[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1711918971611030.jpg (575 KB, 1536x2048)
575 KB
575 KB JPG
>Toei animated a crossover movie between Beast King GoLion and Armored Fleet Dairugger XV for the sake of an American dub where GoLion and Dairugger were actually in the same universe
What did Japanese fans think of this?
>>
>>22559593
>where GoLion and Dairugger were actually in the same universe
They are?
I'm not the biggest Voltron fan around but didn't know they had another giant robot in the same show.
>>
>>22559944
they ran out of episodes. It backfired HARD as the new mech had nothing to do with lions.
>>
>>22559967
I thought what happened was they originally planned an entire trilogy. Lion Voltron was originally going to be Daltanious and Albegas was supposed to be the last one, though I think some toys came out calling it Voltron, but Vehicle wasn't as popular so they commissioned Toei to make new episodes with Lion along with the crossover.
>>
>>22560273
to this day wonder what would've happened if they got the rights for gaogaigar and became part of the voltron verse.
>>
>>22561692
Considering GGG is made by an entirely separate company as part of a successor to Transformers in Japan with no relation to GoLion, it would be completely nonsensical.
>>
>>22562055
as nonsenical as combining 3 unrelated anime into one because they have giant robots combining.
>stay tuned for Voltron New Gen this saturday morning on Goatse TV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0kQ1fQRarI
>>
I'm probably the only Vehicle Voltron fan (also saw Dairugger XV and Vehicle did a good job keeping it as true to the original).

I never cared for the lions. I was a huge Transformers fan so I liked the idea of 15 combat vehicles forming. Plus the bad guys were actually respectable instead of one-dimensional conquerors; they were paranoid that the Galaxy Alliance was trying to subvert them and there were sensible guys that wanted to broker peace. Not to mention, the villains had the sense to attack the vehicles before they formed into the gestalt several times.
>>
>>22562203
What combiner robot has the most individual units making up its form?
>>
>>22562203
>Not to mention, the villains had the sense to attack the vehicles before they formed into the gestalt several times.
That happens in Golion all the time.
>>
>>22561692
>>22562055
>>22562197
Pretty sure they went with GoLion and Dairugger XV both being Voltron is because they had a similar face, so it was easier make them part of the same universe, much like Macross and Southern Cross both being Robotech.

You also reminded me that it was Voltrons fault that the US release of GGG ended up losing support in never releasing final in the states or the rest of the sires getting a dub.
>>
>>22562212
Fifteen is very high. There’s a Microman robot that’s made from 16 parts, but I struggle to think of any with more than that which isn’t a free-combining, hyper-modular, anything-can-go-anywhere mecha soup (like some Machine Robo Mugenbine fan formations)
>>
>>22559593
They’re both sixty meters tall dude
>>
>>22562231
As I said, I thought that originally they wanted Daltanious at first, when they called Toei to get the license they forgot its name and called it "the one with the lion" which led to them getting GoLion.
>>
File: file.png (778 KB, 1000x563)
778 KB
778 KB PNG
>>22562212
>>22562250
>you called?
>>
File: Albegas.png (921 KB, 553x1028)
921 KB
921 KB PNG
>>22562254
And going Golion ending up working out better because it a more simplistic yet ionic design to it and had a team of five as being part of each limb. They also had Albegas in mind but scraped it for toy only as they relased it look nothing like GoLion or Dairugger XV and was only a team of three which meant less toys to sell.
>>
>>22559593
Unrelated but I will never not be mad at Voltron for irreparably damaging the image of the super robot genre in the west.
>>
>>22562267
You can't "damage the image" of giant fucking robots, the west just simply doesn't like them.
>>
Anyone remember that 3D Voltron sequel with Tim Curry as Lotor?
>>
Daltanious is hideous looking robot and show. I doubt it would find any success in America and don’t know why they wanted it in the first place. Besides, for totally unrelated reasons Golion was a major inspiration for the first Megazord/Daizyujin. Sometimes it’s just fate.
>>
>>22562203
Vehicle is a better show compared to Lion and Dairugger is a better show compared to Golion
The only reason why you'd ever watch Golion is for the gore and most of the entertainment value stems from the shock factor that this show would become Voltron
>>
>>22562282
>Tim Curry as Lotor?
Literally the only saving grace of that show
>>
>>22562267
mazinger is still iconic in the entire planet.
>>
>>22562364
Spain is the ass crack of the world, not the entirety of it.
>>
>>22562375
>spain out of nowhere
leñe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIM0ykqlpVc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_66FGlPz6fM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA5WLCHwpyw
>>
>>22562266
unrelated but albegas has always sounded like the coolest fucking name for a robot
>>
>>22562375
>Spain
?
>>
No more confusing to the japanese than the white dairanger being in zyuranger in america
>>
>>22562479
Or how about him, the Dragon Ranger, OhRed, Red Racer, and AbareBlack being the same person.
>>
>>22562434
Tacos, Esfirras i Burritos! Andale!
>>
>>22562602
are you ok anon
>>
>>22562438
ALpha
BEta
GAmma
S
>>
>>22562197
>>22562231
GoLion and Dairugger are Toei Animation series, sponsored by Popy.

GGG was a Sunrise series sponsored by Takara.

And Macross/Southern Cross/Mospeada are all Tatsunoko series.
>>
>>22562266
They are currently taking pre-orders for Lightspeed Electroloid Albegas on bluray right now. I have wanted to see it since my friend came home with the "Gladiator Voltron" toys back in 1985 or whenever.
>>
>>22562932
? and not not every transformer was owned by Takara some were from rival companies, best example Omega Supreme being a Toybox toy.
These days even the freaking gobots are owned by hasbro, copyright holders are a mess. This is all just an example, if WEP wanted the rights for all lion mecha they could've got them, the japs wouldn't have cared.
>>
>>22562932
Basically the reason why they didn't us Orguss despite being the closest series to the original Macross and at some point was considered the future of Macross like Turn A or G-Reco style.
>>
>>22563693
No it's a TMS anime. They couldn't touch it.
>>
>>22562212
Armageddon version of Shin Getter Dragon.
>>
>>22563693
>at some point was considered the future of Macross like Turn A or G-Reco style.
Is there any place to read about this?
>>
>>22562962
For Transformers that was only with Hasbro region toys. Product licensing is separate from tv production.

But my main response to your point was that Voltron happened because WEP licensed 3 Toei shows. If they licensed GGG they would've had to go through Sunrise and Takara, several wholly different companies. Robotech happened because Harmony Gold made an agreement with Tatsunoko.
>>
>>22563986
Just watch the show. The MC references Minmay and some other Macross characters.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.