[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: german girls 2.png (511 KB, 992x558)
511 KB
511 KB PNG
The content of the music of 80's acts like sonic youth, pixies, pavement, dinosaur jr... is simmilar of contemporary indie artists at the time. So why the "official history" is trying to sell them like game-changer groups? They were part of a sound, the 80's college rock/indie, but far from being unique musical propositions.
They aren't even idyosincratic acts like beefheart, bo diddley or some of 70's post punk acts.
>>
same goes for replacements, husker du, minutemen
>>
Funny when people saying, eg, pixies were some kind of cartesian turn or some shit when in fact it was power pop dynamics. Really groundbreaking acts like pre 50's bluesmen, rockabilly, reggae, ska, bo diddley, ornette coleman, james brown... Not overrated names like pixies, pavement, sonic youth, dinosaur jr, minutemen, replacements, husker du and the rest of the bunch of "seminal" 80's bands not even as groundbreaking as late 70's post punk movement for example.
>>
>>122705934
This doesn’t apply to GBV
>>
minutemen is just funk pastiche made by college students
>>122706204
>GBV
they're good but indebted to british invasion acts
>>
>>122705934
>pavement
>80s

>>122706083
>Really groundbreaking acts like pre 50's bluesmen, rockabilly, reggae, ska, bo diddley, ornette coleman, james brown
I'm seeing a pattern here. I wonder what
>>
>>122706279
But they sound nothing like British Invasion acts except maybe in vocal inflections, which makes it even better. They have a completely unique aesthetic.

Tell me some good bands from this time. I’m interested
>>
>>122706339
Gbv is fucking power pop with alternative lense. There's nothing unique about them. Except that the main songwriter made it big as an oldfart and always write songs shorter than 2 minutes
>>
>>122705934
moronic question
>>
>>122706385
You’ve obviously not listened to much of it then. Fusing noise, psychedelia, rock, avant garde, etc. Lofi perfection.

Also, not surprising you dodged the question where I asked you to name the GOOD bands of this time, if all these bands suck so bad.
>>
>>122705934
camper van beethoven
>>
>>122705934
>tfw no lantern jawed 30s fraulein

>>122706472
this
>>
>>122705934
i hate nazis, but i do love titty inspection day.

beefheart is trash and so is your opinion.
>>
>>122706316
pavement 89
and nice try but this isn't about identity politics
>>
bump
>>
>>122706472
alt rock with ska with country should have been its own genre
>>
>>122707816
Up
>>
>>122705934
Murifats couldn't into new wave and couldn't into prog. So if you're a murrican nationalist like 99% of music critics this proto landfill indie was your only choice.
>>
>>122705934
2nd girl from the left looks like Mike Love
>>
>>122705934
When the alternative is Wham! and Bon Jovi then yes, Sonic Youth and Minutemen sound pretty fucking radical.
>>
>>122711338
>names two acts far better than Sonic Youth and the Minutemen
>>
>>122711217
Kek. So true
>>122711338
But in the Big scheme of things is like You said
>>
up
>>
>>122705934
>simmilar
stop writing, it's not for you
>>
>>122711338
kek this

you gotta realize how it was before the internet. most people were getting music from mtv or the radio, maybe if you were really into it youd read the magazines or know some people and go to shows, but you also had to spend money and buy records instead of being able to stream for free so the selection of music was a lot more limited. exposure to this sort of guitar music when all you were familiar with was big radio pop rock bands like beatles, kiss, stones, led zeppelin, hair metal etc this stuff sounds a lot more daring and it was able to achieve decent exposure to segments of the population and mass markets of music enthusiasts. the ability to do this was a lot more dependent on ability to tour, resources, and connections with major labels who could get them on radio, mtv, or in record shops and namechecked in the papers. now the ability to discover obscure music is a lot easier to do and you can find music more suited to certain niches a lot more easily and find what you want to listen to from a pool of everything ever record based on what you want to hear, vs back in the day when you only really knew about what the radio played or magazines, guys at record stores/colleges/weed dealers/etc, and the tv told you about
>>
>>122706279
>minutemen
>funk

Does /mu/ know the least about their niche interest out of all the boards on 4chan?
>>
>>122719670
Hell, I'd argue that even The Beatles could sound revelatory to a kid in the '80s otherwise reared on pop radio and ad jingles. There was a period when their stock wasn't at a permanent sky high, mostly thanks to Macca's solo career, and while Lennon's death was the first step to sainthood they were unfashionable for a while (only natural). Streamlining the catalog for its CD debut, thereby making it accessible for consumers old and new, is one of the savviest moves in popular music history, perhaps only beaten by somehow moving 30,000,000 copies of 1 in the new millennium.

Nostalgia culture hadn't fully taken hold yet, so people weren't constantly exposed to old shit the way they are today. For music, this massive undertaking of reevaluating/-discovering the past really begins with the compact disc overtaking vinyl, which sends entire discographies back into print, and then of course goes into overdrive with the internet and filesharing.
>>
>>122705934
Music isn't about who did what first
>>
>>122705934

they were part of a scene.

Thurston and J were in Velvet Monkeys together.

https://youtu.be/8SJ6iX7tur8?si=_GieaCBZvKvpKV2s

hard indie rock or college rock from that era was very influential and has had long lasting popularity. dino jr plays, the pixies play, people show up.
>>
>>122711366

oh, no, you're totally wrong.

sonic youth, dino jr, the pixies. all great and interesting and influential.

wham is fag top 40 pop music, and bon jovi is standard generic rock.

people with inferior musical taste tend to like really popular stuff, they aren't very smart, don't like indie stuff, which is better. nothing wrong with bon jovi, generic, basic, but rock and popular.
>>
>>122719670

good and true
>>
>>122719704

by and large, people on mu don't know much about music circa 2024.
>>
https://youtu.be/LeCYXexOZEg?t=1473
>>
ESL thread
>>
>>122719670
A lot of interesting stuff was out of print in the 80s and 90s so you'd read descriptions of the music in newspapers, magazines and books before you actually heard it which built up the lore in your head as zoomies might say. So yeah, I'm glad I discovered music when it wasn't instantaneous.
>>
>>122720803
Influential is not necessarily a good thing. Plenty of terrible ideas and styles have been influential throughout history and in the present. The melodic quality of a song like "Last Christmas" is better than anything those indie bands ever produced (although of those mentioned the Pixies did occasionally come close to writing great melodies). The triumphant euphoria of "Living on a Prayer" is beyond the capability of those acts.

And I say that as someone who doesn't particularly like Wham or Bon Jovi. "Indie" is the epitome of style over substance. Like Punk, Indie relies heavily on attitude because the music is just not of very good quality. It's easy to have the correct attitude. It is much harder to craft great songs.
>>
>>122719704
funk influenced
>>
>>122705934
>>122706316
Bump

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.