[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

A bass player’s face when I tell them bass is the most important instrument. Works every time.
>>
it is also undeniably true
>>
>>79440232
Bass is the most important instrument, there has never been a good band with a boring bassist.
>>
>>79440279
There has.
Drums, on the other hand...
>>
>>79440232
Yeah, telling the truth is a good thing
>>
>>79440296
Bass is literally the most important instrument in contemporary music. Drums wouldn't be relevant without the bass to glue the harmony and rhythm of a song together.
>>
>>79440823
>Drums wouldn't be relevant without the bass to glue the harmony and rhythm of a song together.
brainlet
literally every voice in a piece has "rhythm"
>>
only if they are playing reggae
>>
guitar = drums > bass
>>
>>79440856
Yes, this is true, but humans detect and lock into rhythms played in the low frequency spectrum much more easily. The entire concept of groove in contemporary western music is based on the steady low frequency pulse of the bass and the contrast of the snare's dynamic accent versus the bass drum's metric accent.
>>
>>79440904
*guitar=bass>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>drums
>>
>>79442684
t. earlet
A good drummer can save a mediocre song, and transform an average song into a great one.
>>
Post god-tier bassists
>>
>>79442731
>>79440296
Literally was gonna post this
>>
The reality is most of the time the guitar and vocal melodies have to be on point for a song to be enjoyable. Drums and Bass are important too but are both secondary. They have the potential to make good songs great. I am a bassist myself because i like the THICC sounds
>>
>>79443409
Side note: While I don't think they're quite as critical, bands that drown out their rhythm sections sound dull as fuck
>>
>>79442792
inb4 all the obvious answers like Claypool, Jaco, etc.
Pic related could keep up with Paul Gilbert in his prime, and has only seemed to get better with age. And he's got the fattest fucking tone
>>
>>79443409
>>79443469
really depends how important the groove is in the genre they're making
I can't think of a good rock song without good drum work
it's also up to the producer and the mixing engineer to not JUST things up with poor decisions
>>
>>79440279
Bullshit. I'm an aspiring bassist, I love bass guitar, but half the normies listening to songs on their ibuds in 128kbps aac don't even hear the bass half the time. It may be important to the creative process of the song, but not to the finished product.
>>
>>79440253
This. Even guitar and drum duos like the Black Keys and the White Stripes will (poorly) emulate bass with their guitar, often by using a thumb pick
>>
>>79443571
The genre thing is a good point. I was trying to speak as broadly as possible but certain genres certainly give more weight to drums/bass. Can't have a good funk (or funk pop/rock) record without good bass. Agree that drums make rocks records as well, pic related
>>
>>79443591
the bass is very critical when mixing a song, it glues the drums to the rest of the instruments
you may not hear it but you'd notice if you took it out
>>
>>79443733
on a general level I'd say all music that descends from blues and jazz needs solid drum parts
>>
File: Percy Jones.jpg (33 KB, 541x494)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>79442792
>>
I can't even hear the bass guitar on most songs.

It's a useless instrument only played by people who can't the handle the (superior) six strings of a guitar.

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be bass players.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.