[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mlp/ - Pony

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: discordd.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
Now that the dust has settled, what the fuck was his problem?
>>
>>41220450
he had an atari jaguar as a kid
>>
>>41220450
Being normal will literally kill him.
>>
>>41220450
I hate that he was created, but he's still one of my favorite characters.
>>
>>41220482
He was good until someone had the bright idea of "we want to have this world ending big bad character in the cast, lets redeem him but since we want the initial version of the character he's not going to actually change".
>>
>>41220486
Hes not even chaotic in his debut, hes implicitly evil, cackles maniacally and enjoys the suffering of others even when salt has already been rubbed in the wound. I wish they just outright said that at some point in the show.
>Discord you arent chaotic, you’re just an asshole with a nuke.
>>
>>41220487
I don't think you could make a character that's truly chaotic. True chaos would be too random for humans to even make sense of. So there has to be limits on how chaotic a character can be. In that sense I think Discord works pretty well especially since he isn't supposed to represent only chaos. He is supposed to be the antithesis of the elements of harmony. So it makes sense that he would be happy when he successfully splits the mane 6 apart. I like to think of his chaos as a tool that helps him create discord instead of it being his ultimate goal.
>>
File: 2584313.png (1.13 MB, 1536x1563)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB PNG
>>41220450
the problem is that he wasn't female
>>
a personality disorder
>>
Being written by a w*man.
>>
>>41220487
An asshole with a nuke is pretty chaotic.
Will there be a town tomorrow?
Will there be a crater?
We may never know.

Anyway, in his debut he defines the chaos that he represents, which is how consistency works. You can't be inconsistent before you've been consistent.

>Scootaloo: Chaos!
>Sweetie Belle: It's not chaos, you dodo!
>Scootaloo: Don't call me things I don't know the meaning of! And it is too chaos!

>Cheerilee: Now let's go, and I don't want anymore fighting.
>Apple Bloom: It's confusion!
>Sweetie Belle: Evil!
>Scootaloo: Chaos!

>- and stop Discord before he thrusts all of Equestria into eternal chaos.

>Pinkie Pie: Hold on a second! Eternal chaos comes with chocolate rain, you guys. Chocolate rain!

>Discord: ] Game's over, my little ponies. You didn't find your precious elements. [mewl] Looks like we might be due for a big old storm of chaos.

Here are all mentions of "chaos" in s2e1. Chaos is mostly just a bad guess from children. Other than that, chaos is a thing discord brings, and not a personality description of discord or a core part of his self image. Taken literally, it's the chaos of a snow globe you shook or the chaos of a window smashed by glass. According to scotaloo's interpretation of the discord statue, it's the chaos of physically looking like a freak.

Getting less literal, we can assume that pinkie's identification of "chocolate rain" as being representative of chaos would mean that random acts of natural-order defying magic are chaotic. It's strange to think of a natural order existing in a world with pony-controlled weather and ecology, but the ponies recognize a "normal" state things "should be" in, and so recognize this form of chaos.

Lastly, discord changes all but the most core aspect of a personality and then sets the bodies of his victims loose. Each person betrays the projects they had dedicated their lives to, while somehow still getting a form of satisfaction out of life which makes some sense for them. This happens after a test of faith, generally. They act in direct contradiction to their prior held ideals and limitations. This is probably the most "chaos" part of discord. He challenges the philosophies of others, creates a vacuum of meaning. He destroys prior held meaning and a new, contradicting idea fills the void. In these new personality-altered states, the characters have new conflicts with each other to resolve, creating social discord from philosophical chaos.

By implication, Harmony/order reinforces a prior state, creates stillness, perpetuation, and faith against reason, and fights change. It might have liked eternal night, if eternal night was normal.

So yeah, I think discord is a pretty good agent of chaos and creates a good distinction between chaos and order.
>>
>>41220563
wtf I love discord (fem) now
>>
File: 1579288276760.png (831 KB, 1668x938)
831 KB
831 KB PNG
>>41220450
Being introduced after we had this.
>>
>>41220563
The problem was that he was OLD AS FUCK. Draw female Discord correctly, she's an old hag in her 70s. A VERY OLD HAG.
>>
>>41220966
Yeah, but discord seems to choose to look like an old man. He's certainly very spry for an ancient evil. Dude made himself into a balloon with a face on it just to screw with pinkie. If female discord (Eris is a common name for that) wants to look young or old, not really much stopping the character from doing so.
>>
>>41220450
Redeeming an objectively evil guy who has no redeeming value beside appeasing le fandom.
Discord himself is perfectly fine as he is, as a stone.
>>
>>41220487
His meds are abusing fluttershy sexually.
>>
>>41220745
>He challenges the philosophies of others, creates a vacuum of meaning. He destroys prior held meaning and a new, contradicting idea fills the void. In these new personality-altered states, the characters have new conflicts with each other to resolve, creating social discord from philosophical chaos.
This is an eloquent way to put it.

>>41220966
The voice and attitude of a 70yo in a timeless body is what peak performance looks like.
>>
>>41220476
this entire board
>>
>>41220450
He did stuff just because he could. Literally for shits and giggles
>>
i wish he wasn't unstoned until the end of the show as the endgame villain. a resentful discord taking the m6 seriously and fucking with them way more vindictively would have been kino.
>>
>>41220966
I'd prefer milf eris over gilf eris though
>>
>>41220450
They seriously fucked up by not expanding upon chaos magic to give Discord something to do offscreen.
>Discord takes over Equestria
>princesses stone him
>1000 years of harmony because the embodiment of chaos is gone
>suddenly, a bunch of villains start popping up, making harmony increasingly harder to maintain
>it turns out that the universe demands chaos to balance out harmony and, without Discord, it was slowly building it up in other parts of the world
His reformation now involves him learning restraint and making a deal with the princesses where he's free to spread chaos as long as he doesn't go overboard with lethal or world ending shit. He can be a source of conflict and play pranks but also help the mane 6 without straight up soloing the villains (he wants conflict). His (controlled) chaos balances out the world, indirectly stopping other, potentially more dangerous sources of chaos from popping up.
>>
>>41221847
>le grey zone
Never like this needlessly complicated fanfiction scenario. Discord is an asshole hence he got petrified for being one.
>>
>>41220966
>old lady Eris who acts like a nice granny and uses it to lure people into her tricks
That actually works incredibly well.
>"Oh would you mind helping me across the street?"
>makes the street continually expand
>"Would you like to try out my muffins?"
>they actually turn into frogs in your mouth
>>41222184
This.
>>
>>41220966
Yeah it’s not like women ever try to make themselves look younger.
>>
>>41222184
>needlessly complicated
How? It's expanding upon harmony as a metaphysical force and giving chaos a more well defined role in the world. It's no different from the spark or the tree of harmony.
>Discord is an asshole hence he got petrified for being one
Yes and this gives an explanation to why the guy who's been around for so long had zero grasp of friendship. He would have been the living opposite of the elements harmony. It would also explain why he struggled so much with his reformation as it required going against everything he stood for.
>>
File: 1720207436216011.png (153 KB, 1000x1057)
153 KB
153 KB PNG
>>41222799
>It's expanding upon harmony as a metaphysical force and giving chaos a more well defined role in the world.
Because black and white morality makes more sense for a children show. Plus redeeming the antithesis of harmony is as retarded as redeeming Dracula in a Castlevania game.
I'm not saying that grey morality shouldn't exist but it belongs to a fanfiction.
>>
>>41222823
Children aren't stupid. They can grasp the idea that someone doing something wrong can be due to them being misguided. One of the Glimmer episodes even addressed that. It's also coherent with the show's ongoing theme of giving people a second chance.

It makes sense that they would try to redeem Discord, the writers just did a shitty job at handling it. He's a godlike reality warper who solos anything short of a fully powered Tirek. Having someone like that on your side is a no brainer. As for why Discord would want such a thing, I already explained it in a previous post.
>>
File: 1720637687404.jpg (330 KB, 1800x1355)
330 KB
330 KB JPG
>>41220450
He was trying to teach Twilight and her friends a lesson so they grew as leaders by antagonizing them in a situation that he had enough control over to never put them in actual danger while letting them think they were in peril.
Same thing he did to Picard.
>>
>>41222884
>It makes sense that they would try to redeem Discord
No it doesn't.
>They can grasp the idea that someone doing something wrong can be due to them being misguided.
Yes, there are misguided people out there. But teaching children to redeem every evil person with a pulse is just as harmful. Even Faust hates the idea of redeeming a villain.
>>
>>41223800
There were cases of villains who just wouldn't want to change their ways but Discord was an odd case where he simply didn't knew what he was missing. He was so used to his chaos shtick that when he got a taste of friendship he didn't wanted to lose it.
>>
>>41223819
>he didn't wanted to lose it.
Yet he acts like a dick 24/7 to the point of endangering Equestria multiple times anyway. Why not just stay a villain at this point?
Forgiving Discord is an insult to the ponies that suffer from his mistake.
>>
>>41223839
That was on the writers for mishandling him. He genuinely enjoyed being friends with Fluttershy to the point of feeling jealous. He them made more friends and it became obvious that he was awfully inexperienced at friendship despite his confidence.
>>
>>41223848
>That was on the writers for mishandling him.
I give you that, allying with Tirek already pushed the line. It's hard to take the show as a whole seriously anymore.
>>
>>41220450
Average /b/tard
>>
>>41223839
>chocolate rain and cotton candy clouds
doesn't sound like suffering to me anon
>>
>>41220563
>guys what if [character]
>except [waifubait slop]
>>
OP, how many 'argue about a contentious character' threads are gonna start with "now that the dust has settled?' Jeez.
>>
>>41224480
>what if [husbandobait] but not made for faggots/women but I repeat myself
>>
>>41220450
Being a sadistic fuck and an obnoxious asshole.
>>
File: 3050283.png (1.86 MB, 2887x2163)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB PNG
>>41224480
>anything I don't like is low quality
lol, here's your (You) lazy bastard.
>>
>>41223819
>He was so used to his chaos shtick that when he got a taste of friendship he didn't wanted to lose it.
This only happened in the episode where they decide to reform him. There was no sign of him desiring any kind of friendship at all in his first appearance.
>>
>>41225063
He was an absolute attentionwhore in S2. Turns out that friendship is like a neverending supply of attention without the risk of getting stoned.
>>
>>41225063
That's how it went, yeah. He pushed Fluttershy around and accidentally grew attached to her. He was willing to cooperate because he didn't wanted to lose her. Afterwards, he began to expand his options with a handful of new friends here and there. The DnD episode was when he learned to use his powers to have fun with others instead of just by himself.
>>
File: 1708481687795.jpg (113 KB, 736x1089)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>
>>41220450
While chaos is not inherently evil it's way easier for it to be evil then 'good', so there's a bit of a trap with trying to redeem such a character in the first place.
Gradually declining talent of writers didn't help one bit either.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.