parents divorce
Okay more complicated than that, because they also lied to him that his mom died and hid the fact he had a twin, guy easily has the biggest issues to overcome out of them all honestly, and again, he does because they meet in the digital world! Frontier really isn't that bad character wise, I don't get it.
>>
>>22519175
Nah, not really tbpbqh
>>
>>22519041
That was likely more on toyline integration. Wargreymon and Metalgarurumon first appeared as Ultimaet/Megas (alongside VenomVamdemon) in Pendulum 5.0 (September '99) which release two months before they premiered in the Anime in November '99. A lot of the midseries villains were Ultimates/Megas from earlier Pendulums while the beginning of the series pretty much used stuff from the original V-pets.
>>
File: nuff said.png (351 KB, 715x741)
351 KB
351 KB PNG
I liked Frontier and Savers
>>
>>22519017
>You are wrong
You're gonna have to prove it mate.
>No, there are still no partners.
See >>22518694
>>
>>22519231
Yes really.
>>
>>22519246
The show itself is proof you are wrong.
And there are still no partners. I say it because it is true. Pretend all you want but in the end Frontier has no partner digimon.
>>
>>22519276
>The show itself is proof you are wrong
Incorrect.
>And there are still no partners.
The spirits are the partners. There are no talking petfriends.
>>
>>22517426
Frontiers is fun but it absolutely nosedives in quality after Cerubimon goes down
>>
>>22519280
>The spirits are the partners
They are not.
>>
>>22519280
>Incorrect.
You are incorrect.
>>
>>22519280
No one says this about Kamen Rider collectibles why argue it here?
>>
>>22517468
Yeah but that's implying the children watching gave a shit about the kids, they don't. They care about the digimon.
>>
What was the deal with Koji and Koichi's parents pretending the other was dead and disowning one of their kids?
>"Japanese divorce laws say..."
I read that, and what happened in Frontier doesn't happen in real life. It definitely doesn't happen in any other anime I've seen. Only other time I can think of in anything was the Parent Trap movie, and it ends with the parents realizing what they did was retarded and getting back together.
>>
>>22519324
I cared about the kids and I was 8 while watching it.
>>
>>22519324
The autistic ones maybe. Which I guess more or less covers the entire fandom.
>>
>>22519324
I cared about the kids. Most Digimon fans do. Why do you think Tri was so controversial? Because it messed with the kids' personalities.
>>
>>22519330
>What was the deal with Koji and Koichi's parents pretending the other was dead and disowning one of their kids?
Shame. Their parents split and mom took one of them while dad the other. Rather than acknowledge the divorce they just pretended the other was dead so they wouldn't deal with the shame from everyone around them (it is a Japanese society thing, but failing a marriage is also just generally seen as shameful in a lot of society). There's also the factor where lying to the kids and never letting them know of the other parent allows them to ignore the others existence entirely, they never have to deal with the problem, or at least can prolong it as long possible if everyone keeps up the lie. Koichi only learned because his grandmother told him on her deathbed, indicating it was a family-wide secret that everyone was involved in.
>>
>>22519324
>children watching gave a shit about the kids
I did. I related to all of the kids way more than I did the digimon, I wanted to be like all of them except for Junpei too lol. Why do you think that's not a factor?
>>
>>22519386
A third of all marriages in Japan end in divorce. It's hardly that strange there. But deciding and agreeing with your ex that emotionally scarring your kid and disowning the other is preferable to admitting to them you couldn't make a relationship work out is warped. Even in Japan, because Yamato and Takeru's parents divorced and didn't make up bullshit.
>>
>>22517426
>01: Good, the OG, worth watching
>02: Deopped almost immediatley, but it does have some goat designs particularly the Stingmon line
>Tamers: Fun, but dropped during the final arc where the pacing grinds to a halt
>Frontier: Seemed knterestkng but the start was so slow and boring that I dropped it
>Our War Game: Ultimate kino
>>
>>22519396
>A third of all marriages in Japan end in divorce. It's hardly that strange there.
And that statistic is from? Because remember we're talking about a show from 2003, and you're acting as if people don't tell idiotic lies for selfish reasons like that, it's not that unrealistic, even if it comes off contrived. Also they probably went the "kids don't know about one-another" route because they didn't want to repeat Yamato and Takeru.
>>
>>22519405
>And that statistic is from?
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2023/04/10/issues/take-make-long-term-relationship-great-japan/
>According to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, 35.5% of marriages in Japan end up in divorce.
And the problem is the show doesn't treat it as selfish or idiotic. It ends with Koji deciding to be a better son to his dad even though he found out he's been lying to him like this for years. Why even keep old pictures of your ex-wife around if you're gonna lie to your kid and pretend she's dead? Wouldn't you want to tell your kid your ex was a cunt so you don't have to deal with him missing someone he never met?
>>
>>22519410
Does it need to? The show isn't about their parents, it's about the kids learning to overcome their problems. And while yeah the betrayal is fucked up, it ends with him meeting his mother, so don't you think that might kind of overshadow the kind of fallout you're faulting the show for not getting into?
>>
>>22519412
>Does it need to?
Yes? Because "The boys went back to their deceitful parents and lived happily ever after" is a weird ending. If you found out your parents lied to you and kept a secret twin away from you ever since you were little, and there was nothing wrong with that twin and the reason they kept you apart was out of shame, wouldn't you look at them differently?
>>
>>22519417
Well of course, but what are they supposed to do? Koji ends up forgiving them because they're still his parents, same for Koichi. Are they supposed to resent them? That's not even a healthy way to take that in reality.
>>
>>22519425
>That's not even a healthy way to take that in reality.
But neither is deciding everything's okay instead of asking a single question. This isn't just a little white lie that can be easily swept under the rug. This would be a life-changing lie for any other kid. If you have a parent who's willing to pretend family members you want to see are dead or don't exist when they're actually still around, then what else are they keeping from you?
>>
>>22519443
I know this is Digimon which usually isn't afraid of getting into the messier parts of fallouts, but that's a little much you're asking for here. It's just a cartoon...
>>
>>22519464
It is, but this is the season that came out after the one that dealt with all of Juri's psychological trauma from her mom dying and her dad being a cunt. And both were resolved in the end without any weird unresolved issues. Adventure and 02 also touched on how the parents had flaws and what they did to overcome them. So of course it looks confusing when Frontier only goes halfway on that.
>>
>>22519469
Tamers generally was allowed to focus a lot more on the adults and their problems which affected the kids because of the show's setting though, Frontier takes places almost entirely in the Digital World, they don't really have much opportunity to explore the parents POVs, it's pretty much all on the kids and how they handle their problems.
>>
>>22517426
>inevitable reboot
Are they going to? Because I really want a reboot of Frontier. Watching the series again its biggest is that it's bland and the reliance of stock footage doesn't do the Tokusatsu aspect justice. Say what you want about Adventure 2020 but the animation would greatly benefit Frontier's fight scenes.
>>
File: file.png (390 KB, 886x497)
390 KB
390 KB PNG
>>22517426
>Never understood why

Because the reason why people majorly like Digimon is to see the kids interact,bond and grow with their monsters. Frontier didn't have that and instead wanted to be about the kids doing that with each other. So it lost people innately from that.

Then with the actual story it lost people for being a slog that copied Adventure in a pretty bad way. They even invalidate like 3 of the 5 main cast members in powerlevels just to have more Tai-expy and Matt-expy screentime since they have to give up their powers for them to shine. There's also the issue of how it introduces new evolution levels which pisses off lorefags.

Add on to that with how the plot wasn't very good either and it's a no-brainer. Frontier is where Digimon lost a lot of steam because it fucked up in a lot of ways with the dynamic of Digimon.
>>
>>22517426
It's just not that good. The chosen children themselves aren't THAT interesting. Which is a problem when they have no partners to make up for it, so the entire show rides and dies on them and their characters. Koji and Koichi are the only ones with something interesting going on but that's not enough to make up for the rest.

Then there's the fact no one gets to do anything aside from Takuya and Koji after a certain point aside from being cheerleaders. WarGreymon, MetalGarurumon and Imperialdramon did not make the rest of their team entirely redundant. You've also got the 10+ episode stretch of them getting their asses kicked by 2 Royal Knights over and over again as if the series just didn't know what else to do. There's also the fact it can't decide if it wants to be an Adventure rehash or not straight down to ripping off episode 21 with NONE of the emotional beats or high points the original had.

It had some cool concept and interesting ideas, Spirit Evolution could be genuinely cool, the evil team that parallels them is cool. Cherubimon and Lucemon are both nice villains. But everything else just falls so flat. I really wanted to like Frontier, but it's just so mediocre. At least 02 was bad in a way that I could have fun with it. Frontier is technically the better show but its just so boring to watch.
>>
>>22519799
>Because the reason why people majorly like Digimon is to see the kids interact,bond and grow with their monsters.
I watched it for the monsters, and for the kids, as separate reasons. I didn't really care much about the kids interacting with the monsters.
Kids getting to turn into the monsters struck me deep to my core, though. There's a reason my OC has brown fur and red hair. I guess that makes it not really an OC.
>>
>>22517437
you don't get it, they becoming the digimon was the poiint, in the end they had a new life and resurrected.
>>
>>22517516
>susanoomon is a literal megazord
>lucemon satan mode was a kaiju
kino
>>
>>22519417
> If you found out your parents lied to you and kept a secret twin away from you ever since you were little, and there was nothing wrong with that twin and the reason they kept you apart was out of shame, wouldn't you look at them differently?
I would call my parents out about learning nothing from both versions of the movie parent trap.
>>
>>22517426
It has thr most realized Digital World. Seems like other than adventure the worst shows have the best Digital Worlds.

>>22517433
I thought so too but apparently 02 has super fans (paildramon and magnamon inexplicably winning polls.) though I think that's because the viewership heavily skewed Latino and they have tons of fans down there who brigade polls.
>>
>>22520607
liking the designs =/= liking the show
Pretty much every Digimon show has cool designs, XW Hunters and Appmon notwithstanding
As garbage as 02 is, Magnamon, Imperialdramon, Stingmon, etc are still fucking cool
>>
>>22520590
This shit's exhibit A in why the Frontier cast aren't interesting. Koji learns his dad lied to him like this, and there's no resolution there? Instead, we get a longass Royal Knights arc that takes forever to go anywhere?
>but it took place entirely in the Digital World, so they couldn't handle that subject
Then why introduce it in the first place if you have no idea how to end it? Besides, Koichi can somehow travel to the Digital World by falling down a set of stairs. The show could've made up some bullshit where the kids astral project to the real world and talk to their parents or something like that. It would've been dumb, but at least they'd get the opportunity to resolve some emotional arcs.
>>
After Fox Kids ended I switched to Kids WB. I had no idea that Digimon Frontier was on UPN until months later. By that point I was knee deep in Yugioh and didn't give it much of a chance and was turned off that the kids themselves were turning into Digimon. It felt anti-Digimon especially coming off of Tamers where the bond between human and Digimon was so emphasized.
I did end up watching another episode or two some years later (on Jetix I think?) and did actually enjoy them.
My point is, if anything, I think the Fox Kids -> FoxBox transition is probably what caused the most damage to Frontier and Digimon as a brand in the US (and maybe some World 4).
>>
>>22520635
Frontier hurt digimon in Japan too. The next show was called Savers because it was designed to save the franchise from the low frontier put them in.
>>
>>22517426
>Digimon but trains lol
>>
>>22519041
The difference is that those two are only one levels above. Takuya and Kouji however got two levels (three if you count Susanoomon) making the gap worse. They should have given Junpei, Izumi, Tomoki and Koichi those hybrid forms and treat the hybrid forms as Perfect equivalent at least.
>>
The loss of the partner dynamic blew and even if you tried to enjoy it as a sentai knockoff, it's a very terribly written sentai
>>
>>22519041
>>22520749
There's also the whole issue they built an entire arc out of the villains constantly beating the heroes. When you have two heroes way above the others and even like that they lose, you basically leave no space to give victories for the weaker heroes. It was a combination of bad ideas.
>>
>>22520749
They also make the other kids give up the spirits to make those higher forms.
>>
>>22519041
It was effectively three because Angemon was always treated as a level above his real level for no reason, so he got to beat Piedmon when the Megas couldn't.

And as other have said, the real issue was that the Hyper Spirits took away the powers of the other kids and then also proceeded to lose every fight for ten episodes in a row. The least they could have done was have the other kids physically combine as well, and it's not like that was impossible because at the end they do exactly that with Susanoomon.
>>
>>22520635
>six days a week
Those were the days. Getting home from school and watching Pokemon, Digimon and Yugioh and then switching to Toonami.
>>
>>22517426
It's one of the best in my opinion
it's COOOOOOL
>>
>>22521694
Well your opinion is wrong.
>>
>>22521696
Nah, only gay people dislike frontier
>>
>>22521697
Every person dislikes frontier.
>>
>>22520635
Since we were kids at the same time, my experience was Digimon was already dead/dying before that even before that. People had really already moved on from monster collecting with it. Pokemon gold and silver excitement had run its course, and the pokemon anime was on wb which was by that point just a better channel with all the dcau stuff still going. WB kids also had had yugioh which replaced the cooler than pokemon monster niche Digimon had earlier. Probably in part because of this, Tamers never caught on with anyone I knew in real life except myself and one other kid I talked about it with. It wasn't till years later I saw how beloved tamers was online, and my initial impression was wondering if its popularity was a reaction to normalfags not liking it. The reality was people had already completely moved on to wb kids and cartoon network. Disney really bought fox family (fox kids was under that umbrella) and Saban entertainment at a time when it was kind of going down. The period after the move from my kid perspective felt like chaos. You had this weird gap of content. Some old fox kids things were suddenly on ABC family a cable channel which felt random. I don't remember ever watching cartoons on it when it was fox family. Then things stated popping up in toon Disney too. Suddenly, Digimon was suddenly on the UPN afternoon block where buzz lightyear was, side note as a kid I could never understand why ABC's one Saturday morning afternoon show being on upn. You just wouldn't think to look for Disney stuff there, never mind old fox kids stuff. Kids have no clue Disney bought out fox kids. Really hurt us as consumers. WB kids and cartoon network in contrast made sense since both were clearly bugs bunny, warner channels. UPN Disney didn't. Things really didn't straighten out with Disney till they made the jetix brand like two years later. Way too late for a Digimon recovery.
>>
>>22521865
Tamers is where people checked out when I was a kid too. They'd mostly stopped watching Pokemon at that point as well but Tamers being so disconnected from the first two series killed it for people. One guy I knew hated that Guilmon kept the same voice through his evolutions. We'd all stopped talking about it by the time they got to the Digital World.
>>
>>22517437
This. Digimon are supposed to be partners, not suits of armor.
>>
>>22517437
They do, it's just reserved for the last 5 minutes of the final episode and nothing else
>>
i have noticed that people tend to be very fragmented when comes to digimon. Each group considers their favorite to be the best and to hold the absolute truth, but when challengued or even shown that people can like frontiers or savers they get defensive and angry, as if they are overpritective of their opinion.
I think digifags are the biggest nostalgiafags, hilarious as most hasn't even touched a Vpet in their lives.

Me? Frontiers is the best, followed by Adventure's OVA, 02 and Summer Wars.
>>
>>22522021
You, are wrong.
>>
File: 1692830916661901.jpg (37 KB, 300x225)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>22522021
I agree my adventure tribe good. Savers tribe barbarians evil.
>>
>>22522021
Shitposting aside, tribalism is rampant amongst a lot of franchises like this, yes.
>>
>>22517426
>Never understood why.
The first half is legitimately decent with them exploring the Digital World in order to defeat the evil spirits and Cherubimon. It nosedives in the second half with the Royal Knights and Lucemon.
>>
>>22522021
Duh
This is what always happens when you have a franchise that goes in a bunch of different directions. See Sonic, Macross, Resident Evil etc
My top 3 is Savers, Xros Wars and Ghost Game. I don't know anyone else that thinks this way, but I'm sure they're out there
>>
>>22522021
Interestingly, the current overall producer (Masashi Harada) acknowledged the fragmentation of Digimon fans a few years back in an interview. One of his goals was to rectify this fragmentation and have a more cohesive project that all fans could enjoy, however, ironically, we just keep seeing Digimon explore more and more mediums which has caused even more fragmentation. Lots of people don't try the TCG and hate on it, same with the novels and now there's even hate for the webcomic.

Personally I enjoy the new stuff they've been working on but it's hard to deny that the fragmentation is only getting worse.
>>
>>22522021
>nostalgiafag calling others nostalgiafags
Frontiers and Savers are 20 years old, faggot. You aren't exempt from this.
>>
>>22522106
Like most other franchises that have it, the fragmentation is an ingrained part of it at this point. I'd say the best thing to do is just accept that you can't please everyone and make whatever you would consider an appealing product.
>>
>>22522114
calling frontiers the best after all that was the joke.
You are the slowest in your tribe can tell.
>>
>>22521875
Yeah Tamers being the stopping point was my experience too. 02 felt like a stopping point and wasn't very satisfying, and since Tamers was very much a reboot (new card game, new designs, new toys, etc) it felt like a place you could check out.
>>
>>22522114
There have been like 4 Digimon anime that have come out in those 20 years, and two of them are Appmon and Colon. It's a bit silly to talk about nostalgiafagging in light of that
>>
02 had the best ending song. And that's all I can say about that.
>>
>>22522274
>02 had the best ending. And that's all I can say about that.
ftfy
>>
>>22518923
>Oh no the villains are a real threat
See it would be one thing if that was done well, but it's not. It's just them getting their asses kicked over and over and just conveniently not getting finished off by the bad guys each time. And the best part? THE BEST PART? There is ZERO payoff to this because Takuya and Koji don't even get to beat the Royal Knights in the end, Lucemon finishes them which denies our heroes a victory when they're finally strong enough to do it.

>>22522209
>02 felt like a stopping point and wasn't very satisfying
Because 02 is just legitimately bad and was considered the worst series until Young Hunters
>Sequel series where the majority of the returning cast are rendered useless
>New cast is less interesting the original, exacerbating the previous issue
>Ability to enter and exit the digital world cheapens tension
>Part of a major character's story is a series of games for the wonderswan (same issue in tamers)
>Jogress and Armor evolution should have been used in two different series rather than wholly discarding the latter for the former
>Ending that interferes with any future developments in its continuity

>>22522126
>I'd say the best thing to do is just accept that you can't please everyone
Wasn't CSHM near-universally praised by digimon fans for the digimon aspect of it, the issue was always with the gameplay balance?
>>
>>22522326
Theyve spent two movies trying to unmake the ending of 02. They even said that they hated it and considered it a millstone around their necks during the production of the most recent movie
>>
>>22522333
>Wasn't CSHM near-universally praised by digimon fans for the digimon aspect of it, the issue was always with the gameplay balance?
lol no
>>
>>22518440
Rockman.EXE's cross-fusion worked well because it wasn't the *only* method of battle and kept everyone else at least somewhat relevant, until Stream went bonkers with it and everyone and their grandkid got a fusion chip that allowed the show to go full Sentai.
>>
>>22522274
I like the ones from Frontier more honestly [Innocent - Mujaki na mama de] is one of my favorite Koji Wada songs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdZ1PbgZt1E https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIiCQrbfQv4
>>
>>22522333
>Jogress and Armor evolution should have been used in two different series rather than wholly discarding the latter for the former
Can't agree with this. We had had one series in existence at the time of 02. The gimmicks need to be put in while the iron is hot, not a year after, and that's assuming you even get another show greenlit. Personally, get as many type of digivolutions as you can in. Part of the char of Digimon is the varied evolutionary trees, and that really becolame visible in 02. Abandoning armor was a shame. Magnamon only showing up once was shit. However, armor wasn't abandoned for jogress, it was abandoned for champion/adult. Which once again expanded the evolution tree. V-mom by the time XV-mon came around had 4 evolutions in show flamedramon, Lighdramon, Magnamon, and XV-mon. That was cool and was one of the things that made Digimon seem significantly different then pokemon, where the closest thing was just eveee and that's a one way street. In the prior series the only thing we had of a similar vein was skullgraymon which was a negative evolution. Jogress filled the niche of crests unlocking perfect/ultimate from 01, and was once again showcasing how varied digivolution could be. The only problem with this that yes forms do get neglected for the next shiny thing, but is that really a problem when the entire Digimon emperor arc centered on Armor evolution. That arc is 21 episodes. That's a very good run.
>>
>>22522333
>Wasn't CSHM near-universally praised by digimon fans for the digimon aspect of it, the issue was always with the gameplay balance?
It's literally the exact opposite
CS/HM has a relatively small roster compared to older games, but the older games were absolute 0/10 garbage, so it was a blessing to at long last get a Digimon RPG that didn't play like complete shit and had some actual nice animations
>>
>>22522561
I've seen far more people go to bat for Dawn/Dusk than CS
>>
>>22522567
CS doesn't need a defense force, given that it's an actually decent game. People bitch and moan about the cutscenes or whatever, but I don't think anyone denies that it plays 10000000000 times better than every previous Story game
>>
>>22522578
Nah, I've seen people decry CS' gameplay a lot too
>>
>>22522598
Over what? Pierce moves being OP and no lane combat?
Absolute quibbles in comparison to the problems with the old DS games
>>
>>22522601
That and much, much more blind delusional CSfag
>>
>>22522567
Dawn/Dusk are legitimately bad though. the people going to bat for it only do so because they played it in their childhood.
>>
>>22522441
imagine if adults and joggresses could use armors, now that would've have been amazing.
>>
>>22522610
More than CS gets lmao
>>
>>22522609
Literally any other gameplay problem you could name about CS also applies to the DS games
Though you're probably just a shitposter who hasn't played either. Either make an argument or fuck off
>>
>>22522601
I don't like how the combat is ro sham bo because of how powerful that attribute multiplier is. And the out of combat gameplay is a slog. You don't even get to do any detective work.
>>
>>22522612
>imagine if adults and joggresses could use armors,
I needed this and I never knew I did.
>imperialdramon golden armor energize
>>
>>22517426
What I like about Frontier are the kids. I think if you stick with them, you start to really appreciate them for who they are, their flaws and all. The whole show was a downgrade from Tamers, but it didn't fall short in the department of its characters because I felt like Frontier's cast felt like actual kids, and I don't think Chiaki was able to really write convincing children in Tamers unfortunately, despite it being my favorite of the Digimon anime.
>>
>>22522988
that's pretty much paladdin mode
>>
>>22523022
rika has always felt to me like a young adult on her late 20s, someone who is wasting her life but still in time to turn things around. That or a rape victim.
>>
Is the era of both Adventure tri AND Appmon the worst years for Digimon in general?
>>
>>22523852
No
we were getting good games during those years
the present is the worst; there's fucking nothing of value going on
>>
>>22523867
But are both tri and Appmon shit?
>>
>>22523867
No, Worst is when frontier was airing until savers started. That point had nothing of value going on plus literally killing digimon for a while.
>>
>>22518984
Yoshino's character arc was getting out of her depression, I don't remember Izumi's arc at all
>>
>>22523976
Yoshino never had depression. Her whole thing was stage fright. She hated being the center of attention
>>
>>22523867
>we were getting good games during those years
No we weren't lol
>>
File: 1445529227145.png (412 KB, 686x660)
412 KB
412 KB PNG
>>22520635
Yeah, the switch to UPN made it impossible for me to follow because not only didn't I know it was on UPN at first, but it was on at like 5 or 6am. I remember turning on Frontier for the intro episodes, Sorcerimon's death, and Ranamon in a couple episodes cementing her as best girl along with Arukenimon. I just couldn't keep up because there was a point where they pushed it half an hour or an hour ahead, it was so early that I didn't wake up for it, and I genuinely forgot it was even on some weeks.

Digimon Data Squad was the same because I think it changed to either ABC Family (The free version, not the cable one) or they pushed its time on UPN, I forgot which, and I again couldn't keep up with it. I remember watching the intro, Damon punching a Digimon for his Agumon to evolve, the girl getting Sunflowmon, and then I never saw an episode again. I don't even know if they ever finished airing it here in the States because I don't remember ever tuning into Belphemon episodes or anything the few times I caught it after that.
>>
>>22524307
Savers was on Disney "XD". Frontier was on UPN on Sundays at first and then on weekdays at like 7 or 730. I know I first saw it on Sundays and then when it moved to weekdays, I was leaving for school when episodes would come on.
>>
>>22524314
Disney XD sounds like the right channel though I could have sworn they were still family before Data Squad went to it. Maybe different regions had different time schedules but here I had to wake up at 6am to watch Digimon, I remember that vividly, and I don't think they ever went to weekday programming by us, just Sunday and I think at one point they started airing stuff at like 5pm Saturdays too?
>>
>>22522126
digimon is about raising. This is the core mechanic, this is what is best at, this is why people keep saying DW is the perfect take on digimon, and this is why Vpets are sold at 100 bucks.
You can use all the "persona gameplay" "VN elements" fireworks you want, if you fail at your core mechanic you are failing at the most fundamental. The games are fragmented because they keep failing at this, purists want Vpets in 3D with a world to explore, anime fags only care about omegamon/angemon/whatevermon, and pokemon/persona fags want the series to be pokemon/persona and don't care about raising.
>>
>>22523852
No, the years between Frontier and Savers were worse and I'd argue Digimon never truly recovered from that.
>>
>>22524333
>>22524314
It was still called toon disney at the time Savers was running. They had it on the Jetix Block. I'm not sure if frontier even made the jump from Toon Disney/Jetix to Disney XD. A lot of stuff got dropped in that transition. Also My UPN ran Frontier after school, guess I was lucky.

>>22525632
easily
>>
>>22517426
I used to dislike it simply because I didn't want to bother watching another 50-episode series.

Then I watched it and realised I actually quite like it.
Some parts are a bit obnoxious but things like the henshin scenes and final battle are rad as hell. I like it better than Savers even.
>>
>>22524373
Digimon isn't about raising shit anymore.
They've rebooted World about 56 times now and still haven't noticed that people want ONE partner Digimon, not a Final Fantasy team of a dragon man, knight and my literal waifu. For all its flaws, why not let just ONE of the seven or eight seasons experiment a bit?
>>
>>22517426
>Never understood why.
Because it's bad with to many homages to adventure without any of what made them work in adventure.
>>
>>22523852
Never got the hate for Appmon, it was decent at worst.
>>
Frontiers is a season of highs and lows. How much people like it comes down to how much they're willing to forgive more than anything
>>
>>22531313
CGI, and not being called digimon.
>>
>>22531348
>Frontiers is a season of mids and lows.
Fixed
>>
>>22517437
Either have the spirits talking or they have the Child forms of the Spirits as the partners and they just fuse like Digimon Tamers previously did. Nothing about the show's structure changes, but at least they have partners now
>>
>>22531348
What are the highs?
>>
>>22531786
>>22531443
The OST is literally the best in all of Digimon.

And I am a CUNT when it comes to anything beating Digimon World at anything.
>>
>>22531438
Not to mention how they keep breaking aesops about becoming the protagonist of your own story... and the gay that comes from the territory (Haru and Yujin rely on each other too much, even when the latter is revealed to be a robot carrying one of the strongest God Appmon in existence). And despite the hype, Rebootmon end up being a 3DS game exclusive character. Finally, and this is for those with OCD, one Appmon Chip missing (Dopemon), making Appmon Chip collections incomplete forever.
>>
Off-topic rant, but I hate how after S1 the angels become jobbers in favor of Wargreymon-types wankery.
>>
>>22532088
I mean, it's related in that even though Hurricane Touchdown is where it first happened, Frontier is what firmly solidified that angel Digimon are jokes.
>>
>>22529203
>People want ONE partner Digimon, not a Final Fantasy team of a dragon man, knight and my literal waifu.

I dont
>>
>>22532461
You do.
You think you don't, but you do.
>>
>>22524373
>digimon is about raising. This is the core mechanic, this is what is best at
No one I have ever known cared significantly about the Tamagotchi/virtual platform pet aspect of the franchise. It was always beating up monsters with your own monster that drew people.

>>22529203
>people want ONE partner Digimon, not a Final Fantasy team of a dragon man, knight and my literal waifu.
I don't know about this. When I'm watching a show, yeah one Digimon and one kid with several of these pairs feels right, but that's probably because of adventure setting that as normal for me. On the other end of things, when I'm playing a video game I want my own person army of Digimon. One just makes me want more.
>>
>>22532088
>>22532424
cgerubimon is one of the strongest digimons above the likes of Magnamon. Lucemon is easily top10 strongest digimons of all time.
There is more to life than the 2 shitty adventure angels.
>>
>>22534546
>cgerubimon
Ib the case of Cherubimon, it would help if he actually won once in a while to back this up ,and yes vice counts as him.
>hurricane touchdown
Gets shit pushed in by magnamon and rapidmon
>Frontier
He's F
He's the first half boss, which is the best he has ever gotten. However, he loses his luster completely when put against the royal knights and lucemon in the second half.
>>
>>22534646
>Gets shit pushed in by magnamon and rapidmon
he literally didn't, he ate both and then committed suicide. They were going to fucking die, still, Magnamon has never been the strongest RK.
>he loses his luster completely when put against the royal knights
that never happened, he never fought the royal knights, however, magnagarurumon had to sacrifice himself for kaisergreymon to land a fatal blow, so perhaps he can defeat one RK at a time.
>>
>>22520610
you take that back, Arresterdramon and Gumdramon are great!
>>
>>22517426
I always make it a point to bring up a person's 02faggotry when they make a claim about Frontier
>>
>>22535343
>i have 02 living free in my head please help
>>
>>22535346
>telling someone they have no grounds on calling product x's quality without bringing up their hypocrisy is "living rent free"
whatever floats your boat
>>
>>22535395
automatically assuming someone has a hot take on 02 when it's pretty commonly acknowledged that both Frontier and 02 are complete shit is pretty rent free yeah
>>
>>22535411
nigga I'm talking about nostalgiafags who go "muh 1-3"
>>
>>22535562
>i have nostalgiafags who go "muh 1-3" living in my head please help
>>
>>22535604
what are you rambling about nigger? you never talked to digimon nostalgiafags?
>>
>>22534946
>that never happened, he never fought the royal knights
It doesn't matter that he never fought the Royal Knights. What matters is that Cherubimon lost pretty decisively against KaiserGreymon and MagnaGarurumon, who after a one-episode break for IceDevimon, proceed to spend the next ten episodes eating shit against the Royal Knights. The presentation is clearly that if Dynasmon and LordKnightmon had wanted to, they could have stomped Cherubimon in a few seconds, because they routinely do that to the guys who beat Cherubimon.
>>
>>22535640
>Cherubimon lost pretty decisively against KaiserGreymon and MagnaGarurumon
again, it was a sacrifice needed for them to win. Cherubimon could've defeated them individually, and when comes to the RKs he has no chance against BOTH, but one at a time i don't see why he wouldn't.
>>
Have any of you beautiful lads seen the X-evolution movie? What did you think of it?

I want to see it for myself for the first time but I can't find it in good quality. Does it even exist?
>>
>>22517426
Ranamon should have been a more recurring character or the secondary heroine.
>>
>>22539166
it came out a long time ago, before HD was a thing.
What's available online are direct DVD rips and never had another kind of release, the original models and source is probably lost forever. There is a TV release and you better avoid that, it's missing stuff to fitt into a TV screen.
You can check an upscale at youtube, haven't seen it yet so don't know how good it is.

>What did you think of it?
i don't think is good but i like it.
>>
>>22539166
I kinda loved it; I really like DORUmon and the "genocide of old species" was mysterious.
Only downside is that I'm burned out on Royal Knights, but otherwise it's sick.
>>
>>22539185
Just because you want to fuck the fish girl doesn't mean she deserved more of the spotlight. But it would've been nice.
>>
>>22539277
>one of the 10 legendary warriors, the most important part of the lore in the series, didn't deserved more spotlight
>>
>>22539247
I mean we don't really see much of the X-antibody versions of the RKs (or anything else for that matter)
>>
>>22539277
>>22539283
Add that Ranamon represents Water. One of the most important and iconic natural elements. Honestly, when people think of elements, the first two that pop to one's mind are water and fire.
>>
>>22539897
>Honestly, when people think of elements, the first two that pop to one's mind are water and fire.
Now days people just regurgitate the avatar opening: Water, Earth, Fire, Air.
>>
For me it's fire, ice, volt
>>
>not breath, light, time and space
>>
>>22539185
>>22539277
>>22539283
There was an episode where it turned out there were four more kids who pretty obviously should have gotten the other four sets of Spirits so they'd have a full team. Not only do they send the kids home right away, but the idea never even seems to cross the writers' minds. By that point they've already lost to the Royal Knights twice, you'd think they'd at least start considering other ideas than just using KaiserGreymon and MagnaGarurumon all the time.
>>
File: 1600208222572.png (139 KB, 959x969)
139 KB
139 KB PNG
>>22540455
>Not water, fire, air, and dirt, fucking magnets how do they work?
>>
>>22540490
magnetism is the domain of aether; the fifth classical element. What, you didn't believe physicists coughing up stop gaps like 'dark numbers' was something *new* - did you?
>>
>>22517426
>the least liked
>the inevitable reboot
You are a funny person, I'll give you that.
>>
>>22540485
That sounds like a case of toyline failure and a retooling changing the back half of the series. The original plan might of been to give the Earth, Water, Wood and Steel spirits the L/K treatment like Darkness.
>>
>>22541033
Zero Two's already has Beginnings, Tamers is in limbo with the writer and cast issues, Frontier is the only other one out of the original 4 they can do.
>>
>>22517426
It really wasn't that bad. The only real downside was in the latter half when all the importance went to Takuya and Kouji when they used the spirits of everyone else for a power boost essentially making over half the main cast into NPCs.That coupled with the Royal Knights shit-stomping them all the way until Lucemon is freed made it kind of not worth watching.
>>
>>22542392
Why would they choose Frontier over more Adventurewank?
>>
>>22542488
Because : flopped. Follow ups are what people are obviously interested in, and Frontier has pottential for a follow up.
>>
>>22542516
Not with Frontier being the flop it was it doesn't
>>
>>22542524
Lol, if they really thought Frontier wasn't worth anything they wouldn't've done CSA's for them.
>>
>>22542527
You mean that thing they do for everything
>>
>>22542540
It was the second release after Tamers, and they didn't need to do it for Frontier, but they did, so clearly they believe there is a market for the season. Just because you want to dismiss it doesn't change that fact.
>>
>>22542527
>CSA
Look, all the kids taking their clothes off when turning into Digimon was very weird, but I wouldn't call it CSA.
>>
>>22542587
I mean it wasn't really different from when Tamers Bio Merged. But you're right about one thing, it's not CSA (Complete Selection Animation) it's SCSA (Super Complete Selection Animation) :p
>>
>>22529203
>They've rebooted World about 56 times now and still haven't noticed that people want ONE partner Digimon, not a Final Fantasy team of a dragon man, knight and my literal waifu.
Wholeheartedly agree.
>>
File: Beelstarmon.jpg (79 KB, 750x750)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
Digiwaifus be pretty good but they job so constantly in some seasons i am scared that when beelstarmon does show up she gets absolutely mogged on a debut episode
>>
>>22542575
Nah, you're just delusional and stupid.
>>
>>22517426
It's not even good as a "toku" show. It's just bad.
>>
>>22542899
i can see her losing her pistols and screaming for help or some shit, these fucking shit writters
>>
>>22543067
Doesn't mean much coming from you
>>
File: 1651432258828.jpg (186 KB, 1024x776)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>22517437
>It's not until the last fucking episode where it's shown they're sapient
>>
>>22517437
yep, but at least there decks were good in the TCG and red hyrbid is still one of the best decks
>>
>>22544164
I know people shot on the digimon tcg for some reason but frankly its far more accesible than all the other card games, does not have set rotation like pokemon or magic, and it does not have whatever the fuck yugioh has devolved into.
The card game is saving this franchise
>>
>>22544206
Not anymore. Apparently they recently made a box topper so OP it had to be banned before release, making an entire set unsellable. Most retailers dropped the game now, and there are no regionals anywhere in the country. It's over
>>
>>22517426
It had that fag couple digimon that acted like faggots all the time.
Otherwise it was pretty good. Shame that the two main characters blitzed everyone to uselessness, but Tamers was the one that hadn't at this point.
>>
>>22529007
>I'm not sure if frontier even made the jump from Toon Disney/Jetix to Disney XD. A lot of stuff got dropped in that transition
Don't think so. Hell if I recall that channel straight up picked up Pokemon right after the transition along with Yokai Watch later. I could be misremembering because I can recall like two DXD Digimon promos for a while.

Kinda wild how Digimon was the last Saban holdover to hang on, Power Rangers was gonna make the jump too but they didn't bother (not a major deal but it was during RPM which was legit). Wild to think how the Malaysia branch got Ryukendo as it's replacement but we didn't.
>>
>>22540400
That's also the Captain Planet lineup, it's just drilled into our skulls at this point.
>>
>>22543946
this isn't true, takato is aware his digimon side is actually alive
>>
>>22517433
The only people who like 02 are the ones who started with 02, since it either sidelines or dumps on S1 characters. No one gave a shit when they didn't even appear at the start of Tri.

>>22517444
Yeah, Frontier isn't bad but it feels like more of a side-story / what if rather than a digimon story. I liked it, but it's definitely different.
Tamers is also very different but retains the partner dynamic.
>>
>>22545137
I like 02 and started with the original. However, I'll be the first to tell you it has major problems and the whole second half feels like an unrewardingmess mess. I'll also tell you that 01 is a much much much betrer show. The whole blackwargreymon destiny stone arc was dumb. Having to bring in Myotismon back to be the final boss felt like a major stretch at the end even as a kid. The entirety of everything related to the dark ocean. They basically wanted you to pretend the dark ocean only exists when it's convenient, like banishing demon there. They sad thing is they treat the dark ocean the same way 20 years latter. Even among the main cast, it felt like TK and Kari were underutilized considering what they had already done. TK in the first half really should have been an experienced voice to contrast with Davis the new hot head. The only moment tk really gets that felt like someone who had already been through much worse was the scene where he confronts Ken. We needed more of that.
As for why I actually liked it, it's mostly the start and the Digimon. I loved the entire Digimon emperor arc as a kid that really hooked me. I liked Davis and Ken a lot especially as a kid. Ken moving forward from being the Digimon emperor and Davis dragging him up culminating in Paildramon was one of the fews things I like in the second half. I loved the Digimon in the show and the evolution gimmicks, Armor and jogress, were great. Did I wish the 01 cast was in it more, absolutely. However, I also liked how the 01 cast was being brought in to act mentors to the new cast on the episodes where the new cast was getting digiarmors which corresponded to the 01 character's crest during the first arc. Ultimately, even with the mess it turns into, the series is still one I like. If I could dump most everything after the digimon emperor arc and make a new second half I would gladly do it.
>>
File: 17123623473478.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>22545328
>They basically wanted you to pretend the dark ocean only exists when it's convenient, like banishing demon there.
What happened to this poor guy anyways? Was he acting under Myotismon's order or was he independent of him?
>>
>>22545328
Dark Ocean and the Digimon who live there should've been the main villains after the Digimon Emperor arc.
>>22545937
He was working independently.

Daemon and his henchmen should've been working for Myotismon/ Owikawa. They just showed up as a rival faction who wanted the Dark Spores for unknown reasons and their endgame was never explained.

It would've made more sense if Daemon and company were on Owikawa/ Myotismon's payroll, but decided to usurp him and carry out his plan.
>>
>>22546053
In some other world Demon is fighting Dagomon with his rape slave Maki.
>>
>>22545328
>Having to bring in Myotismon back to be the final boss felt like a major stretch at the end even as a kid.
Vamdemon coming back in 02 was always the plan, except he wasn't meant to be the final villain. I suspect Demon was supposed to fill that role.
>>
Plenty of other Anon have chimed in on their issues with Frontier, but I'll do so as well before I go to bed. As someone who watched MMPR and Saban's Masked Rider (It deserved more episodes) as a kid, Digimon 01/02 and Tamers in my late youth and early teens I personally had one major issue with Frontier, It did not feel like Digimon. I never finished Tamers when it was airing - made it to I think Digmon appearing in the real world? Shit got all dark and red and spooky or something. Loved the concept of 01 and 02 being fictional in Tamers, how some kid just like me was such a Digimon fan he made his own blue card and just up and made his own Digimon. Hell, tried it myself a number of times, knowing it would not work but hoping all the same. The first time I saw Frontier was walking in on my youngest brother watching it. Had zero idea it was even Digimon at first glance. No partners on the screen, semi-generic look - figured it was just one of the random anime series aired on Disney XD at the time. After he told me it was Digimon/Digimon came up in the show I watched a bit more. Watched the next day and the next. It was vaguely interesting and the fist girl Digimon was cute, but it felt like a side story. There was nothing compelling or all that interesting about the show. Just some kids on a generic-seeming adventure. I watched 4-5 episodes in a row and a few scattered after. The most interesting, non-fishgirl parts being the random kids in the Digital world that were booted back to the real world, which I thought was some serious bullshit. Imagine going to someplace as incredible as the Digital World and promptly being kicked out. Sheer bullshit. The Digivolutions were nothing great either. I know it's not my blog, but I decided I would echo what a lot of other Anons have said in the thread.
>>
>>22517437
>>22531676
This was really it.
All the complaints I heard back when it was airing would have been rectified by this.
>>
>>22517669
>I really wouldn't say so.
only because >The shows
You're only thinking in regard to the anime, whereas the core of Digimon, what that anon actually meant, is the vpets.
The origin of the franchise is you and your partner Digimon against everyone else.
Any and everyone who miss this are retards.
>>
File: Flamon_early.jpeg.jpg (41 KB, 458x700)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>22546553
Im late to this thread but the original idea for Frontier was that because Biomerge/Matrix evolution was so popular in Tamers they wanted to do the same thing. So each kid would have fused with actual Digimon. But for some fucking reason they decided to make them Saint Seiya armours.

It was also going to be some sort of Colosseum battle anime...
>>
File: ETgWxDwWkAAX40H.jpg (70 KB, 600x429)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>22549170
>>
>>22549170
Bizarre. The idea you posted sounds fun.
>>
>>22543389
It means everything actually
>>
>>22546713
No, that's part of it. In the v-pets, the games, etc. it's even worse because neither the tamer nor the digimon have any dialogue, therefore there's no real dynamic
>>
>>22549170
>>22549177
This looks sick. Still got that old-school V-pet aesthetic.

Persona should try something like this.
>>
>>22549273
You don't need dialogue to have a dynamic or character though
>>
File: jsy3rlyv8r581.jpg (201 KB, 1080x1080)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>Hybrid Digimon never make it back into new anime or any of the mainline games
Honestly, this is the saddest part. They basically treat Hybrids as the same category as Appmon, with Susanoomon being the only exception.
>>
>>22517426
Best OP though.

Fire > Biggest Dreamer = Target >>>>>>>>>>> Butterfly
>>
>>22550413
>>Hybrid Digimon never make it back into new anime or any of the mainline games
>Honestly, this is the saddest part. They basically treat Hybrids as the same category as Appmon, with Susanoomon being the only exception.

>>22550413

What are you fucking talking about? Next Order, Hackers Memory, then the ports, Adventure 2020 and Ghost Game all had hybrid spirits. And they are in vpets vital bracelet and the card game.
>>
File: Kaisergreymon.webm (3.92 MB, 640x480)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB WEBM
>>
File: Magna Garurumon.webm (3.99 MB, 640x480)
3.99 MB
3.99 MB WEBM
>>
File: Frontier Opening.webm (3.8 MB, 640x480)
3.8 MB
3.8 MB WEBM
>>
I hate Frontier so much.
What were they thinking
>>
File: Frontier Ending 1.webm (815 KB, 640x480)
815 KB
815 KB WEBM
>>
>>22554965
>wwWAAAAHHHHHHHH WE SHOULD HAVE LESS CONTENT
>>
>>22555956
Yes but unironically
>>
File: Loweemon.jpg (322 KB, 1740x1196)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
>>
File: Aldamon.jpg (318 KB, 1740x1242)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
>>
File: 1705215623338980.png (1.5 MB, 1052x1488)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB PNG
>>22517426
I liked the concept, but the quality dropped a lot in the last arc. Constantly running around, losing a bunch, no one mattering except the two main dudes.
>>
File: Kaiser Leomon.jpg (431 KB, 1746x1228)
431 KB
431 KB JPG
>>
File: Joker Agnimon.png (109 KB, 202x188)
109 KB
109 KB PNG
>>
>>
>>22558111
i fucking love fairymon bros
>>
File: Fairimon Hip Shake.webm (113 KB, 566x700)
113 KB
113 KB WEBM
>>22561693
She's pretty hot
>>
File: You call that attacking.jpg (771 KB, 1440x1080)
771 KB
771 KB JPG
>>
>>22550413
Hudiemon is a human digimon hybrid
>>
>>22517426
I can excuse the unorthodox gimmick. I cannot excuse everyone except the two main kids being reduced to cheerleader roles in the second half.
>>
File: Blitzmon.jpg (150 KB, 1440x1080)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>
File: Frontier spirits.jpg (394 KB, 1276x956)
394 KB
394 KB JPG
>>
File: Seraphimon back.jpg (309 KB, 1440x1080)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>>
File: Izumi ground.png (1.17 MB, 1440x1080)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB PNG
>>
File: Frontier Angemon.jpg (819 KB, 1440x1080)
819 KB
819 KB JPG
>>
File: Susanoomon.jpg (820 KB, 1440x1080)
820 KB
820 KB JPG
>>
I only liked the Hosoda movies but I like the concept of this show I also liked the HOT BLOODED characters in Savers
>>
File: No way no way.png (1.12 MB, 1440x1080)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
>>
>>22517426
>Kamen Rider Digimon is the least liked.
Even once you come to terms with the gimmick, Frontier is just very boring and repetitive. That said, I think Xros/Hunters are less liked at this point. Frontier is at least cushioned a little bit by nostalgiafaggotry.
>the inevitable reboot
If by "inevitable" you mean "never happening ever," then sure.
>>
File: Takuya's mother.jpg (92 KB, 1440x1080)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>
>>22568963
XW has this board as a bunker at least. Most people on /m/ like it even though that doesn't seem to be true elsewhere.

XW Hunters is pretty indefensible though, yeah
>>
>>22517426
Sad because it and Tamers are my favorites.
>>
File: Frontier Opening.jpg (1019 KB, 1440x1080)
1019 KB
1019 KB JPG
>>
>>22519386
>>What was the deal with Koji and Koichi's parents pretending the other was dead and disowning one of their kids?
>Shame. Their parents split and mom took one of them while dad the other. Rather than acknowledge the divorce they just pretended the other was dead so they wouldn't deal with the shame from everyone around them (it is a Japanese society thing, but failing a marriage is also just generally seen as shameful in a lot of society)

This is one of the legit cases when its ok to say, goddammit japan, like what's wtong with that shortsigth, dont they realize that sometimes marriages dont work, and sometimes partners are abusive?
>>
>>22570384
lol esl
>>
>>22519469
Wasnt because just like 02 there was too many cooks in the kitchen and end up running out of episodes and time to have a proper finale? I remember the last scenes of Frontier literally just being the kids beating off the weird half angel half devil kid and the camera just pans out and shows the kids looking at the camera and saying something among the lines of "WE MADE IT" and BAM! DUH END!
>>
File: Takuya.jpg (409 KB, 960x480)
409 KB
409 KB JPG
>>
File: Let me show you.jpg (758 KB, 1440x1080)
758 KB
758 KB JPG
>>
>>22570384
is better to believe your father is dead, than to obsess over ever meeting him and ask why he didn't like you.
>>
>>22571051
No, better to face the uncomfortable truth than spend your life believing in a lie.
>>
>>22571061
t. has never faced an uncomfortable truth in his life
Is not something you wish others to face, and is a mark you'll have for the rest of your life. Is normal a parent would want to spare them some of the pain.
>>
>>22571069
>Is not something you wish others to face,
Why? Everyone confronts reality one way or another.
>>
>>22571069
That backfires when they learn the truth and get trust issues.
>>
>>22517426
Fairymon is the best.
>>
>>22571075
you don't want others to suffer for something they never had control over but still directly affects them.
>>22571111
trust issues has more to do with you being a shithead than anything, plenty of people don't develop a complex over santa not being real.
It depends on the person, but i would argue you have a better time explaining it to an adult than to a kid, i think is one of those "wait for the child to ask" things.
>>
>>22571137
>you don't want others to suffer for something they never had control over but still directly affects them.
Why do you believe the truth equates to suffering? The truth can be a chance to grow. Besides, why should a parent not face consequences for abandoning their child? Living a lie isn't emotionally healthy.
>>
>>22571137
There's a world of difference between santa not being real and one of your birth parents being alive when you thought they were dead
>>
"Don't try to find the truth, just pretend everything's fine and your parents know what's best even if they're hiding missing family members from you." is a pretty awful message to give on a kid's show desu.
>>
>>22571194
I get the idea of "ignorance is bliss", but that doesn't make it the correct choice.
>>
>>22571166
>Why do you believe the truth equates to suffering? The truth can be a chance to grow.
in this case why wouldn't it be suffering? first thing the kid would do is to look for the person on social media and start stalking them.
>why should a parent not face consequences for abandoning their child?
different topic.
>>22571169
a lot of people are bitchy about the santa thing. A lot of people are bitchy about multiple topics. It depends on the person as i said, it could mean nothing to them or it could shatter their reality.
>>
>>22571238
>different topic.
No, it's not. Lying to your kid and tricking them into thinking their other parent is dead and they don't have a brother because you don't want to admit you're divorced is shitty behavior, and the kind of person who does that is certainly lying to their kid about a 1000 other things. Why the fuck should that be tolerated?
>>
File: Read more books.png (1.47 MB, 1440x1080)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB PNG
>>
File: Lucemon Satan Mode.jpg (107 KB, 1440x1080)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>
File: Tomoki ep 40.png (1.17 MB, 1440x1080)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB PNG
>>
>>22571197
Doesn't help Adventure had a similar situation with Koshiro's parents keeping missing family members secret from him, except that ended with his mom and dad admitting that keeping the fate of his real parents a secret wasn't helpful and they still love him as if he were their own.
>>
>>22570384
>goddammit japan,
It's not weird Japanese shit. It's just Frontier writers being stupid. Japan's cool with divorce. In fact, they let you divorce even when your spouse is dead.
https://kokoro-jp.com/culture/3860/
>>
File: 1701742805720564.jpg (254 KB, 1048x480)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>>22561693
Same
>>
>>22519404
Get a load of this ADHD faggot lol.
>>
>>22522021
my favorite is adventure 2020, I liked omnimon doing cool stuff
>>
File: explosive conclusion.webm (3.88 MB, 1440x1080)
3.88 MB
3.88 MB WEBM
>>22517426
>inevitable reboot
Still makes me laugh.
>>
Why did using the human and beast spirits together turn them into a new form, shouldn't it have just turned them into the ancient form? The spirits were made by splitting up the 10s power into a human and beast spirit so shouldn't combining those just make the ancient warrior?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.