[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: king.jpg (157 KB, 640x640)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
Why don't boomers know about King Crimson? It seems that only millenials and zoomers know about them. I was talking to my boomer uber driver and he mentioned that he thought Yes were the best band to ever live and that he listened to them a lot during his roller blading phase in the early 70s, I asked him if he had ever heard of King Crimson and he said no, I even told him their first album was released in 1969 and he didn't seem to know them at all, what gives? For the record he did know about genesis and said he saw them live a long time ago.
>>
>>
>>122695112
>he mentioned that he thought Yes were the best band to ever live
he's kind of right there. As for your king crimson question, they always had more of a cult following instead of a mass appeal, first cause the band kind of broke apart after their debut even though they had a great break through at hyde park, then because fripperoni had this nasty habit of breaking the band up whenever they were close to getting successful. Also most boomers into yes probably only really know the stuff around big generator and if they say they're into genesis it's most likely the 80ies phil colins era that they mean
>>
(you)
>>
>>122695112
>Why don't boomers know about King Crimson
Because they're shit
>>
>>122695112
ITCHCOCK was quite successful initially but after that they lost the plebs, this list https://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5314 might be the best equivalent of the RYM chart back in the day and they only have one album in the top 1,000 (at #193)
>>
>>122695112
Are you American? This band was way more popular in Europe.
>>
>>122695112
There are 3 guys i know who listen to king crimson and they are all boomers
>>
>>122695112
Have you ever been to a record store? I guarantee you the boomers there will know of them and likely be fans.
>>
>>122698315
>15. U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
>highest Aphex Twin album at #922
>>
>>122695740
>if they say they're into genesis it's most likely the 80ies phil colins era that they mean
literally every single boomer i have ever met, one dude had even had peter gabriel's solo albums, but none of his genesis projects, like wtf
>>
I was in rehab with this 70 yo boomer and we would listen to shit like king crimson, Donavan butthole surfers, king gizzard (he showed me them), the newest mgmt album etc and he had a speaker on his mobility scooter that he used. We’d talk music all day and he’d tell me crazy stories about qualuudes mescaline and shit lol miss him.
>>
>>122700483
pre-80s Genesis were pretty big in Europe but not so much in the US
>>
>>122695112
I love Yes (pre-Topogaphic) and King Crimson
>>
File: kingcrimson.jpg (372 KB, 960x540)
372 KB
372 KB JPG
His ability was vague at best.
>>
>>122695112
>during his roller blading phase in the early 70s

they didn't have roller blades in the early 70s. Maybe roller skates. Court of the Crimson King, 21st century skitzoid man were hits. But not as big as Yes. Today, critics like King Crimson, maybe they always did, but Yes, Genesis, ELP were bigger than King Crimson.
>>
Boomer dads that go a little beyond surface level rock tend to know them
>>
>>122700994
>DUDE TRANIME LMAO
>>
>>122695740

I disagree with your timeline. I'm late Gen X. I listened to the rock of the day and classic rock from the 60s and 70s. I was a Gen X teen when Owner of a lonely heart was on the radio 82-83. Go back 10 years to Close to the Edge or Fragile, that makes a young boomer. The youngest boomer in 1972 was 8, the oldest was 26. So at least half were paying attention to rock when Fragile came out. Additionally, if this is a straight white male, he knows the classic rock standards. Roundabout, Yours is No Disgrace couple of others. Big hits that people would know from classic rock for 20+ years after 1972.
>>
File: 1707312297667.png (418 KB, 449x400)
418 KB
418 KB PNG
ConstruKction of Light is kino and no one can say otherwise
>>
File: ST_TheMenagerie.jpg (10 KB, 365x273)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>122700430
>>
>>122700826

gizz
>>
I heard it was because they thought it was weird devil lover crap and didn't give it a chance
>>
I have a boomer relative who loves Yes and ELP, and when I played Genesis and King Crimson around him he called it "weird shit"
>>
>>122701202
tranime website faggot, blow that pozzload out your ass
>>
>>122695112
it was music catered for college students type, like anco or pavement
>>
>>122695112
weeb shit artwork
>>
>>122703568
would he like something like tarkus or is he only aware of the normie songs like karn evil 9 part 2 and lucky man?
>>
>>122705391
I don't think anime looked like that in the 60s
>>
>>122703568
Genesis can get sporky
>>
>>122703568
Which KC song did you play for him? I could see something like Moonchild or Larks being called weird shit by the uninitiated but they have plenty of great conventional songs like 21st Century Schizoid Man and Starless.
>>
>>122706370
look at the big atomic bomb damaged eyes
>>
>>122695112
nobody knows about them, they have under 1 million spotify listeners
even my bloody valentine which is supposed to be indie has more
>>
hell of a lot of the boomers I know know KC
>>
>>122695112
King Crimson are prog for people who don't like prog
>>
>>122707052
followers' a better metric:

Pink Floyd 20.4m
Genesis 3.4m
Rush 2.3m
Yes 1.9m
Jethro Tull 1.9m
King Crimson 1.2m
Porcupine Tree 0.7m
The Mars Volta 0.7m

so yes the general public don't know about them but they're pretty famous among real music fans
>>
>>122695112
I'm not surprised because I'm 34 and know more classic rock than my boomer parents. I have two uncles that are very talented guitarists and I always held them in high regard. That said, neither of them have heard of King Crimson.
>>
>>122703568
Maybe be less autistic and just play him something from Disclipline?
>>
King Crimson's always been the "nerdier" group of the major prog rock bands. Not obscure by any means but lacked the appeal and accessibility of stuff like Yes and Genesis.

Even before King Crimson started getting more experimental and "avant-garde", their earlier stuff wasn't exactly catchy or hook-y.
>>
>>122709870
Then he'll think it's a Talking Heads cover band.
>>
>>122710911
kek
>>
Movies overstate what was really popular at that time do you really think LZ was being played in every america household ? Don't be misled, they were a small post-Beatles fad. The most rock was party music, uplifting crap like journey or ballads, mostly ballads. KC was always bottom of the barrel nerdy stuff that could be lumped in with the rest of the Krautrock stuff.
>>
>>122695112
A lot of boomers are still pissed Bob Dylan went electric and thought the Dave Clark 5 were the american Beatles.
>>
>>122695112
Boomers had 100 vinyl album's, maybe some 8-tracks in their collection. You can stream every album ever made.
>>
>>122709870
Discipline is far, far more dorky and autistic than 70s KC
>>
>>122695112
Enough boomers would have had to have known about them in order for them to have any success.

Prog has a niche audience so most of the normies back in the day probably didn't care much for them if they even heard any of their music to begin with.
>>
bump
>>
>>122700994
Yeah. Never understood that shit. He “erases time”? How does that work? Time is a man made concept
>>
>>122702382
But any other "Devil lover" band such as Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin was fine?
>>
>>122709501
I thought that was Pink Floyd. I swear most Pink Floyds don't fuck with Prog or at least they barely do from what I've encountered
>>
You don't know any boomer
>>
>>122719213
maybe because Pink Floyd are barely prog
>>
>>122695112
I saw this thread days ago
Have you really been astroturfing it this whole time?
>>
File: plumpton.jpg (45 KB, 500x341)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
My dad knew the name King Crimson but never heard a song before i showed him. I think there's two main reasons normie boomers mostly missed out on them:
1. the original band (AKA the most popular one) only made one album before splitting up and never getting back together. overall KC left a grand legacy, but the story of "oh this guitarist made an album then fired the whole band then made a new album then fired the whole band again and then made a new album" is not as viral a legacy than Yes or Genesis left. It's the sort of thing that doesn't stick in people's minds as much unless they really dig the music, fripp failed to ride the memetic wave they caught in 1969. The boomers who do know KC know them because of court and not larks or discipline, and much more would know them if they stuck around and made more albums with that same lineup, but unfortunately the breakup after the american tour killed the long-term hype, I think itwop was received as more of a flavor-of-the-month type deal when it came out rather than the grand successor of the hit debut album. Still popular, but the popularity wasn't lasting, they were somewhat irrelevant by the time Sinfield was fired and Larks band was set up
2. they never broke through with a big radio hit. Schizoid Man and Court of the Crimson King are on radio stations SOMETIMES i think, but from what I hear it's kinda rare, i've never encountered a KC song in the wild (american btw). They really tried breaking into radio with songs like Heartbeat and Three of a Perfect Pair, but they just never really caught mainstream attention because they refused to stoop to regular time signatures and whatnot. Part of why Yes and Genesis are so popular today is because they did eventually sell out and the quality got worse, King Crimson has a more consistently prog discography than the lot of them, and prog just wasn't that popular anymore since 1975.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.