[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1720668007780.jpg (49 KB, 600x474)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
why is the guitar so hard? with the piano, all i need to know is where the notes are located and play them. i might be slow but pressing a key is easy. with the guitar i have to torture my hand to play a chord.
>>
>>122719996
ukelele solves this but no one wants to talk about that because the only songs that use it are apology videos
>>
>>122719996
Yeah, but guitar has the trade off of looking cool.
If it's really too much, just tune to an open chord and play slide.
>>
>>122720013
Also race-baity vacation commercials.
>>
why are burgers so race obsessed
>>
>>122720067
what do you mean, F1 is way more popular in yurop
>>
>>122719996
I always hear about the piano being harder because you need a teacher while the guitar is more intuitive
>>
>>122720013
Some ukulele songs can be good
https://youtu.be/rqfDjmAkq7U?si=pxcCBVDd1drAitY9
>>
Guitar is harder to get into but easier to master, piano is easier to get into but much harder to master
>>
you can get away with sloppiness on guitar. we have entire genres and scenes dedicated to it. piano, good luck.
>>
it's easier in a lot of ways because intervals are right next to each other. you can do all sorts of stuff and barely move your hand. you just need to practice scales and intervals. make it so you immediately know which fret is which interval for your note
>>
>>122719996
Is this an actual photo of you trying to play guitar?
>>
>>122720201
>piano being harder because you need a teacher
just press the button nigga
how hard can it be?
>>
>>122720201
>>122719996
>>122722977
Piano looks easier because you press a key and it makes a sound but once you dig deeper piano can be very bullshit.
First of all, chords and scales don't transfer as easily on piano as on a guitar. On guitar you you move your hand one fret away and that's it
Another difficulty piano has is having to play with both hands. You have two hands which means you need to play two independent lines
>>
>>122720236
Not too sure about that.
>>122723037
Coordination isn't really any easier on guitar, once you're playing at a high level you'll be playing simultaneous patterns in your plucking hand.
>>
>>122719996
Guitar is hard because you're a tranny and your wormed brain can't grasp the notion of dedication and practice. Taking hormones and crying on the internet is easier so that's what you do.
>>
>>122723037
Neurologically speaking fingerstyle guitar is still harder work because the roles of each hand are so different while every digit is engaged.
>>
>Actually playing music instruments without just listening to them

Ishiggydiggy

Also carpal tunnel
>>
>>122723176
So like piano then
>>
>>122723247
The difference is that you'll generally have each hand acting in coordination with itself, whereas in the top levels of guitar music you might get individual digits acting independently. Not that I think there is any meaningful difference between the two instruments played at top level, determining which is "harder" is a pointless exercise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgHhszXY9yU
>>
>>122719996
All things worth doing are hard. If you want easy, just go watch TV, scroll on your phone, play a video game, read a book, etc.
>>122723156
This.
>>
>>122723319
Beautiful piece.
>>
>>122720662
if anything the opposite is true. Show me a classical guitarist getting away with sloppiness
>>122720201
guitar is utterly unintuitive, at a certain level that might be the main challenge of the instrument, while the piano is the most intuitive instrument ever made.
>>
>>122719996
Uh what? The piano is WAY more difficult to learn than the guitar, I play both and the guitar is piss-easy in comparison
>>
>>122721285
stock image
>>
I only play single notes and power chords :)
>>
>>122724501
I only play one note (F#).
>>
>>122720201
That's wrong.
>>
>>122720067
because they actually live with niggers
>>
>>122719996
>guitar so hard
because you're dumb anon you either should get lessons or use lighter strings
>>
>>122723319
Yea but playing two independent lines on a guitar is rather uncommon while on piano its pretty much mandatory
Yea you can like do doubletapping and shit like that

People think piano is easy because you just play the key and it already sounds, while on a guitar you need to learn the initial way to strum, but beyond that piano is pretty damn hard
people watch this "how to be PRO at piano in 1 minute" tiktok shit where guy plays one chord with pentatonic scale and think it all that it takes
>>
How hard is a piano guitar? You know, like a harpeji?
>>
>>122724872
Like a synth or what?
>>
>>122724847
>Yea but playing two independent lines on a guitar is rather uncommon
Happens all the time in classical music. Of course rock guitar and most jazz is a different matter.
>while on piano its pretty much mandatory
Not really the case in a lot of music, this again only really happens in classical styles and some jazz.
>>
>>122724903
I was thinking more of grid design. There's a bunch of grid controllers now, the typical tuning looks like semitone rows with columns a fourth apart. They just don't make many of them that are big enough to actually have a decent range, look at something like the push 3 with fucking 64 notes, of which gets you about 3 octaves of range.
>>
>>122724934
>>122723319
>in the top levels of guitar music you might get individual digits acting independently
This happens in the piano at the top level as well, just look at stuff like 4-5 voice fugues and pieces that demand polyrhythms, or extreme finger independence.

It's very pointless to compare instruments in this way, since at the high levels every instrument has bullshit that's insanely hard, and it would take anyone at least a decade to master, regardless of other factors.
>>
>>122725048
>It's very pointless to compare instruments in this way, since at the high levels every instrument has bullshit that's insanely hard, and it would take anyone at least a decade to master, regardless of other factors.
Yes exactly. Are we going to pretend like violin, trumpet etc. are the simplest instruments because the majority of music only requires them to play a single voice?
>>
It is objectively harder to play a note or a chord on guitar than it is to play the same thing on piano, therefore guitar is the harder instrument
>but you have to play all these things at the same time
The proof that you can even do that on piano is proof that it is the easier instrument
>>
>>122719996
It's not that hard. Your hands will get conditioned to playing if you keep up with it. New players tend to press down harder than necessary on the strings and/or play chords with less efficient fingerings.
>>
>>122725210
this is a pointless comparison clearly from someone who hasn't achieved a high level on any instrument. It is obvious to anyone with half a brain that piano is the easiest instrument to start with. Beyond that, comparing instruments becomes pointless since every instrument becomes incredibly difficult, regardless of initial difficulty.
>>
>>122719996
Nigger (rock) guitar is easy as shit. You just play the same chords over and over. You just suck.
>>
>>122725418
>piano is easy at the start and gets very difficult at high levels
>guitar starts difficult and gets more difficult
So piano is easier
>>
>>122725454
Easier to start with, do you not know how to read?
>>
>>122725478
>easier
You agreed with me
>>
>>122725454
Counter argument: To play dadrock you need 4 chords and just strum all strings without hitting most of the notes correctly which is easier to play piano songs
>>
>>122725528
Most bands the keyboard guy also only plays the 4 chords and nobody cares, you're talking as if every pianist amateur or not plays chopin
>>
File: 1720711425590.jpg (223 KB, 737x737)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>122725296
i can't get the D string to make a sound when playing an A major chord. i have to press down painfully hard on that string. the finger placement gives no room for any other choice.
>>
>>122725494
I'm making a very important distinction, it's only easier to make sounds, not to actually play stuff. It's obvious you don't get it because you're not a musician.
Try playing a Bach fugue and then come back and talk about how "easy" it is. There is NOTHING easy in music, everything requires practice and discipline. Even to get to the "dude who plays only 4 chords in the piano/guitar" there had to be some degree of effort, even if both instruments can do much more.
>>
>>122725596
Now play that same bach fugue on guitar, without removing anything, note by note
Guitar is the harder instrument
>>
>>122725585
Swap finger 2 with finger 1 or alternatively you can bar the notes with your index finger.
>>
>>122725624
That makes no sense, the fugue was written for keyboard, not for guitar, of course it would be harder on a guitar. It's like those symphonic arrangements (Like the Beethoven-LIszt Symphonies). A single piano can play as many lines as 4 guitars can, or as many notes as an entire orchestra, does it make guitar esasier? According to you, yes.
>>
>>122725585
Bend your hand a little more so the index finger presses closer to the second fret
>>
>>122725624
Now play triad inversions on piano
>>
>>122725663
>the fugue was written for keyboard, not for guitar, of course it would be harder on a guitar
The logic is simple, most things written for guitar can be played on piano note by note (assuming no weird percussion or harmonics and shit) but the reverse doesn't work, simply because because it's much easier to play just about anything on piano
You're the one arguing in circle
>>
Guitar is fucking easy. You're just learning the wrong shit.

Start by listening to the first 2 Black Sabbath albums, and look up tabs to play their riffs. Do not play the solos yet!

Then move on to AC/DC. This will introduce you to some basic open chords. Again, just find tabs. Don't look up chord charts.

Then get tabs for Stairway To Heaven once you're comfortable playing a few riffs. Now you're doing all the basic open chords, but it's arpeggiated so you know to leave every string ringing.

Now actually go and learn the chords. Instead of being overwhelmed by new information, you'll look at them and say "Oh, that's that chord from Back In Black, and I remember that one from Stairway".

Until you can do that, you're not ready to start knowing what the notes are called or reading sheet music. You need to work on getting your fingers moving first.
>>
>>122725701
I understand your point, and I've already agreed. What you fail to understand is that no instrument is harder than the other because, you can always keep getting harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHXGBg6aCGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQw3DvqEbxI

None of that is "easy"

My point is that neither instrument is easier, only easy to pick up. Which is an important distinction
Say, the difficulty scale goes from 1 to 10. The piano is a 0 to pick up and the guitar is a 1, what happens to the rest of the scale? Obviously both instruments go to 10
>>
>>122725796
Pick any point on a graph and the guitar is always harder, simply because there's more actions to do do produce a single note. "But they both get infinitely hard" is beside the point
>>
>>122725849
>"But they both get infinitely hard" is beside the point
It's the entire point, do you not know how to read?

>simply because there's more actions to do do produce a single note.
While this is true, it just means that the piano can produce more notes per second, which then is as many actions per second as the guitar, a pointless comparison.
>>
>>122725875
I'm arguing that the guitar is the harder instrument and all you're yapping is "but they're really hard", sure looks more like you missed the point and not me
>While this is true, it just means that the piano can produce more notes per second
Because it's easier to play
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (56 KB, 1159x628)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
btw here's a funny graph
>>
>>122720067
jewish conditioning
>>
File: graph.png (113 KB, 1159x628)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>>122725958
Here's a funnier graph
>>
>>122725585
You play A chord wrong. You would know this if you spend a little time watching FREE lessons from justinguitar but you couldn't put effort even into that.
The answer is to put fingers in different order: 2-1-3
>>
>>122725907
My whole point is that the instrument is easy to pick up, but it stops there

>>122725958
This graph is wrong, after the initial levels both instruments require the same skill. Since the piano is easier to produce sounds (I agree with you on this) you simply start playing much more notes much earlier. Doesn't mean that either instrument takes more skill beyond the pickup stage.
>>
>>122724204
No it isnt
>>
>>122725999
There are multiple ways to play that chord newfag. Go back to your justinguitar and (((marty))) videos
>>
>>122726045
There are but he is not on that level yet. And neither are you, else you would post a vocaroo instead of talking shit
>>
>>122726058
Ive been playing for 16 years faggot. You knowing the content of justin guitar videos shows you have only been playing a couple and are in no position to give advice. KWAB.
>>
>>122725725
Sure, but 10 or 20 years ago. Now all of that is pre-beginner level guitar. Starting to learn joe pass or ted greene type arrangements or clumsily improvising legato lines over jazz standards, or transcribing and arranging bach chorales for solo guitar is the beginner level in this day and age
>>
>>122726127
He is right, though. That is probably the easiest fingering for a new player. There's technically no "wrong" fingering, but for the purposes of helping this guy out, it's solid advice even though he's being an asshole about it lol.
>>
>>122723124
>Not too sure about that.
It's 100% true
>>
>>122726324
do make that claim with confidence you have got to have some clearly defined skill ceiling for both instruments. Do you?
>>
it's like anything else. if you want to get good you have to practice your ass off.
piano is perfect for learning sight-reading, music theory and composition. Guitar is for picking up girls.
>>
>>122726469
>Guitar is for picking up girls.

How old are you, 60?

Guitar hasn't been good for picking up girls since the 90s.
>>
Holy shit this thread finally puts into perspective how little you clowns actually know about music. For a music board it’s hilarious that none of you actually play instruments.
>>
>>122726127
16 years of playing and still have zero clue how the instrument works
What a shame, honestly

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.